A discussion about D-Strike - Do you like the change?
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/48381/decisive-strike-upcoming-changes#latest
Here's the blogpost - you can't comment on it so I thought I'd shoot it on over here.
What are your thoughts? I honestly like it and it's more of an anti-tunnel perk now which is what I think most people wanted it to to be.

and for those of you who said it wouldn't happen I'm more interested in your thoughts on it.
Comments
I think the change is brilliant. It promotes counter play on both sides, and changes obsession perks dynamically through the match. It shouldn't be a get out of jail free card with no effort or downsides on the survivors' end. Plus, it punishes tunnelling which is always nice.
My gripe is with how the obsession mechanic would work if the obsession's already dead and something like dying light is active: would the dead obsession be replaced with the latest survivor to use decisive strike?
To those of you complaining about this incentivising slugging, ask yourselves: do you really think a killer's gonna sit there and slug you, and wait for the timer to end after 60 seconds? That's 60 seconds of not doing anything, and if the killer does slug you and leave you've always got the option to crawl to safety and get healed. Plus, you're not gonna be dribbled as it activates during the pick-up animation.
The perk is now less annoying, so that's good.
At least we got something.
If "Decisive Strike" gets a nerf. "No One Escape Death" should too.
That my honest opinion.
That's pretty cool so I don't even need to be on the shoulder yet. So killer can't immediately pick someone up by hook and spam the hook button to ignore ds. Guess that really does get rid of dribbling too.
Yeah, this is my only worry. It would be a bit unpleasant if DL just suddenly became useless after someone hit you. You'd essentially have to tunnel everyone in a row to have it have anything but a negative effect, and what's the point then?
Very good change, just an unfortunate interaction with another perk if that's not locked down.
What's with all these new accounts created to comment on this topic?
I actually feel good about using it now, I don't have to feel like an ######### but instead defend myself from ######### players which is a real problem. Anyone know when this happens?
Well well well.....
I have mixed thoughts. I've thought about it and to be fair It has its pros and cons.
This is how I view it from a killers perspective...
+ No longer can the killer get shafted on the first hook. This was vital as the first hook is the most important for the killer.
+ No more being afraid to carry a survivor to the basement.
+ Max stun time is down to 3 seconds
- It can't be dribbled anymore and the skill check area is larger. It's almost guaranteed to happen now if the requirements are met. So you potentially have 4 instant decisive strikes waiting to happen. This can be a problem if you wish to punish an altruistic team who are rushing unhooks to try and eat into the killers momentum. It also guarantees an escape out of the basement.
- If someone is unhooked next to the exit gates and you down them, you can't pick them up for 60 seconds. They are guaranteed a free escape which was the main problem with DS before. Theoretically this could also be done with Deliverance and the hatch, though that would require specific timing (unhooking as the second to last survivor is put on death hook, meaning if you find the hatch before 60 seconds the killer can't do anything). The deliverance situation is going to be very niche though so likely not an issue, however the unhook near exit gates could still be very problematic.
- Dying Light is exploitable now. You can 2 hook someone, someone else pulls off a DS and becomes the obsession and suddenly you're starting from scratch. (More on this below)
Now to view it from a survivors perspective.
+ Finally we have an answer to tunneling/camping. If the killer circles the hook to tunnel you can easily get a free escape
+ Dying Light is nerfed. Lets be honest it's a #########, toxic perk. Now if you get tunnel there is a chance someone else could become the obsession and the killer might switch focus.
I think overall I would be for these changes IF it couldn't be activated when the exits were open. It once again has the potential to be a free escape. Rancor may help with the obsession but if the person hasn't used DS yet then they won't be the obsession so you won't be able to kill them. On top of that I feel like 60 seconds is overkill. If the killer is going to tunnel they're going to do it long before that. I feel like 20/30/40 seconds would be better. That way it still counters tunneling but doesn't punish the killer for as long. Killers normally tunnel and hit the survivor within 20 seconds or so, depending on how far they were from the hook in the first place.
Overrall though I'm very eager to try it out. What we had before was a nightmare so lets see how this goes. I have to admit, survivors needed some tunnel protection. We will see if this is overkill or not though.
Some questions for the developers...
1) Does Enduring still shorten the stun duration?
2) How does this affect Rancor? say I use Rancor to kill the obsession, then someone pulls DS on me after, can I down them and kill them too now that they're the new obsession? or is Rancor a 1 time use?
I mean, before you had a shorter overall cooldown for attacks too. It's been soft nerfed already.
you know you just need to break the dull totems right?
and if finding them is too hard for you just use the perk small game.
Literally everyone has been dying to see this lol. DS was THAT controversial among the community.
