Please stop.

Stop complaining about the limited time cosmetics. Just, stop.


Do you like the outfits? Buy them.

Do you not like them? Don’t buy them.


It’s so simple.


I logged in was like…cool, Mikaela…Kate…definitely Yun Jin, click..purchase…done. So easy.


Trickster? Nah.

Meg? Can’t stand Meg, but love the cosmetic..so prob yes, before Jan 4th.


So simple.


Why are you all in an uproar? 


I can’t get my frozen Pumpkin coffee year round either, but I’m not spamming their mailbox letting them know. I know soon my peppermint mocha will be gone another year…but here I am…accepting it. Stores are not selling Halloween costumes year round …or Christmas trees…..are you grasping the concept?

If you want it, buy it.

If you do not…move alone.

Why isn’t that the end?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285802#Comment_3285802

    I think that's part of the problem that leads to so many people not getting why it's a shady tactic. They aren't susceptible to FOMO tactics in general, so to them it's just a matter of "oh, well you could wait anyway, so why does it matter?" Without direct experience of it or a good working knowledge of psychology and marketing (and the psychology involved in marketing in particular), it doesn't seem like anything noteworthy. Sales just seem like something that attracts more customers because things are cheaper--but it's not just about elastic demand like that.

    That's the thing I do understand but only when there IS something to lose as in once it's gone it's gone forever if BHVR was doing that ibwould agree with the shady biasness tactics....but when they specifically said that the cosmetics are coming back next year then to me it's not FOMO or underhanded.

    With that being said it's a buy now or just wait til it comes back around. We don't know how the prices will change or if shards will be a option but a company needs to make money either buy selling new copies of a game, expansions, dlc, or cosmetics so we shouldn't expect EVERYTHING to be made to use shards.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285805#Comment_3285805

    That's the thing I do understand but only when there IS something to lose as in once it's gone it's gone forever if BHVR was doing that ibwould agree with the shady biasness tactics....but when they specifically said that the cosmetics are coming back next year then to me it's not FOMO or underhanded.

    With that being said it's a buy now or just wait til it comes back around. We don't know how the prices will change or if shards will be a option but a company needs to make money either buy selling new copies of a game, expansions, dlc, or cosmetics so we shouldn't expect EVERYTHING to be made to use shards.

    I'm fine with not everything being available with shards.

    But paying with auria cells should be a privilege that removes constraints of grinding enough shards to buy the same cosmetic.

    That privilege is gone since you will have to wait a whole year now. Does it makes you want to spend money like this? I don't think so.

  • @BarnesFlam said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286336#Comment_3286336

    I'm fine with not everything being available with shards.

    But paying with auria cells should be a privilege that removes constraints of grinding enough shards to buy the same cosmetic.

    That privilege is gone since you will have to wait a whole year now. Does it makes you want to spend money like this? I don't think so.

    No not really because again they will be available next year and paying with real money or in-game makes no difference and shouldn't give any time of advantage if using cells or shards

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285878#Comment_3285878

    You seem unable to comprehend that not everyone's brain works like yours and think that all people have to do is say no and the problem will go away. Some people can't say no and the sales tactics are proven to increase sales.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285910#Comment_3285910

    From a per person standpoint, maybe but from a per dollar generated standpoint, it's not true. These vulnerable people are much more likely to overspend and be whales much to their own detriment. Companies are willing to sacrifice sales from normal people and exploit these vulnerable people because they make more money that way.

    I am surprised this thread is still going. You're basically telling us to shut up and demeaning anyone who disagrees with you. The only reason this thread hasn't been crushed like a bug and you haven't been hit with a warning is because you only tell people they sound like idiots or whiny, entitled children instead of just calling people that.

    Please stop.


    I don’t feel it’s a matter of thinking like me, I feel that this is being blown way out of proportion.


    “well some people have kids…” cool me too.

