New former reshade user is now worried about getting banned

Hello,
I'd like to start this off by saying I couldn't use the NVIDIA filters because of a computer issue so I resorted to Reshade. I recently saw on X a very famous streamer, Reudig, saying both Reshade and NVIDIA filters are now flagged by EAC.
Problem is: After updating the game to its latest patch, I played about 5 matches as normal with my filters before seeing the patches. I then got kicked out of one of my games by EAC and decided to take a break and check X, which is when I got informed of the new changes.
Is my account flagged? Will I get banned?
Thanks.

Tagged: Co-ordinatorMod

Comments

  • I only used reshade with a sharpen and a brigtness filter. I know there are people who use reshade for advantages, but I'm pretty sure that most of us used it for tweaking the graphics a bit because the game have a severe lack of graphic settings. Calling us cheaters is a bit too much, and the advantages you get for using reshade is not that high, the highest one is the one which let you see the red stain better and most of the streamers I've been watching since years don't use that filter.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787410#Comment_3787410

    I wouldn't bother. They'll pull out some obscure clip of a Blight player with all colours muted except for red and then act like 99% of filters users do the same when in reality all most of us do is slightly alter brightness or contrast (within bounds that most modern monitors and TVs can too).

    At this point better start running hardware checks and banning people who intentionally play on Low settings to reduce foliage since it's an objective advantage.

  • @Halloulle said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787457#Comment_3787457

    agreed it would be a lot better; I truly wish we had decent graphics settings. - But I also take the tiny chance of someone using something that by some is defined as cheating in the mean time over the vast majority being left in the rain.

    While not as life threatening it falls - for me - into the same category as the transportation rules saying you must not eat or drink on the subway and that you will get kicked off if you do. Idk about you - but if someone has something in their throat/has an issue with the AC and is coughing as if they're suffocating I doubt anyone has a problem with them opening their friggin bottle, drinking something and chewing gum or eating a bonbon or whatever to help with the throat.

    I sincerely doubt that the "vast majority" of people using filters are using them because they are colorblind.

  • @WolfyWood said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787412#Comment_3787412

    At this point better start running hardware checks and banning people who intentionally play on Low settings to reduce foliage since it's an objective advantage.

    Unironically they'll be arguing this next.

  • Also. Just for reference, let's play a game of which is which. We got a) no Luma Sharpen but AA b) Luma Sharpen but no AA c) no AA and no Luma Sharpen (you probably have to click to open it full size cause otherwise you can't see the difference in the first place…)

    grafik.png

    Do I want to be able to achieve my preferred look (no AA but Luma Sharpen) without having to resort to Reshade? Absolutely! Am I holding my breath it will happen within the next five years? Absolutely not.

    Most people I know that use Reshade use it in a way similar to mine. Some adjust the gamma, some colour balance - sometimes to account for their display that is old or calibrated for something else. - Usually you can't even tell they use it if it's not a side-by-side image.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787453#Comment_3787453

    • You can check NVIDIA's list of officially supported games.
    • A deaf person downloading cheats to have wallhacks on survivors is such an absurd strawman I won't even entertain it.
    • How do you know I HAVEN'T asked for better accessibility options in the base game? For the record, I mention this in the feedback surveys they do regularly, have spoke about it on Twitter, and previously spoke about it here.
    • The 3rd party program in question being software integrated with my graphics card that came with my PC. You heard it here first folks, if you buy a NVIDIA graphics card you're a cheater.
    • Did NVIDIA buy BHVR recently and i not know about it? Because that doesn't feel like an official source to me.
    • Care to explain how? It really is the same logic, your argument that you have presented so far is not "filter are not cheating" but that "Filters are important for accessibility" i am simply refuting that logic by pointing out the comparison that could be made in another situation. If you want to make the argument from an accessibility standpoint, you must confront the example i provided. Now, if you want to present the idea that filters are not cheating, i would be happy to read that as i have several counterpoints on that as well i could mention.
    • I'm not saying you haven't, i'm simply stating that the better solution to accessibility issues is to make them, you know, accessible to all players and that you should continue to petition BHVR for better accessibility options.
    • I never said buying an NVIDIA graphics card is cheating, i stated using this 3rd party program is, i can also buy a mouse for CS:GO that has scripts built in to control my recoil, but valve is banning players for that, is that suddenly not cheating either?
  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787466#Comment_3787466

    I sincerely doubt that the "vast majority" of people using filters are using them because they are colorblind.

    never claimed it was because of colorblindness. - I was saying "within the norm" i.e. to account for personal preferences that have no significant impact on match outcomes.

