I need horror movie recommendations! What are some of your favorites?

Slashers, Monster movies , Sci fi horror etc some of my favorite movies are Scream 4, New Nightmare, House Of Wax, Prom Night, It, and Phenomena! Points for movies with fun chase scenes and underrated final girls and should have been final girls aka Helen Shivers...

Comments

  • In B4 moved to Off-Topic

    I wouldn't call it horror, I enjoyed the movie "The Mist". A show I liked called "The Strain" was good except for the ending, still worth the watch though.

  • @Huge_Bush said:

    In B4 moved to Off-Topic

    I wouldn't call it horror, I enjoyed the movie "The Mist". A show I liked called "The Strain" was good except for the ending, still worth the watch though.

    Thanks what Is The Strain on?

  • My Favorite is "Hereditary". Made me depressed and scared of the dark for some time.

  • @D3spair said:

    My Favorite is "Hereditary". Made me depressed and scared of the dark for some time.

    I have that one on my list!!!

  • I'm a huge Horror movies fan, But I might have different taste than you.

    Looking at your list, I wonder if you'd like "It Follows", "Ready or Not", "Light's Out"

    Others that are good but not quite your genre and if you don't mine subtitles:

    Gonjiam Haunted Asylum (South Korean- REAL creepy)

    The Wailing (slow burn, but excellent acting and hard to anticipate ending)

    Creep (no subs, its english and also amusing- great acting)

    The Girl with All the Gifts ( from UK)

  • @CluelessWanderer said:

    I'm a huge Horror movies fan, But I might have different taste than you.

    Looking at your list, I wonder if you'd like "It Follows", "Ready or Not", "Light's Out"

    Others that are good but not quite your genre and if you don't mine subtitles:

    Gonjiam Haunted Asylum (South Korean- REAL creepy)

    The Wailing (slow burn, but excellent acting and hard to anticipate ending)

    Creep (no subs, its english and also amusing- great acting)

    Thank you, I haven't seen a few of these! On my list...

  • Gremlins.

    Shaun of the Dead.

  • Unofrtunately I can't watch Babadook or Hereditary because gosh darn it Im so tired of dogs dying :(.

  • Sinister really freaky film and Ethan hawke is an interesting choice for a horror protag

  • You want some good chase scenes check out Evil Dead 2 its probably my favorite out of the Raimi films its also Ash best film

  • Just thought of a few more:

    The Invitation

    The Ritual

    The Endless

  • Attack of the killer tomatoes

  • @GuyFawx said:

    You want some good chase scenes check out Evil Dead 2 its probably my favorite out of the Raimi films its also Ash best film

    I love Ash I just started the Evil Dead franchise because of dbd they need to buff mettle of man lol

  • Event Horizon & Jacobs Ladder are pretty freaky films for those that haven't seen them.

  • Dog Soldiers. British soldiers against a pack of werewolves in a house in the forest. Amazing film that doesn't shy from the gore

  • @TatsuiChiyo said:

    Dog Soldiers. British soldiers against a pack of werewolves in a house in the forest. Amazing film that doesn't shy from the gore

    That sounds fun thank you

  • The movie "Devil", the elevator movie, I found surprisingly good. Worth a watch.

  • @ElleGreen said:

    Slashers, Monster movies , Sci fi horror etc some of my favorite movies are Scream 4, New Nightmare, House Of Wax, Prom Night, It, and Phenomena! Points for movies with fun chase scenes and underrated final girls and should have been final girls aka Helen Shivers...

    Ooh. Now were in my bailiwick.

    Movies:

    • Grave encounters
    • Below (my #1 sleeper best horror movie of all time that isn't found footage - brilliant ghost story on a WW2 submarine)
    • The Borderlands
    • Host (the new one)
    • Event Horizon
    • From Beyond
    • Hellraiser 1, 2 and 4
    • The Ring (western version)
    • The Grudge (ditto)
    • One Missed Call
    • Dark Water
    • Necronomicon
    • The Thing
    • My Bloody Valentine (original)
    • The Bay
    • Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2004)
    • Midnight Meat Train
    • The Bunker
    • Ghosts of War
    • Shadow In The Cloud
    • Dead Alive!
    • Reanimator 1 and 2
    • The Keep
    • The Changeling (the best haunted house movie ever made that isn't Poltergeist)

    Series:

    • Slasher (season 2)
    • American Horror Story (season 1, 2, 3, 6, 9)
    • The Haunting of Hill House
    • Midnight Mass (an absolute must watch)
    • Higurashi: When They Cry

    Literature

    • Jinmen
    • Fuan No Tane
    • PTSD Radio
    • Pygmalion
    • I Am A Hero

    I could go on forever.

