DAVID KING IS OFFICIALLY GAY

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1519330593733021696?s=20&t=XS9IEADnHKZnTlflubMYHQ
References:............................................................................................................................................36

^ For those of you who don’t think this isn’t important at all. It’s a thesis that got the highest pass on why representation in media is important.

Lastly, before it’s brought up again:

image.jpeg

Courtesy of @GoodBoyKaru .

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    I have some views on this

    1. I think it’s fine I don’t really mind but
    2. i think this will backfire badly cause when Leatherfaces masks were removed they were removed cause people were being racist and only killing colored people.
    3. by announcing David is gay it’s pretty much enabling every Homophobic person to tunnel, camp and be toxic. This is going to end up like the leatherface situation again.(maybe not but it Could happen).

    ayo I'd rephrase the last 2 words of point 2 cos it has bad history. Just say POC instead :)

  • @Zozzy said:

    So instead of making a new character they just dumpstered an existing one that people may have their own ideas about.... cool.

    It's fine i guess. exceptionally lazy and will annoy people.

    So revealing a character is gay is 'dumpstering' them, okay. Try to be a little more subtle wit your homophobia next time.

    Also I thought people didn't like it when characters were revealed as gay too quickly since it's inorganic and 'shoving it down our throats'. David and Soldier 76 were both revealed in a good, fair way. People complaining are simply unhappy about having comfirmed LGBT+ characters in their 'safe space'.

  • @NVerde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922524#Comment_2922524

    Or... just a thought, it could be read as more 'true to life' in that you likely know many LGBTQIA2+ people or have encountered them in your life, and have maybe made some assumptions about them or thought they were one thing and discovered (or not) at a later stage that you were wrong. A lot of gay men aren't effeminate, super-obviously gay (though there's of course absolutely nothing wrong with those that are) and are assumed to be straight by people unless they are corrected. I know, being one of them.

    I think his complaint is grounded in the idea that it clearly wasn't what they were going for originally, but then they changed their mind/received advice or something along those lines and adapted the character rather than creating a character from scratch.

    While personally the change doesn't bother me, I do find it rather strange from a decision making standpoint. It's def more of a fanservicey kind of change (Judging from the community's behaviour toward the character I mean), which again is totally fine if you're a fan of that kind of thing

    End of the day BHVR can do whatever they want with their characters, if people are happy with it then so am I for the most part

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922540#Comment_2922540

    To be fair I'm pretty sure there's fanmade dbd dating simulators

    Well, this is cringe to me...

  • Very, very tacky move to just pick the one a lot of gay guys like when it's in his existing lore that he isn't gay. Comes off as very "oh well just slap on the gay tag to shut them up."

  • @Freudentrauma said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922475#Comment_2922475

    Yeah Memory 342 from the secont Tome mentioned an ex as a she.

    He meets with Tommy. Tommy has no room for him in his apartment. Wishes he did, but he doesn't. Mick wants to help but his old lady won't let him. Same with Bill and Harry. His ex has moved on and she doesn't want to see his face. Something about being a shithead. He can't live in a hotel room forever, it drains the account. He remembers a face he recently spotted in a crowd at his last scrap. They were friends since they were toddlers. He was a genuine friend even if they went separate ways. King looks him up. Castledrive. He hails a taxi.

    But to be fair, that can easily be either retconned with gendering the ex differently or just saying that he tried to date women in the past while he was struggling with his sexuality. Sadly not uncommon in our society.

    Alright that clears things up. I honestly hadn’t read it in awhile so I couldn’t remember exactly what they mentioned

  • People already say they are tunneled for rainbow charms. Been that way

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    A new survivor would have been better but BHVR have clearly chosen David because he’s established and very popular.

    However stupid to anyone who isn’t a bigot it may seem I can fully imagine BHVR thinking that whilst many players would, a large number of other people would not purchase (even with shards) or play as a newly released confirmed LGBTQ+ survivor. Much better to choose the guy who many people main and will have P3 on. Plus if you want dead hard you have to level him up.

    So the stats for people playing their confirmed gay character will probably be great and will grant them some imaginary internet brownie points from people who care about this sort of thing.

    Whatever their reasons it’s still incredibly lazy.

