Why does DS need a skill check?

This is gonna ruffle some feathers, even though it shouldn't. DS is still one of the most powerful survivor perks in the game. It's anti-tunnel and then some. But even in its heyday, I always felt it shouldn't have a skill check.

Pretty often someone will say, "Oh, missed my skill check." basically allowing the killer to tunnel them as opposed to not, because that skill check decides everything. Why is it even there to miss? It's not like gens or healing where it's like, "Hey, maybe these key actions should have some skill in them, instead of just holding a button down."

And that's the rebuttal I'm anticipating. "That's just taking the skill out of it." But I always have this to say: You're talking about skill in a place where there basically is none. It's not skill to tunnel or be tunneled. So why do survivors deserve to get tunneled because they missed one skill check, when they've already equipped the anti-tunnel perk that's supposed to work?

This kind of opens up a discussion in the random assigning of skill checks to some things but not to others. Sabotaging doesn't take skill checks, and neither does totem cleansing/blessing, doing a Freddy clock, waking someone else up, cleaning at a Plague fountain, escaping a trap, breaking Pinhead's or Deathslinger's chains, getting Victor off, and so much more. But glyphs, Pig boxes, Demogorgon portal closing, snapping out madness, and other actions do? What dictates it all?

I know that if DS had no skill check it COULD hurt killer players including myself, because there's never gonna be that chance of survivors missing their DS, but I don't think they should be able to miss it in the first place. It's like a survivor needing to hit a skill check to use Borrowed Time, or a killer needing a skill check for Pop. It's just not necessary. And with so few changes for survivors these days being actual qol changes instead of straight-up buffs, I think this would be a nice change of pace.

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @Rizzo said:

    I'm going to drop this code for a Steve's outfit just like DS makes the killer drop you: 06499f1a-c038-41b0-94e4-6d6a3f0bddaa

    That was buttery smooth

  • I agree it should be a hit to use not hit the check. Sometimes It would be better to wait a bit before doing it and with the pick and drop to avoid it DS has become less reliable.

  • @Thrax said:

    I agree it should be a hit to use not hit the check. Sometimes It would be better to wait a bit before doing it and with the pick and drop to avoid it DS has become less reliable.

    It's completely unreliable. Has been for years now. The DS activates before you're even allowed to drop the survivor, so dribbling to play around DS isn't a thing anymore. And even if it was, dropping these days gives the survivors way too much wiggle progress each time.

  • @UnknownKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2619775#Comment_2619775

    I guess you actually need to git gut you mean? Tons of killer perks have conditions why that perk cant have it

    Tunneling and camping is okay according devs.

    But the devs also want tunneling and camping to have counterplay, hence BT and DS's rework, as well as perks like Babysitter or whatever it's called now. And DS with it's nerf has a lot of conditions already. I'm not saying it isn't a strong perk, but it has a purpose to fulfill.

    Also, skill checks aren't hard to hit unless you have lag, and you know how badly optimized this game is for some consoles. That isn't really a matter of getting good.

1 2 3 ›