BHVR, can we acknowledge fps on console is AWFUL since 4.1.0?

(for the original post look below)

UPDATE #2 (SEPTEMBER 1)

@MandyTalk posted this reply:

"If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed.

When we have information we will post it."

So here's asking to all the new comers: please, don't spam and remain in-topic as much as possible. The new patch is almost here and it would be a shame to not have this topic ready to discuss if and what changed. Thank you guys!

UPDATE #1 (August 28)

Q: did BHVR acknowledge the consoles problem?

A: NO. The only thing that BHVR did in this topic was to say, and I quote from @PatBrutal, "Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it."

The reply from Pat was on August 13th, and since then we haven't received any update on the matter. We currently don't know:

  • if the Dev Team actually did read the post
  • if they understand there is a frame rate problem
  • if they are willing to work on the problem
  • if they are able to work on the problem
  • if the problem has any priority over other work
  • if yes at all of the above: when the issues are expected to be resolved


Aside for the (non existent) public communications here on the forum, today there has been a tweet from the DbD official account that states as follow:

Untitled Image

notice the post is not talking about any improvement over the current fps on console, just that they apparently acknowledge console need special care for the graphical update.

if BHVR should ever decide to give any new public statement on the matter, it will be posted as a new update.

-----------------


ORIGINAL POST (august 5)

There are plenty of feedback on the optimization sub board but I don't see any reply from BHVR, so, once again:

are you aware that fps on console (PS4, at least) degraded A LOT since 4.1.0 when playing as killer?

Here, I'll post you a video from today on Hawkins, it's basically a slide show every time a survivor is on screen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489

(if it doesn't open: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489)

as a comparison, here's the same map (different killer, but trust me, it's not the Oni the problem), but from one month ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944

(again: direct link is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944)

The frame rate obviously is still far from optimal, but it's a great deal better than how it is now.

Can you, @Peanits , @Almo or whoever else at least say "yes, we know, expect a fix soon / buy a pc you filthy console peasant"?

EDIT: bonus video - Hillbilly on a very open (and not very elaborate, polygonally speaking?) map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvi3tYBSOA

The framerate is certainly better than on Hawkins, but as you can see every time there's a chase, maybe at T-L walls, everything goes south.

Comments

  • Console optimization should have happened before cross-play because it really shows. We are at such an unfair disadvantage.

  • The High Ground back for another daily prequel meme to prove a point that im fed up with console frames..

    Console Players - "I have failed you dead by daylight, I have failed you."

    DBD - "I should have known the players were plotting to take over!"

    Console Players - "Behaviour, having to play a slideshow is evil!"

    DBD - "From my point of view the frames are evil!"

    Console Players - "Well then you are lost!"

    tenor.gif


  • srry guys theyre too busy working on a legendary hunchback of notredame skin for the new killer, mark my words sht about to hit the fan when the new graphics arrive to consoles

  • @jisp3r said:

    Bump this and have you guys seen the new killer? the name "Blight" already gives me chills thinking about our console... Also his power with our framerate? Haha

    Lol when i saw his ability. I thought the same thing.

  • Guys, I have noticed when playing on custom game the FPS isn't as bad as public matches, can someone else on PlayStation 4 test this and report back please?

  • @Mew said:

    One way to combat the terrible framerate is to take every killer charm off of your hooks, it helps to improve the frames a lot from my experience

    sadly it only really helps if you’re playing killer

    Have you tested this? That's insane if it's true. I would think some charms make frames go lower than others tho if that's the case.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    Guys, I have noticed when playing on custom game the FPS isn't as bad as public matches, can someone else on PlayStation 4 test this and report back please?

    Yup, waaaay smoother than Pubs. Then again I haven't done it with 4 people, so if anyone else can test it with that would be great.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552464#Comment_1552464

    Yup, waaaay smoother than Pubs. Then again I haven't done it with 4 people, so if anyone else can test it with that would be great.

    Thanks for reporting back, we need to bring this to the attention of the devs, maybe it will help them with their investigation.

  • To see a performance topic last so long and in such a civilized way is wonderful. I am very proud of you guys!

  • @Skarin said:

    To see a performance topic last so long and in such a civilized way is wonderful. I am very proud of you guys!

    I haven't scoured every page personally, but I'm proud of the general lack or rudeness too.

    This a protest thread I can get behind.

  • Last night I was looping a killer. He left me, then came right back to me. I made a silly read, they get a free hit. Looping some more. I choose to dead hard very early just to make sure it works. Just so happens I timed it right when bloodlust kicks in. What happens? I’m able to DH, but the screen literally froze for 0.5-1 sec and I lost all momentum. Killer gets a free down, which proceeded to impact the rest of the game.


