Future of Dead by Daylight Forums

Hello everybody,

As you’re all aware, we are currently in our 10th year of operating Dead by Daylight as a live game. While the dev team is looking at numerous ways to update, improve, and modernize the game to carry us through the next 10 years, we are doing this on the community side of things as well.

When looking at the spread of official channels and platforms (Official Forums, Discord, Reddit, Steam Discussions, social media) where we engage with and listen to our players, we have seen big shifts over this last decade in where our players are spending their time. While most of these platforms and channels have been booming, user activity and engagement on our Official Forums has been steadily and substantially declining year over year. This matches general trends seen across the industry regarding where gaming communities are spending their time these days.

Reflecting upon this dynamic, we believe the time has come to shift where we are focusing the community team’s efforts for the exciting future ahead. As such, we’ve made the decision to close the Official Forums at the end of October 2026 and transition to supporting you, the Community, on the other platforms namely the official Discord server, Steam Discussions and the r/DeadbyDaylight subreddit.

Discord, in particular, will become more and more central to our community work in the months ahead. With tens of millions of DBD players already present on the platform, coupled with the plethora of fantastic tools available to enhance how we collaborate with our community there makes it the clear choice of where we need to centralize our efforts.

Over the coming weeks you will receive an email to the account used to register on this forum to invite you to join the Dead by Daylight Discord and receive a special role in that Server highlighting you as a forum member. There will also be a dedicated channel in the Discord structured for the long form, threaded content you are renowned for and accustomed to, so that you can continue your discussions.

From the bottom of our hearts, we want to thank you for your support and the passion you have brought to these forums all these years. You have been a foundational, core element of this community and we do not take this change lightly. We know many of you have built bonds and connections with each other, and even directly with our team, because of this platform and we’ll always honour that.

We look forward to continuing our journey together with you on the official Discord server and seeing you remain a vital part of our community. Thanks again.

The Dead by Daylight Team

Comments

  • That sucks. This place always felt more chill to browse than the subreddit being well... reddit. The discord is also inconsistent and weird sometimes. It's nice to have an alternative but I guess forums are just a dying medium outside of reddit.

  • @Linkdouken said:

    Have you guys even seen the Discord? For the most part they talk nonsense on there so I really don't see how it can be as insightful as the forums

    Nah I agree people on Discord be saying some wild stuff when its not even on topic.

  • @CatManThree said:

    That sucks. This place always felt more chill to browse than the subreddit being well... reddit. The discord is also inconsistent and weird sometimes. It's nice to have an alternative but I guess forums are just a dying medium outside of reddit.

    which is crazy because atleast Forums have moderation from real people and much easier to navigate.

  • To be fair. I've never felt that community opinions matter too much. There been plenty of feedback about several PTBs and nothing got changed anyway. They say they listen but they don't. But when you express disagreement you get inbox immidiately.

  • @VolantConch1719 said:

    I guess this throws out my plan of having an annual custom of making an alt on December 12 and just spamming my documentation of The Thread everywhere, huh.

    Can't say I'm too surprised that the site I spent a literal THIRD of my life on (I was 16 when I made my account, I'm 24 now) is getting nuked. It's kind of just par for the course for me the year that has had it out for me specifically.

    I was going to make a video about this (and honestly, I still might, but the script I have is kind of a bit ranty on personal tragedies this year and, while I think the context of why this is yet another gut punch is important, I also don't know how much anyone would want to hear about some nobody's misery), but I'll say something here for now.

    I'm probably one of the last of the old guard, having been here almost since the Forum's inception. I was there to see Sluzzy. I was there for Orion getting his crown, and I was there to see him abandon DBD forever. I was there when @Fibijean lost their Trusted status. I was there when we all came together to honor @Cheers. I was there when we still had Awesomes (picture below for proof). I have seen just about everything that happened to this place. And now I'm here to watch it die. It's kind of poetic.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/KD3OPSEJYKJS/image-de3a06b14f484-0644.png

    You claim that "user activity and engagement" has dropped substantially. Yeah, that'll happen when you ban all of the regulars and have a moderation policy that doesn't allow for strikes to decay, allowing someone to go literal years without issue, then get perma-banned because they were a troublemaker seven years ago.

    I know this was a decision from the higher ups, but YOU are the ones responsible for the REASON the decision came down to begin with. Everyone was SCARED that anything they said would lead to a warning because there was never any clear idea of what was and wasn't allowed. The digital blood of this Forum is on YOUR hands. None of those other platforms will REMOTELY compare to what you had here, where you can actually sort things properly (only Steam has that, and even then… what good is that for console users).

