Is Spine chill to strong?

As a person who mostly plays stealth killers, I find that spine chill is just way too strong. The ability to completely counter all of the stealth killers with 1 perk slot is absolutely absurd. I think the perk should at LEAST be on a cooldown like premonition, but then it will be just like it lol. I believe it needs a full rework, there SHOULD NOT be a perk that can counter an entire roster of killers. And yes you can moon walk to a gen, but that's just not a viable strategy. The survivor can literally ignore their surroundings and just look at their perks to check if the killer is coming, its such a stupid perk! Also forgot to mention that you get the speed bonus as well, which can be combined with resilience for insane gen and vaulting speeds! Please devs take a look at this very overused perk! It requires no input from the survivor, but tons from the killer.... FOR 1 PERK! Its like 3 perks in one!

Comments

  • Ah yes, people complaining about SC now.

  • @Gay_Police_Dept said:

    Ah yes, people complaining about SC now.

    It counters every stealth killer in the game, what is there not to complain about !!

  • Personally it needs a nerf of some sort. To me it's the most consistently great perk in the game. It's the only perk that has always been in my build due to this consistency.

  • @bubbabrotha @Taiga Why do you think this id like to know?

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911818#Comment_1911818

    It counters every stealth killer in the game, what is there not to complain about !!

    There is a counter however. Once you figure out they have SC, you can circumvent that by not looking in the direction you are going.

  • @bubbabrotha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911821#Comment_1911821

    There is a counter however. Once you figure out they have SC, you can circumvent that by not looking in the direction you are going.

    That's ridiculous, that you have to look away and lose all awareness of your surroundings to counter a single perk!

  • You can counter spine chill just by flicking your camera and looking around a lot.

  • @SquillDBD said:

    You can counter spine chill just by flicking your camera and looking around a lot.

    That's ridiculous, that you have to look away and lose all awareness of your surroundings to counter a single perk!

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911818#Comment_1911818

    It counters every stealth killer in the game, what is there not to complain about !!

    Well, that's what perks are suposed to do, counter things.

  • @Gay_Police_Dept said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911821#Comment_1911821

    Well, that's what perks are suposed to do, counter things.

    They are not supposed to counter ENTIRE POWERS. They are supposed to counter other perks!

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911851#Comment_1911851

    They are not supposed to counter ENTIRE POWERS. They are supposed to counter other perks!

    Who says that? You?

  • Give me an example of another perk which counters a killers entire power other than spine chill?

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911862#Comment_1911862

    Give me an example of another perk which counters a killers entire power other than spine chill?

    Unbreakable counters oni,

    Dead hard counters huntress

    Calm spirit counters doctor,

    And iron will counters spirit.

  • @Zesty said:

    @Bwsted why lol

    It's a good perk. That's it. It never made or broken a trial for me.

    If survivors are reacting to it too much, they'll be very unproductive, which works in my favor. And then I'll know they have it and I can play around it whenever I need, knowing they're overly reliant and won't see me coming.

    If they use it correctly, it gives them a little bit of a headstart. Not a big a deal. It's a perk, it's meant to have some impact.

    As a stalking killer, I really don't care. You can't stalk good survivors when up close without going unnoticed, regardless of Spine Chill. So, that changes nothing. Actually, I'd rather them have that perk than another meta.

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911842#Comment_1911842

    That's ridiculous, that you have to look away and lose all awareness of your surroundings to counter a single perk!

    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. If you were a good killer player you would understand why you need to flick your camera around a lot to even spot the smallest detail in the distance also being aware of what tiles survivors have available to them. All they will see is their spine chill quickly light up and then turn off. It's clear to me that you aren't the best killer player as you are complaining about spine chill which isn't a great perk to begin with.

  • @bubbabrotha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911864#Comment_1911864

    Unbreakable counters oni,

    Dead hard counters huntress

    Calm spirit counters doctor,

    And iron will counters spirit.

