Only noticed since crossplay: why does PC allow such hateful, profane, discriminatory profile names?

Never before cross play on PS4 had I seen so many profile names ranging from inappropriate to downright appalling and hateful.

I’m just guessing it’s PC via logical deduction because PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have pretty thorough profanity filters, and a user has to get very creative and abstract in order to bypass those respective profanity filter. And even then they’re usually easy to report (on PS4 for PS4 profiles at least).

Why does steam (I’m guessing Steam) allow free reign on all the vile language known to man to be used for a publicly displayed profile name?!

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • Maybe a better thing to ask over at the Steam forums. I know BHVR doesn't do anything about racist and homophobic chat from SWFs. I've reported players for doing that and they're still online a week later

  • @xGodSendDeath said:

    Maybe a better thing to ask over at the Steam forums. I know BHVR doesn't do anything about racist and homophobic chat from SWFs. I've reported players for doing that and they're still online a week later

    Chat offence punishments aren't limited to only bans. There's endgame chat bans, just warnings, and temporary bans.

    Please stop telling people bhvr does nothing. They do.

  • @xGodSendDeath said:

    Maybe a better thing to ask over at the Steam forums. I know BHVR doesn't do anything about racist and homophobic chat from SWFs. I've reported players for doing that and they're still online a week later

    They don't look at reports without a video.

  • I'll gladly provide video. But where do I upload the video?

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    Never before cross play on PS4 had I seen so many profile names ranging from inappropriate to downright appalling and hateful.

    I’m just guessing it’s PC via logical deduction because PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have pretty thorough profanity filters, and a user has to get very creative and abstract in order to bypass those respective profanity filter. And even then they’re usually easy to report (on PS4 for PS4 profiles at least).

    Why does steam (I’m guessing Steam) allow free reign on all the vile language known to man to be used for a publicly displayed profile name?!

    I believe in freedom so, ppl can name their username whatever they want. Idk why ppl get offended over everything.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/196441/only-noticed-since-crossplay-why-does-pc-allow-such-vulgar-disgusting-profile-names

    I believe in freedom so, ppl can name their username whatever they want. Idk why ppl get offended over everything.

    Anybody is free to do what they want in a private setting. In a public space though there needs to be rules and etiquette. It’s not harmless to have a publicly displayed name that seemingly incites/implies violence against a race or minority (for example). Worse, it’s not okay that minors may be exposed to these either.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664123#Comment_1664123

    I'll gladly provide video. But where do I upload the video?

    YouTube.

    Then create a support ticket on DBD website with a link to your uploaded video.

  • The honest answer is Steam has been around for a long time and gamer culture just hasn't really gotten into all of the offensive isms. As a whole the community just doesn't care.

    I know it doesn't seem like it now but the triggering is just a fad. It'll go away just like pogs and digimon did.

  • Its just usually just trolling. Getting mad about it is probably what they want from you anyways. I also doubt BHVR has any control over that type of stuff as well.

  • Getting triggered because an older community uses older rules from a time where people thought things were funny instead of offensive is on you. Maybe get in an old fashioned mindset and have a lark about it instead of getting rustled.

  • Not an issue to take up with BHVR.

    Call up Valve if you're unhappy with their system.

  • @Heartbound said:

    The honest answer is Steam has been around for a long time and gamer culture just hasn't really gotten into all of the offensive isms. As a whole the community just doesn't care.

    I know it doesn't seem like it now but the triggering is just a fad. It'll go away just like pogs and digimon did.

    Racist, homophobic, or sexist language being viewed as ethically and morally wrong is not a fad. (Language that could also potentially be seen by people under the age of 18).

    You’re kind of implying that gaming has been around for ages but gamers don’t grow up.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664222#Comment_1664222

    Racist, homophobic, or sexist language being viewed as ethically and morally wrong is not a fad. (Language that could also potentially be seen by people under the age of 18).

    You’re kind of implying that gaming has been around for ages but gamers don’t grow up.

