Server Hit Validation Is Going To Push A Lot of Killers Away

I'm gonna make this short by simply saying that many of the hits that should hit when playing killer will not hit. This already happens when I swing at windows, but now I'll most likely swing right through a survivor because of their rat ######### internet.

Let's not leave out how this is gonna slaughter Huntress. Since this system will effect the servers, her hits will be more fair for survivors and less fair for her. How? Well, half of her hatchets have no collision. For those that don't know, dead-ass, half of her hatchets will just phase directly through survivors. This makes me laugh when people complain about "hatchet hitboxes" (when it's actually dedicated servers) because more often that not, her hatchets have no hitbox. Soon it'll be 50/50 between a needle hitbox and no hitbox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems as though I'm not very good at explaining this as many people are misunderstanding the point of the post. @TheRockstarKnight on page 2 did a better job of explaining it. Check there.

Comments

  • people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

  • I think it will not affect normal gameplay that much, but will get rid of VPNing. There will most likely still be Hits which look odd, but it is what it is.

  • @YaiPa said:

    people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

    Dedicated servers made the game worse, not better. No lagswitching is all that really came out of it.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    I think it will not affect normal gameplay that much, but will get rid of VPNing. There will most likely still be Hits which look odd, but it is what it is.

    Normal ping will look fine, but bad ping is going to be a pain. There needs to several servers for a single country. As an east coast player I shouldn't wait 1 minute to get into a match with a west coast killer.

  • @YaiPa said:

    people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

    And it has proven to come with a lot of issues.

    @OP hopefully they're right like they said in the dev notes and if you have a stable connection you should be fine. But we will see.

  • So a fair hit registration is bad? LOL If you will miss a hit it will be due to your own connection issue. Atm you just hit because the latency on your end is not registrated, which is utterly unfair.

  • Nurse is gonna be even more buggier than current state...

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    I'm gonna make this short by simply saying that many of the hits that should hit when playing killer will not hit. This already happens when I swing at windows, but now I'll most likely swing right through a survivor because of their rat ######### internet.

    Let's not leave out how this is gonna slaughter Huntress. Since this system will effect the servers, her hits will be more fair for survivors and less fair for her. How? Well, half of her hatchets have no collision. For those that don't know, dead-ass, half of her hatchets will just phase directly through survivors. This makes me laugh when people complain about "hatchet hitboxes" (when it's actually dedicated servers) because more often that not, her hatchets have no hitbox. Soon it'll be 50/50 between a needle hitbox and no hitbox.

    Yeah but they're upping the server tick rate to refresh twice as fast so you'll see stuff making a lot more sense it's rarely going to be a case of "hitting through a survivor"

  • I'll wait and see how it is. But as much as I despise getting dedicated hits as survivor I think if I ever have my weapon go through a survivor and do nothing I'm done.

  • To be honest, it'll make me want to play killer and the game in general more. Nothing angers me more than getting bs hits or getting hit by bs hits.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    I'll wait and see how it is. But as much as I despise getting dedicated hits as survivor I think if I ever have my weapon go through a survivor and do nothing I'm done.

    It can already happen. A survivor will be medium or slow vaulting a window and I'll swing and miss.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1409838#Comment_1409838

    It can already happen. A survivor will be medium or slow vaulting a window and I'll swing and miss.

    I guess I've been lucky, have had a lot of BS with grabs though.

  • Hatchet hitbox is a beach ball in shape not a needle. They changed it to needle but then no Huntress player could hit anything so it was reverted.

    As for the purpose of this post, I dunno. I've kinda had the inverse of the issue where my melee attacks pass through Survivors that aren't cheating but they don't get injured. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing if this fixes that.

  • So... you only care about how broken hitboxes when they effect you? Survivors have been dealing with horrible hitboxes for years and you had nothing to say, but the second that they try to balance them you complain that "it's gonna be bad for killers". What you're saying that you want hitboxes to be awful for survivors because you want easier matches.

  • Depends on how well the servers get improved (especially how much more severs they add) and how harsh the system will be. It can be done well. But we all know that "pretty good job" meme so it's most likely going to end up terrible for at least 1 year.

  • I don't think this will change much when it comes to window or pallet hits if you have a decent connection. But what i'm really worried about is "juking" becoming a lot more effective than it ever should. The floaty, weightless and instantaneous motions of survivors can allready cause some attacks to miss, especially combined with the so called "aim dressing". I'm afraid the server hit validation will only make it worse.

