Please stop.

Stop complaining about the limited time cosmetics. Just, stop.


Do you like the outfits? Buy them.

Do you not like them? Don’t buy them.


It’s so simple.


I logged in was like…cool, Mikaela…Kate…definitely Yun Jin, click..purchase…done. So easy.


Trickster? Nah.

Meg? Can’t stand Meg, but love the cosmetic..so prob yes, before Jan 4th.


So simple.


Why are you all in an uproar? 


I can’t get my frozen Pumpkin coffee year round either, but I’m not spamming their mailbox letting them know. I know soon my peppermint mocha will be gone another year…but here I am…accepting it. Stores are not selling Halloween costumes year round …or Christmas trees…..are you grasping the concept?

If you want it, buy it.

If you do not…move alone.

Why isn’t that the end?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285476#Comment_3285476

    Up until this recently passed Halloween DbD didn't have time-limited sales on cosmetics and once they released cosmetics in the store they were there to stay.

    Time-limited sales are a method (in some opinions scummy) to increase sales on the affected items by inducing FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) in their customers.

    That's not really that bad in and of itself (at least in my opinion) but they are not just applying it to new cosmetics. They are taking old cosmetics that in some cases have already been in the store for years and turning them into time-limited, seasonal items. For example, the ugly sweaters.

    But it's not FOMO....they have specifically said they will be back next year though.

    It's not like other games that do limited time cosmetics that once they are gone they are gone forever. But Heroes does that all the time with their monthly purchase bonus that is only available for that month and once it's gone it's gone forever.

    The only time BHVR has had cosmetics that were out and now gone forever was the Stranger Things cosmetics but that's not on them but Netflix.

  • No. I just keep scrolling because I don't let a company's sales schedule get under my skin.

  • If it were just the new stuff I wouldn't mind it as much, It'd still be kinda scummy but it's new content so it's understandable they want to get as many sales as possible from it

    But padlocking content that's been available at any time for years all of a sudden? What's the point other than pure greed?

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285480#Comment_3285480

    But it's not FOMO....they have specifically said they will be back next year though.

    It's not like other games that do limited time cosmetics that once they are gone they are gone forever. But Heroes does that all the time with their monthly purchase bonus that is only available for that month and once it's gone it's gone forever.

    The only time BHVR has had cosmetics that were out and now gone forever was the Stranger Things cosmetics but that's not on them but Netflix.

    Nah, it's still FOMO. A lot of mobile games actually work like this--whatever it is that is currently on sale has a very high chance of coming back later (up to being certain in some cases), but they still run the limited sale tactics. Because it's not "will it be back ever!", it's "If you don't get it, you're missing out for longer than the human brain is good at handling". A year is a very long unit of time for our primitive, panicky, greedy brains to wrap their head around.

    Plus, bad impulse control and a lack of patience tend to go hand in hand. The people who'd be worst at waiting another year for a chance are therefore the ones who're most susceptible to FOMO in the first place.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285786#Comment_3285786

    Nah, it's still FOMO. A lot of mobile games actually work like this--whatever it is that is currently on sale has a very high chance of coming back later (up to being certain in some cases), but they still run the limited sale tactics. Because it's not "will it be back ever!", it's "If you don't get it, you're missing out for longer than the human brain is good at handling". A year is a very long unit of time for our primitive, panicky, greedy brains to wrap their head around.

    Plus, bad impulse control and a lack of patience tend to go hand in hand. The people who'd be worst at waiting another year for a chance are therefore the ones who're most susceptible to FOMO in the first place.

    Eh I guess my brain isn't wired like that.

  • I think that's part of the problem that leads to so many people not getting why it's a shady tactic. They aren't susceptible to FOMO tactics in general, so to them it's just a matter of "oh, well you could wait anyway, so why does it matter?" Without direct experience of it or a good working knowledge of psychology and marketing (and the psychology involved in marketing in particular), it doesn't seem like anything noteworthy. Sales just seem like something that attracts more customers because things are cheaper--but it's not just about elastic demand like that.

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285613#Comment_3285613

    From another thread, a very detailed explanation why these tactics are "questionable" at best:

    I've been seeing a surprising number of posts defending this kind of practice, while not really grasping what is actually happening with it. FOMO causes an irrational shift in prioritization by directly manipulating the availability of a purchase. This shift is something that your average person is able to maintain a rational perspective regarding, such as "i don't need it that much" or "I can wait for another chance later." The people it is designed to affect, are those with any form of impaired impulse control, or poor budgeting skills. There have been notorious GDC lectures outlining very specifically how to take advantage of these people and try to get as much money as possible out of them, with FOMO being one of the key methods. It is a known business practice that very specifically targets a vulnerable demographic.

