BHVR, can we acknowledge fps on console is AWFUL since 4.1.0?

(for the original post look below)

UPDATE #2 (SEPTEMBER 1)

@MandyTalk posted this reply:

"If you don't keep this thread on topic, it will be closed.

When we have information we will post it."

So here's asking to all the new comers: please, don't spam and remain in-topic as much as possible. The new patch is almost here and it would be a shame to not have this topic ready to discuss if and what changed. Thank you guys!

UPDATE #1 (August 28)

Q: did BHVR acknowledge the consoles problem?

A: NO. The only thing that BHVR did in this topic was to say, and I quote from @PatBrutal, "Just so you know, we've shared the thread with the team and they're going to take a look at it."

The reply from Pat was on August 13th, and since then we haven't received any update on the matter. We currently don't know:

  • if the Dev Team actually did read the post
  • if they understand there is a frame rate problem
  • if they are willing to work on the problem
  • if they are able to work on the problem
  • if the problem has any priority over other work
  • if yes at all of the above: when the issues are expected to be resolved


Aside for the (non existent) public communications here on the forum, today there has been a tweet from the DbD official account that states as follow:

Untitled Image

notice the post is not talking about any improvement over the current fps on console, just that they apparently acknowledge console need special care for the graphical update.

if BHVR should ever decide to give any new public statement on the matter, it will be posted as a new update.

-----------------


ORIGINAL POST (august 5)

There are plenty of feedback on the optimization sub board but I don't see any reply from BHVR, so, once again:

are you aware that fps on console (PS4, at least) degraded A LOT since 4.1.0 when playing as killer?

Here, I'll post you a video from today on Hawkins, it's basically a slide show every time a survivor is on screen.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489

(if it doesn't open: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/701472489)

as a comparison, here's the same map (different killer, but trust me, it's not the Oni the problem), but from one month ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944

(again: direct link is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/665197944)

The frame rate obviously is still far from optimal, but it's a great deal better than how it is now.

Can you, @Peanits , @Almo or whoever else at least say "yes, we know, expect a fix soon / buy a pc you filthy console peasant"?

EDIT: bonus video - Hillbilly on a very open (and not very elaborate, polygonally speaking?) map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvi3tYBSOA

The framerate is certainly better than on Hawkins, but as you can see every time there's a chase, maybe at T-L walls, everything goes south.

Comments

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1541429#Comment_1541429

    if you have both a ps4 and a pc dbd I think it's a no brainer where you should play.

    If you only have a ps4... well, there's free Fail Guys with the Plus this month!

    And those of us on Xbox??? ;)

  • you can watch people playing Fail Guys on twitch

    Untitled Image


  • Can't even use my p3 skins it's gotten so bad

  • @Nebula said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1536823#Comment_1536823

    I take it you’re on Xbox? I have the same problem and my friend that plays on PS4 says it has never happened to him before. Strange that this would only affect one console and not the other.

    Yep on xbox. I thought i was the only one who had this problem

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1541203#Comment_1541203

    Yep on xbox. I thought i was the only one who had this problem

    I’m on PS4 and I can say that I have experienced the same problem

  • I sick of framrate on console. With crossplay I must turn it off couse killer fps horrible.Steel hope Devs optimaze console, but my hope slowly dying..

  • The frame rate drops are starting to get to me on PS4. Ugh.

    You or someone else in the struggle phase and someone decides to open a chest? Frame rate drop that causes you miss a button prompt to struggle and you die or it'll cause a frame rate drop to everyone else having a slight delay in whatever action they're doing.

    I was in the struggle phase two times today and died when the survivor got exposed with NOED because there are frame rate drops there for me now.

    It's even worse when I play killer. WAY worse. What is happening.

  • I know alot of people love the halloween franchise. Now lets imagine we are playing Michael Myers..."oh gosh im about to tier 3 down this survivor" *gains bloodlust at the same time as a tier up* "welp guess I didnt want to hit him just yet"

    This has just turned micheal myers into Mookel Myers. And trust me. Mookel myers has not done it ;)

    This is so sad. Can we rework the frames and the memory leak? Pls. I'll give you a lollipop. If its extra smooth you may earn a piece of cake too.

  • Personal update on ps4 fps plight. Sent a ticket. Still havent gotten back to yet. Went to a devs stream. Legit ignored all questions about fps. Including a tip.

  • Just checking in boys. It's only been 3 days since we got the message saying they were looking at.

    Let's keep track and only leave this thread on e they actually fix something.

    It shall be a forever meme of a dev team utterly incompetence.

