Why are survivors giving up so fast?

There was no solo q game where its normal. survs just give up..

Comments

  • @Neaxolotl said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914761#Comment_3914761

    This game is always been a RNG because tile strength has been so variable to the point of ridiculousness

    In a game you can run whatever killers for 5 gens without using any brain, in a game you have no way to do anything at all because pallets or windows just doesn't exist, this is what happens when you forfeit actual map balancing for the sake of randomness

    It's not 2018. Killers aren't regularly getting ran for 5 gens by people without "any brains".

  • If I go next it has something to do with the horrible map I have to play on. Some maps are incredibly unfun and unfair to survivors. Haddonfield/both borgo realms/rancid and others still being their current state are miserable to play on and against a decent or strong killer not winnable aside from hatch.

  • @Langweilig said:

    If I go next it has something to do with the horrible map I have to play on. Some maps are incredibly unfun and unfair to survivors. Haddonfield/both borgo realms/rancid and others still being their current state are miserable to play on and against a decent or strong killer not winnable aside from hatch.

    And what happens to the other 3 survivors who might be completely fine with playing said map? What happens when its a map that the killer finds especially unfavorable? You're affecting 4 other players' games, not just your own.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914852#Comment_3914852

    And what happens to the other 3 survivors who might be completely fine with playing said map? What happens when its a map that the killer finds especially unfavorable? You're affecting 4 other players' games, not just your own.

    I‘m only doing it when the match is already lost and to be honest it’s more often done to me than I do it to others. At some point it is exhausting. On the other hand I barely play survivor anymore. As killer I can handle every map and adjust my build accordingly. Survivors don‘t have perks to work against terrible maps.

  • @cestoda5 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914828#Comment_3914828

    It's not 2018. Killers aren't regularly getting ran for 5 gens by people without "any brains".

    Sure, with brains then

  • @Langweilig said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914853#Comment_3914853

    I‘m only doing it when the match is already lost and to be honest it’s more often done to me than I do it to others. At some point it is exhausting. On the other hand I barely play survivor anymore. As killer I can handle every map and adjust my build accordingly. Survivors don‘t have perks to work against terrible maps.

    "Other people do it too" isn't a valid justification, as you're only perpetuating that cycle at other players and being part of the problem. Its also not your place to decide for your 3 teammates when a match is "already lost," thats depriving them of shared agency necessary for the role to function. Basically you're making their choice for them, while assuming your assessment of the match is immaculate (regardless of actual evidence.) How easy you find killer is an irrelevant deflection, the point was that if a killer ever feels like they "already lost" they do not have the option to avoid the DC penalty like you are apparently enjoying.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914854#Comment_3914854

    "Other people do it too" isn't a valid justification, as you're only perpetuating that cycle at other players and being part of the problem. Its also not your place to decide for your 3 teammates when a match is "already lost," thats depriving them of shared agency necessary for the role to function. Basically you're making their choice for them, while assuming your assessment of the match is immaculate (regardless of actual evidence.) How easy you find killer is an irrelevant deflection, the point was that if a killer ever feels like they "already lost" they do not have the option to avoid the DC penalty like you are apparently enjoying.

    You have no idea what you are talking about! Having a dead teammate at 3-5 gens left is already a lost cause and that‘s objective not even subjective. I don‘t need to be better than all the others and torment myself if all the other don‘t do it themself. It‘s human nature, you have to get over it. As long as behavior isn‘t addressing any of the problems, that‘s not my fault. You are also assuming that I do it all the time, which I‘m not. I wrote if I do it, which already implies I‘m not doing it often.

  • @Langweilig said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914857#Comment_3914857

    You have no idea what you are talking about! Having a dead teammate at 3-5 gens left is already a lost cause and that‘s objective not even subjective. I don‘t need to be better than all the others and torment myself if all the other don‘t do it themself. It‘s human nature, you have to get over it. As long as behavior isn‘t addressing any of the problems, that‘s not my fault. You are also assuming that I do it all the time, which I‘m not. I wrote if I do it, which already implies I‘m not doing it often.

    I never assumed you do it all the time, just that you do it, which you admitted to. Your entire post just comes off as attempts at justification rather than actually taking any of what I've said to heart, so enjoy being part of the problem I guess.

  • They hate survivors yet they're playing as the survivor. Alright then. I might as well drop playing survivor if everyone thinks this way.

    @mecca said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914538#Comment_3914538

    The game is just full of all killer players so it is most likely killers trying survivor because of the incentives and queue times. They realize they can't play survivor and win.

    I don't anyone devoted plays survivor. The game doesn't allow that.

    But if killers mostly player survivor then haven't they learned the counters of killers? I devote to playing survivor. I play 90% times of survivor and 10% killer if I feel like to play some trapper or hag (I love trap killers makes me think a lot).

    @cheapslurpiee said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914538#Comment_3914538

    It's like gambling. They've possibly tasted winning before - even little victories, and are chasing that feeling of empowerment and giddy fun.

    You play a killer that you don't like and receive an undesirable outcome, but you hope the next game is similar to one you think fondly of where you ran well, it felt tense but fun, and you managed to pull off some plays to get more people out.

    But that game never comes so you're rage queuing over and over again waiting for the fun to start.

    Okay so it's a lack of self-control on their part because they're addicted to dopamine. That makes a lot more sense.

    @HeroLives said:

    clears throat~ things I’ve heard survivors say on why:

    Killer is op

    Map is too small

    Bad teammates(big mistakes, or just not doing anything)

    Too many anti-loop killers

    Horrible gen spawn

    Horrible pallet spawns

    Tired of seeing ghoul

    killer already tunneled someone out, no chance

    Killer slugging just to slug(not tactful slugging that creates pressure)

    They realize they’re absolutely boned due to xyz circumstance why finish a match that you know is going to end horribly anyways.

    Pig and trapper op please nerf

    Did I miss anything? Feel free to the list if I did. This is just what I’ve heard.

    I'm happy with not having this list when I play survivor. I come to enjoy and learn, and not expect anything, but this is getting out of hand.

    @Hex_Ignored said:

    Because a good chunk of trials was already decided in the lobby before the actual trial even began.

    What does this mean? How can a trial be decided before the match starts? You can't know the present or the future until it happens. If everybody knew that it would be decided, they would have quit at lobby screen.

    If bhvr decides to change the lobby and let everyone see the perks, items and addons, would you choose to quit or stay if they aren't using builds that are considered meta by many?

    @WolfyWood said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914595#Comment_3914595

    I feel like its being willingly obtuse at this point.

    There really is no mystery as to why people go next.

    I still think the abandon feature was the best survivor change the game has added, especially for those who play in SWFs. Saves so much time.

    I'm facing a dilemma here. Yes, it's saving a lot more time but it also give the survivors a quit option which they want to prevent but they encourage it at the same time. This integrity is slowly eroding over time.

    @RpTheHotrod said:

    Most of them just don't want to make any effort. I've had games where I've hooked someone and completely left the entire area and no one even bothered to even unhook them. Then I'd go over to a gen and the person would just keep working on it and not even attempt at evading. Ocne hooked, they'd just give up on hook.

    They essentially just want the game to be played with zero resistance, and the moment they feel any, they throw up their arms in the air.

    Here's an example. It's only about 5 minutes long. I pretty much just halted the match after how much 2 of the survivors weren't even remotely making effort.

    To put in to perspective, I have over 2000 hours, get a lot of stacked p100 squads, a p100 ghostie. Regardless of this, I'll still randomly get matches like this occasionally. These are the kinds of survivors who come to the forums and demand killer nerfs because it's "too hard" that they can't just hold m1 on a gen without resistance.

    https://youtu.be/ufMkOQDSX9k?si=Kf3j80rLGSXNzJmu&t=32s

    Edit - a couple are crying toxicity from the thumbnail because someone has a slug icon. Why don't yall bother looking at the context before spewing out insults and accusations. It'll save you some embarrassment.

    See, this is what I mean. This is what I get in almost all of my survivor games. It's people who give up at the slightest mistake. If our ancestors gave up centuries ago then we wouldn't be here in the first place. "Oh no a panther is attacking my family. I'll just curl up somewhere in a corner and cry" No, cry baby, it's time to grab a bow and arrow or spear and attack that #########.

    @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914633#Comment_3914633

    Yeah I know - he's a prime example of what we are talking about. Didn't even bother to watch the video and immediately accusing of toxicity when zero of it was going on in the match. If killers exist, they'll immediately accuse them of being toxic.

    These downvotes are nasty work. They already jumped to conclusions. This forum sucks.