    Gaming used to be relegated to nerds. We were not cool in the 80s and early 90s. Not by a longshot. It was also more just friends and family deals. Now gaming is mainstream and society decided they wanted to jump in and force their rules on us. That's why they've failed to penetrate gaming culture.

    None of those ists or ics existed back then. It's new. Trust me.

  • Steam allows people to set their names to whatever they want whereas consoles prevent offensive combinations from being used.

  • @Heartbound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664232#Comment_1664232

    Gaming used to be relegated to nerds. We were not cool in the 80s and early 90s. Not by a longshot. It was also more just friends and family deals. Now gaming is mainstream and society decided they wanted to jump in and force their rules on us. That's why they've failed to penetrate gaming culture.

    None of those ists or ics existed back then. It's new. Trust me.

    I’ve been gaming for 3 decades.

    It’s not my nature to imply death and violence on anybody that isn’t a white male. Not even in a joking way.

    So.... it’s supposed to be normal for most gamers to behave (or present themselves) as no different than a Nazi?!

  • @Crowman said:

    Steam allows people to set their names to whatever they want whereas consoles prevent offensive combinations from being used.

    That’s my question though. I wondering why Steam allows this (as open ended question)

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664240#Comment_1664240

    I’ve been gaming for 3 decades.

    It’s not my nature to imply death and violence on anybody that isn’t a white male. Not even in a joking way.

    So.... it’s supposed to be normal for most gamers to behave (or present themselves) as no different than a Nazi?!

    Blacksmith.png

    It's the Blacksmith. Get it? He's Black and a Smith. he he he he he

    Also nobody back then was worried about nazis or whatever. You're just being weird.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664244#Comment_1664244

    That’s my question though. I wondering why Steam allows this (as open ended question)

    Valve doesn't seem to care about this. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being forced to change their steam name.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664187#Comment_1664187

    Anybody is free to do what they want in a private setting. In a public space though there needs to be rules and etiquette. It’s not harmless to have a publicly displayed name that seemingly incites/implies violence against a race or minority (for example). Worse, it’s not okay that minors may be exposed to these either.

    "Worse, it's not okay that minors may be exposed to these either."

    We are worried about minors being exposed to no-no words? In a game about brutally murdering innocent people?

  • @Heartbound said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664245#Comment_1664245

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/0EG77LLX50YN/blacksmith.png

    It's the Blacksmith. Get it? He's Black and a Smith. he he he he he

    Also nobody back then was worried about nazis or whatever. You're just being weird.

    That example is at the lighter end of the spectrum of what I’m talking about, and probably wouldn’t take issue with it myself (more out of being naive by not even thinking about it being a black character that’s also a black Smith).

    But I’m talking about things like profile names like “I like killing (insert offensive name for black people)” or “suck my big (you know what)” Just blatantly horrible inappropriate things.

  • @WTBacon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664208#Comment_1664208

    "Worse, it's not okay that minors may be exposed to these either."

    We are worried about minors being exposed to no-no words? In a game about brutally murdering innocent people?

    That name isn’t exclusive to DBD. If I’m seeing it while playing DBD, 12 yr olds are seeing it if that same player goes and plays fortnite as an example.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664252#Comment_1664252

    That example is at the lighter end of the spectrum of what I’m talking about, and probably wouldn’t take issue with it myself (more out of being naive by not even thinking about it being a black character that’s also a black Smith).

    But I’m talking about things like profile names like “I like killing (insert offensive name for black people)” or “suck my big (you know what)” Just blatantly horrible inappropriate things.

    Oh that's a little different. I was like there's no way you don't remember all the stereotypes and fun stuff. I'm even willing to go so far as saying all the non euros didn't even have effect on the anglosphere til Facebook and stuff I think.

    I'll say I'd never use name handles like that, but as far as the culture as a whole social justice warriors need to remember they're the newcomers, not the other way around. You're not going to change the world by trying to stomp on people. They will slip out of your hands like sand and do the same thing somewhere else.

