Remove "HEX:" from Ruin?

Not saying its a flawless idea but... what would be the worst that could happen if ruin didn't have a totem with the new changes? maybe make regression speed to 100% instead of 200% but no totem?

EDIT:

Tbh I didn't actually expect to see so much feedback and I liked some other suggestions that some of you have put in here. Below are the current suggestions that i also think are worth having a look that go into the same line of thought. I hope you don't mind me tagging you btw.

So far, the worst problem would be that comboed with surveilence, a non-hex ruin would be too strong because you would know at all times if a generator started or stopped being made.

Regarding this, yes, i think its a legit concern, but killers would still have to dedicate 2 perk slots to it. to solve this problem, like @TAG and others after him said, surveillance could work only on kicked gens. Just how it happens with other perks that are kick only.

@Ryuhi also said "make it so that if it gets clensed before 1/2/3 gens are completed, it retains its initiial effect with 50% potency. In other words? if the hex dies before it actually gets to be used realistically, it keeps the auto-regression without increasing regression speed."

On a different note @HatCreature suggested having the totems hidden by some objects where survivors would have to waste sometime removing the object to see if the totem is there. I think this is an interesting thought but it would require some major changes.

I'd like to ask you to try to be civil. if you want something to go for the better try to suggest something and not just bash on others' decisions. Devs would probably listen better without so much noise. I have at least double the hours as a survivor than i have as killer, and i have been playing since 2016. I understand the survivor frustration idea towards ruin but i also understand the frustration for killers to be ripped off of ruin so early in game sometimes. On that note, I respect any outcome.

Comments

  • @HatCreature said:

    I think the new Ruin is interesting but like everyone has said, Hexes don't last to the end game.

    I'm not playing the PBT but I'm assuming the Survivors have a notification you're using Ruin so they go look for the totem and then because totems have horrible placements they get destroyed instantly, I frequently spawn on Hex totems despite the amazing line of sight check that ALWAYS WORKS. This is because the old maps were not designed for totems while new maps like Hawkins were created with totems in mind so it was easier to find good spots. I haven't been to the reworked Lery's so I am assuming the new totem spawns are amazing and fun, if not then my previous statement is false.

    If all possible totem spots were covered with leaves or boxes and then Survivors had to move that object to find if a totem is there or not then it would take longer because

    1---they're wasting their time interacting with a fake spot

    2---the amount of fake spots is the strength and outweighs the obvious locations which BHVR can't get away from so this is a win for them 100%

    I'm not saying Ruin shouldn't be a Hex totem but I am saying that no matter what the Devs say, totems are inherently flawed because of their inability to put them in spots that aren't super obvious and in direct line of sight of spawns and near Gens.

    This is a very good idea! However I'd imagine that Bhvr. would put this idea on the infinite back-burner as of right now since there's a lot more pressing demand to buff the weaker killers on the roster lineup.

  • @Bill_I_Am__Overbeck said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976939#Comment_976939

    This is a very good idea! However I'd imagine that Bhvr. would put this idea on the infinite back-burner as of right now since there's a lot more pressing demand to buff the weaker killers on the roster lineup.

    Hopefully Legion is on that list, though I wouldn't be complain if Pig got hers next <3

  • @HatCreature said:

    I think the new Ruin is interesting but like everyone has said, Hexes don't last to the end game.

    I'm not playing the PBT but I'm assuming the Survivors have a notification you're using Ruin so they go look for the totem and then because totems have horrible placements they get destroyed instantly, I frequently spawn on Hex totems despite the amazing line of sight check that ALWAYS WORKS. This is because the old maps were not designed for totems while new maps like Hawkins were created with totems in mind so it was easier to find good spots. I haven't been to the reworked Lery's so I am assuming the new totem spawns are amazing and fun, if not then my previous statement is false.

    If all possible totem spots were covered with leaves or boxes and then Survivors had to move that object to find if a totem is there or not then it would take longer because

    1---they're wasting their time interacting with a fake spot

    2---the amount of fake spots is the strength and outweighs the obvious locations which BHVR can't get away from so this is a win for them 100%

    I'm not saying Ruin shouldn't be a Hex totem but I am saying that no matter what the Devs say, totems are inherently flawed because of their inability to put them in spots that aren't super obvious and in direct line of sight of spawns and near Gens.

    Ngl the fake spots suggestion helps killers and survivors

    But I got a question/idea what if some fake spots injure you to keep people on their toes. Would it be fair?