    “well from a psychological standpoint” cool, went to college for psychology, still stand by my opinion.

    “but even though you can’t buy stuff it on stores, you can order seasonal stuff online all year”

    Blah blah blah


    Some things are actually worth complaining about related to cosmetics. How about the amount of auric cells one outfit costs? I think that’s something worth being more upset about.


    We don’t always get what we want. I kind of wanted toilet paper Dwight..it was cool and unique and funny. But I don’t like Dwights and don’t even play him. Do I regret not getting it? A little. Will I get it next year? Large possibility.


    Is it BHVR’s problem I didn’t prioritize buying it? No. I knew it was going away and even had the auric cells sitting right there. Ah, but I knew I would want the Christmas collection more and didn’t want to waste them on Dwight.

    Planned ahead.

    So…like I said. It really is simple…buy it or don’t.

  • Hungry people are vulnerable. Commercials shouldn't air around dinner time because it preys on a vulnerable demographic. KFC should be ashamed of themselves for such shady business practices, right?

  • @MeanieDeeny said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285840#Comment_3285840

    I do have children actually, I also knew these skins were going to be released some time ago and that I would want the majority of them, so I also planned accordingly. They never just release new cosmetics, we’re always shown them well ahead of time.

    I've been watching this thread from afar wondering how such a lame topic could blow up so much but seeing you make so many posts being pointlessly disparaging and inflammatory towards people in an Internet thread about fancy pixels in a video game.

  • @LiveBritishReaction said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285882#Comment_3285882

    I've been watching this thread from afar wondering how such a lame topic could blow up so much but seeing you make so many posts being pointlessly disparaging and inflammatory towards people in an Internet thread about fancy pixels in a video game, I just wanna pop in and say that if you have kids maybe you should be taking care of said kids instead of spending all this time acting like one yourself on the Internet.

    So should everyone who is posting on forums that has kids also stop? Maybe we shouldn’t play dbd at all? Because parents should never do anything except stare at their children. It takes all of two seconds to respond to an idiotic post such as this. They do things like nap….or go to school if they’re older.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286416#Comment_3286416

    Honestly I don't care either way about the sales tactics of these companies because I am unaffected. In fact I haven't given BHVR a cent since June 2021.

    But I do respect the opinions and conditions of other people on this issue and respect their right to speak their objections. I respect your right to tell us all to "please stop" as well, but it's not going to happen. It appears to have had the exact opposite effect.

    If you're going to say that they sound like "idiots" or "whiny children" for raising legitimate concerns then they could be considered justified in calling you something like a "brainwashed company shill." But they won't because they are more eloquent than you are.

    People > Profit

    How are they legitimate concerns? Please explain.

  • I've done enough explaining.

    How about you explain how the concerns from the posters below are illegitimate.

    @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285613#Comment_3285613

    From another thread, a very detailed explanation why these tactics are "questionable" at best:

    I've been seeing a surprising number of posts defending this kind of practice, while not really grasping what is actually happening with it. FOMO causes an irrational shift in prioritization by directly manipulating the availability of a purchase. This shift is something that your average person is able to maintain a rational perspective regarding, such as "i don't need it that much" or "I can wait for another chance later." The people it is designed to affect, are those with any form of impaired impulse control, or poor budgeting skills. There have been notorious GDC lectures outlining very specifically how to take advantage of these people and try to get as much money as possible out of them, with FOMO being one of the key methods. It is a known business practice that very specifically targets a vulnerable demographic.

    Lets say you are faced with this situation, and have other more important obligations and are unable to make the purchase. A typical mind will think "oh well" and go without, but an affected person will start trying to readjust their budget to make it work, they may borrow money or even forgo financial obligations altogether as the need to commit to the purchase or lose out on it entirely outweighs their otherwise rational budgeting and prioritization. Its actually part of gambling addictions as well, as "the next bet can be the win that offsets all my losses" even after going into debt. It is a very real and well documented psychological effect.

