P3 Blendettes: Why is she still so popular? And why has it not been dealt with still?
Hey all,
So this bothers me as both a survivor and a killer, I don't get why blendette in her prestige skin is just so popular (I mean I do) it just sort of comes across as the people who play her are like racist (though don't likely intend it). I don't think people play her because they actually like her, more because she just hides more easily, it really makes me judge anyone who plays her in that skin, and usually they are really toxic too (Farm you while killer is right there, don't do any gens, just hide all game, don't do totems etc etc.)
The fact that it seems like the dev encourages this sort of play, with Claudette really bugs me, I don't think this is a great way to promote such a cool character they have, she isn't popular because of her story or how much people relate to her, it's because she is just a joke, I swear they just think they can put no shaders in her hair etc, as pretty much has the same value as any shadow in the game, light just doesn't interact with it, she is a person, not a ghost.
TL;DR: Claudette is a great character, but people don't play her because they like her I feel, they play her to mock her and something needs done about it.
Ofc I'm sorry if this comes off bad, but I just don't understand, maybe I'm not supposed to.
Comments
Lbh...she's black and dressed in brown...which is most of the color pallet in DbD...
There's nothing to do about it tho...you want to make her skin lighter ? Ppl Will scream White washing...
I have no complaints, 90% of Blendettes spend the game hiding and not contributing to the team. They are played by players who lack experience or skill in chases, so the try hiding to avoid it altogether.
A hiding survivor is the same as a flashlight blinking ‘distraction chase’...zero threat to the game’s progress. Think of them as being on your team lol
I agree with the first part but hidding do require skills. Which one ? Angle of views, map knowledge, line of sights, etc.
Imo hidding is a very nice tool for those that have difficulties to survive chases or don't have the perks to do so.
Some great jukers should train their stealth a bit from what I see. Looping is good and all until you revealed everyone to the killer running around not paying attention.
Personally speaking, I main Claudette because she's who I started with thanks to her good perks, and also because she's superior in the meta. That said, I'm also very fond of her science nerd lore.
Also, I'll never prestige her, because I think prestige is a stupid waste of time and BP, and I'd rather use the full range of available cosmetics.
Yep, but they’re not on a gen. I’ll take that anyway, so will any other semi-decent killer. 😀 Annoying yes, but ultimately inefficient.
So the game shouldnt have black girls? They cant simply make them all white
I just lol'd at this....troll fodder.
Best part is when you run Nvidia filters and all the Claudettes pretend they are invisible...
That's not what was said, it's particularly how they handle her versus the others of colour in the game (how they render her base hair etc), her more recent skins are handled great, it's mostly her old ones.
Found the P3 Blendette.
This is true, but console doesn't have this and such is where it suffers the most I feel (I play both console and pc as have friends on both)
A lot of people make great input, thanks for sharing opinions.
I play as Claudette as she was my first main and the first character I levelled up due to self care. Whilst I do sometimes play as a P3 Claudette most of the time my Claudette wears bright coloured clothing.
Well my Claudette went from this:
To this:
Here's my not so immersed Claudette:
I love it, she was my first character too and I do like a lot of the costumes she has in her wardrobe, I guess my issue is mainly the vanilla and prestige ones. Also yay fellow ps4 player
I play Blendette every now and then but I like playing with my cosmetics, also you can’t fix Blendette without brightening every dark cosmetic and that’d just be stupid.
What would you suggest they do? They’ve already brightened her clothing, so you want them to change her skin tone?
People picking someone with an innate advantage because of the colour palettes afforded her isn't racist. Further, these people certainly aren't 'mocking her', they're just playing because her prestige and certain cosmetics give an illusion of higher survival rate overall by giving more moments of "I should have been seen" without any need for increased skill. It's partly why I dress as Meg with white cosmetics: I'm easier to see, so it encourages me to play better - I still get overlooked by blind killers sometimes.
I think the issue is warmer darks tend to be a lot less noticeable, so the blood really doesn't help the eye "glazing" over it, paired with the lack of highlight in the hair, really is the core issue of the skin, the base skins clothing was lightened, but you'll notice when most claudettes hide, they turn their back, as the hair doesn't catch light at all and I find its the part which enables it the most right now.
