Survivors Need to Stop Complaining About Camping

I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I believe there is an error in the general attitude of the DBD community. Keep in mind, I am a roughly 50/50 Killer/Survivor player. I love the mechanics and dynamics of both sides.

Almost every time I play as Killer, in the after-game chat I get somebody who whines about my "camping". Something I don't consider "camping", but rather "patrolling my hook". Most of you Survivor-mains by now are probably thinking "then you shouldn't camp noob", but I feel like there are a few key points that players are not considering:

  1. Patrolling a hook is a right as Killer. The Survivor on the hook has been discovered, chased, downed, and hooked. Hook rescues are awarded high bloodpoints because it is considered a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. You are not ENTITLED to a hook rescue. A hook rescue is a challenge that is rewarded.
  2. It is the responsibility of Survivors to adapt their gameplay and cooperation in order to overcome the Killer. If Survivors are playing against a camping Killer, it is the Survivors' responsibility to either exploit the weaknesses of guarding a hook or suffer the consequences. It is not my fault that you have been downed/hooked because you repeatedly and PREDICTABLY choose to attempt a hook rescue.
  3. How a player chooses to navigate his/her character within the bounds of the game and without exploiting bugs is the choice of the player. EVEN if a killer chooses to facecamp, that is the choice the Killer is making in how to conduct his playstyle. It is up to the Survivors to exploit the weakness of this playstyle by completing objectives while the killer is guarding his hook, or suffer the consequences of not adapting.
  4. People feel hook patrolling reduces their level of "fun", but this is short-sighted and immature. Fun is had by using your brain, adapting to and overcoming challenges. I'm sorry you don't get to raise your rank, but maybe that means you're not as good of a Survivor as you thought you were. A good survivor adapts and overcomes.
  5. The devs have stated that hook patrolling is intended. It is an intended mechanic of the game. Survivors hang on hooks for a long period of time because it creates a cat-and-mouse dynamic: the Killer must prevent the hooked survivor from escaping, and the Survivors must weigh the risk-reward of attempting a hook rescue.

I very firmly believe that anyone who reinforces the sentiment of "killers who camp are bad at the game and make it less fun" is completely missing the point of the game.

EDIT to re-word for easier reading and some typos

Tagged: ACMMod

Comments

  • When the opposition is complaining about your actions, rest assured, it's effective.

    Killers complain about looping, why? It's effective.

    I've never had a survivor thank me for face camping because they have yet to figure it out:

    "Thank you for standing in one spot for most of the game. It's allowed us to get 3 generators repaired unmolested".


  • @Peanits said:

    Not to undermine your points, but it's still a valid complaint. If you down a guy once and camp him until he's sacrificed, he's not going to have barrels of fun sitting there on the hook. You're absolutely within your rights to do so, but you still have to acknowledge that when all is said and done, you're making the game less fun for them. Sames goes for what is essentially the survivor equivalent; pallet looping. If you play in a way that makes the game less fun for the other side (even if it is within the rules), you can't be surprised if they're not happy about it.

    I will totally disagree about adapting and overcoming, though. There is no way for that hooked survivor to do so. The other survivors can ignore the hook and rush the generators, but that still doesn't change anything for the guy getting camped. He can't just adapt and unhook himself.

    @Peanits

    That's a lofty ambition. Fun for everyone, yet someone HAS to "lose". Being camped isn't fun. You're probably correct. Being tunneled isn't fun. Being looped isn't fun. Being stunned isn't fun. Being blinded isn't fun. Being farmed isn't fun.

    I won't disagree that being camped on a hook is probably the least fun a survivor can have. It servers a purpose, it's for the greater good of the group...if the group takes advantage. I've had it happen to me, everyone has, no one here is special. We have all had multiple games, back to back, where, as a survivor, we are found within minutes of the game starting, tunneled and hooked....and that was the games entirety. However, I would argue that it doesn't happen enough to generate such fake outrage.

    Without the "low points", how would we ever appreciate those "high point" clutch moments?

  • @Laddy said:

    @Peanits said:

    Not to undermine your points, but it's still a valid complaint. If you down a guy once and camp him until he's sacrificed, he's not going to have barrels of fun sitting there on the hook. You're absolutely within your rights to do so, but you still have to acknowledge that when all is said and done, you're making the game less fun for them. Sames goes for what is essentially the survivor equivalent; pallet looping. If you play in a way that makes the game less fun for the other side (even if it is within the rules), you can't be surprised if they're not happy about it.

    I will totally disagree about adapting and overcoming, though. There is no way for that hooked survivor to do so. The other survivors can ignore the hook and rush the generators, but that still doesn't change anything for the guy getting camped. He can't just adapt and unhook himself.

    Good points. I can see that for some people who have a more casual approach to the game camping could be annoying, especially at low ranks. However my response to your first point is that, in my opinion, from the way I view the game mechanics, when a survivor is hooked he is essentially eliminated. A hook rescue is skillful and commendable, but nothing more than a risky bonus. The aim of the game as Survivor first and foremost is not to be detected. As for pallet looping, it can be adapted to by the Killer by optimizing his chase routes and anticipating Survivor movements. It's all in the way the game is played.

