Did they change their mind on giving out event exclusives?

Was wondering since I got the hound mask and davids jacket when I didn't have them before. Is this just a bug?

Comments

  • The new Hex: Ruin isn't that bad. Killers REFUSED TO ADAPT. I also wasn't playing this game 3 years ago, so being able to access these skins doesn't sound like that bad of an issue.

    I think that there are more pressing issues within the game that should be addressed such as "strategies/tactics" within this game given a free pass by the devs where they would be bannable in any other game. Or the fact that Mori's are just a free de-pip session for everyone involved. Even the inconsistencies between different perks should be looked at before we concern ourselves about in-game character sprites.

  • @Cabbage said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377220#Comment_1377220

    I mean it went against what a lot of players wanted. I’m not saying whether or not it was bad or good for the game.

    No, it went against what some vocal people on these forums and Reddit wanted. A lot of people here tend to mistake "the Dead by Daylight forum community" for "the Dead by Daylight player base." There are a few hundred of us here, at most. The Steam client alone peaked at 69,480 players inside of the past 30 days, and this doesn't even count other platforms.

    We are not representative of the DBD player base as a whole. The fact that we are here, and have taken the time to register on these forums for this specific game so that we can talk to others about it makes us very hardcore outliers, and that does not represent a normal play experience or thought pattern.

    Also: I would absolutely believe, sight unseen, that their data has long been telling them Hex: Ruin had a MASSIVE effect on win rates, coming down to whether the totem got cleansed or not. Their only mistake here was not changing it sooner. And, the average player is going to go "cool, some free cosmetics!" Most of them probably don't know or care where they came from originally, and would react with a "huh cool" if you told them.

  • @Rydog said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377228#Comment_1377228

    No, it went against what some vocal people on these forums and Reddit wanted. A lot of people here tend to mistake "the Dead by Daylight forum community" for "the Dead by Daylight player base." There are a few hundred of us here, at most. The Steam client alone peaked at 69,480 players inside of the past 30 days, and this doesn't even count other platforms.

    We are not representative of the DBD player base as a whole. The fact that we are here, and have taken the time to register on these forums for this specific game so that we can talk to others about it makes us very hardcore outliers, and that does not represent a normal play experience or thought pattern.

    Also: I would absolutely believe, sight unseen, that their data has long been telling them Hex: Ruin had a MASSIVE effect on win rates, coming down to whether the totem got cleansed or not. Their only mistake here was not changing it sooner. And, the average player is going to go "cool, some free cosmetics!" Most of them probably don't know or care where they came from originally, and would react with a "huh cool" if you told them.

    Who even USES those cosmetics, tho?

    Here's a overview of my reaction to the last wave of free cosmetics: Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, Ugly, That'll get me spotted in two seconds, Ugly,Ugly, Oh hey that Donkey Jacket looks alright.

  • @Speshul_Kitten said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377225#Comment_1377225

    the point was you had to be there to earn the cosmetics as the devs stated they were obtainable ONLY during the event.

    Yes because exclusives have worked out so well for them so far, what with giving exclusive cosmetics out at RL events that you could only earn at those RL events. Oh what's that? People are selling the codes for them for hundreds or thousands of dollars online? Oh what's that? Some people are getting scammed because of this? Yes, "exclusives" sure are great and work out so well and never backfire.

    Some people who earned their exclusive Legacy don't have it anymore because of loss of progress and they can't ever get it back because BHVR are stubborn (I wasn't one of them, and I luckily haven't ever suffered loss of progress, but that's the problem with having exclusive items and ######### servers). But exclusives are a good idea.

  • @Orion said:

    Why does anyone care? You still did what you did, this doesn't change that. If I have a 1000 € salary and someone else gets 1000 € as a lottery prize, is my money suddenly worth less? Is my effort now useless because someone else got the same thing in an easier way?

    Bad comparison. It's not just ONE PERSON but the entire community who gets it for free. Imagine you work you ass off and get 10000 bucks. Imagine suddenly everyone gets 10000 for free. I would be pissed about that because I don't get another 10000 bucks while I worked my ass off.

    At least make your examples logical correctly.

  • Meh.

    Honestly it's the natural conclusion to Peanits' statement on why they released these event cosmetics, which was more or less 'we didn't want to disservice the long time players who did earn the outfits and lost them due to bugs and we couldn't find a way to reliably give them all their cosmetics back besides this'.

    Personally though I'd say no.

    It's a show of thanks from the devs to the people who really loved and supported their game back when it was even more busted than it is now. That shouldn't just be given away for free to every Jane Schmoe that buys the game.

