DAVID KING IS OFFICIALLY GAY

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1519330593733021696?s=20&t=XS9IEADnHKZnTlflubMYHQ
References:............................................................................................................................................36

^ For those of you who don’t think this isn’t important at all. It’s a thesis that got the highest pass on why representation in media is important.

Lastly, before it’s brought up again:

image.jpeg

Courtesy of @GoodBoyKaru .

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935600#Comment_2935600

    Is it just me or are the ones who are the most accepting of David's coming out the ones who have insulted more people?

    Sure seems that way.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935546#Comment_2935546

    The point was the customers and fans of these characters deserve to know before spending more money on them.

    That’s a dumb argument. Why does a character being a specific sexuality affect your choice of preference? You know you say you’re not a homophobe but this is exactly the type of mindset homophobes have.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935610#Comment_2935610

    I don't want people to call me a homophobe. I just think that is how some people feel about me here. If I could choose a label for myself though it would be "Queen of Dissenting Opinions."

    I don't think I've really labeled the dbd devs anything. I disagree with their approach on a lot of things sure but I try to lean away from the whole labeling thing. I would rather they leave certain aspects of the characters up to the consumer. I think that is the best approach and everyone wins in that situation.

    I think I'd actually prefer the characters to be completely blank slates. No lore. Then the players could make up whatever lore they want, write their own fanfiction. Killers would get a short urban legend kind of blurb, but nothing more, no details. Hints about who the killers were and what they did could be seen visually in their maps, but not specifically spelled out in text.

    To me, the characters aren't really interesting. The Entity is interesting. I enjoy cryptic little clues, discussing possible interpretations, and I'd love to discover blurbs about the Entity and the larger world, either hidden within the game or unlocked doing certain things.

    In a game like this, where there's no story mode, I think the world building is more interesting than the individual characters. That's me, though. I'm probably in the minority.

    That ship has sailed, anyway, and it wouldn't work for what BHVR wants to do with Tomes. What they're doing with David fits with the way they handle character lore, revealing more details about a character over time. Any new information revealed about a character can be disliked by anyone, but it's not going to stop BHVR from releasing new information about a character as that's the point of the Tomes.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935579#Comment_2935579

    That’s a dumb argument. Why does a character being a specific sexuality affect your choice of preference? You know you say you’re not a homophobe but this is exactly the type of mindset homophobes have.

    I'm not a homophobe. Everyone is different. People have religious and cultural convictions. A Christian may not want to play a gay character for example. How do you think they would feel finding out years later that their favorite character is gay? Or does it not matter because Christians are intrinsically evil? Not everyone thinks like you and neither should they. Everyone shouldn't have to think or feel a certain way about this. This is why I will continue to say leaving certain aspects of characters neutral is the best approach in my opinion.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935546#Comment_2935546

    The point was the customers and fans of these characters deserve to know before spending more money on them.

    LOL

    You do realize that even if they were to follow your absurd dispute to "know" the sexuality of a character before purchase, they (BHVR) by law reserves the right to change whatever they feel like including but not limited to the lore of a character?

    Perhaps go make your own game where you can feature your own interpretation of characters and the way YOU want them to be interpreted by your own consumers.

    Also, on people calling you a homophobe, here is what I have to say. If it quacks and walks like a duck, it's a duck.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935610#Comment_2935610

    I don't want people to call me a homophobe. I just think that is how some people feel about me here. If I could choose a label for myself though it would be "Queen of Dissenting Opinions."

    I don't think I've really labeled the dbd devs anything. I disagree with their approach on a lot of things sure but I try to lean away from the whole labeling thing. I would rather they leave certain aspects of the characters up to the consumer. I think that is the best approach and everyone wins in that situation.

    If you don't want people to think that, maybe stop saying "I'm not a homophobe BUUUUUTTTTTT--", over and over? I mean, you're pretty going out of your way to hit every Status Quo Warrior talking point here.

    I get it, you probably don't think as yourself as being homophobic (because that would make you a Bad Person, and you don't think of yourself as a Bad Person), but this is exactly what homophobes do. Every time there's a new bit of representation in anything, no matter how innocuous or inconsequential, there's the same old bingo card being whipped out.

    "Political" (as if preserving the status quo is any less political)

    "Virtue Signalling" (meaningless, thoughtless buzzword)

    "Woke" (another content-free buzzword)

    "Nobody Cares" (while endlessly posting to show exactly how little you care)

    "Too Much Representation" (a clear sign the speaker has no experience of how it feels to NOT be represented, and told over and over that People Like You never get to be cool or heroic)

    "Where Will It End?" (I dunno, with a cast of characters that look like how people actually are?)

