Is there a reason to play Clown over Freddy?

Even a single one except for his instadown addon? He's literally the same but in worse.


At least give him a locker teleport, it would fit the theme seeing him squeeze into a locker and come out from another would be fun.


Trying to get the crown on him right now but man is he bad, i feel like his clouds are even weaker than freddy's infinitely spammable traps.

Comments

  • Clown's slowdown can be tossed infront of the survivor, so it works in more than just a circle. Its also more consistant because it doesnt rely on the survivor to be in the sleep state.

  • Have you heard of these two terms?

    FUN

    CHALLLENGE


    No?

    I can see that.

  • @Valor188917 said:

    Even a single one except for his instadown addon? He's literally the same but in worse.

    At least give him a locker teleport, it would fit the theme seeing him squeeze into a locker and come out from another would be fun.

    with his recent buff clowns chase potential is actually insane.

    Freddy has his snares, but he has to get peopl into the dream world first plus the snares are way smaller then clowns bottles.

    Freddy has more map pressure sure, and i think hes overall stronger then clown, but if you want to have fast chases clown is now stonger then freddy in this cathegory.

  • @PureHostility said:

    Have you heard of these two terms?

    FUN

    CHALLLENGE

    No?

    I can see that.

    He literally has the same concept but weaker.

  • Thats the issue with Freddy on one hand and Clown on the other hand.

    Freddy needs more down sides to his power, in overall decreasw all aroundness of his power.

    Clown needs small tweaks to make his chase potential to have less downtime and bottles have stronger effect. "He is underrated".

  • Well hitting a survivor with a bottle interrupts their action, so there's that.

    Also the bottles' gas covers a greater area rather than the snares, and there's no need to be in the dream world to be affected by the gas too. There are definitely differences between this 2 mechanics, but still, Clown needs something more to keep up with the rest of the killers.

  • Clown is my first main, so he holds sentimental value to me. He's not that weak either, you just need to know how to pressure chases, as Clown can dominate in chases already. Plus Clown naturally has a bigger area of effect with his bottles (depending on his throw) compared to Freddy. Freddy can kiss it with his tiny snares.

    IMG_20200430_222058.jpg


  • He’s different enough, I have more fun playing clown, and I don’t always have to be a top tier killer to enjoy this game.

    Winning isn’t everything, and besides you can still be competitive with clown most games. But if you don’t wanna challenge yourself and only use the strongest option that’s fine too.

  • I was gonna tag dude delicious but yet again he has beaten me to the post

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    There are things Clown can do that Freddy simply cannot do.

    For starters, one bottle at a loop achieves what 3 snares do WITHOUT having to do several laps before setting them up, AND Clown doesn’t have to wait for awake survivors to fall asleep.

    Clown can zone survivors away from tiles AHEAD of the chase. Freddy simply cannot do this. He’s mostly reactionary with his snares, and only works if survivors are stupid enough to keep doing laps around the same loop.

    Guess he's not my playstyle then since i'm more of a strategist who enjoys global mappressure with fake teleports.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423623#Comment_1423623

    Clown is a strategist. It’s just limited to how he takes control of the chase.

    I just hated how his bottle slow was barely noticable, I didn't use addons sure but a power shouldn't be garbage without addons.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423642#Comment_1423642

    His power is perfectly fine without add ons provided thought is put into making each bottle toss count.

    im not a fan of chars that I need to learn mechanics of in a 1off game like DBD to be honest so I wont learn it and just keep playing m1 killers like Executioner.

  • Depends what you're after. If you want to play braindead and get easy 4ks then no. Freddy every time.

  • @Valor188917 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423644#Comment_1423644

    im not a fan of chars that I need to learn mechanics of in a 1off game like DBD to be honest so I wont learn it and just keep playing m1 killers like Executioner.

    This is a really good point, it’s the reason I r never learned nurse... I feel like playing her to her full potential quo’s require muscle memory and knowledge of loops that would hinder my playing with the other 19 killers

  • @goatslinger said:

    Depends what you're after. If you want to play braindead and get easy 4ks then no. Freddy every time.

