The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • @Linne793 said:

    In the new Haddonfield, my PS4 Pro fan turns into a plane in certains parts of the map, specially in the center with the cars and the lights and, above all, repairing the generator of the house of pain. Am I the only one?

    No.

    Next-gen and PC's also suffer from FPS drops there as well.

  • So against my better judgment I broke and spent money on Sadako; I know, more fool me.

    This was during one of my first few games and I instantly regretted spending anything on this neglected travesty.

    https://youtu.be/BjSYfiNjMR0

    Honestly stinks they're still taking peoples money without addressing these game breaking freezes.

    It just shouldn't be running like this and is a real shock to the system after playing all the other recent games that have somehow managed to be optimised to run fine on PS4 as well as PS5 like Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands; even No Mans Sky released 2016 and has been updated to look amazing now, is insane in scale compared to DbD and yet runs absolutely great.

    Its so depressing and I genuinely feel like a mug for throwing my money away on this mess :'(

  • Them haddonfield bushes seem laggy.

  • at this point I don't think anything going to be fixed about performance issues.

  • I've been having awful lag spikes for the last few days. First couple days of the patch were fine, but around monday or so I was suddenly hit with huge lag spikes almost every game, survivor or killer. Basically whenever I found a survivor, or the killer found me, or the killer used their power, or a gen was completed, or a skill check popped up, or a pallet is kicked, I'd freeze for anywhere from a second to like 5 seconds. Once I actually DCed from the game because I froze for so long.

    Now I know DBD can be a little laggy and even at the best of times a slight bit of stuttering, especially during the first game or two of the day can happen, but this is something else.

    On PC by the way.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    at this point I don't think anything going to be fixed about performance issues.

    If they aren't going to fix it, they should stop taking peoples money for it knowing its broken.

    Even Cyberpunk was taken off the store because of terrible performance and Fallout 76 which was awful got improved eventually.

    It sucks as they promote sales on the old consoles all the time and things like the social media and anniversary streams are basically tricking a portion of the playerbase into paying for stuff that looks cool but just doesn't work to an acceptable standard.

    Disgraceful really and there should be more uproar about it; I feel like I'm screaming into the void and no one cares about how much a good portion of the playerbase is suffering because look shiny new content.

    At least if more noise was made, less new people would getting suckered into spending anything on the game; I should've known better but I feel sick thinking of the new players who see the new license or DLC and jump into the game only to be met with this and either stop playing and take the wasted money, or feel invested and keep playing despite it not working properly because they don't want to admit the money has been flushed down the loo.

    I have to wonder if its deliberately not being fixed so they can get more money out of people who feel they have to move format and rebuy everything for even more money; its disgusting.

  • I’ve had more performance issues with this patch than ever before. It kind of feels like things are going to slowly keep getting worse and worse with every patch unless the devs actually dedicate some serious resources into a major Game Health patch. For the past six years it has just been bandaid solutions and plugging one hole only to see three more holes open. Is there any good reason why the same game should perform worse over time on the same hardware?

  • The stuttering needs to be acknowledged and addressed along with the multitude of killer bugs now. make sure to upvote on bug reporting. most likely to possibly get a response.

  • @Krazzik said:

    I've been having awful lag spikes for the last few days. First couple days of the patch were fine, but around monday or so I was suddenly hit with huge lag spikes almost every game, survivor or killer. Basically whenever I found a survivor, or the killer found me, or the killer used their power, or a gen was completed, or a skill check popped up, or a pallet is kicked, I'd freeze for anywhere from a second to like 5 seconds. Once I actually DCed from the game because I froze for so long.

    Now I know DBD can be a little laggy and even at the best of times a slight bit of stuttering, especially during the first game or two of the day can happen, but this is something else.

    On PC by the way.

    If you experience that on PC, what hope is there for us peasant consolers, especially our Switch cousins?

    Appreciate the input nonetheless ty.

  • @NekoGamerX said:

    at this point I don't think anything going to be fixed about performance issues.

    You have no idea how much it pains me that nothing has changed since I made this post.


    "All of you, forgive me, for I have availed you nothing."

  • Every update makes the performance worse, and I've got a pretty strong pc.

    It's embarassing honestly

  • It is brilliant and utterly miserable to see this thread still going strong

  • Yeah, I agree it's ridiculous this thread is still needed.

    I'm slowly beginning to drift away from this game with all the issues we face with every patch. It was a bit better like 6 months ago, where you could really feel the changes they made. But then came of the hotfix patches and everything turned to trash again, with unhook freezes, lag when something goes on on the other side of the map.


    I know they want to fix their game, but sometimes it just doesn't feel that way at all. Why would we still have all these issues like a year later, when this thread was made. And still the devs are too stubborn to make a game health patch, which the consoles desperatly need (and now it seems, pc's as well). But no, must pump out new content every 3 months with more and more code added on a terrible base foundation.