    I'm not sure I agree- if BVHR wants to do this properly, IE, make it a relevant and integral part of a story being told, they kinda have to do it in a tome. There's simply not room to do more than mention offhand a character's sexuality in base lore - and while there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't also do that, if they want their first big push to be something substantial, it's gotta be in a tome.

    So, it was always gonna be an extant character, and while there are a lot of good choices for who, David is also pretty clearly up there. The dude's from Manchester, even, it definitely doesn't clash against his character in any way.

  • Can we please have positive vibes in here for once?? This is great for DBD.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922558#Comment_2922558

    ayo I'd rephrase the last 2 words of point 2 cos it has bad history. Just say POC instead :)

    I’m not saying anything bad about them I’m just describing the characters they were killing. I understand the history. But POC can be anyone. Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Chinese, Japanese. Anyone can be labeled like that.

  • Gonna need that one dog for the next few days /s

    In all seriousness though I'm glad so many people are happy about this.

  • Skyrim haha. When the most aggressive character is your spouse and they end up turning soft... "Goodbye my love..."

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    Glad you guys finally got your representation you have wanted.

    However, now any David with the rainbow charm, is gonna accuse us killers of killing them due to this

    This is not how it works and it is a really stupid take.

    This is the same stuff that game up when the Pride-Charm was introduced. "Now Survivors will get Killers banned because they claim they were tunneled for being LGBTQ+!!!"...

    And this did not happen. If a David claims that you tunneled them because he is a Gay-Character, you will be fine. If you say you tunneled them because they are a F-Word, you are not fine.

  • @Barbarossa2020 said:

    Wont his just encourage hate on twitch?

    i.e Bubba masks.

    Therrre it is

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Gonna need that one dog for the next few days /s

    In all seriousness though I'm glad so many people are happy about this.

    FOBH6mrUYAk5iQb.jpg

    my personal favorite

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922570#Comment_2922570

    This is not how it works and it is a really stupid take.

    This is the same stuff that game up when the Pride-Charm was introduced. "Now Survivors will get Killers banned because they claim they were tunneled for being LGBTQ+!!!"...

    And this did not happen. If a David claims that you tunneled them because he is a Gay-Character, you will be fine. If you say you tunneled them because they are a F-Word, you are not fine.

    Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment and bannable because it was happening. There are threads on this forum about it, nothing stupid about my take. COnsidering it is the length at which these things reach

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922576#Comment_2922576

    I’m not saying anything bad about them I’m just describing the characters they were killing. I understand the history. But POC can be anyone. Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Chinese, Japanese. Anyone can be labeled like that.

    Oh yea I know there's no ill intent behind it it's just that the term "coloured people" has been used a lot in history as a racist term and is a bit frowned upon to say these days.

  • I may not play the game anymore but massive respect to BHVR for this.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Gonna need that one dog for the next few days /s

    In all seriousness though I'm glad so many people are happy about this.

    My personal favourite is "Pack it up Skittle Squad"

    Edit: found it

    20220403_154700.jpg


  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922608#Comment_2922608

    Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment and bannable because it was happening. There are threads on this forum about it, nothing stupid about my take. COnsidering it is the length at which these things reach

    And another stupid take.

    The Devs also confirmed that they will not ban anyone for tunneling. They will ban someone if they tunnel because they are homophobic.

    You will not be banned for tunneling Davids. You will not be banned for tunneling people with a Pride Charm.

    You WILL be banned if you tunnel Davids because they are gay. You WILL be banned if you tunnel people because they are LGBTQ+ and/or want to show support by wearing the Pride Charm.


    It is the reason WHY you are tunneling. And not THAT you are tunneling.


    Seriously, why is this ######### so hard to understand? When the Pride-Charm was introduced, it was all the same, Killers claiming that they will probably get banned because Survivors report them for tunneling. And this did not happen. And it will not happen this time.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922608#Comment_2922608

    Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment and bannable because it was happening. There are threads on this forum about it, nothing stupid about my take. COnsidering it is the length at which these things reach

    That's literally not what they said.

    If you specifically target someone because of the pride charm and target them and nobody else across multiple games, making it clear in the chat that it is because of the pride charm, it is bannable. If you do not do that, and you simply tunnel someone with the flag once, you are in no danger.

  • I don't have a problem with them using an existing character.

    Because it doesn't really feel forced to me if the characters sexuality was never really explored to begin with expanding on the characters never a bad thing.

