New Rift, Old Complaint

The empty spaces on the free track.

Please fill them with an award.

Seeing you get a message: "CONGRATS, GO GET YOUR RIFT REWARD!"

And then it turns out you get nothing just because you're not paying for the paid track.

It's a jab in my metaphorical heart every single time so far.

I'm certain your economy won't get ruined if you put some BP rewards in there or something, you already give us instant 25k BP per Master Challenges anyway.

Doesn't need to be much, unlike the Master Challenges, going up in the Rift is passive after all, so 10k would be more than fine.

Just something, being met with nothing while the message says you get something sucks.

Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • Just put 150 shards in each free empty space. Wont hurt anyone. Easy fix.

  • It's kind of icky and annoying but that's how Battle Passes get people to buy them. Essentially constantly tempt them with "look at all this cool stuff you would get! Don't you want to be cool like all the cool people with the cool stuff of coolness?"

  • @tippy2k2 said:

    It's kind of icky and annoying but that's how Battle Passes get people to buy them. Essentially constantly tempt them with "look at all this cool stuff you would get! Don't you want to be cool like all the cool people with the cool stuff of coolness?"

    You won't get that stuff, BP or not.

    I know what you mean, but putting BP in the free track wouldn't remove the intentional temptation of the paid track.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1243849#Comment_1243849

    The ironic part is that it has the opposite effect on me.

    I'm more willing to part with my money by supporting a good service that I feel respects me as a customer than one which tries to nickle and dime and manipulate me around every corner.

    Their loss.

    That's fine, i'm more of a: If i like it, i get it.

  • Tome 3 rift has worst rewards in the free track.All I see is emptiness. Tome 2 has actual good rewards in the free track. This is Behaviour starting get more greedy.

  • @JohnNorwich19623 said:

    Tome 3 rift has worst rewards in the free track.All I see is emptiness. Tome 2 has actual good rewards in the free track. This is Behaviour starting get more greedy.

    Aren't most battlepass like that tho? Also isn't it like 10$ plus you get the 10$ back?

  • I thought this today, we are not asking for charms or skins, just 15-20k BP in each empty level, this doesn't prevent people for paying if they want cooler things.

  • idk ive only bought one and working on #3 seems ok to me considering im earning my cells back

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244204#Comment_1244204

    If you feel like grinding another 250 hours to get back your $10. Which, 100 of those hours will be JUST dedicated to getting said $10 back.

    Or y'know, most people make more than that in just 1 hour of work.

    Also, most battle passes actually put the premium currency in the FREE track rather than the paid one.

    You Accidently bring up a good point. Its only $10, people that cry about $10 I cannot sympathize with

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244224#Comment_1244224

    $10 can be a lot of money for a lot of people.

    Money has different value for everyone. $10 may not be a lot of money to you, but for me and a lot of other people, it can be the difference between being able to eat tomorrow or not.

    More specifically I'm not going to buy the premium track, because I think battlepasses are very anti consumer. They are designed to manipulate people to not only spend more money, but to invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game as well, and I refuse to support that, much less so in a game that's not even free to play.

    See we disagree here, I have no problem spending money for skins in all of the game I truly enjoy playing in the long run, that's mostly LoL for me and DbD you see these companies need to have a steady influx of money coming to keep the "game as a service" running with patch and everything. I think battlepass to some extend help with that plus you are granted reward which far exceeds the 10$ if you were to buy individual skins. I've bought a couple of skin full price (1050 auric cell) and now for 10$ I get more skins than 1000 auric cell would ever get me.


    Even if you don't get the whole pass which I probably won't because you know I have to work 😅.

  • @LetsPlayTogether said:

    Just put 150 shards in each free empty space. Wont hurt anyone. Easy fix.

    +1 this idea...

    free reward rift is completely garbage to the previous rift...

    which have a good elephant clown, balloon bag Fengmin....

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244224#Comment_1244224

    $10 can be a lot of money for a lot of people.

    Money has different value for everyone. $10 may not be a lot of money to you, but for me and a lot of other people, it can be the difference between being able to eat tomorrow or not.

    More specifically I'm not going to buy the premium track, because I think battlepasses are very anti consumer. They are designed to manipulate people to not only spend more money, but to invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game as well, and I refuse to support that, much less so in a game that's not even free to play.

    IMPORTANT: Season 2 ended on February 20th, 2018, and the rewards listed below are NO LONGER AVAILABLE if you did not get them already. The current season is Season X. To view the Season X rewards, see: Season X Battle Pass Rewards

    I had to check what he most popular battlepass (the one that actually popularized this thing) and it seems like BHVR are doing the same there's barely anything for free. It kinda makes sense it want you to wheel out 10$ you should check what they have it might explain why BHVR doesn't feel inclined to give too much free stuff anymore.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244224#Comment_1244224

    $10 can be a lot of money for a lot of people.

    Money has different value for everyone. $10 may not be a lot of money to you, but for me and a lot of other people, it can be the difference between being able to eat tomorrow or not.

    More specifically I'm not going to buy the premium track, because I think battlepasses are very anti consumer. They are designed to manipulate people to not only spend more money, but to invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game as well, and I refuse to support that, much less so in a game that's not even free to play.

