The game seems to be moving in a direction where every match will play out the same...

Is the end result of balancing to kill the dynamic matches/nature of the game?

Comments

  • Could you be more specific?

  • My apologies, but I think it would be best for me to elaborate AFTER the anniversary stream....I wasn't really thinking about certain things when I created this topic.

  • That's what people wanted.

    Balance, fairness, consistency, basically blandness in the name of competitive fairness.

  • @pseudechis said:

    That's what people wanted.

    Balance, fairness, consistency, basically blandness in the name of competitive fairness.

    I feel like bots are coming as well, particularly because Evil Dead is launching with many Bot options.

  • @Raccoon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947240#Comment_2947240

    I feel like bots are coming as well, particularly because Evil Dead is launching with many Bot options.

    You know what, I would personally welcome that. Custom game bots so I could play without having to interact with the DBD player base would be great.

    People take this stuff too seriously, I'll happily murder a few bots for the fun of it when I start getting tired of the constant salty PVP.

    Yeah they aren't as good as a human player but lets face it most human players in DBD only want to play 1 way anyway and often do it more predictably and consistently than a bot does.

  • @pseudechis said:

    That's what people wanted.

    Balance, fairness, consistency, basically blandness in the name of competitive fairness.

    I mean, we have our fair share of games that have some semblance of competitive fairness without compromising fun.

  • @TAG said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947240#Comment_2947240

    I mean, we have our fair share of games that have some semblance of competitive fairness without compromising fun.

    I didn't say it wasn't fun (maybe I implied it a little), but DBD has a very consistent game play most games play out the same way all the time. Just minor variations in outcome based on who makes more mistakes.

    If you switch it up or do something different people get really angry. Mostly because they say its not fair.

    Its asymmetric its not really meant to be fair. The survivors have a team advantage the killer has a power advantage that's kind of what its set up as. The more we try to balance that out the more bland the game gets.

    My fav games as survivor are when we get heavily out matched by the killer, those game are actually scary and thrilling like a survival horror should be. One of the reasons I like facing off against NOED and miss old ebony mori's. The very real threat of elimination made the game exciting, unbalanced but exciting as it should be.

    Most people wouldn't say it was exciting because they are too busy being upset over it not being fair and getting eliminated, so they watered down the mori and the game got blander and less exciting as a result.

    People got what they wanted, less threat, more balance, blander game experience.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947253#Comment_2947253

    I didn't say it wasn't fun (maybe I implied it a little), but DBD has a very consistent game play most games play out the same way all the time. Just minor variations in outcome based on who makes more mistakes.

    If you switch it up or do something different people get really angry. Mostly because they say its not fair.

    Its asymmetric its not really meant to be fair. The survivors have a team advantage the killer has a power advantage that's kind of what its set up as. The more we try to balance that out the more bland the game gets.

    My fav games as survivor are when we get heavily out matched by the killer, those game are actually scary and thrilling like a survival horror should be. One of the reasons I like facing off against NOED and miss old ebony mori's. The very real threat of elimination made the game exciting, unbalanced but exciting as it should be.

    Most people wouldn't say it was exciting because they are too busy being upset over it not being fair and getting eliminated, so they watered down the mori and the game got blander and less exciting as a result.

    People got what they wanted, less threat, more balance, blander game experience.

    If this is considered "more balance," then we have been swindled IMO.

  • Overwatch tried to balance itself and look how popular that game is now

  • This is what happens when you have both sides screaming out for nerfs to any and all good perks, powers, items, add-ons, etc.

    Yes, some tweaks here and there are needed. But any time either side gets something somewhat interesting (new or changed), everyone loses their minds - and they more often than not get nerfed back into oblivion.

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947253#Comment_2947253

    I didn't say it wasn't fun (maybe I implied it a little), but DBD has a very consistent game play most games play out the same way all the time. Just minor variations in outcome based on who makes more mistakes.