So it's less of changing the "dark cosmetic" and maybe more just changing how its rendered, much like they did with everyones hair, did they even touch hers?
Edit: Red wavelengths in light don't travel as far as blue, it's why blue works so well in shadows, now I'm not saying to like change the blood to blue, I'm just trying to put some physics to my reasoning.
They already nerfed the popular Blendette cosmetics, they are brighter now. But still, these cosmetics need colour highlights imo, Blendette is still powerful.
They touched some of her hair
I do feel they are mocking her by playing her for a visual advantage, to the point she has become the meme "Blendette" lol, it's p.much a slur I'd say and is commonly used by community including streamers, am I wrong to see it from such a perspective?
Highlights are the solution, to the hair and the blood, she doesn't really interact with the light much, it's really odd, maybe its an engine limitation to the colour palette... I'm not sure tbh
You're wrong to see it as a slur, and definitely wrong to associate race. Slurs require three things, and of those the thing Blendette is missing is any hierarchical placement.
While it is typically used disparagingly, it's also just an accurate label of playstyle, like Locker Dwights or Toxic Neas. From a lore perspective, it's not great, but from a community perspective it's just reality.
Last: survivors are literally just skins. There's no intrinsic mechanical value to them in the game other than their heights and colour palettes. It's nifty to play for lore, but you have to recognize that as an uncommon behaviour.
I’m sorry but saying that the “devs encourage this kind of gameplay “ because someone chooses to play with a character with darker skin is the biggest joke I’ve ever heard.
Not every P3 Claudette plays in the way you describe and if they do so what? It’s not game breaking... other characters blend as well it’s not just Claudette.
Fair it just seems so crazy, I guess people mean no ill intent by it so I shouldn't really percieve it as it then, I guess it is just a matter of perspective then. I just feel its crazy people just play stuff they don't like and try and focus on a meta they don't even understand, or at least feels like it.
No need to be sorry, I guess it's bad wording to say that, what I was meaning was they seem to leave it as an issue mostly instead of fixing it, like I remember recently they "brightened" skins, which worked but it didn't really effect the prestige one, and as said reds are very un noticeable in shadow, and her hair compared to say it in other skins doesn't really catch the light. As for other characters I've never really had any other character compete with how well she can blend in because they actually interact with the lighting.
Maybe its the red shirt with the blood, thus making poor contrast in darkness.
@Rokku_Rorru yes i am a Claudette, but i rarely wear my p3 outfit because there is so much fashion out there sweetie!
What's your username on PS4 maybe we could team up sometime. Although, I hope you're not one of those red rank killers that have put me on their mori lists?
But is your opinion on P3 Laurie's?
I'm sorry I'm going to disagree entirely with regards to the racial aspect saying that people play her to mock her. Claudette is probably one of the most commonly played characters (I don't have official stats, just what I see personally in game). A lot of this is to do with people feeling that she blends better with her P3 clothing on some maps - although I find a P3 Quentin much harder to spot in actual fact, although there are less P3 Quentins played which is why a lot of people don't notice it.
The fact that Claudette also has Self Care as a perk, which is still considered to be a strong perk as well as Botany Knowledge & Empathy, her perk set is pretty strong which is why a lot of new players tend to play as either her or Meg when they first start off the game - and you do tend to get used to playing one specific character.
Also she has fantastic cosmetics - I love the hat and the detective style coat!
So tldr - no it's not racist to play as a character and it's actually pretty offensive to suggest that people play her for that reason.
Not trying to be racial, but Claudette has a natural stealth advantage bc of her skin color and the fact that most of her cosmetics are fairly bland in color.
Only map this doesn't work on is Ormond.
Why is Quentin level 1?!! D;
A fellow man of culture, I see.
He never complained about Claudette's race, but rather, her clothing.
They play her, because she is so hard to saw. Her P3 clothes needs to be a little bit brighter, especially her P3.
