Only noticed since crossplay: why does PC allow such hateful, profane, discriminatory profile names?

Never before cross play on PS4 had I seen so many profile names ranging from inappropriate to downright appalling and hateful.

I’m just guessing it’s PC via logical deduction because PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have pretty thorough profanity filters, and a user has to get very creative and abstract in order to bypass those respective profanity filter. And even then they’re usually easy to report (on PS4 for PS4 profiles at least).

Why does steam (I’m guessing Steam) allow free reign on all the vile language known to man to be used for a publicly displayed profile name?!

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • @Teethgrinder83 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665563#Comment_1665563

    hey if giggling like a schoolgirl at naughty usernames is your thing then have your fun, just don't pretend your a big, grown up guy lol I'm plenty happy with me, the Mrs and the dog :) someday you'll understand I'm sure

    Why would I pretend to be something im not, im comfortable in my own skin and I enjoy some humor from people choosing their names on steam. I'm not a grown up 37 year old man with a job and a wife, im a 18 year old kid who laughs at the guy named bonerfart

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    Never before cross play on PS4 had I seen so many profile names ranging from inappropriate to downright appalling and hateful.

    I’m just guessing it’s PC via logical deduction because PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo have pretty thorough profanity filters, and a user has to get very creative and abstract in order to bypass those respective profanity filter. And even then they’re usually easy to report (on PS4 for PS4 profiles at least).

    Why does steam (I’m guessing Steam) allow free reign on all the vile language known to man to be used for a publicly displayed profile name?!

    because steam doesnt know how to filter player user names, sure they are censored on the steam profile pages but in game they are as clear as day.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665779#Comment_1665779

    Why would I pretend to be something im not, im comfortable in my own skin and I enjoy some humor from people choosing their names on steam. I'm not a grown up 37 year old man with a job and a wife, im a 18 year old kid who laughs at the guy named bonerfart

    Yeah, that's not the kind of name we're talking about, at all.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665814#Comment_1665814

    Yeah, that's not the kind of name we're talking about, at all.

    cant really put a vulgar name on the forums I can only put a borderline example

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665466#Comment_1665466

    You should check out Somalia before 2012. A true anarchist state, total freedom for everyone.

    Ur using a extremist mentality and labeling as "freedom" when clearly, that is not what I'm referring to.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665481#Comment_1665481

    Ur using a extremist mentality and labeling as "freedom" when clearly, that is not what I'm referring to.

    It was indeed total freedom, you could do anything because nothing was illegal. Maybe you just don't want total freedom.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665828#Comment_1665828

    It was indeed total freedom, you could do anything because nothing was illegal. Maybe you just don't want total freedom.

    Ur referring to anarchy. I'm not talking about anarchy. Ur freedom is violence. My freedom is about offending ppl. Its ok to have freedom where ppl are offended. It's not ok to have pre 2012 Somalia, as u would call "total freedom".


    We CAN have rules and regulations WITHOUT infringing upon individual rights and liberty. but it may offend ppl. My freedom is u can exercise freedom, but not physically harm ppl.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665860#Comment_1665860

    Ur referring to anarchy. I'm not talking about anarchy. Ur freedom is violence. My freedom is about offending ppl. Its ok to have freedom where ppl are offended. It's not ok to have pre 2012 Somalia, as u would call "total freedom".

    We CAN have rules and regulations WITHOUT infringing upon individual rights and liberty. but it may offend ppl. My freedom is u can exercise freedom, but not physically harm ppl.

    Anarchy is total freedom, whether you like it or not. Nobody answers to anyone, everyone does whatever they want. That is what total freedom looks like - anarchy.

    We CAN have rules and regulations WITHOUT infringing upon individual rights and liberty.

    You literally can't. The whole point of rules and regulations is that they prohibit you from doing certain things, thereby infringing on individual rights and liberty. In the USA, for example, saying certain sentences can get you arrested and/or put under federal investigation - look it up.

