Please don’t change Boil Over

It honestly doesn’t need any nerfs or changes. Whether it’s meta or not, you can adjust your build to play around it. You can use agitation, iron grasp, or a combination of the two. Just like how survivors get told to run Detectives hunch, or counterforce to counter ruin/undying/NOED you can do the same as well. I promise you’ll be fine without your Ruin, Undying, Pop, Corrupt, Tinkerer builds you use every match.

Comments

  • @gendoss said:

    Yeah the community is really overreacting about this one.

    A. It tells you they have it when you pick them up

    B. Just walk down the stairs, it's really not a big deal

    C. I know there's an infinite but they could put a hook up there, it's not the fault of the perk

    It's not a bad perk don't get me wrong but if you want any value out of it you have to make entire builds or play styles around making it work and that's taking up so many of survivors resources just for a chance to wiggle off. Not worth it at all.

    I see you have never used balanced landing before. The games spaghetti code makes it so that "great height" is extremely inconsistent. The game might count a 3 inch drop as a great height, and it might count a 10 foot drop as not being from a great height. Generally it's pretty hard to know. Since it is inconsistent and doesn't really follow any logic, the killer simply has to assume any drop, no matter how small, will stagger, since the killer can't actually know if it will or won't stagger because it's so inconsistent.


    The staggering should not be on the perk unless they want to fix the code so that "great height" means great height and not "fell half an inch off a pebble"

  • @Mileena_Kahn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779660#Comment_2779660

    Perhaps it’s the map designs that need fixing and not the perk itself.

    The issue with that is that no map is designed around falls giving survivor wiggle progress and thus this causes issues not only on specific maps but entire map realms such as red wood maps both having forced double fall spots.

    More and more of these spots are being found every day on nearly every realm that has a 2+ story tall building in it.

    So its a perk they'd have to literally warp and balance the game solely around it just like old Balanced landing; causing them to redo every single map in the game....Or they can just admit it they screwed up and revert it.

  • @gendoss said:

    Yeah the community is really overreacting about this one.

    A. It tells you they have it when you pick them up

    B. Just walk down the stairs, it's really not a big deal

    C. I know there's an infinite but they could put a hook up there, it's not the fault of the perk

    It's not a bad perk don't get me wrong but if you want any value out of it you have to make entire builds or play styles around making it work and that's taking up so many of survivors resources just for a chance to wiggle off. Not worth it at all.

    Yes, there’s an infinite. And how many dead zones has this game?

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779686#Comment_2779686

    The issue with that is that no map is designed around falls giving survivor wiggle progress and thus this causes issues not only on specific maps but entire map realms such as red wood maps both having forced double fall spots.

    More and more of these spots are being found every day on nearly every realm that has a 2+ story tall building in it.

    So its a perk they'd have to literally warp and balance the game solely around it just like old Balanced landing; causing them to redo every single map in the game....Or they can just admit it they screwed up and revert it.

    Or they can just admit it they screwed up and revert it

    How many years did it take before they admitted the phase 2 hook mechanic was horrible? I still recall a Q&A where someone said 'When will it be changed? It PHYSICALLY HURTS ME!' and the dev's reply was 'Well, we thought of it, so we like it.'


    What I'm trying to say is that they don't ever admit their mistakes. Even glaring obvious ones.

  • Fix god awful map design

  • @AngyKiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779815#Comment_2779815

    Or they can just admit it they screwed up and revert it

    How many years did it take before they admitted the phase 2 hook mechanic was horrible? I still recall a Q&A where someone said 'When will it be changed? It PHYSICALLY HURTS ME!' and the dev's reply was 'Well, we thought of it, so we like it.'

    What I'm trying to say is that they don't ever admit their mistakes. Even glaring obvious ones.

    They have admitted a mistake a grand total of one time before and it was due to survivors being unhookable.

    One of the previous patches effectively made survivors unhookable due to a change in the "Save" mechanics with flashlight and pallets and they had to hotfix revert it while admitting they screwed up.

    So hopefully this will be their 2nd time admitting it...But I doubt it.

  • A popular forum member who commonly makes incredibly survivor-sided takes.

  • The god king of the forums who represents survivors everywhere regardless of their race, nationality or creed. A hero to some, demon to others. The legend that has killer mains cowering, twisted so much by their fear they have psychotic breakdowns and laugh uncontrollably. They are a powerful individual you never want to cross.