    Lets say you are faced with this situation, and have other more important obligations and are unable to make the purchase. A typical mind will think "oh well" and go without, but an affected person will start trying to readjust their budget to make it work, they may borrow money or even forgo financial obligations altogether as the need to commit to the purchase or lose out on it entirely outweighs their otherwise rational budgeting and prioritization. Its actually part of gambling addictions as well, as "the next bet can be the win that offsets all my losses" even after going into debt. It is a very real and well documented psychological effect.

    The worst part is that, again, it has very minimal impact on most people. For many its not about losing the ability to purchase something like an ingame cosmetic, and they may not even see that as financially reasonable as it is. The problem is that it so very specifically preys on those who are vulnerable to the tactic, who are treated as whales (individuals who spend more than the average consumer, to make up for a lack of sales elsewhere) in the process.

    Its an absolute shame how much this kind of practice is not only accepted, but even defended in the industry. There can literally be people bypassing anything from holiday gifts for loved ones to financial responsibilities such as paying their bills just to sell a few more ugly sweater model meshes and textures.

    Thank you! It's so nice to see someone who understands the point of why this practice is such garbage and explain it so well too.

  • But it's just cosmetics.... I mean you absolutely do not need them to play the game. In mobile games they put then "new power crept unit" that you need to stay competitive or in games like AC, a powerful weapon that without it there are things you can't do or would take a long time.

    Cosmetics?... There is no one who needs them. At all.

  • Personally I hope that they start month locking their other seasonal collections too

    I hope anything released in Spring is locked to Spring

    All Fall/Halloween stuff locked to Halloween

    All Summer cosmetics locked to Summer

    And the best part, all of them are auric only from now on


    Maybe then people might realise this kind of thing isn't okay. It's bad enough they release a buggy unfinished mess of a chapter with gamebreaking bugs that won't be fixed until next year but they also have to do stuff like this and act like it's perfectly fine.

    It's ok tho the (un)funny twitter guy is larping as dwight again nothing to see here

  • I think what people really need to consider isn't necessarily WHAT Behaviour are doing here, but WHY. Why is this limited time cosmetic practice only just starting to be added to the game? It doesn't benefit players in any way by making cosmetics less available or to gate them off behind a limited time pay wall. Obviously, it's to capitalise on the FOMO tactic. I'm seeing a fair number of people here saying that if FOMO is a 'you' problem, that they just need to get over it and move on.

    But if it were that simple, the tactic wouldn't work, nobody would buy these limited time cosmetics and BHVR would be disincentivised to continue. In fact, the opposite has happened. We saw this at Halloween and are now seeing it again for the Holidays. Because BHVR are aware that those most vulnerable to this practice, in particular those with gambling problems, budgeting, people with poor impulse control, will continue to fall prey to it., and that it is incredibly difficult to overcome such psychological problems. It's easy to say for these people to just 'not buy' when you don't understand/can't relate to the difficulties they face. Something easy for you might be very hard for them. And this is something that BHVR plans to continue to take advantage of. There is a STRONG REASON why BHVR are implementing FOMO cosmetics, and it isn't to make the game better. Defending this as a result is something I cannot understand.

    Things like this are a very, very slippery slope in terms of how monetised a game can get. If we as a community stay silent on such an issue, we risk more of these 'features' getting added to the game that only serve to make BHVR more money while exploiting vulnerable individuals, not to actually make the game better. I've seen this sort of thing happen to games I used to love like Overwatch and it sucks. I'd rather not let DBD (as much as I to be honest hate playing it) fall into the same money pit.

  • Not for Me or Not for You.

    It may not be beautiful in the way it is done, but it is a legitimate business commercial practice.

    If you want to buy it, buy it. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

    If you don't want it now, wait a year. If you can't wait, buy.


    I don't want to buy skins as fast as possible. I didn't even buy the toilet paper Halloween Dwight yet.


    It's a business point of view... . "It's only for this time period of the year!" I am just saying. (Although it would be more helpful to state that it will be re-released at the same time next year... It would probably sell better if you didn't.)

