Why I don't think Springtrap would be a good addition in dbd
I want to start off by saying that I'm not vilifying anyone who wants a fnaf chapter. Everyone's free to have their own opinions. But I am highly not in favour for adding in Springtrap. Here are my reasons.
- He cannot be taken seriously
Say what you will about the subjectivity of horror, but the reputation of fnaf is a far cry from the likes of Halloween and Friday the 13th. What I mean by this is that someone who has never seen any movie from either franchise will instantly know that they're both horror related.
Now I will fully admit to not playing all of the fnaf games, nor reading any of the books. Maybe they've greatly improved since I dropped them and what I'm about to say is no longer correct. But fnaf is mostly known for its themepark-like jump scares and teeth-shatteringly obnoxious fanbase. The latter is not even a fault of the game's, (mostly because of content creators like Matpat and his hilariously baseless theories), and the rabidity of the fans. But even if that information is outdated, the fact remains that fnaf's general reputation is only loosely based around horror. Which would heavily contrast dbd's tone as a horror game.
2.The game does not need more licensed characters right now
This point is self explanatory. There are currently 20 killers in the game right now. 7 of them are licensed. Almost half of the entire roster! The majority of which have had lacklustre receptions and do not add much to the game besides their name. Pig and Cannibal are the main culprits. And the most recent one inclusion, Pyramid Head, has been nothing if not divisive. I believe that exploring killer ideas that haven't been thought of yet, *cough* *cough* Egypt *cough* *cough*, would have a better chance of producing interesting killers than ones that already exist.
3. Literally everything is broken right now
Survivors randomly get iron will, the End Game Collapse can happen at the start of a game, the killer can be phased through when they vault. My point is, the devs really need to stop content updates for a bit so they can add some much needed bug fixes. If you take anything away from this post, take away this:
Dbd has been long overdue for it's variation of Rainbow Six Siege's Operation Health. But ideally a version that actually fixes the game a bit.
In summary:
- Fnaf is not seen as scary by most people due to its reputation, and thus Springtrap wouldn't be taken seriously
- The game has enough licensed characters for the time being, original killers are more interesting
- The devs need to focus on fixing the mountain of bugs in the game and hold off on content updates for a bit, the game can literally end the moment it begins thanks to the End Game, the last thing dbd needs right now is content that brings more bugs
Comments
One reason why Springtrap wouldn't work in DBD: Children.
The problem with point 3 is if the developers were to skip a chapter, a lot of the community would be disappointed.
I don't speak for everyone. But think that the majority of people would be fine with delayed content if it meant the game had some of its many bugs finally fixed.
I would be in support of the same idea R6 has, but I would still be a bit disappointed if we skipped a chapter as I admire the creativity every two-three months.
Ok, not sure why the cheap shot on Pig. She's both an interesting killer to play, and Saw was a big draw for me to the game in the first place. She definitely isn't anywhere near Bubba tier of bad.
Adding to reasons, FNAF is just a poor franchise. It wasn't a unique concept when it was made, scary mascots and animatronics have been in countless things before it. The game itself was so utterly dull, and jumpscares aren't really even jumpscares when they're the entire game, they're just annoying things shrieking on your screen.
Building a whole franchise on something as bland as "jumpscares," with (from what I've seen) a story that just keeps rewriting itself despite never making any sense with previous entries, just doesn't go down well with me as something to be celebrated.
It wasn't a unique concept when it started, it's been ripped off and repeated countless times since, it's not the sort of memorable horror that will be known 10 years from now the way horror icons like Freddy and Myers still are.
BHVR will just add him anyways considering all the furries are gonna ape out and buy him day 1. Even if they're bad, which has been a trend recently.
I love playing Pig sometimes, she's fun to play.
Fnaf does totally rely on the shrieking on the screen which in my opinion, is totally a cheap tactic to use in horror. What I love about DBD is the classic killers (I know demo is in the game and I do love stranger things, but even if it wasn't added I'd still love the game). I'm just glad other people are agreeing that fnaf isn't a good add to dbd.