    Unbreakable - The Oni doesnt always slug

    Dead hard - The huntress can just wait it out

    calm spirit - Closest to a counter as spine chill, the doctor still gets the notification that a survivor is shocked still, just not the scream

    Iron will - You can still hear footsteps and see grass moving etc

  • @SquillDBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911844#Comment_1911844

    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. If you were a good killer player you would understand why you need to flick your camera around a lot to even spot the smallest detail in the distance also being aware of what tiles survivors have available to them. All they will see is their spine chill quickly light up and then turn off. It's clear to me that you aren't the best killer player as you are complaining about spine chill which isn't a great perk to begin with.

    I'm not talking about general awareness, I'm talking about how its just so stupid that the survivor has zero input on whether or not they will know if the killer is coming by looking at the perk, while the killer has to literally look in the opposite direction, losing sight of all survivors in the process, not to mention the perk has a 36M range, which is bigger than any killers terror radius, so do you walk backwards 36 m to go to a gen ? Sounds pretty broken to me!

  • @MandyTalk Please explain why you believe this perk is balanced in its current state?

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911876#Comment_1911876

    I'm not talking about general awareness, I'm talking about how its just so stupid that the survivor has zero input on whether or not they will know if the killer is coming by looking at the perk, while the killer has to literally look in the opposite direction, losing sight of all survivors in the process, not to mention the perk has a 36M range, which is bigger than any killers terror radius, so do you walk backwards 36 m to go to a gen ? Sounds pretty broken to me!

    Clearly you haven't read what I said at all. I have 4000+ hours in this game, and I've placed high in many tournaments so I guarantee you that I have a better understanding of the game, and Spine Chill is definitely not overpowered.

  • @SquillDBD Oh don't worry I read what you said, I just think you are using your hours played as a barrier to the real issue that we face with this perk. I have over 2k hours and I could say the same thing as you?

  • It is fine however, the only thing I would change about it is how a killer with the undetectable status effect can be detected with it... So I would just make it not work against killers with the undetectable status effect or a survivor with the oblivious status effect. Yeah, I know you can look away to not trigger it, but it is still stupid how a survivor can know you are coming. A lot of new players don't know about this either.

  • @Zesty said:

    @SquillDBD Oh don't worry I read what you said, I just think you are using your hours played as a barrier to the real issue that we face with this perk. I have over 2k hours and I could say the same thing as you?

    There is literally nothing wrong with Spine Chill. It doesn't at all tell you how close or far the killer is. If you are looking around a lot as killer and pressuring the entire map you won't have a problem with this perk. If a survivor hides every time they see spine chill light up nothing will get done.

  • I don't know about this perk, perks like Ds needs a nerf but spine chill? It is quite strong but I run it too counter stealth killers. I never heard of anyone complain about spine chill, I suppose remove the 6% vault speed it's quite op but I think that's good.

  • @NoOneKnowsNova said:

    Personally it needs a nerf of some sort. To me it's the most consistently great perk in the game. It's the only perk that has always been in my build due to this consistency.

    Why say it needs a nerf if you run it, what a strange thing too do. Shhhhhhhhh there are OP perks in the game, I for one do not think spine chill is that OP but that's my opinion. They wont touch DS but knowing the devs they'll nerf the hell out of spine chill ๐Ÿ˜‘

  • @Zesty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911870#Comment_1911870

    Unbreakable - The Oni doesnt always slug

    Dead hard - The huntress can just wait it out

    calm spirit - Closest to a counter as spine chill, the doctor still gets the notification that a survivor is shocked still, just not the scream

    Iron will - You can still hear footsteps and see grass moving etc

    And now you also know that, as a stealth killer, you just have to flick your camera around. Add that to your list, you're welcome :D

  • @Gay_Police_Dept said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911883#Comment_1911883