  • Even if you don't use NVIDIAs reshade/freestyle it's installed by default unless you do a custom install. Are we saying that running a common video driver software will result in a ban? I don't think so.

  • @HexHuntressThighs said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787371#Comment_3787371

    The "advantage" you receive for having a brighter game is borderline insignificant to people with good eyesight. It is almost exclusively beneficial for people with vision problems, unless you are using a crazy color reshade. So let's just get rid of all of our poor eyesight players because we will stop 1 out of every 10,000 players that uses it in a negative way. Makes sense.

    I dunno man I never used the filters and don't have that much knowledge about them. Seems odd that so many pc players meltdown because they don't want to play the game with the graphics looking the way they are intended when console players are fine. Also like I said when Hunt banned them everyone said they were going to stop playing but it seems that very few actually did.

  • This is sad because the game looks blurry af without any filters, I've been using Nvidia filters for years now and since last patch switched to ReShade to add sharpness on the screen.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787473#Comment_3787473

    • Did NVIDIA buy BHVR recently and i not know about it? Because that doesn't feel like an official source to me.
    • Care to explain how? It really is the same logic, your argument that you have presented so far is not "filter are not cheating" but that "Filters are important for accessibility" i am simply refuting that logic by pointing out the comparison that could be made in another situation. If you want to make the argument from an accessibility standpoint, you must confront the example i provided. Now, if you want to present the idea that filters are not cheating, i would be happy to read that as i have several counterpoints on that as well i could mention.
    • I'm not saying you haven't, i'm simply stating that the better solution to accessibility issues is to make them, you know, accessible to all players and that you should continue to petition BHVR for better accessibility options.
    • I never said buying an NVIDIA graphics card is cheating, i stated using this 3rd party program is, i can also buy a mouse for CS:GO that has scripts built in to control my recoil, but valve is banning players for that, is that suddenly not cheating either?

    I'm not directing this at anyone just thought your post would be a good place to add this. While I don't really have an opinion on filters one way or another, BHVR has said use 3rd party programs at your own risk, since I started playing. The only outlier is that they do not ban for communication apps.

    Just because EAC has allowed something for a long time does not mean they always will. They could even re-allow it on a whim. This whole thing could be caused by a bug for all we know.

    Either way, you are correct, I don't remember BHVR ever saying any software related to this are allowed. EAC, if I recall, pretty much determines it, as far as I know.

    From the support page.

    "OTHER HACKS

    Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game.

    We do not ban for the use of communication apps"

  • @Halloulle said:

    Also. Just for reference, let's play a game of which is which. We got a) no Luma Sharpen but AA b) Luma Sharpen but no AA c) no AA and no Luma Sharpen (you probably have to click to open it full size cause otherwise you can't see the difference in the first place…)

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/VHGN8A1O8KH2/grafik.png

    Do I want to be able to achieve my preferred look (no AA but Luma Sharpen) without having to resort to Reshade? Absolutely! Am I holding my breath it will happen within the next five years? Absolutely not.

    Most people I know that use Reshade use it in a way similar to mine. Some adjust the gamma, some colour balance - sometimes to account for their display that is old or calibrated for something else. - Usually you can't even tell they use it if it's not a side-by-side image.

    We have to get used to the blurriness, I was a luma sharpen user. The native AA of the game is the TAA, one of the worse implemented in fact. Not using AA is not an alternative, because with the AA disabled the character hairs and grass look too pixelated, specially for the ones playing at 1080p like me. I hope it is reverted back.

  • @doobiedo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787477#Comment_3787477

    I dunno man I never used the filters and don't have that much knowledge about them. Seems odd that so many pc players meltdown because they don't want to play the game with the graphics looking the way they are intended when console players are fine. Also like I said when Hunt banned them everyone said they were going to stop playing but it seems that very few actually did.

    I can promise you 99.99% of non colorblind players only make the game brighter and not even by a lot because maps like coldwind farms and eyrie of crow are so bright that if you make the filter too bright then you cant see anything on those maps.