    @Massquwatt said:

    I think a lot of it really boils down to the game's fundamental nature of it being a casual game as well as the fact dbd's game mechanics are designed to be frustrating on purpose. No matter what role you play, killer or survivor there's things that'll annoy and frustrate you even on matches where you're winning. For survivor at least you have to understand that your success (escaping) is largely determined by your teammates since it's the teamwork focused role, too many people have this strange idea that somehow just because you're a good survivor that somehow should translate to more escapes which isn't how the role works. You either have to temper expectations or go by alternative win conditions (how many survivors in total escape) rather than your own.

    I think it would do better if a lot of them take a chill pill because they take the game waaayyyyy too seriously.

    @VirtuaTyKing said:

    I got surprise ambushed by a hag earlier. I wiped one trap then they spotted me so panicked and ran into building that was trapped in a few spots. Almost instant down then put in basement. I stayed on hook not really wanting them to come. They got down to 1 gen whilst I was camped.

    I didn't cry like a child. Was it fun? No.

    I didn't ruin everybody else's game by doing myself in though.

    So I won in my book.

    Now that's a winner mindset. Don't let the downvotes get to you it's just people that are jealous by your resilience. Also with a name like that, respect, King.

    @Cassiopeiae said:

    The decision to base the game's core design around looping mechanics becomes questionable when many killer powers either trivialize or bypass this element entirely—often reducing gameplay to little more than "holding W" to reach the next loop. Granting killers tools that effectively shut down the only engaging and skill-based aspect of the game for both sides seems less like thoughtful design and more like a band-aid solution. It's a reactive approach aimed at securing quicker downs to compensate for how swiftly survivor objectives can be completed. This is emblematic of Dead by Daylight’s ongoing tendency to address the symptoms of flawed design rather than confronting and resolving the root issues.

    The community often exhibits a strong "us vs. them" mentality, particularly with killer players making remarks such as, "If playing survivor is so unenjoyable, why play at all?" This perspective ignores a key reality: the game's ongoing success is less a reflection of its quality and more a result of its addictive nature. Players continue engaging with Dead by Daylight not because it consistently offers a well-designed or enjoyable experience, but because it taps into the kind of compulsive engagement that keeps them coming back, even when the fun is long gone. Many seem to have lost sight of the fact that games are fundamentally meant to be fun. Instead, they find themselves trapped in a cycle of chasing that rare enjoyable match amid a sea of lopsided stomps—outcomes often predetermined before the trial even begins. Whether it’s a well-coordinated SWF steamrolling a killer stuck in 2016 mechanics, or a Solo Queue team of bots and one decent player facing an overpowered killer, the imbalance swings both ways, and it’s exhausting.

    Given the current state of the game, can anyone truly be surprised when survivors opt to immediately queue for the next match? The fact that survivor queues are instant just reinforces how miserable the role is. Everyone’s rushing to escape bad matches and hope the next one’s better.

    I don't think it has much to do about anti-loop but more about: "What abilities can we put in before we run out of ideas in a limited gameplay loop such as Dead by Daylight?" There aren't many options anymore before people start to point out that A killer has part ability from B killer. We got so many killers and we're already at a point where people are calling it out.

    That's a problem in general. People lack self-control. I think BHVR is trying to solve a problem that can't be solved.

  • @hermitkermit said:

    I think people consistently underestimate how difficult and chaotic SoloQ actually is—until they get thrown back into it and are forced to remember. While the game has gone through massive shifts over the years, the struggles of survivor players, especially in SoloQ, which are the majority, are often written off or minimized.

    Many remember when killer was in a rough spot before the big change, so much so that many stopped playing the role entirely. Survivor queues were painfully long because there just weren’t enough people playing killers. That was seen as a serious balance issue— which it was— and adjustments were made to shift power back toward killers. And it worked! Killer play became more rewarding, and player numbers recovered.

    But now, many survivors are feeling what killers once did: powerless, frustrated, and burned out. But rather than seeing this as another balance red flag, it’s often chalked up to survivor entitlement or poor attitude.

    Statistically, survivor is a harder role (fitting for a horror game, as escape should be tricky) This is true across MMR brackets, killer tiers, and even regions. Whether the data comes from BHVR, Nightlight, personal match histories, or just consistent player experience, it paints the same picture. Survivor is intentionally designed to be harder. And I think that fact is too often forgotten, ignored, or deliberately dismissed/belittled. Survivors are quitting for the same reasons killers were quitting before— just unhappiness and dissatisfaction with the role. I think many survivors haven’t accepted this yet and still expect more of a 50/50 win and loss rate. I think the QOL changes will help with a lot of the frustration, and the harsher penalties on giving up will certainly help as well.

    It's a issue I think that can't ever be solved. As long as people have that competitive mindset, they want it to balance to their side. It's an asymmetrical game after all. Once the pendulum swings, the other will have to endure the impact.

  • Skill issues. Having bad teammates when playing solo is something that happens in any game, and when it becomes a constant you have to accept that you may be the stick in the wheel.

    This problem could have been solved quickly by pointing out in some way those who disconnect frequently (like de GTA "dunce" cap), making the rest not want to play with them and therefore forcing them to accept defeats.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Survivor is awful right now. You have a 90% chance of running into the most braindead easy to play S tier killer on the roster (Ghoul). The first killer they've released where having your monitor turned on is optional. I actually convinced my friend to play. They haven't played in 3 months. We played 4 games tonight and they promptly uninstalled.

    1. Are you still friends?
    2. Will your friend ever accept game recommendations from you again?
  • @I_CAME said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914703#Comment_3914703

    I really don't understand this argument. If SWF is so strong then why do SWFs in the top 5% of MMR only escape half the time? Like i'd get what you're saying if they had some sort of absurd escape rate like 75%. Where are all of these unstoppable SWFs that constantly win at?

    In Otz & friends' latest "Hardcore Survivor" series, they escaped 166 times in the 52 games they played, for an escape rate around 80% (not counting DCs), and that's using minimal perks and items.

    I don't know why BHVR's stats don't reflect this, but one possible explanation is: When you're at the exit gate with 3 people, it feels bad to leave 1 behind (even though that would give you a 75% escape rate) especially when it's a friend, so they frequently lose 1 more trying to go for the risky save.

    "Doesn't that mean it's balanced, though?"

    Not really. There's a huge difference between having THE OPTION to go for the save vs. barely getting 2 out. As others have said, it's about player agency. SWFs have more options regarding which perks they can run, which items they can bring, and what strategies they can use. That makes the losses WAY more tolerable, knowing you aren't just powerless.

  • The survivors lack coordination.

    If these are random players, they often mess with each other.

    Many survivors have little to no experience running assassins and often rely on anti-tunneling skills.

    Very often, instead of sitting and actively repairing generators, survivors clean empty totems, search chests, or simply do nothing.

    Many people don't even play as assassins, so they don't understand how to act in certain situations.

    And yes, the terrible selection of players also plays a role.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    There was no solo q game where its normal. survs just give up..

    Harsh reality that no one wants to believe… a lot of killers now are too stupid. The Lich has this dumb mechanic where he can insta down on any bad pallet, and if the ground is unlevel? Good Luck dodging his 5 purple skeletons. Dracula is the most obnoxious thing I've encountered in a while, with his bat/wolf form. The Ghoul is just Nurse on steroids, Xeno? We don't talk about Xeno. Singularity? Pallets? Never heard of them. Houndmaster? Insufferably boring with deathslinger-esque power with hitbox enlarged x100000. Overall, BHVR forgot how to design fun killers, leading to an epidemic of people not enjoying their game. Not because everyone is childish, like everyone else says. Killers are hot a** to verse, it's no surprise to me that nobody wants to play out any matches against these killers.

    (coming from someone with multiple p100s and thousands of hours)

  • @brewingtea said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914725#Comment_3914725

    In Otz & friends' latest "Hardcore Survivor" series, they escaped 166 times in the 52 games they played, for an escape rate around 80% (not counting DCs), and that's using minimal perks and items.

    I don't know why BHVR's stats don't reflect this, but one possible explanation is: When you're at the exit gate with 3 people, it feels bad to leave 1 behind (even though that would give you a 75% escape rate) especially when it's a friend, so they frequently lose 1 more trying to go for the risky save.

    "Doesn't that mean it's balanced, though?"

    Not really. There's a huge difference between having THE OPTION to go for the save vs. barely getting 2 out. As others have said, it's about player agency. SWFs have more options regarding which perks they can run, which items they can bring, and what strategies they can use. That makes the losses WAY more tolerable, knowing you aren't just powerless.

