Homophobic slurs aren’t bannable?!!
Seriously?!? Numerous times I’ve been called numerous homophobic slurs.. yet you don’t ban people for saying them? Yet you can get banned for calling someone trash... this is NOT ok...
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
So you think saying someone is gay is a slur?
Comes for arguements about slurs, stays for arguements about politics
They are, they are using their 12 year old troll "logic" to defend the behavior purely because they are too stupid to see the problem.
Probably use this kinda of language themselves but they dont want to be "bad" people or want you to tell them what to do, even though the reason they do it is specifically to antagonize.
Ironic I know, but these kind of people always show up sadly.
To end it, yeah its weird people dont get banned for this, how hard is it to just ban some words from showing up in the chat? come on Behavior, step your game up.
@Orion I can only assume you are an European. Without getting too political on a video game forum, all I can ask from you is to not be too narrow minded. Don't follow the narrative without hard reasoning. Question both sides of the story. US media in general is well known to be extremely biased towards Democrats so don't take them for facts. Both sides have bad and corrupt politicians but painting them black and white is just feeding to the narrative. Good day!
PS : I'm not a US citizen but someone who follow world politics closely.
I'm generally on the view that whoever finds a bit of insults in online gaming too much to bear, should toughen up. Jesus, it's just words.
BUT. I'd say any kind of abusive language, vulgarities, regardless whether it's homophobic/racist or just general trash talk should result in a warning first, and a (temporary!) ban or other consequences (I'd love to see some of the most obnoxious players' favourite P3 character progress reset... just a suggestion
).
And it's not to protect those who are insulted. Things that are so much worse are going to happen to you. If you can't handle some insults from random keyboard warriors, good luck in RL.
No. It is for the offensive one. Being an ######### is not ok, but if someone's not punished for it, they'll keep being #########. That's just how we are.
Still don't see a point in making a difference between "homophobic" and, umm, "regular" (?) trash talk.
And to your last point, i think some just wanna pretend that its more than it actually is to further their agenda, its already prohibited but everything bad that is a result of your emotonal reaction is up to you, its as simple as that.
If you want to reference other words then list them, otherwise we have to just assume.
Even regardless to that they're words, I don't believe anyone should be banned over any words unless it is actually advocating for violence.
By Terms of Service however, they will be.
I didn't say Democrats were saints; I just said that, to me, the Republicans seem far worse.
Hello @Dinaqma
Let me reassure you, we do ban for communication abuse. We have a team of Associate Community Managers that are working to make this game a safer and nicer place.
If you consult the game rules you can find this clause covering Communication Abuse:
HARASSMENT: COMMUNICATION ABUSE
Insults, intimidation, hateful speech, repeated harassment
In-game report REQUIRED
Your responsibility in the case of communication abuse is to report through the in-game report.
We have access to chat logs and when players are flagged, the cases are investigated.
The escalation process for that offence is 24h / 48h / 1 week / Permanent ban
Note that we do not give any public information on the outcome of the investigations.
the ban idea is a good idea, but to ban for a good reason, death threats, racist posts etc, but if people were banned for swearing....not sure there would be a forum lol but i like the concept
I think an automated system for this would be a bad idea. Context matters, and an automated system can't distinguish between friendly banter using homophobic or racists slurs and homophobes or racists being themselves.
No, that's a horrible idea. You have to understand, throwing some serious insults at each other can be done in a friendly way. Maybe you've never called a friend a cocksucking sack of sht fagot, but many of us have. That's just part of the banter, which can be fun. Often, when I realize I'm playing against people I know from before, we jump into such exchanges and have a good laugh about it.
These are not things you should tell someone you don't know of course. You have to distinguish. Some people can't do that. If some stranger says something like these to you, sure, go ahead, report it. But no algorithm will ever be able to distinguish, or correctly understand the context.
I love using "gay" not so much as a serious insult, but as something lame, stupid, questionable. You know: not something that's completely wrong, just... not quite right.
League of Legends did this. Now their player base intentionally trolls each other by saying stuff that avoids the filter and trying to get somebody who was just playing normally and trying to enjoy the game to get angry enough to cuss at them. Context is more important than anything in these situations, and computers can't detect context yet.
Trust me, if we were nice to each other all the time, it would be horribly boring. Hatred is part of life. A fun part too. You can pretend it's not there but don't go and demand others to hide it only to make you feel better.
And being nice is boring? Really? Hatred is a fun part of life?
Why am I even replying to the likes of you, I wonder
Everything grows in its ideal enviroment, either the kids have been raised badly by #########, or holier-than-thou parents, whose kids are naturally programmed to rebel as teens.
We cannot control all of humanity, its impossible, we can only control our own reactions and MAYBE parents that are close enough.
Honesty is better than pretending. The "fun part" was obviously meant for trolling (hoped you'd get it).