    Why should I have to put in brainpower while survivors holdm1 in a game with no competitive mode or clout in the first place, also freddy is just a regular m1 killer with a teleport mostly, he's not more brainless than for example bubba or wraith.

  • Why play clown?

    Better laugh than Freddy.

    Bottles make survivors scream which is always a fun time.

    Easier time finding immersed blendettes. Just launch bottle until you hear the screams. Ir the intoxicated scoring event pops up.

    More people fear clowns than Freddy.

    Better theme music.

    Less likely to be dc'd on.

    Better cosmetics...or just actually having cosmetic options.

    Will almost ALWAYS be underestimated.

    No teleport but who cares! The nerf to gen speeds makes teleporting and super speed obsolete anyway!

  • There was no nerf to genspeeds so what are you talking about.

  • I used to be a Freddy main, but my big gripe about him has always been that killer sits in the dark dreamworld with limited vision and crap flying all over the screen for no reason. Freddy should see clearly and normal despite him being in the dreamworld, its literally just a visual nerf and serves no purpose and thats mostly why I play Clown more now since Freddy rework. Once you play him like 10 hours straight for a stream, and then play a non-dreamworld killer you realize the dreamworld hurts your eyes, make it more difficult to find people, and causes headaches.

    Went from playing Freddy daily to Clown everyday, I play Clown and Legion the most now... and if I play Freddy the dreamworld reminds me why I no longer do.

  • The Clown surely deserves a rework. Its power is redundant, not very original... throwing gas bottles that "intoxicate", that's all. It's not even laughing gas! And if the effect is real for the survivors (we no longer see anything, we cough, we no longer advance...), the experience is not very rich for the killer.

    Developers should take care of it seriously, not just make a few balancing adjustments.

    The universe of the clown is ultimately limitless, and is very interesting in horror. I am convinced that the developers would very much like to work on it, for something much more signed, rich, funny, disturbing... With the Clown, it is really possible to think something else entirely, or to keep the gas going, to add something else, and completely rework the addons in order to vary the experience. I imagine very well gas of different colors for different effects, at least.

  • If you like the Clown more, play the Clown. That's all that matters.

  • There is a point in playing Clown over Freddy if you simply like him more as a character. From a competitive standpoint there isn't much point.

  • @LordGlint said:

    Clown's slowdown can be tossed infront of the survivor, so it works in more than just a circle. Its also more consistant because it doesnt rely on the survivor to be in the sleep state.

    This ^

    People miss the fact that clown can end chases much more quickly than Fred. Its Freds teleporting that make him dangerous. In chase when youre awake you can loop him to ######### and when youre asleep it DOES take time to put down snares. Not much, second or 2, but while freds doing that clowns already tossed the bottle and is coming around the side.

    The reason clown sucks is because he doesnt end chases quickly enough to generate the map pressure required to stop decent teams from completeing gens. But all killers have that problem for various reasons depending of course on the skill level of the team

  • OP here's an image fresh off the press for you

    freddy vs clown finished.jpg


  • @Valor188917 said:

    There was no nerf to genspeeds so what are you talking about.

    There was but only for multiple people on the gen. Mostly was sarcasm in my gen nerf statement

  • @Valor188917 said:

    Even a single one except for his instadown addon? He's literally the same but in worse.

    At least give him a locker teleport, it would fit the theme seeing him squeeze into a locker and come out from another would be fun.

    About to main clown and doctor because it's more of a challenge. Freddy is too easy IMO and isn't fun. Doctor is really fun to use, looks cool, and I can still 4k easily as him. Clown looks terrible but he'll definitely be fun (for atleast the first 10~ games). Clown is like a powerhouse in a 1v1, which is the fun part.

    However ofc Freddy is better than him.