    Well, can be a lot of money... and I wouldn't compare it with work, when talking about how much time is worth. This is your free time you spend. Or do you really expect BHVR to throw out money like you are their employee?

    And next point: compare the time you need to finish RE3 to the price of the game and look at your gametime in DBD. Regarding the amount of your posts, I think you are active for quite some time. I have 2600 hours in DBD. For RE3 it is like 4€ / h and for DBD I payed like 0,04€ / h. This is a long running game that requires a lot of effort to keep running like that.

    And last one: I needed like 140 hours to finish a rift. And the "100 hours of getting your money back" is normally included (by design) in the time you need to finish the challenges.

  • Should be Shards and Bloodpoints.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244639#Comment_1244639

    I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money, but you shouldn't tell people what to do with their money, either.

    The problem you are thinking of is that you are just thinking of the $10. You do not realize however that it's not the money they're after either -- it's your time. The more time a player invests in the game, the more likely they are to spend money on said game, and the less likely they are to leave.

    As I said, it's a manipulation tactic. A trick. Please tell me how literally tricking and fooling people is "pro consumer" because that would be a first for me.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244658#Comment_1244658

    Just because a game popularized something doesn't mean it was pro-consumer.

    Just look at loot boxes. Overwatch popularized that.

    You know i've played like 200 hours of DbD even before rift was a thing right? I don't like battlepass neither do i like loot box, but i think battlepass are less of a hassle,plus you do get free stuff, you don't have to put in money but don't expect them to hand you skin over skins for free no?

    @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244672#Comment_1244672

    Resident Evil 3 came with Resident Evil Resistance for free -- an A-symmetrical game just like DBD. Which I've been playing the ######### out of and already have over 100 hours in and plan to put in a lot more.

    This comparison really falls flat. Sure, if you want to just compare it to Resident Evil 3, then yeah. But then you're literally ignoring half an entire purchase and a completely different game, which I don't think is really fair.

    Resistance wasn't half bad i think i've put in like 15 hours but the game has too much issue for me,RE3 was great tho just a bit short.


    EDIT: Also you play DbD for the fun you are getting out of it, not for the grind of the battlepass, at least that how i play it.

  • After seeing the minimal rewards available in the free track of this rift, I really am not very motivated to complete rift challenges this time around. I fully understand that you need to incentivize people to pay for the premium track, but aside from a couple cosmetics, the free track has mostly charms which dont appeal to me at all. Just seems a little unbalanced.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244224#Comment_1244224

    $10 can be a lot of money for a lot of people.

    Money has different value for everyone. $10 may not be a lot of money to you, but for me and a lot of other people, it can be the difference between being able to eat tomorrow or not.

    More specifically I'm not going to buy the premium track, because I think battlepasses are very anti consumer. They are designed to manipulate people to not only spend more money, but to invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game as well, and I refuse to support that, much less so in a game that's not even free to play.

    The rift isn't a battle pass. My 9 year old kid comes to me yesterday and said he spent $60 he's been saving up on this stupid game identity v, opening random boxes trying to get some rare stuff that you're supposed to be able to get. He got absolutely nothing beyond trash and is super disappointed. I told him that game is abusing him and its trash and to never spend money on it again. He's disappointed/crushed and ripped off. A $10 dbd rift that is refunded if you finish it is not the same, sorry.

  • @Chicagopimp2019 said:

    After seeing the minimal rewards available in the free track of this rift, I really am not very motivated to complete rift challenges this time around. I fully understand that you need to incentivize people to pay for the premium track, but aside from a couple cosmetics, the free track has mostly charms which dont appeal to me at all. Just seems a little unbalanced.

    Did you see the pizza charm? It's amazing tho

  • I actually do like the pizza charm, but not as much as I like the Legion mask...lol.

  • The Rift could probably be only 50 tiers if they just removed all the useless charms that no one wants from it, or stacked them with other rewards.

  • A little bit of BP or even Shards would be nice and could potentially lead to more sales of the Rift Pass. People will be encouraged to play more to get those Shards or BP meaning they will get further through the Rift and more likely to buy it because they'd get more from it.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244957#Comment_1244957

    That's not how definitions work and you know it.

    You're also blatantly ignoring the fact that the devs themselves called the Rift A BATTLE PASS. They did it in their own surveys when questioning about how the players would "feel about a battle pass coming to Dead by Daylight". This should be the final nail in the coffin that the Rift is in fact, a battle pass.

    I don't even understand why you're even trying to strawman Identity V in this. How Identity V and DBD functions isn't even remotely the same. Does Identity V have a scummy monetization scheme? Sure. Scummier than the Rift even? Perhaps. But the game is also free to play and DBD isn't. And just because one might be scummier than the other, doesn't mean the Rift isn't scummy -- it just means it may be slightly less scummy than the other thing.

    Just because EA tried to label loot boxes as "surprise mechanics" didn't mean that they weren't lootboxes. The same goes for here. Just because Dead by Daylight calls their battle pass "The Rift" in game, doesn't mean it isn't a battle pass.

    • It functions like a battle pass
    • It behaves like a battle pass
    • It progresses like a battle pass
    • It has seasons like a battle pass
    • It has a free track and a paid track like a battle pass

    It's a god damn battle pass.