  • A non-hex ruin with surveillance would be very strong, but as with other perk combos (enduring/fury, nemesis/pwyf) you're using up half your perks for it. It'd require committing to gens and possibly splitting up onto different gens but survivors would manage it imo. If three gens turn yellow and you're already chasing another survivor what can you do then as killer?

  • @Runcore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975410#Comment_975410

    You created "late game" hex and its nonsense. At higher ranks no burning totem survive 3 minutes. When do you realize that creating "late game" hex is useless. Only way to keep that hex is sit on it and dont move.

    like a hex last till late game and the bullshit surveilance excuse is just pathetic, survivors are allowed to stack all the movement speed perks they, be it active or passive. look we know some of the dev team got their feelis hurt and now vent on your customer base, go ahead throw all the sjw participation trophy balance at us, bhvr is beyond repair. all that drives them is the easy money from skins and their arrogance of "knowing" what the customer wants

  • thats a mod, not a dev, mods just babysit the forums and have zero impact on balance decitions, i would love to see our hag main cote live on stage again, and ofc the whole balance team, every single one of them playing a road to rank 1 series.

  • @terumisan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976939#Comment_976939

    Ngl the fake spots suggestion helps killers and survivors

    But I got a question/idea what if some fake spots injure you to keep people on their toes. Would it be fair?

    Not really, I once had an idea where Hex totems would ''defend'' themselves and would injure the Survivor who broke it, it was received very negatively.

    I would suggest maybe inflict a random status effect like Broken or make them scream but then it might feel too much like ''Last Year'' where Fiends trap boxes that explode with gas.

  • @Fleece said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976251#Comment_976251

    Link a clip where he is playing red ranks as a killer please.

    if you want clips, look at the link and click clips. If you want whole matches, you have to follow and check out when he is streaming

  • @Deadeye said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976339#Comment_976339

    if you want clips, look at the link and click clips. If you want whole matches, you have to follow and check out when he is streaming

    I did go to his clips and it was just swf Where's the red rank killer gameplay

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    Maybe Ruin should be based on Dull Totems instead of Hex ones.

    Cleansed all Dull Totems - Ruin is gone. It will motivate Survivors fo something else than Generators.

  • Peanits is not a bad killer or survivor. He's by far the best dev player I've seen on the game.

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    By that logic though where the counter to spine chill? If the killer looks in my general direction from a mile away I know it..so...kind of double standard

  • @immortalls96 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975410#Comment_975410

    By that logic though where the counter to spine chill? If the killer looks in my general direction from a mile away I know it..so...kind of double standard

    Spine Chill always amuses me about that, because there is legit another perk that does the same thing but has more limitations to it. The only reason people use spine chill is an unintended purpose: its supposed to be giving them a bonus WHILE they're being looked at, but instead people use it as a detection perk that doesn't come with a long cooldown like Premonition. Literally just missing the audio queue in exchange for not having any cooldown. absolutely as intended.

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/978458#Comment_978458

    Spine Chill always amuses me about that, because there is legit another perk that does the same thing but has more limitations to it. The only reason people use spine chill is an unintended purpose: its supposed to be giving them a bonus WHILE they're being looked at, but instead people use it as a detection perk that doesn't come with a long cooldown like Premonition. Literally just missing the audio queue in exchange for not having any cooldown. absolutely as intended.

    It also Grant's bonus vault speed which at first seems small but it makes a difference especially with resil

  • Have the killer activate a dull totem when he thinks the time is right. He walks up to it and gets a prompt. Hitting the prompt activates the totem and the effect is applied to the match.

    This makes it a middle-of-the-road hex that’s viable for late-game. Not OP because the effect isn’t active all match and dull totems can be cleansed early. Not a vulnerable hex all game either as it’s safe until activated.

    The ability to choose a safe totem is pretty revolutionary as well.

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    SWFs or any survivors with voice com can tell where the killer is at any time even without the use of OoO without any counter for years.

    The killer need multiple perks and an active playstyle to achieve something mediocre to that.

    What's your point?

  • @immortalls96 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975410#Comment_975410

    By that logic though where the counter to spine chill? If the killer looks in my general direction from a mile away I know it..so...kind of double standard

    Don't you know? Survivor perks don't have to have a counter.


    BHVR's entire balance philosophy is "killers rely on survivor mistakes", then give survivors a million non-counterable perks that fix their mistakes.

  • @ba_tetsuo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/978458#Comment_978458

    Don't you know? Survivor perks don't have to have a counter.