I'm sure they won't add him.
The fanbase would be torn apart and it would be pretty bad for the game.
Plus fnaf is cringe.Period.
This. At bookstores fnaf books are in the kids section. On Barnes and Noble and Amazon it's recommended for 12 year olds, but reviews say kids as young as 8 are enjoying it because it's not scary. DBD is supposed to be for mature players, adding fnaf would increase the kid player base - which would bring in complaints from the parents groups that don't fully look into a game but buy it if it has a kid thing in it, they like to make complaints when they should've followed ratings. I'm not sure DBD really want to increase child fan base and deal with that.
I mean you could say Ghostface also can't be taken seriously because apart from the first movie the Scream franchise is more of a comedy than a horror. There's also the Scary Movie where he is just a joke of a killer. Yet still, he manages to be one of the scariest killers in dbd. It's not about how scary they are in the original movie/game, it's about how scary they are in dbd.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/168567/springtrap-would-fit-lets-talk/p1?new=1
He cannot be taken seriously
A bunch of teenagers with Pointy rulers are ?
The game does not need more licensed characters right now
Why not it's the point of the game.
Literally everything is broken right now
It always has been.
I just want to say, I'm neither for OR against this. If it happens, cool. If he doesn't get added, cool. If they've been in discussion with Scott and it's Chap 17(HIGHLY doubtful) then, once again, cool. But, ultimately, I do want to state my viewpoint on this whole Springtrap/FNAF chapter "debate" going on and rebuttal a few of your points, with all due respect, of course. Although, I'd be happy with a lot of licensed content atm.
1) I haven't been up to date either with the franchise either but honestly, the original story from the first three are grizzly enough. It deals with multiple child murders, getting crushed to death by suits and having springs pierce through your flesh and then a rotten corpse in a suit to do the same to you. Sounds horror enough to me. Plus, as much as I love ST's, I can admit, it's a bit of everything in terms of genres but the horror is slightly above a Amblim picture. Also, if you look at Springtrap, I think with a bit of realistic tweaking, could fit in quite nicely and be SUPER unique. I also forgot to add, like you said, horror IS about as subjective as it goes. Right up there with comedy.
2) I have and ALWAYS will disagree with this. I love my licensed content and it's all up to the license holders to just how much creativity their allowed to have with both powers and cosmetics. I also disagree with Pig and, now, Bubba. Pig's is incredibly unique with how the bear traps are and because of the rework, Bubba is now FAR more unique then he was. I would like to see more mythology's explored in the future though but, yet, to be 100% honest, the licensed content is really the only stuff that REALLY gets me hyped-up anymore. This is 100% just opinionated though.
3) Bugs and glitches will always be apart of this game, even if they had a operation: health type of deal, it probably just wouldn't matter in the end because, just like R6S, they always come back.
All just a matter of different opinions though.
You're crazy if you think the very minuscule amount of kids who would ever get this game would survive the learning curve.
FNaF has moved beyond just jumpscares, and in my opinion, it never really was "just jumpscares" (there's a reason it still has a following today). It already started to do this by developing a unique lore for fans to figure out, but this change was especially evident in the leap VR. The VR game included remasters of the first 3 games, and instead of making them filled with jumpscares and calling it a day (which they could have easily gotten away with), they decided to put more horror into its atmosphere.
For example, in the remastered version of FNaF 1, you can now see the animatronics stare at you as they walk right outside your door. You can also peek into the hallway, and occasionally see foxy running right at you. In other parts of the game, like the animatronic repair games, you can be face to face with an animatronic, turn around to grab a part, and when you turn back around, they're gone. I can maybe see why you wouldn't like the older games I guess, but the newer games put jumpscares in the back seat. If you haven't seen the VR game, I recommending watching someone play it.
2: I personally don't think there's a defined "limit" on how/ what licensed characters should be in the game. Although, reading what you have to say about other licensed characters, it now becomes more clear why you wouldn't want characters like Springtrap. If Pyramid Head is considered "decisive" (the character himself; not his gameplay mechanics), despite being from arguably the most critically acclaimed video game horror franchise of all time, then I can see why FNaF wouldn't exactly be your favorite. So far atleast, I've been perfectly okay with the licenses that they have, and I wouldn't be against the addition of more.
