We need more black and POC survivors

So we have a ton of white characters because, obviously. But for POC characters we have Jane, Zarina, and Ace maybe. Three... we only have three POC characters. The same is with black characters... the three black characters are, claud, Tapp and Adam. Which is even worse because we only have ONE black woman which is the most hated group of people for some reason even though they’re the prettiest on the planet. And the Tapp is a licensed character so they didn’t even take the time to design the character and choose the race so practically there’s only two. And then theirs two Asians. Come on bhvr gives us more POC! And if you have a new chapter idea and survivor who is white just change them to black. It costs no effort whatsoever

Tagged: ModTrusted

Comments

  • @Talmeer said:

    Should bhvr not bugfix the tons of bugs that plague dbd, before they looking at those "minor" things?

    Maybe it is because I am a killer main, but I consider a bugfree gameplay, buffing certain killers and certain survivor perks as more important as that.

    At the end, every survivor ends anyways on a hook and turns grey if he hangs there too long :P.

    BHVR updates the game every 3 months with a new chapter regardless of the bugs in the game. Creating a chapter introducing a character of color takes as much time as any other chapter.

  • @Nameless said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533321#Comment_1533321

    BHVR updates the game every 3 months with a new chapter regardless of the bugs in the game. Creating a chapter introducing a character of color takes as much time as any other chapter.

    Yeah and I know they need to do it, to keep the game alive. Imo, without new content this game would die in less as a half year.

    Still, I have my wishes :).

  • @Nameless said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533321#Comment_1533321

    BHVR updates the game every 3 months with a new chapter regardless of the bugs in the game. Creating a chapter introducing a character of color takes as much time as any other chapter.

    What people are saying is don't introduce a character in 3 months, fix the game first.

    And you say trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong, but I'm assuming you also think stereotypes themselves are wrong. So there is no winning then?

    Read what people said here already. The game is plenty diverse. Also, no one here is against more characters from different backgrounds, they are against quotas

  • @Nameless said:

    I don't quite understand what's wrong with asking for more representation? Hell, even the fear that they'll create stereotypes is just... Wrong? They succesfully created the 40 already existing characters in the game without any stereotypes, neither did I see any posts before saying they were scared that BHVR was running out of ideas and would start using stereotypes more often?

    Even lore-wise it doesn't make sense either. Like, does the entity just not want to see POC suffer as much as white people?

    Half original survivors aren't white. Claudette is Black and Jake is Asian. The last "white" non licensed survivor came out in December 2018. 4 out of 5 of the last NON licensed survivors aren't white.

    When you look at the nationality of the survivors BHVR is literally going out of their way to be as diverse as they can already.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/181739/we-need-more-black-and-poc-survivors

    Here is the breakdown:

    There are 22 survivors:

    Dwight - white guy

    Meg - white girl

    Claudette - black girl

    Jake - asian guy

    Nea - white girl (Swedish)

    Laurie - white girl

    Ace - latino guy (Argentinian/Italian)

    Bill - white guy

    Feng - asian girl (Chinese)

    David - white guy

    Qeuntin - white guy

    Tap - black guy

    Kate - white girl

    Adam - black guy (Jamaican)

    Jeff - white guy (Norwegian)

    Jane - latina girl

    Ash - white guy

    Nancy - white girl

    Steve - white girl

    Yui - asian girl (Japanese)

    Zarina - middle easern girl (Lebanese)

    Cheryl - white girl

    That makes

    13 white survivors

    3 black survivors

    3 asian survivors

    2 latino survivors

    1 middle eastern survivor

    That means

    ~59% white

    ~14% black

    ~14% asian

    ~9% latino

    ~5% middle eastern

    In terms of gender, you have

    10 men

    12 women

    That means:

    ~45% men

    ~55% women

    Seems pretty representative of the population of the United States. I know BHVR is based in Canada though, so maybe these better match Canada's demographics? I'm not Canadian so i won't comment on that, but looking at the U.S I'd argue maybe asians are a little more over-represented and latinos are under-represented. But given that each asian is also of a different nationality/country of origin, it seems pretty good.

