They're obviously not going to be able to revert it before the event on Friday but yes it needs to be changed asap. Played a few matches today on PS5 and my opinion is the same as before, it's TOO CLUTTERED. Devs...we're running from a killer, not flying a spaceship.
The fact that they completely ignored PTB feedback and shipped this garbage to live is just disgusting. The new UI is absolutely terrible and needs to be reverted as soon as possible.
They're obviously not going to be able to revert it before the event on Friday but yes it needs to be changed asap. Played a few matches today on PS5 and my opinion is the same as before, it's TOO CLUTTERED. Devs...we're running from a killer, not flying a spaceship.
They knew about this for over 3 weeks, they knew almost the entire playerbase didnt like it, it cant take that long to change it, and I seriously fail to see how it has anything to do with the map, or survivor movement updates. sure it would probably take a few weeks, but it feels like they are doing this so people play it during the event, which they may also use in their defense " oh players played more than usual so they must like the new hud" but honestly completely ruined the event for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I literaly dont want and cant play like that. Someone made a very good proposal which is different by just a little bit but looks so much better, keeping everything as it was and just updating it and going from there, not adding things all over the screen like we're playing a mobile game
I can understand being skeptical of negative feedback of new UI stuff, it is ALWAYS unpopular.
The issue is they also like... ignored every rule of good UI design? This isn't rocket science or some Avant-garde artform: UI design best practices were being established in the god damn 50's with ######### like Bell labs and the US Airforce.
Condense information, make it not intrusive but also easy to access. Focus on readability over fancy graphics in UI and go for minimalist styles.
Did the UI need a bit of a change people would inevitably complain about? Sure! I think 2D art of every character in black and white would be a rad idea.
But the info is all spread out. Its in hard to read fonts with thin lines. Its 3D color art that makes it hard to get info. Its both really busy, really decentralized, and really unclear.
Look at any other game, you know what they do? They centralize all your information at the bottom of the screen: Mobas have your abilities, health, and items at the bottom. Shooters have your health, ammo, and any abilities at the bottom. MMOs? Sometimes they put stuff at the top, but usually that stuff is relevant to choices you make looking at the screen like health bars: When you want to gauge the more tactical situation, you look at your health, mana, and cooldowns at the bottom!
The new UI is totally fixable: Just go for simplified art of each of the characters on a solid background much like the perks (though a different color/shape so its clear your not looking at a perk, maybe squares for items, diamonds for perks, circles for survivors?), and move the gen count and character tracker to the bottom, so if you want to get a read of your overall situation, you just look down, like EVERY OTHER GAME EVER.
Its so clear you didn't hire someone with a background in UI design, you hired someone with a background in graphic design, the kind of people who make UIs in scifi comics or shows where there is just information and doodads everywhere because that is visually flashy for STORYTELLING but is not actually how good UI's work: UIs should be invisible until you need them and then crystal clear until you don't, ideally also allowing you to subconsciously soak in the info or notice changes.
I played one game before I had to turn it off because my eyes were already hurting from strain at having to dart around for all the info; I literally cannot play the game with this UI.
They're obviously not going to be able to revert it before the event on Friday but yes it needs to be changed asap. Played a few matches today on PS5 and my opinion is the same as before, it's TOO CLUTTERED. Devs...we're running from a killer, not flying a spaceship.
How is the new HUD too cluttered? It literally got spread out more from the previous version
...it's literally taking up more space on the screen than before. Hence, cluttering our FOV.
It was minimal & compact in the old hud.
Yeah the old version was more compact. I just don't find it cluttering to me now I find it so much better I don't have to look at the bottom of my screen anymore, and I play with the lowest scale of the HUD so its barely noticeable on my screen maybe that's why I don't have an issue with the change
Did they ever consider the fact that most of us console players, play on 60-70" flat screens?! It is impossible to keep track of anything with this garbage UI. I can't for the life of me understand why the devs keep making changes that are destroying both their game and the player base.
In largely okay with it but would like generators placed at bottom of screen. Its not terrible and I largely like it but being at top feels unnecessary. Overall I love it but just want a minor change
Did they ever consider the fact that most of us console players, play on 60-70" flat screens?! It is impossible to keep track of anything with this garbage UI. I can't for the life of me understand why the devs keep making changes that are destroying both their game and the player base.