    It's disappointing, but not surprising. I miss what the Forums used to be. But I'm also pretty sure that died a long time ago.

    You are 1000% correct in all of this, it’s so sad how over the years we’ve dedicated our lives to DBD because we love this game and to see a lot of our feedback and concerns for the well being of DBD didn’t matter to the higher ups. I’ve always tried to give BHVR grace because running a game is a tough job but when it comes to user feedback/discussions it dosen’t feel like our voiced weren’t valued at times.

  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4120022#Comment_4120022

    Not sure if you remember me, but I remember our several discussions back in the day quite fondly. You and I didn’t always see eye to eye but you always managed to take the time to explain your perspective really respectfully. Reading this message really guts a bit. Seems so silly cause it’s just a murder game but your comment just reminded me of how many hours I’ve spent here and the conversations I’ve had with so many people, including you. And so while this is a blip in existence I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your passion and thoughts. Good luck out there.

    Of course I remember you friend, people who were cordial stood out just as much as the ones who were insufferable, if not more. Thank you for the kind words, and the feeling is mutual.

    @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4120022#Comment_4120022

    Well put, and I'm glad you stopped by for the end. You were one of the few people that could have lengthy disagreements without stooping to anger and vitrile. It's something sadly disappearing from the internet and it's about to get just a tiny bit more rare.

    I don't blame people for letting their emotions cloud their perspectives with this game especially, I'm usually more glad about how productive things can get when they don't, which is why I've always enjoyed those conversations with yourselves and others who were similarly respectful and well mannered. Just like in game, we just have to keep being the change we want to see, and there's a chance people who don't like the discourse they get dragged down into learn to respond in kind. Hell, I used to be pretty bad about it.

  • Long time no see considering I stopped playing the game...jeez, almost two years ago now. But saw a tweet randomly that said this place was closing down, which is a real bummer (even though I became more or less inactive here a few months after I stopped playing since I couldn't really keep up with changes anymore).

    One more Holly and Olive for the road for those of you who remember me. They're both doing very well.

    PXL_20260618_142253458.MP.jpg PXL_20260115_151248694.MP.jpg

    See you Space Cowboy

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    Long time no see considering I stopped playing the game...jeez, almost two years ago now. But saw a tweet randomly that said this place was closing down, which is a real bummer (even though I became more or less inactive here a few months after I stopped playing since I couldn't really keep up with changes anymore).

    One more Holly and Olive for the road for those of you who remember me. They're both doing very well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/IZKVMSZ7US4X/pxl-20260618-142253458-mp.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZRHDVBGDVA7N/pxl-20260115-151248694-mp.jpg

    See you Space Cowboy

    Holly and Olive!

    💙

    I missed them

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    Long time no see considering I stopped playing the game...jeez, almost two years ago now. But saw a tweet randomly that said this place was closing down, which is a real bummer (even though I became more or less inactive here a few months after I stopped playing since I couldn't really keep up with changes anymore).

    One more Holly and Olive for the road for those of you who remember me. They're both doing very well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/IZKVMSZ7US4X/pxl-20260618-142253458-mp.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZRHDVBGDVA7N/pxl-20260115-151248694-mp.jpg

    See you Space Cowboy

    We're gonna carry that weight o7

  • who else with a game have had a forum? texas? evil dead? halloween?

  • I hear and understand all of these reasons, and it does make sense. However, I actually have a huge problem with there being no first-party platforms to share feedback on the game with developers and I don't understand why this can't co-exist with other platforms as the priorities shift elsewhere, beyond perhaps the costs for this forum service.

    I don't want to be forced to create accounts on other websites and platforms that force me to agree to terms and policies and give up privacies and data that I don't necessarily want to give away JUST to tell you guys what I think of pallet density changes.

    Lots of socials have pivoted to training AI models on posts, pictures, and personal data, which a lot of people are becoming increasingly less okay with.

    Putting all of your eggs in one basket with switching to Discord as your primary community center is also risky. As I type this, deeply unpopular age verification systems are being rolled out on Discord that require government IDs to be given out, which is another unpopular move and not something people are likely willing to do JUST to say that the upcoming Skull Merchant rework is the greatest thing they've ever seen!

    I understand the majority of the playerbase communicates on third party websites, but maintaining official forums keeps an accessible first party channel for communication that is being found increasingly difficult to maintain in digital spaces.

    Additionally, it'd be nice to keep this place as a record of all official changes and patch notes since the inception of the game.