    In terms of other breakdowns we don't know sexual orientation of most (any?) of the survivors so it is hard to say there. We also don't know whether any are transgender.

    But i'll agree, we need another latino soon, also probably a native american. But this isn't some serious problem where it's all just white guys like you are making it out to be i think.

    steve-white girl

    i mean, we know his voice still sounds like a woman, but i'm pretty sure he's a boy.😆

  • @Alec1055 said:

    So we have a ton of white characters because, obviously. But for POC characters we have Jane, Zarina, and Ace maybe. Three... we only have three POC characters. The same is with black characters... the three black characters are, claud, Tapp and Adam. Which is even worse because we only have ONE black woman which is the most hated group of people for some reason even though they’re the prettiest on the planet. And the Tapp is a licensed character so they didn’t even take the time to design the character and choose the race so practically there’s only two. And then theirs two Asians. Come on bhvr gives us more POC! And if you have a new chapter idea and survivor who is white just change them to black. It costs no effort whatsoever

    They've already made a diverse cast of characters. We don't have to slap a "need" list of the appropriate amount of any given people. BHVR hasn't excluded POC. It sounds like you're making accusations at them. Let them make the characters organically and not have to be pre-approved by some checklist of yours.

  • @Walker_of_the_fog_96 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533138#Comment_1533138

    steve-white girl

    i mean, we know his voice still sounds like a woman, but i'm pretty sure he's a boy.😆

    Yeah i know, i was copy pasting and missed this one. But i do find it amusing which one i messed up on.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533351#Comment_1533351

    Yeah i know, i was copy pasting and missed this one. But i do find it amusing which one i messed up on.

    There are no mistakes, just happy little accidents.

  • Here's the thing, we already have an excellent variety of POC characters. Keep in mind that you have to ignore the licensed characters when factoring out these ratios, as their appearances are pre-ordained by license and not something that BHVR really has control over.

    Out of the 22 current survivors, 8 are licensed. 6 out of the remaining 14 original characters are POC (Claudette, Jake, Feng, Adam, Yui, and Zarina). That's 43% of in-house survivors.

    The ratio is even better for killers. Out of the 13 current ORIGINAL (non-licensed) killers, 7 are colored (Wraith, Hag, Doctor, Spirit, Legion's Joey, Plague, and Oni). That's 54%. Even if you did include the licensed killers, the ratio would still be 50% (as Ghost Face is of indeterminate ethnicity, while Demogorgon and Pyramid Head aren't even human).

    While I'll always be fine with BHVR choosing to introduce more characters from unique backgrounds to the Fog, claiming that we don't already have a very diverse cast for both roles is false information.

  • OR, and stick with me here, the devs can make whatever they want, and write their own lore without worrying about people saying "oh my god this doesn't fit my political views". It's called artistic and creative freedom. If they want to make a black, brown, asian or white etc character, who cares. Let them do what they want creatively.

    Besides - if you really want to play the "representation" card, there's literally one hispanic survivor, and one "brown" survivor. I wouldn't mind some representation for my identity, being hispanic myself. But at the same time, I really don't care. I'd just assume keep maining Bill because it's a video game. A creative work.

    Stop telling artists what they should and should not create.

  • As a PoC I'm much more interested in the balance of the game, the quality of perks, and killer powers rather than the color of any of the character's skin or imaginary background.

    There are much more important things to worry about in a video game than politics and PC culture.

    Although I'm still waiting on my Aztec Warrior Killer.

  • The cast is much more diverse than in other games or movies. In this regard, they made a good job so far. Not that i'm against more, but it's not the biggest problem right now.

    btw, POC means everyone who is not white, so saying "POC and black and asian" is basically wrong, because POC is the collective term. (Some blacks don't like this term because it overlooks their specific, historic experience with racism). But asians are POC and not an extra group.