    Well, I hope that the game will improve with the money paid by those who bought it. Maybe I don't even have the right to expect the game to get better since I didn't buy it, lol.

  • >Stores are not selling Halloween costumes year round

    Look at this scrub who only "dresses up" when THE MAN tells them to

  • I honestly don't understand this "FOMO" mentality. Skins don't have any kind of impact on gameplay. If this was about, for example, a killer stronger than Nurse that would only be available for purchase during a month I would understand it, but skins have literally no impact on how the game is played. Are you guys also buying every new trendy clothes that come out IRL because you think you're "missing out" as well?

  • @LordSturm said:

    I can buy a Halloween costume literally any day of the year. It would be utterly ignorant if you could only buy costumes in October.

    I'm sure I could buy a Christmas tree any time of year too, they're just a "featured item" around Christmas time.

    Not everyone is rich, either; a lot of people don't have the money to simply impulse buy every single skin in the game like you apparently do.

    When the economy is in a big downswing, prices are soaring for everything and anything, it is also christmas time so people with children can't frugely spend on themselves because we have to make this time of year special for kids. I personally bought most of my christmas cosmetics back in early november when I knew my money would not be as tied up. Now because of these stupid changes I won't be able too do that for next year and since they release around christmas I am kind of screwed. Especially since me and my wife have a rule during christmas not to buy anything for our selves.

    Thing is I used auric cells to do that in november. So whats the difference if I buy them with auric cells now or later? Why do they have to leave?

  • Cosmetics don't affect gameplay.

    Cosmetic microtransactions, the act of paying for virtual items that customize certain parts of video games and virtual worlds such as skins that change the appearance of the avatar, are looked upon more favorably in the gaming community than performance-enhancing microtransactions, where one pays for virtual items that enhance the abilities of avatars or speed up the progression of the game. Video game industry spokespeople have adapted this rhetoric and emphasized that the microtransactions in their games are for cosmetic items only with no bearing on gameplay. However, the way players use cosmetic items in games and the way cosmetic items inspire certain game mechanics suggest that their function in games isn’t purely ornamental. Using Fortnite as a case study, I argue that cosmetic items can influence gameplay and that the lucrative aspects of cosmetic microtransactions influence game design. Players use cosmetic items not only to be fashionable, but as tools to fashion their own metagames - games within, around, and outside of games. Game companies know that players care about cosmetic items and avatar customization, and they design their games to make cosmetic items as desirable as possible. Cosmetic microtransactions help us understand that visual design is one of the biggest influences on gameplay and the business of games.


  • @GrimoireWeiss said:

    I honestly don't understand this "FOMO" mentality. Skins don't have any kind of impact on gameplay. If this was about, for example, a killer stronger than Nurse that would only be available for purchase during a month I would understand it, but skins have literally no impact on how the game is played. Are you guys also buying every new trendy clothes that come out IRL because you think you're "missing out" as well?

    Yes, that is how things like FOMO work. If you have any investment in something, even things like cosmetic skins in a video game, then that's an opportunity for marketers to exploit with the idea that this thing is only available for a limited time, so you'd better get it now.

    The amount of "I don't personally get it so I can't accept that it's bad" in this thread is amazing. This isn't rocket science or top secret! It's not a fringe theory! It's well-studied, which is why so many companies use it.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285837#Comment_3285837

    Yes, that is how things like FOMO work. If you have any investment in something, even things like cosmetic skins in a video game, then that's an opportunity for marketers to exploit with the idea that this thing is only available for a limited time, so you'd better get it now.

    The amount of "I don't personally get it so I can't accept that it's bad" in this thread is amazing. This isn't rocket science or top secret! It's not a fringe theory! It's well-studied, which is why so many companies use it.

    that make no sense. You can’t comprehend if you want something, buy it. If not, move on.

    It’s not unreasonable. You can’t buy seasonal things year round in the “real world.” It’s the same. BHVR isn’t responsible for your FOMO.

  • @RoastedGarlic said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285550#Comment_3285550

    When the economy is in a big downswing, prices are soaring for everything and anything, it is also christmas time so people with children can't frugely spend on themselves because we have to make this time of year special for kids. I personally bought most of my christmas cosmetics back in early november when I knew my money would not be as tied up. Now because of these stupid changes I won't be able too do that for next year and since they release around christmas I am kind of screwed. Especially since me and my wife have a rule during christmas not to buy anything for our selves.

    Thing is I used auric cells to do that in november. So whats the difference if I buy them with auric cells now or later? Why do they have to leave?