    Also, just for the record, you literally have no rights unless your government says you do, because rights aren't some god-given mystical construct, they're just a list of things your government says you can do.

  • I mean, as long as its not blatantly offensive I'm fine with it.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1666065#Comment_1666065

    Anarchy is total freedom, whether you like it or not. Nobody answers to anyone, everyone does whatever they want. That is what total freedom looks like - anarchy.

    We CAN have rules and regulations WITHOUT infringing upon individual rights and liberty.

    You literally can't. The whole point of rules and regulations is that they prohibit you from doing certain things, thereby infringing on individual rights and liberty. In the USA, for example, saying certain sentences can get you arrested and/or put under federal investigation - look it up.

    Also, just for the record, you literally have no rights unless your government says you do, because rights aren't some god-given mystical construct, they're just a list of things your government says you can do.

    But thats ur definition. I'm just trying to clarify my definition. Freedom without physically harming someone else.


    U can have freedom Grand Theft Auto style. But that's not my meaning of freedom.


    Ive already said it plain and simple in my earlier post.

  • @noctis129 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1666074#Comment_1666074

    But thats ur definition. I'm just trying to clarify my definition. Freedom without physically harming someone else.

    U can have freedom Grand Theft Auto style. But that's not my meaning of freedom.

    Ive already said it plain and simple in my earlier post.

    You’re already contradicting yourself.

    If there is division on defining what certain things are (because you want the freedom to define your own definitions of things), this is this exactly the kind of thing that starts off societal discord. The kind that can lead to anarchy.

  • Names with explicit and kinky language should be allowed, however hurtful, racist, homophobic or xenophobic names should not be allowed.

  • People who say it's the century of snowflakes are probably the same people who get offended over "ok boomer".

  • Damn, looking through this thread, people have some ######### up views about the world, it's honestly disgusting, that people are defending racist names.

    If you're defending having a racist name, please go seek professional help.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1666138#Comment_1666138

    You’re already contradicting yourself.

    If there is division on defining what certain things are (because you want the freedom to define your own definitions of things), this is this exactly the kind of thing that starts off societal discord. The kind that can lead to anarchy.

    I'm really not sure what else to tell u. I don't believe in anarchy. I'm not an extremist. I really don't care if u think I'm contradicting myself. I further decline to go down some rabbit hole that is way off topic, and non-essential to the original point.

  • Because people can tolerate ######### on PC and don't just start crying when a name shows up that they don't like.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664222#Comment_1664222

    Racist, homophobic, or sexist language being viewed as ethically and morally wrong is not a fad. (Language that could also potentially be seen by people under the age of 18).

    You’re kind of implying that gaming has been around for ages but gamers don’t grow up.

    It shouldn’t be seen by under 18’s because it’s an 18+ game

  • @ThePolice said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664232#Comment_1664232

    It shouldn’t be seen by under 18’s because it’s an 18+ game

    Eye roll.

    Why do so many have this limited thinking that a profile name is limited to JUST DBD?!

  • At the very least they can do a name filter for steam users, like the one on CS:GO which gives everyone random names like: Orange, Purple etc


  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1666902#Comment_1666902

    Eye roll.

    Why do so many have this limited thinking that a profile name is limited to JUST DBD?!

    Well this is a dbd forum, if you have an issue with steam go on the steam forums, not the dbd ones.

  • @Boss said:

    Looks like Steam heard you and is taking one step: https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2855803154584367416

    Oh wow. I didn’t even contact them.

    Still though, I didn’t read anything about publicly displayed profile name.

    The part that says they had requests/pressure from their partners: I’m gonna guess this is since the implementation of cross play across a lot of different games. I’m also going to guess that Nintendo are probably one of the companies that reached out to Steam about this.

  • @TheClownIsKing said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1668974#Comment_1668974

    Oh wow. I didn’t even contact them.

    Still though, I didn’t read anything about publicly displayed profile name.

    The part that says they had requests/pressure from their partners: I’m gonna guess this is since the implementation of cross play across a lot of different games. I’m also going to guess that Nintendo are probably one of the companies that reached out to Steam about this.