Have the developpers played on computer with Discord at some point ?
Because one of the most important part of the overlay simply overlap Discord overlay... Meanwhile useless like tools is peacefully displayed alone on the bottom left, just totally empty when we don't have any items....
The new state element is pretty but totally unplayable.
The aim of it is to display information de ba quickly understandable, but now there're just too many colors, it's not easily and quickly readable at all :/
Have the developpers played on computer with Discord at some point ?
Because one of the most important part of the overlay simply overlap Discord overlay... Meanwhile useless like tools is peacefully displayed alone on the bottom left, just totally empty when we don't have any items....
I believe discord let's u choose where u want to see your friends icons
I would be almost perfectly fine with it if they kept the icons in the same place as the old one they can keep the current icons as if for all I care just put them back to where they were
Most of the killers have powers where keeping track of their power gauges or power numbers is important, yet they moved the survivor states and gen numbers away from there.
Its very impractical to look at the top of the screen unless you are not in chases and don't care about potentially missing survivors.
I hate the new UI. Words cannot express how much I hate it. Really.
I also don't like the little gas cloud at the bottom of Clown's screen. ######### is with that? It's bright and animated! I don't need more distractions. Goddamn, guys.
And don't tell me to stop the survivors from escaping! I do what I want. hmph. Really, though, extra text on the screen? Why not just make a better tutorial, then you wouldn't need useless garbage like that taking up screen space.
My major critique of the new hud would be the hook meters are ungodly small. Those need to be enlarged for sure. The generators would be better off at the bottom but thats not a big deal.
I'm not going to look all over my screen for information, especially when I'm paying attention to other things going on in the game. In an era where you're trying to give survivors/killers more information, you're giving them less.
There is good and there is bad in this new HUD. And since you didn't add a medium answer i'm forced to be negative ;(
GOOD
the hook count for survivors
the hook count for killers
the status effects in colors ( great for the upcoming colorblindness modes )
the portraits : could be less generic and more an actual portrait of the survivor cosmetics ( could be generated during the loading screen )
generators remaining : as a CSGO player i'm used to have the info on the middle top part of my screen so i'm ok with this change
BAD
the hook count for killers : the general number of hooks is good but i still don't see why killers don't have the hook per survivor one, it definitly wouldn't make people tunnel more or less just give more informations and help making good decisions (leave the chase to stop that survivor who is dead on hook from finishing the gen next to you) + it also make the portraits HUD really asymmetric with the names of the survivor so low.
the placement of the portraits : being at the top-middle left side is hiding a great portion of screen that could be use to either see the killer coming or survivor scaring a crow in the distance + i can see it also affecting people playing SWF with the Discord HUD overlapping it = that's why it was good in the bottom left of the screen where you lose no visual informations over your environment
the name of the survivor : easier to see than before so GOOD but might want to move them slightly to the right so the Obsession claws don't actually touch it it would be more pleasing to the eyes ^^
the bleeding/hooked/BT/deepwound bar : it's not as visible as it use to be and being next to the portraits and not centered under it make it hard to see when a survivor is reaching struggle phase if on hook + also harder to see if a down survivor is getting picked up or healed from the ground
injured state : the scar effect is definitly a better version that the glowing red one from PTB so that is good, but there is room for improvment. It's still hard to see since the HUD isn't as close to the eyes as it use to be especially on big monitor or TV if you play on console. Maybe add a sound effect ? so when you hear it you immediatly look at the HUD to see who is injured ?
Overall it's just a matter of placement and small size changes ^^
the location of the new HUD is horrible, tired the view and distracts you from the game. It hides a lot of information (birds that fly, assassin that comes) not to mention that it does not leave space for the cameras when streaming without obscuring some data from the viewers. The bleed bars are very small. The photo of the characters is fine, but they are generic and have nothing to do with the cosmetic they carry, not providing the information for which it is supposed to be created. Everything was better as before in the lower left corner where looking once all the information of the game was obtained.