    I do have children actually, I also knew these skins were going to be released some time ago and that I would want the majority of them, so I also planned accordingly. They never just release new cosmetics, we’re always shown them well ahead of time.

  • Yes you can buy seasonal things year round in the real world.

  • @fake said:

    Not for Me or Not for You.

    It may not be beautiful in the way it is done, but it is a legitimate business commercial practice.

    If you want to buy it, buy it. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

    If you don't want it now, wait a year. If you can't wait, buy.

    I don't want to buy skins as fast as possible. I didn't even buy the toilet paper Halloween Dwight yet.

    It's a business point of view... . "It's only for this time period of the year!" I am just saying. (Although it would be more helpful to state that it will be re-released at the same time next year... It would probably sell better if you didn't.)

    Well, I hope that the game will improve with the money paid by those who bought it. Maybe I don't even have the right to expect the game to get better since I didn't buy it, lol.

    The game is not going to improve, might as well enjoy the new cosmetics.

  • So you can walk into a Target in March and buy a Christmas sweater? No.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285883#Comment_3285883

    I’m not here to make friends, so I don’t really care about that.

    So you can walk into a Target in March and buy a Christmas sweater? No.

    No but you can order it online. Did you forget about Internet? The very thing you're using right now?

  • Ah of course, buying things online isn't real.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285840#Comment_3285840

    I do have children actually, I also knew these skins were going to be released some time ago and that I would want the majority of them, so I also planned accordingly. They never just release new cosmetics, we’re always shown them well ahead of time.

    People did plan accordingly. They held the vote for the Christmas cosmetics months ago. Around the same time, they announced that ALL new non-licensed outfits would be made available for iri shards after 4 weeks. Not (maybe) a year later. Not "excluding collections".

    Many players have been grinding and saving shards with the intent to purchase these outfits based on the announcement, from the official DBD twitter account, that these would be available for shards after a month.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285895#Comment_3285895

    Because I think it’s silly people are crying about FOMO? That’s not a mental health issue, it’s entitlement.

    I've done karate since I was, like, 7. My karate instructor, in the time that I've known him, has gotten married and had kids, two of whom have pretty severe autism, and a trait they both share are that they have very, very poor impulse control (one kid once swore in front of his entire class because he just couldn't contain his excitement and the first impulse was to scream ######### YES at the top of his lungs, absolutely pissing myself when I heard this story). One of them is now in their teens, has a part time job while going through secondary school, and is about to start college next year (couldn't be prouder of him). He's at the stage in his life where he's responsible for most of his own money (parents keep half just to make sure that he doesn't spend everything he has, which is reasonable), and I've been told that he's not allowed anywhere near gatcha games, fortnite, or any other game that capitalises on FOMO because of that poor impulse control, that they've been working on for over a decade with him on literally since he was born. That poor impulse control that he's doing his best with but just can't get on top of.

    Is he weak minded, would you say, because of this? If his parents weren't as good at monitoring what he does online, and he'd fallen into issues because of FOMO tactics, would you still call him entitled, or even his parents, for thinking that these marketing tactics are absolute scum?

    Just so I know where you stand on this issue, truly. Because he's an incredibly strong person, to have battled through what life dealt him and be sitting higher tier papers when even getting into class is an effort for him each day.

    That's not him being weak minded, that's him being vulnerable, and that's why this tactic is so predatory. Because it literally preys upon people like him who haven't had parents like he's got. And if you'd still call him weak, then I dread the day one of your kids comes to you with a mental health issue.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285897#Comment_3285897

    I've done karate since I was, like, 7. My karate instructor, in the time that I've known him, has gotten married and had kids, two of whom have pretty severe autism, and a trait they both share are that they have very, very poor impulse control (one kid once swore in front of his entire class because he just couldn't contain his excitement and the first impulse was to scream ######### YES at the top of his lungs, absolutely pissing myself when I heard this story). One of them is now in their teens, has a part time job while going through secondary school, and is about to start college next year (couldn't be prouder of him). He's at the stage in his life where he's responsible for most of his own money (parents keep half just to make sure that he doesn't spend everything he has, which is reasonable), and I've been told that he's not allowed anywhere near gatcha games, fortnite, or any other game that capitalises on FOMO because of that poor impulse control, that they've been working on for over a decade with him on literally since he was born. That poor impulse control that he's doing his best with but just can't get on top of.