  • Idk why people are so angry about this post, I'm all in for diversity, I won't throw a tantrum if we don't get it though. Some people here seem to be throwing a tantrum at the mere idea of more diverse characters??? I feel the game is pretty good in that sense already, but asking for more (key word: asking) is a harmless thing to do.

    The thing that I actually want to point out is the following: the balance team & the people who fix bugs in the game ARE NOT THE SAME as the people who design characters and their lore. Stop asking that you'd rather BHVR focused on bugs/balance/etc because both things are done by entirely different people in BHVR.

  • @Pryzm said:

    Wait, has anyone even looked up population ratios? This game is pretty on par here.

    18 characters with 8 people of color. Considering whites make up around 70%.

    I'm honestly not concerned with the race of the character, just want goo lore and perks.

    Asian

    Jake, Yui, Feng

    Black

    Tapp, Claudette, Adam

    Hispanic

    Jane

    Arabic

    Zarin

    White

    Dwight, Meg, Nea, Bill, Quentin, David, Jeff, Nancy, Ash, Ace, Lori

    Killers may be less diverse. Off the top of my head, there are only the following: Doc, Wraith, Spirit, Oni, one of Legion, Plague....perhaps, she could be anything. Oh, and demogorgan......he's one of a kind.

    The Plague is Babylonian.

  • @Booper_Of_Snoot said:

    Nea is swedish. Jake is, from what I can tell, some sort of asian-american. Zarina is Latin American. The hag is a African American. Jane is Hispanic, Plague is Middle-Eastern. Philip Ojomo is African. Caleb Quinn is Irish-American. Rin is Japanese, as with Kazan. Herman is a African American. Anna is a Russian female. David is British. Jeff is overweight, undesirable. Kate is a southern songbird. Yui is the opposite of typical Japanese woman.

    There is a lot of diversity in this game. It isn't something that needs to be more focused on, diversity comes naturally. The game, well, is nothing more than a game. It has bigger more important problems than diversity currently. POC and recognition is always nice, but forcing it or pushing it makes it not so genuine.

    Jake is supposed to be korean. Hence his last name Park, but a lot of people were asking for a graphical touch up since people mistake him for native american.


    Also, good point.

  • Well I have already been outspoken with the issue of representation and have also proposed a POC survivor. Check my posts under my profile. :)

  • @EverflowingRiver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533326#Comment_1533326

    What people are saying is don't introduce a character in 3 months, fix the game first.

    And you say trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong, but I'm assuming you also think stereotypes themselves are wrong. So there is no winning then?

    Read what people said here already. The game is plenty diverse. Also, no one here is against more characters from different backgrounds, they are against quotas

    I'm not saying that trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong. I'm saying that it makes no sense to believe they're going to resort to stereotypes when every single chapter before disproves this claim. I'm pointing out that the argument "creating more diversity just for the sake of diversity leads to stereotypes" is severely flawed

    And well OP didn't mention quotas so bringing those up in the discussion doesn't make sense either. Besides, I can understand if you're against the idea of a quota when applying for jobs for example as it could lead to discrimination the other way around, but being against a quota for the representation of video game characters again makes no sense at all. Representation doesn't mean they're never going to make caucasian characters, it doesn't mean they won't make anymore characters you like and can relate to. It means they will make more characters POC can relate to as well and I don't see why the hell that is a problem.

  • @Pryzm said:

    Wait, has anyone even looked up population ratios? This game is pretty on par here.

    18 characters with 8 people of color. Considering whites make up around 70%.

    I'm honestly not concerned with the race of the character, just want goo lore and perks.

    Asian

    Jake, Yui, Feng

    Black

    Tapp, Claudette, Adam

    Hispanic

    Jane

    Arabic

    Zarin

    White

    Dwight, Meg, Nea, Bill, Quentin, David, Jeff, Nancy, Ash, Ace, Lori

    Killers may be less diverse. Off the top of my head, there are only the following: Doc, Wraith, Spirit, Oni, one of Legion, Plague....perhaps, she could be anything. Oh, and demogorgan......he's one of a kind.