  • Does anyone remember the first PTB version of dedicated servers? Those had server side hits and they was HORRIBLE. Attacks as Killer would be extremely inconsistent. Id land attacks I had NO right to land (swinging late and hitting the air behind them) and miss attacks that should have been certain. Attacks would also land upwards of half a second AFTER the fact. When the Killer is saying he landed bad hits, something ######### up.

    That was a 160 ping if I recall.


    DbD was not made with dedicated servers in mind. Forcing them in after the fact is only doing more harm than good. Just look at how many Killer powers flat out broke after servers was added. Look at how many things are STILL JANK today thanks to servers! If you think making damage server side is gonna do good, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

  • @Chewy102 said:

    Does anyone remember the first PTB version of dedicated servers? Those had server side hits and they was HORRIBLE. Attacks as Killer would be extremely inconsistent. Id land attacks I had NO right to land (swinging late and hitting the air behind them) and miss attacks that should have been certain. Attacks would also land upwards of half a second AFTER the fact. When the Killer is saying he landed bad hits, something ######### up.

    That was a 160 ping if I recall.

    DbD was not made with dedicated servers in mind. Forcing them in after the fact is only doing more harm than good. Just look at how many Killer powers flat out broke after servers was added. Look at how many things are STILL JANK today thanks to servers! If you think making damage server side is gonna do good, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

    160 ping is terrible tho, just saying.

  • It's only gonna slaughter Huntress for those crap connect killers that abuse the client side hit detection that allows them to hit survivors 5 seconds behind where they are in real time so that they can get hits when the survivor would definitely be behind cover without crap connection issues. Huntress is the one killer that absolutely should have never had her hatches be killer client side. It's freaking ridiculous how far away from where the survivor is that she can get hits.

    @YaiPa said:

    people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

    The reason they were saying that when dedicated servers were about to come out is because we naturally thought they would have added server side hit detection with the servers. The fact that they kept it client side upon server release is a choice that baffles me to this day.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    I'm gonna make this short by simply saying that many of the hits that should hit when playing killer will not hit. This already happens when I swing at windows, but now I'll most likely swing right through a survivor because of their rat ######### internet.

    Let's not leave out how this is gonna slaughter Huntress. Since this system will effect the servers, her hits will be more fair for survivors and less fair for her. How? Well, half of her hatchets have no collision. For those that don't know, dead-ass, half of her hatchets will just phase directly through survivors. This makes me laugh when people complain about "hatchet hitboxes" (when it's actually dedicated servers) because more often that not, her hatchets have no hitbox. Soon it'll be 50/50 between a needle hitbox and no hitbox.

    Lets not forget that pro surv strat, which is exploiting the lunge in order to make it miss.

  • I agree and these days I hover at 60 ping thanks to living near a server.

    But what about people who don't happen to live near a server? Pings of 100 is more common than you think. On top of that you have 2 sets of ping to deal with. The Killer's ping and Survivors ping. So the Killer needs to ask the server if he lands a hit based on his ping, then the server needs to confirm that hit based on the Survivors ping. Effectively combining them both.

    It can be functional. But this isn't gonna work.

  • Itโ€™ll be even worse on console. We already have poor optimization that makes lunges harder to hit on top of dedicated servers. This new hit validation is going to make things even worse. The worst part about it is that Survivors know about this and are going to abuse it as much as they can.

  • That's not how it works. Hits are validated killer-side now. If you're swinging through survivors, it's not because of their connection. It doesn't work that way. You simply missed, or you are exaggerating. And let's not pretend Huntress hits are fair right now.

    As for server validation, they have already stated there's a margin of tolerance. If that's true, then it won't affect killers with good ping.

  • It remains to be seen, but I swear to god, if I swing and "miss" despite hitting on my screen, and get stunned by the blade wipe animation while a survivor runs away uninjured, I'll be pissed.

  • @DetailedDetriment said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1409744#Comment_1409744

    Dedicated servers made the game worse, not better. No lagswitching is all that really came out of it.

    I mean, when you use cheap 30 tick servers, not surprised.

  • Huntress hatches are so cheese. This might be a good indirect nerf to her hatches.

  • @Kagrenac said:

    So it's now a bad change that a killer won't be able to hit me after getting stunned or miles over a pallet?

    ######### off lol

    It more than likely will take longer for the hit to register. As it is now. Killer says he got the hit, tells the server, server then tells Survivor.