    BHVR's entire balance philosophy is "killers rely on survivor mistakes", then give survivors a million non-counterable perks that fix their mistakes.

    lets make meta survivor perks into hex perks that can be disabled! what could go wrong?

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/978671#Comment_978671

    lets make meta survivor perks into hex perks that can be disabled! what could go wrong?


    Give me Hex: Adrenaline plz

  • @ba_tetsuo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/978458#Comment_978458

    Don't you know? Survivor perks don't have to have a counter.

    BHVR's entire balance philosophy is "killers rely on survivor mistakes", then give survivors a million non-counterable perks that fix their mistakes.

    Hmm


  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    No offense but this just doesn't feel like a good reason. If this is the big 'problem' that's making you reluctant from prying Ruin off of a Totem ability and making it reliable then the solution becomes pretty simple; Nerf Surveillance. It wouldn't even feel like a nerf in the first place because as it is no one currently regresses generators without kicking in the first place unless they use Surge; an already barely used perk from a fairly unpopular killer on top of it. Not to mention that this Ruin/Surveillance synergy is already potentially making Surge an even worse pick on top of it since it doesn't work.

    Ruin is used as early game pressure. But now its being toted as a late game pressure tool when Totem's are usually pretty awful at it. Devour Hope most of the time is a pipe dream than a reality, and even in those games they still often use Ruin on top of it.

    This? https://clips.twitch.tv/CautiousPluckyNostrilPunchTrees

    This is not an end game perk. This is not something that will reliably help pressure. Even worse, with Surveillance by the devs being mentioned repeatedly you're now stuck in a build that when totem explodes consists of a perk you might not have cared otherwise about without said synergy. Its not like this is just a cherry picked clip either; last game I was in was a Bedham where I went into Shack with a generator and the guy's ruin was illuminating god-pallet. That's hardly a hiding place. I hadn't even touched a gen yet to know if ruin was even going before I cleansed it.

    As an fyi, skill disparity is the big problem with ruin. It destroys new people who likely wouldn't even need ruin to win against, and it barely gives enough time against skilled people who can 'power through it'. These people power through it because they hit greats reliably. 44-80 second gens subtracting 2 seconds repeatedly from 1-2 survivors on a gen makes these things pop lightning fast. If you don't want to add time to generator's (and who does, really? M1 simulator is boring) Great's really need to go. Then at least objective times will be sort of similar.

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    The perk is complete garbage then. You can't keep it up long enough for it to get to a point where it might be useful.

  • @HatCreature said:

    I think the new Ruin is interesting but like everyone has said, Hexes don't last to the end game.

    I'm not playing the PBT but I'm assuming the Survivors have a notification you're using Ruin so they go look for the totem and then because totems have horrible placements they get destroyed instantly, I frequently spawn on Hex totems despite the amazing line of sight check that ALWAYS WORKS. This is because the old maps were not designed for totems while new maps like Hawkins were created with totems in mind so it was easier to find good spots. I haven't been to the reworked Lery's so I am assuming the new totem spawns are amazing and fun, if not then my previous statement is false.

    If all possible totem spots were covered with leaves or boxes and then Survivors had to move that object to find if a totem is there or not then it would take longer because

    1---they're wasting their time interacting with a fake spot

    2---the amount of fake spots is the strength and outweighs the obvious locations which BHVR can't get away from so this is a win for them 100%

    I'm not saying Ruin shouldn't be a Hex totem but I am saying that no matter what the Devs say, totems are inherently flawed because of their inability to put them in spots that aren't super obvious and in direct line of sight of spawns and near Gens.

    Survivors don't have a notification for Ruin, but they can find out that you have it if they let go of gen and see it sparking.

  • 1st survivor mistake is beign found what happen then - chase when 3 other generatots beign made.

    -Killer counter for that ? UNINSTAL

    problem solved boys u can go home.

  • @Peanits said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975503#Comment_975503

    Yes, quite frequently. I even stream myself playing it.

    What rank do you play at? Because all these changes seem to be for like rank 12 and below.

  • @Devour_soap3193 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975553#Comment_975553

    What rank do you play at? Because all these changes seem to be for like rank 12 and below.

    To answer your question he is rank 7 and is honestly one of the worst killer i've seen in a long time. My friend who is a survivor main at rank 14 is legit better than him.

    And this is the guy trying to tell us how balance works.