    @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552503#Comment_1552503

    Thanks for reporting back, we need to bring this to the attention of the devs, maybe it will help them with their investigation.

    I believe KYF is P2P. If you all have a decent connection to each other, lag should mostly be a non issue. That doesn’t fix FPS drops that occur with bloodlust, noed, etc

  • @EuphoricBliss35 said:

    Last night I was looping a killer. He left me, then came right back to me. I made a silly read, they get a free hit. Looping some more. I choose to dead hard very early just to make sure it works. Just so happens I timed it right when bloodlust kicks in. What happens? I’m able to DH, but the screen literally froze for 0.5-1 sec and I lost all momentum. Killer gets a free down, which proceeded to impact the rest of the game.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552512#Comment_1552512

    I believe KYF is P2P. If you all have a decent connection to each other, lag should mostly be a non issue. That doesn’t fix FPS drops that occur with bloodlust, noed, etc

    With this said, do you think the dedicated servers are affecting the framerate on console?

  • The hallowed blight skins if equipped already make playing on console horrible, but the new killer has that oozing liquid by default so every match with him is going to be a slide show.

    He is going to be literally unplayable on console because of already bad fps, his blight liquid dropping fps even more and his power requiring controls that allow sharp turns which isn't possible with controller.

    Can't wait this awesome update /s.

  • So did devs say something about this? Or are we still waiting an answer?

  • I think back on the first few pages there was a note about bringing this thread to the attention of their team. I haven’t seen anything since then unfortunately

  • In the meantime, has anyone had any luck mitigating the frame issues at all? I heard removing charms and switching xplay off can help, but I haven't tried myself yet.

  • The only thing that really uncool is how unresponsive the Dev are about this topics,if they play the game on anything they would see the performance aren't were game like this should be, they lack serious communication, PUBG addresses frequently this topics and so does most other big ''LIVE SERVICE'' game.

  • @Cutiaddu said:

    So did devs say something about this? Or are we still waiting an answer?

    the only two official answers we got right now are:

    1. from a support ticket (not public, but the ticket was mine) - a support representative assured me that the Dev Team knows about the issue and that they need to get on it IF the game is so unplayable.
    2. from @PatBrutal , she said that this topic has been forwarded to the Dev Team.

    So right now we have no idea:

    • if they deem the issue serious or not
    • if it's serious, if fixing it is a real priority (like: "we won't work on anything until this is fixed" - ahahah)
    • if it's a real priority, if they are currently working on it
    • if they are currently working on it, if they have an E.T.A.
    • if they have an E.T.A., what this E.T.A. is :P

    So, on a scale from Socrates (I know that I don't know) to tru3ta1ent (which knows everything ever, existing and fictional all the same), I would say we are currently at a John Snow level (we know nothing).

  • Sup my beautiful console peasants.

    Just passing by to leave my daily/weekly comment on this wonderful thread.

    Let it forever reign on the first page.

    Serious though, some gaming journalist need to get a hold of this.


    #clownunderrated

  • One way this issue could be made more public is for someone from this thread who has registered to twitch (I haven't) to go to some fog whisperer's stream (for example Otz or tru3) and ask them if they could bring this issue up with the devs. McLean and not_Queen were at Otz's stream yesterday, so they are active (at least on things they care about = new content).

    Devs can't stay silent forever if this issue gets enough attention.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552591#Comment_1552591

    With this said, do you think the dedicated servers are affecting the framerate on console?

    Hard to say. If it was affecting frames, you’d expect it to be affecting frames on PC and other platforms as well. I believe frames/GPU and server connection would be unrelated, but I have no real knowledge to speak to that. I do know frames were an issue even back on P2P. The nice thing about P2P was if your ping was good (50-80...even though on console, standard was closer to 120-150) the game was more reliable/predictable with using dead hard, vaults, etc. On servers, reliability is not there (vault a 2nd story window on Haddonfield, for example, and watch as you get hit as your already falling halfway down one time, and then vault again and you clear the window).


    Part of this happens I believe to fluctuations. Sometimes when you pause, you’ll see your ping going from 60-100. But because you only see the white marker in the top left at 150, it looks like everything is fine. To what degree those fluctuations, and/or bigger fluctuations begin to affect the perception of frames, I have no idea.


    I do know, whether P2P or not, Doc still causes frame drops, status changes affect frames (blood lust, sloppy, noed, etc), etc.


