Why does DS need a skill check?

This is gonna ruffle some feathers, even though it shouldn't. DS is still one of the most powerful survivor perks in the game. It's anti-tunnel and then some. But even in its heyday, I always felt it shouldn't have a skill check.

Pretty often someone will say, "Oh, missed my skill check." basically allowing the killer to tunnel them as opposed to not, because that skill check decides everything. Why is it even there to miss? It's not like gens or healing where it's like, "Hey, maybe these key actions should have some skill in them, instead of just holding a button down."

And that's the rebuttal I'm anticipating. "That's just taking the skill out of it." But I always have this to say: You're talking about skill in a place where there basically is none. It's not skill to tunnel or be tunneled. So why do survivors deserve to get tunneled because they missed one skill check, when they've already equipped the anti-tunnel perk that's supposed to work?

This kind of opens up a discussion in the random assigning of skill checks to some things but not to others. Sabotaging doesn't take skill checks, and neither does totem cleansing/blessing, doing a Freddy clock, waking someone else up, cleaning at a Plague fountain, escaping a trap, breaking Pinhead's or Deathslinger's chains, getting Victor off, and so much more. But glyphs, Pig boxes, Demogorgon portal closing, snapping out madness, and other actions do? What dictates it all?

I know that if DS had no skill check it COULD hurt killer players including myself, because there's never gonna be that chance of survivors missing their DS, but I don't think they should be able to miss it in the first place. It's like a survivor needing to hit a skill check to use Borrowed Time, or a killer needing a skill check for Pop. It's just not necessary. And with so few changes for survivors these days being actual qol changes instead of straight-up buffs, I think this would be a nice change of pace.

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @Rizzo said:

    I'm going to drop this code for a Steve's outfit just like DS makes the killer drop you: 06499f1a-c038-41b0-94e4-6d6a3f0bddaa

    Just one use?

  • @SasukeKun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615802#Comment_2615802

    No Sir, just because your old system freezes during the game, that doesnt mean anything

    It means the game is bad optimized lmao. Or do you seriously think DBD is some next gen advanced game that a PS4 Pro can't run? It's literally a 5-player game with PS3 graphics.

    If you're so bothered by it, you can buy me a PS5 from the scammers that are selling it for double the price here in my country, I wouldn't mind.

  • yes they are single use codes...but we are dropping rather a lot of them in the forums today, we're also dropping them in Discord regularly throughout the day.

  • Unbreakable spawn a skill check when you 99 recovery, success to get up.

    Borrow time spawn a skill check you unhooking teammate, success so your teammate has endurance.

    Diversion spawn a skill check when throw, success to make noise from 20m away, fail will make noise on your own location.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2616111#Comment_2616111

    yes they are single use codes...but we are dropping rather a lot of them in the forums today, we're also dropping them in Discord regularly throughout the day.

    So pretty much not usable for consoles because input is too slow..


    what happens if you already own the cosmetic/character and are the first to redeem the code though?

  • Unpopular opinion: if you missed the skill check, you either didn't deserve to live, or big momma spider really wanted to drag you up to spider heaven.

  • What consoles are y'all playing on that the ds skill check is impossible to hit? I play on Switch (first gen) and Xbox 1 x, and have yet to miss the DS skill check unless i've been drinking. My reflexes aren't amazing or anything either. are y'all playing on ps3s?

  • Because denying a hook to the killer should require some level of effort.

  • Yeah Mandy answered that to someone else in another thread.

  • I think the skillcheck for DS is fine personally...it's not super difficult and it does also mean that you have the choice whether to use your DS then or not. I tend to not use DS after the first hooking (unless gone to 2nd stage), as I keep it for later in the match or when dead on hook - and also IF I've been tunnelled early, the killer doesn't tend to expect me to have DS at that point, because I didn't use it earlier.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    What consoles are y'all playing on that the ds skill check is impossible to hit? I play on Switch (first gen) and Xbox 1 x, and have yet to miss the DS skill check unless i've been drinking. My reflexes aren't amazing or anything either. are y'all playing on ps3s?

    I play on Switch, and even normal skill checks are difficult to hit. The frame drops alone cause problems, and the input lag is inconsistent. I have hundreds of hours on the Switch (thousands on PS4), and there's not a single match where I don't fail at least one normal skill check. On average I probably fail a lot more than one per match, really, but it's hard to put a number on it with how RNG skill checks are.

    Excluding RNG, if the skill check appears within the first half of the circle, the reaction time needed plus the low framerate plus the input lag means I cannot actually hit the skill check. Hell, sometimes the input lag alone means there's not enough room for me to hit the skill check if it appears too early in the circle.

  • Ds is training wheels for baby survivors. No good survivor needs ds.

  • They could probably make the skillcheck bar bigger for it, it's not really a big deal unless you tunnel.

  • @PGJSF said:

    I completely agree and have to add: I think some of the things you mentioned need to have skill checks instead. Plague fountains and mending, for example, are a form of healing. Why there’s no skill checks?

