How could we fix Decisive Strike without making it useless?

This is just what I think could be beneficial to Decisive Strike, and make it less oppressive in situations when killers can't do anything, like when someone is downed in an exit gate, but they have Decisive Strike, which the killer can't do anything about. Please send feedback, I greatly appreciate suggestions.

Decisive Strike will activate when you are pulled off the hook, this perk is activated for 40 seconds. This perk deactivates, if any survivor except for yourself is damaged in any way. Whenever you are picked up from the dying state, you will have to hit a skill check to escape. Decisive Strike will not activate if you are grabbed from an action, or from a locker. This would fix most of the situations in which Decisive Strike is uncounterable.

Another solution I've thought of is

Decisive Strike doesn't activate when you are grabbed from an action or a locker, Decisive Strike does not proc when the last generator is powered.

These are just thoughts to make Decisive Strike less oppressive, but to keep it's ability to punish tunnelling, not give survivors invincibility from being hooked for 60 seconds. Please, give your feedback, and suggest your ideas as well.

Thanks.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/890393#Comment_890393

    Survivors control where they get downed -- not the killer. When I have DS and I know I'm about to go down and the gates are close to being powered (I.E., one generator left) -- I make sure I go down on the side of the map where one of the gates exists in, which is often not very hard, even if the gates are both on just one side of the map, that's at least 3 sides of the map and the middle where you can have access to one gate to escape from in 95% of cases.

    Even if a survivor gets hooked far, far away from a gate, the existence of borrowed time as well as the fact many survivors will body block you both towards the hook and will body block for the survivor who just got unhooked is a very real thing and very often happens because if you haven't tunneled at all during the game, that means they're all are going to have DS so if they get downed and rescue the person who just got off the hook, the person who just got rescued can save one other person and again, we go back to square one where they both just crawl away.

    Your solution of "just hook them far away from the gate" is incredibly unrealistic against any survivor group who's half decent at the game and isn't lacking a few brain cells. Hoping the survivors are literally bad and stupid isn't a valid counter to the perk, nor does it change the fact that the perk is just poorly designed in the first place where it allows this kind of behavior to be a thing.

    Decisive Strike isn't even a balanced perk because it was buffed to stun for 5 seconds due to the fact enduring could be used to counter it as a consideration, and then they took away the counter, yet kept the stun timer at 5 seconds. At the very least, the stun timer should be re-adjusted with the fact that enduring cannot be considered as a counter to it anymore.

    @Sairek

    In your explanation you described going from point A to B when using DS to guarantee a successful escape. As if every single match plays the same for some reason. Variables do exist you know. Which is why I listed the different scenarios of what could be for/against you (gates location, LoS etc.) You can believe that it happens 95% of the time but I am not buying it. I’m in red ranks and I see VERY skilled killers who would rather eat the DS early and know exactly what they need to do to secure that one kill and even snowball at times.

    Hooking them far away from the gate works better than not don’t you think? I mean it only takes common sense to know that. If you get a group of people even with someone with BT. You can still hit the person unhooking and make sure you down them, not the person with the endurance status. I’ve done it and it works.

    Even without enduring, there is a lot of evidence that you can counter it and you only need to watch a good streamer or play in red ranks to realize this.

    Also assuming that people are just going to keep unhooking each other to proc their DS’s is kind of silly. You would think that by that point someone is on death hook, which if they are their DS is going bye-bye. Of course, this is hypothetically speaking since much of this is dependent on the skill or the killer.

  • - Timer activates for 60 seconds after an unhook.

    - If slugged, the timer pauses.

    - When someone else gets on a hook while DS is active, the Perk deactivates.

    - If you are slugged while DS is active and someone is being put on a hook, the Perk will pick you up from the dying state and deavtivate. (Not disabled until you miss or hit it, just deactivated)

  • As a red rank killer, I don't find it a problem at all. I've been lucky that I have not yet run into it accidentally and the only thing that's annoying is the exit gate thing but that's fair play. There's nothing that says someone can't use it in a very optimized way. It's not like the perk was designed exclusively for being tunneled, if that were the case then it should work more than once. I just think a lot of killer Mains get salty when someone escapes at the exit gate and tea bags. I don't care about any of that stuff, some matches I get four some matches I get three some matches everyone escapes that's part of the game. It would be so boring if every game I got all four people or always Escape or always died. The existing version has a lot of prerequisites for it to trigger and it only works once. I don't see why people want to further convolute the perk.