    People "Melt down" and rightfully so. Should I just tell my friend to go shove off after putting hundreds of dollars into the game after he found out he could use filters to play since he has a smaller retina than normal? Why change something that has been in the game for years? Especially when the advantages are miniscule and help people with problems more than to gain an advantage.

    Be honest with yourself, have you ever thought. "Those guys probably beat me because they are using filters."

    The only people who are glad filters are gone are console players, period. Since they can't have them NO ONE CAN.

  • @IamFran said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787492#Comment_3787492

    We have to get used to the blurriness, I was a luma sharpen user. The native AA of the game is the TAA, one of the worse implemented in fact. Not using AA is not an alternative, because with the AA disabled the character hairs and grass look too pixelated, specially for the ones playing at 1080p like me. I hope it is reverted back.

    Have you tried enabling fsr. I noticed on the steamdeck it seems to make the game a bit sharper when I'm playing on the tv. Any game I've played that uses taa looks blurry at 1080p for some reason. Never noticed it at higher res.

  • I only used nVDIA filters for seeing scratch marks better and to make the game look crisper. Now that we have brighter reds I don't see a need for the filters anymore and won't use them.

  • Oh stop. The game isn't bright enough on many TVs. People have been saying that for years. I genuinely can't see on many maps on the PS5 version with my TV set to game mode and the brightness maxed. The game is too dark.

  • People getting antsy at Reshade users when DBD lacks graphics settings that were standard like 10 years ago is weird.

  • What it boils down to is this.

    1. Supposedly Reshade is whitelisted by EAC. (I have no horse in the race, I am just repeating what I have been told.)
    2. There seems to possibly be a bug where Reshade is being flagged.
    3. If EAC does flag you for using Reshade, BHVR's official policy is that they don't support third-party software, and so if you are banned by EAC they will not restore your account.

      As always, use it at your own risk.
  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    People getting antsy at Reshade users when DBD lacks graphics settings that were standard like 10 years ago is weird.

    That's essentially what it boils down to. A brightness slider is a basic feature that has been industry standard for over a decade at this point. It took 5+ years to get a color blind mode. "Balance" isn't the reason we don't have a brightness slider. It doesn't directly make them money.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787383#Comment_3787383

    Oh stop. The game isn't bright enough on many TVs. People have been saying that for years. I genuinely can't see on many maps on the PS5 version with my TV set to game mode and the brightness maxed. The game is too dark.

    You can’t use filters on PS5 so if it’s really an issue then surely the answer is to add in game options for all players, not to use external modifiers only available for a portion of the playerbase

  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787695#Comment_3787695

    You can’t use filters on PS5 so if it’s really an issue then surely the answer is to add in game options for all players, not to use external modifiers only available for a portion of the playerbase

    I don't. I don't even use filters on PC. I just play on low graphics so the game is acceptably lit. This might be the silliest thing that gets debated in the community. Add a brightness slider like every other game released in the last 10 years.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787360#Comment_3787360

    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't NVIDIA filters provided on an opt-in basis? So game developers are responsible for asking NVIDIA to make them compatible with their game? That's the gist I get when I search online, and DbD is listed as a supported game by NVIDIA themselves (https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/geforce-experience/games/).

    They are compatible you can literally get on the software on your computer and boot DBD up from it directly, Nvidia is just the computers graphics card it's not a cheat program like the ones people are actually being banned for, I played all day with nvidia and didn't get banned today but my filters were disabled, I just can't download another program to bypass that and I'll be fine, that's where people are getting in trouble is looking for workarounds instead of just letting them go.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787703#Comment_3787703

    That's essentially what it boils down to. A brightness slider is a basic feature that has been industry standard for over a decade at this point. It took 5+ years to get a color blind mode. "Balance" isn't the reason we don't have a brightness slider. It doesn't directly make them money.

    considering field of view was a perk for 8 years we might get a brightness slider in year 14

  • @Moonras2 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787511#Comment_3787511

    Have you tried enabling fsr. I noticed on the steamdeck it seems to make the game a bit sharper when I'm playing on the tv. Any game I've played that uses taa looks blurry at 1080p for some reason. Never noticed it at higher res.