I'd like to point out how easily some people drop "hate speech". Insulting others is not hate speech. The way I see it, the only acceptable definition of hate speech is direct call for violence or crime. Yeah, punish that. However, someone insulting you is very often just to test your boundaries. Nothing to do with hatred, just checking if you can take it. Because if you can, you've earned some respect.
You:
HOMOPHOBIC SLURS AREN’T BANNABLE?!!
Me:
Name an example?
You:
*Names an example *
You again:
*Gets banned *
On paper it sounds good but I still remember that in Rainbow Six Siege if you misstyped "frag" you could instantly get banned. They need to look at context when banning users. If it is used on purpose in an insulting manner of course they should get banned.
So when i say its better for them to report and move on, instead of spending their valuable time and effort on them, its not normalizing it, its just an honest advice how to deal with that. And you might have to toughen up, sure it sucks but so does a predator that gets outclassed by its prey and starves.
Whatever makes someone feel bad is hate speech. And if you insult me only to “test my boundaries” and see if I’m worthy of your respect... oh man, save it.
No, its not. It is not even close to hate speech. What the OP spoke about, yes, that is hate speech. Me hurting your feelings is not hate speech.
Hate Speech definition: abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Please show where that definition states me making you feel bad is hate speech. I was completely with you on nearly all points, but that comment loses you all credibility.
TLDR, hurting someone’s feelings isn’t hate speech but people who abuse these topics in the game don’t just tell you you are gay, they tell you you and your whole family should die because you were born an abomination and that they hope you are raped and brutalized because you were not meant to be.
That is wrong on so many levels. If somebody from a distant country calls me a Slovakian by mistake (I'm from Hungary), and it makes me feel bad, is that hate speech? If somebody voices his/her opinion that I'm hideously ugly, and it makes me feel bad, is that hate speech? If someone has a political view that's very different from mine, so much that it makes me feel bad, is that hate speech?
No. By forming an opinion, any opinion, you risk hurting someone's feelings. And you should. If you make it clear your intent is not malicious, that should not put any relatively stable person off. Again: honesty is much better than sparing the feeling of others at any cost.
That said, I can see the topic is important to you. Let me just say, I'd never actually insult you, even in a way I find funny, exactly because I don't know you. Decent people can learn to distinguish when it's proper and when it's not proper to get involved in a nasty banter. Clearly it's not when talking to people we don't know. And those who don't realize that should be punished to a reasonable measure. But. You also have to realize, there are some communities, subcultures, groups, etc where a certain level of nastiness is an integral part of regular communication. Some of those subcultures are more extreme (if you're a marine, you can't exactly report your drill sergeant to his superiors because he's mean to you...), some others less so, but still accept a bit of trash talk. Gaming is such a world. If you can't take at least some of the trash talk there, it's just not for you.
I'm not saying it makes you less worthy as a person or anything. But you do benefit if you manage to toughen up. I understand it's more difficult to girls/women. But who do you think is happier, someone who emotionally collapses every time when facing a bit of (verbal!) nastiness, or someone who shrugs, returns it in kind and goes about her business like nothing happened?
If you are harrassing someone to the point they feel bad, it is hate speech. That’s what I’m saying. Every case in this and other games where people complain about this is not a “oh dude, you’re black”, you and I both know people go way overboard to the point of making it hate speech.
Hate speech is very specific. What you are talking about is someone being a major prick/douche/jerk/#########/bully (please feel free to add more terms to the list). It is all reportable and should be stopped, I do not disagree. I disagree when you casually toss around a term like hate speech and try to apply it to everything. Being a victim of hate speech, violence and social phobias due to who and what I am, I know what it is. Someone calling you an abomination in an online game is not hate speech, its just being a prick. You lessen the impact of the phrase when you so casually use it however you want.
Dbd has a small team, they are having a good go, but they likely lack the manpower and equipment to find and deal with isolated incidents of these slurs.
While i have a lot of thoughts about this topic, i don't think a video game forum is the place to discuss "hate speech" and the like. Please guys.
I misread your abomination comment. For that I apologize. Your example clearly does fit as hate speech. Completely and totally.
I do stand though with the parts of my statement about the casual use of the term. Hate speech is very specific, and just because someone made you cry, it is not hate speech.
Oh btw, I do know people who were offended or upset because a friend of family member voted for a different candidate in an election. Sadly, it is rather common.
You do have a point...
World's a crappy place, you can choose to be offended by it or not.
This isn't even the tip of the iceberg of being called names and insulted as far as I am concerned.
The amount of people attempting to justify and brush away toxic and abusive behavior is atrocious.
I agree whole heartedly! I also agree that they should just take the end game chat out and if people want to message you personally then they should send a private message. that way you don't have to hurry and leave so you dont see anyone typing in end game chat... I play on ps4 and if i get a crappy message, i send a derpy picture of my cat hahaha XD