DBD Hot Takes
I was curious, what are some of the hot takes that the community has on dbd? I feel like everyone has them and I definitely know I have a couple. Like mine are:
- Nemesis is well adapted into dbd, people just don't like it because they like the image of Nemesis with a flamethrower better. He's killed more people with his tentacle though.
- Map offerings can have a place in dbd, but they need to be reworked, it should not be a guarantee (map offerings are an opinion of mine that have changed a lot over time).
- There is no permanent solution to the grind in dbd or map balance
- Lithe is not the most brain dead exhaustion perk, it's Sprint Burst, the only reason people think it's Lithe is because the requirement to vault makes you feel like you did something and it granted you a nice reward
- Original Chapters are better than Licenses and the fact that the game needs licenses to stay alive is sad
- dbd is in it's best state now in terms of balance and the only reason people think differently is because of the nostalgia of older dbd
- There is no excuse for all original killers to not have unique lobby, chase, and terror radii themes, the excuse should be a license only thing, seriously there's only 4 original killers that don't have all 3 and that's Trapper, Wraith, Huntress, and Plague and actually if they just gave those killer the themes, it might convince some of the harder to convince license holders to allow special themes for their killers
- Since so many killers at this point either have an obvious tell or unique music, unique hooks should also make a return since their main reason for disappearing after like 3 major patches was because it would give away the killer before seeing them, but that's 99% of killers nowadays anyways with the amount of hud elements and other items that spawn
- The devs shouldn't announce things months or even a year in advance, the amount of hype the announcement gave will be gone by the time whatever it is (give it a cosmetic collaboration, dlc, or whatnot), the only exception is for dlc but only if it's the actual next dlc to drop, if it's not, save it, if you can't tell us what the next dlc is, I don't want to know what's 2, 3, 4 chapters down the line (looking at you FNAF)
- Speaking of FNAF, this might just be a fear, but I think it'll be the worst thing to happen to dbd, whenever dbd has massive releases like that, the game breaks BAD, and FNAF is by far the largest thing to ever come to dbd and I don't think with how the devs are now in terms of length of time to fix bugs as just one reason, that we are ready for what's going to happen with FNAF
- Added one: I can't believe this is a hot take, but at this point I think it is. Not liking a killer is not a reason to dc or throw the match. If you're going to quit because it's not a killer you like, play killer then you can play with the killer of your choice all you want or just don't ready up. We all have killers we don't like facing, but some of us put up with it.
Now I'm curious what some of your hot takes are
Comments
My biggest Honest hottake:
Most dbd killers rely on Slowdown way too much and can't win without it. they crutch on it harder than any other perk in the game. Don't needa stack 4 Slowdowns every game even on S-tier killers. Low tier killers get a pass on 2 or more but 4 is overkill
weirdly enough, 2v8 really is the most chill of the game modes we've had, which is weird because you'd think it's the one all the sweatlords go to
The game is starting to get bloated with content that is incomplete or buggy (ahem... ahem... Houndmaster).
3 releases per year with no mid-chapters would be ok.
Agree with the take that original chapters are mostly better. The licenses are nice, but they end up feeling very similar.
Autohaven is not balanced at all and is boring to play on
Houndmaster is slept on
Lery’s and Hawkins are good maps
I've got a couple:
Shanoa and Simon Belmont should've been legendaries and should still be later even with the cosplays in the game.
A large portion of the player base is neurodivergent and the developers still aren’t sure how to deal with … that.
Hot takes huh? Mm…
I actually enjoy the MMR system.
The FNAF release will bring in a lot of children. Which in turn will make the playerbase even more bratty and obnoxious than it already was lmao.
It's not their job to deal with that…
A hot take? ok here I go:
Demogorgon is not a fun killer to play against. (In my opinion Ofc)
forgot to mention we NEED shirtless Jeff.
This is not a request but a Requirement.
And he better not get a 6 pack, let the man he his dad bod self.
Maybe for the shack there can be Oblivious or some Haste effect when you run Territorial and the basement is there? 🤔
Solo queue isn't that bad
Survivors dying more often than not makes playing surv more fun and is thematically appropriate
People knowing their MMR would be a bad thing
Being "good" at DBD isn't skill based at all really, but knowledge based. Which is one of the reasons its rough for new players
Maximum efficiency/high level gameplay is boring AF, as unpredictability makes the game more fun
Could you elaborate? I’m really not sure what you mean with this.