    They should just pull this game from the console stores untill they fix this game. Why sucking new players in and take their money when you don't want to dedicate one big patch to try and repair the base foundation.

  • Sorry for not updating sooner, was busy, so pretty much here's what I got after introducing my friend to Dead by Daylight. Toolboxes will sometimes break (have no clue how to replicate) and by break, you literally can't use them until you pass it off to your friend, they use it for a sec and give it back.

    Next up, one of the lovely random's flashlight was busted cuz even though their flashlight was pointing to the killer the actual beam remained on the concrete, and it continued to stutter just by the Legion (we mainly played against them) using their power, when people were unhooked, hell, even when I tried to use DS after the killer wouldn't hop off my ass.

    I've taken many breaks from Dead by Daylight, considering it's been a game I used to play religiously, I just can't with it anymore, I'll come back sometimes to play maybe 5 games, but with players leaving every day because of the poor performance, I can't.

    I love this game, and I wanna see it flourish, but it's difficult with how things are going at this rate.

  • Still baffled how this game uses so much of my GPU for 1440P High settings it rivals Cyberpunk 2077 and runs worse at the same time. It's so baffling. The game's visuals do not justify it's performance.

  • New issues I've encountered over the past few months that are still ongoing on PS4.

    Frame rate drop when certain animations play (Unhooking, gen repairs, hooks, killer actions like kicking gens)

    Random FPS drop in the middle of a chase. It's like micro stuttering and it's so annoying because it can screw up your loops

    Hit validation just feels plain bad. We're talking old levels of bad hit detection recently.

    Various visual bugs that are affecting different areas of the game

    Flashlights pointing down unless you drop them and pick them up first

    Can't use Tool Box on the generator if you don't drop it and pick it up first

    Pallet stun hit detection starting to feel as bad as it did pre-patch

    Action prompts sometimes are not displaying, or in some cases even disappear like when running through and trying to drop a pallet. Now, I've also seen some bug reports of it even disappearing while looking at a pallet, but the former is more common in my case

    All this on top of the other confirmed bugs...

  • Just a June 2022 Update.

    I went on vacation and had the opportunity to play on an Xbox One again and after much frustration, I have finally managed to upload the clips.

    https://youtu.be/JO4Dy2jMg5M https://youtu.be/_D7W1Z25eWQ

    Both clips are from the same game and I was unable to play more than one. As you can clearly see, there are still multiple massive freezes (caused by DH and Vaccines) and the FPS is low and unstable. Likewise, the game does not look good at all.

    It was quite an adjustment trying to play like that again. I had nearly forgotten how difficult it was. Apologies for not being able to grab more clips.

    We can only hope that the promised 60 FPS comes soon.

  • Is this the longest thread ever seen

  • I turned on crossplay because I had a killer player that would target me so instead of DC penalties or watching his stream waiting for him to admit it again so I could get clip (didn't get clip previous time he said it) and report I turned crossplay on.

    The freezes are definitely more impactful when facing killers who aren't experiencing performance issues. Same freezes as reported multiple times in this post. Since they updated hemorrhage I feel like the freeze from that feels a bit worse and all the hook perks makes hooks/unhooks freeze feel worse. Dredge is pretty rough to play against with performance issues. His smoke is basically like fog causing performance issues.

  • @bm33 said:

    I turned on crossplay because I had a killer player that would target me so instead of DC penalties or watching his stream waiting for him to admit it again so I could get clip (didn't get clip previous time he said it) and report I turned crossplay on.

    The freezes are definitely more impactful when facing killers who aren't experiencing performance issues. Same freezes as reported multiple times in this post. Since they updated hemorrhage I feel like the freeze from that feels a bit worse and all the hook perks makes hooks/unhooks freeze feel worse. Dredge is pretty rough to play against with performance issues. His smoke is basically like fog causing performance issues.

    I would imagine Dredge would be pretty unpleasant with all of his affects.

  • @Remedicist said:

    Is this the longest thread ever seen

    Yes, it's the longest thread on the Forum.

  • Yeah you'd think they'd actually fix the performance issues by now.

  • (PS4) I don't know if this is another bug related with DbD on PS4, but I have an annoying problem related with de The Archives.

    Sometimes, when I complete a challenge, the small section (see the photo) on the right does not appear counting the progress of the challenge, so when I go back to the main menu to find another game, the challenge appears with no progress at all. This is happening to me only a few times and randomly, but is so annoying.



    sfs.png


  • Getting full second long freezes on ps4 lately that I haven't seen in some time.

  • Holy poo this tread is still going lmao. Has the performance gotten better since it was made?

  • @ArchAbhor said:

    Holy poo this tread is still going lmao. Has the performance gotten better since it was made?