  • Fix the frame rates and please, keep your promises

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1541203#Comment_1541203

    Yep on xbox. I thought i was the only one who had this problem

    Yup, extremely annoying problem and sometimes we can only get one game in before having to restart

  • Guys let's be real


    With the new update for the next gen consoles around the corner, they won't touch current gen FPS

  • Please let PS4 and Xbox play without PC.

  • @katsumodo47 said:

    Guys let's be real

    With the new update for the next gen consoles around the corner, they won't touch current gen FPS

    then I guess this topic will stay on the first page for at least another 4 months :P

  • I understand that the devs are unlikely to put serious work into current gen console optimization with the next gen around the corner. However, some of us don't plan to get the next generation of console.

    Cross saves would solve a lot of problems. I have a PC that is much better than my PS4, but I've been playing this since it was offered on PS Plus, and I don't want to lose 3 years of progress.

    I'd rebuy this game in a heartbeat on Steam just so I can play at 60 FPS.

  • So I registered just to post here on this topic (see username).

    Let me preface this by saying that I own all DLC on PS4 and had maxed out 9 killers and 2 survivors with all teachables. Quite a bit of money and time spent on DBD over the last couple of years.


    I love DBD concept and gameplay and it was my main game for a long time. When I get time off work and not spending it my toddler, I play DBD.

    Over the last month I started playing less and less because of the horrible performance on PS4. Just walking around as killer is jittery and laggy. Any action or chase drops my FPS even further to 5-10 range.

    Killer is unplayable on all maps and using Blight outfits causes FPS to plummet even further. Especially bad with Demogorgon on Hawkins & Lerys.

    As much as I would hate to waste all of the game progress I will not spend another dime on this game until the performance is fixed. I have a launch PS4 and other visually stunning games and massive multiplayer shooters play just fine. Please fix it asap, it's insulting to those of us that spent a bunch of money on something that ended up unplayable.

  • A reminder of this announcement that console would be optimised up to 60 FPS:

    @not_Queen said:

    Over the past six months, we have allocated strike teams with the mission of improving the overall health of the game. As announced last December, we have developers working on a new matchmaking algorithm which we are actively testing and are almost ready to deploy. We are also targeting to migrate the game to dedicated servers by the end of summer 2019.

    This blog post is meant to update you on the efforts put on optimization, which aim to enhance the overall game’s performance.

    When we first released Dead by Daylight back in 2016, we targeted 30 FPS on our minimum spec. Up until recently, we optimized the game in bursts; for the console launch and before releasing a new Killer. We are now ready to set a new performance target: Dead by daylight will run at 60 FPS on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and minimum spec PCs.

    Reaching 60 FPS on Dead by Daylight is not an easy task. It is a multifaceted iterative process that started six months ago and will be ongoing for months. Our strike team of programmers dedicated to optimizing the game has their hands deep into the game code. To summarize, optimization improves the frame rate by using less CPU and GPU cycles to update and render the world faster without any apparent loss of quality.

    See below for a high-level view of our optimization roadmap.

    STEP 1: UPDATE TO UNREAL ENGINE 4.20

    Target: Chapter 10 and incremental changes with every engine update (update to 4.21 is planned for chapter 11)

    The engine update was a necessity to move forward with the optimization process.

    All the Unreal engine features below gives us additional tools and means to enhance the performance of the game: the new Apex integration (dynamic mesh simulation), RHI/Render thread split, Epic’s mesh reduction tool & improved animation thread tooling are just a few examples.

    STEP 2: CPU, GPU AND CONTEXTUAL OPTIMIZATIONS

    Target: Chapter 11 and ongoing

    This is the core of the work to improve the performance and the game’s frame rate.
    There are many opportunities for optimization, but here are the three main pillars overarching our efforts:

    CPU optimizations: improving the game’s baseline systems

    This is where the game world is simulated (interactions, character navigation, perks and powers). We will be converting our slowest gameplay blueprints to C++ which should, in specific cases, run ten to two hundred times faster. We are also moving from a tick-based system to an event-based-system. A tick-based system is much more demanding, as it constantly pokes the CPU to know when to trigger an action, while an event-based system can enable an event only when necessary and therefore reduce the stress on the CPU.

    GPU Optimizations: Overall Graphic Optimizations

    The GPU is where the game world is rendered into an image which is then drawn on the screen. The optimization actions listed below mainly affect the game’s visual representation. The objective is to render the world faster without sacrificing quality. We will be updating our anti-aliasing system to TXAA and moving the SSAO to a compute shader, simplify our shadow pass, optimize character outlines, improve LODs, slim render passes, bake more lights, use imposter rendering for specific objects (trees, grass) and more.