    Is he weak minded, would you say, because of this? If his parents weren't as good at monitoring what he does online, and he'd fallen into issues because of FOMO tactics, would you still call him entitled, or even his parents, for thinking that these marketing tactics are absolute scum?

    Just so I know where you stand on this issue, truly. Because he's an incredibly strong person, to have battled through what life dealt him and be sitting higher tier papers when even getting into class is an effort for him each day.

    That's not him being weak minded, that's him being vulnerable, and that's why this tactic is so predatory. Because it literally preys upon people like him who haven't had parents like he's got. And if you'd still call him weak, then I dread the day one of your kids comes to you with a mental health issue.

    You understand there’s a rare exception, right? This example is a big reach on your part

  • @Halloulle said:

    Personally, I have three issues with it:

    1) Announcing that outfits can be bought for shards after four weeks.... but then making it so that outfits are either not in store for 4 weeks or being somehow except from that announcement. I chalk that up to the notoriously poor communication and expectation management BHVR demonstrates any chance they get. (Srsly, idk how they manage to do that. It's astonishing.)

    2) Having it retroactively affect items in the store.

    3) It being part of business tactics that I frown upon as they target a particularly vulenrable group of people; namely those that have trouble managing money. To those defending these practises: it's not just about some people just having poor impulse control and in a normal world that just so happens to be their problem with sales and limited timed stuff and what not. It's the part where the whole sales strategy is all about taking advantage of them, exploiting them and trying to squeeze as much money out of them as possible, all the while being fully aware of and rejoicing about the vulnerability of these people. In my opinion it's - ethically - not too far off from those people who call elderly people with dementia, telling them their grandchild is in trouble and they need to send x amount of money or else something bad happens - all the while that elderly person can't even remember they don't even have grandchildren.

    This is my problem also. It's not that they're selling cosmetics for money -- it's that they started off by saying, "All of the non-licensed cosmetics will be free from now on, after the first four weeks!" and now they're like, "J/k j/k most of them won't be free." Why even tell people that you're going to make it free if you're not? Just so they can be disappointed? Or (more nefariously) because you want them to pick out the ones they want and get used to the idea of having them, and then suddenly feel pressured to buy them before they disappear?

    I don't get it.

  • @Sally_S_gay_son said:

    I honestly do not understand what's going on, but games like Fortnite literally have item rotation and it changes 24 hours and some items may never appear again and like no one has a meltdown about it, it really is not a big deal at all

    Fortnites a free game with, outside of Save The World (an abandoned campaign mode), no additional purchases that lock you out from playing certain parts of the game. To own everything content wise in the game you need to pay 12 euro-ish.

    Dead by Dayligh is a paid game with many additional purchases that lock you out from playing certain survivors and killers. To own everything content wise in the game you need to pay 202 euro.


    I wouldn't compare the two games.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285907#Comment_3285907

    You understand there’s a rare exception, right? This example is a big reach on your part

    Every rule has an exception, correct.

    That kid is the exception- someone with poor impulse control being effectively monitored online by parents that are trying their best to understand and work with him, not against him. For every one person like that, there are countless others who have poor impulse control for one reason or another that don't have people to stop them, and therefore fall victim to FOMO tactics employed by companies everywhere.

    The reason FOMO works in marketing is because of the most vulnerable. Companies are able to see these people, who are the easiest to part with their money, and it capitalises on that, ensuring that their products are mostly tailored to them (and any additional sales from other consumers is a bonus, too). That's why almost every original outfit since the announcement that original outfits will be available for shards a month after their release has been time-limited- they know the older cosmetics will sell far less and so can take this hit while hyperfixating on marketing to the people that will spend the most.

    From a general microeconomic perspective, the move makes no sense (hence why yesterday I kept going on about it making no sense to do this), but understanding this move from the point of view of a business it makes complete sense to do this.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285907#Comment_3285907

    You understand there’s a rare exception, right? This example is a big reach on your part

    You think the number of mental illnesses that sabotage this one thing is rare? Really?

    Or, in fact, that this matters? FOMO is why gacha games rely on making most of their money from a small fraction of players. The entire concept is to milk the hell out of the most vulnerable part of the playerbase to maximise income, well above what you get from the majority of players. It's a deliberate predation.

  • I genuinely do not see what part of this you're having trouble understanding:

    FOMO isn't the mental health issue.

    FOMO exploits existing mental health issues to make sales.

