Survivors Need to Stop Complaining About Camping
I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I believe there is an error in the general attitude of the DBD community. Keep in mind, I am a roughly 50/50 Killer/Survivor player. I love the mechanics and dynamics of both sides.
Almost every time I play as Killer, in the after-game chat I get somebody who whines about my "camping". Something I don't consider "camping", but rather "patrolling my hook". Most of you Survivor-mains by now are probably thinking "then you shouldn't camp noob", but I feel like there are a few key points that players are not considering:
- Patrolling a hook is a right as Killer. The Survivor on the hook has been discovered, chased, downed, and hooked. Hook rescues are awarded high bloodpoints because it is considered a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. You are not ENTITLED to a hook rescue. A hook rescue is a challenge that is rewarded.
- It is the responsibility of Survivors to adapt their gameplay and cooperation in order to overcome the Killer. If Survivors are playing against a camping Killer, it is the Survivors' responsibility to either exploit the weaknesses of guarding a hook or suffer the consequences. It is not my fault that you have been downed/hooked because you repeatedly and PREDICTABLY choose to attempt a hook rescue.
- How a player chooses to navigate his/her character within the bounds of the game and without exploiting bugs is the choice of the player. EVEN if a killer chooses to facecamp, that is the choice the Killer is making in how to conduct his playstyle. It is up to the Survivors to exploit the weakness of this playstyle by completing objectives while the killer is guarding his hook, or suffer the consequences of not adapting.
- People feel hook patrolling reduces their level of "fun", but this is short-sighted and immature. Fun is had by using your brain, adapting to and overcoming challenges. I'm sorry you don't get to raise your rank, but maybe that means you're not as good of a Survivor as you thought you were. A good survivor adapts and overcomes.
- The devs have stated that hook patrolling is intended. It is an intended mechanic of the game. Survivors hang on hooks for a long period of time because it creates a cat-and-mouse dynamic: the Killer must prevent the hooked survivor from escaping, and the Survivors must weigh the risk-reward of attempting a hook rescue.
I very firmly believe that anyone who reinforces the sentiment of "killers who camp are bad at the game and make it less fun" is completely missing the point of the game.
EDIT to re-word for easier reading and some typos
Comments
i like the picture 2 pretty great i agree with you point on mains though thats something morepeople need to agree on
I camp gens until they are done and that allows me to find and hook survivors. If they save in my face then they are fair game but my main goal is to earn as many blood points as possible. Going after survivors on generators works for me. BBQ makes playing killer worth it. If they did not introduce that perk I would have likely quit already. Gates open then guard away but otherwise, you are likely just hurting yourself by camping and for sure people are blocking you with MLGA.
To be fair "skill" doesn't need to involve more movement. If the survivors play into your camping "strategy" then that is their fault. It can be skillful to find the most optimal way to win the game such as playing to your opponents weakness. In fact in these cases less movement can yield the same results. I may not camp myself unless I'm patrolling some scratch marks but I won't hate on killer for doing so if its yielding results.
here you go ^^
i think this would fit the main threat pretty well:

all in all you got some grerat arguments there and i agree on pretty much everything you said, @Laddy.
keep it up!
Yeah it sucks to be first caught, but if you're first caught, and even halfway decent at running, your team can do 2/3 gens before you're even on the hook. If not, you being chased, downed, walked, hooked, and CAMPED, gives then plenty of time to basically get all the work done.
Someone has to get caught first. If you, and they camp, then all you can do is buy your teammates time to make them learn from their camping. Period.
But when survivors rush a camping LF, it makes it hard to argue that camping ISNT viable for 3/4k. Stupid survivors make stupid tactics stupid easy to use. And I play both sides.
This is a 4v1 asymmetrical PVP game.
As a killer, I am not responsible for the fun and enjoyment of survivors. They are targets to kill however I can within the rules of the game.
As a survivor, I am not responsible for the fun and enjoyment of killers. They want to kill me and I will escape however I can within the rules of the game.
If the survivor is consistently the first one hooked and camped (which means they probably won't earn many blood points) then, in a competitive game, they probably should "adapt" their playstyle because their strategy clearly isn't working.
hooking. I use BBQ n CHILI, once I hook, I move and repeat the cycle. That’s just me tho, up to you to follow it or not
O.o camping didn’t start in cod it started in final fantasy 11. were u kill normal monsters from 2- 18 hours after death for a chance at a respawn as only 1 spawns people would camp for it as only 1 has a chance at a drop.
