What is causing the crazy long killer queue times?

Killer queues times are higher than I can ever remember in the years I’ve been playing this game. 2v8 queue times have always been long for killers, but in this most recent version I’ve been consistently seeing times between 30-40 minutes, way higher than ever before. 1v4 mode killer queue times are also much longer than I’ve ever seen them.

In my personal experience, the killer side doesn’t feel overly easy. I regularly get matched against good survivors who know how to loop and coordinate and most of my matches require a lot of skill and effort to have a decent chance of winning.

On the survivor side, my most frustrating matches aren’t due to killers being overly strong, but regularly getting matched with teammates who are just bad at the game. The average teammate often gets downed very quickly and doesn’t have good game sense to know what to do in certain situations. When I have competent teammates, the matches are almost always enjoyable even if we lose. But it has been this way for me for a long time and that is not something that is new that would explain the increased queue time imbalance.

The overall killer vs survivor balance seems to be in a good spot based on my experience playing both sides, so I don’t know how to explain what’s going on. Has anything fundamentally changed with game balance recently that is making the game less fun and competitive for survivor players? Is it still because of Jason bringing a lot more people than usual to the killer side? Something else entirely?

I’m hoping to get thoughts on what is causing this from people who play both sides regularly and not the divisive “it’s because BHVR hates survivor players” type of comments that aren’t helpful.

Comments

  • 2v8 is the only mode in the game that allows you to play killer with a friend. It will always grab more people playing killer for this simple fact. It has nothing to do with game balance.

  • It's just a question of ratios tbh, as long as killer isn't in a garbage spot the killer queue will always be longer due to the 4:1 ratio.

    And no it's not because survivor is in a bad spot it's in a fairly mid spot it's that the amount of average players has increased the last couple months, You had Jason into Anniversary into Summer Event so you have way more of the "casual" player base playing for an extended period of time so the quality of your soloQ teammate has probably plummeted recently because the MMR isn't actually all that strict and prioritizes finding a lobby over the MMR.

  • Well most play 2vs8 to play killer with friend that's the main appeal so naturally queques are longer. Play while you wait also encourages to go play killer and meanwhile play some survivor games as you wait but as you need 8 survivors this makes queques even longer. Still it's really good option though.

  • @DarkStrife said:

    I think we need to optimize and have more lobby servers added

    Servers don't do anything when you don't have enough people to fill them. In 2v8 you need ten players and if there is not enough survivors to go around the wait time will get longer. Servers numbers are not the problem but the size of the playerbase.

    @Nazzzak said:

    Lights Out was last week, and it was the first time we've seen it in 2 years. Perhaps that brought some people back to the game and they're sticking around for 2v8 too, so there's even more folks queued up for killer than previous iterations. My theory anyway.

    Every mode from Chaos Shuffle to Lights Out to 2v8 all caused a spike in the player ammounts. Chaos Shuffle and Lights Out spiked about 10k from normal numbers when they were released and 2v8 spiked about 20k more when released. This is just on Steam. This shows people will come to play when different modes come to the game and that Chaos Shuffle and Lights Out are not really that much less popular than 2v8.

  • For Me its because the game is extremely stale and nobody can seem to agree on how to move it forward at all. I think at the end of the day the killers individually do not add very much and the survivors are all reskins of a null person that can equip 4 perks (many of which are basically locked behind DLC unless you play an obscene amount of the game). the game is in limbo between it being so samey it has to be playable entirely based on its competitive nature but also being so disjointed, unbalanced, buggy, and just generally too unplayable in a competitive sense so it feels like the playerbase is entirely at odds on whether the game is competitive or not. for me personally, I would prefer more variety and a deeper focus on it being a horror game rather than a streamlined PvP experience but the game committing to neither is making it a bad experience

  • This content has been removed.
  • I think casual players are more likely to play killer nowadays and survivor shifted to be more of hardcore choice (when few years ago it was the opposite).

    Though survivors still appeals to casuals a degree as playing with friends possible, however it shows that if mode offers the same with killer then survivor is forgotten.

  • I've typically jumped back and forth between the roles, usually per session, but lately I'm basically playing killer every day and will only play survivor with friends, and even that usually goes terribly. We're lucky most matches to get someone out through the hatch. I'm farming a bit in 2v8 solo survivor currently and it's the same way. Almost all matches have been killer wins even when the killers are really bad. These people will whiff on me 5 times in a chase with a killer they clearly don't know well and still win the match somehow. The role feels unpleasant to me right now and the 5s off the baskeit BT is about to make it feel even worse. The knee jeek reposnses to outrage about Cross Examination and Fast Track have also left a bad taste in my mouth. Then I come here to see killer mains parrot CCs and whine about how bad killer is and how survivors need nerfs. So I'll just play killer where I'm generally pretty satisfied with my matches, unlike survivor, which is leaving me fustrated and bitter. And nothing on the horizon tells me it's going to get better.

  • @cogsturning said:

    I've typically jumped back and forth between the roles, usually per session, but lately I'm basically playing killer every day and will only play survivor with friends, and even that usually goes terribly. We're lucky most matches to get someone out through the hatch. I'm farming a bit in 2v8 solo survivor currently and it's the same way. Almost all matches have been killer wins even when the killers are really bad. These people will whiff on me 5 times in a chase with a killer they clearly don't know well and still win the match somehow. The role feels unpleasant to me right now and the 5s off the baskeit BT is about to make it feel even worse. The knee jeek reposnses to outrage about Cross Examination and Fast Track have also left a bad taste in my mouth. Then I come here to see killer mains parrot CCs and whine about how bad killer is and how survivors need nerfs. So I'll just play killer where I'm generally pretty satisfied with my matches, unlike survivor, which is leaving me fustrated and bitter. And nothing on the horizon tells me it's going to get better.

    Survivor queue seems to be on permanent bloodpoint bonus (1,75-3,5x) so probably most came to same conclusion, playing killer simply more enjoyable compared to state survivor role in the game.