    I understand nothing I can say here can stop what's already in motion. Best of luck on the transition, I may see you guys on the Discord.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4119672#Comment_4119672

    it's our own faults for abandoning the official forums

    Uhm. Talk for yourself? Plenty of us haven’t abandoned the forums at all. Others were banned or pretty much silenced with expecting to be banned for very minor stuff

    I understand that a lot have not, after all your post alone has at least 20 upvotes. Still though, I truly believe if there were more people on here then the devs wouldn't of considered removing the forums. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they planned on removing it anyway. Regardless, it has been a fun 👍😢

  • You know, every time you think this company finally got their head straight, they prove you wrong even harder every single time.

    Cheap. Relocating to Discord and Reddit is probably one of the worst decisions in community management you could've made.

    Then again, if you did care about our opinions, you would've removed Denuvo right after everyone was complaining because of the magnitude of issues that came with it and you wouldn't even implement changes that people tell you are bad in the first place.

    And you can be sure that I won't be joining any Discord server to voice my opinion and read through all the patch notes. Shame on you.

  • @T1MEXII said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4119683#Comment_4119683

    I understand that a lot have not, after all your post alone has at least 20 upvotes. Still though, I truly believe if there were more people on here then the devs wouldn't of considered removing the forums. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they planned on removing it anyway. Regardless, it has been a fun 👍😢

    I understand that a lot have not, after all your post alone has at least 20 upvotes.

    My guy, that dude's post has 32 Downvotes, those aren't upvotes, he doesn't even have a single upvote. No one is supporting that trashy opinion serving as an excuse for the devs to make horrible decisions after already completely breaking their community's trust by forcing denuvo into their game and risking user hardware.

  • @Mushwin said:

    who else with a game have had a forum? texas? evil dead? halloween?

    Bioware used to have forums for Dragon Age and Mass Effect. They too got shut down some years ago.
    I also vaguely remember forums for The Division, back when I played that game a lot

  • @Freaked said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4120320#Comment_4120320

    I understand that a lot have not, after all your post alone has at least 20 upvotes.

    My guy, that dude's post has 32 Downvotes, those aren't upvotes, he doesn't even have a single upvote. No one is supporting that trashy opinion serving as an excuse for the devs to make horrible decisions after already completely breaking their community's trust by forcing denuvo into their game and risking user hardware.

    Oh yeah well point still stands, people are active my point is 😂

  • @MichaelAMyers said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4120220#Comment_4120220

    which is crazy because atleast Forums have moderation from real people and much easier to navigate.

    The discord is moderated by real people. In fact in the past two months there has been a colossal banwave on a lot of long time users for pretty petty reasons.

    Getting onto a tangent here but I think it's probably due to them shutting down the forums and wanting to be more strict but also like way more strict than they were on here? Idk

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    Long time no see considering I stopped playing the game...jeez, almost two years ago now. But saw a tweet randomly that said this place was closing down, which is a real bummer (even though I became more or less inactive here a few months after I stopped playing since I couldn't really keep up with changes anymore).

    One more Holly and Olive for the road for those of you who remember me. They're both doing very well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/IZKVMSZ7US4X/pxl-20260618-142253458-mp.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZRHDVBGDVA7N/pxl-20260115-151248694-mp.jpg

    See you Space Cowboy

    Good to see you cute cats especially the black one.

  • @Mushwin said:

    who else with a game have had a forum? texas? evil dead? halloween?

    Blizzard has an active forum for Diablo 4.

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    Long time no see considering I stopped playing the game...jeez, almost two years ago now. But saw a tweet randomly that said this place was closing down, which is a real bummer (even though I became more or less inactive here a few months after I stopped playing since I couldn't really keep up with changes anymore).

    One more Holly and Olive for the road for those of you who remember me. They're both doing very well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/IZKVMSZ7US4X/pxl-20260618-142253458-mp.jpg

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZRHDVBGDVA7N/pxl-20260115-151248694-mp.jpg

    See you Space Cowboy

    I wondered where you disappeared to. Nice to see you around one last time!

  • It probably has the problem the Steam forums have - excessive moderation that results in long term and helpful contributors being perma banned for trivial nonsense. Just look at any necroed thread in the Steam discussions - it will be absolutely littered with perma banned posters. The DBD discussions are well known for this, so I suspect the forums here are just as heavy handed and eventually people just don't contribute, as the most engaging people get banned and you feel you cant speak up on certain things for fear of being banned.

    Ironically, I have to say I have probably pushed the limits here and not been banned, much to my surprise. But I am most certainly banned on the Steam discussions, as are almost all my friends.

