Homophobic slurs aren’t bannable?!!
Seriously?!? Numerous times I’ve been called numerous homophobic slurs.. yet you don’t ban people for saying them? Yet you can get banned for calling someone trash... this is NOT ok...
Read THIS post.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Now you're the one playing a victim Chester :P
That’s all I’m trying to say, I’m not saying something shouldn’t be done, but I also think it’s a solution that anyone can get peace of mind from if they just don’t give confrontational individuals the attention they want to use against you. Just because someone else doesn’t have self control, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t as well.
I’m not implying that this problem should be ignored, but I also don’t think toxicity is the worst of this game’s problems right now.
Dude, my "rant"? I posted, like, two comments on Republicans - after someone else brought up politics - both of which put together were shorter than the first paragraph of your comment here.
My post is longer than your two comments because I know how you are, and I’m not going to start some sort of argument with you, I just think it was really too far to bring politics into a gaming problem that has existed for over 10 years now.
Take your screenshots, file a case report, it gets taken care of. The problem gets dealt with. Don’t engage them and give them your anger or get upset, you’re only hurting yourself. Have confidence in who you are and embrace your options, but don’t let someone you’ve never met make you think you should be ashamed of yourself, don’t respond to it, report and move on.
There are better ways to discuss the problem and find a solution without potentially setting someone else off on the forum because you offended them with a mere personal perspective of a political party. That’s all I’m saying. I’m not arguing about this with you. There are better ways to discuss this problem.
EDIT: counted 8 comments pertaining to the political subject. That is indeed enough to be a mini-rant. I’m done replying to you on this thread. I understand your frustration Orion, I really do, but I think it’s Best I leave this topic alone and move on, as I really don’t believe there’s much else productive to be said here in this conversation.
It's the best place for political rants. As long as we keep it civilized, it's interesting to know what the guys I play with think about politics. You say politics is very divisive. I say, with most people, if we actually listen to the other, even in the worst case we can get to that point of "agree to disagree"... and very possibly learn some new perspectives in the process.
have a much higher chance of being solved and the conversation remaining productive.
Just forget about anything "getting solved" on any internet forum. It doesn't happen. But if there are about a dozen well thought over comments before the flames start, it's already worth it. Especially if those comments are from people you disagree with.
One small notion I kind of just realized: if you go to the comments section of some news site, forum or any other place on the web that is devoted specifically to politics, chances are, you'll find a lot of likeminded people, echoing each other's political convictions, ideas, etc. Place like a gaming forum: you can talk to all walks of life, people from different backgrounds, with different beliefs... fun, right?
I say we keep it up until Not_Queen or someone else kicks our arses off.
Plus there is no echo here.
No offense, but speak for yourself. I just want ######### to be held accountable for their actions.
That doesn’t make people ######### unless they go overboard about it knowing it can alter someone else’s peace of mind.
I never said you never said they shouldn't. I said that you should speak for yourself instead of projecting, in your words, your "over sensitive" nature to the entire LGBT community.
The ones using such language are most likely just kids. And since you don't know them its better to apply Hanlons razor and say that these are raised by parents that are, statistically speaking, no full blown neo nazis and simply do not watch what their kids are doing on the internet, which is how they got involved in DBD in the first place (look at Noob3's and you know who's comment section).
Im not accusing you yet of pushing an agenda but you did go full overboard in an almost hysterical way.
I made one comment on the subject of Neo Nazis in this thread. Why are you blowing it out of proportion?
Now, this is totally not including those that intend to be ######### when they understand the lgbt situation fully. Many of those are in these forums and in online games.
That's gay.
However, I'm willing to do it, if only to prove how open minded I am. @ChesterTheMolester , are you game?
Given that its unintended, they may need to learn to differentiate between the two, because emotions don't justify actions, no matter if you are gay or misinterpreted a joke. They are after all responsible for their own behavior.
And I didn't say you felt oppressed. I'm just saying, don't project over-sensitivity to the entire LGBT community.
No, I said Neo Nazis were trying to normalize it.