    If had to say one thing is the total lack of agency since there is still no comeback mechanic for survivors, once you lost a teammate unless a gen or 2 remaining its mathematically impossible to win at that point, and if only 2 survivors remaining the only "comeback" to get hatch but in most cases wont even come into play since majority of killers will slug for 4k and waste survivors time but you cant forfeit and expected to play a surely lost match where intended comeback never happens due killers abusing it

  • @cogsturning said:

    I've typically jumped back and forth between the roles, usually per session, but lately I'm basically playing killer every day and will only play survivor with friends, and even that usually goes terribly. We're lucky most matches to get someone out through the hatch. I'm farming a bit in 2v8 solo survivor currently and it's the same way. Almost all matches have been killer wins even when the killers are really bad. These people will whiff on me 5 times in a chase with a killer they clearly don't know well and still win the match somehow. The role feels unpleasant to me right now and the 5s off the baskeit BT is about to make it feel even worse. The knee jeek reposnses to outrage about Cross Examination and Fast Track have also left a bad taste in my mouth. Then I come here to see killer mains parrot CCs and whine about how bad killer is and how survivors need nerfs. So I'll just play killer where I'm generally pretty satisfied with my matches, unlike survivor, which is leaving me fustrated and bitter. And nothing on the horizon tells me it's going to get better.

    This pretty well articulates my experiences as well.

    This time last year, I was playing at least a dozen games of solo survivor most nights of the week—many more if even one of my friends was online to queue up with me. And largely I had a lot of fun playing those matches, even though I'd say my survival rate was either just as bad or worse than it is now.

    Nowadays if I hop on to play solo survivor games (which I go weeks and weeks without doing) it's rare for me to last more than three games before I quit. Usually I'll get a few games in if I have a friend playing with me, but it's not even close to the amount of survivor I was playing before.

    It's just not fun? It feels like every tweak or balancing change or feature introduced has railroaded survivors into having to play a particular way in order to be 'meta'—which doesn't even really guarantee a less miserable or more successful experience. It just feels like survivor has no agency left, that none of our choices in game really matter or have any impact. Oftentimes, regardless of what we as individual players do, the outcome of the game is decided within the first minute or two, and everything thereafter is just being forced to go through the motions without any real hope of a comeback.

    I think that might be a key part of it: hope.

    On an individual game basis, most games are decided almost immediately and in the killers favour, and there is no hope on the survivor side of turning that around. Equally so in a more zoomed out view, whenever a proposed feature that might improve survivor experience is proposed, providing hope that the game experience for survivors might improve, it's usually swiftly snatched away or nerfed into uselessness.

    And now survivors have nothing to look forward to except more nerfs to the very few in game systems that ever really provided any hope at all (like the upcoming nerf to BT), and new perks can't provide it either because we've all now recognised the pattern of a new survivor perk being added, it actually doing something, and then it promptly being nerfed into oblivion.

    That's just my take on it from my personal experiences playing: there's usually no hope for survivors on an individual game basis, and there's no hope for improvements for survivors on a role-wide balancing basis either. So we get burnt out and we don't play as much.

  • The reason killer 2v8 is worse this time than ever before is because of play while you wait. Queue times were always bad, and because of that, alot of people just…didn't queue for killer for the mode. Now that you can queue up as killer, play a quick survivor 2v8 match, and boom, killer match after 5-10mins (depending on how long that survivor match went), this is the new standard.

    Regardless of whether the mode is survivor-sided or not, killer queue times are still outrageously long. Therefore, survivor should get more buffs in this mode, to help even out queue times.

  • Survivor has been repetitive and boring for many years.

  • @littlehoot said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108314#Comment_4108314

    This pretty well articulates my experiences as well.

    This time last year, I was playing at least a dozen games of solo survivor most nights of the week—many more if even one of my friends was online to queue up with me. And largely I had a lot of fun playing those matches, even though I'd say my survival rate was either just as bad or worse than it is now.

    Nowadays if I hop on to play solo survivor games (which I go weeks and weeks without doing) it's rare for me to last more than three games before I quit. Usually I'll get a few games in if I have a friend playing with me, but it's not even close to the amount of survivor I was playing before.

    It's just not fun? It feels like every tweak or balancing change or feature introduced has railroaded survivors into having to play a particular way in order to be 'meta'—which doesn't even really guarantee a less miserable or more successful experience. It just feels like survivor has no agency left, that none of our choices in game really matter or have any impact. Oftentimes, regardless of what we as individual players do, the outcome of the game is decided within the first minute or two, and everything thereafter is just being forced to go through the motions without any real hope of a comeback.

    I think that might be a key part of it: hope.

    On an individual game basis, most games are decided almost immediately and in the killers favour, and there is no hope on the survivor side of turning that around. Equally so in a more zoomed out view, whenever a proposed feature that might improve survivor experience is proposed, providing hope that the game experience for survivors might improve, it's usually swiftly snatched away or nerfed into uselessness.

    And now survivors have nothing to look forward to except more nerfs to the very few in game systems that ever really provided any hope at all (like the upcoming nerf to BT), and new perks can't provide it either because we've all now recognised the pattern of a new survivor perk being added, it actually doing something, and then it promptly being nerfed into oblivion.

    That's just my take on it from my personal experiences playing: there's usually no hope for survivors on an individual game basis, and there's no hope for improvements for survivors on a role-wide balancing basis either. So we get burnt out and we don't play as much.

    @littlehoot said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108314#Comment_4108314

    This pretty well articulates my experiences as well.

    This time last year, I was playing at least a dozen games of solo survivor most nights of the week—many more if even one of my friends was online to queue up with me. And largely I had a lot of fun playing those matches, even though I'd say my survival rate was either just as bad or worse than it is now.

    Nowadays if I hop on to play solo survivor games (which I go weeks and weeks without doing) it's rare for me to last more than three games before I quit. Usually I'll get a few games in if I have a friend playing with me, but it's not even close to the amount of survivor I was playing before.

    It's just not fun? It feels like every tweak or balancing change or feature introduced has railroaded survivors into having to play a particular way in order to be 'meta'—which doesn't even really guarantee a less miserable or more successful experience. It just feels like survivor has no agency left, that none of our choices in game really matter or have any impact. Oftentimes, regardless of what we as individual players do, the outcome of the game is decided within the first minute or two, and everything thereafter is just being forced to go through the motions without any real hope of a comeback.

    I think that might be a key part of it: hope.

    On an individual game basis, most games are decided almost immediately and in the killers favour, and there is no hope on the survivor side of turning that around. Equally so in a more zoomed out view, whenever a proposed feature that might improve survivor experience is proposed, providing hope that the game experience for survivors might improve, it's usually swiftly snatched away or nerfed into uselessness.