  • Because he's got the best attack CD animation.

    spin to win.png


  • @Kebek said:

    Because he's got the best attack CD animation.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/QQWCQNJDWQY1/spin-to-win.png

    with 7-8 stacks of STBFL its amazing

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423521#Comment_1423521

    This ^

    People miss the fact that clown can end chases much more quickly than Fred. Its Freds teleporting that make him dangerous. In chase when youre awake you can loop him to ######### and when youre asleep it DOES take time to put down snares. Not much, second or 2, but while freds doing that clowns already tossed the bottle and is coming around the side.

    The reason clown sucks is because he doesnt end chases quickly enough to generate the map pressure required to stop decent teams from completeing gens. But all killers have that problem for various reasons depending of course on the skill level of the team

    It’s always the slowdown, while forever Freddy was nerfed if you stack addons, sloppy, pop, Thana, dying light in some combo it still buys you lots of time to be bad in chases

  • @csandman1977 said:

    Why play clown?

    Better laugh than Freddy.

    Bottles make survivors scream which is always a fun time.

    Easier time finding immersed blendettes. Just launch bottle until you hear the screams. Ir the intoxicated scoring event pops up.

    More people fear clowns than Freddy.

    Better theme music.

    Less likely to be dc'd on.

    Better cosmetics...or just actually having cosmetic options.

    Will almost ALWAYS be underestimated.

    No teleport but who cares! The nerf to gen speeds makes teleporting and super speed obsolete anyway!

    More people fear clowns than Freddy.

    Are we both playing the same game?

  • @johnmwarner said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423794#Comment_1423794

    It’s always the slowdown, while forever Freddy was nerfed if you stack addons, sloppy, pop, Thana, dying light in some combo it still buys you lots of time to be bad in chases

    Yeah true, Freddys add ons and perk synergy with his powers are pretty insane. He has that leaps and bounds over clown as well. Teleporting with pop is another example of that.

    He is way different than clown

  • @xEa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423723#Comment_1423723

    More people fear clowns than Freddy.

    Are we both playing the same game?

    I meant like in real life coulraphobia is a really big fear. Is anyone really afraid of Freddy after the first movie?

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423837#Comment_1423837

    I meant like in real life coulraphobia is a really big fear. Is anyone really afraid of Freddy after the first movie?

    Hes really creepy in part 2 and the remake as well 👀

  • Part 3 is awesome but hes like a comedian. Not scary at all.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423773#Comment_1423773

    Clown doesn’t need a rework. He’s perfectly fine. Maybe a few more tweaks. He’s just underrated, exactly like the devs said. The problem with Clown is that there aren’t a huge amount of players that have properly figured out his power. Most just mindlessly throw bottles at the survivor they’re chasing. Rarely does anybody think about where the survivor is going, and throwing the bottle there so the gas cloud has had time to fully expand, and then either try to force the survivor through it, or trick them into running to avoid it, either of which usually results in a free hit.

    Also I rarely see Clown players throwing gas in the correct spots at loops. They just throw at the pallet (or vault) which is a complete waste of time.

    While he could use a buff here and there I agree I don't want him to have a total rework and change his powers like they did Freddy, I literally started playing Clown because they changed Freddy. Clown playstyle iis awesome and I like being aggressive with him, any rework talk makes me nervous these days. Hands off the clown just buff hhis numbers

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423794#Comment_1423794

    “The reason players think clown sucks is because they don’t use the bottles properly to end chases as quickly as Clown is actually capable of to generate the pressure necessary to get survivors off gens and doing frequent saves/assists”

    There. I fixed it for you.

    Im still waiting on that guide from you thats going to teach us all how to do that 🤷‍♂️

  • @Valor188917 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423699#Comment_1423699

    Why should I have to put in brainpower while survivors holdm1 in a game with no competitive mode or clout in the first place, also freddy is just a regular m1 killer with a teleport mostly, he's not more brainless than for example bubba or wraith.

