You changed Ruin bc it "wasn't fun" to go against but now it's fun to look for totems all game?

inb4 I'm all in for strong killer perks but I, for one, feel like certain combos are straight OP at the moment.

also inb4 this is not against the Ruin change specifically, but rather how Undying combos will negatively affect the amount of fun in the game. As a survivor because it has the potential to be extremely oppressive. AS a killer, because it is completely rng based so essentially if they find Undying first you lost your build and possibly the game.

So basically the devs did a full 180 on the fun premise and made totems twice as hard to find. It's already a pain in the neck when these potato teammates can't find Ruin (or any other hex totem) once, and now you expect people to do it 2, maybe 3 times?? RIP solo queue, now on half of the games no gens will ever get done and when they do 3 people will be on death hook. Expect more DCs and people killing themselves once Devour Hope kicks in. More braindead NOED killers? Woohoo sounds like a blast. How is that fun in any way especially for solo players?

I honestly don't understand Behaviour's logic with these new perks. Yeah they're really strong, great but at what cost? Hopefully they'll balance things out once the new chapter goes live unless they want their player numbers to keep nosediving like they did this month.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • @Boss said:

    They really want people to do bones.

    @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550751#Comment_1550751

    That still remains in line with the devs philosophy with totems & Hexes.

    They cant be removed without survivors spending time finding and cleansing them. It’s one of the key fundamental ways the game can be stalled for killers. Something which they often overlook by getting too focused on the loss of a hex instead.

    Undying + any other Hex isn’t simply about keeping a hex in the game longer, it’s about creating further stall in the game.

    Well, as people asked for a secondary objective, BHVR stated that they consider totems to be such. Since survivors didn't want to do the secondary objective and just do generators, BHVR now gave killers build options to force it.

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551116#Comment_1551116

    Distortion is all but useless. Walk near a dull totem and you lose a charge. It will be gone before the first gen.

    @Azgard12 It works with HG. Break HG, it triggers, and you get a new HG. Same with DH, Ruin, NOED, etc. It is an extremely OP perk when you add in 6 seconds of aura sight to it. Just come within 2 meters and I can see you aura. This is pure stupidity. I like a challenge as a killer, but I don't want to face constant SWF because the devs just keep making it harder for solo que survivors. Pure stupidity.

    I do want a protection perk for totems, but not one like this. Give us a Dark Intervention-type perk that locks totems for 180 seconds or maybe even locks totems during ever hook and for 10 seconds afterwards. How about one that earns charges for every hit the killer gets. Each charge adds 4 seconds onto the time it takes to cleanse a totem.

    In a swf with one person running distortion everyone knows the killers build now. You get everyone on a totem and done


    Corrupt intervention on totems with aura for 2-3 minutes would be fair. Then once it unlocks aura reading goes away. Adding 4 seconds per hit would be more insane

  • @EuphoricBliss35 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551154#Comment_1551154

    In a swf with one person running distortion everyone knows the killers build now. You get everyone on a totem and done

    Corrupt intervention on totems with aura for 2-3 minutes would be fair. Then once it unlocks aura reading goes away. Adding 4 seconds per hit would be more insane

    You are talking about a limited set of groups playing a specific perk. Coordinated SWF with one using Distortion being able to get everyone on a totem at once would be insanely skilled. There are groups who can, but those are few and far between. Solo que would still be immensely hindered by this perk and how it works with others.

    As for how many seconds to add on, that was a spitball figure. My overall point is that there are much more effective ways to protect totems without making it game breaking.

  • @CalamityJane said:

    The worst part of this perk is that it's Thrill of the Hunt on crack. Seriously, it reveals all survivors near ALL totems? Can't even cleanse dull totems without having your aura shown, THAT'S ridiculous.

    I was thinking its funny how this is basically just a better thrill of the hunt.

    Who needs the slow down speed on breaking it when you can see them before there even on it.

    High mobility killers like billy nurse the new killer will benefit the most from this.

    It is strong and i like the fact that there bringing in new strong perks for killer but seeing the auras is to much.

    You can also guarantee a map will almost always be brought in now.