  • I think its a good thing killers are forced to change their build from the same old meta.

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779822#Comment_2779822

    They have admitted a mistake a grand total of one time before and it was due to survivors being unhookable.

    One of the previous patches effectively made survivors unhookable due to a change in the "Save" mechanics with flashlight and pallets and they had to hotfix revert it while admitting they screwed up.

    So hopefully this will be their 2nd time admitting it...But I doubt it.

    They have yet to fix the 'Survivor makes no sound on the ground' bug that costs Killers some kills.

    But they fixed the 'Sometimes Killers don't have music' bug within 24 hours. Because that made it way too easy for Killers to hear Survivors. 🙃

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779827#Comment_2779827

    The god king of the forums who represents survivors everywhere regardless of their race, nationality or creed. A hero to some, demon to others. The legend that has killer mains cowering, twisted so much by their fear they have psychotic breakdowns and laugh uncontrollably. They are a powerful individual you never want to cross.

    I represent survivors as well. Sounds like he and I are the only ones that represent survivors on this forum.

  • It needs a nerf. 7 second for a killer to hook someone is pretty bad, specially if the hooks are far away.

  • @Mileena_Kahn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779832#Comment_2779832

    I represent survivors as well. Sounds like he and I are the only ones that represent survivors on this forum.

    Good joke. I live when Survivors scream the loudest and then scream everything is Killer-sided while getting a Struggle boost of 6.25% for free in a quality of life change, Boon totems that break the game, Boil OPver for functional immunity...

  • I support this claim. I learned my lesson and now slug every red horse user I see without fail.

    The great warlord Lü Bu had a red horse that was supposedly unmatched in its speed. Let chì tù mǎ (red hare) be Boil Overs spirit animal and everyone bleed out as fast as it galloped over the planes.

  • Personally I think it's bad game design to create a perk that's completely worthless outside of SWF. You're making the strongest aspect of the game, in comparison to solo survivor and killer, even stronger, by allowing people to go out of their way to bully someone. It isn't about winning, it isn't about losing, as those survivors, it's just about having fun at the expense of someone else.

    You know the best way to counter Boil Over? You close the game out on loadscreen if you see one of a few maps that is burned to abuse it. No perks needed. I think that this game has a lot of things that create unneeded frustrations and perks like this really shouldn't be a thing.

  • @Mileena_Kahn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779736#Comment_2779736

    I literally just said I play killer, just not as often. It is boring in my opinion so…

    He's one of those if you don't play the role all time then your opinion doesn't matter type of folk... don't mind him

  • I honestly did not know what to do when I ran into a boil over at RPD who jumped off my back in three seconds flat. Then proceeded to reuse Unbreakable over and over, but hackers are just a healthy part of a DBD breakfast. I mean, us killers are at the very best, Harry and Marv at this point, so make survivors ultra op. It is what it is.

  • I haven’t see any boil over today

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779827#Comment_2779827

    The god king of the forums who represents survivors everywhere regardless of their race, nationality or creed. A hero to some, demon to others. The legend that has killer mains cowering, twisted so much by their fear they have psychotic breakdowns and laugh uncontrollably. They are a powerful individual you never want to cross.

    I dunno why but whenever I see the name Sluzzy I remember that screenshot of them bleeding on the ground after trying to save against camping Bubba.

  • IWOM is another one. Run to the top and you are literally unhookable with BO, even if I'm running Agitation.

    @Adaez said:

    I think its a good thing killers are forced to change their build from the same old meta.

    Is it?

    To me, that's neither good nor bad. It depends on why, and how.

    If the meta shifts because killers get a fun new perk that has interesting synergy (Penti was so close to this) that's awesome.

    If the meta shifts because one decent perk and one terrible perk are now mandatory to stop a survivor taking the match hostage, that's crappy.

    It's like allowing killers to prevent survivors from ever leaving the exit gates ever unless they have Red Herring and Empathy equipped. Would that be a good way to change the survivor meta?

  • It's strong, but there needs to be more options available for alternate playstyles. Just like newer killer perks and perk changes like Pain Resonance, Plaything, Dead Man's Switch, No Way Out and Lethal Pursuer are helping to vary killer setups, likewise survivors need perks to change their playstyles. Deception, Blast Mine, Boons, Overcome are recent attempts at changing it too.

    I reckon more perks that have been at the top for a long time will be looked at and gradually nerfed, whilst lesser ones will get buffed eventually, but more in line that they work with other perks, rather than standalones.