    And now survivors have nothing to look forward to except more nerfs to the very few in game systems that ever really provided any hope at all (like the upcoming nerf to BT), and new perks can't provide it either because we've all now recognised the pattern of a new survivor perk being added, it actually doing something, and then it promptly being nerfed into oblivion.

    That's just my take on it from my personal experiences playing: there's usually no hope for survivors on an individual game basis, and there's no hope for improvements for survivors on a role-wide balancing basis either. So we get burnt out and we don't play as much.

    Yeah a big part of the problem is how quickly things go south as survivor and how unfixable it is. And that knowledge comes with time. Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Meanwhile, on killer, I can lose three gens with one hook and still comeback. I don't go a single killer session without getting a win in end game after playing terrible. There's always hope as killer. But as survivor they want you to lose a lot and be fine with hopeless matches.

    So if option one is lose a whole lot and feel bad a minute into a match, and option two is win more and feel more in control, why would you choose option one? I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

  • @Yamalive said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107915#Comment_4107915

    Its pretty obvious from the history of patches that Bhvr does favor killer over survivor. This is an undeniable fact.

    This is actively ragebait. You used to be able to destroy trappers power, and yet people like you will claim that the devs hate survivors. Just admit you want free wins and get out. Survivors are literally getting MORE information FOR FREE as soon as the next update comes out. You complain because you know the devs will bend the knee to your whining. That's it. Survivor "takes more skill" in the same way it "takes more skill" to use a sword over your fists. Once that skill is achieved you have the advantage, that's why you put in the effort. Killer is "easier" only against survivors who struggle to know what they need to do at any given point, which is becoming more of a skill issue with each information update given.
    Survivor is as simple as looping for as long as possible, doing gens, healing, and not unhooking in front of the killers face. Anything else would just be killer specific. The fact that I struggle to find survivors who don't do half of that should tell you the real reason survivor feels bad to play. The PLAYERS are the problem. No amount of help will change that. I'd argue they've gotten worse BECAUSE they keep receiving help reducing the need to learn fundamentals.

    Blaming behavior for being partial to killers is like blaming the referee that only gives you a yellow card for drop kicking an enemy for why you lost the soccer match when you actively don't kick the ball.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108345#Comment_4108345

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108345#Comment_4108345

    Yeah a big part of the problem is how quickly things go south as survivor and how unfixable it is. And that knowledge comes with time. Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Meanwhile, on killer, I can lose three gens with one hook and still comeback. I don't go a single killer session without getting a win in end game after playing terrible. There's always hope as killer. But as survivor they want you to lose a lot and be fine with hopeless matches.

    So if option one is lose a whole lot and feel bad a minute into a match, and option two is win more and feel more in control, why would you choose option one? I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

    Survivor's main weakness is that you need other survivors to be competent to win, and most players refuse to put in the bare minimum. Killer's main weakness is that once all 4 survivors actually lock in you realize how many tools they have at their disposal compared to you. They are 4 swiss army knives and you are a single sledgehammer. You may out power them, but power was never what they needed to win. It's not what they should rely on.

    As an experiment to see how few survivors are actually putting in meaningful effort: try and play perkless trapper (for bonus masochism/iterate on my point, do it with the addon that prevents traps from damaging them to reduce the impact your traps have on a match). If you can beat a squad of survivors with that killer and no perks, it's proof that they weren't a group you should have been put up against.

  • @WeaverReaver42 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108430#Comment_4108430

    Survivor's main weakness is that you need other survivors to be competent to win, and most players refuse to put in the bare minimum. Killer's main weakness is that once all 4 survivors actually lock in you realize how many tools they have at their disposal compared to you. They are 4 swiss army knives and you are a single sledgehammer. You may out power them, but power was never what they needed to win. It's not what they should rely on.

    As an experiment to see how few survivors are actually putting in meaningful effort: try and play perkless trapper (for bonus masochism/iterate on my point, do it with the addon that prevents traps from damaging them to reduce the impact your traps have on a match). If you can beat a squad of survivors with that killer and no perks, it's proof that they weren't a group you should have been put up against.

    I play with competent, high-hour players in SWF. We go against similar killers with 4 slowddowns almost every match and lose more than we win. And I wouldn't really call it the bare minimum. Survivor is much harder to learn. The bare minimum in this game is at least 1k hours of experience and that's a lot to ask of many people.

    I already know when I'm against people I shouldn't have been with. I have dozens of screenshots of 4ks at 5 gens to remind me. I don't need to throw to find out. I'm not sure what that proves though. Play a killer I don't like or know well with no perks against the efficient meta players I often get? Of course that'll go badly. I'd have similar results if I went perkless as surv against those 4 showdown meta p100 killers with 5k+ hours.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    Lights Out was last week, and it was the first time we've seen it in 2 years. Perhaps that brought some people back to the game and they're sticking around for 2v8 too, so there's even more folks queued up for killer than previous iterations. My theory anyway.

    Nah each 2v8 the queues times on EU servers are rising, lights out was more survivor sided then 2v8 and tbh in 2v8 its very easy to escape if you get team that does gens and doesnt run around.

    Kinda doesnt make sence with one thing. Who would wait so long and didnt used play while you wait option which reduces time significantly and helps you earn more bp and challange rewards for rift? I dont think that like big part of people just wait in lobby with killer for 40+ minutes and do something else like they can but its strange tbh.

  • @HexSlugged said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107903#Comment_4107903

    right, im sure behavior hates the majority of thweir userbase and revenue stream. why do poeple think behavior hates one specific portion of their users. this is such an absurd nonsense trope to push over and over and act like its any kind of sensible opinion

    The fact your comment is getting so many downvotes just for saying this goes to show some people come to this forums just to rant and throw hate after they had bad matches. What you said is very obviously right, but somehow it seems it angered some people.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107910#Comment_4107910

    Isn't 2v8, the mode with the really long killer queues, considered SURVIVOR sided? 1v4 queues normally go up anytime 2v8 comes around... the only abnormal thing here is the 2v8 queues.

    That's what Killer mains claim, but I guess not, because no one wants to play Survivor in 2v8. Survivor is 10s + 3.5x, Killer is 40 min for me.

  • @Malkhrim said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107915#Comment_4107915

    The fact your comment is getting so many downvotes just for saying this goes to show some people come to this forums just to rant and throw hate after they had bad matches. What you said is very obviously right, but somehow it seems it angered some people.