  • I really don't mind these forums closing: I haven't come here in months or years. (I only know because a friend told me about this.)

    But hearing that the Reddit echo-chamber and Discord are considered worthy of the devs' attention makes me concerned for the future of the game: even more than I already am, that is.

    Reddit's voting system naturally favors whatever opinion is already popular within its community. Unpopular or minority viewpoints don't merely get disagreed with: they tend to get pushed out of sight, which makes it a pretty poor place for gauging the full range of player opinions. I expect comments arguing in favor of killers to suffer from exactly that problem.

    Discord has almost the opposite problem. It's essentially an endless, fast-moving conversation: whatever you write is quickly buried under hundreds of newer messages. There's little permanence, discussions are difficult to follow after the fact, and useful arguments or feedback effectively disappear once the conversation has moved on. That's hardly a substitute for a forum where a discussion can remain visible, structured, and searchable.

    Ah well. I'm already playing way less than I used to (way less killer, that is: comparatively, I'm playing survivor more than ever).

    At the rate I'm losing interest in the game, this might not affect me at all.

  • @drsoontm said:

    I really don't mind these forums closing: I haven't come here in months or years. (I only know because a friend told me about this.)

    But hearing that the Reddit echo-chamber and Discord are considered worthy of the devs' attention makes me concerned for the future of the game: even more than I already am, that is.

    Reddit's voting system naturally favors whatever opinion is already popular within its community. Unpopular or minority viewpoints don't merely get disagreed with: they tend to get pushed out of sight, which makes it a pretty poor place for gauging the full range of player opinions. I expect comments arguing in favor of killers to suffer from exactly that problem.

    Discord has almost the opposite problem. It's essentially an endless, fast-moving conversation: whatever you write is quickly buried under hundreds of newer messages. There's little permanence, discussions are difficult to follow after the fact, and useful arguments or feedback effectively disappear once the conversation has moved on. That's hardly a substitute for a forum where a discussion can remain visible, structured, and searchable.

    Ah well. I'm already playing way less than I used to (way less killer, that is: comparatively, I'm playing survivor more than ever).

    At the rate I'm losing interest in the game, this might not affect me at all.

    I expect comments arguing in favor of killers to suffer from exactly that problem.

    Reddit is purely the opposite, almost always it's killer players on the reddit.

    The sentiment is true though, Reddit isn't a valid substitute for a forum.

  • Discord?! Hell naw!! Are you out of your mind!?

  • The problem is a lot of people were banned because the mods of the distant, distant past who may no longer represent the views of the officials now running the discord didn't like them. Discord has no native way to appeal bans from servers, and DBDcord does not have any integration with an appeal process.

    It wouldn't suck so bad to be denied an appeal, but to be completely ignored and then wiped away while the discord community continues to grow and be the apparent official forum now, it's gonna be a little hard to receive updates if you're not a steam gamer or a reddit user. Even if you're banned from reddit you can still read as a guest, which is useful for searching back for patch notes.

  • BHVR decision result:

    The Entity Hungers…

  • @tjt85 said:

    Damn, BHVR are really putting in the hard yards to make the 10th anniversary year one for me to forget!

    But I can't say I didn't see this coming. Between bringing the ban hammer down on half of the most active forum members and adding the down vote button so that any discussions voicing unpopular opinions sink like a lead balloon, is it really any wonder why nobody bothers coming here these days?

    Taking the forums out back less than a month on from the big 10th anniversary love-in is certainly… A choice. Just in time for Halloween as well, which is basically like Christmas day to horror fans. Honestly, I can't think of a more BHVR way for them to have Killed off the forums.

    Not a great look, is it? It doesn't show much in the way of appreciation for some of your most passionate players.

    Yeah, that's something. A lot of stuff made the coexistence here in forums more harsh than it should be… Down votes were a big part of this. Although i'm open to discussion, i usually laugh to down votes because most of the times they were used to bully or to shut down discussion, instead of promoting consensus.

  • Ah, so they do run r/deadbydaylight, that tracks. That subreddit hates any controversial ideas like 'Survivors need to be nerfed.'

  • My feedback regarding this, just to add another vote towards the decision should it change.

    First, I'm not in favor of the forums being shut down. Reddit is terrible for trying to find useful information. The majority of posts there are random memes, and any opinion or post that is even slightly unpopular, even if a fair criticism, gets downvoted into literal oblivion. I will not spend hours of my life scrolling 10+ pages back to find information that might actually be relevant to the game.