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935579#Comment_2935579

    LOL

    You do realize that even if they were to follow your absurd dispute to "know" the sexuality of a character before purchase, they (BHVR) by law reserves the right to change whatever they feel like including but not limited to the lore of a character?

    Perhaps go make your own game where you can feature your own interpretation of characters and the way YOU want them to be interpreted by your own consumers.

    Also, on people calling you a homophobe, here is what I have to say. If it quacks and walks like a duck, it's a duck.

    I'm just thankful I'm not filled with this much hatred when I reply to people on controversial topics like this. No one has directly called me a homophobe yet... I think. I have said I just feel like that is how some people see me here. I'd love to make my own game like that by the way but I fear I would be endlessly attacked by people like you for lack of representation.


  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935180#Comment_2935180

    Of course David being the choice wasn’t needed. But it was a great choice as it fits very well with the lore we already have.

    you are still focusing only on sexuality. If emotional attachment is applicable to other things then why is no one ever using this argument when it’s not about LGBTQ+? Because even for the tomes that actually retconned initial lore there wasn’t as much criticism or complaints.

    You are trying to set limitations on the story telling of the devs by stating they can’t reveal the sexuality of their characters after some time of their initial release, but the way tomes work that’s just not possible. Also it wasn’t out of a sudden, they have talked about their collaboration with GaymerX often times and never have they explicitly stated the representation will be done with a new character.

    i used the word shallow because you are focusing only on the sexuality of the character while completely leaving out anything that actually defines the character. Thinking the character itself somehow changed because their sexuality was revealed (and not changed) is shallow.

    David sexuality reveal is the subject and an example towards the argument i bring, not focusing on it is nonsensical.

    I fail to see how the objectiveness of an argument has to be based on the number of times it has been brought yet,

    I wouldn't say no one ever is using this argument outside LGBT+ related topics either, as many might not know they are refeering to breaking emotional attachment when trying to express disliking of character long term changes.

    The way it was revealed beforehand has nothing to do with storytelling at all, this is an important distinction. You cannot limit storytelling, when you are not storytelling on the first place.

    But i guess it's fair to call it a storywriting limitation in the overall character lore.

    The character changed from having an open to interpretation sexuality to a specific one, label this however you want, yet bear in mind you are using negative connotations on how others' feel about it, which doesn't add anything constructive to the debate.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935676#Comment_2935676

    I'm just thankful I'm not filled with this much hatred when I reply to people on controversial topics like this. No one has directly called me a homophobe yet... I think. I have said I just feel like that is how some people see me here. I'd love to make my own game like that by the way but I fear I would be endlessly attacked by people like you for lack of representation.

    Thing is, it's not "controversial". Gay people exist, even people who don't fit old stereotypes of "gay" or whom onlookers assumed were straight. Can you explain in detail what on earth about that is "controversial"?

    (And continue to take cracks at others for "virtue signalling" while making everyone knows exactly how free of hate and bigotry you are.)

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935657#Comment_2935657

    I'm not a homophobe. Everyone is different. People have religious and cultural convictions. A Christian may not want to play a gay character for example. How do you think they would feel finding out years later that their favorite character is gay? Or does it not matter because Christians are intrinsically evil? Not everyone thinks like you and neither should they. Everyone shouldn't have to think or feel a certain way about this. This is why I will continue to say leaving certain aspects of characters neutral is the best approach in my opinion.

    If your “cultural convictions” are to act like any sexuality outside of heterosexual isn’t normal, then I genuinely don’t know what to say other than educate yourself.

  • @icedrake402 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935683#Comment_2935683

    Thing is, it's not "controversial". Gay people exist, even people who don't fit old stereotypes of "gay" or whom onlookers assumed were straight. Can you explain in detail what on earth about that is "controversial"?

    (And continue to take cracks at others for "virtue signalling" while making everyone knows exactly how free of hate and bigotry you are.)

    Diverse world is diverse.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935676#Comment_2935676

    I'm just thankful I'm not filled with this much hatred when I reply to people on controversial topics like this. No one has directly called me a homophobe yet... I think. I have said I just feel like that is how some people see me here. I'd love to make my own game like that by the way but I fear I would be endlessly attacked by people like you for lack of representation.

    I am thankful that I am secure with my own sexuality (gay) that I don't need to know who is gay and who is not before purchasing a character. In fact, when you think about it I have been purchasing heterosexual characters all along (to my knowledge).... and yet not one person has brought that up, funny how that works huh? Maybe that is why they are trying to be more inclusive now.