    Or perhaps it is because they have pre-selected their team of some of the most experienced players out there.

  • I do not play much anymore. I haven't touched Survivor in over a year.

    It does not look fun. All of my friends that I used to run with have quit because of how miserable the average game got.

    I won't even speculate on the why, but the average game of Survivor is just tedious at best and worth uninstalling for at worst.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914545#Comment_3914545

    They hate survivors yet they're playing as the survivor. Alright then. I might as well drop playing survivor if everyone thinks this way.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914546#Comment_3914546

    But if killers mostly player survivor then haven't they learned the counters of killers? I devote to playing survivor. I play 90% times of survivor and 10% killer if I feel like to play some trapper or hag (I love trap killers makes me think a lot).

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914551#Comment_3914551

    Okay so it's a lack of self-control on their part because they're addicted to dopamine. That makes a lot more sense.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914570#Comment_3914570

    I'm happy with not having this list when I play survivor. I come to enjoy and learn, and not expect anything, but this is getting out of hand.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914595#Comment_3914595

    What does this mean? How can a trial be decided before the match starts? You can't know the present or the future until it happens. If everybody knew that it would be decided, they would have quit at lobby screen.

    If bhvr decides to change the lobby and let everyone see the perks, items and addons, would you choose to quit or stay if they aren't using builds that are considered meta by many?

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914599#Comment_3914599

    I'm facing a dilemma here. Yes, it's saving a lot more time but it also give the survivors a quit option which they want to prevent but they encourage it at the same time. This integrity is slowly eroding over time.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914615#Comment_3914615

    See, this is what I mean. This is what I get in almost all of my survivor games. It's people who give up at the slightest mistake. If our ancestors gave up centuries ago then we wouldn't be here in the first place. "Oh no a panther is attacking my family. I'll just curl up somewhere in a corner and cry" No, cry baby, it's time to grab a bow and arrow or spear and attack that #########.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914645#Comment_3914645

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914633#Comment_3914633

    These downvotes are nasty work. They already jumped to conclusions. This forum sucks.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914649#Comment_3914649

    I think it would do better if a lot of them take a chill pill because they take the game waaayyyyy too seriously.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914667#Comment_3914667

    Now that's a winner mindset. Don't let the downvotes get to you it's just people that are jealous by your resilience. Also with a name like that, respect, King.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914674#Comment_3914674

    I don't think it has much to do about anti-loop but more about: "What abilities can we put in before we run out of ideas in a limited gameplay loop such as Dead by Daylight?" There aren't many options anymore before people start to point out that A killer has part ability from B killer. We got so many killers and we're already at a point where people are calling it out.

    That's a problem in general. People lack self-control. I think BHVR is trying to solve a problem that can't be solved.

    it’s not my list either since I don’t give up or “go next” unless it’s to give someone a chance at hatch. I’m not going to pretend like I don’t know why though, survivors are pretty vocal about these things. I just listen.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914687#Comment_3914687

    I don't know that I'd say survivor is designed to be harder, just that its designed to share agency. The reason thats an important distinction is because a lot of the player base seems to be unwilling to do so. The more people get left hanging by their teammates (either through how they play, sandbagging, or abandonment) the more likely they are to slink into the same apathetic stance toward their future teammates. The only way I consider killer easier is that your agency is only impaired by how much time you have, rather than being dependent on up to 3 other people in tandem. When all the survivors are in sync (this does not require comms or even SWF, just efficiency and prioritization) I do not think most of the killer roster is designed to have an easier time (arguments could be made for S tiers, of course.)

    The big issue is that a lot of Solo Q's woes come from other Solo Q players, in one way or another. The more people accept shared agency and stop letting each other down, the healthier the role is. The unfortunate part is that the pattern you mentioned regarding many survivors feeling the pinch that many killers used to feel is real, but that its self (by role, not necessarily by individual) inflicted. Every time we give up/throw/sandbag/basically any time not pull one's own weight in agency, we are being the thing we complain about and further cementing the situation we lament.

    Its interesting how people react to the agency difference between the roles, as its a somewhat unique dilemma to asyms. Some other types of pvp games have concepts like hypercarries to manipulate the shared agency distribution, but for the most part team games generally tend to have equal parts individual and shared agency, but in this game one side has it while the other essentially does not. This leads to wildly different perceptions of concepts like difficulty and even the grievances.

    TL:DR both sides tend to find it frustrating when they lose to things beyond their control, but the survivor role only gives you control over 25% of your role, leading to morale erosion from losses.

    I really like the way you’re framing this through agency—it’s a smart lens, and I agree it’s central to the survivor experience. It’s a role built on shared responsibility. But where I differ is in placing the blame soley on the players. I think the game is structured to inherently punish survivors when that shared agency breaks down, and it does very little to prevent, compensate for, or recover from that breakdown. Add in the fact that survivors are intended to lose more than they win, and you’re already starting at a disadvantage.

    The solo experience is fragile. The moment that coordination falters, punishment is swift. That’s not just a player issue; thats intentional design. This role is built on collective punishment. You can outplay the killer, make the right calls, be the strongest player in the match, and still lose. Not because you played poorly—but because you’re restricted by other players. And the game doesn’t give you or those players the tools to stabilize.

    Individual skill does matter but only up to a point. You don’t get to choose which killer you face, how experienced your teammates are, or how many times anyone’s played against that killer before. It’s not always a skill issue. I think it’s often a skill gap. We don’t call it “throwing” when a killer struggles to learn a new killer in real matches—we call it a learning curve. I feel the same should apply to survivors when struggling to face certain killers as well (especially with how often reworks or buffs to them are consistently happening) But the game offers survivors no structured way to close that gap.
    Killers can practice in customs with bots, any perks (even ones they don’t own) on any map, with or against any builds. Survivors don’t have that equivalence. Just trial by fire, over and over, with variable teammates, on maps they can’t choose, against killers they can’t choose. It’s like trying to study for an exam—while taking it, and it’s a slightly different test version every time. There’s no consistency to learn from.

    It’s intentionally difficult. And that’s fine. It’s a horror game. Survival should be earned. Yes, bad survivor behavior makes things worse. It should not be rewarded. But l also feel that behavior not only comes from selfish individuals but also comes from the fragility of the role itself. It’s not just a matter of “people should play better”it’s also “why is the role so vulnerable to one person not playing well?” If there were better ways to learn, to practice, and to build consistency, I think we’d see a lot less burnout and far more growth.

    Yes, harsher penalties for DCs or first-hook suicides might clean up some of the surface-level behavior, which is great! But I don’t think that’s going to fix morale or the overall dissatisfaction with the role itself. And I think using the worst behavior in the role as justification for ignoring survivor frustrations is misguided. It’s the same logic that got Skull Merchant gutted because of how some killers misused her. That wasn’t fair to the role or those players then and I feel it isn’t fair now.

    So, I think in a nutshell I agree with most of what you’ve said. But I think where we may disagree is just on the expectations of one role over the other, along with how or what those expectations are perceived depending on the role. I want survivors to just.. be better, too. But I don’t think they have the tools to do so in a way that would actually make a difference. If I had the option, I would absolutely be playing on custom bot lobbies, practicing against every killer in the game, every add-on, every perk, on every map so that I could make up for my short-comings, to learn, and be a better player to face and to team up with.

    In any case, it’s always a pleasure speaking with you friend! I smile everytime I see your notifications as the conversations are always pleasant regardless on where we stand.

  • Because you are standing still somewhere around the map HIDING and not doing your objectives. At least I do give up when I see my teammates doing nothing. I don't care and mind losing. You wanna play hide and seek? Well good luck with that. I will go find better teammates that actually wanna play the game as it was intented. And when I find these kind of survivors, usually I die for them if needed.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914687#Comment_3914687

    It's a issue I think that can't ever be solved. As long as people have that competitive mindset, they want it to balance to their side. It's an asymmetrical game after all. Once the pendulum swings, the other will have to endure the impact.

    I get what you’re saying, and you’re right that asymmetrical games are always going to feel like a balancing act—when one side gains ground, the other side often feels the hit. But I don’t think it has to be a zero-sum situation. There’s a difference between asking for power and asking for stability. So yeah, I agree, there will always be noise when balance shifts, but that doesn’t mean that no improvements can ever be made that will be healthy for either role or the game overall.

  • @hermitkermit said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914700#Comment_3914700

    I really like the way you’re framing this through agency—it’s a smart lens, and I agree it’s central to the survivor experience. It’s a role built on shared responsibility. But where I differ is in placing the blame soley on the players. I think the game is structured to inherently punish survivors when that shared agency breaks down, and it does very little to prevent, compensate for, or recover from that breakdown. Add in the fact that survivors are intended to lose more than they win, and you’re already starting at a disadvantage.