    @TatsuiChiyo said:

    Dog Soldiers. British soldiers against a pack of werewolves in a house in the forest. Amazing film that doesn't shy from the gore

    That's a fun one! If you want something with a similar flavor, The Wilderness, The Bunker and Death Watch (Death Watch in particular is amazing).

  • Just watched The Deep House recently very eerie and unsettling. Also it takes place under water in a haunted house so it’s unique in its setting.

  • @Waterfall said:

    Just watched The Deep House recently very eerie and unsettling. Also it takes place under water in a haunted house so it’s unique in its setting.

    Ooh, haven't heard of this one. Will add it to my back-list.

  • Since you already have many good recommendations I'm gonna point out a few oldies but goodies, such as jeepers creepers, the house of rose red, John carpenter's the thing, critters, pumpkinhead and perhaps wishmaster.

  • @Chaos999 said:

    Since you already have many good recommendations I'm gonna point out a few oldies but goodies, such as jeepers creepers, the house of rose red, John carpenter's the thing, critters, pumpkinhead and perhaps wishmaster.

    Rose Red - the Stephen King miniseries? I enjoy that one too (guilty pleasure movie).

    Jeepers Creepers 1 is great, the rest are crap.

    Pumpkinhead is a classic.

    Wishmaster...the first one is fun.

    Oh, forgot The Mist.

  • Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

    Pure 80's cheesiness, you'll probably laugh more than be scared, but that can be a good thing!

  • Hmm, according to my current list on Flickchart.com my top 20 horror movies are

    1) The Shining

    2) Alien

    3) Event Horizon

    4) The Omen

    5) Shaun of the Dead

    6) Get Out

    7) 28 Days Later...

    8) Predator

    9) Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

    10) The Exorcist

    11) Aliens

    12) The Ring

    13) A Quiet Place

    14) Zombieland

    15) The Lighthouse

    16) The Wicker Man (1973)

    17) Army of Darkness

    18) Cube

    19) Arachnaphobia

    20) World War Z


    Note that this site is basically a bunch of this-or-that comparison. You just keep seeing two movie posters side by side and pick the one you like better ad infinitum. It’s kind of addictive! 🙂 The above list also isn’t too bad, I do like all those movies quite a bit. (Child’s Play and Saw are the next two on the list, of those I could maybe see Saw edging into 19 or 20?)

  • American Psycho, I think Evil Dead counts, too.

  • Pumpkin head - All movies are awesome, reminds me of Alien but alot better due to supernatural themes.

    Leprechaun - Series is pretty cool except Space movie 4 and Origins movie can be sacrificed to the Entity for eternity from being tunneled and camped.


    Can't think of anything else since its mostly known films.


    image.png image.png


  • The Shining the og one

    Changeling from 1999

    Seven, with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman

    Sixth sense

    The others

    The exorcist

    The first Evil Dead

    And about a dozen others I can't remember

  • Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

  • Alien is you're into a slower, less action packed movie.

    Aliens for more action.


    This isn't a movie but Alien: Isolation is amazing. It's like Alien but on steroids. It's a stealth game so if you don't like crouching 24/7, then maybe it isn't for you, but I'd still recommend playing it, especially on Hard difficulty

  • Original classics:

    Nosferatu

    Night of the Living dead

    The Birds

    The Shining

    80s Horror:

    Return of the Living dead

    A nightmare on elm street

    Phantasm (yes i know its 1979 close enough tho and has a 80s horror feel)

    The gate

    The blob

    Pumkinhead

    Friday the 13th

    Bad taste ( peter jacksons first film )

    Childsplay

  • @PerfectlyPink said:

    The Shining the og one

    Changeling from 1999

    Seven, with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman

    Sixth sense

    The others

    The exorcist

    The first Evil Dead

    And about a dozen others I can't remember

    Changeling is the perfect haunted house movie. So glad that it's finally getting recognition.

    If you enjoyed Seven, check out The Bone Collector.

    The Evil Dead TV series is also brilliant.

    @GuyFawx said:

    Original classics:

    Nosferatu

    Night of the Living dead

    The Birds

    The Shining

    80s Horror:

    Return of the Living dead

    A nightmare on elm street

    Phantasm (yes i know its 1979 close enough tho and has a 80s horror feel)

    The gate

    The blob

    Pumkinhead

    Friday the 13th

    Bad taste ( peter jacksons first film )

    Childsplay

    Eh, if I'm going for early Peter Jackson, Dead Alive is his best. Bad Taste is just an...odd film.

    @Tsulan said:

    Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

    Absolutely brilliant horror comedy, did the genre parody way better than Cabin In The Woods.

    For a movie that has a very similar feel/sense of humor, check out Four Lions. It's not precisely horror, but...you'll see what I mean.

    Also Hot Fuzz.