    I don't think it is right.

    Firstly, I'm not sure the majority can be classed as 'survivors' or 'survivor players', as I wager the majority will play both roles. Of what's left, I would not be surprised if there's more 'hard-mains' on the killer side, as that has significantly more variety, given that every killer plays fundamentally differently.

    Then there's also the profitability argument, which I think is also in favour of killers, since survivors are just skins whereas killers are actual gameplay elements.

    And then there's the track record, where, ever since 6.1, it is clear that BHVR has had its ear to the ground when it comes to killer grievances, and has placed those at a higher priority than survivors. Which is why the net result of the promise to finally try and tackle tunnelling after ten years, is a nerf to an anti-tunnel perk. And a lot of their decisions have been motivated using exact killer complaints with exact verbiage, too.

    It's not unreasonable to think that BHVR treats the survivor role as second-class.

  • @Malkhrim said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107915#Comment_4107915

    The fact your comment is getting so many downvotes just for saying this goes to show some people come to this forums just to rant and throw hate after they had bad matches. What you said is very obviously right, but somehow it seems it angered some people.

    The only reason that comments like that get downvoted is because there are some here who fully embrace the “us vs them” tribalism because they only play one side. They love feeling like they are the victim and that the devs are somehow conspiring to make “their side” as miserable as possible, which makes absolutely no sense from a business perspective.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4107914#Comment_4107914

    That's what Killer mains claim, but I guess not, because no one wants to play Survivor in 2v8. Survivor is 10s + 3.5x, Killer is 40 min for me.

    They could completely butcher any resemblance of balance in 2v8 and people would still wanna queue up with the only gamemode that lets you play killer with a friend. You have GOT to stop conflating queue times with balance.

  • @DarkStrife said:

    I think we need to optimize and have more lobby servers added

    They have, it's just that they've decided that the Ohio, Montréal, and London servers shall only be brought online during the most EXTREME of queue congestion, and apparently only for a few hours. I was genuinely surprised when I checked Dead by Queue just now and saw that the Ohio and London servers are FINALLY online (they have NOT been for most of this event, and I expect them to return to their usual 'OFFLINE' status before long). Bringing the Ohio server especially (the one closest to me, that gives me the lowest ping on the extremely rare occasion it's actually on) online usually cuts queue times on the Virginia server by one third to nearly one half the time, and it looked like the Virginia server was trending with probably consistently the worst Killer queue times.

    DeadByQueue.png
  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108514#Comment_4108514

    They could completely butcher any resemblance of balance in 2v8 and people would still wanna queue up with the only gamemode that lets you play killer with a friend. You have GOT to stop conflating queue times with balance.

    Balance and a good experience are two different things. Even if the mode could be called survivor-sided the lack of matchmaking and killers on comms make it very unfun much of the time. I don't know what rocks all these trolls playing survivor slither out from when this mode rolls back out but a huge chunk of the people I've had the misfortune to play with have been so abysmally useless that the balance doesn't matter. They're opening chests, cleansing totems, and crouching behind rocks. A good chunk of my escapes in the few matches I dragged myself through were hatch. On top of that I often get to make it to the end just to get a minute of BMing from two killers. 3.5x is not enough to make me do more than a handful of that garbage.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108586#Comment_4108586

    Balance and a good experience are two different things. Even if the mode could be called survivor-sided the lack of matchmaking and killers on comms make it very unfun much of the time. I don't know what rocks all these trolls playing survivor slither out from when this mode rolls back out but a huge chunk of the people I've had the misfortune to play with have been so abysmally useless that the balance doesn't matter. They're opening chests, cleansing totems, and crouching behind rocks. A good chunk of my escapes in the few matches I dragged myself through were hatch. On top of that I often get to make it to the end just to get a minute of BMing from two killers. 3.5x is not enough to make me do more than a handful of that garbage.

    "Im not having fun" is completely valid. Fun CAN be affected by balance, but often times its its own thing. Personally, I've been queuing up as TRAPPER. I get a nice dopamine hit everytime my Wraith teammate stirs up the survivor team and I hear the snap of a trap across the map. Its not exactly the strongest most optimal thing ever, but im having fun.

    I've been playing roughly 2 survivor games for every 1 killer game with the play as you wait system and still having fun. Its been really nice for clearing out my challenges on both sides as well.

    1000002523.jpg
  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108345#Comment_4108345

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108345#Comment_4108345

    Yeah a big part of the problem is how quickly things go south as survivor and how unfixable it is. And that knowledge comes with time. Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Meanwhile, on killer, I can lose three gens with one hook and still comeback. I don't go a single killer session without getting a win in end game after playing terrible. There's always hope as killer. But as survivor they want you to lose a lot and be fine with hopeless matches.

    So if option one is lose a whole lot and feel bad a minute into a match, and option two is win more and feel more in control, why would you choose option one? I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

    Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Agree on that this is one of the big issues on the survivor side. My complaint about being survivor is not per se the difficulty difference (though that's not great), its that the killer has 'won' and we're all still stuck in the game. I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    I don't think it takes that long to figure out though, which is one of the likely problems with longer term player retention. If anything, I think survivors learn this lesson quickly, and perhaps learn it too well, causing them to give up matches way too quickly.

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

    At the current rate of queue times, killers also being the survivor players would basically be a given.

    I suppose its not out of the question that longer term survivors break into two pools - SWFs and soloq that is killers waiting for their next killer game.

  • @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108430#Comment_4108430

    Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Agree on that this is one of the big issues on the survivor side. My complaint about being survivor is not per se the difficulty difference (though that's not great), its that the killer has 'won' and we're all still stuck in the game. I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    I don't think it takes that long to figure out though, which is one of the likely problems with longer term player retention. If anything, I think survivors learn this lesson quickly, and perhaps learn it too well, causing them to give up matches way too quickly.

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

    At the current rate of queue times, killers also being the survivor players would basically be a given.

    I suppose its not out of the question that longer term survivors break into two pools - SWFs and soloq that is killers waiting for their next killer game.