    Besides I can see why they do it - to tilt you and get a gaming advantage - in a soft pillowy world it doesn't take much.

  • Wow. I had always thought you were a PC killer. Didn't know you were console.

  • @adsads123123123123 said:

    Wow. I had always thought you were a PC killer. Didn't know you were console.

    Yeah, been a Sony guy for a long time.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    Never before cross play on PS4 had I seen so many profile names ranging from inappropriate to downright appalling and hateful.

    I’m just guessing it’s PC via logical deduction because PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have pretty thorough profanity filters, and a user has to get very creative and abstract in order to bypass those respective profanity filter. And even then they’re usually easy to report (on PS4 for PS4 profiles at least).

    Why does steam (I’m guessing Steam) allow free reign on all the vile language known to man to be used for a publicly displayed profile name?!

    the name is through steam, Behavior does not police what is Valve's domain. how ever unlike what other people say behavior does take action on end game chat etc. you just have to report that if you can see it.

    That is incorrect. if you are telling them they were toxic or cheating in game they ASK you for any and all proof you have so they can review it. before dedicated servers they had to get that because they had no data what so ever. With dedicated servers they have access to more information and still ask for video because the more they have to go by the better chance of them making a determination. End Game chat is available to them now and they can act without video proof. I have been told many times I don't need to submit a second report (I do) with screen shots as they have access to it. I have been told by peanits and mclean directly they take action (on their streams) and I got an email from someone telling me that action on my issue has been taken though not what action etc. (that was the only time i got that)

    @Crowman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664246#Comment_1664246

    Valve doesn't seem to care about this. I don't think I've ever heard of someone being forced to change their steam name.

    you are incorrect, I have actaully seen people that have had to change their names due to reports to Valve. I have had many times reported names to valve and they have told me they took action but would not divulge what action (as it is private between the person and valve).

    @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664252#Comment_1664252

    That example is at the lighter end of the spectrum of what I’m talking about, and probably wouldn’t take issue with it myself (more out of being naive by not even thinking about it being a black character that’s also a black Smith).

    But I’m talking about things like profile names like “I like killing (insert offensive name for black people)” or “suck my big (you know what)” Just blatantly horrible inappropriate things.

    yea report those people to Steam. write their names down and do a steam search for them and then report them.

    @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664261#Comment_1664261

    That name isn’t exclusive to DBD. If I’m seeing it while playing DBD, 12 yr olds are seeing it if that same player goes and plays fortnite as an example.

    1) people will change their names, fortnite is not even on steam thus those names won't be seen as you have them, how ever I don't see epic even taking any sort of action due to their chinese controlling parent company.

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/196441/only-noticed-since-crossplay-why-does-pc-allow-such-vulgar-disgusting-profile-names

    the name is through steam, Behavior does not police what is Valve's domain. how ever unlike what other people say behavior does take action on end game chat etc. you just have to report that if you can see it.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664123#Comment_1664123

    That is incorrect. if you are telling them they were toxic or cheating in game they ASK you for any and all proof you have so they can review it. before dedicated servers they had to get that because they had no data what so ever. With dedicated servers they have access to more information and still ask for video because the more they have to go by the better chance of them making a determination. End Game chat is available to them now and they can act without video proof. I have been told many times I don't need to submit a second report (I do) with screen shots as they have access to it. I have been told by peanits and mclean directly they take action (on their streams) and I got an email from someone telling me that action on my issue has been taken though not what action etc. (that was the only time i got that)

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664255#Comment_1664255

    you are incorrect, I have actaully seen people that have had to change their names due to reports to Valve. I have had many times reported names to valve and they have told me they took action but would not divulge what action (as it is private between the person and valve).

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664270#Comment_1664270

    yea report those people to Steam. write their names down and do a steam search for them and then report them.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664272#Comment_1664272

    1) people will change their names, fortnite is not even on steam thus those names won't be seen as you have them, how ever I don't see epic even taking any sort of action due to their chinese controlling parent company.