So far only 1% of people said they love it and 4% voted to leave it its fine, so only 5% of people are on board with the new UI that makes 95% of the community against it
Everything looks nice except the high res portraits of the characters (who are ugly as #########) there are simple minimalist portraits that are just white and you can distinguish the characters easily, it might even save resources, someone made a really good example of this already so devs have the ability to do it too. The location of the HUD however is absolute trash. Having your eyes dart around for information while also keeping an eye on the game for the killer/survivor moving around as well as skill checks is going to have people going cross eyed. It's already given me a migraine from a single game. It would be so much better if it was at least positioned like before so we can just look at 1 place and with a single glance and see pretty much everything you need. I don't even want to imagine playing killer where you have to pay so much more attention to who is up or down and at survivor's statuses along with the limited vision killers have whil searching for survivors and following scratchmarks while trying to keep an eye on other things. This isn't an mmorpg where we have 200 skills and buffs/debuffs that has to fit somewhere on the screen. There is very little that needs to be shown, there is no need at all to spread it all over the place.
Please for the Love of God, change it back to the old layout. I don't know who thought this was a good idea. I don't want to be juggling my eyes around to see how many gens, hooks, points being added etc. The update with the hook ticker is fine, just move the placement.
The new UI is godawful, and the blatant lies from BHVR saying they can't revert it is just sad. I don't know why they even bother with the PTB anymore if they aren't going to listen to the community and change what needs to be changed. And them saying " Oh BuT cOnSoLe PlAyErS nEeD tO tEsT iT" is also a fat load of #########. I'm a console player and just seeing pictures, not even playing it, makes stomach turn. I could tell it was going to be bad the day the PTB came out.
@Peanits@not_Queen look at the votes. do you not see the problem here? stop making unnecessary changes nobody wanted, you're literally killing your game.
I wouldn't mind the new HUD if it wasn't for the fact that everything is so spread out. Looking all over the screen for information makes me dizzy and gives me a horrible headache, So much so that I have to take a long break before going into another match. If they would have kept everything at the bottom left of the screen, I would have liked the new HUD much more.
Love the old one, new one is really hard to see gen’s numbers, ppl’s status, also the time bar is way too small Idk do they there to see or what. Why all of the elements are located everywhere? The old ver UI was perfect itself. Plz bring back old UI. New icon when survivers hurts, looks too cheesy
I wish there were an option to be neutral about it. Having played with it for a couple of days, I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I kind of wish the gens weren't marooned at the top and I dislike the killer hook counter on principle, since it feels like, if I'm making such good progress on hooks, the entity should stop being disappointed.
I think there's room to improve it in the future, but it's not ruining my experience.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Mathew says in the next stream,”have you tried playing a different game?” Because I’m sure he thinks that “They’ve done a pretty good job so far.”
I understand the reasoning behind why people hate it so it's not that I think it's 100% fine as is, but personally I've had 0 problems with it because I'm not given too much info by looking in 1 spot.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
They're obviously not going to be able to revert it before the event on Friday but yes it needs to be changed asap. Played a few matches today on PS5 and my opinion is the same as before, it's TOO CLUTTERED. Devs...we're running from a killer, not flying a spaceship.
This is by far the most Anti community feedback change they have made in the history of DbD
There probably going to revert it in 2 weeks cause of negative feedback I can’t believe this well there going to lose a lot of players on both sides
The fact that they completely ignored PTB feedback and shipped this garbage to live is just disgusting. The new UI is absolutely terrible and needs to be reverted as soon as possible.
They're saying 90% of people hate it, they didn't know how right they were
They knew about this for over 3 weeks, they knew almost the entire playerbase didnt like it, it cant take that long to change it, and I seriously fail to see how it has anything to do with the map, or survivor movement updates. sure it would probably take a few weeks, but it feels like they are doing this so people play it during the event, which they may also use in their defense " oh players played more than usual so they must like the new hud" but honestly completely ruined the event for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I literaly dont want and cant play like that. Someone made a very good proposal which is different by just a little bit but looks so much better, keeping everything as it was and just updating it and going from there, not adding things all over the screen like we're playing a mobile game
The new HUD is the worst thing i've ever seen in DBD and should be completely destroyed.
I never thought that something like this could hurt my eyes this much and even give me headaches.
It seriously makes me want to uninstall this game.
I can understand being skeptical of negative feedback of new UI stuff, it is ALWAYS unpopular.
The issue is they also like... ignored every rule of good UI design? This isn't rocket science or some Avant-garde artform: UI design best practices were being established in the god damn 50's with ######### like Bell labs and the US Airforce.