But yea u all cry over 2 mins go camp something for 16 hours and then tell me 2 mins is honestly comparable.
I never said it started in Call of Duty.
I was giving an example. =]
I don’t care about Killing. I also don’t let people go for free.. Unless there are 2x Party Streamers and I’ll consider it.
Take it as a compliment. If someone is camping you to death, they’re afraid they won’t catch you again.
My favorite games are when people hard camp, they get 1 kill and 7.5k points. Meanwhile everyone else escapes. Then they say you’re noob gen rushers L u L 🙂
That started well before FF11. I remember camping back in EQ.
"Stormfeather" >:}
Which is why campers are trash players. They can't get someone more than once. If I max bold points in a single chase and go down, I'm 90% sure the trash is going to camp. It's epidemic from rank 20-8 and honestly needs to be addressed. It's the reason for most of the DC's and hook suicides in the game.
So trash that you're the one who lost.
Lost? lol ok if that's what you call taking 10 minutes to down 1 survivor. Yeah that is THE definition of trash. Rank 1 killer and I never take long enough to fill a survivor's boldness points. But hey be aggressive because you're always wrong. Gotta insult people because you're just a sad malicious person.
You died, so yeah, you lost. You couldn't even win the chase and failed at stealth.
It makes them feel good like they're powerful when they sit there and hit them 50 times. I make it a point to tell them to look at their points and emblems and look at mine at the end of the game(not that they can see my emblems but you get the idea)
Agreed. That's why games that are too easy (where the strategy you employ is irrelevant because you're virtually guaranteed a win) or too restrictive (only a handful of strategies can be used if you intend to win) are boring.
Sometimes I do exactly that...irl.
If I camp, I don't have to put my beer OR crunchwrap supreme down.
AND I get a kil!?
Honestly...why WOULDN'T someone camp?
I can't wait until Campfest goes live!
Win conditions are different in this game more so than most. If you don't know that then you don't really understand the game.
the inevitable devolution into nothing more than a bunch of campers circle-jerking eachother about how awesome they are.
lmao.
RIP civil conversations and constructive feedback.
Honestly, I wasn't joking either. Sometimes I very literally have my killer stand in front of the hook while I eat my crunchwrap supreme and drink my beer.
What am I gonna do? Let it get cold?
It's sort of a win-win.
Plus the guy on the hook gets killed and gets to pop into another match. Meanwhile his teammates get to gen rush, rack up bps and escape.
It's actually a win-win-win-win-win!
Like, is it a smores or can of beans kinda night?
Just in response to the "Do you think survivors enjoy being camped" I play about 70/30 to surv. And they way I see it when I get camped is, what's the point complaining, the killer deosn't care about how I feel, He's just trying to have his own fun.
Hooking someone, using the survivor as bait to get at least another one and you have cut down their power in half. Removing one player from the game is too much rewarding.
Not from a BP point, but from a gameplay point.
If the killer would have other good ways to disrupt the progress of the survivors, we all would love to do so.
Right now a killer have 3 options.
1. Chase. You occupy one survivor from doing gens, but also preventing yourself to halt the progress of the other 3 survivors.
2. Hooking a survivor, you basically occupy at least 2 survivors. One on the hook, one to the rescue. 3 if one is distracting you in the chase. Only one left for gens. Plus after the rescue healing also prevents progress on the gens.
3. Kick a gen. This action feels the least rewarding and feels like a miniscule influence on he game without specific perks.
No wonder a killer is so obsessed with hooking and slugging someone, because those are the most effective way to influence the game.
The only reasonable way to counteract this, is not to punish the behavior, but put a greater reward on an other task. (Buffs over Nerfs)
Declining points for camping and tunneling only strenghen the incentive to do so.
Some as protest and others even see them as a hidden reward, so they do not pip, derank and get easier/funnier games.
Without a leader board your rank means nothing. It just makes the average game harder and more toxic.
So if you at Bhvr want your player to let the survivor get of the hook, give the killer something more rewarding!
Right now hooking/slugging is the only viable way to progress the game as a killer.
Everything else just stalls the game. And elongated games are also unfun.
So please implement more meaningful and exciting interactions between killer and survivors.