    The solo experience is fragile. The moment that coordination falters, punishment is swift. That’s not just a player issue; thats intentional design. This role is built on collective punishment. You can outplay the killer, make the right calls, be the strongest player in the match, and still lose. Not because you played poorly—but because you’re restricted by other players. And the game doesn’t give you or those players the tools to stabilize.

    Individual skill does matter but only up to a point. You don’t get to choose which killer you face, how experienced your teammates are, or how many times anyone’s played against that killer before. It’s not always a skill issue. I think it’s often a skill gap. We don’t call it “throwing” when a killer struggles to learn a new killer in real matches—we call it a learning curve. I feel the same should apply to survivors when struggling to face certain killers as well (especially with how often reworks or buffs to them are consistently happening) But the game offers survivors no structured way to close that gap.
    Killers can practice in customs with bots, any perks (even ones they don’t own) on any map, with or against any builds. Survivors don’t have that equivalence. Just trial by fire, over and over, with variable teammates, on maps they can’t choose, against killers they can’t choose. It’s like trying to study for an exam—while taking it, and it’s a slightly different test version every time. There’s no consistency to learn from.

    It’s intentionally difficult. And that’s fine. It’s a horror game. Survival should be earned. Yes, bad survivor behavior makes things worse. It should not be rewarded. But l also feel that behavior not only comes from selfish individuals but also comes from the fragility of the role itself. It’s not just a matter of “people should play better”it’s also “why is the role so vulnerable to one person not playing well?” If there were better ways to learn, to practice, and to build consistency, I think we’d see a lot less burnout and far more growth.

    Yes, harsher penalties for DCs or first-hook suicides might clean up some of the surface-level behavior, which is great! But I don’t think that’s going to fix morale or the overall dissatisfaction with the role itself. And I think using the worst behavior in the role as justification for ignoring survivor frustrations is misguided. It’s the same logic that got Skull Merchant gutted because of how some killers misused her. That wasn’t fair to the role or those players then and I feel it isn’t fair now.

    So, I think in a nutshell I agree with most of what you’ve said. But I think where we may disagree is just on the expectations of one role over the other, along with how or what those expectations are perceived depending on the role. I want survivors to just.. be better, too. But I don’t think they have the tools to do so in a way that would actually make a difference. If I had the option, I would absolutely be playing on custom bot lobbies, practicing against every killer in the game, every add-on, every perk, on every map so that I could make up for my short-comings, to learn, and be a better player to face and to team up with.

    In any case, it’s always a pleasure speaking with you friend! I smile everytime I see your notifications as the conversations are always pleasant regardless on where we stand.

    Definitely agreed that survivors need more practice tools like killers eventually got, though I get why they haven't been able to do so yet. That said, I think there might be a bit of misunderstanding concerning my conceptualization of difficulty: As survivor much of the difficulty comes from your reliance on teammates outside your control, while as killer difficulty comes more from the amount of macro gaming and mechanical skill. The thing is that means that the difficulty on one side is not always entirely one's own fault (win or lose,) while the other side has a lot of variability depending on how their killer/build handles those two aspects (and how they handle said killer.) It would be just as accurate to say killer is harder than survivor as it would be to say that it is easier. The comparison is hard to make when there is such a wide range of advantages either side could have, let alone the asymmetric structure. This is before getting into the other less quantifiable random chance factors like opponent's skill/loadouts/etc.

    I just don't like the idea of either role calling the other "easier." They both have very different considerations and thresholds to account for, in a game that is structured mainly by its chaotic nature.

    If there were better ways to learn, to practice, and to build consistency, I think we’d see a lot less burnout and far more growth.

    sadly I doubt it would go that well. There are already plenty of killers who would rather ask for nerfs than use the practice tool they have, and I don't predict the survivor role being any different. Those who honestly do want to get better would be able to do so, but the average player values dopamine hits more than delayed gratification, and practice tools do nothing if not utilized. Its a shame but even now losing matches can (and should) be used for practicing but rarely are, every time someone dips early I'll the the opportunity to practice chase extensions or killer power interactions, anything to try to make the most of the situation. Unfortunately most don't have the same mindset and would rather give up and hope they don't encounter the same situation next game, then continue burning out as they get less and less feel good chemicals. Doomposting aside, I do still hope we get at the very least customs with killer bots eventually.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    There was no solo q game where its normal. survs just give up..

    Partially because of the new surrender system. While only responsible for some of the increase directly, indirectly, it is telling survivors that quitting is okay, and combined with lax DC penalties and huge amounts of whiny, entitled behavior, you have a lot of the reason people give up.

    And before anyone says anything no, its not because of slugging. Not evern remotely close. In well over half the matched I play every day a survivor gives up as soon as I down and hook them, or things dont go their way. I get a lot of DCes as soon as I start chase on someone just because they dont like who I am playing. People need to start getting temp banned for it because this behavior is super unhealthy for the game. I said before all these surrender mechanics went live that this would happen and everyone tried to tell me I was wrong. Well, here we are, and turns out I was right.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914950#Comment_3914950

    Definitely agreed that survivors need more practice tools like killers eventually got, though I get why they haven't been able to do so yet. That said, I think there might be a bit of misunderstanding concerning my conceptualization of difficulty: As survivor much of the difficulty comes from your reliance on teammates outside your control, while as killer difficulty comes more from the amount of macro gaming and mechanical skill. The thing is that means that the difficulty on one side is not always entirely one's own fault (win or lose,) while the other side has a lot of variability depending on how their killer/build handles those two aspects (and how they handle said killer.) It would be just as accurate to say killer is harder than survivor as it would be to say that it is easier. The comparison is hard to make when there is such a wide range of advantages either side could have, let alone the asymmetric structure. This is before getting into the other less quantifiable random chance factors like opponent's skill/loadouts/etc.

    I just don't like the idea of either role calling the other "easier." They both have very different considerations and thresholds to account for, in a game that is structured mainly by its chaotic nature.

    If there were better ways to learn, to practice, and to build consistency, I think we’d see a lot less burnout and far more growth.

    sadly I doubt it would go that well. There are already plenty of killers who would rather ask for nerfs than use the practice tool they have, and I don't predict the survivor role being any different. Those who honestly do want to get better would be able to do so, but the average player values dopamine hits more than delayed gratification, and practice tools do nothing if not utilized. Its a shame but even now losing matches can (and should) be used for practicing but rarely are, every time someone dips early I'll the the opportunity to practice chase extensions or killer power interactions, anything to try to make the most of the situation. Unfortunately most don't have the same mindset and would rather give up and hope they don't encounter the same situation next game, then continue burning out as they get less and less feel good chemicals. Doomposting aside, I do still hope we get at the very least customs with killer bots eventually.

    I appreciate this response, and I think we’re actually in agreement on quite a few things—especially around the need for better survivor practice tools. You’re right that not everyone would use them, and that some players will always lean into immediate gratification over growth. But I’d still argue that having those tools available would be a step forward, even if they’re underutilized. Right now, there’s virtually no structured way to improve as survivor beyond just queuing and hoping for the right scenarios to practice in. That doesn’t encourage growth, only filters out anyone who can’t already handle the steep learning curve or doesn’t have the time to push through it. Right now, the system only works those who are either already skilled or willing to suffer through trial-and-error matches slowly just to get competent.

    I also think your breakdown of difficulty is fair. The two roles have fundamentally different sources of difficulty, survivor is more about interdependence and coordination, while killer has a higher ceiling for mechanical and macro skill. I guess I should have rephrased, because I do get what you mean. It’s not necessarily that survivor is “harder” than killer, because both roles demand different things and skill sets, but the survivor role is intentionally restricted not to win as often as killer, so it makes sense that it harder to be successful in that role in order to ensure that kill rate/escape rate is not equal. As a role survivor is just less stable. You can do everything right and still lose because the role relies on everyone performing well at once, and the game doesn’t offer many ways to recover when that doesn’t happen.

    So I fully agree: better tools wouldn’t magically fix everything. They wouldn’t change the fact that some players don’t want to improve, and they wouldn’t eliminate burnout entirely. But this can be extended to anything in the game. I’m sure there are some players who, even with a 99% kill rate, still wouldn’t be satisfied. Or players that got 5 hook states, who wouldn’t think it’s enough. The potential misuse of a resource doesn’t mean it isn’t worth offering—especially in a role where burnout and morale are already so fragile.