  • Phantasm

    Candyman

    The Fly

    The Shining

    IT

    Final Destination

    American Werewolf

    No Country for Old Men

    Psycho

    Silence of the Lambs

    The Cabin in the woods

    American Psycho

    Ring 0, Ringu & Ringu 2

    Sleepaway Camp

  • The Thing is probably my favorite movie of all time.

  • It's a show not a movie but Scream Queens I'm watching rn and it's genuinely iconic 💫

  • Just a few of my favs that aren’t super mainstream, as not to repeat much of what’s already been mentioned, for variety...

    Audition

    Splinter

    Cabin in the Woods

    House of the Devil

    Cabin Fever

    Long Time Dead

    Drag Me to Hell

    Hatchet

    The Thing (1982 version)

    Final Destination

    You're Next

    V.H.S.

    Evil Dead

    Constantine

    Freddy vs Jason

    Coming Soon

    Slither

    The Tripper

    Sinister

    Cube

    Piranha 3D

    Higurashi no naku koro ni (When They Cry) and Shiki, in case you’re into creepy Anime Horror

  • @dugman said:

    Hmm, according to my current list on Flickchart.com my top 20 horror movies are

    1) The Shining

    2) Alien

    3) Event Horizon

    4) The Omen

    5) Shaun of the Dead

    6) Get Out

    7) 28 Days Later...

    8) Predator

    9) Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

    10) The Exorcist

    11) Aliens

    12) The Ring

    13) A Quiet Place

    14) Zombieland

    15) The Lighthouse

    16) The Wicker Man (1973)

    17) Army of Darkness

    18) Cube

    19) Arachnaphobia

    20) World War Z

    Note that this site is basically a bunch of this-or-that comparison. You just keep seeing two movie posters side by side and pick the one you like better ad infinitum. It’s kind of addictive! 🙂 The above list also isn’t too bad, I do like all those movies quite a bit. (Child’s Play and Saw are the next two on the list, of those I could maybe see Saw edging into 19 or 20?)

    I was actually an extra in World War Z. I was dressed as a mounted police officer with riding leggings & knee high leather boots lol. Quite a few of the scenes were filmed in Glasgow not far from where I live. I was also in another film called Outpost 2 also as a American soldier & you can actually see me in the movie trailer.

    I'm not an actor or anything they just happened to be filming near me and I was at a loose end & managed to get a few extra roles. It was a fun experience.

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    Sinister really freaky film and Ethan hawke is an interesting choice for a horror protag

    Was going to suggest Sinister! I'm more of an old school horror fan but I really really enjoyed it

  • @Waterfall said:

    Just watched The Deep House recently very eerie and unsettling. Also it takes place under water in a haunted house so it’s unique in its setting.

    Was bothering me being underwater as it made me feel a bit claustrophobic. Worth a watch.

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    The Thing is probably my favorite movie of all time.

    I recommended this to a younger friend and they said the CGI was pretty poor. lol

    One of my fav's too.

    • Check out "Deadly Games" (original title: 3615 code Père Noël) I was quite impressed by it back then, but it might not have aged so well, but still has got a solid 6,4 on IMDB.
    • And if you're not just in for chases, then go for "Black Christmas" (1974). But watch the original one first, the remakes don't bring much more to the table.
    • But "The Descent" (2005) should have everything you're looking for, depending on which version (US vs. UK, alternate ending) you watch ( :3 :3 :3 )


    And a couple of other french titles that are quite interesting

    • Martyrs (2008)
    • Frontier(s) (original title:Frontière(s)) (2007)
    • Inside (original title: À l'intérieur) (2007)
    • High Tension (original title: Haute tension (2003))


    And maybe not a pure horror movie "I Saw the Devil" (2010), but never the less creepy, and it's definitely a gem.

  • Sex and the city the movie.

  • John Carpenter's The Thing. Original not the prequel

    Event Horizon

    Sphere

  • In the mouth of madness

  • @VirtuaTyKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2884208#Comment_2884208

    I recommended this to a younger friend and they said the CGI was pretty poor. lol

    One of my fav's too.

    Maybe they'll like the 2011 (forgot the exact year) one more 😉😉

  • Some of my favorites (Some popular, some not that known):

    - The Strangers

    - Orphan

    - Wrong Turn (The original one)

    - Final Destination 1, 2, and 5 (The best of the movies imo)

    - Train To Busan

  • @ElleGreen said:

    Slashers, Monster movies , Sci fi horror etc some of my favorite movies are Scream 4, New Nightmare, House Of Wax, Prom Night, It, and Phenomena! Points for movies with fun chase scenes and underrated final girls and should have been final girls aka Helen Shivers...

    Thank you guys so many cool movies to add to my list <3

  • Deadly friend by wes craven its a old film but one of my favourites

‹ 1 2