  • About the only thing I would like to see changed is for the duration that it is active reduced from 60 seconds to 45 seconds. I would be fine with that 45 second timer refreshing if the survivor is downed while it is active. But if you weren't downed within 45 seconds of being pulled off a hook then you weren't tunneled.

  • imo as a survivor main, when someone else is hooked cut it off BUT... if youre seudo tunneled and slugged it shouldnt turn off. once your team picks u up then it shuts off

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/891225#Comment_891225

    I play in red ranks, I've seen people play in red ranks. I've seen killers go through the odds to beat DS, and then I've seen good squads use DS effectively to beat even some of the best killers who play this game.

    As you say, variables exist, but I don't believe there should be a set of variables where it's impossible for the killer to do anything because the survivor team played optimally, got their generators done in 4 minutes, and the killer can't capitalize on it because 4 people still have DS.

    @Sairek

    I mean, if the team played optimal why would you deny their reward?

    There is no scenario where a killer Or a survivor would find themselves unable to do anything unless they actually made a bad play first... and even then I would argue that they can come back from it.

    Simply having DS does not mean the survivor is going to get a chance to stab the killer. The fact that there are different outcomes in teams where DS was in play shows that it is possible to counter it and it isn’t as broken as people are saying here.

  • Decisive is good and balanced rn. It's no longer a staple and honestly quite easy to counter. If you don't like having people with ds active at an open exit gate maybe you should be less sweaty for kills. They got out, get over it. Survivors have to get over an impossible to find totem

  • There are lots of things that could be done.

    Decreasing the time it stays active. A whole minute of hook immunity is way too much, it punishes killers who aren't tunneling and creates situations where they can leave the exit gates without being possibly stopped. Also, there is no real way of countering it when combined with Unbreakable.

    Make so it doesn't trigger during locker grabs (because there is no counter to it).

    Make so it get's deactivated when another survivor is hooked (because it means the killer wasn't "tunneling" that survivor).

    And also: DS should NOT activate on self-unhooks. There have been plenty of games where I hooked the last two survivors, one of them escaped the hook with that 4% chance and got immediatly downed, but I was forced to wait a whole minute just watching the survivor crawl to prevent the person from getting up again via DS. It's unfun and completely unnecessary.

  • Getting deactivated when another survivor gets hooked is actually a good idea. I feel like the devs might implement this if DS starts seeing too much use again

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    Decisive is good and balanced rn. It's no longer a staple and honestly quite easy to counter. If you don't like having people with ds active at an open exit gate maybe you should be less sweaty for kills. They got out, get over it. Survivors have to get over an impossible to find totem

    The gate immunity is a part of the problem, another is the fact if you hop in a locker with DS, you're either going to get out free, or you're going to wastes about 50 seconds.

    Bringing up other problems that another side has to face isn't an argument either, we can't address every problem in a singular post, I have my beliefs on totem spawns and maybe one day I'll post a thread about it, but for now, DS is on the table. And locker DS is uncounterable except for waiting and having little pressure.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    Getting deactivated when another survivor gets hooked is actually a good idea. I feel like the devs might implement this if DS starts seeing too much use again

    This could be a great idea as well, and is the most likely that they will add if they ever changed it, but the locker problem would still remain, same with the exit gate problem. It would be a great step in the right direction though.

  • Nothing, leave it alone.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/891773#Comment_891773

    The gate immunity is a part of the problem, another is the fact if you hop in a locker with DS, you're either going to get out free, or you're going to wastes about 50 seconds.

    Bringing up other problems that another side has to face isn't an argument either, we can't address every problem in a singular post, I have my beliefs on totem spawns and maybe one day I'll post a thread about it, but for now, DS is on the table. And locker DS is uncounterable except for waiting and having little pressure.

    Yes these are things DS does. Thank you for telling me. If you don't want DS to be in the game that's your opinion

  • @Malkhrim said:

    There are lots of things that could be done.

    Decreasing the time it stays active. A whole minute of hook immunity is way too much, it punishes killers who aren't tunneling and creates situations where they can leave the exit gates without being possibly stopped. Also, there is no real way of countering it when combined with Unbreakable.