    The worst part is that, again, it has very minimal impact on most people. For many its not about losing the ability to purchase something like an ingame cosmetic, and they may not even see that as financially reasonable as it is. The problem is that it so very specifically preys on those who are vulnerable to the tactic, who are treated as whales (individuals who spend more than the average consumer, to make up for a lack of sales elsewhere) in the process.

    Its an absolute shame how much this kind of practice is not only accepted, but even defended in the industry. There can literally be people bypassing anything from holiday gifts for loved ones to financial responsibilities such as paying their bills just to sell a few more ugly sweater model meshes and textures.

    @Halloulle said:

    Personally, I have three issues with it:

    1) Announcing that outfits can be bought for shards after four weeks.... but then making it so that outfits are either not in store for 4 weeks or being somehow except from that announcement. I chalk that up to the notoriously poor communication and expectation management BHVR demonstrates any chance they get. (Srsly, idk how they manage to do that. It's astonishing.)

    2) Having it retroactively affect items in the store.

    3) It being part of business tactics that I frown upon as they target a particularly vulenrable group of people; namely those that have trouble managing money. To those defending these practises: it's not just about some people just having poor impulse control and in a normal world that just so happens to be their problem with sales and limited timed stuff and what not. It's the part where the whole sales strategy is all about taking advantage of them, exploiting them and trying to squeeze as much money out of them as possible, all the while being fully aware of and rejoicing about the vulnerability of these people. In my opinion it's - ethically - not too far off from those people who call elderly people with dementia, telling them their grandchild is in trouble and they need to send x amount of money or else something bad happens - all the while that elderly person can't even remember they don't even have grandchildren.

    @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285760#Comment_3285760

    FOMO as a marketing tactic is morally questionable and specifically targeted at the vulnerable. Which, I should point out, does not just mean 'completely normal but with poor impulse control'; I mean that bad impulse control is part of a lot of mental illnesses (and, of course, can wind up in a lot of coping mechanisms for more!)

    And if you think that it doesn't concern you when companies start doing things like this and it only matters to the people who're affected, then you're both being far more selfish than the people actually complaining, and really hope your mental health never takes any sort of downturn.

    I really don't know how else to explain 'you should care about other people', though. It's not hard. This is a tactic that will hurt people. Maybe only a few people, who knows what DBD's player base is like. But it's going to hurt some people, and that's... fine to you, because it's a business tactic? ok.

    @LittleBigSunset said:

    I think what people really need to consider isn't necessarily WHAT Behaviour are doing here, but WHY. Why is this limited time cosmetic practice only just starting to be added to the game? It doesn't benefit players in any way by making cosmetics less available or to gate them off behind a limited time pay wall. Obviously, it's to capitalise on the FOMO tactic. I'm seeing a fair number of people here saying that if FOMO is a 'you' problem, that they just need to get over it and move on.

    But if it were that simple, the tactic wouldn't work, nobody would buy these limited time cosmetics and BHVR would be disincentivised to continue. In fact, the opposite has happened. We saw this at Halloween and are now seeing it again for the Holidays. Because BHVR are aware that those most vulnerable to this practice, in particular those with gambling problems, budgeting, people with poor impulse control, will continue to fall prey to it., and that it is incredibly difficult to overcome such psychological problems. It's easy to say for these people to just 'not buy' when you don't understand/can't relate to the difficulties they face. Something easy for you might be very hard for them. And this is something that BHVR plans to continue to take advantage of. There is a STRONG REASON why BHVR are implementing FOMO cosmetics, and it isn't to make the game better. Defending this as a result is something I cannot understand.

    Things like this are a very, very slippery slope in terms of how monetised a game can get. If we as a community stay silent on such an issue, we risk more of these 'features' getting added to the game that only serve to make BHVR more money while exploiting vulnerable individuals, not to actually make the game better. I've seen this sort of thing happen to games I used to love like Overwatch and it sucks. I'd rather not let DBD (as much as I to be honest hate playing it) fall into the same money pit.