    FSR downsample the image, the game look sharper but worse in the rest of the aspects. In addition, the FSR version in DBD is old.

  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    People getting antsy at Reshade users when DBD lacks graphics settings that were standard like 10 years ago is weird.

    20 years ago, or more.

    The brightness setting is maybe one of the oldest settings in 3D games.

  • @IamFran said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787537#Comment_3787537

    FSR downsample the image, the game look sharper but worse in the rest of the aspects. In addition, the FSR version in DBD is old.

    Yes it is but I don't really notice any difference with it in image quality in this game, outside of it being sharper. That's on my steamdeck though, I've never tried it on my main PC or console. At least not in this game.

    Waaaiiit, I remember now. It's because I tend to play on the lowest settings and it kind of disables the taa anyway I believe.

  • @doobiedo said:

    It's hilarious seeing the meltdowns in the other forums about his. It reminds me of when Hunt: Showdown banned Reshade. Everyone was raging saying "I'm colorblind", "its too dark it looks bad", and on and on. I will say Reshade was much worse in Hunt as there were ways to use it to explicitly cheat, while in dbd it's more subtle things like making the red stain and scratch marks more noticeable and such. Still I think it is best for the game to have an even playing field as much as possible and I mean we all know most of the people complaining are not colorblind, they just want their slight advantage.

    I didn't even know this was a thing. I have bad eyesight (thanks dad for the shoddy genetics) but I just play with glasses, and don't BHVR have colour blind settings? I imagine most do use it for the advantage

  • Game looks so blurry and bad without reshare. Theres no way to improve brightness or sharpness in the game itself so before they go banning people for using reshare or NVIDIA they should be adding these into the game which should have been added already years ago. No one should be forced to play on LOW settings to see something!.

    I don't want to play in dark room to see something during daytimes.

    " What about console players" You console players made your choice to be console players no? Playing 5 meters away from your screen is already a handicap compared to PC players. Some games are better for PC some are better for console and DBD is better for PC. Sorry thats just the sad truth. 🙄

  • @Royval said:

    reshade should be a form of cheating

    It's absolutely cheating. Darkness is literally supposed to be part of the game balance on some maps. Heck, we have an ENTIRE GAMEMODE dedicated to darkness. Filters completely remove that element. It's cheating - 100%

  • @Hannacia said:

    Game looks so blurry and bad without reshare. Theres no way to improve brightness or sharpness in the game itself so before they go banning people for using reshare or NVIDIA they should be adding these into the game which should have been added already years ago. No one should be forced to play on LOW settings to see something!.

    I don't want to play in dark room to see something during daytimes.

    " What about console players" You console players made your choice to be console players no? Playing 5 meters away from your screen is already a handicap compared to PC players. Some games are better for PC some are better for console and DBD is better for PC. Sorry thats just the sad truth. 🙄

    Not a fan of the last paragraph. A lot of factors go into why someone could have a console. Funds or lacks of space for a computer are a example of it not really being the console users fault. And at least other games give options to console users like brightness. Been a thing for ages.

  • @IamFran said:

    I only used reshade with a sharpen and a brigtness filter. I know there are people who use reshade for advantages, but I'm pretty sure that most of us used it for tweaking the graphics a bit because the game have a severe lack of graphic settings. Calling us cheaters is a bit too much, and the advantages you get for using reshade is not that high, the highest one is the one which let you see the red stain better and most of the streamers I've been watching since years don't use that filter.

    Being able to modify red stain = Cheating. Simple as that.

    @HexHuntressThighs said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787371#Comment_3787371

    The "advantage" you receive for having a brighter game is borderline insignificant to people with good eyesight. It is almost exclusively beneficial for people with vision problems, unless you are using a crazy color reshade. So let's just get rid of all of our poor eyesight players because we will stop 1 out of every 10,000 players that uses it in a negative way. Makes sense.

    i have good eyesight but the visibility in dbd is intentional poor. It is meant to intentionally poor for stealth. your meant miss visual cues of the game. you can argue that this form of balance shouldn't be in the game or what not but cheating to acquire said advantage is problematic.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787860#Comment_3787860

    Not a fan of the last paragraph. A lot of factors go into why someone could have a console. Funds or lacks of space for a computer are a example of it not really being the console users fault. And at least other games give options to console users like brightness. Been a thing for ages.