    After this it will be. Killer attempts to land a hit, server confirms if hit is valid or not, then tells both Killer and Survivor.


    it is adding an extra step, adding more processing time, and adding to the overall lag. Killer will get the worst of it, but Survivors will suffer as well.

  • Lol, I like how a lot of people here are acting like killers are the only ones who can have potato internet. I've gone against quite a few survivors who are difficult to hit because they'll start teleporting all over the place during a chase. I already get robbed of hits because of the buggy auto aim, so I can only imagine how it's going to be after these changes.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1410012#Comment_1410012

    Dumb thing to say.

    Say you're playing a game like Siege. You get shot "around" a corner, fine, you chalk it up to latency and you learn to play around it. Not that big of a deal. Annoying, sure, but preventable with smart decision making.

    However, imagine if instead of getting shot "around" corners, you instead shoot at someone and the game says "nah" and you physically see your bullets pass through them. Now imagine this happening multiple times every match. Apply this to hit reg in DbD, replacing corners with sketchy vault hits and bullets passing through people with hits not registering (or being delayed, or both, like Bloodborne).

    That is what people fear, and that is a situation that is far worse than the alternative that we have now. We'll see though.

    They're trying to make it to where it looks at both the killer and survivor's pov. You're missing my point. I'm saying that survivors have been dealing with it for years and some killer mains will say "deal with it" but then complain when the dev's try to fix the game breaking issue that's been an issue for years. They never said that they're making it completley survivor sided, they're trying to BALANCE IT. Also... how are people supposed to "play around" something like that? They can't counter hitboxes.

  • so... it isnt fair that you wont get BS hits through pallets and windows when you have garbage connection?

    that doesnโ€™t make sense... at all

  • @Mew said:

    so... it isnt fair that you wont get BS hits through pallets and windows when you have garbage connection?

    that doesnโ€™t make sense... at all

    No, they're saying it won't be fair when a Survivor with bad internet is able to just phase through hits.

    Or register hits a few seconds after, like in other online PVP games (Dark Souls or Bloodborne come to mind) where you land a hit and they continue totally fine for a bit before suddenly taking damage.

    I don't think OP is trying to say the current system is perfect, because it's not and in fact it sucks, but they're saying this new system probably won't be any bettter since the server will have to check both sides to confirm a hit, not just one.

    Pretty sure their concern is that you'll be trading BS hits as Survivor for BS misses as Killer without even actually getting rid of BS hits as Survivor.

  • That would be true if your connection is bad. But if you think that hatchets should hit survivors even when the survivor dodged them (which happens a lot) there is something wrong with your expectations.

  • Good riddance to them then. I'm utterly bored of vsing a killer who swings five times in one loop because their latency to me is garbage. Hit through a pallet stun 2 seconds after the drop, hit though vaults 3 steps away from the window etc. This is a step towards removing the distant region pairings terrible killer sided bs. It's like 6/10 games as survivor I vs a killer from a far off region like America, Asia, Russia etc it is so unfun to go against. Rage inducing lol

  • Probably why they're also doubling the tickrate of the servers, which is fairly significant.

    Impossible to predict just how it will play out until we get to try it out anyway.

  • What I gathered is that it will do a validation check on the survivors side and if itโ€™s within a reasonable margin then itโ€™s a valid hit. I canโ€™t make assumptions until I feel how it plays on the ptb especially with the tick rate being upped

  • @Squirrel_Thicc said:

    So... you only care about how broken hitboxes when they effect you? Survivors have been dealing with horrible hitboxes for years and you had nothing to say, but the second that they try to balance them you complain that "it's gonna be bad for killers". What you're saying that you want hitboxes to be awful for survivors because you want easier matches.

    This is when I pull the survivor main card. I play killer when survivor gets boring, which is fast.

  • @Chewy102 said:

    Does anyone remember the first PTB version of dedicated servers? Those had server side hits and they was HORRIBLE. Attacks as Killer would be extremely inconsistent. Id land attacks I had NO right to land (swinging late and hitting the air behind them) and miss attacks that should have been certain. Attacks would also land upwards of half a second AFTER the fact. When the Killer is saying he landed bad hits, something ######### up.

    That was a 160 ping if I recall.

    DbD was not made with dedicated servers in mind. Forcing them in after the fact is only doing more harm than good. Just look at how many Killer powers flat out broke after servers was added. Look at how many things are STILL JANK today thanks to servers! If you think making damage server side is gonna do good, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

    The point of the post is to detail how it will fail. Anything doing with dedicated servers or altercations are terrible.