    Preying on the vulnerable to increase profits is clearly a legitimate concern, at least in my opinion.

    You think it "really is simple…buy it or don’t" but for some people it isn't.

  • @ByeByeQ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286507#Comment_3286507

    I've done enough explaining.

    How about you explain how the concerns from the posters below are illegitimate.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285628#Comment_3285628

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285701#Comment_3285701

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285778#Comment_3285778

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285821#Comment_3285821

    Preying on the vulnerable to increase profits is clearly a legitimate concern, at least in my opinion.

    You think it "really is simple…buy it or don’t" but for some people it isn't.

    I can agree with the fact that announcing outfits will be available for shards four weeks after release and then pulling them four weeks after, is in bad taste, a bit shady and disappointing….but, I can also understand Holiday cosmetics being limited.

  • Yeah, having the seasonal skins only be available during those seasons isnt that big of a deal. Bhvr making the seasonal skins that have been purchasable all year long to only be available during those seasons isnt a big deal.

    It is understandable people would be super at this change. There isnt a reason to change this at all when it wasn't already like that.

    I don't agree with the new Christmas skins being exempt from the shards change nor the pajama skins being changed to limited time however.

    Im not going to say fomo, but it is a very weird situation.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286603#Comment_3286603

    You've taken this argument to such an extreme that it's ceased to be logical, but nevertheless, at that point it's substantially closer to a failing in the greater systems of government and late stage capitalism as a whole than the fault of a single company creating an advertisement, because if they were able to afford to eat then this situation wouldn't arise.

    Unlike a digital skin, which is a luxury good, food and other such things necessary for survival are, well, necessities, and in the mixed economy many countries claim to have it's then the role of the government to supply those necessities to those who don't have them.

    And yet fomo works on these digital goods because it convinces those with poor impulse control that they need it, tricking their brain into believing that that is the ultimate necessity over any other including food, water, and shelter, which are the 3 key stones to survival.

    So, again, you've taken the argument well beyond it's logical extreme, and that's why your argument therefore doesn't work in comparison.

    I stopped reading at "late stage capitalism". The rest of that paragraph just turned into socialist drivel.


    @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286603#Comment_3286603

    Sure, go to your doctor or psychiatrist and tell them you're hungry and if they have a cure or treatment for that

    FFS some people

    Yes, they can medically advise you eat food. Which would solve the hunger issue.


    It really is that simple. If you think it is more complicated than that, it's sad.

    @BarnesFlam said:

    You would think you should see way more empathy on those forums, but nooooo

    Empathy is for colorblind mode, and people that were suffering serious eye strain from flashlight clicking macros, and the Light in the Fog event.


    Not "Awwww, my digital clothes are going away!"

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286608#Comment_3286608

    I stopped reading at "late stage capitalism". The rest of that paragraph just turned into socialist drivel.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286617#Comment_3286617

    Yes, they can medically advise you eat food. Which would solve the hunger issue.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286629#Comment_3286629

    It really is that simple. If you think it is more complicated than that, it's sad.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286644#Comment_3286644

    Empathy is for colorblind mode, and people that were suffering serious eye strain from flashlight clicking macros, and the Light in the Fog event.

    Not "Awwww, my digital clothes are going away!"

    "Eat if you're starving" is medical advice now, great.

    You touched the bottom of the barrel, no need to start digging.

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286674#Comment_3286674

    "Eat if you're starving" is medical advice now, great.

    You touched the bottom of the barrel, no need to start digging.

    Inability to do it does not make it untrue.


    This whole thing is people taking things to an extreme.


    Do you get THIS mad when the McRib goes away? When a coupon for fabric softener expires?

