The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Pulsar said:

    I picked up Overwatch again recently (big mistake i know) and I forgot about how much better it runs.

    Have you seen that new Ubisoft f2p FPS xDefiance or something? Looks like a cross between Rainbow 6 and Overwatch and the factions are based on stuff like Cleaners from Division and Echelon from Splinter Cell.

    Its honestly been super depressing even scrolling socials as everyone else is having a great time with the event or talking about the new cosmetics and the upcoming PTB changes going live, while I can't even take playing DbD atm :(

    Its definitely been nice having some extra cash to play around with though as there's some good tv and movies streaming atm, plus there's a 14 day free login campaign on FF14 and am enjoying getting back into that so might carry on the subscription; you never know if I'll still be be unable to play DbD after the 27th patch if the hotfixes were anything to go by, and the 'potential fixes with more to follow' doesn't exactly inspire my confidence :')

  • Funny how so many other games can run better than this. Pretty unfortunate.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Funny how so many other games can run better than this. Pretty unfortunate.

    indeed i’ve never experienced anything like this other than DBD.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Funny how so many other games can run better than this. Pretty unfortunate.

    Nah,it must be your super old and outdated hardware

    /s

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    Funny how so many other games can run better than this. Pretty unfortunate.

    Yeah just go spend 500-700$ for your optimization

    Agreed

  • Why would anyone "move on" from the fact that their ######### game doesn't work anymore? I didn't buy a game that was broken, I bought a game that worked and then was broken by the developers. These POS people should be abused at every turn for putting out a completely inferior product and taking peoples money. I mean how TF can you so completely screw up console play in the way that they have? People blink around the map like Tracer from Overwatch (a game that actually works). Im not going to be "understanding" to people who screw their player base over and then have some lame ass anniversary event "celebrating" the game that they so completely #########. ######### these people.

  • @umad said:

    Why would anyone "move on" from the fact that their ######### game doesn't work anymore? I didn't buy a game that was broken, I bought a game that worked and then was broken by the developers. These POS people should be abused at every turn for putting out a completely inferior product and taking peoples money. I mean how TF can you so completely screw up console play in the way that they have? People blink around the map like Tracer from Overwatch (a game that actually works). Im not going to be "understanding" to people who screw their player base over and then have some lame ass anniversary event "celebrating" the game that they so completely #########. ######### these people.

    That's a little...harsh.

    In the future, please try to keep comments to a more respectful tone. I'm as frustrated as you are, but I'd rather not see this closed.

  • @umad said:

    Why would anyone "move on" from the fact that their ######### game doesn't work anymore? I didn't buy a game that was broken, I bought a game that worked and then was broken by the developers. These POS people should be abused at every turn for putting out a completely inferior product and taking peoples money. I mean how TF can you so completely screw up console play in the way that they have? People blink around the map like Tracer from Overwatch (a game that actually works). Im not going to be "understanding" to people who screw their player base over and then have some lame ass anniversary event "celebrating" the game that they so completely #########. ######### these people.

    Keep in mind that they are still people. While I don't appreciate what has been going on at Behavior, there is no need for such statements. Try to form your criticism in a more constructive manner.

  • @umad said:

    Why would anyone "move on" from the fact that their ######### game doesn't work anymore? I didn't buy a game that was broken, I bought a game that worked and then was broken by the developers. These POS people should be abused at every turn for putting out a completely inferior product and taking peoples money. I mean how TF can you so completely screw up console play in the way that they have? People blink around the map like Tracer from Overwatch (a game that actually works). Im not going to be "understanding" to people who screw their player base over and then have some lame ass anniversary event "celebrating" the game that they so completely #########. ######### these people.

    Woah too much there partner we aren't about abusing the devs or anyone else on here.

    The discussion should be constructive and pretty much on topic please. Many of us are quite fustrated too, but aren't taking swings at anyone either.

  • Is this an optimization issue? Xbox One S skill check visual won’t appear but the audio does so good luck fixing gens and healing.