    Now David is stated to have had a girlfriend previously but coming to terms with your sexuality while the is something people do some people have been in heterosexual relationships before they eventually realise it's just not them.

    As long as as they write it well I'm all for it.

    Personally I would have preferred if they had picked someone else Min, Yui, Jeff, Adam ( honestly these are some of the characters I would have picked if I made that choice) but honestly I can't really complain I'm excited to see what they write and I hope it's good

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922475#Comment_2922475

    To be fair, you can be gay and still had a girlfriend in the past.

    Either because you were not sure about yourself being gay or because you feel that it would be "normal" to date a girl.

    @Topic:

    I mean, why not? There are quite a bunch of gay players who really like David. And inclusion does not mean that it have to be new characters. And for those who dont really care about it, they will be fine with David being straight or gay.

    Yeah I didn’t think of that actually. That’s a good point

  • "Today we're pleased to confirm that Dead by Daylight can officially celebrate the game's first gay character: David King"

    The Chatterer: Am I just a joke to you?

  • @shinymon said:

    "Today we're pleased to confirm that Dead by Daylight can officially celebrate the game's first gay character: David King"

    The Chatterer: Am I just a joke to you?

    To be fair I think the Cenobites aren't exactly what you would want to represent you as a group right?

  • Also gotta ask, what's with the "we consulted extensively with gaymerx."

    Way to put in way too much effort BHVR, you spoke to a whole gay person.

    Glad to know a single individual speaks for a whole community.

  • Soooo... instead of letting the information be discovered naturally by the players, BHVR posts a big message on Twitter to support and highlight this facet of the character. Like... almost all productions (series, films...). 

    Maybe one day you will understand that we are not fairground animals. Would you have written the same message if he was heterosexual ? No. So why do it for homosexuality, if not to press on "the difference" again.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922650#Comment_2922650

    To be fair I think the Cenobites aren't exactly what you would want to represent you as a group right?

    That’s very anti-cenobite of you.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    Very, very tacky move to just pick the one a lot of gay guys like when it's in his existing lore that he isn't gay. Comes off as very "oh well just slap on the gay tag to shut them up."

    As has been pointed out, it does not state in the existing lore that he isn't gay. It states that he previously dated a woman. Something that a vast number of gay men also did at one point in their lives.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    Also gotta ask, what's with the "we consulted extensively with gaymerx."

    Way to put in way too much effort BHVR, you spoke to a whole gay person.

    Glad to know a single individual speaks for a whole community.

    It's a charity founded by lgbt+ people, who have lgbt+ volunteers, who help lgbt+ people get jobs in major firms- I think there's a larger percentage of people than just one on-board.

  • It's ironic bc I'm a Pinhead main 😱

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922660#Comment_2922660

    here we go.

    I reported your post so hopefully mods can stop you for what you are attempting to do.

    Smearing me as homophobic is nasty, totally unfair, and against forum rules.

    I have no reason to further this discussion since you have taken it to this.

    good day

    Aight enjoy continuing your flawed argument as to why you're happy about this representation but it's bad, actually, because of X Y or Z.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922608#Comment_2922608

    Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment and bannable because it was happening. There are threads on this forum about it, nothing stupid about my take. COnsidering it is the length at which these things reach

    Please avoid misrepresenting what has been said.

    Targeted harassment has always been against the rules, regardless of the motivation:

    image.png

    The devs simply confirmed that targeted harassment aimed at people for gender / sexuality reasons is against the rules.

  • @Rizzo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922614#Comment_2922614

    Please avoid misrepresenting what has been said.

    Targeted harassment has always been against the rules, regardless of the motivation:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/4U6AFFC2Z025/image.png

    The devs simply confirmed that targeted harassment aimed at people for gender / sexuality reasons is against the rules.

    "Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment"

    I used the word "target" specifically for that, perhaps my wording was not the best but I didn nothing wrong... now can you delete these posts calling me homophobc? Why is this allowed?

  • @Rokjer said:

    Soooo... instead of letting the information be discovered naturally by the players, BHVR posts a big message on Twitter to support and highlight this facet of the character. Like... almost all productions (series, films...). 

    Maybe one day you will understand that we are not fairground animals. Would you have written the same message if he was heterosexual ? No. So why do it for homosexuality, if not to press on "the difference" again.

    Because LGBTQ+-players have asked for representation.