    No, it got worse after the RE chapter. RE chapter was terrible. Now it's gotten better since RE but it's still worse than it was when the post was first made

  • @brokedownpalace said:

    Getting full second long freezes on ps4 lately that I haven't seen in some time.

    Hooking/Unhooks?

    That is not the only culprit but it's the one you have no control over unfortunately.

    I kinda accepted it I guess, not much else I can do.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3033453#Comment_3033453

    No, it got worse after the RE chapter. RE chapter was terrible. Now it's gotten better since RE but it's still worse than it was when the post was first made

    what a rollercoaster lol

  • @ArchAbhor said:

    Holy poo this tread is still going lmao. Has the performance gotten better since it was made?

    Not exactly,performance is still pretty awful :/

  • @th3syst3m said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3032345#Comment_3032345

    Yeah you'd think they'd actually fix the performance issues by now.

    I don't get your hopes up really. After a whole year nothing really changed. It's time to wait before the issues also get holding ground on the ps5.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    Getting FPS issues on Haddonfield. Not anywhere specifically, the whole map just runs badly :c

    Same on Series X

  • When a trigger (like an unhook) for performance issues happens while the killer is carrying you it not only makes you miss the skill check you're on but you can't even try to hit the skill checks for several seconds. Nothing happens if you hit the skill check buttons during this time. It's pretty annoying.

  • Yay this htread is on the front again!


    The xbox performance has gotten better than when tbis thread got made. Most of the time its not perfect but its not unbearable.

  • I think the only major performance issue left for me on PS4 is getting a fat FPS when survivors get unhooked,which is strangely not the case with every unhook

  • glitter-confetti.gif

    Here's your reward for that accomplishment. Now you match the P3 Titans of this game.

  • It's unfortunate that it's accomplished little in what I set out to do.

  • still no news about a optimization road , huh?😪

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3047295#Comment_3047295

    It's unfortunate that it's accomplished little in what I set out to do.

    I understand. Truly. I'm a PS4 player.






    . . . but at least you got glitter and sparkles. ✨ That makes you feel better, right?

  • I lag a lot on series S in that basement house but overall the game works much better on new gen consoles than with the old ones.

  • Performance feels like it took a hit after this patch. The normal triggers like hooks/unhooks all feel a little bit worse than they did before - the freezes feel like a second longer.

    Had a match v a Freddy. I was awake in a chase and I heard the swing and my game froze for 5 seconds and I was asleep before the hit connected. Every time I'd fall asleep there would be a freeze but the worst was definitely getting hit to into the dream world.

  • Status changes and hooks/unhooks happening anywhere in the match still causes massive freezes on console, makes chasing or being chased incredibly frustrating when you lose 3-5 seconds of visibility and control through no fault of your own 😑

  • @Vahliya said:

    Status changes and hooks/unhooks happening anywhere in the match still causes massive freezes on console, makes chasing or being chased incredibly frustrating when you lose 3-5 seconds of visibility and control through no fault of your own 😑

    Had that happen to me, I was running a hag around and all of a sudden, random lag spike, hag was now a foot behind me after I had a good amount of distance between us

  • Xbox performance gets pretty good after an update. After a few weeks it's laggy again, but then another update happens and it's smooth.


    Progress?

  • @AnchorTea said:

    Xbox performance gets pretty good after an update. After a few weeks it's laggy again, but then another update happens and it's smooth.

    Progress?

    I'm starting to get FPS drops on my Series X so I wouldn't say so.

  • According to the devs,this game is CPU-Bound. However I'm still seeing a 100% GPU utilization at Medium-Low setting at 100% resolution or auto-adjust on PC with my 3080. Constant dips of my 99% FPS which makes the game feel EXTREMELY laggy capped because it legit stutters like that every 3-7 seconds and with 120 it at least drops to 63-75 FPS instead of 22-34 FPS.

    Something tells me this game is still blueprint code which is just really bad. Who would've guessed.

  • @kizuati said:

    According to the devs,this game is CPU-Bound. However I'm still seeing a 100% GPU utilization at Medium-Low setting at 100% resolution or auto-adjust on PC with my 3080. Constant dips of my 99% FPS which makes the game feel EXTREMELY laggy capped because it legit stutters like that every 3-7 seconds and with 120 it at least drops to 63-75 FPS instead of 22-34 FPS.

    Something tells me this game is still blueprint code which is just really bad. Who would've guessed.

    My frames drop I to the teens sometimes. The middle room of Lery's is notorious for this, especially against Freddy or Nemesis. I thought they recoded the game into C+++ a long while back?

  • @JPLongstreet said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3125452#Comment_3125452

    My frames drop I to the teens sometimes. The middle room of Lery's is notorious for this, especially against Freddy or Nemesis. I thought they recoded the game into C+++ a long while back?

    They converted their horrible blueprint code into C++. It's still the same horrible code,just now in C++.

1 … 77 78 79 80 81 82