    In the end, both roles have valid struggles. I am not saying killer games can’t be hard. I’ve had my butt whooped plenty of times but honestly I can say that I deserved the butt whoop every time, as my opponents were simply just better than I was. But I think acknowledging that survivor lacks the same support systems and agency is important if we’re going to have honest conversations about improving the experience on both sides, and why there was a burnout for killer before the big game shift and why there is now a burnout for survivor after it.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914545#Comment_3914545

    They hate survivors yet they're playing as the survivor. Alright then. I might as well drop playing survivor if everyone thinks this way.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914546#Comment_3914546

    But if killers mostly player survivor then haven't they learned the counters of killers? I devote to playing survivor. I play 90% times of survivor and 10% killer if I feel like to play some trapper or hag (I love trap killers makes me think a lot).

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914551#Comment_3914551

    Okay so it's a lack of self-control on their part because they're addicted to dopamine. That makes a lot more sense.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914570#Comment_3914570

    I'm happy with not having this list when I play survivor. I come to enjoy and learn, and not expect anything, but this is getting out of hand.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914595#Comment_3914595

    What does this mean? How can a trial be decided before the match starts? You can't know the present or the future until it happens. If everybody knew that it would be decided, they would have quit at lobby screen.

    If bhvr decides to change the lobby and let everyone see the perks, items and addons, would you choose to quit or stay if they aren't using builds that are considered meta by many?

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914599#Comment_3914599

    I'm facing a dilemma here. Yes, it's saving a lot more time but it also give the survivors a quit option which they want to prevent but they encourage it at the same time. This integrity is slowly eroding over time.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914615#Comment_3914615

    See, this is what I mean. This is what I get in almost all of my survivor games. It's people who give up at the slightest mistake. If our ancestors gave up centuries ago then we wouldn't be here in the first place. "Oh no a panther is attacking my family. I'll just curl up somewhere in a corner and cry" No, cry baby, it's time to grab a bow and arrow or spear and attack that #########.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914645#Comment_3914645

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914633#Comment_3914633

    These downvotes are nasty work. They already jumped to conclusions. This forum sucks.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914649#Comment_3914649

    I think it would do better if a lot of them take a chill pill because they take the game waaayyyyy too seriously.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914667#Comment_3914667

    Now that's a winner mindset. Don't let the downvotes get to you it's just people that are jealous by your resilience. Also with a name like that, respect, King.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914674#Comment_3914674

    I don't think it has much to do about anti-loop but more about: "What abilities can we put in before we run out of ideas in a limited gameplay loop such as Dead by Daylight?" There aren't many options anymore before people start to point out that A killer has part ability from B killer. We got so many killers and we're already at a point where people are calling it out.

    That's a problem in general. People lack self-control. I think BHVR is trying to solve a problem that can't be solved.

    Nothing to do with self control or lack thereof or even dopamine addiction. People play video games for fun. This is the same game you can get a killer who has fun by tunneling you out in the first 3 minutes and say "your fun is not my job." DBD is a roll of the dice every match. Some people think too highly of the game play loop and possibilities so they queue again with undeserved optimism.

  • @brewingtea said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914725#Comment_3914725

    In Otz & friends' latest "Hardcore Survivor" series, they escaped 166 times in the 52 games they played, for an escape rate around 80% (not counting DCs), and that's using minimal perks and items.

    I don't know why BHVR's stats don't reflect this, but one possible explanation is: When you're at the exit gate with 3 people, it feels bad to leave 1 behind (even though that would give you a 75% escape rate) especially when it's a friend, so they frequently lose 1 more trying to go for the risky save.

    "Doesn't that mean it's balanced, though?"

    Not really. There's a huge difference between having THE OPTION to go for the save vs. barely getting 2 out. As others have said, it's about player agency. SWFs have more options regarding which perks they can run, which items they can bring, and what strategies they can use. That makes the losses WAY more tolerable, knowing you aren't just powerless.

    1 - this game is their job. Of course they're good at it.

    2 - they started new accounts and were playing against baby killers for a good chunk of it. Otz was even messaging the killers in endgame and offering them free DLC as an apology for making their games so bad.

  • @ShanoaLegendaryPlz said:

    From my experience its several things that could cause them to give up.

    1. they see the killer has no problem with tunneling right off hooks and they don't want to bother trying when the killer just wants to win at all costs.
    2. Its myers and he brought an indoor map for a 45 minute poke and hide match and they either don't have time for it or find it extremely annoying.
    3. A killer theyve seen for the 4th time in a row and theyd rather see who they get for the next round.
    4. They had a challenge for something, maybe red emblems and since they got found first and downed there goes one of their red emblems so they are alredy fed up with trying for (2 red emblems in 1 match) and decide to get a fresh start on the next round.
    5. A killer they really don't like or associated them with hard tunneling in every round theyve ever seen them (like wesker)
    6. Some people even hate specific maps enough to quit sometimes
    7. They may have been sandbagged by a teammate and their way of getting back at them is throwing the round.
    8. They don't like the way they got hit, like for example how ghostface often ends up marking you weather you are staring right at him or not and then hits you through a pallet or something.
    9. They just decided they aren't enjoying the game anymore and leave to go play something else.
    10. They are being targetted by the killer and don't enjoy being tunneled or harassed so they just leave with what they have.

    So pretty much anything they don't like... If they don't get what they want they throw a tantrum and give up. If the anti go next thing works it will be a real game changer, just need to up the DC penalty to make sure people don't repeatedly DC.

    Fair enough if people are not having fun but the answer is simply don't play, not repeatedly play match after match and give up match after match.

  • @VirtuaTyKing said:

    I got surprise ambushed by a hag earlier. I wiped one trap then they spotted me so panicked and ran into building that was trapped in a few spots. Almost instant down then put in basement. I stayed on hook not really wanting them to come. They got down to 1 gen whilst I was camped.

    I didn't cry like a child. Was it fun? No.

    I didn't ruin everybody else's game by doing myself in though.

    So I won in my book.

    To those that bring up the 60% kill rate. If this survivor gave up and went next the outcome of the match is more than likely a 4k. But because they were a team player, three survivors may have made it out. At the very least had a chance to.

    The issue with the go next bs many are push is its a self fulfilling prophecy. You leave and it greatly favors the killer.

  • I don't know either. Right now I feel like this game is at its most balanced state.

  • @cesspoolechochamber said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914696#Comment_3914696

    Well first off I didn't say it was huge or not you took your own assumption based on I'm guessing your negative reaction to what I was saying. Second huge would be a "huge" over evaluation. What huge would be is giving base kit bond or something pf that nature.

    You kinda illustrated my point, it was huge, but many people who down play it don't understand how much information it actually provides to bridge the gap between solo and SWF. From who is in chase to progress bars on things like healing and gens, but then also with a lot of meta data (someone is in chase after being unhooked telling you when the killer is tunneling, someone healing isn't currently going for a save, what gen people are on based on knowing what their progress should be at, etc.) It doesn't have to be flat out aura reading to be telling you a lot of info you can use to make better plays, it was actually one of the smarter changes since it helped solo a lot more than SWF, while basekit auras would have given even more free coordination to swfs. It was a change designed to help players help themselves rather than give them advantageous information for free.

  • @mecca said:

    I mean, as unbalanced as the game is, I'm surprised this is a question.

    The question should be, how does anyone even want to play survivor in the first place.

    But complaining about survivor doesn't solve the issue. If they're just gonna rage quit every time, why even play the game? No, they need massive penalties for disconnecting on their team. Otherwise, this will keep happening. We need a rage quitter queue, to where they can keep rage quitting against each other, so the rest of us can actually play the game.

  • @cesspoolechochamber said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3915544#Comment_3915544

    You need people to play against don't you? Why is that even a response to people's complaints about the game. "Dont play it if you don't like it". Hollywood tried doing that with there movies and what happens there. People stop using the product if you don't listen to them.

    Evidently no, killers don't need people to play with them. Based on the amount of people that DC and abandon even when they can recover themselves there's bots in almost every match these days. Might as well just play with bots at this point.

  • Play for for 5 years now.

    I have never given up or dc´d.

    DbD is an addictive game - a lot of people play way to much and seriously need to take breaks more often.

    But somehow they can´t do that. They keep playing.

    So their tolerance level decreases to a point where anything triggers them to give up.

    If you can´t play a normal match start to end no matter how much you are annoyed at the killer, map, teammates etc. it is a clear sign you need a break.

    All your excuses are made up.

    It is only a game. Sometimes you win or lose. It is not the end of the world.

    Don´t really know what to say. This will never change imo not matter what they try to do.