3: Although I do agree that the devs should spend some time fixing bugs, I highly doubt they're going to stop releasing content any time soon.
I'm not trying to say "You must like FNaF or you're objectively incorrect", and if you don't like it, that's fine. What I am asking to not only you, but to everyone in this thread, is this: Am I giving this game a fair chance? From what I've seen, plenty of people are, but at the same time, many are not. I personally think Springtrap would be an amazing addition. If by any chance you'd want to read more about my opinion, here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/117521/why-a-fnaf-chapter-wouldnt-be-a-bad-idea/p1
I mean do you really think 8 year olds aren't watching stranger things?
I think the devs really need to try to do what R6S did, stop content, fixed a lot of bugs and then came back again.
No joke but that greatly improved R6S from being filled with bugs to have a small amount and makes me think why the devs haven't done that yet.
Yay, another fnaf post. Like we needed more. I hope they never add anything from fnaf.
Compared to most slashers, Ghost Face was the only one where they gave you no room to breathe when he/she chased victims. An agile, stealthy serial killer with an appearance such as that rushing my way would have me take that more seriously than a motorized hunk of metal that wouldn't realistically be fast by any means. Uncanny valley, sure, but that shouldn't be all of its substance.
And BTW, PLEASE do not use his spoof iteration as direct reference to the character, period.
DbD doesn't feel, seem or play like horror anymore though. Survivors aren't scared and Killers aren't very scary anymore. Besides, if you go and read the lore of Springtrap, he's very much a fit. A relentless monster of a man who, in his words, "Always comes back?" What people gotta realize is, the horror of old? Scream, Friday, all that stuff? That doesn't get the people going anymore. The new horror genre is for people younger than us. People who don't know why being a teenager foolin around at a camp is dangerous, or why you gotta stay vigilant in the showers, or why you shouldn't answer the phone after watching a strange tape. The genre has moved on, and if we want this game to survive, maybe it's time to get more modern. Demogorgon was a solid addition, why not an animatronic with a child killing psychopath's soul?
I like licensed DLC.... 👀 I don’t particularly want FNaF but I love seeing licensed content come to the game.
So much I wanna point out but others pretty much got it done. If I was to add anything more it’s that furries are already in the game and also, why is everyone focused on Springtrap? Probably the least scary too me, I’d be more terrified of Balloon boy, especially if he said “Hello?” every time you entered his terror radius.
Big oof. There is already kids on this game as is. This game requires less skill than Fortnite. You should stop while you're behind your ignorance is showing.
Why don't we just add herobrine while we're all wanting FNAF?
Get two terrible additions in one!
Ninja played this game for a solid week and none of his viewers were interested in the game. Also you're confusing difficulty with game knowledge. DBD you have to learn all 20 killers and how to interact with their power, learn over 130 perks, learn all the maps, learn how to run every loop optimally, know when to drop chases or go for saves, handle the extremely toxic fan base, AND dump the money into the game when they have Fortnite which is free and much more appealing to someone of their age. This game may have some kids, but its not kid friendly in any way.
DBD community don't act childish?
I don't care who they add, if their gameplay is good, then i'm fine.
(even then, why would BHVR turn down a huge opportunity to bring in a lot more people to pay more money, even it they are children?)
I'm glad to hear your perspective, and thank you for not trying to turn this into another pointless argument. The later FNAF games have gotten a decent bit scarier (Especially help wanted). But it is unfortunate the reputation FNAF has recieved, although the community has calmed down a lot as of late. I'm not sure why, could be that kids either grew up and got smarter or lost interest and left. And I agree, the devs should absolutely take a break from new content to focus on the game, I'm surprised more people aren't asking for this. Although the licence and bug thing aren't exclusive to springtrap and will eventually solve themselves. I do find the licencing complaints kinda funny considering chapter 17 seems to be licensed.
