Killer Shouldn't Be Able To Close Hatch

As I said in response to another post:

The killer being unable to close the hatch but the timer still existing would end hatch standoffs because the survivor can't just stand there and wait for the killer to hit him like in the past. The survivor HAS to go try a gate or die by the entity. I would prefer this method over the current since the current is one-sided, boring, and in the killers favor unless by some miracle the gates are on opposite sides of one of the large maps, which they rarely are.

This would put pressure on both killer and survivor, as well as add suspense which in my opinion is now greatly lacking. Killer would have to decide if they want to camp hatch or check gates. Survivor would have to decide if going for a gate would be the better choice versus waiting for the killer (who probably knew where the hatch was already and ran straight to it) to leave the hatch.

Either way, the match would be over in 4 minutes with neither player feeling completely cheated and the match still leans slightly in killers favor since opening gates takes time and most survivors will probably try for hatch until time is about to run out.


Edit: I would prefer the timer to auto-start when there is one survivor left rather then have the killer be able to close the hatch.

Edit #2: Adding this vid (ignore DCs because they are not part of the discussion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYW7xMyqHok&t=1s

Comments

  • @liquidlight said:

    It's not an attempt to get free escapes. If anything the video proves killers get a free kill. EGC is not fine. That's why so many people are complaining about it. The timer is awesome. The idea behind it is great. But its flawed.

    Adapt like killers had to with DS & now MoM. If your team got wrecked, you deserve to die. Be THANKFUL the devs held your hand even more by making hatch spawn REGARDLESS!

  • That's ridiculous. No single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked. Survivors are individuals, not a unit (though they can act like one but that changes nothing). And you can't adapt to some situations because they're basically impossible to overcome.

  • @liquidlight what is the point of your video? Explain

  • @liquidlight said:

    That's ridiculous. No single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked. Survivors are individuals, not a unit (though they can act like one but that changes nothing). And you can't adapt to some situations because they're basically impossible to overcome.

    I went to sleep, came back, and this thread had grown by over 130 comments. Thus, I'm only gonna reply to this one.

    Before the EGC, I would've agreed with you. However, right now, if their team sucks, they can prepare by locating the hatch while their stupid teammates die. They can also choose to run builds beforehand that do not rely on their teammates (which I definitely recommend). They can adapt. They no longer need to rely on their teammates for the hatch or even the gates.

  • @liquidlight said:

    That's ridiculous. No single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked. Survivors are individuals, not a unit (though they can act like one but that changes nothing). And you can't adapt to some situations because they're basically impossible to overcome.

    Something tells me you dont understand how an assymetrical game works, its a 1v4 game not 1v1, if you get down to 1v1 before your objectives are complete then sorry to say but you lost accept that fact and take the shot at a hail mary play in the egc, its supposed to be a tense event with the odds stacked against you, a literal one last chance to escape, not a free escape handed to you for your TEAM losing.

    Also mind enlightening me how your suggestion is not a free escape? If i am playing killer in a world where your changes happened, how do i get that 4th kill? Ok i found the hatch first and a brief look around revealed no survivor, it only takes 20 seconds to open the doors unless the hatch and doors all spawned together i probably have time to check 1 of the 2 doors before he gets a door open, so a coin flip pick right i maybe win if he doesnt also know where the hatch is and has no pallets left, but if i pick wrong then he escapes, or he takes the hatch right after i left cause without aura reading/wall hacks he could be hanging out near the hatch (assuming that im not running whispers). I guess i could camp the hatch in a vain hope that they didnt just run to a gate but most likely result of that is it looping back to the first scenario, at some point the survivor went to a door i have to pick one, only difference is if i pick right there is less time on the timer for him to run back to hatch....

  • I wouldn’t mind them being able to if it wasn’t impossible to reopen without a key

  • @liquidlight said:

    That's ridiculous. No single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked. Survivors are individuals, not a unit (though they can act like one but that changes nothing). And you can't adapt to some situations because they're basically impossible to overcome.

    "Not a single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked." If your team sucked, you are probably going to die. This is literally the opposite of what hatch was like before EGC. Killers being denied their rightful kill. I already said what hatch is meant to be.

  • @moonlunn said:

    I wouldn’t mind them being able to if it wasn’t impossible to reopen without a key

    That makes closing it useless. Horrible idea.

  • You failed twice, so that means you take your punishment kindly

  • In the video, you would have made it out if you was against any other killer, just seems like bad luck.

  • @liquidlight said:

    Well, maybe one day the devs will share the data with us so we'll know if its unfair or not. At this time, it seems unfair. I have yet to see a survivor escape through a hatch without a key or open a gate and get away except for one time when the gates were on opposite sides of Red Forest. I'm not saying it's never happened. I'm just saying in the streams I've watched and games I've played it hasn't.