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286608#Comment_3286608

    I stopped reading at "late stage capitalism". The rest of that paragraph just turned into socialist drivel.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286617#Comment_3286617

    Yes, they can medically advise you eat food. Which would solve the hunger issue.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286629#Comment_3286629

    It really is that simple. If you think it is more complicated than that, it's sad.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286644#Comment_3286644

    Empathy is for colorblind mode, and people that were suffering serious eye strain from flashlight clicking macros, and the Light in the Fog event.

    Not "Awwww, my digital clothes are going away!"

    The reason that you're wrong about it just being 'that simple' is because you are, like way too many people, fixated on the what is being sold. Doesn't matter if it's digital pictures, random seasonal food items, clothes on sale, or limited edition whatevers; it's preying on a particular type of person. Digital sales are actually worse, because it's 100% artificial scarcity: once the item is created, there's never a cost to having it available indefinitely.

    And the counterargument of 'but it doesn't work on me' is kind of sad, because it means you're just dismissing both the experiences of anyone else and any knowledge of marketing.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286674#Comment_3286674

    The reason that you're wrong about it just being 'that simple' is because you are, like way too many people, fixated on the what is being sold. Doesn't matter if it's digital pictures, random seasonal food items, clothes on sale, or limited edition whatevers; it's preying on a particular type of person. Digital sales are actually worse, because it's 100% artificial scarcity: once the item is created, there's never a cost to having it available indefinitely.

    And the counterargument of 'but it doesn't work on me' is kind of sad, because it means you're just dismissing both the experiences of anyone else and any knowledge of marketing.

    If you are so weak that you are willing to starve and/or fail to pay rent then you have problems deeper than trying to fault a video game company over.

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286712#Comment_3286712

    Inability to do it does not make it untrue.

    This whole thing is people taking things to an extreme.

    Do you get THIS mad when the McRib goes away? When a coupon for fabric softener expires?

    Do you get THIS mad when the McRib goes away? When a coupon for fabric softener expires?

    When the McRib goes away I'm a bit puzzled, but the McRib has a cost associated to it being offered 100% of the time: McDonalds has to store the meat it uses to make that bun, and if that meat is not used after a while it goes bad an McDonalds has to throw it away. Maybe the McRib wouldn't sell so well if it was available all year round and they'd need to throw away too much meat, losing too much in the process. (And that was actually most likely the case, if you check the McRib history)

    Discounts are a totally different thing, BHVR has them on outfits and noone is complaining about it.

  • The only one that I plan to buy is Trapper and Trickster.

    The others? Not so much.

  • @WesCravenFan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286727#Comment_3286727

    If you are so weak that you are willing to starve and/or fail to pay rent then you have problems deeper than trying to fault a video game company over.

    Aside from deciding that everyone with any mental illness impairing their impulse control is weak, that is completely missing the point that's made.

    BHVR is changing its sales tactics not to target the widest possible customer base, it's going the same limited-time-only-exclusive-deal-real-money-now tactic that mobile games use to push content. It doesn't work on most people, and you lose out on sales from a lot of people because of the exclusivity. But, the people it's targeting towards make up for it in volume.

    It's a model that exists to squeeze as much money from a small group as possible, a group that is disproportionately weighted towards mental illness that is susceptible to this.

    And what really makes it a scummy business practice is that this hasn't been DbD's model for the past 6 years. So, people who weren't being targeted by this game like they are by so many others are now being preyed on by BHVR. That's why it's dodgy. That's why people are complaining.

    it's not that far off saying that pensioners starting to show signs of dementia who get scammed of all their savings by high-pressure sales and con artists are at fault. You're blaming the targets for being picked.

    (Also, I don't even buy cosmetics; it doesn't directly affect me. I just hate the tactic for these reasons.)

  • I was mad about this during the Halloween event, so I decided to "vote with my wallet" and buy Cheryl's Princess Heart set because that one isn't part of a time-limited collection.

    I wanted to show BHVR that I'm willing to buy cosmetics on things that matter to me, I want to support that company, those people, those artists and devs (and others that I'm clearly forgetting).