    Now stop being a bad parent and letting your adolescent child waste his entire savings on loot boxes.

    The rift is, indeed, a battlepass. I agree.

    I also agree with your final sentence. I have a 10-year-old. You know how many Overwatch lootboxes he has purchased in the two years he's played that game with us (the rest of us have been there since Beta). Absolutely zero. You know why? Because they are the ultimate rip-off in video gaming.

    Why in the living hell would this parent allow their 9-year-old to spend $60 on lootboxes? Even more of a question: Why would they publicly admit to it? Perhaps they should be doing less DbD and more parenting.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244957#Comment_1244957

    That's not how definitions work and you know it.

    You're also blatantly ignoring the fact that the devs themselves called the Rift A BATTLE PASS. They did it in their own surveys when questioning about how the players would "feel about a battle pass coming to Dead by Daylight". This should be the final nail in the coffin that the Rift is in fact, a battle pass.

    I don't even understand why you're even trying to strawman Identity V in this. How Identity V and DBD functions isn't even remotely the same. Does Identity V have a scummy monetization scheme? Sure. Scummier than the Rift even? Perhaps. But the game is also free to play and DBD isn't. And just because one might be scummier than the other, doesn't mean the Rift isn't scummy -- it just means it may be slightly less scummy than the other thing.

    Just because EA tried to label loot boxes as "surprise mechanics" didn't mean that they weren't lootboxes. The same goes for here. Just because Dead by Daylight calls their battle pass "The Rift" in game, doesn't mean it isn't a battle pass.

    • It functions like a battle pass
    • It behaves like a battle pass
    • It progresses like a battle pass
    • It has seasons like a battle pass
    • It has a free track and a paid track like a battle pass

    It's a god damn battle pass.

    Now stop being a bad parent and letting your adolescent child waste his entire savings on loot boxes.

    I make over $300k a year so letting my kid blow $60 means jack ######### to me and doesnt make me a bad parent. If you're going to cry about $10, one time, and having to sink time in to them game to complete the rift, to get your $10 back that you can buy every rift with, its pathetic. And since you wanted to get personal and say I'm a bad parent, I say stop being a leech, if you can't find $10 to spare without starving you should probably spend your time doing something more productive than playing video games.

  • @Kilmeran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244981#Comment_1244981

    The rift is, indeed, a battlepass. I agree.

    I also agree with your final sentence. I have a 10-year-old. You know how many Overwatch lootboxes he has purchased in the two years he's played that game with us (the rest of us have been there since Beta). Absolutely zero. You know why? Because they are the ultimate rip-off in video gaming.

    Why in the living hell would this parent allow their 9-year-old to spend $60 on lootboxes? Even more of a question: Why would they publicly admit to it? Perhaps they should be doing less DbD and more parenting.

    Man you guys are quick to attack someone's parenting out of total ignorance, my kid does some acting and probably makes more money than you people crying about $10, hes sort of an amazing kid, part of that is he gets some of that money to spend and he likes to spend money on games. He made a mistake without telling me and it won't happen again, but at least im not raising him to be a freeloader like your guys parents did, that doesn't have a spare $10 (fully refunded btw) to offer 70 days of entertainment. If everyone was as tight with their wallets as you guys there wouldn't be a dbd to play, so you're welcome that I'm covering the expenses for players like you.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1245485#Comment_1245485

    I don't care how much money you have or how much money you or you kid can throw away. He's 9. He should not have the ability to spend money on in app purchases in the first case. He's a child. He physically lacks the mental capacity to understand the psychology behind these schemes. The proof of which is the fact that he blew all of his hard-earned money on a gamble that you could have helped prevent in the first place by either not allowing him to be able to spend his money because of how much mobile games just love to nickle and dime people, or by trying to educate him in the first place before that happened.

    Quit with the "I make more money than you" e-peen attitude and start properly protecting your damn child. I have no doubts that he's an amazing kid -- but he's still a kid and the reality is that he is absolutely a prime target for companies to milk the cash out of. Children are easy to manipulate because their brains have not fully developed yet.

    I'm not a leech. I got gifted this game for my birthday, along with a number of its DLCs. I paid for a couple of those DLCs too if I felt I would enjoy them enough (I regret buying the Ghost Face one because he's broken and his stalk doesn't work half the time).

    I'm not too much of a gamer. I maybe spend $30~40 a year on games and that's a "maybe". I tend to spend most of my time reading and writing, or listening and making music for myself. I enjoy DBD, but I do not have the free time, nor enjoy DBD to the extent that I want to play it everyday to grind for maybe only one or two cosmetics I care about when I would much prefer to spend those $10 to just buy the cosmetic like normal even if I didn't get my money back and skip the 250~300 hour grind.

    Imagine calling someone entitled, because they aren't able to just buy a cosmetic and don't want to have to put a 250~300 hour grind on top of it. The Rift could remove the auric cells from the paid track and I would actually feel more inclined to buy it because 1/3rd of the filler would be gone -- not less inclined.

    But as usual, when people are caught in the corner in an debate they have no candle to, they just go with the personal attacks instead.