    Im curious to learn why it seems like whenever a dev responds to these issues, it’s always “going to be looked at.” These have been issues on console for so long. I get the game was built for PC, but I imagine there’s a larger player base on console. Maybe I’m wrong

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552706#Comment_1552706

    the only two official answers we got right now are:

    1. from a support ticket (not public, but the ticket was mine) - a support representative assured me that the Dev Team knows about the issue and that they need to get on it IF the game is so unplayable.
    2. from @PatBrutal , she said that this topic has been forwarded to the Dev Team.

    So right now we have no idea:

    • if they deem the issue serious or not
    • if it's serious, if fixing it is a real priority (like: "we won't work on anything until this is fixed" - ahahah)
    • if it's a real priority, if they are currently working on it
    • if they are currently working on it, if they have an E.T.A.
    • if they have an E.T.A., what this E.T.A. is :P

    So, on a scale from Socrates (I know that I don't know) to tru3ta1ent (which knows everything ever, existing and fictional all the same), I would say we are currently at a John Snow level (we know nothing).

    Oh that's great, I wish I could refund my switch version then.

  • @Stinde said:

    One way this issue could be made more public is for someone from this thread who has registered to twitch (I haven't) to go to some fog whisperer's stream (for example Otz or tru3) and ask them if they could bring this issue up with the devs. McLean and not_Queen were at Otz's stream yesterday, so they are active (at least on things they care about = new content).

    Devs can't stay silent forever if this issue gets enough attention.

    We could post this thread over on the Dead by Daylight subreddit to get a discussion going?

  • Console Players waiting for an official response

    day-23-5baeb4.jpg


  • Playing killer can be a bit tougher on console because of the new hit lag and lag while survivors juke is a thing. I still don't do awful but it has definitely saved a few dozen survivors from a hook. I never had issues in past years playing but 4.1did get me a bit of (skill forgivable) lag.


    Also my PS4 fan really hates Jane Romero's red hair cosmetic and idk why specifically that.

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552923#Comment_1552923

    We could post this thread over on the Dead by Daylight subreddit to get a discussion going?

    Yes, that could work too!

  • @Ryuzaki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552923#Comment_1552923

    We could post this thread over on the Dead by Daylight subreddit to get a discussion going?

    The discord too if anyone's on it

  • Bump cause this is getting ridiculous.

    I know pc players are the majority of the playerbase but theres enough players on consoles to move forward with this fps update.

    FPS should have been fixed before crossplay.

    Stop buying cosmetics and aura cells. They have no reason to fix anything if we just keep giving them our money anyway.

    The devs prioritize the wrong things to get fixed first and the more time you spend on this fourm and playing DBD, you really start to realize that if there not making money off it then trust me its not even being thought about.

    They probably have a monthly meeting where they discuss this fps issue and this is how i think it goes

    "Hey john the consoles players are still complaining about the FPS optimization we promised them over a year ago and never delivered"

    "Hey bob how much we do in sales in cosmetics on consoles this month?"

    "Well john, the amateur consoles players are just eating up all the new stuff we released, profits are looking good this month"

    *laughs* "stupid console players will never understand"

    "Just have a mod go post in the fourms that were still working on it, its worked this far lets just keep it going"

    "Hey bob hows that new skin coming along for the new killer?... Yeah?... Make sure we bump up the price to $20 for this legendary skin."

    "You sure there going to pay more for this skin than they did for the whole game? Of course there going to pay it!

    "Make the new legendary skin top priority! Cya next month"

  • @ASurvkillivorer said:

    PRetty please allow consoles to opt out of JUSt the PC crossplay and we can live with the trash framerate.

    WE??? You don't speak for me!

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552706#Comment_1552706

    the only two official answers we got right now are:

    1. from a support ticket (not public, but the ticket was mine) - a support representative assured me that the Dev Team knows about the issue and that they need to get on it IF the game is so unplayable.
    2. from @PatBrutal , she said that this topic has been forwarded to the Dev Team.

    So right now we have no idea:

    • if they deem the issue serious or not
    • if it's serious, if fixing it is a real priority (like: "we won't work on anything until this is fixed" - ahahah)
    • if it's a real priority, if they are currently working on it
    • if they are currently working on it, if they have an E.T.A.
    • if they have an E.T.A., what this E.T.A. is :P

    So, on a scale from Socrates (I know that I don't know) to tru3ta1ent (which knows everything ever, existing and fictional all the same), I would say we are currently at a John Snow level (we know nothing).

    By saying they should look at it IF the game is unplayable feels like they keep us on the edge of the playable limit huh... Good to know

  • Roadmap to 60 fps on console.... lol

    That was a thing at some point? or not?

  • @Aneurysm said:

    In the meantime, has anyone had any luck mitigating the frame issues at all? I heard removing charms and switching xplay off can help, but I haven't tried myself yet.

