Killer Mains, What Happened To Your Killer?
I’m not talking to the people who consider themself a Killer Main because they play, primarily, the Killer side of the game... but to those who specifically played one Killer consistently. You ‘Main’ that one specific Killer, either to this day of not.
You can answer how you want but I’ll pose some questions to sort of dig out what I’m mostly looking to read.
- Who did you Main?
- Why did you Main them?
- Did they change drastically over your time with them?
- Did you “drop” that Killer almost immediately or after a long period of time?
- or Did you adapt to the changes and continue to Main them?
- Did you find a New Main? Who?
- If your Killer hasn’t had any drastic changes or your still fairly new to the game...do you think you would be the type to give up on your Main or continue using them no matter the changes?
I’ve noticed, in my time with BHVR, the way a Killer feels or plays can be changed so much that it can affect the player who plays them, in varying degrees. Just wanna read up a lil about Killers and their choices they made, over their time with DbD.
I think several Killer Mains had, at some point, have to reflect on the Killer they chose to Main (because of changes made to their Killer Power or Kit) and had to choose to stick it out or give it up. I’m looking for those insights.
Comments
I mained Myers for a super long time, because for most of DBDs early years he was the only killer who could 1 shot attack out of stealth. Then I got addicted to tombstones for a while.
I moved onto Ghostface for like a year until I started wanting to play killers with a real “power” outside being sneaky.
Now I just randomly swap between all the killers but if skill based matchmaking goes online I’ll probably spam spirit like everyone else.
My first long time main was Spirit. I was running Hag and learning the game. I saved my shards and bought Spirit when she came out and just fell in love with her.
She didn't really change much, lost collision, vault animation, prayer beads, all of which was fair, IMO.
I played many killers, but mained her since her release.
I have recently switched to Wraith for about last six months. I rarely play Spirit anymore because, well she is pretty damn strong and people tend to just quit.
I like Wraith, they can actually be played quite similar, very aggressive style and when haunted and devour work, it's pretty much ggs.
I main Nurse. As we all know she had that (justified) add-on pass making 80% of her add-ons garbage (unjustified) and also an extra cool down bar was added to her blinks so she has to recharge each one after usage. Never dropped her though cause I still love playing her. I just adapted to the changes after a while minus the bugs of course. You can't adapt to bugs. Bhvr pls.
1. Doctor
2. I was new at the time and had trouble finding survivors. Doctors ability seems simple enough (find survivors and hit them). I realized later how he denies actions so Shock Therapy became a great tool by itself.
3. I started playing in August 2020, so he only received new perks that help (Oppression, Starstruck)
4/5/6. I played Twins and Myers for a while, but ultimately came back to Doctor.
7. Depends. If its a complete rework of his power for the worse then may change. If its a add on change or improvement ill probably continue to play him.
I'm going to add another question; what changes do you want for your main?
8. 2 main changes for Doctor; shock therapy should do damage on top of 0.5 madness tier increase. So if a person goes from tier to tier 3 they become injured. They can't be put into dying state. 2ne change is cooldown for Static Blast. If no targets are hit cooldown should be 20s versus 60s. You get at most 10-13 Static Blasts per match (with double order add ons) for a 10 minute match. Missing one strip you of a valuable tool. No other killer gets punished in the same way for using their power. Blight/Nurse/Bubba recharge multiple charges quickly. Even Bubba loses what 8s for tantrum? But then recharges multiple charges very quickly. Deathslinger is probably the closest to being punished, but even then he takes a few seconds to reload.
Those 2 changes sound annoying. Doctor is already great in chase and your static blast change would make using it more mindless
To be fair, new wraith does old Freddy waaaay better. One of my favorite builds was pill bottle or paint brush. Both enabled a hit and run playstyle while you had wallhacks.
Almost everything I miss about him is replicated in current wraith. Wraith can do hit and run with wallhacks way better. All that’s missing is like 2 minute long exit gates timers.
Billy
gave him overheat to "fix" chainsaw face camping and chainsaw spam.
Made him almost unplayable. Still plays him but has sadly turned more and more from a billy to an m1illy player :(
Nurse, addon pass + basekit cooldown. don't care I just run double recharge so I get the feeling of old Nurse.