    The complaints are that it's a change to a sales tactic that targets these people who have legitimate mental health issues! FFS, people with mental health issues play games too.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285907#Comment_3285907

    You understand there’s a rare exception, right? This example is a big reach on your part

    When I got diagnosed with ASD, I was told that roughly 1 out of 10 people have some form of autism. Granted, it's a wide spectrum by definition, but calling it a rare exception is false.

  • Ah, yes, I guess I will just shut and not complain about the fact that they are now removing sixteen year-round cosmetic sets that have been available in the shop for a long time, as well as every ugly sweater, because they feel they can get more sales by using FOMO tactics and preventing people from accessing content that was previously universally available. And this is definitely not concerning at all, seeing how many of these sets aren't even strictly holiday related (like pajamas, open-chest Felix, pig guts Twins, or Jake in a bathrobe), and I have no reason to worry that they'll continue to snip content out of the store on the loosest of reasons.

    Clearly I am just upset for no reason.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285922#Comment_3285922

    Yes. I think the majority of you sound like whiny, entitled children.

    The fact you’re making limited time cosmetics, a “mental health issue”’ being capitalized on, is an insult to people with legitimate mental health issues. If my biggest worry in life was FOMO over DBD LT cosmetics, that’d be a cake walk.

    But it wouldn't be your biggest worry in life- it would be yet another problem to add to the ever-growing list of problems that companies are now targeting you, and others in similar situations to you, because they know you're easier to manipulate into giving them money. The knowledge that that's happening alone can be awful, let alone having it happen to you.

    You don't need to be unaware of these schemes to fall victim, either, which is the worst part. You can be fully aware of what's happening, why it's happening, and yet it will still happen and then you'd regret it instantly afterwards.

    You say entitled, I say vulnerable. Clearly we come from 2 very different walks of life.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    Stop complaining about the limited time cosmetics. Just, stop.

    Do you like the outfits? Buy them.

    Do you not like them? Don’t buy them.

    It’s so simple.

    I logged in was like…cool, Mikaela…Kate…definitely Yun Jin, click..purchase…done. So easy.

    Trickster? Nah.

    Meg? Can’t stand Meg, but love the cosmetic..so prob yes, before Jan 4th.

    So simple.

    Why are you all in an uproar? 

    I can’t get my frozen Pumpkin coffee year round either, but I’m not spamming their mailbox letting them know. I know soon my peppermint mocha will be gone another year…but here I am…accepting it. Stores are not selling Halloween costumes year round …or Christmas trees…..are you grasping the concept?

    If you want it, buy it.

    If you do not…move alone.

    Why isn’t that the end?

    It's a forum, where people can speak their minds, for one. Second, the main point is about BHVR stating at first that said outfits could at first be bought with AC's, then afterwards with Iri Shards. Then they went back on what they stated themselves and made it AC's only, and for a limited time. I reckon you understand that people are going to have questions about that, right?

    For me personally, it comes down to I can not longer take BHVR's words for whatever they're stating now vs. what they're going to say later on. Which is fine, their business model and form of communication, but they've lost me as a paying consumer 🤷‍♀️

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285890#Comment_3285890

    You missed the point. I’m talking about the real world, maybe you should go out in it more, instead of crying about how you have FOMO over cosmetics that will be available to purchase for a whole month still.

    Except this isn't the real world? This is very much the internet. Stores don't stock halloween costumes all year because the cost-benefit to those items taking up display space isn't worth it. There's no such conundrum with an online store.

    Artificial scarcity is not a consumer-friendly practice. And I wouldn't care as much if it was just the new cosmetic run, but now they're grabbing huge swathes of content that used to be available year-round and limiting it because ~exclusivity~, and I see no reason why this will not continue into their other holidays. How can you possibly view that as a good thing? Is there some reason you think that shirtless Felix and pajama Feng should only be accessible in December?

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285892#Comment_3285892

    Except this isn't the real world? This is very much the internet. Stores don't stock halloween costumes all year because the cost-benefit to those items taking up display space isn't worth it. There's no such conundrum with an online store.

    Artificial scarcity is not a consumer-friendly practice. And I wouldn't care as much if it was just the new cosmetic run, but now they're grabbing huge swathes of content that used to be available year-round and limiting it because ~exclusivity~, and I see no reason why this will not continue into their other holidays. How can you possibly view that as a good thing? Is there some reason you think that shirtless Felix and pajama Feng should only be accessible in December?