How can you say its moved on from jump scares when every point you made is about the jump scares. We have jump scares in the hag and myers.
Why would you want children playing a game like this???
To be honest. No red Rank Survivor takes any killer seriously, except the Nurse Spirit and Billy.
Also, i don't really think anyone finds Leatherface scary? I find The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to be more shock value then scare value to be honest.
As a furry I will say no, no I will not go crazy and buy him day 1. if hes good or interesting maybe but Id be sad it wasnt foxy. ;)
It's absolutely incredible how I actually agree with your overall point that Springtrap should not be in the game, but I disagree with almost every sub-point you made.
"Essentially, a week before the Chinese operation was suppose to hit, they cancelled everything and said. "Sorry, game's broke." and that they needed to cancel an entire season in order to fix things. This would have been fine, but the timing could not have been worse and the announcement that there wasn't going to be a Polish map pissed pretty much everyone off as the Polish operation was one people were looking forward to.
What followed was one of the most pathetic excuses at communication I've ever seen from a game company. Multiple times, they would change their philosophy without telling anyone, make drastic changes with less than a weeks notice and release pathetic patches that did nothing to actually fix the game."
But again to bring this around full circle, yeah, I don't think Springtrap should be in the game. But almost everything you said was flat out wrong.
There may be 8 year olds watching, that's the parents decision to let them watch, but it's geared towards adults. In the show there's multiple implied sex scenes and the books are not found in kid sections of the book store. The demographic is largely adult also due to the nostalgia.
Fnaf is geared towards kids so their demographic is largely kids. It's found in children's sections because that is where they grow their fanbase. There's a difference between a franchise targeted to adults that maybe a some kids are watching and a franchise targeted to children that some teens/young adults are still into because they grew up on it.
This is the best worded post I've ever seen covering this topic.
So, idk how old you are, so this may be meaningless, but the setting itself of FNAF is kinda rooted in the fear center of 90's kids. That was it's target demographic. That says nothing of the fanbase, as it ended up being more popular with kids, but still. The only thing, for me, that made it stop being scary was when my frustration exceeded my immersion. The reason people want Springtrap specifically is because it's confirmed that he was the one that was actually commiting murders in the lore of the game.
Also, as a side note, regardless of what you think about MatPat, some of his theories about FNAF were outright confirmed by the creator of the game.
:D
Thanks, I appreciate the praise
Your acting like a baby by telling the devs not to do something that they may or may not want. They made the game, you didn't.
An adult would be able to accept it with open arms, and not whine about it.
If you're talking about why I defended FNaF by saying "its not just jumpscares", that's because it's what OP saw FNaF as, and I wanted to show how that's not the case.
What points did I make about jumpscares being the only scary thing about FNaF? If you're referring to the examples I listed about the VR games, those aren't jumpscares, or atleast not the type of jumpscares that everyone else is referring to. They're not just "boo!" and then its over. They're prolonged moments of fear, intentionally supposed to fill you with dread, more like traditional horror.
I can maybe see an exception with the Foxy example, but even then, the fear in that moment is still more prolonged than a traditional FNaF jumpscare, since its not just a "boo!". It's supposed to be a brief moment that fills you with pressure, but not so brief to where it's a jumpscare. There's nothing "up and in your face", but rather a moment of sharp dread as you're forced to react quickly. I know I over explained it a bit, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.
Yes, FNaF VR has jumpscares, but that's not where its only horror aspects comes from.
EDIT: words
Pyramid Head over Deathslinger any day. BHVR has some really good originals, though I believe some are inspired by licensed killers they don't have the rights to. And yeah, don't pot shot Pig. She's damn fun and pretty good in the right hands.
However, I agree about FnaF. If it comes, just like the anime discussion, I won't be mad about it. I just don't feel like it fits DBD, which now has a roster of classic horror icons. Maybe I'm biased though, since I'm older, and associate FnaF with my kids and their classmates first stumbling upon it.
I need to see original ideas by the devs.
I'd rather have springtrap or any charcter from fnaf and bring a younger audience then have a character from some random anime or manga and brings weebs into this game...