    Rip trapper

  • @Flawless_ said:

    inb4 I'm all in for strong killer perks but I, for one, feel like certain combos are straight OP at the moment.

    also inb4 this is not against the Ruin change specifically, but rather how Undying combos will negatively affect the amount of fun in the game. As a survivor because it has the potential to be extremely oppressive. AS a killer, because it is completely rng based so essentially if they find Undying first you lost your build and possibly the game.

    So basically the devs did a full 180 on the fun premise and made totems twice as hard to find. It's already a pain in the neck when these potato teammates can't find Ruin (or any other hex totem) once, and now you expect people to do it 2, maybe 3 times?? RIP solo queue, now on half of the games no gens will ever get done and when they do 3 people will be on death hook. Expect more DCs and people killing themselves once Devour Hope kicks in. More braindead NOED killers? Woohoo sounds like a blast. How is that fun in any way especially for solo players?

    I honestly don't understand Behaviour's logic with these new perks. Yeah they're really strong, great but at what cost? Hopefully they'll balance things out once the new chapter goes live unless they want their player numbers to keep nosediving like they did this month.

    Funny enough.


    These perks are actually functioning like HEX perks are MEANT to function as. There's a reason almost no hexes get used in any game besides DH and Haunted Grounds up to now because they all SUCKED. Even ruin was meh for a hex. These hexes are actually OP and there go justifiable as cleansable totem types since the entire point of the gimmick is that you risk counterability for an absolute power spree in that department.


    I hope they take this design philosophy and return to older, eternally unused and worthless hexes and apply it to them too although undying seems to make hex thrill of the hunt sort of redunant except for that small speed slow down.


    But, what you said is still true. Sadly because SWF won't properly get punished for playing something that by default obliterate balance this cannot be fixed. There isn't some mythical middle line between OP like hexes should be and fair to solos while swf are in the equation. It's just another reason that the SWF need to be anwered by either being cut apart from the main survivors and killer queues or put specifically in their own private lobby-like KYF is- once that is done we can start actually modifying aspects of the game with solos in mind and giving them better perks and base kits.


    I would suggest devs: deal with the swf by making them create their own lobby. If it's all about having fun with friends then it's no big deal, maybe have some sort of connection between KFY so any incomplete teams can search for each other and form a bigger lobby where people rotate killer based on wins or loses sort of like a fighting game lobby.


    Then dramatically up the points given by lit totem destructions. I would also suggest that lit totem powers all be made as powerful as these BUT...all totems have a grace period of power up. They talked about having a start game stall so maybe in this period totems can cause a sort of mild wider radius ambient effect, as if their evil is warping reality while a big hex bar fills up.

    Then the hex totems randomize again and lit up at different places. It would give solos a chance to find them in these small maps and make it clear to them that this is just as important as gens. It would also give them some anxiety and alert that hexes are in play. In a way that I think would be better than the cursed notifer, which I think should be removed.


    I don't know if survivor should have a hex counter the entire game but if we had a hex power up period like I said maybe there can be a hex counter there. With each hex powering up the bar to their to activation quicker. Doubling the mentality to go after them.

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551057#Comment_1551057

    No, I'm a killer, not a survivor. I've played survivor, but I have only one maxed out. I have 8 killers maxed out. It is not a second chance perk, it is a third and a fourth chance perk. It is one that will do even more harm to solo play. Personally, I don't want to hurt solo play because I don't want to face non-stop SWF because solo is not worth playing anymore.

    I get tired of hearing the whining from so many killers on this forum about DS and Dead Hard. Dead Hard rarely, if ever works on a good killer. I only get caught by dead hard when they literally pop around the corner, giving ME a jump scare. Otherwise, I anticipate it and hesitate on the swing. DS is a joke. The only problem with that perk is the locker jump. It should deactivate inside a locker. I rarely get hit with it due to the fact I'm usually chasing and hooking others. I do agree it is used as a weapon more than a defense though. Which is stupid.

    Undying is a broken perk and it will cause a lot of really broken scenarios that will absolutely own solo groups. That, is bad for the game. Period.