    “1) people will change their names, fortnite is not even on steam thus those names won't be seen as you have them, how ever I don't see epic even taking any sort of action due to their chinese controlling parent company.”

    Fortnite was just an arbitrary name I pulled from the air. My point was that they could be playing other games with a broader age range and broader demographic.

  • I say there are lines that shouldn't

    @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664252#Comment_1664252

    That example is at the lighter end of the spectrum of what I’m talking about, and probably wouldn’t take issue with it myself (more out of being naive by not even thinking about it being a black character that’s also a black Smith).

    But I’m talking about things like profile names like “I like killing (insert offensive name for black people)” or “suck my big (you know what)” Just blatantly horrible inappropriate things.

    I don't particularly care about what people name themselves. I personally don't think they should be naming themselves I like killing X group but banning it or not isn't going to prevent them from killing that group if they're telling the truth lol. However, the suck my big __ one is fine. I don't see any real reason to be offended about that one. If they're that open to having their sexual urges announced to the world, let them. No different from ppl announcing they're furries or have a foot fetish in their profile names.

  • There's an in-game report option for an offensive name. Just report and move on.

  • Please keep the cult of political-correctness away from vidya. Go be offended somewhere else.

  • honestly the reason why it's allowed on steam is because pc gamers are mostly older teens to adults and then xbox and playstation are advertised as kid friendly

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    honestly the reason why it's allowed on steam is because pc gamers are mostly older teens to adults and then xbox and playstation are advertised as kid friendly

    That seems like a pretty loose explanation as to why Valve/Steam allow “I hate (n word)” as a profile name.

  • @Terro said:

    I say there are lines that shouldn't

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664270#Comment_1664270

    I don't particularly care about what people name themselves. I personally don't think they should be naming themselves I like killing X group but banning it or not isn't going to prevent them from killing that group if they're telling the truth lol. However, the suck my big __ one is fine. I don't see any real reason to be offended about that one. If they're that open to having their sexual urges announced to the world, let them. No different from ppl announcing they're furries or have a foot fetish in their profile names.

    I mean if it’s ok to be that public about it when not knowing what age or background other people reading that are, then I suppose it’s cool to put it in a job application...?

    The way I see it, with online gaming being a PUBLIC space, if you wouldn’t put it in your resume/CV, don’t put it in your gaming profile.

  • @Markness said:

    Please keep the cult of political-correctness away from vidya. Go be offended somewhere else.

    It’s not a cult. It’s about respect. And your comment conveys an implication you don’t know what respect is.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664361#Comment_1664361

    “1) people will change their names, fortnite is not even on steam thus those names won't be seen as you have them, how ever I don't see epic even taking any sort of action due to their chinese controlling parent company.”

    Fortnite was just an arbitrary name I pulled from the air. My point was that they could be playing other games with a broader age range and broader demographic.

    and that is why i said that they can and will change their names for various reasons, including different games. or they are just jerks.

  • @Freki said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664372#Comment_1664372

    and that is why i said that they can and will change their names for various reasons, including different games. or they are just jerks.

    I’m gonna go with jerks 🤣

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664404#Comment_1664404

    That seems like a pretty loose explanation as to why Valve/Steam allow “I hate (n word)” as a profile name.

    ######### my bad dude you mean names like that yeah that shouldn't be allowed regardless of any platform

  • @xGodSendDeath said:

    Maybe a better thing to ask over at the Steam forums. I know BHVR doesn't do anything about racist and homophobic chat from SWFs. I've reported players for doing that and they're still online a week later

    Total lie btw, I literally have a clip saved of someone going live after I've reported them and they were banned as they got on the game, it depends on how often they do it, certain things will get you instantly and permanently banned, some things will give you temporary bans, this whole "bhvr does nothing" is pure fabrication.