    Contextual Optimizations: Performance Spikes for Specific Actions

    We are working on optimizations that pay at any given time when you play (as mentioned above under GPU/CPU) but we also know there are specific actions and/or Killers that will need extra optimization. These are problematic cases where we see major hitches in performance. Here are a few examples: multiple characters moving in close quarters, specific Killer slow down, perks combination, etc.

    STEP 3: UPDATING OUR GUIDELINES AND PROCESSES

    Target: Chapter 12 and ongoing

    While we optimize the existing gameplay and graphic systems, we develop better tools and methods to implement new features. When we have a new process figured out, it is documented and shared with our development team who can then apply these learnings for the creation of new content.

    Our objective is to offer a better performance on all platforms, making the game look smoother and the controls more reactive. Still, doing such majors changes all at once (game engine update and rewriting game code) is bound to briefly disrupt things and require some adaptation time. We hope you understand that this is a transition period and an investment to improve the game.

    Don’t hesitate to share your feedback on our forums or social media if you encounter an issue. Our objective is to keep you updated on our progress in the coming months. The upcoming Dead by Daylight anniversary will be a great timing to give you additional visibility on our progress.

    See you in the fog,
    The Dead by Daylight team

    This was announced in March. Of 2019. And a year and a half later, things have gone massively downhill. A stable 30 FPS seems like a far-fetched dream.

    The devs saying that they'll look into this on this thread is possibly the only acknowledgement we've had of the problems on console in a long time. Threads about this issue are -this being the exception- routinely ignored. We have crossplay now, which is a great thing but the game being more or less unplayable (on some maps, literally unplayable) on several of their major platforms isn't good enough. It's ridiculous.

  • @FixDBDonPS4 said:

    So I registered just to post here on this topic (see username).

    Let me preface this by saying that I own all DLC on PS4 and had maxed out 9 killers and 2 survivors with all teachables. Quite a bit of money and time spent on DBD over the last couple of years.

    I love DBD concept and gameplay and it was my main game for a long time. When I get time off work and not spending it my toddler, I play DBD.

    Over the last month I started playing less and less because of the horrible performance on PS4. Just walking around as killer is jittery and laggy. Any action or chase drops my FPS even further to 5-10 range.

    Killer is unplayable on all maps and using Blight outfits causes FPS to plummet even further. Especially bad with Demogorgon on Hawkins & Lerys.

    As much as I would hate to waste all of the game progress I will not spend another dime on this game until the performance is fixed. I have a launch PS4 and other visually stunning games and massive multiplayer shooters play just fine. Please fix it asap, it's insulting to those of us that spent a bunch of money on something that ended up unplayable.

    tnx for coming by and sharing your experience.

    To be honest, I was surprised that a topic like this wasn't already always on the front page of this board, considering for how long we were promised "console optimisation". I guess the fact that now we are facing the exact opposite of optimisation was the last straw.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1543916#Comment_1543916

    tnx for coming by and sharing your experience.

    To be honest, I was surprised that a topic like this wasn't already always on the front page of this board, considering for how long we were promised "console optimisation". I guess the fact that now we are facing the exact opposite of optimisation was the last straw.

    And now with crossplay enabled it's pretty much do or die for them.

    People won't let go of this topic so easily. And seeing how amateurs they seem to be, it's quite unlikely that the game will run any better on next gen.

    Like, who in their right mind would have crossplay before optimizing consoles. It's another stupid decision to the pile of overflowing stupid decisions.

  • Know what is cool? Playing as a survivor and bringing a mist offering so you can do a stealth build. Shame that it rekts the killers fps LUL ez 360s get rekt

    Know what's not fun? Playing a match as killer then the offering flips and its a mist....

    A surprise to be sure, but a unwelcome one.

    maxresdefault.jpg


  • @Sinister0208 said:

    Maybe the Minotaur skin for Oni comes with higher FPS.

    Yeah, also buying a survivor skin comes with 5 more pallets to the map. I understood this reference lol

  • Playing on Switch and it's like Michael J. Fox is holding the camera

  • Dead Dawg Saloon is now one of the maps that gives me hell. I got it as Freddy and I’m pretty sure I had 10-15 FPS for most of the match.

  • @SnakeSound222 said:

    Dead Dawg Saloon is now one of the maps that gives me hell. I got it as Freddy and I’m pretty sure I had 10-15 FPS for most of the match.