    If you switch it up or do something different people get really angry. Mostly because they say its not fair.

    Its asymmetric its not really meant to be fair. The survivors have a team advantage the killer has a power advantage that's kind of what its set up as. The more we try to balance that out the more bland the game gets.

    My fav games as survivor are when we get heavily out matched by the killer, those game are actually scary and thrilling like a survival horror should be. One of the reasons I like facing off against NOED and miss old ebony mori's. The very real threat of elimination made the game exciting, unbalanced but exciting as it should be.

    Most people wouldn't say it was exciting because they are too busy being upset over it not being fair and getting eliminated, so they watered down the mori and the game got blander and less exciting as a result.

    People got what they wanted, less threat, more balance, blander game experience.

    Yeah, because it was so fun waiting 10 minutes (or often times more) and getting mori'd off of the first hook.

  • @lauraa said:

    Overwatch tried to balance itself and look how popular that game is now

    To be fair, it was perfectly popular until they decided to wait 2 years to update.

  • @malloymk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947270#Comment_2947270

    Yeah, because it was so fun waiting 10 minutes (or often times more) and getting mori'd off of the first hook.

    Fun is subjective it was exciting and highly threatening, I found that fun.

    Guess balancing the game didn't seem to balance the player base skew.

    In an ideal world killer queue should be longer and survivor queue quick because survivor is the elimination role while killer is the full game role.

    What you want from the game is higher killer skew so you get a good turnover of your elimination player base and they don't have to wait.

    People would care less about getting killed in 2 mins if your queue time was 30 secs. As you said nobody wants to wait 10 mins to die in 2 but being able to kill people in 2 made killer way more fun meaning likely way more killers are playing.

    But the people keep wanting to draw out games and balance around a 2k, 2e so half you player base get to feel like they won half the time, while the other half get to feel mediocre middle ground game experience most of the time. Why do you think everyone keeps saying killer is less fun when you have survivor get a 50/50 escape/die and killer get a 33/33/33 lose/meh/win scenario.

    The great irony is the search for in game balance and fairness probably created more player skew than the more unbalanced game did.

    I'd hate to say it but your point is an argument in support of what I'm saying not against.

  • What balance?

  • @pseudechis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947301#Comment_2947301

    Fun is subjective it was exciting and highly threatening, I found that fun.

    Guess balancing the game didn't seem to balance the player base skew.

    In an ideal world killer queue should be longer and survivor queue quick because survivor is the elimination role while killer is the full game role.

    What you want from the game is higher killer skew so you get a good turnover of your elimination player base and they don't have to wait.

    People would care less about getting killed in 2 mins if your queue time was 30 secs. As you said nobody wants to wait 10 mins to die in 2 but being able to kill people in 2 made killer way more fun meaning likely way more killers are playing.

    But the people keep wanting to draw out games and balance around a 2k, 2e so half you player base get to feel like they won half the time, while the other half get to feel mediocre middle ground game experience most of the time. Why do you think everyone keeps saying killer is less fun when you have survivor get a 50/50 escape/die and killer get a 33/33/33 lose/meh/win scenario.

    The great irony is the search for in game balance and fairness probably created more player skew than the more unbalanced game did.

    I'd hate to say it but your point is an argument in support of what I'm saying not against.

    Bruh. If I'm solo I don't care how fast I die. If I'm swf no one wants to die and wait 8 minutes for the match to end so they can play with their friends again.

  • @malloymk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947410#Comment_2947410

    Bruh. If I'm solo I don't care how fast I die. If I'm swf no one wants to die and wait 8 minutes for the match to end so they can play with their friends again.

    Well that’s the cost that offsets the considerable bonus that is SWF. You may die early and have to wait for your friends to finish.

    Patience is a virtue.

  • @scenekiller said:

    This is what happens when you have both sides screaming out for nerfs to any and all good perks, powers, items, add-ons, etc.