    He's not more brainless but much more powerful. Anyone with 2 hands can throw on pop and bbq and 4k anyone with freddy. He's very very strong with no skill cap. So no, there is not really a reason to choose clown over him.

  • @Ghost_Face_Main said:

    Clown is my first main, so he holds sentimental value to me. He's not that weak either, you just need to know how to pressure chases, as Clown can dominate in chases already. Plus Clown naturally has a bigger area of effect with his bottles (depending on his throw) compared to Freddy. Freddy can kiss it with his tiny snares.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/L1JZXKENKJCB/img-20200430-222058.jpg

    Careful @Ghost_Face_Main. The devs said on stream that Clown is “underrated” and received a ton of backlash.

  • @goatslinger said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423711#Comment_1423711

    He's not more brainless but much more powerful. Anyone with 2 hands can throw on pop and bbq and 4k anyone with freddy. He's very very strong with no skill cap. So no, there is not really a reason to choose clown over him.

    You still only 4k against potatoes as freddy since he has no killpressure, smart survivors will just go for distance, it's sad that many survivors get carried by too large maps.

  • @csandman1977 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423837#Comment_1423837

    I meant like in real life coulraphobia is a really big fear. Is anyone really afraid of Freddy after the first movie?

    I mean, the movie is old but i know people who saw it back in the days when they were kids. They dont sleep that well since :P

  • @xEa said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1423840#Comment_1423840

    I mean, the movie is old but i know people who saw it back in the days when they were kids. They dont sleep that well since :P

    oh come on, I was a kid in the 80s, watched it as a child, and now own the DVD box set, aint nobody scared of Freddy. LOL

    But fear of clowns is an actual fear. I mean, like people actually seek therapy over it.

  • His bottles always affect survivors and can be thrown ahead to potentially save loops. The downsides outweigh the positives relative to Freddy though if we're doing a 1:1 comparison. The grunt on vaults is egregious. Legitimately can't mindgame a vault.

  • Because i can say "######### YOUR EXHAUSTION PERKS #########!" while i laugh and almost have an asthma attackk.

  • I used to be so good with Clown, I haven’t played him in ages until the other day though and now I’m rusty with the bottles.

    Truth be told I don’t find Freddys snares very fun. Its a bit dull and I much prefer his fake pallets. Clown I find more fun. Even if Freddy is stronger I guess it’s about fun really. Throwing and aiming bottles to cut people off is better than spamming m2 Until you’ve got a minefield around a loop

  • @Valor188917 said:

    Even a single one except for his instadown addon? He's literally the same but in worse.

    At least give him a locker teleport, it would fit the theme seeing him squeeze into a locker and come out from another would be fun.

    Personal Preference.

  • Clown has a better laugh.

  • Clown is more fun to play. You can just focus on the bottles and chasing survivors. Freddy has to set up snares, teleport to gens etc. Sure he is much better but Clown for me is more relaxing, and he laughs funny.

  • @ClickyClicky said:

    I used to be so good with Clown, I haven’t played him in ages until the other day though and now I’m rusty with the bottles.

    Truth be told I don’t find Freddys snares very fun. Its a bit dull and I much prefer his fake pallets. Clown I find more fun. Even if Freddy is stronger I guess it’s about fun really. Throwing and aiming bottles to cut people off is better than spamming m2 Until you’ve got a minefield around a loop

    I played Freddy for a ridiculous amount of time before rework. Played him to rank 1 no ruin no noed build. Played him perkless for hours per day. I literally started my twitch channel streaming Freddy only for 8+ hours per day years ago now and CLown is way more "fun." I don't enjoy the new snares playstyle and prefer Hag if I want to teleport or lay traps at loops. I like being a STBFL maniac with Clown, if I get beat so be it, but Freddy is no where near as fun as Clown these days. Freddy is a chore to play with constant visual nerfs, clown is all love baby. When I pl;ayed Old Freddy I played him aggressive, dropping chase and using his auras to contol all 4 players, now after rework,... meh, not for me.