So we have threads complaining about loopers and people who try to encourage stealth, and then we have threads that are angry at stealth play and people blending in. Can't make everyone happy I guess.
I do hate the people that farm and whatnot, but in my experience, I get more Dwights that do that than Claudettes.
I actually only bought the Freddy DLC like a month before he was reworked. I didn't like playing against Freddy, but then I played a Splinter offering and I had a lot of fun, despite him being weak. Got Meg and Bill to level 50, currently working on Ace.
Although most of my killers have been neglected, with most of my blood-points earned as killer going towards survivor.
And only starting levelling up some of my killers as before I use to play killer perkless, but once I got to reds I realised playing against red rank survivors without perks is tricky (I got nurses calling in the shrine).
EDIT: It always makes my killer main friends cringe when I show them my survivors, compared to what my killers.
Yeah, I see what you mean... I've been playing since December and have only really started putting time into my killers.
Since December my survivors and killers are the following (long list!!):
Survivors:
Dwight: P3 50
Meg: 50
Claudette: 50
Jake: P2 50
Nea: 50
Ace: 50
Bill: P1 50 (currently working on him and plan on getting him p3 50 sometime soon)
Feng: 50
Laurie: 50
David: P1 50
Quentin: P3 50 (my main)
Tapp: P3 50
Kate: 50
Adam: P3 50
Jeff: P3 50
Jane: 50
Ash: P3 50
Steve: When released, I will work on him and get him to P3 50 (I'll main him and Quentin equally)
Nancy: When released I will work on her and get her to P3 50 (She'll be my first Female that I'll have prestiged and got to P3 50, won't be maining her though)
Killers:
Trapper: 1
Wraith: 1
Hillbilly: 50
Nurse: 1
Hag: 50
Doctor: 1
Myers: P1 1
Huntress: 1
Leatherface: P1 40 (currently being worked on)
Freddy: P1 1
Pig: 1
Clown: 50 (plan to get him to p3 50 sometime, he's who I main as killer)
Spirit: 1
Legion: 10 (for adept)
Plague: 1
Ghostface: 50 (about an hour ago by the time I've wrote this).
killers - stop gen-rushing and looping... its ridiculous and should be considered an exploit.
also killers - stop using characters that are good at stealth/hard to see, you should be made clearly visible so I can thwack you easier!
is there a right answer?
(if you couldn't tell, I'm mostly being facetious.)
Just discourage it as best you can. When you have a choice between chasing a blendette and real survivor, go for the blendette.
When there's 2 survivors left and one's a blendette, make sure they're the one that doesn't get out.
I want to see people do well because they have skill, not because they abuse poorly thought out cosmetics.
I main, Claudette, Nea, Jake (Plan to get him to P3 at some point), Kate, and Laurie as survivor and Hillbilly as killer (I was a Hag main one point, whilst I didn't like playing as Hag).
You got a lot of more characters who are prestiged than me, and I've been playing since early July 2018 (I took a long break in early December till late March). What's your devotion, as I only recently got devotion 3?
Devotion 3 Level 25
MacMillan + P3 Laurie = InvisiStrode
Racist? That kind of hair doesn't reflect light. LMAO! And people really hate her guts. it's got Nothing to do with race. Black+Black=ADVANCED DARKNESS.
He claimed the people playing her were "unintentionally racist".
Dumb post. How could you possibly know if they're playing her to mock her or they are racist? You dont, and they play her because she has a meta perk and she is hard to see. Doubt that you are black but as someone who is black this post isn't needed. Nothing about it needs to be "addressed" She is a black character in a horror game where stealth is a viable option varying on the killer and map and she has clothing that works well with it. Could just as easily do the same thing with a p3 tapp or p3 adam in his black trench coat. Plenty of people also play toxic on other characters too, not just Claudette.
There can be many reasons why people play this or that character, perks for example, new players start with her or Meg usually.
Another reason can be just personal taste, remember that not everyone plays with malicious intents.
There's no point on keeping this thread open, when the purpose of it is just spreading negativity and misconceptions.