    But then I also don't get why it's so impossible to give people back their Legacy when they have steam achievements, videos, screenshots, save files, or livestream VODs showing them with Legacy cosmetics.

  • Wait are they giving people legacy, I read the news board but i didn’t understand it . So are people going to be able to get legacy again?

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376750#Comment_1376750

    It is entirely possible for Devs to look at player's prestige achievement dates.

    • Click on their profile, click on DBD achievements and see how many times the player prestiged before 24th November 2016.
    • IF they have not prestiged before the cut off date, do nothing.

    IF they have:

    • Check (with their new 'secure' system) whether the player has legacy cosmetics in their inventory, or not.
    • IF they do have legacy cosmetics, do nothing.
    • ELSE give the player the choice of legacy cosmetics for any ONE character depending on how many times they prestiged. THAT'S IT.

    It's such a simple compromise - it's infuriating.

    I don't think you can see how often someone prestiged, once the achievement is achieved it has his date set and just keeps counting without making different time stamps.

    But anyway, at least one piece should be the bare minimum

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376781#Comment_1376781

    I don't think you can see how often someone prestiged, once the achievement is achieved it has his date set and just keeps counting without making different time stamps.

    But anyway, at least one piece should be the bare minimum

    You can see the prestige 1, 2 and 3 achievement dates on steam. So players could be refunded 1/2/3 legacy cosmetics on ONE character based off the achievements.

  • @LALYTHIA said:

    I dont get why they would "unlock" old event cosmetics to people who weren't there for those events. No one who was there should get those cosmetics. They should release brand new event cosmetics for every event. And people newer to the game, for whatever reason, can get their exclusive skins...that people two years from now won't have either. If you're just going to eventually give away all of the exclusive event skins to everyone...######### is the point of even participating in the event beyond normal game play? This is a stupid decision.

    That's what they literally did for the first Anni event. That Meg hoodie with the pink jersey? 1st Anni. Yellow Nea top? First Anni. Rose weapon for Nurse? First Anni. People earned it FOR EVERYONE. Even the people who didn't own the game yet or couldn't play during the event.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    Looks like I found the topic of my next video....

    Difference is you pay for the pass, all these events were free, all you had to do was buy or own the game. And they're going to eventually release all of the cosmetics (unsure of the charms) to the store for sale anyway. Its' exclusivity is that you get to own the pass items for a while before other players can buy them. Either way, you're forking out cash.

  • Nah, I can understand people being upset newer players are getting the rewards they worked for. Doesn't mean I think we should be given legacy, but they probably shouldn't have given out the event cosmetics either.

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377248#Comment_1377248

    Yes because exclusives have worked out so well for them so far, what with giving exclusive cosmetics out at RL events that you could only earn at those RL events. Oh what's that? People are selling the codes for them for hundreds or thousands of dollars online? Oh what's that? Some people are getting scammed because of this? Yes, exclusives sure are great.

    you seem to not understand that codes for these Howling Ground cosmetics are not for sale as code cards such as RL events do NOT exist in the first place. Therefore, these should have remained exclusive to those who earned them.

  • Haven't you seen this coming with rhetoric attached to the ruin nerf? They care mostly about new players that are yet to spend the money not those that already did that.

  • @RoMainPuppy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376828#Comment_1376828

    That's what they literally did for the first Anni event. That Meg hoodie with the pink jersey? 1st Anni. Yellow Nea top? First Anni. Rose weapon for Nurse? First Anni. People earned it FOR EVERYONE. Even the people who didn't own the game yet or couldn't play during the event.

    I think it takes away their significance and any reason to actually try and earn them. Pretty sad.

  • This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard about this game since I played from 2016.

    Because you cannot fix the issue of event cosmetics, so you just gave away to everyone

    But because you cannot fix the issue of legacy cosmetics, so you just ignore the request from the people who suffer this loss and call for their understanding.

    TBH, I dont see any point that this serves "best interest of community". Anyone with capable mind would agree these words are just nonsense.

    It is more like serving the "best interest of spaghetti code"

  • @Orion said:

    Why does anyone care? You still did what you did, this doesn't change that. If I have a 1000 € salary and someone else gets 1000 € as a lottery prize, is my money suddenly worth less? Is my effort now useless because someone else got the same thing in an easier way?

    It is not "someone else" get a lottery prize, but "everyone else" get a lottery prize.