  • I don't have any patience left for people who so obviously don't care about their players. They've paid lip service to console optimizing for years and done nothing. They should be abused and insulted, it's a consequence of lying and cheating people out of their money. If I buy a car that breaks down after 50 miles and I can't get my money back Im not going to be understanding towards the people that sold it to me. Im assuming these people are professionals and that consoles failing to play DBD isn't some surprise. We all know they made a cost/benefit decision at some point to continue to update the game at the expense of players using older hardware. Now they're trying to fix the problem after the fact. They should have just released DBD 2 on newer systems and PC only, and left everyone on older console models with the older game.

  • @umad said:

    I don't have any patience left for people who so obviously don't care about their players. They've paid lip service to console optimizing for years and done nothing. They should be abused and insulted, it's a consequence of lying and cheating people out of their money. If I buy a car that breaks down after 50 miles and I can't get my money back Im not going to be understanding towards the people that sold it to me. Im assuming these people are professionals and that consoles failing to play DBD isn't some surprise. We all know they made a cost/benefit decision at some point to continue to update the game at the expense of players using older hardware. Now they're trying to fix the problem after the fact. They should have just released DBD 2 on newer systems and PC only, and left everyone on older console models with the older game.

    You should start your own thread then and not put this one at risk because of your need to insult people.

  • @umad said:

    Why would anyone "move on" from the fact that their ######### game doesn't work anymore? I didn't buy a game that was broken, I bought a game that worked and then was broken by the developers. These POS people should be abused at every turn for putting out a completely inferior product and taking peoples money. I mean how TF can you so completely screw up console play in the way that they have? People blink around the map like Tracer from Overwatch (a game that actually works). Im not going to be "understanding" to people who screw their player base over and then have some lame ass anniversary event "celebrating" the game that they so completely #########. ######### these people.

    Name calling and using foul language isn’t gonna help the situation. Please be careful of your choice of words in the future.

  • I count down the days to the 27th for all those are struggling to enjoy this game currently no matter what you play on I hope the 27th brings good news for all of us gamers here

    As always love positivity and πŸ½πŸ’–

  • @Darkskies said:

    I count down the days to the 27th for all those are struggling to enjoy this game currently no matter what you play on I hope the 27th brings good news for all of us gamers here

    As always love positivity and πŸ½πŸ’–

    Your positivity is always so heartwarming πŸ€—

  • @Darkskies said:

    I count down the days to the 27th for all those are struggling to enjoy this game currently no matter what you play on I hope the 27th brings good news for all of us gamers here

    As always love positivity and πŸ½πŸ’–

    I am hopeful too since I have been having very bad freezes and stutters that impact my experience of the game and if they don't drastically improve the performance. I might quit the game since this can't stay in this broken state.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I picked up Overwatch again recently (big mistake i know) and I forgot about how much better it runs.

    I'm kind of in the same situation.

    I've been playing a ton of red dead redemption 2. Which runs soooooo much better than DBD despite it being light years ahead in terms of graphics.

  • You all realize they had to have known the updates would break console, right? You all remind me of co-workers Ive had who constantly make excuses for their boss even though they're being taken advantage of. Being positive isn't the same as being a complicit door mat.

  • @zombitehdeath said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380476#Comment_2380476

    I am hopeful too since I have been having very bad freezes and stutters that impact my experience of the game and if they don't drastically improve the performance. I might quit the game since this can't stay in this broken state.

    I know same here lost out on taking part of the advent , the rift and the blood hunt too because of the issues 😭🐷

    I have pre ordered l4d back for blood very excited about playing the beta soon 🀞 plenty of good games coming for us gamers to enjoy .

    But I hope for the best plus the people of the fog need my positive piggy back I'm sure people miss her πŸ·πŸ’–

    I'm hoping the Devs see that our big post has been mostly filled with constructive and respectful pleas and do us gamers proud on the 27th !

  • @BingBongMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2373556#Comment_2373556

    I'm kind of in the same situation.

    I've been playing a ton of red dead redemption 2. Which runs soooooo much better than DBD despite it being light years ahead in terms of graphics.

    Why do I now think our next plan is to protest for a cowboy hat for Mr bing bong ?