Condense information, make it not intrusive but also easy to access. Focus on readability over fancy graphics in UI and go for minimalist styles.
Did the UI need a bit of a change people would inevitably complain about? Sure! I think 2D art of every character in black and white would be a rad idea.
But the info is all spread out. Its in hard to read fonts with thin lines. Its 3D color art that makes it hard to get info. Its both really busy, really decentralized, and really unclear.
Look at any other game, you know what they do? They centralize all your information at the bottom of the screen: Mobas have your abilities, health, and items at the bottom. Shooters have your health, ammo, and any abilities at the bottom. MMOs? Sometimes they put stuff at the top, but usually that stuff is relevant to choices you make looking at the screen like health bars: When you want to gauge the more tactical situation, you look at your health, mana, and cooldowns at the bottom!
The new UI is totally fixable: Just go for simplified art of each of the characters on a solid background much like the perks (though a different color/shape so its clear your not looking at a perk, maybe squares for items, diamonds for perks, circles for survivors?), and move the gen count and character tracker to the bottom, so if you want to get a read of your overall situation, you just look down, like EVERY OTHER GAME EVER.
Its so clear you didn't hire someone with a background in UI design, you hired someone with a background in graphic design, the kind of people who make UIs in scifi comics or shows where there is just information and doodads everywhere because that is visually flashy for STORYTELLING but is not actually how good UI's work: UIs should be invisible until you need them and then crystal clear until you don't, ideally also allowing you to subconsciously soak in the info or notice changes.
I played one game before I had to turn it off because my eyes were already hurting from strain at having to dart around for all the info; I literally cannot play the game with this UI.
How is the new HUD too cluttered? It literally got spread out more from the previous version
I like it, but it needs many changes.
...it's literally taking up more space on the screen than before. Hence, cluttering our FOV.
It was minimal & compact in the old hud.
Yeah the old version was more compact. I just don't find it cluttering to me now I find it so much better I don't have to look at the bottom of my screen anymore, and I play with the lowest scale of the HUD so its barely noticeable on my screen maybe that's why I don't have an issue with the change
Did they ever consider the fact that most of us console players, play on 60-70" flat screens?! It is impossible to keep track of anything with this garbage UI. I can't for the life of me understand why the devs keep making changes that are destroying both their game and the player base.
Kiddos all afraid of change.
In largely okay with it but would like generators placed at bottom of screen. Its not terrible and I largely like it but being at top feels unnecessary. Overall I love it but just want a minor change
EXACTLY, the eye strain is insane
Have the developpers played on computer with Discord at some point ?
Because one of the most important part of the overlay simply overlap Discord overlay... Meanwhile useless like tools is peacefully displayed alone on the bottom left, just totally empty when we don't have any items....
The new state element is pretty but totally unplayable.
The aim of it is to display information de ba quickly understandable, but now there're just too many colors, it's not easily and quickly readable at all :/
I believe discord let's u choose where u want to see your friends icons
Wow they UI went the live and the feedback is still overwhelmingly negative. Who could have seen this coming!?
I would be almost perfectly fine with it if they kept the icons in the same place as the old one they can keep the current icons as if for all I care just put them back to where they were
While that is true,it is not player friendly to make them change their Discord overlay only for one game :v
And since every corner is now used... That make it a bit tricky
@Peanits I hope this feedback you were looking for about the new UI is good enough
Most of the killers have powers where keeping track of their power gauges or power numbers is important, yet they moved the survivor states and gen numbers away from there.
Its very impractical to look at the top of the screen unless you are not in chases and don't care about potentially missing survivors.
Played a bunch of matches today as killer on PS4.
I hate the new UI. Words cannot express how much I hate it. Really.
I also don't like the little gas cloud at the bottom of Clown's screen. ######### is with that? It's bright and animated! I don't need more distractions. Goddamn, guys.
And don't tell me to stop the survivors from escaping! I do what I want. hmph. Really, though, extra text on the screen? Why not just make a better tutorial, then you wouldn't need useless garbage like that taking up screen space.
Yeah the HUD seems almost counterintuitive.
As bad as it is - you can scale it down in terms of size in the settings screen.