Chucky definitely needs the old scamper back. It's like dude, he couldn't even get you at a short pallet loop, WITH the 2% increased Haste add-on, if you just cut the loop tight and/or mindgamed well enough. And the pushback against him having that ability is basically, "He can get me at loops. That's unfair." It's the Wraith/Deathslinger nerfs all over again.
Definitely agree on the chapter buildup. If the next chapter just released all of a sudden, it's like "Whoa! What's this?!" Exciting, you know. Unfortunately, chalk it up to the devs' incompetence or spaghetti code, every time a new chapter goes live even with prior testing, the game gets massively screwed up. Reintroduced bugs, lag, perks not working, and killers not working. And the ptb for the most part is just there so that survivors can say, "Knee cap this killer!" earlier than release, so that they don't even have to deal with the killer at their strongest on live, and then still have the gall to later say, "He's still OP!" Look at Chucky or Dracula or new Freddy.
I really don't like Houndmaster's design. She was a waste of the pirate killer slot, the hound master killer slot, and the black lady killer slot, all in one fell swoop. Her gameplay is mostly fine.
Hatch is a bad mechanic that does more harm than good.
Solo queue is bad in that you almost always get inefficient teammates. When you don't, it's fine.
How would MMR being shown be a bad thing? Because to me, all it does is enable the entire playerbase to say, "I'm high MMR, so I know what's best for the game!" Can you prove it? "No, but I'm definitely high MMR! That's why I face OP stuff like Wraith and BBQ all the time!"
DBD is definitely skill over advantage. There's just a lot to learn. Not too much so that people with 1000+ hours still don't know what they're doing, but yet here we are.
Myself included probably. But I was gaslit for years that killer fov was fine until they changed it, or that auto-aim didn't screw you out of hits. Now I know I wasn't crazy, so now I'm not so sure.
I'm not even gonna comment on the majority of all that, all i'm going to say is Chucky specifically shouldn't have had his Scamper removed, not because of any aspects of strength, but solely because of it's importance to his character.
And i highly disagree with all that.
Houndmaster to me is anything but a waste of any slots, her design is much better than whatever generic, uninspired and rehashed blackbeard-esque pirate getup slop that hollywood have carved into people's brains, which has cemented itself in pop culture whenever people associate anything with pirates at this point and i firmly stand by that.
That's for sure, although I can't imagine how much more childish the playerbase can get. Maybe I've been facing a lot of kids, and it's why when I call someone out for being toxic, they just respond with stuff that doesn't require ANY intelligence like, "Noob kid lol!"
Oh, solo queue is bad because your teammates often suck, but it's not the hopeless gulag some people make it out to be.
I don't think MMR being visible would be good because it would do two things:
As far as skill goes, it's kind of semantics, but to me "skill" means things like quick reflexes, quicker thinking, and the ability to work a controller/M&K in ways some people are just incapable of. Like technical skill. Like a gifted athlete.
Being good at DBD doesn't require that kind of skill. Yeah, there are people with tons of hours who aren't good, but I'd argue that is mostly because most players aren't really trying all that hard. I think that's the disconnect for a lot of people; really competitive people can't wrap their brain around the reality that most players are playing the game casually.
Of course the problem is that everyone of these people are all in the same matchmaking pot.
If a player is taking DBD seriously (which is a mistake, imo), game knowledge is miles more important than technical skill. DBD just isn't technically demanding. The mechanics are messy and loose. What it demands is that the player be a student of its almost endless array of idiosyncrasies. And that takes a long time, and is a task that never really ends.
And maybe you consider that skill, and that's fine. But anyone can do it.
Or just get to the skill floor with Nurse or Blight and tunnel, which is the shortest and laziest route of all to being "good".
I spend too much time thinking about game theory. To me, the developers have clearly shown they are trying to communicate with the community, but we can't really say they are successful or effective when we have evidence in the community there are still communication problems. I've been thinking why other people haven't noticed it the same way I have. I think it's a language barrier.
I agree with you — but I think their hands are tied. It's difficult to ignore a disconnect when you see it.
Skull Merchant doesn't get stealth and haste in the drone radius, hasn't in a long time.
Sad that this may be considered a “hot take” But I do believe the devs truly care about the game, and the community, and they do try to make it better. They have made some mistakes and some questionable choices (like the refusal of refund to the cosmetic issue) but I do believe they care.
I told my friend that's a comp player that self healing via Circle of Healing should only be applied to the user who brings it. I don't think that would have been too bad of a nerf when the previous Circle of Healing came out -- but I don't really mind the current version that it is.