    One month later, what did I learn? That every collection is susceptible to be put into those imaginary time constraints, that "vote with your wallet" is complete BS, and I shouldn't complain about it, because there are bigger problems, that I'm weak minded, that my parents did a awful job on me, that I'm an entitled person.

    Thanks.

  • @AnneBonny said:

    "Guys stop thinking critically just buy everything regardless of how morally questionable the business tactics of the vendor are"

    yeah ok bud

    OP really hit us with that fluoride stare.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286754#Comment_3286754

    Aside from deciding that everyone with any mental illness impairing their impulse control is weak, that is completely missing the point that's made.

    BHVR is changing its sales tactics not to target the widest possible customer base, it's going the same limited-time-only-exclusive-deal-real-money-now tactic that mobile games use to push content. It doesn't work on most people, and you lose out on sales from a lot of people because of the exclusivity. But, the people it's targeting towards make up for it in volume.

    It's a model that exists to squeeze as much money from a small group as possible, a group that is disproportionately weighted towards mental illness that is susceptible to this.

    And what really makes it a scummy business practice is that this hasn't been DbD's model for the past 6 years. So, people who weren't being targeted by this game like they are by so many others are now being preyed on by BHVR. That's why it's dodgy. That's why people are complaining.

    it's not that far off saying that pensioners starting to show signs of dementia who get scammed of all their savings by high-pressure sales and con artists are at fault. You're blaming the targets for being picked.

    (Also, I don't even buy cosmetics; it doesn't directly affect me. I just hate the tactic for these reasons.)

    You are making it sound like this is a willfully evil, mustache-twirling act. And not that, you know, seasonal and limited time items haven't been a thing forever.


    LOTS of things in life are limited time only.


    As for the weak part.... I refer you to definition 2 of a very easy google search:


    "liable to break or give way under pressure; easily damaged."


    I'd say crumbling and NEEDING to purchase something falls neatly under that definition. Things do not become inapplicable because someone thinks they are mean or impolite.


    In regards to your pensioner example, those people really should be conserved if they are that bad off... and likewise anyone that falls under this extreme outlier example of ADHD.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285897#Comment_3285897

    I've done karate since I was, like, 7. My karate instructor, in the time that I've known him, has gotten married and had kids, two of whom have pretty severe autism, and a trait they both share are that they have very, very poor impulse control (one kid once swore in front of his entire class because he just couldn't contain his excitement and the first impulse was to scream ######### YES at the top of his lungs, absolutely pissing myself when I heard this story). One of them is now in their teens, has a part time job while going through secondary school, and is about to start college next year (couldn't be prouder of him). He's at the stage in his life where he's responsible for most of his own money (parents keep half just to make sure that he doesn't spend everything he has, which is reasonable), and I've been told that he's not allowed anywhere near gatcha games, fortnite, or any other game that capitalises on FOMO because of that poor impulse control, that they've been working on for over a decade with him on literally since he was born. That poor impulse control that he's doing his best with but just can't get on top of.

    Is he weak minded, would you say, because of this? If his parents weren't as good at monitoring what he does online, and he'd fallen into issues because of FOMO tactics, would you still call him entitled, or even his parents, for thinking that these marketing tactics are absolute scum?

    Just so I know where you stand on this issue, truly. Because he's an incredibly strong person, to have battled through what life dealt him and be sitting higher tier papers when even getting into class is an effort for him each day.

    That's not him being weak minded, that's him being vulnerable, and that's why this tactic is so predatory. Because it literally preys upon people like him who haven't had parents like he's got. And if you'd still call him weak, then I dread the day one of your kids comes to you with a mental health issue.

    What his parents have done and instilled in him, in recognition of his impulse control issues, is a great coping strategy. They recognised that these sorts of marketing tactics are common in online games, so they (and he) make the conscious decision to avoid them. I would urge anyone who has such strong issues to employ the same sort of strategy and start cutting back on this game, and others, if they are finding it is affecting them negatively.