    You work hard and get 1000 bucks, and by the end of the day, the boss says that any person who does not work will also get 1000 bucks. I hope you still feel okay with working in such a place

  • Everyone against giving the cosmetics to people that didn't play the event to get a free cosmetic - you are also against them doing sales/lowering price of the full game/DLC/cosmetics(like Lisa) since people bought those first at full price, right? I mean, it's not fair someone paid full price for any of those when they first came out and later on others get them for less/free. If you're that upset over a free cosmetic you must get more upset whenever those price drops happen since that's real money, right?

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    And now they have an excuse not to give us a Summer Event.

    Awesome.

    I hate that you're almost certainly right. I just wanted to see the BBQ hooks and drinks machines on the gens :(

  • @ALostPuppy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376725#Comment_1376725

    I hate that you're almost certainly right. I just wanted to see the BBQ hooks and drinks machines on the gens :(

    Same, I miss Frosty Margaritas. =/

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376618#Comment_1376618

    Bad comparison. It's not just ONE PERSON but the entire community who gets it for free. Imagine you work you ass off and get 10000 bucks. Imagine suddenly everyone gets 10000 for free. I would be pissed about that because I don't get another 10000 bucks while I worked my ass off.

    At least make your examples logical correctly.

    I wouldn't. By the time people get that 10k for free, I've already had that 10k for a while.

  • @nicknack said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1376743#Comment_1376743

    as far as i know they are giving us an event this assumption is based off a tweet from leaks by daylight on twitter who said that there will be an in game event with crowns that when you escape or kill everyone with a crown you get it as a cosmetic. others on the forums have also seen people using the crowns but apologies if im wrong we will found out tomorrow.

    Sorry, let me rephrase that.

    Summer Event.

  • @orpheusbr said:

    BHVR,

    it's really painful to see how you neglect your old players.

    I started to play DBD in 2018 and really enjoyed to have owned the skins from the Summer BBQ Event. Unfortunately, with this new message about what you guys did with the exclusive event skins of 2018 I simply cannot absorb it quietly...

    This message that you do "the community's best interests" it's so bad for old players that seems you neglect and ignore us. Why should this be "the community's best interests"? It doesn't make sense to give free these event cosmetics for everyone and I didn't even talk about legacy skins that are a heavier problem for those who played the game in 2016!

    It just makes me feel that, in the future, the next event's skins that will be released in this game will be available for free soon for everyone without any kind of participation and dedication of your players.

    Truly disappointed and unmotivated with future events.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/K0F81X6VFX1G/image.png

    Well it's like when everyone lost legacy they never gave them back which is b.s. to them and event cosmetics should just be exclusive event cosmetics to that event like this tome I'm not getting the cosmetics because I'm barely lvl 20 to 30

  • I've lost 2 legacy 3 survivors, one legacy 2 survivor and a legacy 1 killer. I've emailed them with proof of legacy and got jack. Still don't have it

  • As soon as I opened the game and was greeted with "We have made the decision to unlock the following cosmetics..." I felt INSTANT disgust and betrayal. You said "We have heard the community and understand that you worked for these, so we won't give them out for free" ######### HAPPENED TO THAT BHVR!?!?!? What happened to "understanding"!?!?!

    Once again BHVR is disregarding the older players and is just holding the hands of the newer ones. I respected BHVR after they made the decision to LISTEN TO THEIR COMMUNITY and not give out the cosmetics people worked for. Welp, pretty good job so far BHVR, lying to the faces of the community you claim to have done this for in best interest.

    You don't even deserve a slow golf clap.

  • @SpyMature said:

    It's [BAD WORD] ...[ahem].... stupid.

    "community's best interest" my [BAD WORD]

    You've already tried to do this a while ago and the community said "no". Here we go again.

    By that logic you're implying being the reason to give Event cosmetic to everyone, you should also give out Legacy cosmetic to everyone because some people lost them, why are not doing that? Oh, is it because it's gonna anger the people who grinded for them? Then why does the same not apply here? Especially with the buggy mess that was Howling Grounds event.

    This logic is too much for the devs to handle. I feel that they don’t want to enrage their PC playerbase, the could care less about console players.

  • Peanits explained why in the other post. If you don't agree with it, then I would voice your opinion there.

  • My opinion is that they should not give away the old legacy skins it was a tough grind for those with the old bloodwebs. Though many of us have lost ours in that safe file stuff it would be nice if they got that stuff back but I get why it's such a touchy subject and hard for some to prove they had it besides just the achievement link. An alternative might be to just toss them out to those that had the game or achievements before the cutoff but that could be a real pain as well and a lot of extra work so again I get why they don't want to give them back out.

  • @Seiko300 said:

    We had these cosmetics for a full 2 years before they made this decision and these cosmetics weren't and still aren't even that especially good or special, unlike say, the reoccurring hallowed blight event cosmetics.