    Make so it doesn't trigger during locker grabs (because there is no counter to it).

    Make so it get's deactivated when another survivor is hooked (because it means the killer wasn't "tunneling" that survivor).

    And also: DS should NOT activate on self-unhooks. There have been plenty of games where I hooked the last two survivors, one of them escaped the hook with that 4% chance and got immediatly downed, but I was forced to wait a whole minute just watching the survivor crawl to prevent the person from getting up again via DS. It's unfun and completely unnecessary.

    I agree with this, the part about them unhooking themselves and you having to wait is extremely annoying, and had happened to me both killer and survivor.

  • @Usui said:

    Nothing, leave it alone.

    Word.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/891946#Comment_891946

    This could be a great idea as well, and is the most likely that they will add if they ever changed it, but the locker problem would still remain, same with the exit gate problem. It would be a great step in the right direction though.

    Devs ready stated this is not a change they will ever make. It is too unrealistic and unreliable. That would be a Drastic nerf.


    D.S. is fine imo.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892047#Comment_892047

    Yes these are things DS does. Thank you for telling me. If you don't want DS to be in the game that's your opinion

    I'm not saying I don't want DS in the game, I actually like the idea of a perk that helps protect against being targeted, it's just that it allows for people with DS active to hide in a locker and have uncontested invincibility, with the only counter being wasting 50 or so seconds of your time as a killer, which if you know survivors, will most likely allow them to get a significant portion of the generators done.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/891602#Comment_891602

    Why deny their reward?

    How about we look at it the other way around:

    Why deny the survivor from being punished when they make a bad play?

    Any other time I would make such a play at the end game, both I and the survivor I rescued would be going on the hook. We both have DS though, so we both get rewarded for what would otherwise be an absolutely atrocious play and just crawl out the exit gate together.

    I didn't "play well" doing this. I knew there was no risk and no way the killer could pick me up to hook me again. I knew I couldn't be punished no matter how stupidly I played, even if I was grabbed during the unhooking process. Worst case scenario I don't get the unhook and just crawl out.

    I don't find that very fair, I don't find it balanced and it certainly doesn't make me a skilled survivor simply because I equipped a passive.

    Rather than having to carefully plan my rescue and co-ordinate together with my teammates, I can just mindlessly run in by myself, go for the unhook, and just crawl out with the guy I literally just farmed with no consequences to either of us because if the killer tries to retaliate it's their fault and they should have "JusT nOt tuNnELed"

    @Sairek

    Just because they use DS doesn’t mean they made a bad play.

    You keep bringing up the same singular scenario “Two survivors using DS one of them save” I don’t know who you’ve played against but seriously... any good killer knows that you don’t pick up someone who just went in for the save... and at least not right away. I’ve explicitly left someone on the ground only to be followed by a DC because their DS was denied.

    The mere fact that they are playing risky doesn’t mean that they won or will win. A bad play is a bad play DS or not.

    I had this conversation with you before and it got nowhere. As long as your views remain in the “DS is only a tunneling perk” realm we will probably never see eye to eye because that’s where a lot of your points are stemming from.

    I don’t think DS is only a tunneling perk so I will use it as I see it fit to my strategy. You’re encouraged to go for somebody else you’re not forced to.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892057#Comment_892057

    I'm not saying I don't want DS in the game, I actually like the idea of a perk that helps protect against being targeted, it's just that it allows for people with DS active to hide in a locker and have uncontested invincibility, with the only counter being wasting 50 or so seconds of your time as a killer, which if you know survivors, will most likely allow them to get a significant portion of the generators done.

    if they hop in a locker you can just walk away, or maybe take the stun. These are both much better than sitting still for 30+ seconds

  • @Micheal_Myers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892052#Comment_892052

    Devs ready stated this is not a change they will ever make. It is too unrealistic and unreliable. That would be a Drastic nerf.

    D.S. is fine imo.

    DS I can agree, is fine in most situations, but there are certain situations where nothing can be done, as I've brought up several times, lockers, hop in one with Decisive, killer either has to eat the stun and throw off his gameplay flow, leave them alone, also throwing off his gameplay flow, or wait 50 or so seconds, which also throws off his gameplay flow, this is generally the main problem with it. I can agree in more situations DS is fine. But some aren't, and we should address that.