  • @humanbeing1704 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664421#Comment_1664421

    ######### my bad dude you mean names like that yeah that shouldn't be allowed regardless of any platform

    @humanbeing1704 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664421#Comment_1664421

    ######### my bad dude you mean names like that yeah that shouldn't be allowed regardless of any platform

    I guess that’s my point.

    I’m not ignoring that they can be reported to Steam/Valve.

    I’m more perplexed why other players can see this to begin with. Profanity filters aren’t exactly new, cutting edge, inaccessible technology.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664384#Comment_1664384

    I mean if it’s ok to be that public about it when not knowing what age or background other people reading that are, then I suppose it’s cool to put it in a job application...?

    The way I see it, with online gaming being a PUBLIC space, if you wouldn’t put it in your resume/CV, don’t put it in your gaming profile.

    U wouldn't put theclownisking in your resume/CV either... If we're going by that judging metric there's going to be very few interesting usernames.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664404#Comment_1664404

    That seems like a pretty loose explanation as to why Valve/Steam allow “I hate (n word)” as a profile name.

    While I agree that language like that shouldn't be allowed, at the same time, it opens up a really big can of worms as to what should or shouldn't be censored, which can easily go too far. I personally don't think Steam should have to be 100% family friendly.

  • @Terro said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664428#Comment_1664428

    U wouldn't put theclownisking in your resume/CV either... If we're going by that judging metric there's going to be very few interesting usernames.

    Ok, my mistake. I should have elaborated further.

    If you wouldn’t put racist, sexist, homophobic, anything else illegal or discriminatory on your resume/CV, it shouldn’t go on other publicly viewed media, such as a gaming profile.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664454#Comment_1664454

    Ok, my mistake. I should have elaborated further.

    If you wouldn’t put racist, sexist, homophobic, anything else illegal or discriminatory on your resume/CV, it shouldn’t go on other publicly viewed media, such as a gaming profile.

    Lol

    I guess only console player could be offended by nicknames in this game

    If you had endgame chat you would stop noticing that very quickly

  • @Bumbus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664464#Comment_1664464

    Lol

    I guess only console player could be offended by nicknames in this game

    If you had endgame chat you would stop noticing that very quickly

    Things like “I tunnel (n word)” is not a harmless nickname.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664454#Comment_1664454

    Ok, my mistake. I should have elaborated further.

    If you wouldn’t put racist, sexist, homophobic, anything else illegal or discriminatory on your resume/CV, it shouldn’t go on other publicly viewed media, such as a gaming profile.

    U know u should just remove the resume/CV part and just say I don't think people should be putting x, y and z. Then we agree to disagree cuz I said that I don't really care about it even though I wouldn't personally do it. As for what qualifies as racist/homophobic/sexist/etc that's another headache to deal with. Then there's the idea of banning vulgarity. There's a reason why I mentioned furries b4. I'd prefer to ban anything mentioning them and their fetishes but I also know that it wouldn't be fair to force my views on people.

  • If gamer tags get you this riled up you need to grow some thicker skin.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664507#Comment_1664507

    Things like “I tunnel (n word)” is not a harmless nickname.

    Man, I prefer 100 games with a player with some nickname like "Killallrussians" saying nothing in the endgame chat than a single game with some "Kitten64" who wishes me to get cancer and uninstall the game.

    Nicknames are not even a shadow of problem in this game.

  • I don't like the idea of censoring swear language in names. Steam is not that family friendly. They allowed to publish 18+ games not so long ago.

    I understand that N word is hardly forbidden. I live in Kazakhstan. I have seen black person IRL maybe twice in my life and never had chance to speak with them but I completely accept this rule. But censoring this word may cause censoring another words. I don't really like where it is going.


    PS. Excuse me, is name Dwight Lives Matter is offencive in your opinion?

  • Please don't encourage censoring the internet. I know there are some bad apples, but don't make everyone be restricted with their steam profile names because of a few people.

    Steam users can report offensive usernames to steam (such as the example you've stated).

  • They should reveal the platform in crossplay so we know exactly where to report...

‹ 1 2 3