    Nea is swedish, David is english, Jeff is canadian, Ace is Argentinian.

    The color of the skin doesn't matter, the country their are from is. I'm glad devs created survivors that aren't all americans like it was at the beginning ( the four original are americans )

    As for killer you forgot Hag and Trapper who are both people of color.

  • To go into even more detail..

    There are 20 killers in the game. 2 of them aren't even human so they *do not* count (DemoPls and Pyramidhead), 1 of them we don't even know their race (Ghostface).

    The rest:

    Trapper, Wraith, Hillbilly, Nurse, Myers, Hag, Doctor, Huntress, Bubba, Freddy, Pig, Clown, Spirit, Legion, Plague, Oni, Deathslinger.

    Out of those 17 killers, Wraith (Black), Hag (Black), Doctor (Black), Spirit (Asian), Legion (I believe Joe is black, and Susie is Asian..?), Plague (Egyptian) and Oni (Asian) are of color.

    Again, basically half the cast of killers. Of course I'd welcome more, but knock that "this game isn't diverse" crap off. Actual virtue signalling. Literally half the entire cast, killer or survivor, is of another ethnicity.

    This is a game developed by a diverse crew in one of the most diverse cities you'll ever visit. DBD has a LOT of issues. DIVERSITY IS CLEARLY NOT ONE OF THEM.

  • @SloppyKnockout said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533475#Comment_1533475

    To go into even more detail..

    There are 20 killers in the game. 2 of them aren't even human so they *do not* count (DemoPls and Pyramidhead), 1 of them we don't even know their race (Ghostface).

    The rest:

    Trapper, Wraith, Hillbilly, Nurse, Myers, Hag, Doctor, Huntress, Bubba, Freddy, Pig, Clown, Spirit, Legion, Plague, Oni, Deathslinger.

    Out of those 17 killers, Wraith (Black), Hag (Black), Doctor (Black), Spirit (Asian), Legion (I believe Joe is black, and Susie is Asian..?), Plague (Egyptian) and Oni (Asian) are of color.

    Again, basically half the cast of killers. Of course I'd welcome more, but knock that "this game isn't diverse" crap off. Actual virtue signalling. Literally half the entire cast, killer or survivor, is of another ethnicity.

    This is a game developed by a diverse crew in one of the most diverse cities you'll ever visit. DBD has a LOT of issues. DIVERSITY IS CLEARLY NOT ONE OF THEM.

    100% agree with you on this one.

  • @Hoodied said:

    POC....what is POC and why do i feel like this is something I should know?

    People of colour

  • @Alec1055 said:

    So we have a ton of white characters because, obviously. But for POC characters we have Jane, Zarina, and Ace maybe. Three... we only have three POC characters. The same is with black characters... the three black characters are, claud, Tapp and Adam. Which is even worse because we only have ONE black woman which is the most hated group of people for some reason even though they’re the prettiest on the planet. And the Tapp is a licensed character so they didn’t even take the time to design the character and choose the race so practically there’s only two. And then theirs two Asians. Come on bhvr gives us more POC! And if you have a new chapter idea and survivor who is white just change them to black. It costs no effort whatsoever

    This is why I main Claudette !<3

  • @KillScreen said:

    You complaining? How about transsexual survivors? Transvestite survivors? No gender identity survivors? Vegan, gluten intolerant and no extra sugar added survivors? Jew survivor? Or a fat survivor (clown its the only fat dude here). Or an old lady survivor (bill needs a wife)? Or a survivor with special needs sprint bursting in a wheelchair?

    Be thankful that you have choices. Others have no such luck.

    Or a fat survivor (clown its the only fat dude here).

    Jeff wants to know your location.