  • @Waffleyumboy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892072#Comment_892072

    if they hop in a locker you can just walk away, or maybe take the stun. These are both much better than sitting still for 30+ seconds

    I can agree those bandaid the problem, but they still throw off your game and can cause you to lose a game due to it, I agree they are better than waiting, but waiting is the only true counterplay that allows you to kill the survivor in the locker, which is an unfavorable option. I wanted to propose a change to make Decisive Strike less oppressive in those situations, and make it actually for anti tunneling.

  • Reduce the timer on it from 60 to 40 seconds.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892069#Comment_892069

    DS I can agree, is fine in most situations, but there are certain situations where nothing can be done, as I've brought up several times, lockers, hop in one with Decisive, killer either has to eat the stun and throw off his gameplay flow, leave them alone, also throwing off his gameplay flow, or wait 50 or so seconds, which also throws off his gameplay flow, this is generally the main problem with it. I can agree in more situations DS is fine. But some aren't, and we should address that.

    A locker..? Well were you tunneling them first? Then theres your answer.

  • @Micheal_Myers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892080#Comment_892080

    A locker..? Well were you tunneling them first? Then theres your answer.

    Well when they're the last person in the trial, or the person who saved them is a Claudette who vanished, can we call that tunneling?

    What if they're taking hits for their team when they have DS, is that tunneling?, What if they're doing gens in my face and they get in a locker when I get close, is that tunneling.

  • @SammyWasabi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892108#Comment_892108

    Well when they're the last person in the trial, or the person who saved them is a Claudette who vanished, can we call that tunneling?

    Well yeah..

    Technically.


    And jumping off the hook as the last survivor is unlikely.

    And D.S. doesn't activate in E.G.C that often. I would know, I run it. Lol.


    Plus Claudettes... who vanish kinda want attention in the E.G.C sometimes...

  • @Micheal_Myers said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/892124#Comment_892124

    Well yeah..

    Technically.

    And jumping off the hook as the last survivor is unlikely.

    And D.S. doesn't activate in E.G.C that often. I would know, I run it. Lol.

    Plus Claudettes... who vanish kinda want attention in the E.G.C sometimes...

    Another problem is when they pull the survivor off of a hook with DS up next to an exit gate, if I pick up the person that was just on the hook I would be tunneling correct? But if I picked up the survivor with DS, I would get stabbed, which means I was tunneling. Taking hits for team mates because you have uncontested invincibility from a pickup for the duration, I don't think the killer chasing other survivors and you running into the killer to take hits is tunneling.

  • Keep it as is but make it not go down during a chase and instantly deactivate if another survivor is hooked.

  • new decisive strike needs a nerf. make it deactivite after someone else has been hooked at least. or bring back juggling.

  • Halve its duration make it not tick down during a chase or while slugged.

    ez pz

  • No need to fix something that isn't broken.

  • @Awakey said:

    You don't. It's fine just the way it is. You downed them with DS in a gate? Oh well. Hope they miss, and if not, eat the stun and move on to the next match.

    Never once have I complained about DS.

    I never complained about it but these suggestions are actually pretty good.

  • @fcc2014 said:

    DS is a one time use situational perk. It has already been nerfed move on.

    It's still too strong.

  • Should every survivor perk be garbage? It helps prevent being tunneled. It has a 60s cool down, Slug if you don't want to get hit with it.

  • Cut the timer down to 30 secs maximum.

    Unproc upon another player getting hooked unless you're down.

    Allow multiple procs per game.

    If killer has mori, find a locker.

  • interesting Ideas.

  • @fcc2014 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/896206#Comment_896206

    Should every survivor perk be garbage? It helps prevent being tunneled. It has a 60s cool down, Slug if you don't want to get hit with it.

    This is assuming they want the perk to be garbage, DS prevents tunneling a good portion, but some times, you're not getting tunneled, and you immediately get on a generator, and when the killer comes over, you just hop into a locker, he wasn't tunneling, he was off chasing and hooking other survivors, but he still got punished for "tunneling"

    And at Endgame, where they get downed outside the gate, you can't slug and then kill them, because they'd just crawl out. These ideas I proposed are to make the perk actually counter tunneling.

  • @TKTK said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/890048#Comment_890048

    How is a killer to know a person has DS still when they unhook someone else? How people won't acknowledge that issue, I'll never know.