Huntress, incoming addon pass. I only played base kit or infantry belt + glowing conco anyway,
1: Trapper
2: Something about getting people to step in traps made me feel like I out smarted them. Like I proved I was a better player than them.
3: Mostly positive changes over the years. They removed the ability to trap under a hook but I wasn't around when that was in the game. The ability to rearm traps without picking them up was appreciated. Along with the add ons rework. Still could use some more tweaks considering SWF destroys trapper.
4: Not really. I play many killers but I still switch back to my trapper.
5: When Corrupt intervention came out I swapped out ruin for it. A few months later when Ruin was reworked I wasn't totally affected by the change. Except for deciding which gen slow down perk to use my trapper hasn't had to adjust.
6: Nurse
7: I'll keep using trapper because it's fun for me but when I get frustrated. I take out my frustration by switching to Nurse so survivors can't bully me.
Who did you Main?
Wraith.
Why did you Main them?
Cause i like how he plays.
Did they change drastically over your time with them?
Wouldn't say any change so far has been drastic, but there have been so many, he's not even close to his original self anymore.
Did you “drop” that Killer almost immediately or after a long period of time?
After a long period of time.
or Did you adapt to the changes and continue to Main them?
In terms of using them effectively, i always adapt. In terms of fun, i don't adapt at all. I either like to play as them or i don't. Wraith only got more fun over time for me, so that made the decision easy.
Did you find a New Main? Who?
Used to main Hillbilly for a while back in the ol' days, cause i find him fun to play too and he was way stronger than Wraith at the time, but i got sick of the Chainsaw noises after a few months so it didn't last too long.
If your Killer hasn’t had any drastic changes or your still fairly new to the game...do you think you would be the type to give up on your Main or continue using them no matter the changes?
If they announce Wraith goes through drastic changes or a full-on rework, i'm going to be extremely nervous. Depending on what happens to him, i might drop the game altogether. Multiple other Killers are still fun to me, but none of them are a hook like Wraith is to me. One example i just mentioned is Hillbilly.
Yeah, you and a old Doctor Main were the inspiration to me making this topic. I couldn’t stick with Freddy, but I saw that you did, so I was thinking back on how different my time with DbD might have been if I adapted more and stuck with Freddy.
The Doctor guy because he gave up Doctor after his rework, which surprised me because I thought it was better, which then shocked my own brain when I realized I did the same thing with Freddy.
So I wanted to see why some people stick with it and others start looking for something else.
Oh, I inspired you to make this thread? I am flattered, thank you <3
And I understand how you feel. His rework turned him into a generic killer and it literally goes against Old Freddy main's preferred playstyle. Of course, he can be fun to play, especially with Dream Pallets, and I think you would have enjoyed it. But it isn't the same.
I remember my first match with his new power. It was on Lery's and everything felt... wrong. I really want his old power back.
Mmhhh I'll have to try this.
I was also interested in this, but I don’t have a ready made Wraith to try.
Same, my friend.
I main Pig and I still do to this day, she is the cutest killer and I love getting my snoot booped, if you know how to play her correctly she can be very powerful and a good killer to play as. I would recommend using the traps in the mid to late game because gens would normally get popped fast. Use your crouch mode when your gonna sneak up or in chase so the survivor can’t predict where you are easily. Her best add ons are crate of gears and tampered timer. Pig is very underrated and I think she needs more love from the devs.
I definitely recommend it, his most recent buff makes him really good at hit and run and relatively relaxing to play.
Other killers I’m usually sweating to land the skill shots but wraith you just walk up and hit people for free half the time.
I’ve been doing discordance, pop, enduring, bamboozle. You could probably swap out enduring / bamboozle but discordance on him is just incredible for hit and run.
Addons I black ward the wallhacks one and the mangled one. Silent bell or windstorm also goes stupidly well it; with an indoor map offering it’s basically a free win but I enjoy free sloppy butcher a ton.
Mine all kinda just stayed bad... lol (Clown, Myers, Wraith slightly better) which makes playing as them not as fun as I'd like.
I still have PH though so thats nice
1.) I used to main Spirit.