Correct me if I read your response incorrectly
Indeed. Our point is that you shouldn't project that to the entire LGBT community.
“While I never felt oppressed nor abused in any way because of my sexuality, the whole lgbtqxxx community has suffered greatly and some tend to be over sensitive when it comes to situations where being gay is used as an insult or as something derogatory or negative.”
Is that better now? Tbh, I never felt like I speak for the whole community, forgive my bad wording \o/
Yes, that's better.
W> @ChesterTheMolester said:
Okay, I think I know where the confusion is.
Someone feels offended by a joke and gets mad. Offender doesn’t know he is provoking this.
I said I don’t justify the offender because of his negligence, I also said that instead of getting mad at them I would rather educate them.
And what i've said applies to you too, just because you don't think its funny does not mean they are close minded and ignorant, though im pretty sure you will assume it, which would speak more about your misanthropic mindset than it does about them.
And btw being ignorant is different from being an edge lord.
And don't forget, "educate" sounds rather condescending. It suggests you assume you know better. What if the offender genuinely dislikes a certain type or group of people? Say, gay people, just to stick to the "homophobic" topic. It's quite common that straight people feel deeply disgusted by homosexual activities. Especially men kissing. (Which is gross btw).
How do you propose to "educate" them, considering that, one: it's more of an instinct based reaction, than a clearly articulated moral standpoint. Two: it's VERY difficult and indeed rude to assume, prior to any dialogue, that you know better than the other, that you have the moral high ground? (This question mostly goes to you, @Gorgonia )
There actually are valid arguments that support the view that, say, homosexuality is, to some extent, a morally questionable choice. A lot can be said AGAINST this view as well, and no one should force you to accept any of it. But trying to "educate" someone whose views you don't even know can only come across as smug and it probably kills any chance of reasonable dialogue.
How is educating condescending? Really? You educate customers, you educate people on certain topics, say drugs, safe sex practices. You educate people when you give information on a topic that is usually not discussed. It is not a matter of feeling you know better, it’s a matter of making information available to others whether they agree or not with the topic.
No wrongs are justifiable. We can change the approach depending on the circumstance. You should never stop speaking your mind, that’s how changes happen. The way you speak your mind is what defines it all though. Some people do not understand reason and won’t stop being #########, some others never had the chance nor the challenge to change. I make war with the former (not literally). I sit down and share a coffee with the latter.
But it definitely IS condescending, when it's about moral, religious or personal opinions. If you know a lot about astrology or Korean history and I don't, it's obviously not condescending, and no reason for me to feel insulted if you propose to educate me. However, everyone has some sort of view on the "human experience", life, morality, and so on. Again, suggesting to "educate" someone implies you claim to know better, without even bothering to ask why they feel the way they do. It is a dead end.
There is no thing as universal wrong when it comes to jokes, its highly context related, especially regarding who the audience of the joke is. And if you saw the thread in entirety then you'd know that i said that actual homophobic attacks should be banned so get out of here if you don't even know what the conversation you mixed yourself in is about.
Who> @George_Soros said:
Whoever said educating is about transmitting moral, religious or personal opinions? When you educate you provide information. Educating is not telling you to accept homosexuals because your belief is wrong, it is telling you that homosexuals are not the same as HIV, that babies adopted by homosexual parents don’t magically turn gay, that homosexuality is not a sickness nor a mental disease.
Most branches of christianity and virtually all of islam, for example oppose homosexuality dogmatically because of moral concerns, you may try to educate them but it honestly doesn't matter if they think you are apparenty literally Aids like say Ronny Boi Reagan did. And if you try to any further you inevitably touch the territory of general faith and experience, where what @George_Soros says applies.
Guess what, to many people, including a good amount in the LGBT+ community, "that's gay" is a joke. They take it as a joke. They do not get offended by the joke.
@ChesterTheMolester is one of the less toxic members of this forum. The fact you call him toxic because he does not agree with your point of view is bad form. Your....I mean you're way off base attacking him.
Im not having arguments all the time btw, most are just conversations.
And if getting into arguments is what makes me toxic, you should have a look at track record of @Orion btw.