    You claim labeling you a "homophobe" is how think other people see you, when in fact you are the one who is making yourself look that way, with comments such as:

    Untitled Image


  • @icedrake402 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935618#Comment_2935618

    If you don't want people to think that, maybe stop saying "I'm not a homophobe BUUUUUTTTTTT--", over and over? I mean, you're pretty going out of your way to hit every Status Quo Warrior talking point here.

    I get it, you probably don't think as yourself as being homophobic (because that would make you a Bad Person, and you don't think of yourself as a Bad Person), but this is exactly what homophobes do. Every time there's a new bit of representation in anything, no matter how innocuous or inconsequential, there's the same old bingo card being whipped out.

    "Political" (as if preserving the status quo is any less political)

    "Virtue Signalling" (meaningless, thoughtless buzzword)

    "Woke" (another content-free buzzword)

    "Nobody Cares" (while endlessly posting to show exactly how little you care)

    "Too Much Representation" (a clear sign the speaker has no experience of how it feels to NOT be represented, and told over and over that People Like You never get to be cool or heroic)

    "Where Will It End?" (I dunno, with a cast of characters that look like how people actually are?)

    Think like me or else much?

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935683#Comment_2935683

    I am thankful that I am secure with my own sexuality (gay) that I don't need to know who is gay and who is not before purchasing a character.

    You claim labeling you a "homophobe" is how think other people see you, when in fact you are the one who is making yourself look that way, with comments such as:

    https://i.gyazo.com/6c87a99337cc05928de625514ca0d841.png

    Idk man, them making one of the existing characters trans would definitely be random at that point.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935674#Comment_2935674

    If your “cultural convictions” are to act like any sexuality outside of heterosexual isn’t normal, then I genuinely don’t know what to say other than educate yourself.

    image.png

    //

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935683#Comment_2935683

    I am thankful that I am secure with my own sexuality (gay) that I don't need to know who is gay and who is not before purchasing a character.

    You claim labeling you a "homophobe" is how think other people see you, when in fact you are the one who is making yourself look that way, with comments such as:

    https://i.gyazo.com/6c87a99337cc05928de625514ca0d841.png

    How is me not wanting my favorite DBD characters to not have a canon sexuality implying I am a homophobe? 🤣

  • @Bran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935703#Comment_2935703

    Idk man, them making one of the existing characters trans would definitely be random at that point.

    Random because.... You said so?

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935703#Comment_2935703

    How is me not wanting my favorite DBD characters to not have a canon sexuality implying I am a homophobe? 🤣

    Weren't you the one who said you didn't care about lore?

    So why does it all of a sudden matter whether a character's sexuality is canon or not? Wouldn't you just not even read the lore and just play the game? Instead of trying to pursue/dispute it by making absurd comments that show the opposite of not caring about lore.

  • I can understand making an existing character gay or the similar. Full on trans is definitely something that should be given to a new character.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935710#Comment_2935710

    Weren't you the one who said you didn't care about lore?

    So why does it all of a sudden matter whether a character's sexuality is canon or not? Wouldn't you just not even read the lore and just play the game?

    Ignorance is bliss. I would've preferred to not have heard about this. I do like lore but I just haven't seen DBD to be a game to really emphasize the importance of it so knowing specific details about characters hasn't really been that appealing to me. It doesn't mean I won't give my opinion about it when things are made known to me. Even still, I'd much rather everything be left up to the consumer so everyone is happy.

  • Those damn gamers always oppressing me!

  • How is this thread still going lmao

  • @Sludge said:

    Those damn gamers always oppressing me!

    ive lost track of the number of times ive been called a slur to demean me because someone got mad youre really not giving what you thought you gave

  • @deKlaw_04 said:

    How is this thread still going lmao

    I ask myself that same thing.

  • I was playing killer before the chat filter, I've seen everything there is to see. Big deal.

  • @Sludge said:

    I was playing killer before the chat filter, I've seen everything there is to see. Big deal.

    So was I.

    Tell me you don't know the historical context behind slurs and don't want to learn without telling me you don't know the historical context behind slurs and don't want to learn

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935780#Comment_2935780

    So was I.

    Tell me you don't know the historical context behind slurs and don't want to learn without telling me you don't know the historical context behind slurs and don't want to learn

    Do I get some sort of points card or redeemable tokens since I've been slandered by gamerz or how does that work

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935781#Comment_2935781

    Do I get some sort of points card or redeemable tokens since I've been slandered by gamerz or how does that work

    depends, have you been verbally and physically harassed while having slurs screamed at you by everyone around you growing up or are you continuing to live in ignorant bliss while talking like you know it all?

  • @CORENdot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935230#Comment_2935230

    David sexuality reveal is the subject and an example towards the argument i bring, not focusing on it is nonsensical.