    New abandon feature doesn´t make anything better imo.

  • More and more interaction has been removed from the game between Killer and Survivor ontop of survivors being able to interact with the game in general:

    -Flashlight angles reduced as a result of nerfing flashbangs
    -Lightburn removed (I feel like killers who are effected by it should have had a new mechanic akin to singularity to fight back their power with new items/interactions)
    -Kaneki/Blight/Nurse etc exist
    -Slugging exists more as a result of more widespread knowledge (thanks killer streamers)
    -Tunneling exists again as a result of more widespread knowledge (again thanks killer streamers)
    -Second Chance builds is the only build to avoid the above.
    -Servers are so awful, hit detection is so much more whack than it used to be. So many killers get stupid hids who have high mobility/fast moving projectiles!!! THIS ONE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST FACTORS.
    -More and more hindered/haste stacking exists on killer side
    -Pentimento exists
    -Small Coldwind with no loops and Haddonfield exist
    -Franklins still has no counter (perk or addon that lets you keep items in hand)
    -Perks like Mirrored illusion/Bardic give NO points on usage, don't feel rewarding to use at all
    -Anti-Camp is one of the most useless easy to exploit systems made for this game
    -Invocations are perks designed around the ideaology that survivors have room to take such huge risks (they dont)
    -Boons take too much time to set up and are too weak for the investment
    -Chests are so far and few between and give no addons without a perk, and broken keys and maps exist which are useless without them.
    -Medkits self heal was nerfed to the point even self care + Botany is better, med kit tiers not being better in any way upon tier up is one of the worst things they've ever added.
    -Gen slowdown stacking feels like you can be on a single gen for up to 2 minutes or more at a time, it's awful
    -Calm Spirit has still not had its downside removed LMAO
    -Lobby Dodging is making MMR Redundant.

    The list could go on, and on and on and on and on. Of course there are issues on killer side too, but there is soooo many issues rn with survivor, and we havn't even gotten to the bugs yet.

  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    There was no solo q game where its normal. survs just give up..

    Been wondering the exact same thing, it seems to be happening against all killers too. There is alot of Kaneki hate still but even killers like trapper, wraith and bubba people are dcing

  • Fair enough, my guess is the anti go next that's due would probably ban people from going next so the only option would be DC and take the penalty until you can't play anymore. Bhvr can fill lobbies with bots instead lol.

  • Yep, somehow they do.

    DbD is my most played game but i often don´t play for days.

    Also i am old. If i play then it is clear for me to play to the end. If i lose ok. What is the point to play and give up everytime i lose?

    If i get to annoyed playing on one of these days :-) i just stop playing.

  • People don't want to play a hopeless match; hope is essential, but often extinguished due to many factors. Sometimes, players would rather 'go next' asap when the outcome is locked in. And then there's the lag advantage with hits. Favor The Killer needs to die already. Getting struck from an impossible distance and seeing my ping at 35ms and The Killer's at 200ms makes me want to leave! It's unfair and unfun how the game allows such hits, which can devastate the Survivor.

  • @HeroLives said:

    clears throat~ things I’ve heard survivors say on why:

    Killer is op

    Map is too small

    Bad teammates(big mistakes, or just not doing anything)

    Too many anti-loop killers

    Horrible gen spawn

    Horrible pallet spawns

    Tired of seeing ghoul

    killer already tunneled someone out, no chance

    Killer slugging just to slug(not tactful slugging that creates pressure)

    They realize they’re absolutely boned due to xyz circumstance why finish a match that you know is going to end horribly anyways.

    Pig and trapper op please nerf

    Did I miss anything? Feel free to the list if I did. This is just what I’ve heard.

    Gee cap, that just sounds like unfortunately, there's a small but vocal group of Survivors that are really, really poor sports… :(

  • @Cassiopeiae said:

    The decision to base the game's core design around looping mechanics becomes questionable when many killer powers either trivialize or bypass this element entirely—often reducing gameplay to little more than "holding W" to reach the next loop. Granting killers tools that effectively shut down the only engaging and skill-based aspect of the game for both sides seems less like thoughtful design and more like a band-aid solution. It's a reactive approach aimed at securing quicker downs to compensate for how swiftly survivor objectives can be completed. This is emblematic of Dead by Daylight’s ongoing tendency to address the symptoms of flawed design rather than confronting and resolving the root issues.

    The community often exhibits a strong "us vs. them" mentality, particularly with killer players making remarks such as, "If playing survivor is so unenjoyable, why play at all?" This perspective ignores a key reality: the game's ongoing success is less a reflection of its quality and more a result of its addictive nature. Players continue engaging with Dead by Daylight not because it consistently offers a well-designed or enjoyable experience, but because it taps into the kind of compulsive engagement that keeps them coming back, even when the fun is long gone. Many seem to have lost sight of the fact that games are fundamentally meant to be fun. Instead, they find themselves trapped in a cycle of chasing that rare enjoyable match amid a sea of lopsided stomps—outcomes often predetermined before the trial even begins. Whether it’s a well-coordinated SWF steamrolling a killer stuck in 2016 mechanics, or a Solo Queue team of bots and one decent player facing an overpowered killer, the imbalance swings both ways, and it’s exhausting.

    Given the current state of the game, can anyone truly be surprised when survivors opt to immediately queue for the next match? The fact that survivor queues are instant just reinforces how miserable the role is. Everyone’s rushing to escape bad matches and hope the next one’s better.

    This is put far better than I ever could put it, this game was much much better with fewer antiloop Killers, period. It felt more fair without these Killers as being so common, it felt managable as Survivor. It also felt more managable as Killer, and could have been balanced much easier.

    I just don't see the fun or skill in playing as, or against, Killers that can negate looping or make looping obsolete. Doesn't anyone just wanna mindgame anymore? I sure don't have any fun going against a Killer than can down us all before a single gen gets done. I don't like feeling obligated to shove gens super fast and get out quickly. I don't enjoy being the poor M1 Killer with no haste or mobility stuck against a team like that either!

    Frankly I just wish the Devs would put their money where their mouth is and offer more concrete ways to reward players for alternate wincons. It's long past time to do it; give us something besides kills and escapes to go for. Maybe if Survivors got rewarded in a tiered way like Killers did for kills, it would help? Maybe if there were more ways to get pips and emblems felt more substantial? I don't know. I don't know the solution.

    But I do know I really only play Surv for maintenance and to slam through challenges anymore these days, certainly not for more fun. Killer is just… more fun. Always has been. Always will be.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    More and more interaction has been removed from the game between Killer and Survivor ontop of survivors being able to interact with the game in general:

    -Flashlight angles reduced as a result of nerfing flashbangs
    -Lightburn removed (I feel like killers who are effected by it should have had a new mechanic akin to singularity to fight back their power with new items/interactions)
    -Kaneki/Blight/Nurse etc exist
    -Slugging exists more as a result of more widespread knowledge (thanks killer streamers)
    -Tunneling exists again as a result of more widespread knowledge (again thanks killer streamers)
    -Second Chance builds is the only build to avoid the above.
    -Servers are so awful, hit detection is so much more whack than it used to be. So many killers get stupid hids who have high mobility/fast moving projectiles!!! THIS ONE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST FACTORS.
    -More and more hindered/haste stacking exists on killer side
    -Pentimento exists
    -Small Coldwind with no loops and Haddonfield exist
    -Franklins still has no counter (perk or addon that lets you keep items in hand)
    -Perks like Mirrored illusion/Bardic give NO points on usage, don't feel rewarding to use at all
    -Anti-Camp is one of the most useless easy to exploit systems made for this game
    -Invocations are perks designed around the ideaology that survivors have room to take such huge risks (they dont)
    -Boons take too much time to set up and are too weak for the investment
    -Chests are so far and few between and give no addons without a perk, and broken keys and maps exist which are useless without them.
    -Medkits self heal was nerfed to the point even self care + Botany is better, med kit tiers not being better in any way upon tier up is one of the worst things they've ever added.
    -Gen slowdown stacking feels like you can be on a single gen for up to 2 minutes or more at a time, it's awful
    -Calm Spirit has still not had its downside removed LMAO
    -Lobby Dodging is making MMR Redundant.

    The list could go on, and on and on and on and on. Of course there are issues on killer side too, but there is soooo many issues rn with survivor, and we havn't even gotten to the bugs yet.