  • @gendoss said:

    Yeah the community is really overreacting about this one.

    A. It tells you they have it when you pick them up

    B. Just walk down the stairs, it's really not a big deal

    C. I know there's an infinite but they could put a hook up there, it's not the fault of the perk

    It's not a bad perk don't get me wrong but if you want any value out of it you have to make entire builds or play styles around making it work and that's taking up so many of survivors resources just for a chance to wiggle off. Not worth it at all.

    "jUsT wAlK dOwN tHe StAiRs"

    Half of the perk's effect is literally throwing you sideways off the stairs.

  • @dictep said:

    I haven’t see any boil over today

    It died down. I guess the survivors didn't enjoy the slug fest as much as the occasional jumping off a killers shoulder. And that's the true tragedy: a weak perk got buffed to make it viable and maybe break up the stale meta, but it got so overturned that no one wants to run it, for the repercussion is getting slugged for 4min, invalidating the perk for proper consideration, again.

  • The only thing boil over needs is a fall distance to progress conversion so falling the height of 2-3 steps isn't considered a "great height".

    The rest is are just map changes.

  • they nerfed undying because it was annoying to use perks to find all totems

  • @Adaez said:

    I think its a good thing killers are forced to change their build from the same old meta.

    Same, me too.

  • Changing the meta just for the sake of changing the meta is not a good thing. "Hurrey, killers no longer use ruin undying, now they only use this new perk that permanently blocks 3 generators" is not a positive change

  • you really like getting bled out for 5 minutes straight, dont you?

  • @Mileena_Kahn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779631#Comment_2779631

    It’s just very repetitive and boring you know? Same power, same perks, same add-ons. As with survivor, you can experiment so much especially if you have friends, like doing locker saves, CJ’s, making a vault speed build, a stealth, build, a healing build, I just feel survivor offers so much more.

    I do understand that. It's why we have multiple killers, though. I play legion because I want to stab stab stab. I'm a simple man. If I wanna feel as if I'm a crazed crack man, I play blight. There are a plethora of playstyles you can have depending on the killer! If you wish, you can add me on steam (Name's the same as this one) so we can talk more. I'd like to know what the perspective looks like from someone that seems to play survivor more often than killer!

  • Basically "just remove hooks" is what OP is on about.

  • @Mileena_Kahn said:

    It honestly doesn’t need any nerfs or changes. Whether it’s meta or not, you can adjust your build to play around it. You can use agitation, iron grasp, or a combination of the two. Just like how survivors get told to run Detectives hunch, or counterforce to counter ruin/undying/NOED you can do the same as well. I promise you’ll be fine without your Ruin, Undying, Pop, Corrupt, Tinkerer builds you use every match.

    @Mileena_Kahn said:

    It honestly doesn’t need any nerfs or changes. Whether it’s meta or not, you can adjust your build to play around it. You can use agitation, iron grasp, or a combination of the two. Just like how survivors get told to run Detectives hunch, or counterforce to counter ruin/undying/NOED you can do the same as well. I promise you’ll be fine without your Ruin, Undying, Pop, Corrupt, Tinkerer builds you use every match.

    Hacker exploiting flip flop and boil over

    DBD hacker.jpg DBD hacker.jpg


  • @emodeshort said:

    Changing the meta just for the sake of changing the meta is not a good thing. "Hurrey, killers no longer use ruin undying, now they only use this new perk that permanently blocks 3 generators" is not a positive change

    Well, in general that's not too bad. Mobas like Dota or LoL do it all the time, and if just to keep things somewhat changing and fresh.

    In theory you would one day end up with a perfectly tuned game and from then on everything would be static. Granted, the chances that this happens with DBD are literally zero, but all in all, boldly nerfing old and overused options and replacing them with underused new ones isn't a bad design choice, imho.

    But we know our dbd community, people here aren't used to changing things up and would have a hard time to stomach losing their old meta perks and arranging themselves with a new meta.

  • @QwQw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779773#Comment_2779773

    That gave me an idea...

    @Sluzzy, do you think the new Boil Over needs to be changed?

    Not at all. I've used it numerous times and it's absolutely done nothing for me. Hooks are so close together. A nice buff would be to hide hook auras altogether.