    Yes, some tweaks here and there are needed. But any time either side gets something somewhat interesting (new or changed), everyone loses their minds - and they more often than not get nerfed back into oblivion.

    What was fun about RPD boil over?

    What is fun about COH for the killer?

    What is fun about the boon mechanic in general?

    How was old DS "fun" watching someone do a gen in your face while fully protected?

    How was pallet vacuum fun?

    How were infinites fun?

    Face it. You can't make any perks worthwhile, while the current meta is as strong as it is. You don't replace busted with busted. There are plenty of good perks, they just require more effort or random chance than pressing E to outplay.

    Buckleup, Breakout, Dance with me, Lucky break, Lithe, Sprintburst, All the old healing perks, Power struggle, Any means necessary. Why take any of these strong but not guaranteed perks that would add randomness and spice to the gameplay. When you can just chuck on BT, DS, Dead hard, COH, IW and always get potentially game changing use out of them?

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947296#Comment_2947296

    What was fun about RPD boil over?

    What is fun about COH for the killer?

    What is fun about the boon mechanic in general?

    How was old DS "fun" watching someone do a gen in your face while fully protected?

    How was pallet vacuum fun?

    How were infinites fun?

    Face it. You can't make any perks worthwhile, while the current meta is as strong as it is. You don't replace busted with busted. There are plenty of good perks, they just require more effort or random chance than pressing E to outplay.

    Buckleup, Breakout, Dance with me, Lucky break, Lithe, Sprintburst, All the old healing perks, Power struggle, Any means necessary. Why take any of these strong but not guaranteed perks that would add randomness and spice to the gameplay. When you can just chuck on BT, DS, Dead hard, COH, IW and always get potentially game changing use out of them?

    I noticed you're only mentioning survivor perks and no killer perks, add-ons, etc, even though I mentioned things for both sides - so I'm not going to entertain this biased reply with any attempt at debate lol.

  • @scenekiller said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2947770#Comment_2947770

    I noticed you're only mentioning survivor perks and no killer perks, add-ons, etc, even though I mentioned things for both sides - so I'm not going to entertain this biased reply with any attempt at debate lol.

    What does the killer have that i can't just ignore?

    I am playing survivor and i just don't see the issue you seem to have.

  • In what way has DBD not been the same game since 2016? What core features have changed that have altered the gameplay in such a way OP? The meta for both has sides has almost largely been untouched with maybe one or two perks sliding in and out of a pretty stale selection and the game has lost god loops/infinites and breakable walls got added. You could maybe make the argument the game has gone from more hiding focused to more looping focused but at its core this is the exact same game and absolutely zero massive changes have been done in years.

  • Every Map has the same old gens and the same old pallets no matter who the killer is, the game is balanced around these one dimensional objectives how do you expect any gameplay variety aspire from that.

  • I mean if you want to be factual there are two kinds of matches. Where the highly experienced killer stomps on noobs and the one where the highly experienced survivors stomp on noobs. BHVR makes sure nobody is put against equally skilled players so that they can go on about their average of 2k.

  • Just remove every Meta-Perk for 4 weeks and see how it goes.

    Ban Deadhard, DS and Circle of Healing on the surv side (BT is fine) and Ruin + Noed for killers.

  • @pseudechis said:

    That's what people wanted.

    Balance, fairness, consistency, basically blandness in the name of competitive fairness.

    How's the game displaying a competitive fairness now though?

  • It will turn into matches playing out the same - until they put some variety in their titles.

    More than 60% of their content is relegated to the shadows.

    Matches play out the same because it's the same killers with the same powers with the same offerings going against the same survivors with the same perks on the same maps.


    Killer powers | Offerings | Maps | Perks


    Until these are shaken up, the game will invariably play out identically each and every time. The dev team should probably focus on the monotony and stomp it out.


    It is better to have a fun game that is slightly imbalanced than have an unfun and stagnant game that's imbalanced anyway.