    Unfortunately you have people who have drastically differing opinions on when a game is unwinnable and not worth playing out. When you have a teammate dead at 5 gens... you're probably not getting those gens finished. On the other hand, calling it quits after the first down is way too early to come to that conclusion.

    https://youtube.com/shorts/ER7ruuwnj-Y?is=YUcwmGjQw5ec7U8j

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108593#Comment_4108593

    "Im not having fun" is completely valid. Fun CAN be affected by balance, but often times its its own thing. Personally, I've been queuing up as TRAPPER. I get a nice dopamine hit everytime my Wraith teammate stirs up the survivor team and I hear the snap of a trap across the map. Its not exactly the strongest most optimal thing ever, but im having fun.

    I've been playing roughly 2 survivor games for every 1 killer game with the play as you wait system and still having fun. Its been really nice for clearing out my challenges on both sides as well.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/S9ZVJ8IZ2H4C/1000002523.jpg

    Am I seeing this right? Have you only ever played 7 hours of survivor across all 2v8 iterations? That is surprisingly low.

    I have about the same ER as you for this iteration. Still having a bad time, and it's also lower than my norm of 50-60%.

    @crogers271 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108430#Comment_4108430

    Once you have at least a couple thousand hours invested the trajectory pattern becomes very visible and you know when a survivor match is lost almost immediately. I'm just so tired of thinking about the hatch a minute into a match.

    Agree on that this is one of the big issues on the survivor side. My complaint about being survivor is not per se the difficulty difference (though that's not great), its that the killer has 'won' and we're all still stuck in the game. I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    I don't think it takes that long to figure out though, which is one of the likely problems with longer term player retention. If anything, I think survivors learn this lesson quickly, and perhaps learn it too well, causing them to give up matches way too quickly.

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    I've seen more and more people feeling that way and I don't know how the game can sustain it.

    At the current rate of queue times, killers also being the survivor players would basically be a given.

    I suppose its not out of the question that longer term survivors break into two pools - SWFs and soloq that is killers waiting for their next killer game.

    I think pwyw has done a lot of harm. I believe a lot of the bs I've seen in my matches can be attributed to farming killer mains who don't care about the survivor experience. It would explain the absolute uselessness of many of my 2v8 teammates, as well as the bizarre instances of immediate throwing and trolling I've had an increasing amount of in 1v4 since they added the feature. It's necessary for 2v8, I guess, but I'd like to see it gone from 1v4.

    I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    Which is why I hate the feature. It's a get out of jail free card for BHVR. Why deal with issues when you can just let people leave for damn near anything?

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    God, this would be so bleak.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108597#Comment_4108597

    Am I seeing this right? Have you only ever played 7 hours of survivor across all 2v8 iterations? That is surprisingly low.

    I have about the same ER as you for this iteration. Still having a bad time, and it's also lower than my norm of 50-60%.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108607#Comment_4108607

    I think pwyw has done a lot of harm. I believe a lot of the bs I've seen in my matches can be attributed to farming killer mains who don't care about the survivor experience. It would explain the absolute uselessness of many of my 2v8 teammates, as well as the bizarre instances of immediate throwing and trolling I've had an increasing amount of in 1v4 since they added the feature. It's necessary for 2v8, I guess, but I'd like to see it gone from 1v4.

    I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    Which is why I hate the feature. It's a get out of jail free card for BHVR. Why deal with issues when you can just let people leave for damn near anything?

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    God, this would be so bleak.

    I dont play all 2v8 iterations and I take breaks from the game as a whole. I recently came back from a break spanning like 8 months. It really helps with maintaining any semblance of fun when your not forcing yourself to ready up when your feeling miserable from the previous matches.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108514#Comment_4108514

    They could completely butcher any resemblance of balance in 2v8 and people would still wanna queue up with the only gamemode that lets you play killer with a friend. You have GOT to stop conflating queue times with balance.

    You need to stop conflating that everyone being so eager to play killer with a friend is the issue! Do you have statistics or information that verifies this claim? I also disagree with your opinion, because if getting a kill were nearly impossible in this mode, no one would play it. Killer is easy, and more fun than Survivor in this mode. And the queues reflect that reality.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108597#Comment_4108597

    Am I seeing this right? Have you only ever played 7 hours of survivor across all 2v8 iterations? That is surprisingly low.

    I have about the same ER as you for this iteration. Still having a bad time, and it's also lower than my norm of 50-60%.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108607#Comment_4108607

    I think pwyw has done a lot of harm. I believe a lot of the bs I've seen in my matches can be attributed to farming killer mains who don't care about the survivor experience. It would explain the absolute uselessness of many of my 2v8 teammates, as well as the bizarre instances of immediate throwing and trolling I've had an increasing amount of in 1v4 since they added the feature. It's necessary for 2v8, I guess, but I'd like to see it gone from 1v4.

    I think that's why BHVR went kind of crazy with the abandon options as a way to try and make that less awful without having to address core issues in the game.

    Which is why I hate the feature. It's a get out of jail free card for BHVR. Why deal with issues when you can just let people leave for damn near anything?

    I just thought that with the up coming survivor commands it would be funny if one of them was 'please don't give up, we still have a chance.'

    God, this would be so bleak.

    I think pwyw has done a lot of harm. I believe a lot of the bs I've seen in my matches can be attributed to farming killer mains who don't care about the survivor experience.

    This just feels like bad faith argument. Killer players can't even try playing survivor without being accused that they're actively damaging the experience of other people. The whole priority queue doesn't even do anything, if someone were to enter a survivor match in the play while you wait, get themselves killed and move back to the lobby they still have to wait the same amount of time. If someone really only cares for playing killer, they'll just wait.

  • I'll say that in 2 years of 2v8, survivor still has nothing interesting going on apart from sprint burst on demand. Killer gets constant dopamine hits due to chases and potential teamwork moments with a stranger or a friend. Survivor is mostly boring gimmicks with a meager BP incentive to get through the "slop". The occasional good chase is what matters at the end.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108586#Comment_4108586

    You need to stop conflating that everyone being so eager to play killer with a friend is the issue! Do you have statistics or information that verifies this claim? I also disagree with your opinion, because if getting a kill were nearly impossible in this mode, no one would play it. Killer is easy, and more fun than Survivor in this mode. And the queues reflect that reality.

    The stats is actually the easiest part to collect. All you have to do is look at the difference in queue times before and during 2v8. The only thing that would realistically cause both 1v4 and 2v8 killer queues to jump up like this without any balance change is if people who normally would be in the 1v4 survivor queue to instead join the 2v8 killer queue. For many ppl, SWF is a major reason they even play DBD. They like to play with their friends.