    I'm not hating on console players by any means if you think that. I know there are always choices and factors. I used to be console player back at the days and i still to this day think RPGS are best played on console. There are games i own on steam that i hate playing on keyboard which are just simply better on controller.

    I'm just simply stating the fact that DBD used to be PC only game at the start no? Correct me if im wrong. So of course they are going to be more catered towards PC.

    Lack of space… well honest Big ass tv takes more space than small desk and a PC. Money wise.. yeah Pcs are pricey and requires more parts, and not everyone can afford to buy expensive gaming PCs, which you don't need to play this game. You can easily play this game with 500-600 euro /dollar PC. Which is the same price as PS5. Many people enjoy sitting on the couch and kick back and play the game. I'm not blaming them, but sitting far away from the tv and not having the options PC has comes with that choice. I can almost every time tell whos a controller/ console player when i see one as a killer. They have clumsier movements than PC killers.

  • @syain said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787324#Comment_3787324

    Sure. But you'd think such a drastic change in your game's anticheat (so much so that players are kicked out of lobbies by it for using a program that didn't cause any issues for over 3 years) should've been given more attention, no? At least a tweet? There's countless players who don't have NVIDIA graphics cards who use reshade and now just don't know if they're gonna get banned from the game and lose all their progress or not.

    There are also players that play the game with the colour settings that the developers intentionally put in the game. Could this have been communicated better? Absolutely. However, I think reshade, or any kind of shading software for that matter, should have been looked at years ago. An earlier change could have prevented years of discussion and distasteful conversations.

  • @Coordi said:

    We do not support any third-party software and we have always advised players that they are "use at your own risk".

    Why not talk about how the original in-game gamma is so dark there's black crush absolutely everywhere?

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787410#Comment_3787410

    I wouldn't bother. They'll pull out some obscure clip of a Blight player with all colours muted except for red and then act like 99% of filters users do the same when in reality all most of us do is slightly alter brightness or contrast (within bounds that most modern monitors and TVs can too).

    This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

    Its undeniable that certain software is used to gain a competetive advantage. Saying otherwise is plain wrong. However, as with most aspects discussed here, there are layers to it. Not all players that use shaders use it to gain a competetive advantage.

    One example that comes to mind is Otz. When he streams, as far as I know, he puts a filter over the game for the audience so that the viewing experience is more pleasant. I presume many people do something akin to that.

    On the other hand, you have other streamers, Im certain that most people know them that are invested into competetive dbd, that use different shaders for different maps to gain an advantage over others. This is what @Reinami is presumably talking about it here:

    @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787404#Comment_3787404

    So should people who are deaf be allowed download a cheat as killer to show the aura of survivors because they aren't able to hear where they are? After all, they are doing it for accessibility purposes.

    The advantage is often relatively small, especially when compared to the massive advantage streched resolution was able to provide in the past.

    Similarly to streched res, however, nobody can convice me that making toba landing look like the desert from dune just to have the terror radius / scratch marks be flashing red on your screen is just to make the game "look nice".

    • Making the game a bit brighter to have a more pleasant viweing experience? I dont think anybody has a problem with that.
    • Using specific filters for each map to make crucial gameplay indicators easier to see or straight up earlier visible? That is where people take offense and I can honestly understand why.
  • @JPLongstreet said:

    Us consolers over here grabbing the popcorn and seeing how this plays out..... 🍿🍿

    Give me some of that popcorn as well. This is streched res all over again.

  • @WolfyWood said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787412#Comment_3787412

    At this point better start running hardware checks and banning people who intentionally play on Low settings to reduce foliage since it's an objective advantage.

    You know us consolers cannot even change the graphics low-high-ultra whatever PC can do? We're locked at High I believe.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787479#Comment_3787479

    Being able to modify red stain = Cheating. Simple as that.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787477#Comment_3787477

    i have good eyesight but the visibility in dbd is intentional poor. It is meant to intentionally poor for stealth. your meant miss visual cues of the game. you can argue that this form of balance shouldn't be in the game or what not but cheating to acquire said advantage is problematic.