1) If a Survivor doesn't attempt the Skill Check, does that disable DS, or can they save it for their last hook?
2) How would it interact with Dying Light?
Do you get to kill the new obsession and double the debut or does the debut gonaway till you kill the NEW obsession?
What about things like Play With Your Food? Or ones that stack when you hit yournibsession? Do the stacks go away when a new survivor becomes the obsession, or do they stay and you can get even more stacks?
Yeah and I've asked about Rancor too, does it have the potential to kill multiple survivors?
These are good questions. If rancor works multiple I might bring that perk a lot more often.
Judith's Journal + Tombstone Piece (or I guess Judith's Tombstone).
If someone uses Decisive Strike, they become the Obsession. Then Myers gets super accelerated stalking from Judith's Journal, presumably hits EW3 Myers quickly, and goes for the insta-kill.
Imagine loading into a game and NOT hearing that sound.
I think this is going to promote early game tunneling to get it out of the way. Looking at it from both sides as a survivor if I can save it till end game then it's a free escape if the gates are open pretty much. From the killer side if you want to avoid those end game escapes then you wanna tunnel early and force them to use it asap. Hit or miss it's gone so if it works the way I read it then tunneling would work way better than slug I think.
I like the changes, The only thing I don't like is the obsession changing throughout the match I can see how that would get confusing.
I quite like the change. It feels more fair for it to have prerequisites and to have a time limit, too. That way you won't have killers afraid to pick up an obsession because they may have DS and you won't get those hidden DSs throwing off your pressure.
Wait...
In some games, there is a noise at the start of the match and in others, there is none. Does it indicate that there is an obsession?
I have 1.3k hours btw...
Our Community team is currently gathering all the questions and feedback on the upcoming DS changes. We will reach out to the Designers to bring you answers shortly. (hopefully tomorrow)
I have a question.
Are you planning to create a PTB for DS change? and if you do, is it the only change we are gonna get or will there be other changes for other perks like a midchapter etc.?
I like the perk change, it counters tunneling and it forces the killer to go for someone else, by this time you go for someone again the perk will be worthless. I don't really use the perk too much except when i want to be toxic after facing so many legions, but i mean we'll just have to see how it turns out.
@Delfador The PTB will be coming before the next big update. DS will be included in it and is already planned to be released live with the next update. It won't be in testing mode like we did for Self Care in January.
I'm confused about one thing. Every time someone uses DS do they become the obsession? So more than one person could become the obsession or only the first one becomes the obsession? I'm only confused about that thing
Yes, that noise comes as the obsession rings/entity legs appear around one of the survivor portraits in the bottom left.
The fact that most people don't seem to understand that they are buffing it and pretending to nerf it is honestly flabbergasting. I hope this change doesn't go through.
Great. Now killer will be rewarded for slugging. Give them more toxic behaviour. Camping and tunneling isnt enough. Cant understand these particular changes, though it had to be reworked.
It's only a problem with Nurse and Billy mostly, but those 2 killers are their own conversation entirely.
The other killers simply aren't as effective at it and therefore don't tend to do it as much.
I think it's definitely different from other DS suggestions. Very "outside the box". I hope it has the intended result, because DS really needs to be gutted.
As killer that utterly hates old DS I think this is amazing change. It's no longer get out of jail free card and insted it's anti-tunneling perk. Now it's the killer who choses if he wants to risk focusing on 1 survivor and potentially getting hit by DS insted of beiing forced into it.
Good job devs, changes like this rekindle my love for playing DBD.
I'm like 80% okay with this.
-It will be fun to run with deliverance now, if I want to be cheeky and unhook myself with the killer nearby.
-Combats survivors biggest complaints (Camping/tunnelling)
-Gets rid of the worst kind of DS (45/40/35% wiggle DS, just so much wasted time chasing, carrying and then unexpected DS)
-Changes things up a bit with obsession perks/addons in general (Rancor giving multiple end game moris if it works like that, Bringing back a dead STBFL if the killer gets dstriked? Interaction with Judith's Journal addon)
-Makes the perk less of a "free escape/crutch perk" and way more balanced. So I'll feel way less cheap when I choose to run it now.
Kind of think with this big of a change they should just make it an activate-able ability like Dead Hard instead of a skill check. It's already got it's downsides with the time limit/having to have been unhooked and making you the obsession thing, not many will run it anymore so the skill check just seems like it's there for the heck of it.
60 seconds seems short for the unhook. Its good against the big 2 complaints, but to make it a bit more useful I'd like to see it a big longer like 90-120.
The worst part about the change is the outrage spam by everyone though
Given it's limitations, I don't think the skill check should be difficult to succeed. It is definitely a massive nerf to DS.