    Oh well. You can keep calling me a leech if that makes you feel better. At the very least I'm not a whale nor a sheep.

    So Whats your point? You can't afford it and don't have the time to spend on it, so you're gonna be a hater about it? Just a troll or what? Come to insult peoples parenting and be generally asinine and thats it? Sorry that $10 makes or breaks you. Bhvr clearly wants customers not leeches, and I don't blame them because being in business costs money. If you don't have the time to play this game, don't come cry on this games forums about it. Seems stupid to me.

  • This is intended. They want you to think "oh, I didn't actually get a reward. But I would have if I bought the Pass!"

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1245699#Comment_1245699

    I literally already explained what battle passes are, how they unethical and anti consumer, and why I don't like them. For you to ask "What's your point" means you aren't reading my posts. It shouldn't be hard to figure out. My posts aren't written to be riddles.

    I'm not insulting your parenting by the way. I am criticizing your parenting. There is a difference between the two.

    You seem very hung up on this $10 for some reason by the way, when all I said was that $10 has a lot of different values to a lot of people and for some people like me, it can be the difference between skipping a meal or not. You yourself said you make $300,000 a year, which is a lot less than many many other people make. So I don't know why this fact seems to surprise you to the point that you are hung up on it to the point that you are still trying to strawman it into a personal attack of some sort to the point that you seem actually offended that I don't want to buy a premium track to the game's battle pass for some reason.

    I mean, I don't know where you're trying to go with this, but it's not working mate. Even with the unethical nature of the battle pass aside, I'm not going to buy something that's not worth my time or money. That's just basic common sense. And just like money, people put a different value on their time, and I value my time a lot. Our time on this world is very finite and the last thing I want to do is spend $10 to then have the ability to grind 250~300 hours, especially in this Rift where that would be the recolor of a cosmetic I already own and paid for without the grind. So yes, I am going to spend that $10 on something more worthwhile elsewhere.

    Either way, I don't need to make $300,000 a year. I don't need all of the latest games. I don't need a top tier PC. I just enjoy writing and listening to my music and the wonderful company of friends that I have. That's all I want and that's what I have. I don't ask for anything more.

    One thing I learned when I was very young is that when you don't have a lot of things, you learn to love and get to appreciate what you do have. This was an invaluable lesson to me. Worth more than $10. Worth more than $300,000 even.

    This is probably why I don't fall for the Battle Pass' antics. They all like to go "Oh, look at all of this cool stuff you're missing if you don't pay~" and I'm like "I don't need it. I'll just enjoy what I have instead".

    And my point was that the way dbd is doing it is not unethical. Many games with continuing support like this game has charge a monthly subscription fee. Dbd does it differently, with cheap expansions, optional cosmetics, and an optional rift. The rift is even a one time $10 purchase for life. If you play the game enough to finish it, you may as well get it. If you don't play the game enough to make $10 worth it, you shouldn't buy it. The way that goddamn identity v game is doing it is extremely scummy. They are not the same. Everyone I know that actually plays this game doesn't mind supporting the game with $10, because we enjoy it. You can't even see a 90 minute movie or get a meal for $10.

  • @Ghoste said:

    This is intended. They want you to think "oh, I didn't actually get a reward. But I would have if I bought the Pass!"

    I know it's the point, but it doesn't work on me.

    I liked 1 thing on the last Rift, but i didn't buy a pass for that one either.

  • @joker7997 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1245246#Comment_1245246

    Man you guys are quick to attack someone's parenting out of total ignorance, my kid does some acting and probably makes more money than you people crying about $10, hes sort of an amazing kid, part of that is he gets some of that money to spend and he likes to spend money on games. He made a mistake without telling me and it won't happen again, but at least im not raising him to be a freeloader like your guys parents did, that doesn't have a spare $10 (fully refunded btw) to offer 70 days of entertainment. If everyone was as tight with their wallets as you guys there wouldn't be a dbd to play, so you're welcome that I'm covering the expenses for players like you.

    Do you really want to start comparing bank accounts? My wife makes six-figures by herself as salaried management at Home Depot. I am an author that has had book licenses purchased by Hollywood for slightly over $1 million per book. Still waiting for the goddamn movies to finally get made, but thus is Hollywood.

    Whether or not a mere $60 means jack is not the ethical point, here.

  • Shards and Bloodpoints in the empty space would give me more of a reason to complete the rift. I support this.

  • The shard idea is a great one.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1245954#Comment_1245954

    But it is unethical. I already explained why.

    The only defense you've had on why it's ethical was "Identity V is worse" and "It's $10", which, I'm sorry, that's not how it works.

    It's less unethical than most battle passes, like Smite's, which strongly encourages you to buy the paid track as soon as possible rather than letting you buy it whenever in the season like DBD does, but "is less unethical" isn't the same as "is not unethical".

    Again, I'd prefer to just spend the $10 without having to dedicate 2 months worth of grinding for it with a time limit breathing over my neck or my money goes to waste. I just don't see how that's as ethical as just letting people buy said cosmetics from the store.

    I See, so if they wanted you to pay $80 to unlock all the tiers and not have to play the game thats somehow better than giving people the option of actually playing to earn some stupid cosmetics? You clearly don't want to play this game not sure why you surf this forum.