    1000002508.jpg

    We can see the number of players didnt go DOWN from players leaving during the event, so coming to the conclusion the players are joining a different queue isn't hard.

  • @JohnNemesisMan said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108621#Comment_4108621

    I think pwyw has done a lot of harm. I believe a lot of the bs I've seen in my matches can be attributed to farming killer mains who don't care about the survivor experience.

    This just feels like bad faith argument. Killer players can't even try playing survivor without being accused that they're actively damaging the experience of other people. The whole priority queue doesn't even do anything, if someone were to enter a survivor match in the play while you wait, get themselves killed and move back to the lobby they still have to wait the same amount of time. If someone really only cares for playing killer, they'll just wait.

    Not sure how a theory can be in bad faith, nor do I know what my bad faith goal would be in this case, but there are mains just in this forum alone that vehemently hate the role they don't like. They treat the two sides like warring religions. We've even had some killer mains say they actively try to get their teammates killed when they play survivor and that they think it's funny. I see it in my killer matches too, people who are intentionally causing problems for no obvious reason, often resulting in whole teams giving up. Do I know they're killer mains? No. But I've simply seen more of it since the system came to 1v4. My last session had two of these people in different matches. If the killer queue is only five minutes you can easily troll for 10k blood points and be in your killer lobby faster. Free points and spreading some chaos is probably better to some than waiting. Acting like this community is full of angels who would never cause problems is just unrealistic.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108639#Comment_4108639

    Not sure how a theory can be in bad faith, nor do I know what my bad faith goal would be in this case, but there are mains just in this forum alone that vehemently hate the role they don't like. They treat the two sides like warring religions. We've even had some killer mains say they actively try to get their teammates killed when they play survivor and that they think it's funny. I see it in my killer matches too, people who are intentionally causing problems for no obvious reason, often resulting in whole teams giving up. Do I know they're killer mains? No. But I've simply seen more of it since the system came to 1v4. My last session had two of these people in different matches. If the killer queue is only five minutes you can easily troll for 10k blood points and be in your killer lobby faster. Free points and spreading some chaos is probably better to some than waiting. Acting like this community is full of angels who would never cause problems is just unrealistic.

    If you have people who are actively sabotaging their team, you should just report them for griefing. I DO agree the PWYW feature is probably causing more people to queue for killer who would otherwise not wanna deal with the longer queue time. I dont think that in itself is an issue. Playing 2 matches of survivor, then playing my killer match has been the norm for me this time around. If you have people trolling and doing stuff like pulling every pallet on the map down... report them. I feel like alot of issues stem from BHVR being way too lax with dealing out bans when its appropriate and the losing the playerbase's trust about it.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108635#Comment_4108635

    The stats is actually the easiest part to collect. All you have to do is look at the difference in queue times before and during 2v8. The only thing that would realistically cause both 1v4 and 2v8 killer queues to jump up like this without any balance change is if people who normally would be in the 1v4 survivor queue to instead join the 2v8 killer queue. For many ppl, SWF is a major reason they even play DBD. They like to play with their friends.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/CLSJXMQMUL4J/1000002508.jpg

    We can see the number of players didnt go DOWN from players leaving during the event, so coming to the conclusion the players are joining a different queue isn't hard.

    Steam Charts only track who has the game open, not what queue they are choosing on one of five platforms. But even if we use your exact interpretation, that player counts are stable and Survivor players are simply migrating to the Killer queue, it completely proves my point.


    Players don't migrate to longer queues just to be miserable. The fact that veteran Survivor mains are willing to wait 40 minutes in massive lines just to play duo-Killer, and that Killers are flooding the event, proves exactly what I originally said: the Killer experience is currently much more fun and appealing than playing Survivor right now. And no one wants to play Survivor, including Survivor mains. That is a combination of fun and balance.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108647#Comment_4108647

    If you have people who are actively sabotaging their team, you should just report them for griefing. I DO agree the PWYW feature is probably causing more people to queue for killer who would otherwise not wanna deal with the longer queue time. I dont think that in itself is an issue. Playing 2 matches of survivor, then playing my killer match has been the norm for me this time around. If you have people trolling and doing stuff like pulling every pallet on the map down... report them. I feel like alot of issues stem from BHVR being way too lax with dealing out bans when its appropriate and the losing the playerbase's trust about it.

    I'm not really worried about 2v8. It's idiot mode. But some behavior is more obviously reportable than others. If I'm in a cage and I see two people in a corner spam crouching repeatedly is that reportable? Is opening 20 chests and never touching a gen reportable? Leaving me to die in a cage on one hook? Things like blocking a cage are obvious but the mode is so full of stupidity I wouldn't even know how they could assess it.

    1v4 is my concern. This was one of the ones I had recently:

    https://youtu.be/MY0rll0KUjo?is=-hWYOQwTNbMwaX7j

    The Nea just started tbagging me at match start, went down, everyone knew she was throwing and gave up. 4k at 5 gens and oh so much fun for everyone. In the same session I had a Mikaela running only Circle of Healing who would hide behind a rock every time I came by and when I'd find her she'd either just stand there and look at me or she'd slowly walk away.

    I do usually report people like this but does it do anything? Bans for griefing happen. I'm 100% on that. But how often, I dont know. I just don't want to see so much of it. It's one of many reasons I almost never soloq anymore.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108642#Comment_4108642

    Steam Charts only track who has the game open, not what queue they are choosing on one of five platforms. But even if we use your exact interpretation, that player counts are stable and Survivor players are simply migrating to the Killer queue, it completely proves my point.


    Players don't migrate to longer queues just to be miserable. The fact that veteran Survivor mains are willing to wait 40 minutes in massive lines just to play duo-Killer, and that Killers are flooding the event, proves exactly what I originally said: the Killer experience is currently much more fun and appealing than playing Survivor right now. And no one wants to play Survivor, including Survivor mains. That is a combination of fun and balance.

    I'll agree the killer experience is fun. Im a killer main for a reason, lol. Being able to swap between several killers and enjoy different experiences is what brought me to that role to begin with and I personally am OK with playing alone. Thats not the same with everyone though. Many people play survivor specifically because its the only role they can play with their friends.

    No, I dont think the survivor players are joining a super long killer queue and just sitting there for 40 minutes. I think its much more likely they're doing what Im doing lately with using the PWYW feature to play survivor twice before hopping in their killer game.