I do think the whole bring Circle of Healing for ALL your team to self heal inside of it was broken though.
same actually they do listen and try to fix what they can.
I can agree with Lery's because I can loop well on Lery's but you lose me on Hawkins. ☠️
@jesterkind , even with it being absolutely gutted with Sprint Burst. I actually like to use Iron Will with Lithe, Dramaturgy, and whatever else exhaustion perk I have. It's definitely came in clutch, especially on my Claire Redfield as she's super loud.
@HerInfernalMajesty , I agree. MMR gets a lot of hate and I sometimes have a mixed experience. Yesterday, I came across three Sprint Burst users walking everywhere, which was frustrating. However, I have made really great friends from the MMR system and it's been a joy to play with people with a similar skill bracket that I have. Without MMR, you'd have people with so little hours and the games can be a toss-up on what you get imo. Now games are a lot more consistent for me with the odd hit or miss now.
@Thusly_Boned , interesting that you think DBD isn't skill based. I do agree that it is knowledge related, but there is definitely skill on both survivor and killers.
Survivors for looping, learning when to stealth, 99% Sprint Burst, optimal pathing, when to go for a save, when to commit to a gen, etc.
Same for killer on the area of when to drop chase, hiding your red stain, many people who play Wesker (as he has a learning curve to him imo). There is a lot of skill baked into learning killers — the counterpart for survivors knowing how to counter specific killers too.
That's fair, nothing you listed isn't true as far as being good at the game. But that's not how I personally would define high skill, but stuff that is knowledge based. It's just semantic differences here I think.
I sometimes fall into defining things narrowly, and often define it technically. Like to me the highest skill gamers are people who are elite at games that require lightning quick perception, reflexes, timing, etc. along with game sense for their respective games. These types of skills aren't really needed to be good at DBD, beyond the ability to work a controller or M&K at a rudimentary level.
An 80 year old could be great at DBD with enough learned game sense. Anyone can.
I think what frustrates a lot of people who come into DBD is that virtually none of the general gaming skill one develops over years and decades of gaming translates into DBD. Success in this game is all DBD specific game sense and RNG.
But if a person defines learned game sense as skill, that's totally fair. I'm just being semantically neurotic here.
it’s a cardinal sin to say apparently but I’ve never enjoyed playing against hillbilly regardless of his version
lerys is the best map in the game
some people are simply genuinely bad at this game and will never admit it
i also think FNAF release will probably mean the biggest uprising in milking licences and dbd being a horror fortnite more than ot ever was, and i am afraid that bugfixing will be completely set aside due to sheer focus to licences.
That's fair, I think with quick reflexes you could argue the ability to hit a vault at a precise moment - along with timing specific hits too. But I get your argument, even if I disagree that DBD is primarily knowledge based to a certain extent — it's definitely a hot take I'd feel so thanks for sharing. 🫡
One more from me.
Despite the dedication and skill of most comp and high level killers, balancing purely around them would make this game unplayable for ~80% of the playerbase and cause most of it to quit, potentially destroying the game as a whole.
Two more:
The original Freddy was unironically really good and if he released in the modern day people would scream that he's OP.
Perma invisibility when you're not asleep.
No limit to how often you can put people asleep.
A plethora of broken add-ons that nobody gave enough credit to. Old Class Photo revealing the auras of everyone just for sleeping someone is obnoxiously broken information.
A 50% slowdown on all actions.
Doctor's power is designed to exploit players with sensory problems. First he was risking the well being of players with epilepsy, and now he just makes matches miserable for players who can't handle a constant barrage of noise being spammed into their ears.
Yes I have just faced Doctor three times in a row. Why do you ask?
DBD would be long gone if it never got a single license. I know many think that's a hot take and I'll just put it here even though I'll never not believe it's a fact. Nobody will ever convince me that the shallow AF game play in DBD would've kept as many people as it has until now without the big horror icons in it. So there's my "hot take".
Eat an apple, he'll go away
This sucks though because like I personally said, I find original chapters to be better and I don't like that dbd needs the licenses in order to survive, but that's kind of the box they're put in because this type of game isn't easy to market, the never ending amount of iconic licenses help them out so much.
I don't like it either.. I want it to stand on it's own legs instead of piggybacking something in any way.. It'd be different if those things actually changed everything for the better, but all they do is add that iconic thing in while keeping the game exactly the same. Same bugs years later, same imbalances, same outdated graphics.. Seems like only competition is going to make this game improve.. Our comfort zones are our own worst enemy.. :/