    And now you also know that, as a stealth killer, you just have to flick your camera around. Add that to your list, you're welcome :D

    no because we are talking about the use spine chill has for the survivor and how little counter play it has when playing a stealth killer, having to turn your whole camera around to lose vision can be poor for gameplay, its also very boring

  • @REL1_C said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1911825#Comment_1911825

    Why say it needs a nerf if you run it, what a strange thing too do. Shhhhhhhhh there are OP perks in the game, I for one do not think spine chill is that OP but that's my opinion. They wont touch DS but knowing the devs they'll nerf the hell out of spine chill ๐Ÿ˜‘

    Well I'm naturally going to run the perks I find the strongest that fit my playstyle. I also use Ruindying on Ghostface (although I've only had 2 matches with him) yet I also acknowledge that was overpowered.

  • Just make it not work when the killer is undetectable.

  • I'm a Ghostface player.


    Spine Chill does nothing. NOTHING.


    All you need to do is not run straight at the generator.

  • Very well-designed and balanced perk IMO, no buffs, reworks or nerfs necessary

  • @Zesty said:

    As a person who mostly plays stealth killers, I find that spine chill is just way too strong. The ability to completely counter all of the stealth killers with 1 perk slot is absolutely absurd. I think the perk should at LEAST be on a cooldown like premonition, but then it will be just like it lol. I believe it needs a full rework, there SHOULD NOT be a perk that can counter an entire roster of killers. And yes you can moon walk to a gen, but that's just not a viable strategy. The survivor can literally ignore their surroundings and just look at their perks to check if the killer is coming, its such a stupid perk! Also forgot to mention that you get the speed bonus as well, which can be combined with resilience for insane gen and vaulting speeds! Please devs take a look at this very overused perk! It requires no input from the survivor, but tons from the killer.... FOR 1 PERK! Its like 3 perks in one!

    I look at it the same way as calm spirit. It's capable of defeating a specific killer (Ghostface) but that just means you're wasting a perk slot if its not that killer, otherwise it gives subpar buffs.

  • @QwQw said:

    Just make it not work when the killer is undetectable.

    ^This.

    It would be so easy.

  • I don't think Spine Chill needs a complete overhaul, because stealth killers are generally weak because they suffer other weaknesses that take precedent over one perk (a very good perk, to be fair). I would suggest buffing select stealth killers instead, but I could see a simple nerf to Spine Chill going like this: When the killer is undetectable, the range becomes 16. That way the stealth killers that rely on sight the most (Ghostie and Myers) can simply be precocious (as i said, they need buffs individually as well)

  • Seems fine. Have you ever watched someone who plays with spine chill? Every time the spooky light flashes on for longer than a second they hop off and run for a locker. Also either the killer is running straight at them and they leave the gen, or the killer is chasing someone around nearby and the light is flickering on and off constantly, triggering skill checks and not really providing that much of a speed boost.

    The boost COULD be clutch if you were opening a gate while the killer is coming at you.

    The indicator is a little biased against killers like Ghostface and Myers who actually require sight to use their abilities.

    As the perk was in the game before the vast majority of stealth killers and perks it would make sense to adjust it to respect undetectable and oblivious status.

    I haven't used it in a long time, but if the extra skill checks actually are a problem, just remove the Great checks.

  • Playing a stealth killer spinechill doesn't do anything to me really, so I don't think a nerf is necessary.

  • There's a reason why it hasn't really been changed in ages, it's actually pretty well balanced

  • God, the us vs them mentality knows no depths. It's okay for perks to be strong.

  • There's no "kinda sorta" option, so I chose yes, but I just want one thing:

    Make Mikey immune to Spine Chill when he's in EW tier 1. He used to be, back before the Undetectable status became a thing, and he's crippled enough in tier 1 that Spine Chill detecting him is just an extra gut punch. He's slow and has practically no lunge, he's still a long way off from having an insta-down ability, stealth is the only thing he has going for him and Spine Chill completely takes that away. Plus, he has that loud breathing at all times to audibly warn survivors.