    You can make the argument all day that the survivor role isn't fun and thats why people prefer queuing for 2v8 killer. I wouldn't disagree with you that 2v8 killer is more fun. The part im disagreeing with is that the killer role is more popular because 2v8 killer is STRONGER than normal. Personally, my 2v8 survivor games have MORE escapes than my 1v4 survivor games, not less. Link your stats on 1v4 and 2v8 survivor really quick to compare the results of the same player.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108651#Comment_4108651

    I'll agree the killer experience is fun. Im a killer main for a reason, lol. Being able to swap between several killers and enjoy different experiences is what brought me to that role to begin with and I personally am OK with playing alone. Thats not the same with everyone though. Many people play survivor specifically because its the only role they can play with their friends.

    No, I dont think the survivor players are joining a super long killer queue and just sitting there for 40 minutes. I think its much more likely they're doing what Im doing lately with using the PWYW feature to play survivor twice before hopping in their killer game.

    You can make the argument all day that the survivor role isn't fun and thats why people prefer queuing for 2v8 killer. I wouldn't disagree with you that 2v8 killer is more fun. The part im disagreeing with is that the killer role is more popular because 2v8 killer is STRONGER than normal. Personally, my 2v8 survivor games have MORE escapes than my 1v4 survivor games, not less. Link your stats on 1v4 and 2v8 survivor really quick to compare the results of the same player.

    You already conceded my original point: 2v8 Killer is more fun. But your pivot to personal escape rates and assumptions doesn't save your argument—it actually breaks it completely.

    You said you 'think its much more likely' players are doing exactly what you do: playing two Survivor matches via PWYW just to get one Killer match. That is an assumption, not a fact. But let's look at the math if you're right. If the massive pool of waiting Killers is doing double duty to fill Survivor lobbies artificially, and the Killer queue still takes 40 minutes... it means the dedicated Survivor population has practically vanished. Killers are literally subsidizing the Survivor queues, and it's still not enough to fix the bottleneck. If playing Survivor was actually desirable, the game wouldn't need Killers on a 40-minute layover to populate its lobbies. Personally, Survivor is so unappealing right now that I would rather sit in that long queue doing other stuff than use PWYW to play it.

    Your escape rate logic contradicts your own conclusion. Think about what you just argued: Survivors are escaping more in 2v8. If Survivors are winning more often, yet the game still has to use PWYW and massive Bloodpoint incentives to fill lobbies, that is the ultimate proof the role is in a terrible state. It means Survivor is so unappealing right now that people don't even want to play it when they are actively winning and getting massive BPs.

    I also never said STRONGER, I said more appealing and fun. As I said from the start: the queues don't lie.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108648#Comment_4108648

    I'm not really worried about 2v8. It's idiot mode. But some behavior is more obviously reportable than others. If I'm in a cage and I see two people in a corner spam crouching repeatedly is that reportable? Is opening 20 chests and never touching a gen reportable? Leaving me to die in a cage on one hook? Things like blocking a cage are obvious but the mode is so full of stupidity I wouldn't even know how they could assess it.

    1v4 is my concern. This was one of the ones I had recently:

    https://youtu.be/MY0rll0KUjo?is=-hWYOQwTNbMwaX7j

    The Nea just started tbagging me at match start, went down, everyone knew she was throwing and gave up. 4k at 5 gens and oh so much fun for everyone. In the same session I had a Mikaela running only Circle of Healing who would hide behind a rock every time I came by and when I'd find her she'd either just stand there and look at me or she'd slowly walk away.

    I do usually report people like this but does it do anything? Bans for griefing happen. I'm 100% on that. But how often, I dont know. I just don't want to see so much of it. It's one of many reasons I almost never soloq anymore.

    I dont think that has much to do with PWYW. Theres been posts and videos about players throwing matches forever... way before PWYW was ever thought up. It was a major reason why the self unhook option was mostly removed.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108652#Comment_4108652

    I dont think that has much to do with PWYW. Theres been posts and videos about players throwing matches forever... way before PWYW was ever thought up. It was a major reason why the self unhook option was mostly removed.

    First, I'm saying it's gotten worse for me since the system migrated to 1v4. Second, there's a difference between people who are immediately being terrors for no discernible reason—like the thrower teammate I had a couple weeks ago running No Mither and Self Care—and someone who's fustrated because they went down 30s into the match and have immediately lost hope. I think there's a pretty firm distinction between people loading in to grief and people being unhappy about how the match is going. That's one of the things we've talked about here, the hopeless state of many matches just a minute or two in. That's how the three people in that clip probably felt, versus the Nea that made then feel that way.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108663#Comment_4108663

    First, I'm saying it's gotten worse for me since the system migrated to 1v4. Second, there's a difference between people who are immediately being terrors for no discernible reason—like the thrower teammate I had a couple weeks ago running No Mither and Self Care—and someone who's fustrated because they went down 30s into the match and have immediately lost hope. I think there's a pretty firm distinction between people loading in to grief and people being unhappy about how the match is going. That's one of the things we've talked about here, the hopeless state of many matches just a minute or two in. That's how the three people in that clip probably felt, versus the Nea that made then feel that way.

    I can definitely sympathize for the 3 ppl in the clip. I've seen my fair share of ppl who ragequit after I get a gengrab as Pig at the start of a match. It quickly sours the mood. That being said... Who tf looks at a 5 minute queue and says "let's join as a survivor and ruin a match real quick"? If someone is doing that, thats insane.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108668#Comment_4108668

    I can definitely sympathize for the 3 ppl in the clip. I've seen my fair share of ppl who ragequit after I get a gengrab as Pig at the start of a match. It quickly sours the mood. That being said... Who tf looks at a 5 minute queue and says "let's join as a survivor and ruin a match real quick"? If someone is doing that, thats insane.

    Immature people, which this community has an abundance of. I regulaly remind myself that there are probably edgy and angsty 14-year-olds playing this game and they're not going to be paragons of human decency. In addition to them, there's a surplus of adult children too.

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108654#Comment_4108654

    You already conceded my original point: 2v8 Killer is more fun. But your pivot to personal escape rates and assumptions doesn't save your argument—it actually breaks it completely.