    We just wanna poke into this list real quick:

    • Yet there are people who are still able to get blinds and saves. It has not been removed at all.
    • Lightburn practically affected only Wraith and generally was just unpleasant while playing as him. We can count on 1 finger how many times we've seen a Nurse lightburned.
    • Hyper Mobility, Lethal Mobility, and Unrestricted mobility. None of these killers stop survivors interacting with anything. With the etc tacked on we could possibly read that as any killer as well should we go to the logical conclusion.
    • Slugging has existed before and we'd blame it more on people whining their toys were slightly nerfed.
    • Same as the above.
    • This one is true enough.
    • We're not sure about this one as for us servers haven't become "more whack" without a reason we can trace (ex: a storm in the area causing random lag spikes, something known is happening with the servers, etc).
    • And how often is this seen and how does this remove anything?
    • Really? This perks existence is stopping people from doing things? We know if we see a lit totem it needs snapped, penti be damned. We'd hope others think similar before that Devour hope that was left alone murders all.
    • A grand total of 2 coldwinds have practically no loops (we say practically cause theres still loops, just few and far between). Meanwhile Haddonfield also has loops and aside from atrocious gen spawns is very playable for both sides.
    • Lockers. Tada, built in counter to Franklins. No add-on, perk, or offering needed.
    • Opinions. We find it very satisfying when a killer smacks the illusion and once saw a video of it causing a hilarious mind game. Bardic meanwhile is just nice to hear and gives a potential buff to skill checks.
    • You say useless, yet we've yet to see a face camping bubba since it came around. In fact the only ones we've seen face camp are the particularly salty or dumb ones. Think it works a treat.
    • Not really? One is unlimited unbreakable, one is effectively botany and empathy combined, one is unlimited always on distortion, and one is lesser mft with different restrictions. While tied to an area, these effects are for everybody. All you gotta do is find a totem (not hard as your likely to find one near gens or loop areas) and spend the time to bless (equal to snaping any dull totem). As a cherry on top these perks solve your above pentimento problem.
    • The number of chests hasn't really changed. Heck you can add more chests via offering.
    • Because repeated 16 or less heals were ridiculous. The higher medkits are great for healing others.
    • While gen blocking stops interactions with gen(s)…the survivors can do literally anything else while its blocked.
    • That also doesn't stop people from interacting with anything.
    • And if people didn't do that then it might end up working better. But this has no direct effect on interactions.
  • @Kleine_Klompje said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914536#Comment_3914536

    Then why are they playing survivor when they do this? It doesn't make sense.

    I didn't play a single game of Victim in my first few months of playing DBD, until I found out there's a once-per-day EXP incentive to do so.

    Now I play Victim once per day, and occasionally when there's something ridiculous like 100%+ BP bonus for Victims.
    Perhaps this is the same reason they play Victim, because they want EXP or easy BP.

  • @Rokku_Rorru said:

    More and more interaction has been removed from the game between Killer and Survivor ontop of survivors being able to interact with the game in general:

    -Flashlight angles reduced as a result of nerfing flashbangs
    -Lightburn removed (I feel like killers who are effected by it should have had a new mechanic akin to singularity to fight back their power with new items/interactions)
    -Kaneki/Blight/Nurse etc exist
    -Slugging exists more as a result of more widespread knowledge (thanks killer streamers)
    -Tunneling exists again as a result of more widespread knowledge (again thanks killer streamers)
    -Second Chance builds is the only build to avoid the above.
    -Servers are so awful, hit detection is so much more whack than it used to be. So many killers get stupid hids who have high mobility/fast moving projectiles!!! THIS ONE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST FACTORS.
    -More and more hindered/haste stacking exists on killer side
    -Pentimento exists
    -Small Coldwind with no loops and Haddonfield exist
    -Franklins still has no counter (perk or addon that lets you keep items in hand)
    -Perks like Mirrored illusion/Bardic give NO points on usage, don't feel rewarding to use at all
    -Anti-Camp is one of the most useless easy to exploit systems made for this game
    -Invocations are perks designed around the ideaology that survivors have room to take such huge risks (they dont)
    -Boons take too much time to set up and are too weak for the investment
    -Chests are so far and few between and give no addons without a perk, and broken keys and maps exist which are useless without them.
    -Medkits self heal was nerfed to the point even self care + Botany is better, med kit tiers not being better in any way upon tier up is one of the worst things they've ever added.
    -Gen slowdown stacking feels like you can be on a single gen for up to 2 minutes or more at a time, it's awful
    -Calm Spirit has still not had its downside removed LMAO
    -Lobby Dodging is making MMR Redundant.

    The list could go on, and on and on and on and on. Of course there are issues on killer side too, but there is soooo many issues rn with survivor, and we havn't even gotten to the bugs yet.

    this is gonna be a long one:

    -Flashlight angles reduced as a result of nerfing flashbangs

    flashlight saves were already easier to do than they ever were, so adding a bit more skill expression doesn't hurt at all. I don't see how this impacts give up rates.

    -Lightburn removed (I feel like killers who are effected by it should have had a new mechanic akin to singularity to fight back their power with new items/interactions)

    can't see how this impacts give up rates either.

    -Kaneki/Blight/Nurse etc exist

    unless we are talking about Brutal zoning Blight and aura reading Nurse, these killers are so fun to play against.

    Slugging exists more as a result of more widespread knowledge (thanks killer streamers)

    slugging got more encouraged thanks to hooks becoming more beneficial for survs, where forcing and spreading hooks is basically a free card to handicap yourself. BHVR is responsible for this. And it actually is counterable.

    -Tunneling exists again as a result of more widespread knowledge (again thanks killer streamers)

    tunneling exists because of 20s chase times. You now have pretty much enough tools to stop a tunneler dead on their tracks consistently. Purely players' fault

    -Second Chance builds is the only build to avoid the above.

    second chance builds are used for other purposes than just countering the above lol.

    Servers are so awful, hit detection is so much more whack than it used to be. So many killers get stupid hids who have high mobility/fast moving projectiles!!! THIS ONE IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE BIGGEST FACTORS.

    servers are awful in terms of frequent crashes, not giving up rates. And game is not peer-to-peer anymore btw.

    More and more hindered/haste stacking exists on killer side

    so does haste stacking on surv side. With new Orella perk it's gonna become even worse. On killer side i would nuke PWYF tho.

    Pentimento exists

    although very problematic, it received a good nerf in PTB, so can't be used as an excuse anymore.

    Small Coldwind with no loops and Haddonfield exist

    so 2 realms are reasons why people give up? Lol

    Franklins still has no counter (perk or addon that lets you keep items in hand)

    as long as Syringes exist in the game in their current state, i won't blame anyone using Franklins and perk is fine as it is.

    Perks like Mirrored illusion/Bardic give NO points on usage, don't feel rewarding to use at all

    why would they give points? Are BPs all that matters in the game?

    Anti-Camp is one of the most useless easy to exploit systems made for this game

    in an ideal world where people actually learned how to play against campers, camping rate would drop significantly because killers would learn how situational it is, and there would be even no need for anti-facecamp.

    Not to mention that most of the times your teammates are the ones hindering you from progress on anti-facecamp.

    Invocations are perks designed around the ideaology that survivors have room to take such huge risks (they dont)

    you don't need to use them tho.

    Boons take too much time to set up and are too weak for the investment

    too weak? Lol, CoH is still good in SWFs, Exponential is also good, Shadowstep is okay.

    Chests are so far and few between and give no addons without a perk, and broken keys and maps exist which are useless without them.

    if ppl are really giving up because of this, then idk what to tell.

    Medkits self heal was nerfed to the point even self care + Botany is better, med kit tiers not being better in any way upon tier up is one of the worst things they've ever added

    is this a joke? Medkits are still literally the most powerful item and with Surgical Suture healing speed is very decent. Not to mention Syringes as the ultimately overpowered addon.

    Gen slowdown stacking feels like you can be on a single gen for up to 2 minutes or more at a time, it's awful

    except if we are talking about quad slowdowns on S-tiers, gen slowdowns even though still meta because nothing else is really useful are in the worst state they've ever been.

    Calm Spirit has still not had its downside removed LMAO

    why would you even use it?

    Lobby Dodging is making MMR Redundant.

    even though it's cringe to avoid competent SWFs, i don't see any problem in dodging bully squads.

    The list could go on, and on and on and on and on. Of course there are issues on killer side too, but there is soooo many issues rn with survivor, and we havn't even gotten to the bugs yet.

    tbh, almost whole list is just a "game still isn't easy enough for us to win on autopilot so we will keep giving up until we face perkless Trappers" complaining.