    I myself didn't even participate in the Scorching Summer BBQ and to date in my opinion it was one of the worst events they ever, it was one of the first events to cement the idea that all you need for an event are reskins of generators to fix, different hooks, some subpar rewards and blamo, you've got yourself an "event". No thanks, that's half-assed, slightly different than normal gameplay is all that is.

    The only things that probably made the howling grounds event better, was because we were actually celebrating a legit holiday at the time so the atmosphere felt reasonably different, and the cosmetic rewards weren't as bad. Realistically these two events are about on the same level though, so to me, I could care less. The Howling Grounds and Scorching Summer BBQ events were both minor ones, and not very good ones at that in the grand scheme of things.

    Do you not understand why people are upset? It's not the fact they "Look good" It's the fact that we WORKED for them, WE grinded. But no, BHVR has to hold the hands of the new players because "they weren't there".

  • Yeah I was a little sad too, I didn't care about the game as much to grind for the David and Huntress cosmetic, but I worked hard earning the BBQ items, and felt special when using em.

    oh well, it's their decision ultimately and all it gets rid of is bragging rights tbh.

  • It sucks to have put time and work into earning something, being proud of it being exclusive & knowing you have it, only for it to be given out for free. Kind of a slap in the face.

    Alas, the decision has been made. All we can do is hope that in the future, they will be more organized and not make this mistake again.

  • No, I don't think they should give legacy away for free.

    If they want to give it away I think there should be a system equivalent to the grind you had to endure to get them normally. For instance, prestiging like 10 or more times or having an option to change the bloodweb to the old version to experience the legacy grind.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    Looks like I found the topic of my next video....

    Aren't the charms the only "exclusive" Rift items? Pretty sure everything else will come to the store to purchase later.

  • @SpaceCoconut said:

    Looks like I found the topic of my next video....

    They can’t because they’re a source of income. Howling Ground cosmetics are a different story..

  • @LALYTHIA said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377302#Comment_1377302

    I think it takes away their significance and any reason to actually try and earn them. Pretty sad.

    Hey I'm just saying, it's not always been as black and white as everyone's making it.

  • From my understanding of it, some people had lost their legacy and event items for no reason in an update, to those who are asking why they would just give it out.

    I'd like to know, first of all, how this happened to begin with and have they fixed it so that it doesn't. They needed to have some sort of system in place that would be able to tell if you had the item or not so you wouldn't have to prove to them that you owned something, it'd be in their data and you'd be given your ######### back.

    Love the hypocrisy in them saying that they weren't going to give out legacy because it means too much to those that earned it. Not that I ultimately care that much, but Kate's songbird top and the propain hammer meant a lot to me because it was my first event in the game and I worked so hard not knowing how to play at the time to get it, I was proud in the effort I made to achieve it. Now it was just given away as a consolation for them not having their ######### together and being able to give things back to people who should have never lost those things in the first place.

  • notice How the devs will merge these post but not others that are similar?

    It’s because they don’t care enough to respond, but enough to want the post to die down.

  • You had to grind to get some of these things? I already had a few of them and I don't even remember how I got them. Except for the Hallowed Blight ones.

  • if legacy ever were rerelease i never wear them.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377294#Comment_1377294

    You can see the prestige 1, 2 and 3 achievement dates on steam. So players could be refunded 1/2/3 legacy cosmetics on ONE character based off the achievements.

    Oh yeah exactly, I misunderstood you :D

    Yeah exactly what I was saying, at least refund one piece of cosmetic according to achievements. If you ask ME: if someone lost his legacy and had legit achievement before deadline he should get more. For example: lost legacy and legit prestige 1 achievement -> he gets legacy 1 on every character as apology for waiting 3+ years for a refund

  • Do you realize most of you are complaining because now you will be less "exclusive"? What's the problem with someone else having it too? You will probably get free stuff as well.. what's up with this "if it's free for me it's good, if it's free for someone else I whine about it" attitude? It sounds like a bunch of entitled kids. You complain about the game charging you for cosmetics, you complain when they're free.. when do you not complain?

    I have all the event cosmetics that were released since I started playing. I could give 2 dmns about people now getting them for free... I never really paid for them either... I got them as a bonus for playing the game daily... like I do when there's no free bonus anway. Do you even use those cosmetics anyway? lol... cmon, they are from events from 2 years ago... stop being greedy.