  • the free side a joke.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244672#Comment_1244672

    Resident Evil 3 came with Resident Evil Resistance for free -- an A-symmetrical game just like DBD. Which I've been playing the ######### out of and already have over 100 hours in and plan to put in a lot more.

    This comparison really falls flat. Sure, if you want to just compare it to Resident Evil 3, then yeah. But then you're literally ignoring half an entire purchase and a completely different game, which I don't think is really fair.

    Well, then take every other game that comes with a single player only... Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake 4... whatever you like. I bet there is more than one game, my argument doesn't falls flat with...

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244672#Comment_1244672

    Resident Evil 3 came with Resident Evil Resistance for free -- an A-symmetrical game just like DBD. Which I've been playing the ######### out of and already have over 100 hours in and plan to put in a lot more.

    This comparison really falls flat. Sure, if you want to just compare it to Resident Evil 3, then yeah. But then you're literally ignoring half an entire purchase and a completely different game, which I don't think is really fair.

    Dude this is sooooo common in this forum. I post 3 paragraphs and you pick one of them and post an answer to an abstract little bit of what I say within it to counter it. What about the general message "you pay third of the total price for games that give you 1% of the playtime"? What about the other 2 paragraphs? Can't counter them so not worth replying to them?

  • @Deadeye said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244818#Comment_1244818

    Dude this is sooooo common in this forum. I post 3 paragraphs and you pick one of them and post an answer to an abstract little bit of what I say within it to counter it. What about the general message "you pay third of the total price for games that give you 1% of the playtime"? What about the other 2 paragraphs? Can't counter them so not worth replying to them?

    I Learned a lesson yday, its best to ignore sairek he just likes to hear himself talk.

  • @Joelwino said:

    The Rift could probably be only 50 tiers if they just removed all the useless charms that no one wants from it, or stacked them with other rewards.

    I KNEW I wasn't the only person who didn't give a damn about the charms! Lol

  • Psychological Manipulation at work folks.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1247693#Comment_1247693

    The amount of single player games I have in my library I can count with a single hand.

    In many of those instances that are single player, I have hundreds of hours in them. Here's an example with Mirror's Edge for example, which only cost me CAD$5:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/269/KY4KA5C7QSPB.png

    Here's 20XX, which I got for only CAD$8.99:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/067/6MRYKLFRY7TB.png

    Here's another game called Aurora Dusk that I bought, that I also got for only $10.99 and is primarily single player:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/641/84B8OIHY4GRB.png

    Secrets of Grindea, cost me only $15. Still getting plenty of hours in it and the game isn't even DONE yet:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/720/BZEVYDFLRTBD.png

    And these are just the games I have on Steam alone. This isn't counting classic multiplayer games I play, such as Phantasy Star Online and Ragnarok Online and Mabinogi (The three of which are the low, low price of "free"). Or the games that I have bought that are multiplayer, I've sunk even more hours into:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/903/KDGIQL2JKZ22.png

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/836/GYXFAORFNXMB.png

    (I got Left 4 Dead 2 for only CAD$5 as well by the way. I think I got my monies worth)

    Besides, just because a game is single player (like Mirror's Edge for example), doesn't mean someone can't enjoy them for hundreds of hours just because they're single player. Trying to decide the value of a purchase is impossible. The value of money as I said is different for everyone. How much someone values a game is also different per person. Most people only have 6~8 hours in Mirror's Edge who completed the game. Then there's people like me who love the game so much that we play it to death or even try to make our own custom maps for the game. Or there's people like me who just really like the Megaman Zero and ZX series that I've played them over and over and over even after a decade, and just still enjoy my time with those games.

    Literally all of the games you quoted (Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc) I do not own, nor have I bought, nor do I think I would even like in the first place (games like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem are definitely do not fit my more casual style. I'm not a 'rockstarring metal death-head gimme death and destruction' type of guy). You're asking me about the value of these games, when I haven't bought any of them. Those games to me even if they were on sale for only $2, I still probably wouldn't buy for myself, because I wouldn't get enjoyment out of them, nor would I play them for very long.

    So if I wouldn't buy 3 games for $2, why would I buy a rift pass, for a few cosmetics, especially this rift pass, which the only cosmetic I would only be interested in is a crappier recolor of a cosmetic I already own, and would have to work meticulously for the next 2 months to even have a chance to get my money's worth?

    Someone else who loves Mirror's Edge to death! It's a shame that because of Catalyst they might not make any more entries into the series, I think that aa actually well done sequel would do really well.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1248279#Comment_1248279

    I've never actually played Catalyst. I really want to, but I don't feel like setting up Origin just to buy it.

    Got really excited when I saw a screenshot of Catalyst on Steam and that EA would be adding some of their games onto Steam that didn't sell so well. Alas, still no Catalyst on Steam yet. :(

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1247873#Comment_1247873

    Um, no?

    I was asked a question and accused of doing something that I did not do. I answered the question, and proved that the accusation was incorrect.

    If you don't like me, fair enough, but don't you start spouting nonsense and rumors about me.