    You counter it's transfer effect by cleansing dull totems first which mostly everyone does because lol Haunted Grounds or the totem itself because lol it's a hex. Weaksauce. And timing when to do it safely is easy assuming you're watching your teammates status at the bottom.

    And no, at max it can only regen another hex 3 times assuming no one has seen a single dull or the hex totem itself and that you're only using only one additional hex for maximum effect. That's incredibly unlikely in a number of scenarios.

    And it won't be passively pinging peoples positions away because you have to be right on top of it to trigger the aura effect.

    This is not comparable to old Ruin which literally forced people to either stop working together, or to find ridiculous workarounds.

  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551092#Comment_1551092

    You counter it's transfer effect by cleansing dull totems first which mostly everyone does because lol Haunted Grounds or the totem itself because lol it's a hex. Weaksauce. And timing when to do it safely is easy assuming you're watching your teammates status at the bottom.

    And no, at max it can only regen another hex 3 times assuming no one has seen a single dull or the hex totem itself and that you're only using only one additional hex for maximum effect. That's incredibly unlikely in a number of scenarios.

    And it won't be passively pinging peoples positions away because you have to be right on top of it to trigger the aura effect.

    This is not comparable to old Ruin which literally forced people to either stop working together, or to find ridiculous workarounds.

    Yes, three transfers. The aura site is too much though. Even dull totems get aura site. A bit much, especially for solo que.

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551298#Comment_1551298

    Yes, three transfers. The aura site is too much though. Even dull totems get aura site. A bit much, especially for solo que.

    When I go into a solo queue I know 4 things. One I'll probably have to deal with the killer by myself. I'll have to do gens by myself. Or I'll need to deal with totems by myself. With 3 other players doing "something" all match.

    That's the reality of solo. It's harder. And it's still a hex, so there is a 1 in 5 chance it'll instantly be destroyed by an opportunist. That's 1/4th of your perks permanently destroyed.

    There's no boohoo swf. Solo is your argument? If you've played killer as you've said, you'd know you'd need all the advantages you can get. Solo teams are destroyed because the killer is geared to deal with swf. Why doesn't solo attack swf eh? Your friends are ruining my hermit games.

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551116#Comment_1551116

    Distortion is all but useless. Walk near a dull totem and you lose a charge. It will be gone before the first gen.

    @Azgard12 It works with HG. Break HG, it triggers, and you get a new HG. Same with DH, Ruin, NOED, etc. It is an extremely OP perk when you add in 6 seconds of aura sight to it. Just come within 2 meters and I can see you aura. This is pure stupidity. I like a challenge as a killer, but I don't want to face constant SWF because the devs just keep making it harder for solo que survivors. Pure stupidity.

    I do want a protection perk for totems, but not one like this. Give us a Dark Intervention-type perk that locks totems for 180 seconds or maybe even locks totems during ever hook and for 10 seconds afterwards. How about one that earns charges for every hit the killer gets. Each charge adds 4 seconds onto the time it takes to cleanse a totem.

    You lose all your tokens though.

    If the killer is capable to build up DH twice without the survivors doing practicly any totems at all then the survivors were probably going to lose no matter what perks the killer was running

    If all 4 survivors do 3 dull totems this perk becomes a mediocre aura reading perk ... on a hex

    And that's assuming the killer only uses 1 other hex perk

    I feel you are very much giving this the best case scenario treatment. This is still a perk that can be removed 15 seconds into the match

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    wouldn't this make NOED more op?

    That's only IF Undying is kept until end game.

    No survivor ignores a lit totem.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550677#Comment_1550677

    That's only IF Undying is kept until end game.

    No survivor ignores a lit totem.

    that's true it the only time they do totems there need to be a perk to hidden hex totems make them look like null then I wonder how that would go..🤣

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551462#Comment_1551462

    that's true it the only time they do totems there need to be a perk to hidden hex totems make them look like null then I wonder how that would go..🤣

    BHVR is already known to not give a flying ######### about totem locations and spawns which is why they keep making these perks to make up for their lack of understanding.