(As a survivor you can do gens, cleanse totems, loot chest for goodies, sabo hooks, loop the killer, drop pallets, bodyblock for your fellow survivor, unhook, healing yourself and each other, flashlight blind and safe, even your perks are more interactive and rewarding like DH, SB, DS you actively can do something)
That's not really funny but let me hit you with the reality: You won't be looking at the hook for 2 minutes, you'll be looking at 3 survivors that desperately try to help their friend. And that's incredibly funny sometimes ;-)
Indeed it is.
Have to punish behavior when it's called for. Gee Gee
Wow, you're part of the 1/10 Survivors who don't reward camping.
Technically speaking that's incorrect, it'd be win/loss, win, win, win, win since the 1st person wouldn't get very many points so they'd lose. But because they can requeue up quicker they sort of win as well provided they don't get camped at start of next match.
That screenshot is funny for two reasons:
1) You didn't censor the chat
2) It's ALWAYS a Huntress with Iridescent Head and Ebony Mori that gets completly rekt.
Is this a coincidence? Huntress & IH & Ebony Mori = Epic failure most of the time. Is it because they never play Huntress and thus go fully tryhard without knowing how to land hatchets? Or maybe because survivors start to rush gens like crazy the moment she downs the first survivor?
Whatever it is, those add-ons/offerings seem tojust make it worse for her lol
Good job punishing her though, always funny to get a 3-4man escape and then you see an ebony mori.
It's the latter. When the trial is made harder, Survivors start to play better. It's proof that Killers need buffs, to get rid of ######### teammates who goof around and get everyone killed.
Yea, I noticed that when I played Nurse a lot. They hear a blink = everyone focuses on gens. Huntress with instadown probably has a similar effect, or a Myers with suspiciously long stalking times.
Makes you realize how efficient Survivors could be if they stop messing around. Imagine if players would be that dedicated by default? Game would be pretty damn hard as Killer but eh, glad that's not the case most of the time
The depip squad proved that when Survivors play efficiently, Killers have no chance of winning.
Everyone has a different playstyle. Some killers want to continue hunting after a hook, some want to facecamp with Insidious, and some want to patrol. Same goes for survivors... Some want to utilize stealth, some loop, some infinite, etc. Just because you don't like somebody's playstyle doesn't give you the right to berate them and tell them how to play.
We all paid to play. Nobody spent their money to listen to some brat tell them not to camp or loop. If you want to play a certain way, you have the right to. However there will always be "that guy" that tells you that you play the game incorrectly.
A few nights ago I played against a person who got angry because I didn't ignore them after they got unhooked and they were the only one I seen.
They said "I emailed the other survivors and we are going to report you for being an unfair player and camper"
Gonna revive my thread because I STILL see people crying about "camping", i.e. guarding hooks. It is completely within my right as killer to guard a hook. If you cannot adapt and capture gens to punish the time used to guard a hook, it is your fault. If you PREDICTABLY use altruistic strategies and attempt a hook rescue every time, it is only logical for the killer to hang around a hook because HE KNOWS YOU WILL SHOW UP.
Now, I don't guard my hooks nearly as much if I'm playing, say, the Trapper. Trapper has the ability to use his traps to passively guard the hooks for him while he goes off to damage gens and patrol.
For the Wraith? Stalking hooks while cloaked and ambushing during a hook rescue is basically what he is designed for. Survivors need to learn that if they are playing against a Wraith, he is designed to exploit altruism. Do not attempt hook rescues because he is excellent at ambushing. IT IS YOUR FAULT THAT YOU PREDICTABLY ATTEMPT HOOK RESCUES AGAINST A WRAITH
Survivors, you are being whiny, sore losers. You are not entitled to a hook rescue. Hook rescues are awarded a lot of bloodpoints for a REASON. Because hook rescues are RISKY. If you have been chased, downed, and hooked, the killer has every right to use whatever strategy at his disposal to make sure you stay there.
"What I despise and absolutely hate is if killers camp / tunnel when the game just started. Why? For the love of god, you are making this game even worse than it already is."
If you are hooked, you have essentially been eliminated. You have lost. If you are successfully rescued, great, but you are not entitled to a rescue.
Then whats its the solution alot of killer tha tunnel me and camp says to me gid gud or adapt so i dont know how to fix this issue about camping i dont really get it why its valid but still i hope the devs do something against this and make it balance for both sides killers have BBQ so that they wont camp but still they camp
You obviously didn't read the thread, Tru3Lemon