  • @Booper_Of_Snoot said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533454#Comment_1533454

    As a Jake main since I picked up the game 3, 3½ years ago, I never knew he was Korean. His cosmetics certainly don't do him any justice either

    Yeah, someone once compared one of his cosmetics to will turner from POTC.

    i dont know if its like this on pc/console but I notice when I swipe to the Character Xp gain screen at the end of a match, that the drawing underlay of him looks good, and does him a great deal of justice. And then i get back to my main screen and he kinda looks like a potato.

  • Tome archives revealed Hag as a black woman too, which has been foreseen by many comments,

    The amount of "white" people mostly come to the fact that most licenced characters chosed as a survivors are white people, David Tapp is the only exception.

    And not many old slasher movies POC actors came across the top without being total you can call "racist" clichés. And I don't remember ever seen one in the whole Halloween franchise, there some in Nightmare on elm street but clichés, Any comes in mind for Strangers Things but underaged characters, and it would have been weird to pick any characters over Ash and Cheryl (Laurie too btw). so 5 of the 19 survivors has been picked because they had any better option.

    Tbh I waited a hell of long time to have a character who looskslike Jeff, and another black woman seems tidious to me due to the recent events when it comes to character design for the art team, it's like stepping on eggs.

  • @nursewannabe said:

    Are you people actually serious when calling Ace a person of color

    Ace is Argentinian of Italian decent. Not saying either way as he's more complicated.

  • @Adeloo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533121#Comment_1533121

    Nea is swedish, David is english, Jeff is canadian, Ace is Argentinian.

    The color of the skin doesn't matter, the country their are from is. I'm glad devs created survivors that aren't all americans like it was at the beginning ( the four original are americans )

    As for killer you forgot Hag and Trapper who are both people of color.

    I think Trapper is white but his flesh is scorched by The Entity torture.

  • @Alec1055 said:

    So we have a ton of white characters because, obviously. But for POC characters we have Jane, Zarina, and Ace maybe. Three... we only have three POC characters. The same is with black characters... the three black characters are, claud, Tapp and Adam. Which is even worse because we only have ONE black woman which is the most hated group of people for some reason even though they’re the prettiest on the planet. And the Tapp is a licensed character so they didn’t even take the time to design the character and choose the race so practically there’s only two. And then theirs two Asians. Come on bhvr gives us more POC! And if you have a new chapter idea and survivor who is white just change them to black. It costs no effort whatsoever

    Why?

    @Flawless_ said:

    Ahhh yes, we need this, definitely more than bug fixing and balancing. I don’t care if I take a hit from 10m away as long as there’s more POC in the game.

    As a “person of color” myself I’m asking you please not to go there and let the devs focus on the issues that are more pressing, like game health...maybe? I don’t want the game I love to get cancelled :’(

    Well said.

  • @Pryzm said:

    Wait, has anyone even looked up population ratios? This game is pretty on par here.

    18 characters with 8 people of color. Considering whites make up around 70%.

    I'm honestly not concerned with the race of the character, just want goo lore and perks.

    Asian

    Jake, Yui, Feng

    Black

    Tapp, Claudette, Adam

    Hispanic

    Jane

    Arabic

    Zarin

    White

    Dwight, Meg, Nea, Bill, Quentin, David, Jeff, Nancy, Ash, Ace, Lori

    Killers may be less diverse. Off the top of my head, there are only the following: Doc, Wraith, Spirit, Oni, one of Legion, Plague....perhaps, she could be anything. Oh, and demogorgan......he's one of a kind.

    Forgot Hag

  • I reckon now, more than ever, we need to discuss bringing Tony the Pimp from Demons into the game. Heroic monster killing badass if ever there was one.

  • @Pryzm said:

    Wait, has anyone even looked up population ratios? This game is pretty on par here.

    18 characters with 8 people of color. Considering whites make up around 70%.

    I'm honestly not concerned with the race of the character, just want goo lore and perks.