    "Oh? Survivor spawns next to a lit totem? Let's make a Hex that MOVES THE ######### TOTEM SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

    Instead of actually fixing totem locations.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551474#Comment_1551474

    BHVR is already known to not give a flying ######### about totem locations and spawns which is why they keep making these perks to make up for their lack of understanding.

    "Oh? Survivor spawns next to a lit totem? Let's make a Hex that MOVES THE ######### TOTEM SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

    Instead of actually fixing totem locations.

    Unfortunately, their model for a lot of things that should be fixed is to just create a perk that . . . well . . . partially does it. Unfortunately, we can only run four perks a match, so there's a very limited amount of BS we can "fix" per match.

  • I think everybody are overreacting about new perks.

    I love them, they are strong and they add something new to the gameplay, also they'll make hex builds more fun.

    They'll force survivors to focus on totems so the gen rush issue can be solved in a way.

    There's nothing wrong with the new perks imo.

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551474#Comment_1551474

    BHVR is already known to not give a flying ######### about totem locations and spawns which is why they keep making these perks to make up for their lack of understanding.

    "Oh? Survivor spawns next to a lit totem? Let's make a Hex that MOVES THE ######### TOTEM SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

    Instead of actually fixing totem locations.

    is that what the do with every thing band ad fixes.

  • @Flawless_ said:

    inb4 I'm all in for strong killer perks but I, for one, feel like certain combos are straight OP at the moment.

    also inb4 this is not against the Ruin change specifically, but rather how Undying combos will negatively affect the amount of fun in the game. As a survivor because it has the potential to be extremely oppressive. AS a killer, because it is completely rng based so essentially if they find Undying first you lost your build and possibly the game.

    So basically the devs did a full 180 on the fun premise and made totems twice as hard to find. It's already a pain in the neck when these potato teammates can't find Ruin (or any other hex totem) once, and now you expect people to do it 2, maybe 3 times?? RIP solo queue, now on half of the games no gens will ever get done and when they do 3 people will be on death hook. Expect more DCs and people killing themselves once Devour Hope kicks in. More braindead NOED killers? Woohoo sounds like a blast. How is that fun in any way especially for solo players?

    I honestly don't understand Behaviour's logic with these new perks. Yeah they're really strong, great but at what cost? Hopefully they'll balance things out once the new chapter goes live unless they want their player numbers to keep nosediving like they did this month.

    Because totems are so hard to find and ruin. Regress gens. "So fast" that getting off the gen would be a waist and there is still the rng of is it the new hex or is it ruin and gets replaced people dont do totems well now you have a reason to

  • @BigBrainMegMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550677#Comment_1550677

    That's only IF Undying is kept until end game.

    No survivor ignores a lit totem.

    I've seen plenty of survivors say they'll leave a lit totem incase it's Haunted Grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they are more scared of lit totems knowing Haunted Grounds could be activated more than once. 😂

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551178#Comment_1551178

    You are talking about a limited set of groups playing a specific perk. Coordinated SWF with one using Distortion being able to get everyone on a totem at once would be insanely skilled. There are groups who can, but those are few and far between. Solo que would still be immensely hindered by this perk and how it works with others.

    As for how many seconds to add on, that was a spitball figure. My overall point is that there are much more effective ways to protect totems without making it game breaking.

    It’s not that hard tbh. Most people know totem spawns

  • The only totems that would really be problematic (Devour, Third Seal and Lullaby) get gimped by this perk anyways because they lose all their stacks if they move. Ruin is a joke now because it does literally nothing if you just hold M1 on a gen and is STILL half as fast as a repairing survivor at level 3. Even the new hex perk that blocks pallets is countered by using windows, which most good survivors use anyways because they can't be broken.

  • As a killer I totally love this perk and don't want any changes of course, cause I'm sure you can run some really cool and fun builds. BUT as a solo survivor I think revealing the aura is a lil bit too much. Or at least buff small game to prevent this. I like to run inner strength and usually I try to activate it before I get injured, but it's not always possible. So now, when I'm injured and trying to cleanse a totem to heal myself I will get downed again, because the killer can see my aura. So as a killer this perk is pretty awesome, as a solo survivor it's quite awful.