  • Overall, I think it goes something like this:

    player remembers the most fun times they had playing survivor in the past and decides to Q.

    player loads into the match and realises real fast that a) they are up against a killer/are on a map where their very bad experience absolutely trump any good experience they might have had or b) the match they are in now is not just one of those fun times but actually reminding them of all the bad times they had playing the game.

    player nopes out.

    player remembers the most fun times they had playing survivor in the past and decides to Q again - because maybe this time it's different.

    Repeat.

    The thing is; that "maybe this time it's different" works just often enough to keep trying - while the vast majority of matches are, for one or the other reason, still miserable. A lot of it has to do with the changes over the past 2-3 years - a lot of it has to do with fatigue and addiction (addiction to luck-based gambling; trust, next time it's gonna be a win) and a lot of it has to do with a certain kind of unpredictability and the resulting chronic lack of preparedness; outside the most meta perks having a surv build that doesn't match the killer/killer's playing style is the rule, not the exception.

  • @A_T_E said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914538#Comment_3914538

    I didn't play a single game of Victim in my first few months of playing DBD, until I found out there's a once-per-day EXP incentive to do so.

    Now I play Victim once per day, and occasionally when there's something ridiculous like 100%+ BP bonus for Victims.
    Perhaps this is the same reason they play Victim, because they want EXP or easy BP.

    You have been playing too much TCM :D
    they are called "survivors" here

  • @mecca said:

    I mean, as unbalanced as the game is, I'm surprised this is a question.

    The question should be, how does anyone even want to play survivor in the first place.

    I agree. As in, if you are just going to give up immediately- don't ruin MY matches by playing at all. Move on to somewhere else. I can handle losing in a video game- that doesn't mean I like having to see every other person throw my chances of winning away because they can't admit they aren't having fun and stop like an adult would. Whether you are a killer or survivor- NONE OF US appreciate you actively ruining our fun by making the imbalance WORSE. Just disconnect if nothing else, you obviously don't want to play- a temporary ban shouldn't make a difference to you. At the very least- more people should be reporting those killing themselves on hook for "bad sportsmanship". They are actively ruining the game experience for everyone else, I feel like it's reasonable to call that a bannable offense when there is another option RIGHT THERE.

  • @WolfyWood said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914761#Comment_3914761

    Not to mention everyone gets mad that people who go next are 'ruining' the experience but don't acknowledge the fact that the devs willingly put in perks and items that incentivize ratting and not doing gens for a solo escape.

    This is one of the only games I know of where the devs balance around teamwork but you're allowed to have a loadout and playstyle that involves never helping your team once.

    Solo-queue will never improve as long as people can just do three chests with their chest builds while someone is being chased and another is on a hook. Probably the biggest reason why my 'friend' goes next on hook often.

    Except that still relies on you surviving to the end of the match. Usually when people say "giving up" they mean allowing themselves to die on hook or even speeding up the process.

    THAT isn't acceptable. ESPECIALLY at the second state where there isn't even a 'risk' or benefit- just you reducing the time others have to save you or try and win the game. Yet it's the MOST COMMON form of "giving up" I've seen as survivor AND killer. I will hook a person ONCE, walk away immediately WHILE a survivor is going for the unhook- yet the survivor will STILL try to kill themselves on hook and get at least on "attempt" off in the process. They are actively throwing the game, not even for their own benefit.

    There's a difference between selfishness and spite- most survivors have given up on the former to double down on the second thing WAY MORE than is healthy for the game.

  • @cesspoolechochamber said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914626#Comment_3914626

    You do realize the majority of the player base is solo que? We never had this rampant of dc or giving up in the past. Also if majority of your player base is quitting because games aren't fun the solution isn't to ignore them and help the rest or buff them. It should be to buff solo q. The only thing they did was implement icons next to the players name to let you know if your teammate is doing something or not.

    This is further elaborating on a point already made clear: players like you, whether justifying OR engaging in this behavior, are the cause for the game's decline. Giving a person 'more' only helps if they will actually take advantage of it. Otherwise, it's just giving a man a fish but not teaching him to feed himself. Survivors giving up was ALWAYS a problem, just like how they used to go out of their way to make playing the game unpleasant for KILLERS earlier in the game's history.

    At some point you are going to have to understand that KILLERS CAN'T STOP YOU from sabotaging your team. If they leave you on the floor to get picked up? It's slugging. If you have to down a survivor because they won't get out of your way as soon as they get unhooked AND don't run away after they lose the endurance? Then you're "tunneling", even if you didn't WANT to target them. Anything a killer COULD do to at least buy other survivors time is already demonized for one reason or another despite the fact survivors are often CHOOSING to get themselves killed and lose the game.

    Remember how you said "the only thing they gave solo queue was those icons"? That was what the community ASKED FOR, claiming it was discord players not needing information perks that made solo queue terrible. Yet every time I look at the icons, all I see is people REFUSING to repair a single generator. I am SEEING as a survivor that other survivors are the problem, and blaming it on killers is just so you all don't have to admit survivors are the MOST toxic side of dbd. It's to the extent they can't even get along WITH EACH OTHER when that is the entire POINT of the game. I was a killer main then the same reason I gave up on being one now- survivors are so apathetic to the fun of others, that it's going to ruin people's perception of the game overall.

    Consider: why shouldn't a killer slug or tunnel if the game is going to be a foregone conclusion? When EVERY MATCH has someone intentionally let themselves die early, dooming the team to a loss, why pretend like the game isn't already over? Why pretend like it isn't going to happen again when it's happened every game you've played for the last year?

    Why should I care about your fun, when your own team mate is the reason you won't have any- and you'll blame me for it anyway?

    It used to just be "bully squads". Now? Now everyone ELSE is also having to deal with others making the game horrible to play. It's not a new problem, you're just unable to ignore it now.

  • @WeaverReaver42 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3914637#Comment_3914637

    This is further elaborating on a point already made clear: players like you, whether justifying OR engaging in this behavior, are the cause for the game's decline. Giving a person 'more' only helps if they will actually take advantage of it. Otherwise, it's just giving a man a fish but not teaching him to feed himself. Survivors giving up was ALWAYS a problem, just like how they used to go out of their way to make playing the game unpleasant for KILLERS earlier in the game's history.

    At some point you are going to have to understand that KILLERS CAN'T STOP YOU from sabotaging your team. If they leave you on the floor to get picked up? It's slugging. If you have to down a survivor because they won't get out of your way as soon as they get unhooked AND don't run away after they lose the endurance? Then you're "tunneling", even if you didn't WANT to target them. Anything a killer COULD do to at least buy other survivors time is already demonized for one reason or another despite the fact survivors are often CHOOSING to get themselves killed and lose the game.

    Remember how you said "the only thing they gave solo queue was those icons"? That was what the community ASKED FOR, claiming it was discord players not needing information perks that made solo queue terrible. Yet every time I look at the icons, all I see is people REFUSING to repair a single generator. I am SEEING as a survivor that other survivors are the problem, and blaming it on killers is just so you all don't have to admit survivors are the MOST toxic side of dbd. It's to the extent they can't even get along WITH EACH OTHER when that is the entire POINT of the game. I was a killer main then the same reason I gave up on being one now- survivors are so apathetic to the fun of others, that it's going to ruin people's perception of the game overall.

    Consider: why shouldn't a killer slug or tunnel if the game is going to be a foregone conclusion? When EVERY MATCH has someone intentionally let themselves die early, dooming the team to a loss, why pretend like the game isn't already over? Why pretend like it isn't going to happen again when it's happened every game you've played for the last year?

    Why should I care about your fun, when your own team mate is the reason you won't have any- and you'll blame me for it anyway?

    It used to just be "bully squads". Now? Now everyone ELSE is also having to deal with others making the game horrible to play. It's not a new problem, you're just unable to ignore it now.

    Me and a few other people on the forums have been saying for years that survivors are their own worst enemy. It's not the killers, it's our teammates. It's such a hard thing to get a lot of people to see. They see the killer using some unfun tactic but not the reason why that's occurring. I'm usually observant enough to see what's going on and yeah, the survivor's cause a large number of their own problems. And unless the killer is super nice it becomes my problem, too. I'll help teammates who are even halfway decent but I'm not taking on the extra burden of teammates who are awful and sandbag everyone just so I can die while they get all the rewards of escaping. We'll die as a team.

    SBMM and its horrible execution made playing survivor a damn nightmare. I had better matches when it was the emblem system determining rank, because I could kind of influence where I was in the ranking and generally get teammates I worked well with.

    Every time I get frustrated and quit playing early for the evening, it's because of other survivors. And when I take breaks from the game (like right now), I miss interacting with killers a bit but I'm so damn happy to not deal with other survivors for a while.

1 2 3