    Asian

    Jake, Yui, Feng

    Black

    Tapp, Claudette, Adam

    Hispanic

    Jane

    Arabic

    Zarin

    White

    Dwight, Meg, Nea, Bill, Quentin, David, Jeff, Nancy, Ash, Ace, Lori

    Killers may be less diverse. Off the top of my head, there are only the following: Doc, Wraith, Spirit, Oni, one of Legion, Plague....perhaps, she could be anything. Oh, and demogorgan......he's one of a kind.

    Hag is black

  • I think it's fine how it is.

  • @Alec1055 said:

    So we have a ton of white characters because, obviously. But for POC characters we have Jane, Zarina, and Ace maybe. Three... we only have three POC characters. The same is with black characters... the three black characters are, claud, Tapp and Adam. Which is even worse because we only have ONE black woman which is the most hated group of people for some reason even though they’re the prettiest on the planet. And the Tapp is a licensed character so they didn’t even take the time to design the character and choose the race so practically there’s only two. And then theirs two Asians. Come on bhvr gives us more POC! And if you have a new chapter idea and survivor who is white just change them to black. It costs no effort whatsoever

    There are 3 Asians survivors the game

    Jake - Asian-American (Korean if you want to be exact)

    Min- Chinese

    Yui- Japanese

  • The variety of the characters is fine.

  • @Veen said:

    Tome archives revealed Hag as a black woman too, which has been foreseen by many comments,

    The amount of "white" people mostly come to the fact that most licenced characters chosed as a survivors are white people, David Tapp is the only exception.

    And not many old slasher movies POC actors came across the top without being total you can call "racist" clichés. And I don't remember ever seen one in the whole Halloween franchise, there some in Nightmare on elm street but clichés, Any comes in mind for Strangers Things but underaged characters, and it would have been weird to pick any characters over Ash and Cheryl (Laurie too btw). so 5 of the 19 survivors has been picked because they had any better option.

    Tbh I waited a hell of long time to have a character who looskslike Jeff, and another black woman seems tidious to me due to the recent events when it comes to character design for the art team, it's like stepping on eggs.

    Halloween Resurrection had Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks in it but you wouldn't choose them over Laurie for a license character, you wouldn't choose that Halloween at all for a license. 😂

  • Oh boy, cant wait to see this comment section.

    87d.jpg


  • No Bengali survivor yet.

  • Being a 'POC' - I rather have some shorter male/taller female survivors in the game.

  • We have a pretty wide arrangement of diverse survivors.

    Going with your post, I might think you either want more stereotypical POC (like a darker-skinned Indian walking in a Sari or something like that).

    Actually we have quite a realistic distribution. And with the time there will be more representation.

    Like Sinister said, what we really need is more representation in other fields.

    We need more "fuller" survivors, shorter Males/taller Females, Buff Female Characters, Characters with Scars, Vitiligo etc.

  • Idk what OP's intentions are but my take...


    I think we've got decent diversity in the game. Bhvr recently said that they will do their best to diversify the cast, with different people of skin colors, height, body types and sounds for their characters. And in June they said since the game started doing lore and background on characters that they would be able to explore some none hetero/cis gendered character's sexuality or gender expression in the past, something that before there they didn't want to do before. But since we're learning more and more about the characters lives before their time in the realm it's something that might come up in the future.

    The community is also pretty diverse and they want to add as many characters as they can so that their players will have representation. You can see this in content people make and when you see people get together for like conventions and stuff. The game also has a sizable gay following because gays love them some horror content. Out of all the mp games I've every played I can say without a doubt that this is one of the most diverse player community I've been apart of.


    I mean $$$ also is probably a motivation for all those different characters lol.

    It'd be nice if we could get some South Asian or Southeast Asian characters in the future there's more than the fairskinned slanted eye and dark haired Asian, Asia is so diverse. But generally I think the survivor roster is looking too fair skinned. I mean that could've been a business decision but I don't wanna get into that mind set.