  • @Flawless_ said:

    inb4 I'm all in for strong killer perks but I, for one, feel like certain combos are straight OP at the moment.

    also inb4 this is not against the Ruin change specifically, but rather how Undying combos will negatively affect the amount of fun in the game. As a survivor because it has the potential to be extremely oppressive. AS a killer, because it is completely rng based so essentially if they find Undying first you lost your build and possibly the game.

    So basically the devs did a full 180 on the fun premise and made totems twice as hard to find. It's already a pain in the neck when these potato teammates can't find Ruin (or any other hex totem) once, and now you expect people to do it 2, maybe 3 times?? RIP solo queue, now on half of the games no gens will ever get done and when they do 3 people will be on death hook. Expect more DCs and people killing themselves once Devour Hope kicks in. More braindead NOED killers? Woohoo sounds like a blast. How is that fun in any way especially for solo players?

    I honestly don't understand Behaviour's logic with these new perks. Yeah they're really strong, great but at what cost? Hopefully they'll balance things out once the new chapter goes live unless they want their player numbers to keep nosediving like they did this month.

    Does anybody cares about Killer's fun ? Nope.

  • @Pryzm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551298#Comment_1551298

    Yes, three transfers. The aura site is too much though. Even dull totems get aura site. A bit much, especially for solo que.

    It's only 2 meters calm down

  • Which is permanent on anyone for the entire time they're cleansing a totem, including dulls. The issue isn't walking past a totem, it's that you have to cleanse ruin up to 4 times and every time you are cleansing it the killer sees you.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    wouldn't this make NOED more op?

    Noed requires a dull totem if you see one lit you could always just leave that

    Cleanse all other dull totems and then lit

    Noed can't spawn if no dull totems remain

  • @CalamityJane said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551843#Comment_1551843

    Which is permanent on anyone for the entire time they're cleansing a totem, including dulls. The issue isn't walking past a totem, it's that you have to cleanse ruin up to 4 times and every time you are cleansing it the killer sees you.

    Which is the appropriate value of a hex perk

  • Watching killers play all day the entire game is "attempt to cleanse ruin." Gens are literally an afterthought when everyone's already dead on hook.

    No perk should up to quadruple the value of an already meta perk. And it's not like you can ignore it and run the risk of Devour Hope. And it's a massive buff to noed, an already daily complained about perk, because now it's basically impossible to cleanse the dulls without having the killer on you all match.

    If you think that's the "appropriate value of a hex" then I'm very glad you have no say in balancing the game.

  • @Azgard12 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550659#Comment_1550659

    Do we know what happens with Haunted Grounds + Undying yet?

    Otz tested it. It respawns

  • I'm disappointed in this perk because it is a buff to noed. How many times have we cleansed noed at the last second because we happened to find it after it had triggered? With this new perk, that won't happen if any bones are left.

    Yes, I know, we can all do bones, but in solo without a totem counter, that is a big ask. There have been so many complaints about noed (like daily new threads on here), that I'm surprised they would buff it without first adjusting noed itself.

    But I guess I really shouldn't be surprised at what BHVR does any more.

  • It is already 6 months ago, why are y still mad?

  • i don't think you know what inb4 means lol?

  • I see that side of the argument. I think that the aura reveal should be removed completely and it would be a fine perk.

    It's ok that they want a perk that makes hexes stay up a little longer if they get cleansed. But that made it so that it preserves the totem if it gets cleansed AND it makes it harder to cleanse because it gives away your position AND works on dulls as well AND detects you even if you're not doing totems.

    Like, wth were they thinking?

    Not to mention it makes thrill completely obsolete. Sure, you don't get the audio notification, but as long as you don't have tunnel vision then undying is several tiers above thrill for totem protection and general info.

    Imagine the potential for hostage builds with doc or high mobility killers. Solo q might as well go afk if they run into that.

  • @Zani22 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550677#Comment_1550677

    Noed requires a dull totem if you see one lit you could always just leave that

    Cleanse all other dull totems and then lit

    Noed can't spawn if no dull totems remain

    yea I know this to well survivor normally Cleanse the lit ones more then null tho

  • As I said in another post. I've been able to see people working on a gen near a totem. The 2m is bigger than you think.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1551154#Comment_1551154

    You lose all your tokens though.