    I fail to see how the objectiveness of an argument has to be based on the number of times it has been brought yet,

    I wouldn't say no one ever is using this argument outside LGBT+ related topics either, as many might not know they are refeering to breaking emotional attachment when trying to express disliking of character long term changes.

    The way it was revealed beforehand has nothing to do with storytelling at all, this is an important distinction. You cannot limit storytelling, when you are not storytelling on the first place.

    But i guess it's fair to call it a storywriting limitation in the overall character lore.

    The character changed from having an open to interpretation sexuality to a specific one, label this however you want, yet bear in mind you are using negative connotations on how others' feel about it, which doesn't add anything constructive to the debate.

    Can you give one other example from all those 6 years and 10 rifts with each having at least 2 character tome stories where people reacted similarly?

    characters in DbD change all the time with your definition here, maybe not on sexuality but actually that has happened to some degree as well (see Legion tome for example, or Nurse and Wraith cosmetics which was also part of a twitter post I think?)

  • @Sludge said:

    I was playing killer before the chat filter, I've seen everything there is to see. Big deal.

    Just because you might be desensitised or just straight up not bothered by the stuff people say, it doesn't mean it's alright for it to happen

    Some dude called me cancer for winning as Freddy once. It didn't bother me but I'd still rather not have people going around telling each other to die. Not exactly the kind of community I'd wanna be part of. It's also entirely possible it could've been said to someone who it would've bothered y'know?

    Like yeah you could just close the chat but a lot of good interactions come from it too

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935789#Comment_2935789

    depends, have you been verbally and physically harassed while having slurs screamed at you by everyone around you growing up or are you continuing to live in ignorant bliss while talking like you know it all?

    I assume most people have been bullied at some point in their life

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935794#Comment_2935794

    I assume most people have been bullied at some point in their life

    aight so yeah it's option 2 thanks for clarifying

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935717#Comment_2935717

    Ignorance is bliss. I would've preferred to not have heard about this. I do like lore but I just haven't seen DBD to be a game to really emphasize the importance of it so knowing specific details about characters hasn't really been that appealing to me. It doesn't mean I won't give my opinion about it when things are made known to me. Even still, I'd much rather everything be left up to the consumer so everyone is happy.

    Even still, I'd much rather everything be left up to the consumer so everyone is happy.

    except for those that have another opinion than your own and actually like the story telling in DbD…

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935747#Comment_2935747

    Even still, I'd much rather everything be left up to the consumer so everyone is happy.

    except for those that have another opinion than your own and actually like the story telling in DbD…

    Whats wrong with having a neutral stance on something? You're wanting me to accept the sexuality of David and whatever else they throw at the characters in the future and I simply want it to be left up to the consumer so everyone can be happy. You have an opinion but you're also wanting me to conform to it. Not gonna happen.

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935800#Comment_2935800

    Whats wrong with having a neutral stance on something? You're wanting me to accept the sexuality of David and whatever else they throw at the characters in the future and I simply want it to be left up to the consumer so everyone can be happy. You have an opinion but you're also wanting me to conform to it. Not gonna happen.

    It’s not neutral to be against something.

    and it’s especially not neutral if you only ever voice your opinion against it when it’s a specific topic.


    there is nothing ‚thrown‘ at the characters. That’s you trying to twist this into something negative.



    also you acting like if they were doing your way everyone would be happy is something different to what you are accusing me of?

  • @KateMain86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935584#Comment_2935584

    Sure why not I guess? I mean I think I'm pretty much considered a homophobe by a few people here by now so you can go ahead and throw another label on me. Its fine. You won't see me doing that to you or anyone else here though. Hatred isn't my thing.

    Hatred not my thing from someone who frets about characters being gay, is afraid someone being trans is next, and refers to companies acknowledging BLM as “that crap”.

    So you’ve got bigot and racist covered, wanna run the table and tell us it’s actually about ethics in games journalism?

  • @Viskod said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2935600#Comment_2935600

    Hatred not my thing from someone who frets about characters being gay, is afraid someone being trans is next, and refers to companies acknowledging BLM as “that crap”.

    So you’ve got bigot and racist covered, wanna run the table and tell us it’s actually about ethics in games journalism?

    Someone should make a bingo card

  • I'm closing this thread here as it's going around and around in circles right now. We've explained over and over why representation is important and why David is gay - there might be further LGBTIAQ+ characters in the fog in the future, either new characters or existing characters.

    I hope by the time the next character is introduced that discussions like this won't be necessary and that people will understand how and why representation is so important in video games.

1 … 9 10 11 ›