    Ultimately, I think for me. I would love to see more diversity in the way of character ages. We have farrrrr too many teens (we can't do that) 21-30 something characters. I would just tell them to chill the ######### off with all the licence chapters they've been doing and start adding older characters. Like I'm still waiting for my old lady survivor and killer bhvr. More body types will always be welcomed.

  • a Kurdish or Turkish, was noice with a beautiful beard :D

  • It really does not matter what race a character is just as long as its a good character.

  • @Adeloo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533121#Comment_1533121

    Nea is swedish, David is english, Jeff is canadian, Ace is Argentinian.

    The color of the skin doesn't matter, the country their are from is. I'm glad devs created survivors that aren't all americans like it was at the beginning ( the four original are americans )

    As for killer you forgot Hag and Trapper who are both people of color.

    You are right on Hag. I did forget her. Trapper, on the other hand, is not a person of color. MacMillan is Scottish though he is from US.

  • @Zaitsev said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/181739/we-need-more-black-and-poc-survivors

    The current cast is already very diverse. Adding diversity for the sake of diversity is just god awful.

    Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the last few survivors have been specifically more diverse. Yui, Zarina, etc. Of course steve nancy and cheryl are white, their source material is what they're based on. Just like Laurie, Quentin, and Ash. Licensed survivors that you cant change. Their originals are pretty diverse.

    Jake, one of the original four is asian. The game started diverse. People just want something to feel like they made a difference. But going overly diverse JUST for the sake of it is less genuine that what we currently have.

    Which is a broad range of colors and nationalities.

  • @HectorBrando said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533555#Comment_1533555

    I think Trapper is white but his flesh is scorched by The Entity torture.

    oh i just checked the archives and you are right ! weird i must have been thinking about doc^^

  • Out of 22 survivors there are 8 survivors that are not Caucasian. While I don't oppose having more by any means. Personally I give the race or gender of a particular survivor very little thought. Why do we need more? And when I say need, I mean why is this a pressing issue?

  • @Nameless said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1533340#Comment_1533340

    I'm not saying that trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong. I'm saying that it makes no sense to believe they're going to resort to stereotypes when every single chapter before disproves this claim. I'm pointing out that the argument "creating more diversity just for the sake of diversity leads to stereotypes" is severely flawed

    And well OP didn't mention quotas so bringing those up in the discussion doesn't make sense either. Besides, I can understand if you're against the idea of a quota when applying for jobs for example as it could lead to discrimination the other way around, but being against a quota for the representation of video game characters again makes no sense at all. Representation doesn't mean they're never going to make caucasian characters, it doesn't mean they won't make anymore characters you like and can relate to. It means they will make more characters POC can relate to as well and I don't see why the hell that is a problem.

    By saying they need more diversity, they are saying the numbers are not up to some imaginary minimum they have made up in their mind. If you don't see the problem with that, that's on you. It makes perfect sense for me to want the creative team to let their ideas flow instead of them looking at some chart on the wall and saying "well now it's time to add a left handed, one legged, bald Vietnamese survivor cause we need more diversity."

    I will say, this troll thread received way more attention then it should have but I'm just as guilty as everyone in that regard.

  • Yikes some of the comments here are ignorant and disgusting.

    Diversity is a great thing, I'm all for more POC in the game.

  • I'm actively triggered that so many people in this thread are getting Ace's nationality wrong.

    Ace is Argentinian of Italian descent. Argentinian-Italian.

    To be technical, Ace isn't "white". He actually has an olive complexion.

    You don't need dark skin for diversity, but I believe OP just wants black characters.

  • @neocore said:

    so many ppl with brianworms on this thread

    anyways more characters would be v cool esp since varying cultures allow for varying lore to draw on for killers too, bhvr is great on the front of diversity but it never hurts to have more! personally id like to see a rroma character

    I'd love to see something australian aboriginal or pacific islander. There is a lot to draw from there I feel.

1 2 3