    If the killer is capable to build up DH twice without the survivors doing practicly any totems at all then the survivors were probably going to lose no matter what perks the killer was running

    If all 4 survivors do 3 dull totems this perk becomes a mediocre aura reading perk ... on a hex

    And that's assuming the killer only uses 1 other hex perk

    I feel you are very much giving this the best case scenario treatment. This is still a perk that can be removed 15 seconds into the match

    In a swf it is not hard to imagine coordinating the dull totem destruction, but not so much in solo play. This hurts solo que more than anyone. Solo que is getting to the point it is not worth it. Cross play made it worse, opt out and you have horrible que times just to get crap teammates and deal with a hex build like this? Get ready for more SWF and gen rush.

  • Considering you lose all tokens on a totem when it gets cleansed, I dont really see this being OP on devour. You're still likely to have your devour cleansed before ever getting value from it...just now multiple times, lol.

  • Theres also the fact that you need dull totems for hexes to go to, and that if this one is cleansed it dosen't get shot off to another totem. So its ability might not even come up, and it limits the amount of totems you can have. So I think its fine.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550751#Comment_1550751

    That still remains in line with the devs philosophy with totems & Hexes.

    They cant be removed without survivors spending time finding and cleansing them. It’s one of the key fundamental ways the game can be stalled for killers. Something which they often overlook by getting too focused on the loss of a hex instead.

    Undying + any other Hex isn’t simply about keeping a hex in the game longer, it’s about creating further stall in the game.

    exactly this. its a semi elegant way to extend the game and kinda extends the reward vs risk of hex at the expense of 50% of your perks. I think they are strong but OP is just more hyperbole

  • @Superyoshiegg said:

    It's all well and dandy, but it requires the Killer to sacrifice two perk slots just to keep Ruin going a little longer, and you're not taking into account how the first Hex cleansed might be the Undying totem to begin with.

    If Undying is cleansed instead of Ruin then it's done its job and protected your Ruin.

  • On the one hand I like that killers have a real perk to defend totems. On the other hand, I can see this being an absolutely miserable experience for survivors. Just imagine the following situation: The Doctor on pretty much any indoor map running Undying, Ruin, and Thrill of the Hunt. The Doctor will know exactly where you are when you try and cleanse a totem, it will take a very long time to cleanse, and he can easily interrupt any cleanse attempt from long range after you've spent 20+ seconds trying to clear it. And, if you cleanse it there is a very good chance that it would just re-spawn in a more difficult spot to find. The Doctor is already miserable to play against. This scenario would make me want to uninstall.

  • @Zeidoktor said:

    And if Survivors do dull totems it maskes it increasingly unlikely you'll get the transfer effect.

    as in the first totem I find after tapping a gen is a hex totem? I'm supposed to leave the totem and run around for dull totems? Let's say I see a dull totem. I cleanse it. I run back to the hex. Lucky me, it finds one of the other totems on the map that I have no clue where they are, and it stays up the same amount of time if I'd cleansed the hex first.

    So, sure, I can prevent the transfer effect if I want to just leave the hex totem up.

    The design behind the perk is absolutely bonkers and assumes I'm meant to know where all the totems on the map are at all times. I'm not even a fan of totem RNG! I want place-able totems!

    @Kind_Lemon said:

    Totems

    Totem spawns have been for quite some time (this has died down somewhat recently) the subject of a heated playerbase's ire. The history of totems has been difficult, and some of the more memorable highlights were lighthouse totems on hills, totems spawning in the middle of open fields, and totems spawning in LOS of survivors. The developers, since the introduction of totems, have hand-chosen totem spawns, and this post aims to finally break that tradition. Coming from a comment from one of the developers about being unsure if cleansing totems he had placed himself was cheating (humorously stated), I realized that the next step for totem placement was to give the choice to the killer player in each match. Now, this does bring up a series of necessary, complimentary changes that would be needed to shift from developer-placed to player-placed totems, but this post is going to cover all potential issues and pose solutions to each one of them.