    What exactly did I accuse you? For the value of games, well. No need to argue about that one. I would still say, the games you play over and over again are done developing, nothing happens to that anymore. Other games are being worked on and need income. So not really comparable in my opinion, but fair enough on your point on how much something is worth for individuals.

    Still you didn't react to anything beneath that what I mentioned, just paragraph 2. If that's what you said I accuse you of, you didn't prove I'm wrong

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244224#Comment_1244224

    $10 can be a lot of money for a lot of people.

    Money has different value for everyone. $10 may not be a lot of money to you, but for me and a lot of other people, it can be the difference between being able to eat tomorrow or not.

    More specifically I'm not going to buy the premium track, because I think battlepasses are very anti consumer. They are designed to manipulate people to not only spend more money, but to invest a ridiculous amount of time into a game as well, and I refuse to support that, much less so in a game that's not even free to play.

    While I won't tell you what to do with your money, if you complete the Rift you get your money back, which you can then spend on the next Rift and so on.

    I paid for the first Rift and have not had to pay again since. If you play the game a lot it's worth the investment IMO.

    @Cardgrey said:

    idk ive only bought one and working on #3 seems ok to me considering im earning my cells back

    Yea exactly. I've already completed all the survivor challenges and most of the killer challenges and I'm on tier 10 or so. I could easily get to 15 with the rest, and low 20's by the time the next part comes out.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1245954#Comment_1245954

    But it is unethical. I already explained why.

    The only defense you've had on why it's ethical was "Identity V is worse" and "It's $10", which, I'm sorry, that's not how it works.

    It's less unethical than most battle passes, like Smite's, which strongly encourages you to buy the paid track as soon as possible rather than letting you buy it whenever in the season like DBD does, but "is less unethical" isn't the same as "is not unethical".

    Again, I'd prefer to just spend the $10 without having to dedicate 2 months worth of grinding for it with a time limit breathing over my neck or my money goes to waste. I just don't see how that's as ethical as just letting people buy said cosmetics from the store.

    What is unethical about asking for $10 that allows for the developers to continue support for their product?

    The money has to come from somewhere dude. They can't just keep supporting DBD for free. The acquisition rate of new players isn't enough to sustain the growth of a company of 600+ employees.

    Add up all the content on the Rift and you would easily pay probably $100 or more. Maybe if you had to pay $10 every Rift you'd have a point, but if you play the game a lot you get your money back. It doesn't even take that much time. Rift is open for something like 90 days, there are 70 tiers. You're telling me you can't play enough to do 1 tier a day on just XP alone? That's like 10 games as killer maybe. Aren't you a killer main? It's been 4 days I'm on tier 11 with challenges still left to do, and this from only playing actually 2 days of those 4. ######### if you play for an hour every other day then a few extra hours on weekends you could easily do 10 tiers a week. Which you only need to complete 6 or 7 tiers a week to finish in time.

    Plus you know, you can just pay $70 ($80 the first time) to unlock all the tiers right away. That's what you were asking for right? To just have the option to buy the stuff outright and not commit the time? You can do that.

    I really don't get these complaints. Again, money to pay the developers gotta come from somewhere. And no, the way DBD does it is NO WAY the same as Identity V or other games like that. This is actually very consumer friendly. You have multiple options.

  • it'd be good if they can put iri or bp in them.

  • I think challengues would be very fun if would be RNG and you can select 3 of em and each time you play a match.Each 7 challengues you must do one master challengue.Each 10 match you are allowed to respin and choose a master challengue.That would be really funny and doesnt make people play 400 h being bored.

    You get a challengue each time u play a match

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1249415#Comment_1249415

    I'll get my money back, but I won't get my time back.

    As I said, time is also a valuable commodity. My time is finite, and the last thing I want to do is pay $10 to then have to dedicate the next two months of my schedule solely to DBD or I lose out on the value of my money.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1249437#Comment_1249437

    You must have missed the part where I said I would rather just buy the cosmetics for $10 without having to grind for them, or I would actually be more willing to buy the Rift if they didn't fill 1/3rd of the Rift with filler auric cells and duplicate charms nobody cares about.

    When I tried to do the first Rift (the free track), it took me around 290 hours to do. I completed every challenge but 4 of them, we had 11 extra days on that Rift, and that Rift didn't require me owning any DLC. It also allowed me to play Claudette, the survivor I main, and Trapper, who while not my favorite, I was playing a lot of recently and enjoying him.

    That Rift offered me the best chance pretty much possible, and I still barely completed it despite playing 4 hours a day with an extra 11 day head start.

    Completing the Rift was such a miserable experience that it burnt me out of playing DBD for 3 entire months and has left burn scars that I still feel to this day. I went from playing DBD an hour or two a day to maybe like, 10 hours a month on average since then.

    As I said before, I value both my time and money. Spending 4~5 hours a day playing DBD for the next 2 months is not something I want to do. I have other things I both want and need to do. I cannot dedicate that much free time to DBD and I am not going to burn myself out doing the Rift again until they wake up and fix the ridiculous amount of grind needed. I don't even play 10 games worth of DBD a week anymore.