    Soon as I read that I just thought of a wraith riding a horse bing his bong to go faster

    But true there is no reason why this game should be struggling only thing I can think of is that they hadn't had a team that could code for console and they are doing what they can till they get correct programmers on board ? The fact pc players also state they have issues is yeah really worrying 🐷😬

  • @Darkskies said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2380621#Comment_2380621

    Why do I now think our next plan is to protest for a cowboy hat for Mr bing bong ?

    Soon as I read that I just thought of a wraith riding a horse bing his bong to go faster

    But true there is no reason why this game should be struggling only thing I can think of is that they hadn't had a team that could code for console and they are doing what they can till they get correct programmers on board ? The fact pc players also state they have issues is yeah really worrying 🐷😬

    Well I know what I'm doing for my next post >:D

  • Predictions for 27th?

    I have a feeling that it will be slightly better but not like pre re. Probably not good enough for me to return.

    And I will probably uninstall and forget about the game for a while.


  • @Shaped said:

    Predictions for 27th?

    I have a feeling that it will be slightly better but not like pre re. Probably not good enough for me to return.

    And I will probably uninstall and forget about the game for a while.

    I'm hopeful for the update. I think the problem was always the HDD thing considering people who put DBD on a SSD say it never ran that well. So, knowing the problem, I hope it's going to be easier to solve it.

    Maybe it won't be our promised 60FPS, but I'd be happy with a stable 30~45 that doesn't drop to the single digits on some maps or some killers.

    At the worst case, they can just give us the Switch treatment and lower the graphic resolution, which I'm sure most people won't care if it means better performance.

  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2382910#Comment_2382910

    I'm hopeful for the update. I think the problem was always the HDD thing considering people who put DBD on a SSD say it never ran that well. So, knowing the problem, I hope it's going to be easier to solve it.

    Maybe it won't be our promised 60FPS, but I'd be happy with a stable 30~45 that doesn't drop to the single digits on some maps or some killers.

    At the worst case, they can just give us the Switch treatment and lower the graphic resolution, which I'm sure most people won't care if it means better performance.

    Absolutely please let us lower the graphics and reclaim some frames

  • There is something that concerns me. If let’s say most of the bugs get fixed is it possible they could comeback in future DLCS? What if the game does get to a point to where it can’t run on last gen console or lower end PC??

  • @Shaped said:

    Predictions for 27th?

    I have a feeling that it will be slightly better but not like pre re. Probably not good enough for me to return.

    And I will probably uninstall and forget about the game for a while.

    I’m hoping that the issues get resolved. Not going to get too excited for it though.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    There is something that concerns me. If let’s say most of the bugs get fixed is it possible they could comeback in future DLCS? What if the game does get to a point to where it can’t run on last gen console or lower end PC??

    The code, the way the game functions, is not optimized. It needs to be torn apart and re-coded. It works on the new consoles because they can brute force their spaghetti code. There may be things BHVR can do to make the game run better as is, but with each new chapter they will be adding to overstuffed unoptimized code, and there's only so much any system can take. Maybe they're hoping that by the time it gets that bad the old consoles will truly be dead. Not sure what their plans would be for the Switch, though, since that is Nintendo's newest system and there's no replacement forthcoming.

    It would be nice if they actually rewrite the code, but I don't see it happening. It's a huge task and I doubt they'd consider it worth spending the time and money to do.

    I'm just talking in terms of performance. When it comes to the game's bugs, like all the audio issues that plague DbD, those seem to get fixed and reintroduced constantly.

  • I don't get any hopes up for the 27th. I will, of course, install the patch, but won't play until the new rift is out. I will see how performance is on here.

    I'm having more fun playing red dead redemption 2 now, since that game is way more playable then this game. I forced myself to play during the event to gather some cakes and the crowns, after that I just left the game until the next rift and bloodhunt.

    If the game isn't working good enough after the mid-chapter, I will take another break and play a game that is working normally. And forget about the rift, too.

  • I wonder how the game will run on my PS4 Pro after the mid chapter, since I already put dbd on a SSD..

  • @legacycolt said:

    I wonder how the game will run on my PS4 Pro after the mid chapter, since I already put dbd on a SSD..

    Ssd will work on my normal ps4?