    When crossplay was enabled I noticed my frames were way worse than normal as a survivor, turned off crossplay and back to normal frame issues.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1552788#Comment_1552788

    When crossplay was enabled I noticed my frames were way worse than normal as a survivor, turned off crossplay and back to normal frame issues.

    I've tried a survivor game with it off and the frames are def better, but queues are longer. KIller is instant either way so that's an easier choice.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1553299#Comment_1553299

    I've tried a survivor game with it off and the frames are def better, but queues are longer. KIller is instant either way so that's an easier choice.

    My queue as survivor luckily hasn't been long since turning off crossplay. I play solo so maybe that helps?

  • Up with it!

    I played a couple of games as Killer. The frame rates were so low that it was nearly impossible to hit a survivor. Map Ormond with thick fog offering.

  • Frame drops when entering the Dream World when playing against Freddy are awesome, especially during a skill check. 😬

  • Tried the no charm thing did not help me on the lerys 😔🐷

  • @Stinde said:

    One way this issue could be made more public is for someone from this thread who has registered to twitch (I haven't) to go to some fog whisperer's stream (for example Otz or tru3) and ask them if they could bring this issue up with the devs. McLean and not_Queen were at Otz's stream yesterday, so they are active (at least on things they care about = new content).

    Devs can't stay silent forever if this issue gets enough attention.

    I went to mclean stream the other day. He blatantly ignored me. Like it was obvious he was.

  • Ok devs do it... execute order 66... 😜

  • there's no real way we can make our fps problem more public than it already is, and there's no amount of artificial backlash possible that will help us - either Devs do care, and they will try to fix it as things are now, or they don't care, and the only way to make them change their mind is if they see a drop in income from console of... what, 50%? more?

    But that's just fantasy, the vast majority of console players play survivor anyway, which don't suffer from (huge) fps drops, and even if it did they would still buy cosmetics as they are doing right now so... what is left is just being present and vocal.

    I'm confident that by the time PlayStation 7 is released we'll have a decent frame rate.

  • I am beginning to believe they simply don’t have the skill/technology to fix frame issues with the 4+ years of spaghetti code the game has. That’s not a shot at them, just a big @$$ plate of pasta

  • don't you dare blame pasta!


    Source: an italian guy

  • @Darkskies said:

    Tried the no charm thing did not help me on the lerys 😔🐷

    Ah damn. Worth a try I guess.

    @Nobsyde said:

    there's no real way we can make our fps problem more public than it already is, and there's no amount of artificial backlash possible that will help us - either Devs do care, and they will try to fix it as things are now, or they don't care, and the only way to make them change their mind is if they see a drop in income from console of... what, 50%? more?

    But that's just fantasy, the vast majority of console players play survivor anyway, which don't suffer from (huge) fps drops, and even if it did they would still buy cosmetics as they are doing right now so... what is left is just being present and vocal.

    I'm confident that by the time PlayStation 7 is released we'll have a decent frame rate.

    If we keep getting ignored, and don't get a proper answer soon maybe we should try some sort of organised attempt to get console players + pc sympathisers to stop buying auric cells. Flood the forums, the subreddit, the discord, playstation community groups and its equivalents, social media groups, the fog whisperers' streams, the dev streams, the inboxes of everyone we play with or against etc etc

    It could just fail but maybe something to consider if nothing works.

  • I would actually like the consoles to finally be optimized. Some peoples PS4 sound like a jet engine from this game during loading screens or overheat easily. The colossal drop in frames is getting worse. Overall the game is slowly decaying on console.

  • @Liruliniel said:

    I would actually like the consoles to finally be optimized. Some peoples PS4 sound like a jet engine from this game during loading screens or overheat easily. The colossal drop in frames is getting worse. Overall the game is slowly decaying on console.

    The jet engine as game loads after intro is terrible.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1553662#Comment_1553662

    Ah damn. Worth a try I guess.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1553818#Comment_1553818

    If we keep getting ignored, and don't get a proper answer soon maybe we should try some sort of organised attempt to get console players + pc sympathisers to stop buying auric cells. Flood the forums, the subreddit, the discord, playstation community groups and its equivalents, social media groups, the fog whisperers' streams, the dev streams, the inboxes of everyone we play with or against etc etc

    It could just fail but maybe something to consider if nothing works.

    it would never work out.

    In fact, it would be easier if we just started coding our DbD rip off, with black jake and hooked blendette.

  • I have never felt so ignored as with this game and its devs. The worst of all is that they promised to continue improving performance and the opposite happens, while now they don't even try to fix it.


    Sad times :(

1 … 7 8 9 10 11 … 21