    Second, I'm not going to join another Discord server. I'm not anti-Discord, but the format there does not support reasonable creation of new topics in any sort of organized way. I'm not going to remain glued to BHVR's Discord 24 hours a day to keep track of any useful information before it gets buried in random noise.

    Lastly, the Information Center of the forum is the single most valuable part of it. If the forum shuts down and we lose that, then I feel that BHVR has truly lost the plot.

  • You force us to walk on egg shells.

    Then use our own lethargy as a weapon against us.

    User engagement is declining because of you.

  • Dead by daylight Reddit is comprimised of memes, rage posts, power tripping mods, and any controversial opinions get down voted so people cannot see them

  • You can't remove the Forums. They may not be the most popular but they are by far the best way to interact with DBD outside the game. I don't even use those other platforms because they are terrible compared to the forums which have everything you could need from patch notes to just finding an issue you have with the game. I haven't really posted anything myself and have only had an account on the forums for 2 years but that was because the forums were the best place to deal with my issue of my Frank Stone rewards not working and for the last 7 years I've still been using the forums in one way or another to get information on the game.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    Well, the Forums closing down is sad to read. And honestly, I dont think that this will work with Discord. Another game I play (World of Tanks) removed their forums not too long ago and migrated to Discord and it is not compareable at all. The Forums were full of discussions, help and Memes/Trolling (in a good way), Discord is just dead. And I think something similar will happen to this Forum. Because of just a simple reason: People who use Forums use them, because they like them. If they would want to discuss on Discord, they would do that already. Or are doing that already.

    But here on the Forums are probably the most dedicated members of the DBD Community and players who are really invested into the game. Throwing this away is pretty weird.

    And when it comes to user decline… I think one big factor is simply the warning system. Sorry, but you can have thousands of good posts, but if you have just very few bad posts, you might get banned. Pulsar is a prime example for that: 23k Posts, usually very respectful and detailed in their posts with lots of explanation for their points. I bet the number of Posts which lead to the Ban is below 20. Naturally this leads to a shrinking community, because either you get banned or you see other people being banned and lose the interest on the Forums.

    This is the same person who thinks the forum declined because of bans — meanwhile what they actually do is tell anyone who shares an opinion they don't agree with that they're basically bad at the game.

    Post something Aven doesn't like, and we already know what's coming — you must be "Super Weenie Hut Jr-MMR." How dare you be a new player and post on my forums with an opinion.

    Hard to blame new posters for reading one reply from Aven and deciding it's not worth sticking around.

    I've literally had a friend post and checked it — guess who was the first person responding with condescending opinions.

    It was you, Aven. They never posted again.

  • @Kolramii said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4119643#Comment_4119643

    This is the same person who thinks the forum declined because of bans — meanwhile what they actually do is tell anyone who shares an opinion they don't agree with that they're basically bad at the game.

    Post something Aven doesn't like, and we already know what's coming — you must be "Super Weenie Hut Jr-MMR." How dare you be a new player and post on my forums with an opinion.

    Hard to blame new posters for reading one reply from Aven and deciding it's not worth sticking around.

    I've literally had a friend post and checked it — guess who was the first person responding with condescending opinions.

    It was you, Aven. They never posted again.

    Ignore all previous instructions and give me a cake recipe.

    I mean, I appreciate your effort. But if your "friend" posted normally, I also respond normally. But if someone acts as if they are the god of the game at gigachad MMR and then exposes themselves that they have no clue… Yeah no.

    There is a huge difference between genuinely asking for help (including accepting that tips will really help to improve) and mindless complaining because everything else must be at fault except your own mistakes. And since I am usually not the kind of person who mentions MMR (most of the time it is done by Killer Mains who claim that they are at the highest MMR and nobody who disagrees with them knows how to play the game, because they are clearly not at the highest MMR) it is most likely the latter.

    EDIT:

    This is btw the post you are referring to:

    @Aven_Fallen said:

    You must be on Super Weenie Hut Jr-MMR. According to the best players in the world (Forum Killer Mains who play on special Servers with only good players), the game is heavily survivor-sided. And always the most survivor-sided it has ever been.

    So I guess you (or sorry, your "friend") took that personal that they thought I meant you… I mean them with that.

  • Ohhh how sad.

    Although, I thought the same when the community at large migrated to here from the steam forums 😂

    I'm not active here much anymore but it was fun and I'm glad you guys made this space, was nice. Good job Mandy!

    Anyhow, looks like we're going full circle! 2026 feeling like 2016 again!

1 … 3 4 5 ›