    I have severe GAD and panic disorder, was first diagnosed with the former at age 11 after a traumatic childhood, and years of therapy have taught me that the only one who can manage my issues is me. The world will never change for me. It doesn't care when people fall through the cracks, sadly. I also do as your friend's son does though, and things that are triggering for my anxiety are treated with avoidance. For example, I find the news triggering, so I don't watch or follow any sort of news station, and I block them when they show up in my newsfeed. My hubby will listen to the news in the car on the way to work, because he can't watch it in our home. It's my coping strategy.

  • @Nazzzak said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3285907#Comment_3285907

    What his parents have done and instilled in him, in recognition of his impulse control issues, is a great coping strategy. They recognised that these sorts of marketing tactics are common in online games, so they (and he) make the conscious decision to avoid them. I would urge anyone who has such strong issues to employ the same sort of strategy and start cutting back on this game, and others, if they are finding it is affecting them negatively.

    I have severe GAD and panic disorder, was first diagnosed with the former at age 11 after a traumatic childhood, and years of therapy have taught me that the only one who can manage my issues is me. The world will never change for me. It doesn't care when people fall through the cracks, sadly. I also do as your friend's son does though, and things that are triggering for my anxiety are treated with avoidance. For example, I find the news triggering, so I don't watch or follow any sort of news station, and I block them when they show up in my newsfeed. My hubby will listen to the news in the car on the way to work, because he can't watch it in our home. It's my coping strategy.

    Doesn't mean BHVR shouldn't get all the flak for changing its strategy and sales to exploit vulnerabilities like this. Not on top of the criticism for the backtracking and deception.

  • @Lycidas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286418#Comment_3286418

    Does..does your stomach have a timer and hits the "Hungry" status at certain times of the day? Or are you hungry at ANY time when you don't eat properly?

    And IDK, hungry people are vulnerable for what reason, exactly? Being hungry is not a medical condition

    While for example having ADHD, which impacts your impulse control is a medical condition

    I have ADHD. I have poor impulse control.

    I take medication. I went to therapy. I learned to manage my poor impulse control.

    BHVR is NOT responsible for the mental health of the consumer. That is the consumer's responsibility.

    The entitlement and complete lack of self-accountability surrounding this discussion is positively STAGGERING.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286593#Comment_3286593

    I have ADHD. I have poor impulse control.

    I take medication. I went to therapy. I learned to manage my poor impulse control.

    BHVR is NOT responsible for the mental health of the consumer. That is the consumer's responsibility.

    The entitlement and complete lack of self-accountability surrounding this discussion is positively STAGGERING.

    And is the customer responsible for BHVR deciding that exploiting their weak points is the best thing to do with skins? Are those who haven't had the same opportunities you have to address their difficulties deserving of this targeting?

    The only staggering thing here is how many people read this thread and go "all these people criticising the business choice are just complaining because of entitlement" when so many have said they aren't buying the cosmetics or thinking about doing so anyway. It is, apparently, completely impossible for so many posters to wrap their heads around "someone can take issue with a decision without being personally affected by it, because empathy and ethical standards exist."

  • Stop complaining about people complaining about the limited cosmetics, Just stop.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286674#Comment_3286674

    I mean, it's actually a more economic analysis than "socialist drivel" but I wouldn't expect you to know that since you stopped reading.

    Par for the course with you tbh

    I'm not interested in a long-winded rabbit hole about your ideological implications of long-term economic development when the actual topic is people being mad that digital clothing is going away in a few weeks.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286889#Comment_3286889

    And is the customer responsible for BHVR deciding that exploiting their weak points is the best thing to do with skins? Are those who haven't had the same opportunities you have to address their difficulties deserving of this targeting?