    I just like the idea of having more stimulating, suspenseful gameplay. The way it is now, it's not. Hatch gets closed, the survivor realizes they won't get a gate open in time or tries and fails and both survivor and killer stand there waiting for the entity to do its thing. That's boring.

    As survivor I found the hatch before the killer once, and then the last survivor apart from me was downed. I made it to the hatch, only because I already knew where it was and was fairly close to it. In any situation where the hatch hasn't spawned yet, I've yet to see a survivor find it first.

  • Ok that guy who said disable hatch closing but keep timer you're spot on. I'm not a get on the Internet and complain guy. I'm too lazy to even report bugs but the update to this game is agregious. I dont know why the delevploer is going out their way to ruin this game. I am a above average survivor. Idk how many times I get stuck with ######### partners who die almost immediately because one guy gets hooked then they all forgot the object is to escape. So they go try and help then end up getting down and I'm the last man around. If you dont have a key you have 0 chance to win if the killer closes the hatch. You will never be able to open a door in time. Its truly not fair. I shouldnt be penalized because of poor play of others. Disable hatch close & leave the timer. Otherwise this is a pointless game and people will eventually quit

  • @Sonic249 said:

    Ok that guy who said disable hatch closing but keep timer you're spot on. I'm not a get on the Internet and complain guy. I'm too lazy to even report bugs but the update to this game is agregious. I dont know why the delevploer is going out their way to ruin this game. I am a above average survivor. Idk how many times I get stuck with ######### partners who die almost immediately because one guy gets hooked then they all forgot the object is to escape. So they go try and help then end up getting down and I'm the last man around. If you dont have a key you have 0 chance to win if the killer closes the hatch. You will never be able to open a door in time. Its truly not fair. I shouldnt be penalized because of poor play of others. Disable hatch close & leave the timer. Otherwise this is a pointless game and people will eventually quit

    Oh well, no one wants a 20 minute hatch standoff ever again.

    Learn to hide while the terror radius comes and goes when you're near the gate and start opening it as soon as you see him leave to the next.

  • EGC heavily favors the Killer, they can easily find Hatch due to speed and freedom to move about aggressively. They see the Exit Gate icon highlighted in perpetuity, often both are so close anyway. Why not highlight it for a few seconds and then vanish? That would provide at least some opportunity for a Survivor to Escape and the Killer to do something other than patrol all the map auras. People take about holding hands? Seeing Auras all game is exactly that.

  • I play both sides and the stuff about doors spawning close is exaggerated greatly. Survivors just want easy escapes.

    If my team and I fail to do gens, and killer finds hatch, and the doors are too close together, then gg killer.

  • @Orion said:

    If the killer couldn't close the hatch, it would just make the hatch a free escape for survivors once again.

    I think how he described it you could still grab the survivor. And since the EGC timer is running, a potantional "standoff" would last 3 minutes at most.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    So what you're suggesting is not being able to close the hatch so you can have a stand off with a limited timer? It's almost like the whole point of EGC was to eliminate stand offs and hostage games? Did you even try, just try, to think this entire thing through before posting?

    I think his goal was to create a 3rd spot to patrol: 2 gates + hatch, which gives the survivors a better chance. Once spottet it's gg anyway, survivor can't do much but confuse the killer a bit and jump in

  • As I said in response to another post:

    It's still possible to escape after the hatch has been closed.

    NMCKE playing Dead by Daylight: Special Edition. View more XboxOne clips at XboxClips.com


  • @Orion said:

    If the killer couldn't close the hatch, it would just make the hatch a free escape for survivors once again.

    literally why was this even a topic. Survivors don't need ANY more hand holding in this game

  • Itd be better if the killer closed the hatch and the gates had an cut the opening time by some this way the survivor actually had a chance and the killer isnt guaranteed a win, I'm a killer main and I win every time I close hatch, it just isnt fair

  • @luckyhall said:

    Itd be better if the killer closed the hatch and the gates had an cut the opening time by some this way the survivor actually had a chance and the killer isnt guaranteed a win, I'm a killer main and I win every time I close hatch, it just isnt fair

    but how much if the door is 10 sec survivors will camp it can leave. 15 is good i think.

  • @066 said:

    Whispers...

    Untitled Image

    There's also Purple and Red Keys

  • i agree

    because the killer have a total control of map.