  • @Molotov said:

    I've lost 2 legacy 3 survivors, one legacy 2 survivor and a legacy 1 killer. I've emailed them with proof of legacy and got jack. Still don't have it

    Phew that's 9 legacy pieces! Damn son, that was hell of grindy. Do you roughly remember how long it took you to prestige so much back then? Probably 2 months straight playing everyday 5+ hrs?

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377276#Comment_1377276

    I wouldn't. By the time people get that 10k for free, I've already had that 10k for a while.

    And? I would rather not work and get it for free than work my butt off just to earn it a bit earlier than the rest.

  • @Hex_Stalk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377152#Comment_1377152

    Do you not understand why people are upset? It's not the fact they "Look good" It's the fact that we WORKED for them, WE grinded. But no, BHVR has to hold the hands of the new players because "they weren't there".

    Hey, I think you've missed the point that I'M also part of that "we". I don't mind that the new players get to enjoy the stuff that we got a long time ago. If anything it's kind of like hand-me-downs, "we earned this and it was super cool at the time, but y'know what you can have it now, there are better things that we have that we'd rather use now"

    Yeah, I get that we grinded for it. But we grinded for it almost 2 years ago, there's no reason to keep hoarding all this stuff for ourselves when we've already been earning other cosmetics and cool stuff along the way. Let the new guys have access to some more customization options, the game is grindy enough as it is.

  • @DwightOP said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1377372#Comment_1377372

    Phew that's 9 legacy pieces! Damn son, that was hell of grindy. Do you roughly remember how long it took you to prestige so much back then? Probably 2 months straight playing everyday 5+ hrs?

    I can't remember, I just played a lot with friends after work. I made a post about this, https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/164372/what-about-legacy#latest

  • Don't give out the event cosmetics to EEEEEEVERYONE.

    I understand that people lost it, and you guys just want to give them a way to get it back. But that's not the right approach. There is a better way.

    Give these cosmetics only to people who had purchased dbd and played at least one match before/during the event. Everyone else who bought the game after the event has absoluty no right to get these cosmetics.

    You are currently pissing off a lot of people and noone is going to take your event cosmetics serious anymore.

    Why would someone play during an event when everyone is going full sweat and extra toxic + long lobby Qs if he can just relax and get it for free later on? Stupid. Just stupid.

    My idea isn't ideal but certainly better than what you guys are planning to do.

  • What event cosmetics?

  • I’m just as confused

    @Respectfulnancymain said:

    What event cosmetics?

    I’m just as confused😒.

  • Just want to offer this as a space for everybody to relay their reactions to the latest update/news (posted today?)


    "We have made a decision to unlock the following cosmetics for all players on PC & Console.

    • The Huntress: Hound Mask (Howling Grounds)
    • David King: Untamed Donkey Jacket (Howling Grounds)
    • Kate: Free Song Bird Slip Dress (Scorching Summer BBQ)
    • The Hillbilly: Pro-Pain Hammer (Scorching Summer BBQ)

    While we do understand that some players may feel disappointed by having us award these items to people who may not have taken part in these events, we believe that we do this in the community's best interests.

    To put it simply: there is no way for us to verify who earned these items legitimately, as they weren't stored in the same way we currently store items. Since then, we have reworked our storage system and item tracking and made sure that if a similar issue occurs, we should be able to easily restore items.

    LEGACY ITEMS

    The difference between the Legacy items and the event items is that Legacy was earned before a major rework of the Bloodweb system. To award Legacy to the rest of the community would severely alienate and undermine that part of the community that has been with us since 2016.

    We are all too aware that users who earned Legacy and suffered a loss of progress will be incredibly disappointed with this news. To those users: we offer our deepest apologies and hope you understand why this decision has been made.

  • @Peanits said:

    It's not a matter of prioritizing newer players over older players, it's actually quite the opposite. Back then, the way event cosmetics were stored were much less secure than recent events, and it made them susceptible to loss of progress (the reason why we needed to return them to people in the first place). We originally decided to return them only to the people who had earned them in specifically to not alienate long time players who had worked for them. Despite our best efforts, there were people missing who should have received them and didn't: The data we had at the time was not robust enough to catch everyone.

    So in short, some of the people who did work for and earn them didn't receive their cosmetics back, and there was nothing we can do for them. Those long time players were out of luck. The idea of not alienating long time players ended up alienating those long time players.

    It's unfortunate, yes, but leaving those people behind is not an option. This is the fairest way we can handle the situation. This shouldn't be a problem for future events as the way we store rewards now is much more secure.

    Just as a tip: why don't you put THAT explanation into the ingame news? The current info reads more like "we believe this is best for community" without an explanation and "legacy is something different" without deeper explanation.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7