    How can survivors know if a killer has NOED, etc

    Play as if they do. Don't tunnel! Or slug if you feel you have to tunnel!

  • It seems like baby killers are complaining when its not their way. DS is fine the way it is. Leave it alone. Do like what baby killers do and slug. I hate when killers do that cause its a big disadvantage against survivors cause then killers are like taking the game hostage but what can we do its not gonna change. Id say leave DS and work on something more important.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    DS is fine.

    If you got hit with DS one of two things happened:

    1) You were tunneling.

    2) The survivor purposely let you down them to DS you. You took the bait. Therefore you got outplayed.

    It's really not hard to avoid DS. I slug like crazy when I expect a DS, going so far as to just leave the person on the ground to find someone else. Sometimes I just flat out eat the DS, especially if I'm Nurse or Spirit. Go ahead, DS me, I'll just catch you again in 10 seconds or less.

    It's really not hard to get around.

    "Outplayed" like old Spirit using her collision to bodyblock/confirm hits on survivors?

    If you got hit by old Spirit, one of two things happened


    1. You were not paying attention to her husk not moving


    2. She tricked you into thinking she was phasing and you fell for the bait


    Seriously, why do random guess scenarios only get to benefit survivors? Don't get me wrong, spirit needed some of the needs she got.. but some weren't THAT necessary. Maybe nurse would have been a better example because she got slightly gutted

  • Kid, you're crying over Totems. You need all the crutch scenarios you can get, apparently

  • Why would you want to? That does not follow the DBD strategy. When something "needs" fixed that is what you're supposed to do, just make it useless. Look at legion and nurse for examples.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/891049#Comment_891049

    Doesn't matter, killer should be paying attention to how long it's been since they hooked you. And jumping in a locker is a dead give-away you have DS. If the killer grabs you that is 100% their fault. You baited them, they took it. OUTPLAYED.

    And there is a counter play. Slug them. Go for another survivor. Slugging is super effective at slowing the game, especially if you have Sloppy. I had a game as Spirit on Ward the other day, I returned to a hook and saw the Feng jump into a locker. Even though it was her death hook and I already tunneled her once kinda, I just said okay screw you and went for the Ace instead. There were no gens near her and she was so scared to leave the locker I'm pretty sure she stayed in there until the Ace went down. I still won that game easily.

    failing several times in a row but only escaping because you had a perk equipped that rewards failure is hardly outplaying anyone

  • As a killer main myself I personally think DS is fine and fair as is,most of the time I attack a rescuer and not the previously hooked survivor anyway

  • DS is fine and doesn't need to be fixed.

    Adrenaline on the other hand...

  • It's fine the way it is. It's a perk, meaning an advantage or something extra when used properly. Otherwise, what's the point? Might as well just remove all perks, because in certain situations they create an advantage.

  • Nerfing survivors 3 years in a row. Buffing killers, perks and hitboxes, especially with Ded Servers. Here we go again.

  • @yandere777 said:

    If you are unhooked by another survivor it activates for 60 seconds. If you are healed to full health, take part in a completed gen or down from a protection hit the perk deactivates.

    Like this theres still some cheese but there's also counterplay. Getting full healed will basically sorta counter its effectiveness at endgame if you have adrenaline proc off hook. A protection his is obvious, you aint being tunneled if you are literally protecting someone.

    I would only go for this if the timer was extended to 70-80-90 seconds.

  • @WhoDatNinja said:

    It seems like baby killers are complaining when its not their way. DS is fine the way it is. Leave it alone. Do like what baby killers do and slug. I hate when killers do that cause its a big disadvantage against survivors cause then killers are like taking the game hostage but what can we do its not gonna change. Id say leave DS and work on something more important.

    "what can we do" Against slugging? Many things.

  • A survivor doing a generator and whenever you attempt to attack him he goes into a locker, not sure what the counter is except for wasting time to camp the locker.

  • @HarryToeknuckles said:

    It's fine the way it is. It's a perk, meaning an advantage or something extra when used properly. Otherwise, what's the point? Might as well just remove all perks, because in certain situations they create an advantage.

    It's not that it grants an advantage, it's that the advantage it gives is abusable in some situations, and there isn't counterplay in that situation like knocking somebody down and they are next to an open exit gate.

1 2 3 4