  • Strongly disagree, don't know what you are expecting from the game, plus suspense still hits me,

    I knew where the hatch was in one map so I waited, all of my buddies left already, I went to the hatch and it was closed, had to run against time and my heart was beating as if I was the one running (great feeling)

    2 example, my buddies left via the gate again, I was able to get at one however it was the one closed, I tried to opened but premonition alerted me of the killer, so I went away however the timer was about to end, literally 10 seconds, I kept on running to the opened gate however I wasnt going to make it, while I was running I heard the hatch and made it thru

    3, suspense, nothing worst than being the last survivor alive and having to open either of the two gates, its basically I bet against the killer's choice, had to hold the engine to its completion while looking at the killer coming and then barely got away

  • @DarkGGhost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/717601#Comment_717601

    but how much if the door is 10 sec survivors will camp it can leave. 15 is good i think.

    I'd say somewhere between I'd say about 12 to 14 seconds

  • @liquidlight said:

    That's ridiculous. No single survivor deserves to die because their team sucked. Survivors are individuals, not a unit (though they can act like one but that changes nothing). And you can't adapt to some situations because they're basically impossible to overcome.

    How is RNG impossible? I play nurse and spirit and it’s still 50/50 on whether or not i find the hatch first, worse if it was a close game where the hatch has already spawned and the survivors know about it. The endgame mechanics could be better, but they are in a much better place than they were with the dreadful hatch standoffs.

  • There is so much in this thread I cannot address all of it, but here's my general 2 cents:

    -Although individual units, survivors are a TEAM. If the team does poorly, you should only survive with a super clutch play or a huge blunder from the killer. Ergo, you'll die 99% of the time, as is proper.

    -All points or arguments based on using certain perks, items or add-ons are invalid, we need to talk balance on a vanilla level first.

    -OP, your proposed solution changes absolutely nothing. Let me explain:

    >If the killer cannot close the hatch but finds it first, they have to guard 3 exit points for 2 minutes with no room for error or the survivor has an easy escape. This is pre EGC all over again with the added benefit for survivor that no gen needed to be done for hatch to spawn and open.

    >Assuming the timer triggers when one survivor is left, killer cannot close hatch but can grab you off of it. What exactly is your plan as survivor to escape? The killer has to unnecessarily wait for 2 minutes while making sure to be close enough to you to grab from the hatch or gate without hitting you and letting you jump on the hatch. How is that more fun/engaging/fair?

    What you propose is the bastard child of pre-EGC and post-EGC were either we have standoffs again, the survivor gets an easy escape or the killer is forced to wait 2 minutes for his kill anyway for no other reason than petulance from a survivor.

    I'm sorry that even though most people are trying to explain to you why your argument is flawed, you refuse to be open minded and perhaps accept your initial thoughts were not correct. We understand what you are saying, we see how it can seem unfair to you, but we're also giving valid and solid counter-arguments that you just flat out ignore/dismiss.

  • i mean its unfair either way. if the killer closes the hatch theres no way to escape. if the hatch is open the survivor can just m1 spam.

  • @TAG said:

    I'm just not convinced that removing the Hatch closing is something that needs to happen. Doing something about the Gate spawns or something, maybe. But I'm not convinced that the race to the Hatch is an unfair one.

    I agree! There should a better gate spawning. Having survivor 3 escape chance is just too much. In addition the survivor can still mindgame the killer with the gate, because the killer have to decide which gate protect more.

  • I dunno smells kind of entitled to me?

  • who resurrected this gem from May of 2019

  • "Killer shouldn't be able to close hatch."

    "Survivor shouldn't be able to get a match in any less than thirty minutes."

  • @liquidlight said:

    The definition of a free escape is not what you said @ShyN3ko because as much as you don't want to believe it that's actually incredibly rare. Most people play the game to... play the game.

    @fluffybunny I could say the same to you. Killers aren't entitled to that last kill. At least the method I suggested makes it more fair. Right now, it's not and trying to say otherwise is a lie. The solo survivor is at a huge disadvantage.

    Oh im sorry, is the killer suppose to be fair to survivors? Should the last survivor alive on their team that got destroyed be given a fair chance to escape? No. The killer was given the option to close hatch to avoid the dreaded hatch stand off and to be able to start the end game collapse, yes it can be difficult to escape but it is possible. If the hatch wasn’t closable all the survivor had to do was find the hatch and if they see the killer on it, just stay hidden till the killer leaves to check a door, way too stupid. The way it is now is perfect.

  • @liquidlight said:

    Again, it wouldn't be a free escape because the timer exists. Meaning the survivor HAS to do something. They can't wait there.

    Also, the hatch race isn't a race. Killers are inherently faster than survivors and will almost always find and get to the hatch first to close it.

    who said it needs to be 50/50?

    i mean survivors already messed up the main objective

  • yoooo urban evasion selfcare meghead saying how the game should work

  • What's with these necro's lately.

    This thread is a half year old. Please be respectfull and give it it's deserved rest

  • Not even half a year old. It's more than one and a half years old. This was back from the time when EGC first came out.

  • No thank you, this is an extremely ill conceived opinion. Didn't think it out, clearly

1 2 3 4 ›