I can understand this but as for the first reason, I mean yeah, he is nowhere comparable to the top slashers in history, but thats mostly because they are older and also they were from movies which more people see than there are people playing videogames, also when you really take a look back at those movies they mostly do jumpscares also for the main scare factor, otherwise they aren't really that scary most of the time they just do really predictable stuff or just stand there watching their next victims, I'm not trying to diss on them though I'm just pointing out that even though they can't be compared on terms of horror, they do have similarities. Fear comes from different places and in some cases they aren't very common fears like the fear of animatronics/manequins, kind of like the fear of clowns (cough cough), so even though most people wouldn't take him seriously, there will be a lot that do, also those that are fans will also.
As for your other two points, if he were to be added at some point, and I'm not saying he will be, but if he were then it wouldn't have to be anytime soon, I don't think anyone want's to see him be for sure the next killer, people just want him to be added at some point, so they can add however many killers they want or fix however many problems (which everyone knows are a lot) the game has, but those that want him in the game just want them to consider it.
If I'm being honest I wouldn't mind seeing him in the game, but if they do it they should do it right.
I don't know if you've noticed but the fanbase of this game is already torn apart right down the middle, between the balance of killers and balance of survivor debates and the debates of swf the fanbase is already like this, adding a killer that not everybody agrees with wont change anything, just look at demo, and it wouldnt surprise me if some people were against some of the other licensed killers. If you ask me whenever something like this happens it's just better to just either debate it without taking shots at the others or just sit back and grab some popcorn and watch as they fight about it
You ask that as if there weren't already children playing this game, adding fnaf wouldn't make that much of a difference especially since it's fanbase isn't exclusively kids, they probably were when it was starting out but not anymore, especially with how dark the games and books have gotten over the past couple of years
I will just adress your first point, because that is all that really matters here. (I agree with 2 and 3, myself.)
Horror is subjective. Hell, one man was able to define a subgenre that inspired this game. I am sure you are familiar with Lovecraft? And the main fear that everything has when put together is... fear of the unknown.
We do not fear the killers in the game. They have no unknowns, and are bound by the rules put in place by the devs on what they can and cannot do.
So by claiming this is a horror game is just... false. It has a horror aesthetic, but it is inherently not scary... at least for most killers. Hag, GF, and Pig can be scary to me, but that is because there is a sense of unknown about them. You don't know where they are. They could be anywhere, and that adds a sense of tension to the match.
Something very similar to FNaF. It is about the tension and the suspense. You cannot fight back, you cant even move, you just have to react to your environment. And when against springtrap, you have no defense in the game. Except distractions and diversions. A sense of dread is in the air when you realize that he hides from the cameras, something no other adversary tries to do in the series.
I don't find Pyramid Head scary. If he was in the context of the original game, maybe. But not here. And he is probably the only killer remotely close to Springtrap in the game atm.
And, moving on to the fanbase, it is true that they used to be kids. But FNaF has been around for 5 years. Many of them (including myself) have grown up into the target demographic of DBD: teens & adults. Sure, some FNaF books might be targeted to kids, but he has built a franchise around the original concept. Which is impressive for one guy to do by himself.
And there's a pile of dirty jokes in most Disney movies that go way over the heads of kids.
Stranger Things is not an 'adult' show that some kids watch, it's a kids show that some adults watch.
Any killer from any of these game franchises would be the cringiest most joke addition to the game ; FNAF, Minecraft, Fortnite.
DBD is supposed to be for mature players? wouldn't know playing matchs they all toxic cry baby that for both killer and survivor side all toxic cry baby i bet fans of FNAF more mature they this player base.
i got in to fnaf find it interesting because i was kid of the 80s so i live with this on my b day
chuck-e-cheese pretty much where the idea fnaf come from most people found them creepy why the games got popular like facing your fears.
Fortnite and Minecraft have absolutely 0 connection to the horror genre. People want FNaF because, well, it does.
For 12 year old kids sure.
Edit* The ones asking for it now are were probably those 12 year old kids back then.