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    I don't get any hopes up for the 27th. I will, of course, install the patch, but won't play until the new rift is out. I will see how performance is on here.

    I'm having more fun playing red dead redemption 2 now, since that game is way more playable then this game. I forced myself to play during the event to gather some cakes and the crowns, after that I just left the game until the next rift and bloodhunt.

    If the game isn't working good enough after the mid-chapter, I will take another break and play a game that is working normally. And forget about the rift, too.

    I think the rift comes with this patch if i’m not mistaken.

  • Yes, a 2.5 inch SATA SSD drive will fit any PS4 model.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2383483#Comment_2383483

    I think the rift comes with this patch if i’m not mistaken.

    Yes, it does. Wednesday it will release.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2383244#Comment_2383244

    The code, the way the game functions, is not optimized. It needs to be torn apart and re-coded. It works on the new consoles because they can brute force their spaghetti code. There may be things BHVR can do to make the game run better as is, but with each new chapter they will be adding to overstuffed unoptimized code, and there's only so much any system can take. Maybe they're hoping that by the time it gets that bad the old consoles will truly be dead. Not sure what their plans would be for the Switch, though, since that is Nintendo's newest system and there's no replacement forthcoming.

    It would be nice if they actually rewrite the code, but I don't see it happening. It's a huge task and I doubt they'd consider it worth spending the time and money to do.

    I'm just talking in terms of performance. When it comes to the game's bugs, like all the audio issues that plague DbD, those seem to get fixed and reintroduced constantly.

    Looks like it will still be some time before even anyone who has the money is able to upgrade to the newer consoles :(

    Here's hoping the game gets the TLC it needs and deserves rather than burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem 'goes away'.

    https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1419583325757493248?s=20


  • @DarKStaR350z said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2383255#Comment_2383255

    Looks like it will still be some time before even anyone who has the money is able to upgrade to the newer consoles :(

    Here's hoping the game gets the TLC it needs and deserves rather than burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem 'goes away'.

    https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1419583325757493248?s=20

    damn, tomorrow is so crucial for both BHVR and console players.

  • Yes. People from this forum have tested it

  • Just gave up on my killers, and barely can play as survivor due to lag, freezing and frame drops whenever an action occurs ( like killer hooking, downing, using power, survivor using dead hard and so on ), I am a ps4 slim player and can't afford an Ssd to solve this, where I live a ssd worth 1 minimum wage, and a ps5 costs 5 ... so its better save it and change console, but then again, I can't find a ps5 to buy kkkkk

    Praying that this update solve at least 50% of the problems on ps4 =/

    Otherwise it'll be time for take a break until I upgrade my ps4 or behavior fix this ^^

  • Who wants to bet what's gonna break tomorrow?

    I think it's going to brick Switch consoles and overheat PS4s


    Edit

    Wow, just checked, they literally tweeted this a few seconds after I hit post

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1419744872366592004

    The update was literally going to brick Switch consoles lmao

  • @RandDBD said:

    Who wants to bet what's gonna break tomorrow?

    I think it's going to brick Switch consoles and overheat PS4s

    Edit

    Wow, just checked, they literally tweeted this a few seconds after I hit post

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1419744872366592004

    The update was literally going to brick Switch consoles lmao

    Yea I feel for the Switch players, no update tomorrow which means they not only have to wait for the update to et the Rift\Tome, but also they cannot crossplay with other formats and will only be able to play other Switch users until the update releases.

  • @RandDBD said:

    Who wants to bet what's gonna break tomorrow?

    I think it's going to brick Switch consoles and overheat PS4s

    Edit

    Wow, just checked, they literally tweeted this a few seconds after I hit post

    https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1419744872366592004

    The update was literally going to brick Switch consoles lmao

    They didn't say it'd brick Switch consoles.

    The more likely reason is that it just didn't fix the crashes. BHVR wants to re-enable the DC penalties, but if any platform is experiencing crashing they can't. Switch won't have cross-play enabled once the update goes live, so it can be kept separate. The other platforms will have the DC penalties re-enabled while the Switch will not.

    That's my theory, anyway. There's no proof, but the fact that they temporarily re-enabled dc penalties the other day suggests they are in a hurry to get them back up.