    A straight person does not really ask for representation. If you want straight representation, you dont really have to look at all, you get represented all the time.

    But having a LGBTQ+-Character was asked a lot.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922570#Comment_2922570

    This is not how it works and it is a really stupid take.

    This is the same stuff that game up when the Pride-Charm was introduced. "Now Survivors will get Killers banned because they claim they were tunneled for being LGBTQ+!!!"...

    And this did not happen. If a David claims that you tunneled them because he is a Gay-Character, you will be fine. If you say you tunneled them because they are a F-Word, you are not fine.

    Some survivors will complain no matter what. Again, I'm a bi dude. Some people just don't like getting outplayed and get snippy the second you down them even once. Some even DC from the match because *Rage Quit*

  • So now what happens if a David player gets tunneled in a game and the player reports the killer for “harassment”?

  • @Phasmamain said:

    Didn’t David already have a girlfriend in the lore? I’ll have to read the time to see if they did it well

    I mean, he had one for sure. Technically it's always possible for someone to not realize they have a certain sexuality due to whatever outside things, but I do think David would have better been off bi.

    Overall, the main story pushed was more in the lines of "the only things confirmed are sex and ethnicity by default" around characters. Which I am overall a bigger supporter of, as giving a character a defined sexuality it also limits creativity a bit, especially when it comes to fans.

    I personally find it much more important for kids to have confirmed sexuality than for adults, especially because IMO adults wouldn't need to confirm their sexuality on characters who do not have their sexuality defined. Especially not when there are cosmetics that could easily represent more than one. I don't necessarily see it as an issue, my biggest issue is more people that say that the method of "their sexuality is forever unconfirmed" is lazy rather than free for fan interpretation. Because let's be honest, plenty of characters have been thought to be LGBT+ by a very large portion of the game. The only people who really have a big reaction to this are people who are utterly against it(I mean, look at the amount of people negatively reacting to the pride flag, those people will now never play David again), and people who think unconfirmed is lazy. The rest will either think it's too late or don't care at all.

  • @MrPeanutbutter said:

    So now what happens if a David player gets tunneled in a game and the player reports the killer for “harassment”?

    Absolutely nothing, unless your intent behind the tunneling was homophobia, and they can prove your intent was homophobia, across multiple games. The exact same as the pride charm. Stop making this argument because it does not work.

  • Can't believe it wasn't Trapper.

  • Once again, let's keep it civil and respectful, thank you.

  • @MrPeanutbutter said:

    So now what happens if a David player gets tunneled in a game and the player reports the killer for “harassment”?

    No one will get banned without proof, as it has always been.

    Targeted harassment has to happen through multiple games and it needs to be proved.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922686#Comment_2922686

    "Devs literally came out and stated that if you target anyone with rainbow charms, it is considered harrassment"

    I used the word "target" specifically for that, perhaps my wording was not the best but I didn nothing wrong... now can you delete these posts calling me homophobc? Why is this allowed?

    Target doesn’t always mean tunneling.

    Targeting is going after someone.

  • @MrPeanutbutter said:

    So now what happens if a David player gets tunneled in a game and the player reports the killer for “harassment”?

    nothing, because they would most likely have no proof. There's just too much factors that go into why a killer will act a certain way to really pinpoint it to harassment.

  • @Hanzo_Hasashi7 said:

    people wanting balance=

    Bhvr=WE GOT OUR FIRST LGBTQ CHARACTER!!!

    nice one keep it up

    Different people work on different stuff in BHVR.

    Writing lore and balancing a game do not have transferrable skills, so people good at writing will do lore and people who can balance will balance the game.

  • @Tr1nity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922688#Comment_2922688

    Target doesn’t always mean tunneling.

    Targeting is going after someone.

    As I already said, poor choice of words, but what was meant is "singling out/tunneling/targetting" that player to grief or harrass.

    I admitted my poor choice of words, again, I am happy for the lgbt folks here, and apologize if anything I said was taken the wrong way. I meant tunneling a person for their charms.

  • @Yatol said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2922703#Comment_2922703

    nothing, because they would most likely have no proof. There's just too much factors that go into why a killer will act a certain way to really pinpoint it to harassment.

    Unless they brag about it in the post game chat/steam comments

    Which a lot of them do because they're vile people who thrive off the annoyance of others, just plain stupid or both. Usually both

1 2 3 4 … 11