    The killer receives five dull totems at the start of every match. This is coded into every killer's power, so that just like how GhostFace's crouch is designed, totem placement requires an unused button and is completely optional. The killer may at any point in the trial place down a dull totem (Default E key) directly in front of the killer's own position (this fuctionality is similar to how The Trapper places traps, and this ability includes placing totems inside the basement). Pressing the (E) button again when within 24 meters of the totem will apply the first Hex perk positioned in the killer's loadout (as chosen before loading into the trial). Totems cannot be within 24 meters of one another (cylinder) and take a total of 2 seconds to place into the environment. Consider a summoning from the ground animation (like Freddy's snares).

    These changes prevent totems from being too close together, addresses how this ability might function through killer UI, and also (negligeably) provides a potential way for killers to lure survivors (through dull totems) away from objectives.

    What this means for NOED

    All Hex perks may need to be slightly modified to compensate for this new mechanic, but NOED (and Haunted Grounds) is going to receive special attention in this section. NOED will can no longer be prevented prior to the final gen's completion. Instead, if there is not already a dull totem within 24 meters of the killer, the killer will first have to go through a slowdown and a 2 second animation before lighting the totem, at which point nearby survivors will have a heads up on NOED. This does mean that a killer could hook down a survivor, hook the survivor, and then place the totem right in front of the hook, but scenarios like that already effectively exist currently and do not comprise the majority of experiences with NOED. In the case that this is an issue, the NOED hex might receive a timer and only be able to be applied to a totem for the first 30 seconds following the last gen's completion.

    For Haunted Grounds, the hex will not apply to a totem until there are at least two dull totems on the map with the killer within 24 meters of one of them.

    Design

    Having the playerbase choose their own totem spawns will always ensure that totem spawns are changing from trial to trial and prevents the developers from wasting time and resources on just moving around totem spawns to make finding totems a little harder for players. Additionally, where a killer places his/her totem now carries more meaning and requires more game knowledge and removes any frustration that may arise from particularly bad RNG.

    It's stupid to tell survivors to do dull totems when the survivors are already doing dull totems and are then still pointing out flaws in design.

  • @Maperson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550789#Comment_1550789

    Umm but you have perks for it? And I don't understand what facecamp has to do with these perks?

    I do. They mean facecamping with noed. You need to genrush to get out. But that almost never happens so...

  • @Splinterverse said:

    I'm disappointed in this perk because it is a buff to noed. How many times have we cleansed noed at the last second because we happened to find it after it had triggered? With this new perk, that won't happen if any bones are left.

    Yes, I know, we can all do bones, but in solo without a totem counter, that is a big ask. There have been so many complaints about noed (like daily new threads on here), that I'm surprised they would buff it without first adjusting noed itself.

    But I guess I really shouldn't be surprised at what BHVR does any more.

    It’s because the person who balances this stuff runs NOED, lol. So don’t hold your breath for any kind of change to NOED or a totem counter.

  • I personally love hunting for bones! It's like Easter every day.♡

  • I don’t know why people pretend this game exists in a vacuum. If you read comments and this forum, you’d believe every game is over in 3 minutes and killers are stuck crying in a corner.


    when people who play survivor point out concerns it’s always “survivor main!!! Got em! Just do bones! Just do gens! Quit complaining!” Same happens in reverse.


    Undying is basically a Ruin buff. If someone was just running undying for noed alone, that’s silly. Undying needs a trade off “totems are 50% faster to cleanse” or “undying’s flame burns brighter (blue hex)” or “when a hex is transferred, it loses X% of its effectiveness (Ruin becomes 150% instead of 200%”


    And yes, us solo queue players would really appreciate a totem counter. Or even a notification to other survivors when a totem in a certain area is cleansed

  • @Flawless_ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550660#Comment_1550660

    Yes, you're right it can be cleansed immediately, but they're supposed to be striving for "fun". So now games will go between trashing or getting trashed. How's that remotely enjoyable for either side when it all depends on luck instead of skill? I'd like to go into a game knowing that I have a fair chance of winning regardless of wether the rng lets me or not.