    Nice frames ya got there...it'd be a shame if someone pretty good job'd it ;)

  • Leaving a Dot because this discussion needs to be at top

  • This thread is as long as console players' patience, except the thread doesn't eventually run out

  • @Aneurysm said:

    This thread is as long as console players' patience, except the thread doesn't eventually run out

    YO' CONSOLE is so slow that this thread has more pages than her average fps.

  • I hope we get crossprogression for all consoles. If that happens I switch to PC in a heartbeat. I wonder if they are planning optimization in tandem with the graphical update? One can dream...

  • I'm a Ps4 player. I had to get myself a gaming PC to sort this issue. I'd prefer a quick compensation for us, atleast a cross progression for the time being. please, do something.. BHVR

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1545145#Comment_1545145

    YO' CONSOLE is so slow that this thread has more pages than her average fps.

    😄 I get spun by the tutorial meg

  • If, somehow, this thread get them to actually fix something, we should start a new one asking for them to fix the control sensitivity on console.

    It's a ######### joke,.you can't even change your options properly cause of how laggy the cursor is.

    Like #########. How do you make the game laggy on the menus Jesus

  • Seriously tho I get being not able to optimize console well but why not hire more people who excel at console optimization. Its clear that almost every platform besides pc needs it bad.

  • This thread is as long as killer que times.

  • @ImagineUcareForPips said:

    Let's be real, devs onky responded here to shot their "acknowledgement" and calm is down. But in reality they don't give a single F about "wasting" money optimising dbd but rather think about the next best and easiest way to milk the money out of our pockets.

    Honestly, they are probably not going to say anything else about this. They're waiting for the next console generation. As soon as that hits and hopefully they get the okay for cross progression from Sony and MS, their new response will be "Get a new console or move to PC!"

    Hopefully cross progression comes before the graphics update, because I bet that will make the game truly unplayable on current consoles.

  • @Nobsyde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1545145#Comment_1545145

    YO' CONSOLE is so slow that this thread has more pages than her average fps.

    Maybe we get 30 FPS at 30 pages in this thread? 😳

  • I really hope that they actually do something about the frames and not just acknowledge the issue and do nothing about it.

    I honestly don't know how people can put up with the state that it's in right now. :/

  • I seriously hope they do something because lerys memorial has become unplayable for me, just trying to dead hard or hit skill checks on that map is impossible

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/179630/bhvr-can-we-acknowledge-fps-on-console-is-awful-since-4-1-0

    As a PS4 player, I can feel this.

    You forgot to mention that some killers have noticeably lower frames than others. From what Ive played Demo has the worst frames by far, which would explain why there is barely any demo players.

    This. I don't play him anymore bc this.

  • Let's try it then!

    Was playing Hag today and what a mistake that was.... Frames are so low that she can't land tp hits now.

    If this frame issue keeps going on, I'm done.

    Dead Dawg unplayable

    Hawkins unplayable

    Ormond unplayable

    Red forest unplayable

    Did I forget anything?

    Oh, got blight costumes on Halloween but can't use them and you guys wanna know why? Frame drop. Amazing isn't it?

    We want fixes Behaviour, please.

    Also something better than "we know what is going on with console" would be great.

    Not buying anything from the game until this is fixed.

  • I am dreading the upcoming graphical update, we'll be lucky to get 5 FPS on any map...

  • Thirty page thread that isn't about NOED, DS, toxicity, how op or underpowered something is?????

    But seriously devs help us consolers out a bit

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    Know what is cool? Playing as a survivor and bringing a mist offering so you can do a stealth build. Shame that it rekts the killers fps LUL ez 360s get rekt

    Know what's not fun? Playing a match as killer then the offering flips and its a mist....

    A surprise to be sure, but a unwelcome one.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ZET264X9F14R/maxresdefault.jpg

    I love you. Straight up love starwars memes

  • I love you, I love frames.

    20200818_045855.jpg

    Dead by daylights frames will be reorganized into the first Galactic Slideshow, for a unsafe and unsecure game, which I assure you will last for ten thousand updates.

    Declaration.png

    So..this is how our frames die.. With thunderous patches.

  • @Nemmy_Wemmy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1547769#Comment_1547769

    I love you, I love frames.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/ACL0D6AAU2MH/20200818-045855.jpg

    Dead by daylights frames will be reorganized into the first Galactic Slideshow, for a unsafe and unsecure game, which I assure you will last for ten thousand updates.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/QPX581SDE8H1/declaration.png

    So..this is how our frames die.. With thunderous patches.

    Have you heard the story about console frames on the rise?

1 … 5 6 7 8 9 … 21