    No. I don’t agree with what they’re doing as far as all the other cosmetics that have been for sale year round, are now being considered limited.

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285939#Comment_3285939

    No. I don’t agree with what they’re doing as far as all the other cosmetics that have been for sale year round, are now being considered limited.

    Then I'm glad to hear that, but now I don't really understand why you're so against the idea of people complaining, petitioning, or being alarmed by BHVR's shift in policy, given that these two things are heavily related.

  • BHVR execs liked OPs post

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285662#Comment_3285662

    So should we ban commercials for food at dinner time because it targets the vulnerable hungry?

    ...what?

  • @LittleBigSunset said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285628#Comment_3285628

    Thank you! It's so nice to see someone who understands the point of why this practice is such garbage and explain it so well too.

    I wasn't the original poster, @Ryuhi was, but yeah I shared your sentiment so I started trying to let others understand why fighting against this is important

    Yes, it feels like fighting windmills for now but at least we're making noise about it on the forums

  • @drsoontm said:

    It seems pretty obvious isn't it?

    I don't think most of the complainers even understand why they are complaining.

    I smile every time I read "shady tactics". I wonder how many of these "straight arrows" are doing any business with Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Take 2, Bethesda ... all having displayed real anti-consumer, manipulative and down-right scummy tactics.

    If they do, their voice doesn't hold much weight, does it?

    Without mentioning that in any business*, a time-exclusive sale (for any kind of event) is basic commerce. (And also increases the value of the item.)

    *) Which BHVR is.

    Thankfully I dont do business with any of them and stopped playing OW when OW2 came out and revealed all new content besides maps was locked behind pay walls. Many people have boycotted these companies and I'm not sure why you put Bethesda there. AFAIK the only crappy thing they did was release Fallout 76

  • This is easier said than done.

  • Even if you or I don't fall for fomo, Fomo still affects everyone. The gaming industry is notorious for the ridiculous amounts of whales willing to spend anywhere from hundred to thousands of dollars on stuff like cosmetics. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if DBD had a sizable amount of whales, it's why certain survivors get more cosmetics than others. And it's because of this games start introducing these ######### monetization styles just so they can make more money from these types, and now everyone else is forced to deal with it as well.

  • From a per person standpoint, maybe but from a per dollar generated standpoint, it's not true. These vulnerable people are much more likely to overspend and be whales much to their own detriment. Companies are willing to sacrifice sales from normal people and exploit these vulnerable people because they make more money that way.

  • "Please stop justifiably complaining about anti-consumer predatory business practices, just have more money to spend."

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285662#Comment_3285662

    So should we ban commercials for food at dinner time because it targets the vulnerable hungry?

    😂😂😂 Preach 🙌🏻

  • I never really understood why people decide to scream about corporations attempting to nickel and dime their customers, considering that corporations pretty much do not care about what people think about them until people start showing up at their offices with picket signs


    You want them to stop doing scummy stuff? Stop giving them money, hell, boycott their game altogether if you are that committed, wasting your breath by screaming at a company that does something you don't like is about as effective as screaming into the ether

  • @DragonMasterDarren said:

    I never really understood why people decide to scream about corporations attempting to nickel and dime their customers, considering that corporations pretty much do not care about what people think about them until people start showing up at their offices with picket signs

    You want them to stop doing scummy stuff? Stop giving them money, hell, boycott their game altogether if you are that committed, wasting your breath by screaming at a company that does something you don't like is about as effective as screaming into the ether

    Because these types of tactics are designed to very specifically take more money from the people vulnerable to them, specifically to make up for lacking sales elsewhere. You not buying it is still part of the plan, its the ones who can't help themselves buying your share for you.

    Why else would you not just keep the items available at all times, and allow more purchases to be made? Its counterproductive in every way except to squeeze certain people for as much as possible to make up for any other lost sales.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285476#Comment_3285476

    Up until this recently passed Halloween DbD didn't have time-limited sales on cosmetics and once they released cosmetics in the store they were there to stay.

    Time-limited sales are a method (in some opinions scummy) to increase sales on the affected items by inducing FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) in their customers.

    That's not really that bad in and of itself (at least in my opinion) but they are not just applying it to new cosmetics. They are taking old cosmetics that in some cases have already been in the store for years and turning them into time-limited, seasonal items. For example, the ugly sweaters.

    Oh I see! Thanks for explaining.

1 2 3