My major critique of the new hud would be the hook meters are ungodly small. Those need to be enlarged for sure. The generators would be better off at the bottom but thats not a big deal.
Please revert hud
I've already gotten used to it. I understand why people don't like it tho
I'm not going to look all over my screen for information, especially when I'm paying attention to other things going on in the game. In an era where you're trying to give survivors/killers more information, you're giving them less.
There is good and there is bad in this new HUD. And since you didn't add a medium answer i'm forced to be negative ;(
GOOD
BAD
Overall it's just a matter of placement and small size changes ^^
the location of the new HUD is horrible, tired the view and distracts you from the game. It hides a lot of information (birds that fly, assassin that comes) not to mention that it does not leave space for the cameras when streaming without obscuring some data from the viewers. The bleed bars are very small. The photo of the characters is fine, but they are generic and have nothing to do with the cosmetic they carry, not providing the information for which it is supposed to be created. Everything was better as before in the lower left corner where looking once all the information of the game was obtained.
They said they wanted console feedback, I'm on PS4 and look where I voted.
So far only 1% of people said they love it and 4% voted to leave it its fine, so only 5% of people are on board with the new UI that makes 95% of the community against it
I like the look of it, I just hate the layout. Put it all in one corner instead of across the screen and I'd be happy
Everything looks nice except the high res portraits of the characters (who are ugly as #########) there are simple minimalist portraits that are just white and you can distinguish the characters easily, it might even save resources, someone made a really good example of this already so devs have the ability to do it too. The location of the HUD however is absolute trash. Having your eyes dart around for information while also keeping an eye on the game for the killer/survivor moving around as well as skill checks is going to have people going cross eyed. It's already given me a migraine from a single game. It would be so much better if it was at least positioned like before so we can just look at 1 place and with a single glance and see pretty much everything you need. I don't even want to imagine playing killer where you have to pay so much more attention to who is up or down and at survivor's statuses along with the limited vision killers have whil searching for survivors and following scratchmarks while trying to keep an eye on other things. This isn't an mmorpg where we have 200 skills and buffs/debuffs that has to fit somewhere on the screen. There is very little that needs to be shown, there is no need at all to spread it all over the place.
I dont really like it that much i hope they make it in settings you can change it back to the old one butgood updoot over all :D
Please for the Love of God, change it back to the old layout. I don't know who thought this was a good idea. I don't want to be juggling my eyes around to see how many gens, hooks, points being added etc. The update with the hook ticker is fine, just move the placement.
The new UI is godawful, and the blatant lies from BHVR saying they can't revert it is just sad. I don't know why they even bother with the PTB anymore if they aren't going to listen to the community and change what needs to be changed. And them saying " Oh BuT cOnSoLe PlAyErS nEeD tO tEsT iT" is also a fat load of #########. I'm a console player and just seeing pictures, not even playing it, makes stomach turn. I could tell it was going to be bad the day the PTB came out.
Man new mobile game on console
Also I hate having to look everywhere on my screen just to figure out where is the gen counter
@Peanits @not_Queen look at the votes. do you not see the problem here? stop making unnecessary changes nobody wanted, you're literally killing your game.
I wouldn't mind the new HUD if it wasn't for the fact that everything is so spread out. Looking all over the screen for information makes me dizzy and gives me a horrible headache, So much so that I have to take a long break before going into another match. If they would have kept everything at the bottom left of the screen, I would have liked the new HUD much more.
^ :)
Love the old one, new one is really hard to see gen’s numbers, ppl’s status, also the time bar is way too small Idk do they there to see or what. Why all of the elements are located everywhere? The old ver UI was perfect itself. Plz bring back old UI. New icon when survivers hurts, looks too cheesy
I wish there were an option to be neutral about it. Having played with it for a couple of days, I don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I kind of wish the gens weren't marooned at the top and I dislike the killer hook counter on principle, since it feels like, if I'm making such good progress on hooks, the entity should stop being disappointed.
I think there's room to improve it in the future, but it's not ruining my experience.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Mathew says in the next stream,”have you tried playing a different game?” Because I’m sure he thinks that “They’ve done a pretty good job so far.”
I understand the reasoning behind why people hate it so it's not that I think it's 100% fine as is, but personally I've had 0 problems with it because I'm not given too much info by looking in 1 spot.