    “It’s intentionally hard to see things” but how much harder is it for the people with poor eyesight. We aren’t talking about stretch Rez here which was a huge advantage. We’re talking about making things slightly brighter and easier on the eyes

    I just found out my monitor has its own gamma, color, exposure and contrast filters so I’m still using “filters” anyways. I’m not going to be exiled from a game I’ve spent $500 plus on just because a few people use filters for a minuscule competitive advantage.

  • @HexHuntressThighs said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787913#Comment_3787913

    “It’s intentionally hard to see things” but how much harder is it for the people with poor eyesight. We aren’t talking about stretch Rez here which was a huge advantage. We’re talking about making things slightly brighter and easier on the eyes

    I just found out my monitor has its own gamma, color, exposure and contrast filters so I’m still using “filters” anyways. I’m not going to be exiled from a game I’ve spent $500 plus on just because a few people use filters for a minuscule competitive advantage.

    the game meant to be dark. it is horror game. it is just some player don't want that. they want the game to be clear as crystal for competitive advantage. all they're doing in this update is removing competitive advantage, much like stretch res. reshade and filter are much worse then stretch res. red glow if used by experienced survivor makes 60% of m1 killer practically unplayable if the player is good.

  • @Devil_hit11 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3788194#Comment_3788194

    the game meant to be dark. it is horror game. it is just some player don't want that. they want the game to be clear as crystal for competitive advantage. all they're doing in this update is removing competitive advantage, much like stretch res. reshade and filter are much worse then stretch res. red glow if used by experienced survivor makes 60% of m1 killer practically unplayable if the player is good.

    … there's a difference between "dark" and "might as well turn the display off"

  • @GonnaBlameTheMovies said:

    I only used nVDIA filters for seeing scratch marks better and to make the game look crisper. Now that we have brighter reds I don't see a need for the filters anymore and won't use them.

    Glad scrachmarks got brightened but what about the red stain? Scratchmarks are opaque but red stain is transparent.

    Killers dont need filters anymore but survivor still has the same red stain from 7 years ago?

    Niiiiice

  • @radiantHero23 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787412#Comment_3787412

    This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.

    Its undeniable that certain software is used to gain a competetive advantage. Saying otherwise is plain wrong. However, as with most aspects discussed here, there are layers to it. Not all players that use shaders use it to gain a competetive advantage.

    One example that comes to mind is Otz. When he streams, as far as I know, he puts a filter over the game for the audience so that the viewing experience is more pleasant. I presume many people do something akin to that.

    On the other hand, you have other streamers, Im certain that most people know them that are invested into competetive dbd, that use different shaders for different maps to gain an advantage over others. This is what @Reinami is presumably talking about it here:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787422#Comment_3787422

    The advantage is often relatively small, especially when compared to the massive advantage streched resolution was able to provide in the past.

    Similarly to streched res, however, nobody can convice me that making toba landing look like the desert from dune just to have the terror radius / scratch marks be flashing red on your screen is just to make the game "look nice".

    • Making the game a bit brighter to have a more pleasant viweing experience? I dont think anybody has a problem with that.
    • Using specific filters for each map to make crucial gameplay indicators easier to see or straight up earlier visible? That is where people take offense and I can honestly understand why.

    Ok, so now w are getting somewhere. The advantage it gives is SMALL. So how much of an advantage do we think is acceptable for a 3rd party program to give before it crosses the realm into a "cheat"?

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787951#Comment_3787951

    Ok, so now w are getting somewhere. The advantage it gives is SMALL. So how much of an advantage do we think is acceptable for a 3rd party program to give before it crosses the realm into a "cheat"?

    I think seeing the red stain a second at most earlier is indeed a relatively small advantage. Especially when compared to what cheaters usually pull off. If anybody has encountered real blatant cheaters that want you to have a miserable time, regardless of the role your play, im certain one can agree on that.

    I personally think that shaders give a smaller advantage than streched resolution gave to people (literally seeing over objects resulting in certain tiles not being mindgameable and countering ghostface´s power).

    I do however think that people like Otz that just adjust the brightness a bit to make the experience more pleasant or that have problems with eyesight do not really use shaders to get a competetive advantage. Making the game brighter does usually not make scratch marks or red stain more visible as far as I know.

    As I mentioned before, using shaders to make the red stain look like a block in front of the killer while the colours of the rest of the game look grey at best, is definitely done for an in game advantage and to these people I say the same as to the people that used streched res to do the same in the past: good riddance!

