Audio is the #1 problem from this patch
Had to make an account to voice my opinion, i hope others chime in as well.
Generally, i'd like to think the visual update, the Legion, and the audio are the biggest gripes coming from this new patch.
However, the Legion does NOT take away the joy i get from playing the game how i want, and i would like to assume many others can relate to this.
The updated engine may be good for the long haul if they tweak a few things, I normally ran the game at medium with 60 frames prior to this new patch, however, i now get about 30-40 frames, and find myself switching between medium and low depending on the map. I usually just leave if i get Mount Ormond, because it is heavily more taxing on my frames than any other map and is very unpleasant to play on.
However, the audio changes are painful. I play my game at the same optimal volume, and the chase music genuinely hurts my ears now, as before it was fine. Footsteps, the brushing of grass from crouched survivors, and injured moans are all now being immensely overpowered by the ambient sounds that have been dialed up. I am not sure if this was intended, or was just tweaked quickly to go with the new package that is the updated engine/new chapter patch. i have searched "Audio" on Reddit and this forum to see the other complaints and how they fare with how i feel, and have found a handful of others within the last 2 days voicing displeasure with the current audio situation.
I hope this can get fixed before the employees in charge of this fix go on break for Christmas, i came home after doing my last bout of finals today in anticipation of enjoying some DbD, but this audio change killed my vibe and left me flaccid more quickly than any change that has been made. I don't mind having 45 frames or less, but let me hear my victims please.
Comments
Definitely noticed this. I thought it might be my headphones.
Are you guys killer or survivor mains?
I hopped on as soon as the patch went live and didn't really pay much attention to the audio as i was in a SWF's group at the time and we were talking, but now that i tried to play killer on my own, the difference was huge.
I don't really play survivor by myself much, so i'm curious if the audio changes are equally as detrimental to those who play killer.
You would think if it was, this would be quickly fixed.
Definitely. Not being able to hear footsteps and grass is horrible. Same with the fog changes. You can't even see someone if they're far enough away now, it's ridiculous.
..
I actually like that
Yeah, the music is definitely too loud, now. The audio mixing is terrible and for a game that's so reliant on sound that's really bad.
Even still, i think this "buff" does not make up for what seems like a moderate indirect nerf to all killers, and a general unpleasant experience for whoever is in a chase, be it killer or survivor.
I play killer...
The survivors used to.make noises...breath...cry in pain..have footsteps...
WAY worse after patch. I hear burning barrels, fixed gens, wind, grass, dumbass music..pretty much everything EXCEPT what I am.listening for (survivors).
######### bhvr?!?! I used to love to wear headphones with this game...now it doesn't matter because sound means nothing.
Christ, I might as well put Halloween on Netflix because I can't hear crap anymore in your game.
I actually haven't played killer since the patch since I'm working on prestiging my licensed survivors and don't like to use bp a killer earned for survivors(I'm weird). Like as a survivor hearing is very important with stealth killers. I used to be able to hear Myers or Pig breathing in their mask since they sound asthmatic like Feng, but now if there's a wall they can creep around you're screwed.
One of my weird things is that the skill check success sound was changed. The skill check trigger sound is the same, but the volume on the great and good skill checks is way lower and bothered me.
haha remember when they broke sound for killers like a year ago glad that would never happen again HAHA!
Yeah, it's borked. Very disappointing.
I thought Iron Will was being picked more, but actually the injured sounds are very low compared to the rest..., also, the Nurse's "whoosh" volume is very high and not directional even when near, it's very confusing. I hope they fix the audio soon.
It is sad that the audio changes are practically giving the survivors a free iron will. I know its not that bad, but you really can't hear the moans of pain unless you are RIGHT up on them.
Did you know? There is a sub-sub forum for your problems!
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/32214/update-2-4-0-unreal-update-performance-lighting-feedback#latest
thank you thank you , i been complaining about this since the first game after patch. I too made an account for just this.
It is much harder to find survivors based on sound after this patch. some stuff is turned down. some stuff like chase music and game music is up.
I saw this, but i don't recall anybody focusing on solely the audio issue, i did not want this massive problem to be swept under the rug by an influx of fps drop comments. Nor did i feel like posting my specs was relevant to the problem.
I bet killer que's will be faster even at rank 1, since others including myself are reluctant to play killer with these new audio issues. My ears do more work than my eyes in this game.
Thank you for your feedback I will send this to the right person. I'll get back to you when I have more info.
If you have any concerns with the audio please don't hesitate to share.
Thanks a lot!
I've talked with our Sound Designer and for the Footsteps they are too low and this is something he will fix eventually same for the injure sound that are too low. Also he will investigate the overall sound that seem to be louder. This is the info I have for now.
Thanks !
Is Stridor working as well as they want it to? Seems quieter than it should be.
This will be like the sound issues they had when the engine was upgraded last time.
Don't expect a working fix for about 2 months.
Glad others are voicing their concerns as well! While playing survivor, the chase and/or injured music is soooo loud, can't hear anything else.
I was wondering if any other survivors have noticed these as well:
It's not a buff because I can't tell where they're at.
This patch is so ######### stupid.
I don't mind the visuals but come on, the new map is garbage, barely any tracks or none at all.
And the generators popping sounds like underwater to me.
Jesus Christ.
So the audio is in a very bad state right now for both killer and survivors, wow that's unfortunate.
How long does it take to resort this sort of problem if it happened before?
Glad you guys are working on it though, i watched the live stream today and was glad to see the problem was recognized and that its being worked on, but can we expect to receive any kind of ETA as to when we can expect the problem to be resolved?
ooh again this kind of problem.
Remember: survivor's breath sound was tuned down permanently. And it never came back to the state before the last engine update.
Yes. I just had a game as Spirit and the lack of sounds REALLY hurt. I even had Stridor and it was hard to hear injured survivors. This needs a fix.
Spirit definitely got hit the hardest by these changes, shes going on the back burner until this gets fixed for sure. Might try to abuse some Myers since apparently survivors cant hear breathing/footsteps nearly as clearly anymore.
Yea I've had Myers and Pig sneak up on me WAY more in the last few days than almost anytime ever. I am a very alert survivor, even as a Wraith it is difficult to get the drop on me. One day, 3 different Pigs managed to ALMOST grab me off a gen in a spot where I had pretty good visibility, all because I couldn't hear her breath as well. Only knew she was coming because I heard the SNIKT of her blade coming out.
Hopefully the fixes come sooner rather than later.
The Audio is nowhere near as bad as the playstion freezing and the fan kicking into overdrive and finally the playstation being unresponsive and you having to hard boot it off or it hardbooting itself off.