2.) She was my main for multiple reasons. I love ghosts/paranormal horror. She had the best lore imo that I had read so far and felt sympathy for her which I was not expecting for a multiplayer game. I thought her aesthetic and visual design was so cool! I wanted a strong killer to master that would invoke different fears in survivors (that she did). She was stupid strong and her power is very nice.
3.) They did change as did their power/add ons quite a bit! In my opinion I do believe it was justifiably so! Her infamous add on "prayer beads" got completely changed so it's useless now tbh. She had collision removed from her phase-walk to prevent gen grabs. She also was given a proper vault animation so she can no longer just phase though windows or mindgame them. I do believe all these changes are alright.
4.) I dropped her a while after she got her changes.
5.) I continued to main her after the changes but stopped for a few reasons. First it did feel easy to win after I spent so much time learning and getting very good at playing her so I got slightly bored. Second, I did feel ashamed and pressured by the community to stop because Spirit is probably the number one complaint that survivors have these past few years. Third, I play a lot of survivor and the matches I did go against some spirits had me very conflicted, sometimes I could outplay them from knowing her power so well, sometimes I could not. The times I couldn't really would get me frustrated and gave me better perspective on how survivors felt about Spirit. I think Spirit gets shafted a lot by the community and isn't really respected which is sad because everything about her is so cool. But I do think some of the survivor complaints are valid.
6.) I main Pig now! I love the saw movies and her power is very cool and interactive. Plus you don't see many Pig mains out there. I am also learning Blight because he is fun AF.
7.) If Spirit never received the changes that she did, I think I would still play her because I was addicted to winning and feeling like I had control over a match despite any variables, but then like my first point I think I would just get bored and move on to a different killer. But I will always love Spirit!
-Who did you Main?
Legion
-Why did you Main them?
Because I wanted to play them after I saw their long trailer in the first place... Well and this game, since they were the reason for me to buy the game. They were exactly what I wanted.
As second I think, it has also much to do with nostalgia by me, since I have in my past also lived like the Legion, before the entity catched them. I mean, I have nobody kill and I had always a permanent residence, but I know how it is to celebrate in a cold abandoned house like the one in Ormond and to have a deep connection between a few people with which you can do everything, because the bound in trust is so strong.
It was the best time in my life imo, even I can't complain about my life today, but still... You think sometimes back.
-Did they change drastically over your time with them?
If Legion is not a synonym in dbd for a drastically change, then I don't know what is.
-Did you “drop” that Killer almost immediately or after a long period of time?
Kind of. I left dbd after this, almost. I play sometimes test matches with the Legion to see, if the devs have bring the fun for Legion mains back in the game, but after it I drop the game again. Since the answer to this question was always "no" so far. I have maybe play 10-15 matches since the rework patch.
-or Did you adapt to the changes and continue to Main them?
Imo, it whas easy for Legion mains to adept, since they got simplified. I doubt it would be possible so easy vice versa for the Legion mains of today, to the old one, if the devs would restore old Legion without the exploits and or op addons.
-Did you find a New Main? Who?
A short time I thought to main Ghostface, I have even bought him, but at the end I am too afraid. Ghostface has also a bug and one day - the devs will fix this bug and I am too afraid that they fix this bug "on the Legion way". So no new mains, or killers for me anyways. If I main something, I like to main something with substance and something that stays as what it is as long it exists. No matter if that is weak, or strong.
-If your Killer hasn’t had any drastic changes or your still fairly new to the game...do you think you would be the type to give up on your Main or continue using them no matter the changes?
I think I answered this question already.
I used to main Legion because I like zooming around the map and the amount of tracking they can have with their power. Also, I liked the idea of a Killer that is multiple Killers.
Then I met the Twins. Victor makes Feral Frenzy look pathetic in comparison he’s a speedy boi and great at actually getting downs. Plus I love the ability to actually play two Killers instead of having different characters that are just cosmetics and have no effect on gameplay like Legion.
•Hillbilly
•He was a strong killer. I liked using his ability to do some spicy curves. He was also imo pretty balanced except the insta saw add ons.
•Yeah after his nerfs i just couldn't stand playing billy.