    A skill check to drink water.. that's actually funny

  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2616101#Comment_2616101

    It means the game is bad optimized lmao. Or do you seriously think DBD is some next gen advanced game that a PS4 Pro can't run? It's literally a 5-player game with PS3 graphics.

    If you're so bothered by it, you can buy me a PS5 from the scammers that are selling it for double the price here in my country, I wouldn't mind.

    because i just know what ps4 you have lmaoo

  • @lauraa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615922#Comment_2615922

    A skill check to drink water.. that's actually funny

    Drinking water can be hard! The skill check is to make sure it doesn't go down the wrong pipe. If you fail the skill check, you have to choke for a few seconds, which is why there's a loud noise notification.

  • @lauraa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615922#Comment_2615922

    A skill check to drink water.. that's actually funny

    *splashing your face with what apparently is miraculous water

  • If you don't know something about a person, the best choice is to not talk ######### about it then. Lesson for life.

  • @Mandy said:

    I think the skillcheck for DS is fine personally...it's not super difficult and it does also mean that you have the choice whether to use your DS then or not. I tend to not use DS after the first hooking (unless gone to 2nd stage), as I keep it for later in the match or when dead on hook - and also IF I've been tunnelled early, the killer doesn't tend to expect me to have DS at that point, because I didn't use it earlier.

    I always thought missing the skillcheck meant you lose DS for the trial

  • @Tr1nity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2616329#Comment_2616329

    I always thought missing the skillcheck meant you lose DS for the trial

    No, you just can’t attempt to hit the skill check.

  • Arguably, so you can choose not to use it on your first hook, saving it for your 2nd rescue just in case that's when you/your team really needs it most.

  • @enormous_bruh_moment said:

    Arguably, so you can choose not to use it on your first hook, saving it for your 2nd rescue just in case that's when you/your team really needs it most.

    They can just make it "Press the ability button to use it" and give a 1 second window for the choice.

  • @Junylar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2617019#Comment_2617019

    They can just make it "Press the ability button to use it" and give a 1 second window for the choice.

    That’s a good idea.

  • I don't necessarily have a problem with the DS skill check, but I wouldn't care too much if it were removed either.

    I do remember a killer match I had one time though where a nea who clicked her flashlight at me all game proceeded to let me down her in the exit gate instead of running out because she had DS and just wanted the last laugh.

    Except I got the last laugh because she then proceeded to miss her DS.

  • @UnknownKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615352#Comment_2615352

    Those arent skillchecks they are "Are you there?" system.

    The only one I consider skillcheck is the one from overcharge that you can actually fail or not.The others skillchecks are 99% sure you hit it.

    I had friends try out DbD, and they struggled to land skill checks.

    We were in a party with voice comms, so I'm pretty sure they were there... (and getting tunneled. If only I could recommend Decisive Strike to them)

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615837#Comment_2615837

    Yeah either that or re-introduce that one (and very short lived) concept they tested with DS having an enormous skill check (almost the full size of the entire 'skill' check bar).

    98A03F8F-73E9-4932-9BD7-1632D56F3D89.png

    Ah I see what you mean

  • You know, back in the day, I would have been against this idea...

    But now that DS is legitimately an anti-tunnel perk, I'd be fine with a guaranteed DS if they manage to get it off, no skill check needed.

  • @DarKaron said:

    You know, back in the day, I would have been against this idea...

    But now that DS is legitimately an anti-tunnel perk, I'd be fine with a guaranteed DS if they manage to get it off, no skill check needed.

    I would be down with it if it was genuinely an anti tunnel perk and not a stun on a timer.

  • The skill check is def unnecessary, and DS still isn't truly anti-tunnel. In most circumstances, it's more of a chase extender, assuming you meet all of the prerequisites to use it. Ime and what I see with other players is that the chase resumes, and the person only delayed the inevitable after using DS.

    The skill check should be more prominent; I know on PS4, it can be hard to hit if the game stutters during that precise moment. I also think permanently deactivating DS if you've failed the skill check is harsh.

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2616017#Comment_2616017

    I had friends try out DbD, and they struggled to land skill checks.

    We were in a party with voice comms, so I'm pretty sure they were there... (and getting tunneled. If only I could recommend Decisive Strike to them)

    When u try game is okay let him get experience and lets see if he fails em.

  • I'm not trying to purposely anger those who use Decisive Strike but, DS is the biggest baby perk this game has. The amount of survivors I see thinking that their top ######### and the best survivor main there ever because they hit one, simple skill check to stun me is baffling.

    It's just one skill check, its really not that much. If you can't hit skill checks than dont use DS. If you don't like tunneling, than too bad. This game sometimes encourages tunneling cuz it's an actual viable strategy

    But y'know, me as a Pyramid Head main I dont need to worry about such perks.