  • @Zaitsev said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/168369/server-hit-validation-is-going-to-push-a-lot-of-killers-away

    Lets not forget that pro surv strat, which is exploiting the lunge in order to make it miss.

    It's especially annoying as Legion because I'll hold for a lunge but only swipe, wasting 4 seconds of time. Legion's cooldown is practically the same as getting DSd.

  • "her hits will be more fair for survivors and less fair for her".

    If by "less fair for her" you mean less hatchets where it looks like she is tossing cabers instead of axes I very much welcome this change, Huntress is Russian not Scottish.

  • @PrettyFaceKate said:

    That's not how it works. Hits are validated killer-side now. If you're swinging through survivors, it's not because of their connection. It doesn't work that way. You simply missed, or you are exaggerating. And let's not pretend Huntress hits are fair right now.

    As for server validation, they have already stated there's a margin of tolerance. If that's true, then it won't affect killers with good ping.

    The hit problems I'm mentioning are going to become an issue with server validation because lagging survivors will no longer take damage. Grabs will be fixed, but hits will be made worse.

    For Huntress, it's not her hatchets, it's dedicated servers. I'm fine with the hitboxes being fixed, but most hatchets have no collision. Needle sized hatchets that are 50/50 on whether they have collision or not will make her a bad killer.

    I play Huntress on console, and this is going to make her near impossible.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1410779#Comment_1410779

    All you have to do is look at Bloodborne to see how bad a double hit confirmation system can look in a game. And you counter the current BS by being more careful with loops. Drop pallets earlier, take vaults earlier, stealth, and so on. It'd also really help if they made it so you can see the killer's connection to the server (so you can dodge if your ping is good but theirs is bad), but BHVR doesn't seem to like simple changes that make sense.

    I know it's really hard to think beyond "lol survivor vs killer go brrrrr" but do try to think of this from an overall game feel/health perspective yes? If no-regs become rampant even for streamers and people who have a stable internet connection, we're going to have a bigger problem.

    Can't confirm it, but Im rather certain that no Souls/borne game used dedicated servers for PvP. Matchmaking and the message system used servers yes, but player connections to each other used P2P with what player owned that world being host.

    Souls/borne games are closer to what DbD was back when it was still P2P. Using a server for matchmaking and shifting to P2P for gameplay. Why? It offered the best connections for melee based gameplay as P2P is a direct line between players. No added steps, no additional processing time, and no relays needed from talking through a server.


    Using a Souls/borne game is a bad example anyway. Those are 2+ people fighting each other head to head, not 1 aggressor and one runner. And when there was a runner. Good luck landing a hit on him anyway if you don't have something with a fast or long reach stab. And the lag in general in Souls/borne games can be simply unreal to boot.

  • @YaiPa said:

    people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

    And they were right. The game has gotten considerably worse, and lost a good number of killers.

  • OP no. This is a much needed change. The VPNing has to stop. Also you shouldn't be 10 feet from a killer and get hit by a melee M1.

  • I'm already 100% without doubt robbed of grabs and hits from these servers, so I don't imagine it will be that much worse if it also comes with the benefit of taking care of VPN users.

  • @YaiPa said:

    people said the same thing when dedicated servers were about to come out.

    Yeah well those same servers are the authority on killer grabs right now, tell me: how often do those work again? Just imagine now it is in charge of hits too.

  • @Aven_Fallen said:

    I think it will not affect normal gameplay that much, but will get rid of VPNing. There will most likely still be Hits which look odd, but it is what it is.

    but people from far away from servers wont be happy.I get minimum 70 ping becuz servers are on germany for sure.No spanish servers so crappy conection.

  • Hopefully its the killers abusing vpns

  • You have no idea how many times I've slugged someone with killer and thought to myself "how the f#&k did that hit?" ๐Ÿ˜‚ This is going to be a good thing. It'll hopefully make the game feel less buggy. I got downed by a Trapper, while playing survivor today, from (I kid you not, this is literal) 20+ feet away. He didn't teleport to me, I didn't teleport back to him, he swung, at a window, I went down near a hill across from it. Video to prove it.

  • @Splinterverse said:

    OP no. This is a much needed change. The VPNing has to stop. Also you shouldn't be 10 feet from a killer and get hit by a melee M1.

    Getting hit from far away is either your ping or the servers dying which can be seen when a killer swings where you stood several seconds ago.

  • Get a better connection ^^

โ€น 1 2