    You said you 'think its much more likely' players are doing exactly what you do: playing two Survivor matches via PWYW just to get one Killer match. That is an assumption, not a fact. But let's look at the math if you're right. If the massive pool of waiting Killers is doing double duty to fill Survivor lobbies artificially, and the Killer queue still takes 40 minutes... it means the dedicated Survivor population has practically vanished. Killers are literally subsidizing the Survivor queues, and it's still not enough to fix the bottleneck. If playing Survivor was actually desirable, the game wouldn't need Killers on a 40-minute layover to populate its lobbies. Personally, Survivor is so unappealing right now that I would rather sit in that long queue doing other stuff than use PWYW to play it.

    Your escape rate logic contradicts your own conclusion. Think about what you just argued: Survivors are escaping more in 2v8. If Survivors are winning more often, yet the game still has to use PWYW and massive Bloodpoint incentives to fill lobbies, that is the ultimate proof the role is in a terrible state. It means Survivor is so unappealing right now that people don't even want to play it when they are actively winning and getting massive BPs.

    I also never said STRONGER, I said more appealing and fun. As I said from the start: the queues don't lie.

    My entire point this whole time was about conflating queue times to balance. You can look at escape/kill rates as a decent indicator to balance, but queue times alone just means its more fun. If they made the gens only take 10 seconds, you'd drastically change the balance without ever making the role more fun.

  • @LordGlint said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108660#Comment_4108660

    My entire point this whole time was about conflating queue times to balance. You can look at escape/kill rates as a decent indicator to balance, but queue times alone just means its more fun. If they made the gens only take 10 seconds, you'd drastically change the balance without ever making the role more fun.

    Your 'entire point' keeps changing because your arguments keep falling apart. My original point hasn't changed: no one wants to play Survivor, and Killer is more appealing and fun. Now your last resort is arguing the semantics of 'fun' versus 'balance.'

    You're wrong again, and your 10-second generator example proves it: u cannot separate game balance from the gameplay experience. You are looking at a spreadsheet of escape rates and calling the game 'balanced,' completely ignoring that the mechanics required to get those escapes are so miserable that hardly anyone wants to play the role.

    If 80% of the roles in a match are so unappealing that the devs have to offer massive incentives even with 10s queue times just to get people to endure it, your game isn't balanced. You've conceded on the data, the queues, and the fun. You're just arguing definitions now because you lost the debate, and there is no point in continuing this if you're just going to keep shifting the goalposts.

    Meanwhile, Killers are still waiting 40 minutes just to play. Speaking of which, the wait is so long that when I queued 35 minutes ago I wanted to play The Trapper, and now I want to play The Spirit but cannot switch lol

  • @Nicholas said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108682#Comment_4108682

    Your 'entire point' keeps changing because your arguments keep falling apart. My original point hasn't changed: no one wants to play Survivor, and Killer is more appealing and fun. Now your last resort is arguing the semantics of 'fun' versus 'balance.'

    You're wrong again, and your 10-second generator example proves it: u cannot separate game balance from the gameplay experience. You are looking at a spreadsheet of escape rates and calling the game 'balanced,' completely ignoring that the mechanics required to get those escapes are so miserable that hardly anyone wants to play the role.

    If 80% of the roles in a match are so unappealing that the devs have to offer massive incentives even with 10s queue times just to get people to endure it, your game isn't balanced. You've conceded on the data, the queues, and the fun. You're just arguing definitions now because you lost the debate, and there is no point in continuing this if you're just going to keep shifting the goalposts.

    Meanwhile, Killers are still waiting 40 minutes just to play. Speaking of which, the wait is so long that when I queued 35 minutes ago I wanted to play The Trapper, and now I want to play The Spirit but cannot switch lol

    Please link any post in which my point WASNT "dont conflate balance to queue times". Ill wait. My point has been this entire time that balance has very little to do with the 2v8 queue times. I brought up kills and escapes purely because its something each individual person can look at themselves comparing their own 1v4 stats to their own 2v8 stats and seeing they arnt dying way more in 2v8.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108451#Comment_4108451

    I play with competent, high-hour players in SWF. We go against similar killers with 4 slowddowns almost every match and lose more than we win. And I wouldn't really call it the bare minimum. Survivor is much harder to learn. The bare minimum in this game is at least 1k hours of experience and that's a lot to ask of many people.

    I already know when I'm against people I shouldn't have been with. I have dozens of screenshots of 4ks at 5 gens to remind me. I don't need to throw to find out. I'm not sure what that proves though. Play a killer I don't like or know well with no perks against the efficient meta players I often get? Of course that'll go badly. I'd have similar results if I went perkless as surv against those 4 showdown meta p100 killers with 5k+ hours.

    To clarifie do you mean losing most matches with swf overall or just when facing killer with 4 slow down perks?

  • @Deathstroke said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108456#Comment_4108456

    To clarifie do you mean losing most matches with swf overall or just when facing killer with 4 slow down perks?

    Both, because most of my matches are SWF and most of my matches are killers with four slowdowns.

  • @cogsturning said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/4108639#Comment_4108639

    Not sure how a theory can be in bad faith, nor do I know what my bad faith goal would be in this case, but there are mains just in this forum alone that vehemently hate the role they don't like. They treat the two sides like warring religions. We've even had some killer mains say they actively try to get their teammates killed when they play survivor and that they think it's funny. I see it in my killer matches too, people who are intentionally causing problems for no obvious reason, often resulting in whole teams giving up. Do I know they're killer mains? No. But I've simply seen more of it since the system came to 1v4. My last session had two of these people in different matches. If the killer queue is only five minutes you can easily troll for 10k blood points and be in your killer lobby faster. Free points and spreading some chaos is probably better to some than waiting. Acting like this community is full of angels who would never cause problems is just unrealistic.

    "Do I know they're killer mains? No. But I've simply seen more of it since the system came to 1v4"

    That literally is bad faith. Assuming that actions that happened after play while you wait are happening because of salty killer players when survivors sandbagging each other has existed for ages. That's like saying the horrible killer duos who don't know how to play are survivor mains in disguise trying to ruin the 2v8 killer experience, that's just not true.

  • I think something a lot of people are overlooking here is that killer is just the more interesting role.

    Like, once you've learned survivor that's that aside from occasional new perks, which killers also get. Survivors are technically just skins of each other with no changes to gameplay. Killers, though, have far more identity mostly due to them having their own individual powers that you can master.

    There's also an event going on right now, which always tend to mess up the que times. Especially 2v8, since that's the only time killers can play with a teammate.

1 2 3 4