    So to conclude. I think making the game a bit more bright is definitely acceptable.

  • @doobiedo said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787416#Comment_3787416

    Actually many high level and comp players say controller is superior for playing survivor.

    How? Hugging walls on controller is a nightmare

  • @radiantHero23 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3788244#Comment_3788244

    I think seeing the red stain a second at most earlier is indeed a relatively small advantage. Especially when compared to what cheaters usually pull off. If anybody has encountered real blatant cheaters that want you to have a miserable time, regardless of the role your play, im certain one can agree on that.

    I personally think that shaders give a smaller advantage than streched resolution gave to people (literally seeing over objects resulting in certain tiles not being mindgameable and countering ghostface´s power).

    I do however think that people like Otz that just adjust the brightness a bit to make the experience more pleasant or that have problems with eyesight do not really use shaders to get a competetive advantage. Making the game brighter does usually not make scratch marks or red stain more visible as far as I know.

    As I mentioned before, using shaders to make the red stain look like a block in front of the killer while the colours of the rest of the game look grey at best, is definitely done for an in game advantage and to these people I say the same as to the people that used streched res to do the same in the past: good riddance!

    So to conclude. I think making the game a bit more bright is definitely acceptable.

    But therein lies the problem. The same program that can "just increase the brightness a bit" can be used to increase the red stain such that it can be seen through cracks in walls in ways that normally it could not be seen. So this program can be used to go into the territory that you already agree is a "cheat". So in light of that, there's no way BHVR can allow this program to be used in a way that lets them see HOW it is being used and then ban those that are using it a little "too much"

  • I dunno watch mr tatorhead video on youtube about it.

  • @SkeletonDance said:

    I doubt that they're gonna ban 70%+ of playerbase

    It's my understanding the largest part of the player base is on console (by far).

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787440#Comment_3787440

    Some key things you’re conveniently omitting are that:

    • DbD officially supported NVIDIA filters for years.
    • The overwhelming majority of players who use filters do so moderately. The examples on YouTube you’re referring to are just a loud minority.
    • You can use so many things to “cheat” if your definition is so lax it includes using officially supported features. We should just delete the whole game and all hardware and software ever invented lest someone use any of it to cheat 🙏
    • Citation? I've always heard "you use third party software at your own risk".
    • In your opinion. You don't actually know. Funnily enough, I've mostly heard about these for unfair advantages. (It was like the ratio cheat "because it's prettier" excuse.)
    • No thanks.
  • @イエローミント said:

    To play games on a PC, you need a graphics card. Do you understand that? The "GeForce Experience Filter" is part of the functionality of that graphics card. It is not a cheat tool. However, some people are being denied access to this functionality. The "GeForce Experience Filter" is no different from using the small buttons on a monitor to adjust settings for each game. It doesn’t make the sound louder, nor does it drop anything; it simply makes the visuals easier on the eyes.

    Replacing some perk or character icons is an action that involves altering the game client’s data, which can be considered more malicious as it modifies the game. However, when it comes to replacing these icons, many people opposed it, saying, "Don’t take away our enjoyment." This is the same.

    Mouse?

    Keyboard?

    Macroing/programming features? These are banned in many places.

    Just a few days ago Valve has banned an infamous "gaming" keyboard feature for CS2.

    A GPU is supposed to render a game the way the developer intended.

    If your GPU had a wall-hack built-in, would it be also fine for you?

    Not for me.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3787453#Comment_3787453

    • You can check NVIDIA's list of officially supported games.
    • A deaf person downloading cheats to have wallhacks on survivors is such an absurd strawman I won't even entertain it.
    • How do you know I HAVEN'T asked for better accessibility options in the base game? For the record, I mention this in the feedback surveys they do regularly, have spoke about it on Twitter, and previously spoke about it here.
    • The 3rd party program in question being software integrated with my graphics card that came with my PC. You heard it here first folks, if you buy a NVIDIA graphics card you're a cheater.
    • Thats' not how you write "BHVR".
    • Not really, only an extension of what you defend but let's keep that aside for a bullet or two.
    • BHVR is slow to act, it doesn't justify allowing the bad solution.
    • And that's an actual strawman.
1 2 3