    Poor slow Mikey gives a survivor with Spine Chill a speed boost just by looking at them. C'mon! #########.

    Half the fun of Mikey is the unsuspecting survivor working on a gen, slowly panning their camera, and having the ever-loving [BAD WORD] scared out of them when they spot that face watching them from behind a tree.


  • agreed. spine chill should not work either with undetectable status OR be a much much smaller range for undetectable. As killer it ruins the fun for me, and as survivor it ruins the joy of jump scare killers. My favorite moments in the game are being scared lol, because as a rank 1 that plays both sides like toxic pos trying to win and outsmart a killer... I enjoy getting bested.

  • Spine Chill is mostly fine. The one main way it isn't is vs stealth killers. What I'd like to see is Spine Chill's max range turns into The Killers Terror Radius + 4m, minimum of... 12 or 16 meters instead of a flat 36 meters. That way it still gives extra warning against undetectable and killers with low Terror Radius, but doesn't make them practically unusable.

  • is no one going to mention how spin chill tells you when hillbilly or oni is coming towards you. Sure you can use terror radius to guess this but if they are going in your direction with there power then they have to face you . Any time you hear either one using the power just look at spin chill and play accordingly.

  • You don't need to moonwalk to counter it, just to look slightly sideways. Very easy to do, and the fact that people using SC rely a lot on it makes it even easier to take them by surprise.

    Besides, comboed with Resilience it gives only a 15% bonus only when you're injured and the killer is directly looking in your direction. I wouldn't call it insane.

  • Spine Chill is fine. It's obviously an annoying perk when you're playing a stealth killer but looking away for a few seconds isn't too hard.

    Had 2 P3 Claudettes with SC on Dead Dawg Saloon when I was Pig. Took me very little time to realize they had it, so instead I walked backwards to the gen. Worked like a charm & I probably ended that game 10+ minutes earlier than it would've lasted.

    My honest opinion is that there should either be a killer perk or a killer addon for stealth killers to counter SC and go fully undetectable. Some might say the perk is OP, but the killer takes a chance & wastes a perk slot if nobody is running SC in the game anyways. Same with the addon idea.

  • Spinechill isn't egregiously bad, but I do think that the whole crabwalk to the gen thing is ridiculous. Truly, I'd like to see Spinechill and Premonition brought into line with each other. Spinechill would be a more general perk that doesn't work as effectively against stealth killers, while Premonition wouldn't be as consistent as Spinechill in most circumstances, but would be effective vs stealth killers.

    Change Premonition to cooldown between 25 and 17 seconds (ptb feedback would be good to determine an exact optimal cooldown). Making Spinechill work at 12 meters against an Undetectable killer seems like it would still give some value while letting Premonition shine and preventing tedious crabwalks.

    That said, I'd rather see changes to other perks before Spinechill.

  • I play Survivor and Killer equally. As a Survivor there are a lot of Perks I'll swap in and out. I NEVER run without Spine Chill; it is always one of the four. That pretty much says it all. Everyone I know runs it too. When I play Killer I tend to find a minimum of two people run it but more often than not, 3-4 of the Survivors I fought had it. I'm pretty sure the DEV can look at the numbers and see how many people who have it available run it.

    That is key, i.e. how many people who have it available to them use it. Don't calculate people into the metrics who don't have it yet and try to claim that not everyone uses it. The real test is what is the percentage of people who have it on tap and leave it on the bench. I'm betting it is pretty low.

  • It's not some super powerful perk, but it is very reliable, and does way too much for one perk, including potentially deleting the power of some killers/perks, even Object has the courtesy to let them slide

  • It is powerful up It is up to the survivor on how to use It. In the end If the killer comes and you can't figure out from where..Well,you get the slap.

    I would also argue It has lost as many games as It has saved..Since people who run spine chill get a bad habit of even If the killer is lightyears away If they see that cat icon turn on they flee in terror thinking the killer is after them.

โ€น 1 2