    Many people do not have time to spend 4 hours a day to a game. Therefore, if they want to complete the rift, throwing more money at it is no longer an "option". It's a necessity. Unless of course, they don't want the cosmetic they were working for anymore. Ah, but that's when the whole "player investment" comes in. People who invested 200 hours and are so close are not very often just going to give up. They'll very likely to put in that extra amount of money in, because they are invested in the Rift. And that's how they get you. And the whole "I could get my money back!" aspect makes people far more likely to try and attempt it because of the possibility while giving the illusion that the system is fair, when in reality, it's designed that the vast majority of people who attempt the Rift do not have the free time to be able to complete it and unfortunately, even with the option of being able to buy the premium track at any time (which I do vastly approve of, by the way), many people still impulse buy the premium track anyways because they want those rewards unlocked and they want them now.

    Hell, I've seen streamers who play this game as their job struggle with completing the Rift on time. The amount of time and grind required is immense.

    I would also be much more inclined to throw cash at them if they actually did things like add a god damn options menu after four years and fix the fifty-dozen bugs that are still present in the game after years despite constantly being reported on. Throwing cosmetics under a shady system that I have to pay for and then work like it's a part time job for, despite purchasing the items in the first place is simply not a very good way to get money from me. The way you get money from me is when you deliver a good, functioning working service and that's not something BHVR has delivered. The game gets more and more broken and unoptimized with each and every patch.

    I'm not going to support a monetization system I despise and I'm not going to support a game that's literally falling apart at the seams and they apparently refuse to try to fix it by adding a basic quality of life feature like a proper options menu which every game in the past two decades has had. I bought Ghost Face and Myers and yet I haven't played them both since dedicated servers went live because their stalking (and Ghost Face's detection) is so broken that it's borderline unplayable the majority of the time and sometimes their power literally does not work.

    Okay then don't buy it. There are PLENTY of cosmetics you can just buy in the store.

    You entire posts reads as someone who is just bitter and looking for something to hate, no other way to say it.

    Saying it took you 290 hours seems like a big stretch. If you are doing challenges it shouldn't take you nearly that long. I played maybe 10 hours so far, did every survivor challenge and most killer challenges. I'm at tier 10, almost to 11. Once I finish up I will be at tier 15 easily. In about 12 hours of playtime. Extrapolate that and you get about 60 hours. Let's be liberal and say I "struggle" with the Rift, so it took 100. Sorry but I can't believe you when you say 290 hours. That is such a massive exaggeration. You are basically saying it took you 4 hours to go up 1 tier. If you are playing killer you should go up 1 tier in about an hour on just XP alone, which is 70 hours, pretty close to my original estimate. This doesn't even factor the boosts from challenges.

    Also pretty much every streamer I've seen outright buys the entire Rift day 1. Puppers, Monto, True, all the big ones do this. So the only way your statement could be true is if they were a little streamer that plays a few hours each week (which probably means that while streaming is their job, playing DBD is not explicitly their job). Because again, it doesn't take THAT long to get everything. I have friends right now that are already around tier 20 on the Rift, they didn't pay for a single thing. Not streamers either, they just play the game a lot.

    If your not playing the game much, why are you here complaining? Obviously the Rift is not for you, it's for the people that dedicate a lot of time to playing the game already. Again you have an entire store full of cosmetics, why do you care about the Rift cosmetics?

    "I'm not going to support a monetization system I despise"

    Then don't. But don't try to ######### on other people's parade either.

    Also your last part about Myers/GF is also a massive exaggeration. They are far from unplayable right now. They have some quirks but as someone that plays GF regularly I can tell you are just blowing smoke.

  • In one of their previous surveys they ask about the rift. It's a shame that this rift hasn't added anything from the survey.

    I don't think it would be hard to implement something like a bloodpoint multipler or shards every few tiers of the rift.

  • @UseTheValve said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1244234#Comment_1244234

    See we disagree here, I have no problem spending money for skins in all of the game I truly enjoy playing in the long run, that's mostly LoL for me and DbD you see these companies need to have a steady influx of money coming to keep the "game as a service" running with patch and everything. I think battlepass to some extend help with that plus you are granted reward which far exceeds the 10$ if you were to buy individual skins. I've bought a couple of skin full price (1050 auric cell) and now for 10$ I get more skins than 1000 auric cell would ever get me.

    Even if you don't get the whole pass which I probably won't because you know I have to work 😅.

    But league is free..

  • League is free and DbD also give you free skin now and you can buy killers and survivors with shard which before you couldn't.

  • Apart from the empty spaces and the over the top grind, I'm not that bothered by DBD's battlepass. I've seen way worse in another game I play.


    The grind is imo the biggest issue. Even if I put all my free time into it I don't think I could even complete it.


    Currently I'm grinding hard, because I desperately want the Kate and Legion cosmetics. If I get far enough into the pass I might buy it.


    I've completed all the challenges already (of this level) and on top of that played a bunch of other matches, yet I'm only at tier 15.


    Last time I got to tier 65, I think? And I even used nearly all of the obtainable auric cells to skip a bunch of levels.


    It just sucks that you're expected to play this game every day for a couple of hours, to complete the pass.


    I hope I get to tier 70 before the pass ends.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1249686#Comment_1249686

    If you are playing killer.

    There are more survivor challenges than killer.