    The only staggering thing here is how many people read this thread and go "all these people criticising the business choice are just complaining because of entitlement" when so many have said they aren't buying the cosmetics or thinking about doing so anyway. It is, apparently, completely impossible for so many posters to wrap their heads around "someone can take issue with a decision without being personally affected by it, because empathy and ethical standards exist."

    I have empathy for schizophrenics. I have empathy for cancer victims. I have empathy for poor people living on the streets who can't find a warm place to live during the winter.

    I DO NOT - NOR WILL I EVER - have empathy for someone who is afraid of "missing out" because the entire collection of seasonal digital skins aren't made available to them year-round.

    People need to get their f*cking priorities in order. JFC

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286823#Comment_3286823

    It's shady and exploitative. You're the one reading 'unpleasant business tactic adopted to maximise profit from a small group whilst sacrificing sales elsewhere' and turning it into moustache-twiirling evil.

    And you're cherry picking your definitions and framing to call people weak for how their brain is structured. That's just being rude.

    ... also, ADHD's not even a super extreme outlier? It's only one possible thing that affects impulse control, and to a greater or less extent, but the prevalence in adults is estimated at around 4%. That's at least one person in every moderately crowded room. It and other conditions are prevalent enough to make this a completely viable business tactic.


    ADHD is not an extreme outlier. ADHD to the point of buying fake e-clothes to the detriment of paying your power bill IS.

  • @Superbeasto1974 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286906#Comment_3286906

    I have empathy for schizophrenics. I have empathy for cancer victims. I have empathy for poor people living on the streets who can't find a warm place to live during the winter.

    I DO NOT - NOR WILL I EVER - have empathy for someone who is afraid of "missing out" because the entire collection of seasonal digital skins aren't made available to them year-round.

    People need to get their f*cking priorities in order. JFC

    So you don't have empathy for people being specifically targeted by marketing tactics that, regardless of the importance or lack thereof of what is being sold, are proven to be highly effective for the business and very bad for those susceptible to it?

    The only entitled ones here are you "I don't think this matters so I'm going to demean everyone else" lot.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286914#Comment_3286914

    So you don't have empathy for people being specifically targeted by marketing tactics that, regardless of the importance or lack thereof of what is being sold, are proven to be highly effective for the business and very bad for those susceptible to it?

    The only entitled ones here are you "I don't think this matters so I'm going to demean everyone else" lot.

    This is not the crusade you think it is. We're not talking about alcoholics and junkies being baited with booze and drugs.

    News flash: ALL of us miss out on a variety of assets and opportunities EVERY SINGLE DAY of our lives. It's nothing new. It's nothing special. It's about prioritizing. It's about making choices. And at some point, one must be accountable for the choices they make. PERIOD.

    NO ONE is holding a gun to anyone's head.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3286914#Comment_3286914

    So you don't have empathy for people being specifically targeted by marketing tactics that, regardless of the importance or lack thereof of what is being sold, are proven to be highly effective for the business and very bad for those susceptible to it?

    The only entitled ones here are you "I don't think this matters so I'm going to demean everyone else" lot.

    Just because the majority of you FOMO folks think alike, doesn’t mean those of us that think your thoughts on the issue are wrong and bizarre, are in fact wrong.

    Being a part of the majority doesn’t mean you’re right, it just means you’re louder and have found more like minded wrong people to follow along validating your ridiculous theories.

    You’ve all found a way to turn LT cosmetics into a mental health/bully scenario and it’s weird, and yes…weak minded. But you all don’t hear rhyme or reason, so….lost cause.


    Yes..BHVR sat around a room, figuring out which ways a company that advocates for equality and pride and this and that, could attack a specific group of individuals with “mental health issues” that will cause them to over buy cosmetics if they’re limited time. Sounds logical.

  • Hello folks,

    This thread is now closed. As a reminder, please remain on topic, respectful, and steer clear of controversial/ political topics.

1 2 3 ›