    10/10 good meme

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    I agree if this is about the old ruin yes. The new ruin is easier to skillcheck and easier to progress with. I've just done gens with the new ruin by basically just progressing on to them without cleansing. Comes down to is strength between the new and old ruin and depends on what's happening with ruin when it comes out to the live version.

    Surveillance does work really well with the new ruin if anyone hasn't tried it yet you should. Still I don't think new ruin shouldn't be a hex totem since its weaker now.

  • He doesn’t even play red rank survivor, let alone killer. I don’t know how these guys can be devs on a title like this, and not play and understand the highest ranks.

  • @woolsey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976572#Comment_976572

    He doesn’t even play red rank survivor, let alone killer. I don’t know how these guys can be devs on a title like this, and not play and understand the highest ranks.

    Kinda figured . The way he was talking seemed like he never played red rank killer think this the only game I played where they balance around low level players instead of the high ranking ones makes 0 sense

  • @Runcore said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975410#Comment_975410

    You created "late game" hex and its nonsense. At higher ranks no burning totem survive 3 minutes. When do you realize that creating "late game" hex is useless. Only way to keep that hex is sit on it and dont move.

    So a killer can’t defend their totem? Perks such as thrill of the hunt don’t exist?

    You talk about high rank players, but you didn’t say anything about what a high rank killer would do.

  • So if I want use high risky hex Ruin I should take another risky hex Thrill of the hunt so I have to defend 2 totems instead of 1, that will help so much + wasting another perk slot for another 1 minute of Ruin is not worth. I was trying this tactic and when I got signal that someone is cleansing I run to totem and it was cleansed before I arrived. Its hard to def totems and chase survivors at once. Surivors are not potatoes and go destroy totem when killer go far from it. Def = camping so you suggest to camp totems. What about removing "hex" from Ruin and instead it can take 2 perk slots to counter its power?

  • @deadbyhitbox said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/976328#Comment_976328

    Peanits is not a bad killer or survivor. He's by far the best dev player I've seen on the game.

    Careful you got a bit of dirt on your nose.lol

  • Nay.

    It would make a Surveillance Ruin Combo super OP.

    You would always know where Survivors are. Even if you made it not work with Surveillance, Pop would not work either, because it would be even more OP.

  • @Aura_babyy said:

    Nay.

    It would make a Surveillance Ruin Combo super OP.

    You would always know where Survivors are. Even if you made it not work with Surveillance, Pop would not work either, because it would be even more OP.

    You would only know if survivors didn't commit to gens, and it still won't stop survivors if they spread out. Surveillance + non-hex ruin would probably not slow gens as much as old ruin. Pop wouldn't work at all with it, which is fine because it's also a strong perk and could be used in a different type of gen defence build.

  • Hilarious. Like I said, he is the best dev player that I've personally seen on the game. Funny how without having even really watched him you just assume he's low rank though because he has a different opinion and view of this situation. Gotta love this community.

  • @Peanits said:

    The worst that comes to mind is combining it with Surveillance. Any time a generator is being worked on, I would know. The instant you get off it, I'd know. Normally cleansing Ruin is the only way to counter that, so removing the hex aspect means that the killer always knows where you are and has no counter.

    @Peanits

    How about this : https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/119173/hex-ruin-suggestion-split-effects#latest ?

  • @Zoldyar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/975421#Comment_975421

    So a killer can’t defend their totem? Perks such as thrill of the hunt don’t exist?

    You talk about high rank players, but you didn’t say anything about what a high rank killer would do.

    So your answer to "hex totems can be disabled far too quickly, especially given that most killers have poor map pressure in their kit" to be "Just use up another perk slot bro, what, do you actually NEED 3 perks? Why not just git gud?"

  • Not true you could just run other builds to help speed up for lost regression prove thyself resilience ect. The problem is everyone gets comfortable with a set of perks no one has the itch to actually challenge themselves and I can agree with everyone here at red ranks your totems are garbage they are gone within minutes they never stay devour hope hardly works anymore because of the changes you made so you all need to really look at the community feedback before you think making the right call is just you and only you without us there is no you so you keep that in the back of your head oh by the way the whole time I’ve been writing this about 5 minutes now I’ve been waiting to find a match so you know (PS4)

  • @Ryuhi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/979645#Comment_979645

    So your answer to "hex totems can be disabled far too quickly, especially given that most killers have poor map pressure in their kit" to be "Just use up another perk slot bro, what, do you actually NEED 3 perks? Why not just git gud?"

    ....No

1 2 ›