    Survivor queues at the time of Rift 1 could take me anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes (after the first couple weeks anyways, of which then I had been playing killer). For some people on console, survivors queues were taking up over an hour.

    So yes, it took 290 hours to complete the rift, because I'd be lucky to get 3 games in an hour if somebody didn't disconnect immediately causing the game to cancel and restarting the entire process all over again (which happened A LOT) and if somebody didn't rage DC/suicide on first hook which would generally cause the game to end much shorter than it would (which happened A LOT against Spirit and Freddy) and if I didn't die early assuming the earlier two did not happen in the first place anyway which would generally happen when I was attempting to do challenges that I was struggling with, like the flash light challenges, because I've barely ever use them aside if I get unfortunate enough to look them from a chest which usually ends up with me getting slapped with the killer's weapon anyways.

    This isn't even considering the other ######### that could happen. Getting kicked from dedicated servers being stupid, or the killer rage quitting, or my internet/power just going out or getting stuck in a locker causing me to DC -- these didn't happen often, but that's still time efficiency down the drain and more time sat waiting in queue.

    Eventually I said ######### it and started playing killer and just AFKing after I got all of my tiers done in the last two weeks because I wouldn't have made tier 70 otherwise, but when a Rift's grind takes so long to the point that it makes you just not want to play the game, then is that really something I would want to support? Something that burned me out so badly that it made me take an extended hiatus from the game?

    I'll let you figure that one out yourself. I'm sure you can do it.

    If your not playing the game much, why are you here complaining? Obviously the Rift is not for you, it's for the people that dedicate a lot of time to playing the game already. Again you have an entire store full of cosmetics, why do you care about the Rift cosmetics?

    This is an open forum. I am more than welcome to give me opinion or critique on something. I don't need a reason other than that. I simply stated how I felt about the Rift and why. Then other people decided to take my criticisms on the Rift like it was somehow a personal attack or something. The fact that people are way too defensive over my opinion is the proof.

    I already said plenty of times that I do not care about the Rift cosmetics or that I don't like the Rift at all. Just because I do not like it doesn't mean I am barred from speaking about it or having an opinion on it. And as far as I am aware, you also don't need to play a certain amount of hours of the game a week to be allowed to have an opinion, either.

    I was already suspicious about the Rift in the first place and if you really care to look that far back in my post history, then you will see that. I also said however that despite my suspicions, if they nail it, this could be something really, really great for the game, and despite my suspicions, I was also excited about it!

    And in my opinion, they did not nail it.

    I gave the Rift a full complete try anyways despite my suspicions. My suspicions were confirmed true. I gave feedback on my problems with it. I explained what I liked about the Rift (what little there was, but there was still a couple things). I gave my feedback on what I felt was bad about the Rift. I gave my feedback on what I think needs to be changed about the Rift. Not a single one of these things has happened to change the Rift. I can't do anymore than that.

    I'm not shitting on people's parade, I simply stated my opinion. You need to stop taking my criticisms on the Rift as a personal attack. This is like grabbing my face, smacking it across your own face, and then trying to accuse people that I hit you. Stop it.

    And no, I am not blowing smoke about Myers and Ghostface. I am simply relaying my experiences. Again, just because you have a different experience, does not make you right nor me wrong. It means you had a different experiences. But when you keep trying to stalk someone, and it doesn't stalk, and then when you finally can stalk someone, it takes you into tier 3, only to tier you back down to tier 2 without your knowledge, or that you stab someone in tier 3, and you see them go down on the floor, only to disappear and be several meters away injured instead of downed, well, maybe our views on the definition of "working product" differ, but that doesn't seem like he's working as intended to me and I have no interest and playing a killer that's riddled with so many bugs.

    But hey, I guess that's just me being bitter and just wanting to "look for something to hate" eh? Totally no valid criticism here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    You seemed to have missed the point I made that if you play killer you can easily get about 1 tier per hour just on XP. If survivor que times are that bad then play killer. You will get the Rift faster than if you played survivor for challenges just from XP alone. So what if you don't get kills either, play for BP and emblem points. Better than waiting as long as you do for a survivor game. You can basically skip over them if it's necessary.

    "I'm not shitting on people's parade, I simply stated my opinion."

    You are though. You called it a "unethical and anti consumer" which it's not. It's just not the system FOR YOU because you don't want to play the game enough to earn the rewards. Once again there is an entire store full of cosmetics, so why do you even care about earning anything in the Rift? If anything you are getting more BP from challenges regardless of how long it takes you to do them, so you still kind of benefit even if your goal is not to finish the tomes or the Rift.

    Some of your complaints are valid yes, but then you go off on how the system is exploitative which it's not. That's you being bitter.

    Know what I do when a game has a battle pass and I don't play the game enough? I DON'T BUY IT! I also don't sit there and complain I don't get the stuff in the battle pass either. Gears 5 has this whole mess of a system, and I have been playing Gears since 2006. I have over 25k hours across the entire series. I played Gears 5, didn't like it, didn't care for the stuff they offered in the battle passes (operations) and simply walked away from it.

    If you are playing the game as little as you say you are, and NOT paying for the Rift anyway, you shouldn't really be complaining.

‹ 1 2