    "I'd like to go into a game knowing I have a fair chance of winning"

    Literally, have you ever played killer?

    Sided maps, broken SWF, 16 second chance perks...

    Also, totem spawns are awful, two totems usually spawn next to a gen anyways. It should be cleansed before the killer has time to defend.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550709#Comment_1550709

    Searching for totems, even dull ones, IS PART OF THE GAME.

    They’re MEANT to be process that occurs between repairs and saves that STALL the game, with the risk of IMMENSE punishment if they’re ignored.

    This.

    The devs have said in the past that they want totems to fill in that second objective shoes.

  • @Kind_Lemon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550675#Comment_1550675

    as in the first totem I find after tapping a gen is a hex totem? I'm supposed to leave the totem and run around for dull totems? Let's say I see a dull totem. I cleanse it. I run back to the hex. Lucky me, it finds one of the other totems on the map that I have no clue where they are, and it stays up the same amount of time if I'd cleansed the hex first.

    So, sure, I can prevent the transfer effect if I want to just leave the hex totem up.

    The design behind the perk is absolutely bonkers and assumes I'm meant to know where all the totems on the map are at all times. I'm not even a fan of totem RNG! I want place-able totems!

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/182997/place-able-totems-player-specific-totem-spawns

    It's stupid to tell survivors to do dull totems when the survivors are already doing dull totems and are then still pointing out flaws in design.

    On the flip side, if the first totem you come across is a dull totem there's even less reason not to cleanse it, besides easy bloodpoints and NOED prevention.

    I feel your reply misses my point though. I'm not saying ignore Hex totems in favor of dull, just that Undying's transfer effect can be negated/limited by doing dull totems as well as Hex. If the Killer's using Undying and Haunted Grounds, two dull totems is all is takes to prevent a respawn since if/when HG is cleansed it won't have enough dull totems to move to. Alternatively, if you can identify the non-Undying Hex, then you can decide if leaving it up actually is a good idea.

    Also, question I haven't seen come up, do Survivors get a notification if Undying is in effect? Survivors are usually notified which Hex is in play when its effects come up, but I haven't seen enough PTB games to tell if it comes up with this one after a non-Undying Hex is cleansed.

  • @Sylorknag said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550682#Comment_1550682

    "I'd like to go into a game knowing I have a fair chance of winning"

    Literally, have you ever played killer?

    Sided maps, broken SWF, 16 second chance perks...

    Also, totem spawns are awful, two totems usually spawn next to a gen anyways. It should be cleansed before the killer has time to defend.

    this is so true I hate totems that spawn in the middle of the map nothing covering it.

  • @Flawless_ said:

    inb4 I'm all in for strong killer perks but I, for one, feel like certain combos are straight OP at the moment.

    also inb4 this is not against the Ruin change specifically, but rather how Undying combos will negatively affect the amount of fun in the game. As a survivor because it has the potential to be extremely oppressive. AS a killer, because it is completely rng based so essentially if they find Undying first you lost your build and possibly the game.

    So basically the devs did a full 180 on the fun premise and made totems twice as hard to find. It's already a pain in the neck when these potato teammates can't find Ruin (or any other hex totem) once, and now you expect people to do it 2, maybe 3 times?? RIP solo queue, now on half of the games no gens will ever get done and when they do 3 people will be on death hook. Expect more DCs and people killing themselves once Devour Hope kicks in. More braindead NOED killers? Woohoo sounds like a blast. How is that fun in any way especially for solo players?

    I honestly don't understand Behaviour's logic with these new perks. Yeah they're really strong, great but at what cost? Hopefully they'll balance things out once the new chapter goes live unless they want their player numbers to keep nosediving like they did this month.

    You seem to be relying on these perks to win the game for you instead of using them to win. If they’re totem hunting and find undying it means that person wasn’t doing a gen. It also means you have a chance for HG to pop later while someone else is on the hook.


    Theres too many people who don’t understand how this game works and expect their perk picks to just do all the work.

    Losing undying doesn’t mean you lose the game. And if it does for you then i suggest you watch some better players and learn from them so you can get better.

1 2 3