  • They should focus on the reason why the DC penalties were disabled in the first place. Who knows if the update tomorrow even fixes anything, I for sure won't keep my hopes up, looking at the past with their game.


    But maybe we'll be surprised tomorrow and we get a working game again.

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    They should focus on the reason why the DC penalties were disabled in the first place. Who knows if the update tomorrow even fixes anything, I for sure won't keep my hopes up, looking at the past with their game.

    But maybe we'll be surprised tomorrow and we get a working game again.

    I wish they would post numbers.

    For instance: "we tested 100 custom matches with this update on PS4, Switch and Xbox One and encountered that X% had this performance, or X% instances of this known bug"

    It's like Scott said a week ago: "if you wanted to know if there were any issues with old gen consoles you only had to play one single game. Just one"

    So they knew about the issues, but probably management didn't care and just wanted it out.

  • This is just an thought I had the other day, but I think they either:

    A) just booted up the game, saw it worked (started to main menu) and put it off without ANY match testing

    B) they booted up the game, tested a few matches, and just released the patch anyway in the hope they would get away with it, like they got away with the things before the RE patch (like getting a frame drop when getting hit with sloppy butcher for example).

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    This is just an thought I had the other day, but I think they either:

    A) just booted up the game, saw it worked (started to main menu) and put it off without ANY match testing

    B) they booted up the game, tested a few matches, and just released the patch anyway in the hope they would get away with it, like they got away with the things before the RE patch (like getting a frame drop when getting hit with sloppy butcher for example).

    For the record, they did know.

    In the 5.0.0 patch notes, they acknowledged an issue affecting Xbox users, which means they did extensive testing on Xbox.

    They knew and pushed it out anyways. Make your own conclusions as to why they didn't delay it.

  • rip switch players


    Head's up: We've postponed Update 5.1.0 on Nintendo Switch to further resolve some issues related to performance. This delay will not affect tomorrow's planned release on other platforms. Thank you for your understanding!


    For more details and some FAQ: https://bit.ly/3i2Afyq

  • @LiunUK said:

    rip switch players

    Head's up: We've postponed Update 5.1.0 on Nintendo Switch to further resolve some issues related to performance. This delay will not affect tomorrow's planned release on other platforms. Thank you for your understanding!

    For more details and some FAQ: https://bit.ly/3i2Afyq

    Capture+_2021-07-27-00-27-23.png

    Great..

  • @GPdMK2 said:

    I'm not sure if there's people talking about performance on pc here as well, but I can see why DBD is not exactly running perfectly on console, that's because even on pc this game is currently poorly optimized. I am currently playing with a GTX 2060 + SSD + I7 10750H. With that I usually got to play above 90 FPS (which to be fair, it's kinda of an issue by itself considering how old this game is), but I started to notice that the game struggles to keep a stable frame depending of where you're in a map, of which killer you're playing and what action is currently being performed ingame (dead hard, killer's m2, etc) the worse case was when my game dropped from 90 something FPS to 52 for no apparent reason during a chase, and even though it's a minor problem in comparison with what's happening on consoles, that shows that the problem is happening everywhere. If a game from 2016 can't keep a stable performance on a modern pc, ofc it won't be able to do it on a old console as well. At this point I would recommend BHVR to just release a optimization update instead of a new killer. It seems the more stuff they add it, the worse it gets performance wise. Very soon you will need a gtx3080 and a ps6 to run this game with a good performance if the performance keeps getting a hit everytime they release something new.

    BHVR cannot optimize, they don't have competent enough programmers to do it.

  • DBD runs at 120fps on a $400 PC. I should know, that's how much I built my PC for and that's how fast the game runs on my PC.

  • Patch notes aren't filling me with hope unless I missed something; I see mentions of Nemesis, Lerys and a few perks but no HDD issue or any other killer\map that were suffering from the freezing and FPS issues.

    I'll wait to see before judging but prepared for disappointment and about 50gb extra HDD space for a few months :')


  • It's way down at the "Other" section:


    • Fixed a lot of Hitches when loading some Hud icons during Gameplay
    • Various crash fixes


1 … 48 49 50 51 52 … 82