  • @Gyro said:

    I'm not trying to purposely anger those who use Decisive Strike but, DS is the biggest baby perk this game has. The amount of survivors I see thinking that their top ######### and the best survivor main there ever because they hit one, simple skill check to stun me is baffling.

    It's just one skill check, its really not that much. If you can't hit skill checks than dont use DS. If you don't like tunneling, than too bad. This game sometimes encourages tunneling cuz it's an actual viable strategy

    But y'know, me as a Pyramid Head main I dont need to worry about such perks.

    If it's a baby perk that you don't have to worry about because you're Pyramid Head, then why are you against this qol change that's not gonna affect high level players but will help casual and console players?

  • I'm pretty sure it's there so you can save it for later.

  • I'm glad to see more people agree that the check is unnecessary. I made an identical thread awhile back, but it wasn't as popular.

    At the very least, the size should be increased which should take no time at all to change but...

  • Hey that's awesome you found that screenshot. I was trying to find it myself but couldn't find anything. I had a quick skim through past developer streams but didn't find where they talked about it. It'd be interesting to watch that stream back.

    If I remember correctly, back then the concept of DS having this big of a skill check was very poorly taken (probably by me too). Do you have a link?

  • That's a really good idea. On Ormond map on Nintendo Switch you can forget to hit that skill check.

  • I’d rather them let me use the perk twice and keeping the skill check.

  • The design of it is weird now that I think about it. "You missed the skill check? I guess you aren't actually being tunneled then, my bad."

  • I play mostly killer but even I agree on this part, even on the expense that such change would hurt me more than help. It just does not make any sense to have the skill check for a perk that you sacrifice a perk slot for.

    You brought it for a single time use to escape the tunneling killer's grasp, so why even have a fail option. No other perk in the game has such thing for crying out loud.

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    So killers can tunnel console players easier Jolt

    Jolt

  • Just don't be the only person I see when I come back to the hook. Well, if you'd ever see me coming to the hook which you won't because I don't play DBD anymore.

  • @eleventbh said:

    The design of it is weird now that I think about it. "You missed the skill check? I guess you aren't actually being tunneled then, my bad."

    I guess you actually need to git gut you mean? Tons of killer perks have conditions why that perk cant have it

    Tunneling and camping is okay according devs.

  • @UnknownKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2619775#Comment_2619775

    I guess you actually need to git gut you mean? Tons of killer perks have conditions why that perk cant have it

    Tunneling and camping is okay according devs.

    Tons of killer perks have conditions why that perk cant have it

    Because I've never had a problem with any killer perk where the poor console performance makes it unusable. The closest we get is Sloppy Butcher for causing frame drops, but that still screws survivors more than killers.

  • Ds isnt going to ever not have a skill check. Better save your tears for the pillow noobs

  • I mean.. you said it yourself, right? It's considerably the most powerful anti-tunnel survivor perk.. so why should it NOT have some form of cost to activate?

  • I will also say that as a survivor, hitting the skill check feels engaging--like I'm actually stabbing someone! Between automatic escapes and tricking myself into thinking I'm more skilled than I am, I'll stick with the self-delusion, thank-you-very-much!


    Please don't take my shoulder-stabbing simulator away...

  • @Blue_Archer33 said:

    I mean.. you said it yourself, right? It's considerably the most powerful anti-tunnel survivor perk.. so why should it NOT have some form of cost to activate?

    Because it's stupid. Whether you get to use the perk (that you equipped) or not should not ride on a stuttery skill check. You brought the perk, you get picked up before 60 seconds after unhook without touching gens or totems, you earned it. Where's the skill check for Pop or for NOED? We don't have one, because we already equipped the perks and met their requirements, and any extra steps would be stupid.

  • @CryptFriend said:

    I will also say that as a survivor, hitting the skill check feels engaging--like I'm actually stabbing someone! Between automatic escapes and tricking myself into thinking I'm more skilled than I am, I'll stick with the self-delusion, thank-you-very-much!

    Please don't take my shoulder-stabbing simulator away...

    You're THAT engaged in the game? Really? I guess we should all start playing that way, flying back in our seats when we get pallet stunned or covering our eyes when we get blinded. That's definitely what the game should be balanced around.

  • @ZephanUnbound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2615462#Comment_2615462

    It only really makes the game worse if you are a killer that tunnels. I never tunnel personally, I always go after the survivor that freed from the hook, rather than the one that was just on the hook. If the just freed survivor runs from the hook right at me I will just slug them, gives the match some slowdown as other survivors run to heal them.

    Tunneling is NOT a tactic that should be shunned and punished. If a killer wants to tunnel off hook that’s their decision - just like survivors have the right to complete gens as fast as possible. You can prevent the tunnel by having someone with BT go for the save, or running DS of course.

    That being said, DS should NOT have a skill check. It’s a pretty generous skill check size already for a strong perk. New players should learn to hit the skill check - coddling them won’t make them better. And if the issue is because of last gen causing delays then that’s a problem BHVR needs to fix with the GAME, not the perk.

1 2 3