    Yeah, so i named it just one step.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664115#Comment_1664115

    Chat offence punishments aren't limited to only bans. There's endgame chat bans, just warnings, and temporary bans.

    Please stop telling people bhvr does nothing. They do.

    17c.png

    I'm honestly unsure if in-game reports do anything regarding chat stuff. I've submitted video reports of abuse stuff and nothing happened to the players. Steam will, in very rare cases, do something. Otherwise, they're massively complacent for anything hateful.

  • @Eninya said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664121#Comment_1664121

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/CULIEH7VGHDS/17c.png

    I'm honestly unsure if in-game reports do anything regarding chat stuff. I've submitted video reports of abuse stuff and nothing happened to the players. Steam will, in very rare cases, do something. Otherwise, they're massively complacent for anything hateful.

    I cancan vonfirm they work since I've had people banned permanently for calling me that one slur for gay people and that one slur for poc but sure they don't do anything I guess.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665779#Comment_1665779

    Why would I pretend to be something im not, im comfortable in my own skin and I enjoy some humor from people choosing their names on steam. I'm not a grown up 37 year old man with a job and a wife, im a 18 year old kid who laughs at the guy named bonerfart

    Because you were misleading in your first post-you sounded far older than 18. Keep on giggled my friend

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1664920#Comment_1664920

    People who say it's the century of snowflakes are probably the same people who get offended over "ok boomer".

    What's weird about this statement is that its not true. Throughout human history everyone has been and taken offense to things and have been snowflakes. In the past when a person didn't like a message or statement/line the actors said in a movie or TV show they would write letter to the stations complaining to them about it. To say this century is full of snowflakes is wrong when every century has had snowflakes.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1666161#Comment_1666161

    What's weird about this statement is that its not true. Throughout human history everyone has been and taken offense to things and have been snowflakes. In the past when a person didn't like a message or statement/line the actors said in a movie or TV show they would write letter to the stations complaining to them about it. To say this century is full of snowflakes is wrong when every century has had snowflakes.

    Yup. It's like the complaints about "cancel culture" or literally any technological development in recorded history.

  • @Teethgrinder83 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665814#Comment_1665814

    Because you were misleading in your first post-you sounded far older than 18. Keep on giggled my friend

    I think you forget that misleading people is fun and totally something that someone immature would do.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1665779#Comment_1665779

    Why would I pretend to be something im not, im comfortable in my own skin and I enjoy some humor from people choosing their names on steam. I'm not a grown up 37 year old man with a job and a wife, im a 18 year old kid who laughs at the guy named bonerfart

    Why would you pretend your someone your not? Your very first comment in this thread made you sound older than just 18

    "Getting triggered because an older community uses older rules from a time where people thought things were funny instead of offensive is on you. Maybe get in an old fashioned mindset and have a lark about it instead of getting rustled"

    Sorry if that comment made me think you were in the "older community". Maybe next time don't use my generation as an excuse to be a #ic# and just own it yourself

  • Good God, this thread.


    So, very glad to see steak take the proper steps. Let others decide whether or not they want to see profanity. Leave the gamers with the right to make their names whatever they want. This culture we are creating where rules are supposed to protect our feelings is so toxic.


    Let people be. If you're offended then say your piece then, block them or ignore them.

    Stop trying to be somebody's Savior. If a kid under 18+ is playing games with these types of names then their parents are responsible for that. Or responsible for making sure the content their kids are on is fully appropriate.


    As for anyone arguing that simply because it's offensive it shouldn't be allowed. You need to grow up. If you have this naive way of thinking that the world is supposed to be comfortable and unoffending, someone lied to you. Or didn't raise you right.


    Ps. Yes, you can defend someone right to make racist, sexist, homophobic, ect. Without being racist, sexist homophobic ect

  • This thread has been going on long enough, we want to reiterate that people's names are related to their specific platforms, if you have issues with them, please report them to the platforms themselves.

1 2 3 ›