  • Boil Over is a perk that helps survivor wiggle out of the killer's grasp. That alone is already a problem perk, because denying killer hooks is a strong effect and to have that effect as something a solo survivor can pull off without the help of teammates means the killer loses pressure while stuff is getting done.

    I like perks like Breakout, because at least the faster wiggle puts another survivor at risk and they aren't currently doing anything else as a trade off.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779778#Comment_2779778

    Not at all. I've used it numerous times and it's absolutely done nothing for me. Hooks are so close together. A nice buff would be to hide hook auras altogether.

    I don't think that will help anyway.

  • I’m so sick of people complaining about boil over already, the meta is just never gonna change if the perk gets nerfed.

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779822#Comment_2779822

    They have admitted a mistake a grand total of one time before and it was due to survivors being unhookable.

    One of the previous patches effectively made survivors unhookable due to a change in the "Save" mechanics with flashlight and pallets and they had to hotfix revert it while admitting they screwed up.

    So hopefully this will be their 2nd time admitting it...But I doubt it.

    They only admitted to that because even survivors were raging at them.

  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2779778#Comment_2779778

    Not at all. I've used it numerous times and it's absolutely done nothing for me. Hooks are so close together. A nice buff would be to hide hook auras altogether.

    To be honest, killers shouldn’t even be able to see hook auras at all.

  • Ah yes, let me just use this oak offering that moves the hook 0.00005 inches closer

  • @Nathan13 said:

    I’m so sick of people complaining about boil over already, the meta is just never gonna change if the perk gets nerfed.

    You don't change a stagnating meta full of overpowered or strong perks by buffing or making equally or even stronger perks. Survivor meta is all about second chances or extending chase time and nothing will ever top that unless it does it better.

    Likewise the killer meta is all about gen slowdown and nothing till top that if gens and maps are not sorted out so they have time to do anything.

    Boil over will not be meta because there are maps where it does nothing. The problem with it is that it is a bully tool for SWF who will get maximum use out of it with body blocks and other perks like breakout. It also breaks some maps when used with hook offerings.

    It isn't healthy, it isn't meta changing. Remove the 25% regression.

  • Survivors want Survivor meta to change: Dev gives Survivors yet more OP perks to pick from.

    Survivors want Killer meta to change: Survivors are given yet more OP perks Killers have to change their meta to counter.

    Killers want Killer meta to change: Devs nerf Killer perks that are overused.


    I wonder why Killers are leaving? 🤡

  • @gendoss said:

    Yeah the community is really overreacting about this one.

    A. It tells you they have it when you pick them up

    B. Just walk down the stairs, it's really not a big deal

    C. I know there's an infinite but they could put a hook up there, it's not the fault of the perk

    It's not a bad perk don't get me wrong but if you want any value out of it you have to make entire builds or play styles around making it work and that's taking up so many of survivors resources just for a chance to wiggle off. Not worth it at all.

    In my eyes, it's old OoO again. Meme material for solos, but toxic on a SWF.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2780014#Comment_2780014

    To be honest, killers shouldn’t even be able to see hook auras at all.

    ... why? You only have ten seconds to get somewhere, at the absolute most, turning it into a game of memory or "have I even seen a hook in this area of the map" is not a fun or balanced addition.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2780054#Comment_2780054

    ... why? You only have ten seconds to get somewhere, at the absolute most, turning it into a game of memory or "have I even seen a hook" in this area of the map is not a fun or balanced addition.

    My only guess is that everyone prefers to die by bleeding out for four minutes over being put on a hook. I don't get it, personally I don't find dying by being slugged fun, but from all these other comments I have to assume I'm in the minority.

  • If the infinites are the problem, then that's not a problem with the perk but rather with the map design. So maybe maps like Thompson House should have a hook in those problematic infinite areas. RPD should have a hook upstairs in the library. Any other problematic areas in maps should have a hook as well.

    This takes Boil Over from being used in a bully squad to being used as intended.

  • @Kaitsja said:

    If the infinites are the problem, then that's not a problem with the perk but rather with the map design. So maybe maps like Thompson House should have a hook in those problematic infinite areas. RPD should have a hook upstairs in the library. Any other problematic areas in maps should have a hook as well.

    This takes Boil Over from being used in a bully squad to being used as intended.

    The maps did not have the problem until this perk was buffed to God-tier broken levels. That tellsme it's the perk's problem and not the maps.

    Plus, it'd be easier to alter the perk instead of go over every map & tile with a comb to find every immunity spot.

1 2 3