•I kept playing him after his nerf but after a couple of days I couldn't stand playing him anymore. His scream is too loud and annoying that it gives a head ache. And his add ons are a joke. Theres also another more interesting killers now like blight and oni.
• now I'm playing oni and blight these killers are more fun to play. They're power doesn't punish you as much as Billy's.
-I main The Pig
-Originally chose her because i am a fan of the saw movies but her power solidify her for me. I am a fan of stealth and abilities that like to take a slower, more cautious approach to situations. Her mind gaming is fun to master and her RBT's pushes for more chases and gives me time to evaluate the match.
-I played pig when she first released, her nerfs overtime hindered her especially the end game nerf. A tragedy, never even got to make an end game build.
-I havent dropped her completely but i did try other killers after the EGC nerf, played alot of nurse for a few months but never stopped playing pig. Had to adapt to her nerf by placing the traps faster before the last gen which made the playstyle less adaptive but oh well.
-Nurse but i still suck.
Unless they make pig's ability useless, i wont drop the pig as my main.
I don't think I've found a new main yet, so I'll talk about my old main: Trapper.
He's supposed to be a low tier killer, and I started watching Otz play Trapper and succeed with him, so I was inspired and accepted the challenge of playing a weak killer at high level.
Trapper has changer drastically over time because his traps can no longer be disarmed with toolboxes and he can reset his traps without having to pick them up, and now this new 1 in 6 escape attempt system.
Eventually Trapper was my main solely because I wanted to Prestige III him, so I'd play him til I was burned out of him and beyond, so after I Prestige III'd him I pretty much dropped him as my main.
I have adapted to his changes. I just don't main him.
If I had to pick a new main, the top candidates are Hag and Deathslinger, with Pyramid Head and the Twins a bit behind them in terms of likeable killers.
I can't imagine the devs changing Hag or Deathslinger so much that I'd stop playing them.
As someone who has never had a true main, I'm going to answer these questions.
1. Freddy
2. Because he was fun, cool, and unique
3. The rework of his power
4. I immediately dropped him
5. I'm now a Trickster main
6. I will continue to play Trickster
Started off maining huntress for a year but played nurse on the side. Eventually I realized that huntress on console isn't very fun so I switched to nurse. When her power and addons got gutted I didn't quit, however I did play her a little less than before and started playing more of other killers. I quit nurse for a month recently to try playing spirit but she's just not as fun as I originally thought so I went crawling back to nurse and she's been my bestie ever since. She's been my main for almost 2 years now.
And I'm on console btw so I probably chose the worst killers to main on here but I still find nurse fun most of the time.
Who did you Main?
Billy.
Why did you Main them?
Because I, too, like to chase people with a chainsaw 🎃
Did they change drastically over your time with them?
I think everyone's aware of his rework.
Did you “drop” that Killer almost immediately or after a long period of time?
No, I still play him fairly often.
Did you adapt to the changes and continue to Main them?
Yep.
Did you find a New Main? Who?
No, but I have begun playing other killers more often, most notably Pig (but me and Billy are still best buds)
I main Daddy Trickster, but he's trash
When I first ever started playing it was wraith that was before really any knowledge of game and only for short time. Took a long break and came back and Freddy fukin Krueger is in this Biotch. Get the fuk out. After a while of steam rolling my way up the ranks I learned from a friend about BBQ and how it gives bonus BP. So i did a quick 40 levels on Bubba to unlock all his perks. Well eventually I found my way to the forums and this was a while ago now and no I don't remember the exact person who said this but here is the exact quote "I guarantee there are people who think they can win a ea tourney with their fred" at that time I had like 5 posts so I ain't say nothing but I was that guy. Well come to find out Fred is well you know already. So I'm like ok lets see who's going to get BBQ and I'll try some new killers. PIGGY PIGGY PIGGY got my ass kicked boyyyyy for a little bit but I shouldn't have been where I was fred had carried me at that point. So after unlocking more perks and some fine tuning I made it to rank 1 with her and love everything about her. Even had a ######### moment when a active trap survivor jumped in hatch (not stated in bio). I like to play other killers here and there for a game or two but #1 Pig, #2 fred #3 Huntress all I really need.