    As for the second paragraph, my first point holds. When a survivor is hooked he is essentially eliminated. Survivors have no entitlement to a hook rescue. If you get rescued great, if not it's back to the lobby to try again. The player adapts by not being hooked in the first place.

    @twistedmonkey said:
    While some of your points are correct in some ways you have to remember its a game played for fun, games are played in down time and some people may only have 30m a day to play, while legit its certianly not fun for the survivor and as a killer I can tell you its boring and not fun to do.

    Take into account this game is not just about rank, kills, escapes, imo its more about blood points, some do play for those though so I am not discounting them, its just the grind in this game is so emmense and camping rewards you with less blood points and also the one on the hook can get very little, by design its a bad play style to adopt apart from certain circumstances.

    Survivors have to take some of the blame at times by not doing gens and getting out of dodge, more often than not they reward the action, this has landed at a bit of a slight fault on the devs with the emblem system, survivors need benevolent points and if a killer camps well it not only screws over the person on the hook but everyone else, this is one reason why the devs actively are looking at ways to try and stop it from happening.

    Camping as a strat has its place, it is never going away and with everyone standing around the hook why would they leave? they are gifting you the kills, gates are powered again why leave? they are securing their last one, the only time I think to myself its a bit scummy is when there are 5 gens and the killer is standing next to the hook refusing to leave.

    As I've stated earlier in the thread, camping isn't something that's optimal 100% of the time for every killer. For instance, the Trapper benefits from setting traps and leaving his hook to harass nearby generators. Another example is that camping is more beneficial late game than it is early game. With the varied mechanics of every Killer, it is up to the player to figure out the optimal Camp/Hunt ratio at different stages of the game. What bothers me is how Survivors get very hostile and toxic about something that is actually their fault, and worse, this attitude is widely accepted and encouraged. I'm merely attempting to re-balance the community's attitude and remind people of the way the game is meant to be played.

    As for the boring part, I have to disagree with both of you. I think it makes the game more interesting. By encouraging all playstyles, it encourages the full utilization of the depth of game mechanics intended by the devs. Killers Camp or Hunt, and Survivors can be Altruistic or Solitary. It's a constant balancing act between both sides, and the most skillful and tactful side wins.

    Thanks for the good replies.

    You lost me at "...to not be detected..." the amount of killer perks and abilities that give aura sight destroys the thing you list as survivor's #1 goal.

    I do love how you mention that camping could be frustrating for someone who plays more casual. I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but this is a casual game. It is referred to as a "party game" for a reason. There is no balance and therefore cannot be a competitive game. That is where so many players go wrong. They treat the game as a competitive game when it is casual at its core. It is played for fun by most of what is left of its player base.

  • Camping only punishes altruistic survivors, if you are not altruistic you will escape, literally playing the game will be much much more enjoyable than sitting there doing nothing until someone goes to unhook

  • @Hoodied said:

    Camping only punishes altruistic survivors, if you are not altruistic you will escape, literally playing the game will be much much more enjoyable than sitting there doing nothing until someone goes to unhook

    Can confirm. I played with a friend of mine yesterday and we just left each other on the hook because the killer was camping.

  • Camping is really boring but as it does work why would people stop it?

    I had a game last night against a spirit and after she hooked the first person the other 2 kept going for the unhook and I believe she was warpinp away then warping back as they kept going down. They should have give up there.

    After several attempts devour hope appears. I have managed to get it down to 1 gen at this point on my own. I get the last gen done as she moris the last survivor and the exit gates are pretty close together.

    I end up getting seen once, hit once and mori'd and that was all I had to do with the killer.

    I wouldn't exactly say it was camping but she wanted people right off the hook. The problem there was not the killer tunneling and waiting for someone to get unhooked. It was the survivors for feeding her. Just leave it if you can't get to them and you will have a better game.

  • Survivors need's to stop complaining about everything and git gud in general.. A game can't be balanced around new or amateur people. And if is going to be that way then in low ranks the match should have modifiers that make things easy, so the devs can leave high ranks untouched.

  • I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about.

    I agree to this:)


  • @Irisora said:

    Survivors need's to stop complaining about everything and git gud in general.. A game can't be balanced around new or amateur people. And if is going to be that way then in low ranks the match should have modifiers that make things easy, so the devs can leave high ranks untouched.

    And when survivors do get good, killers complain loudest. Not balancing for new people applies to both sides. A lot of killers here never considered the the possibility that they might not be good, especially when going up against survivors who are.

    On the OP, I never understood why killers felt the need to cling to their hooks or even cared if someone got unhooked besides using it as a lead to find other survivors. Unhooks mean opportunity for more emblems, points for everyone, especially the killer, and a healthier. more interesting game. Another thing most killers do not know how to do is lose with dignity. They stop being killers and become hostage takers, but you get used to that. I'm often the last one caught just as the gates get powered.

  • @Ttwylerr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/221822#Comment_221822

    Dont bother talking to orion they're known for just trying to troll or be obnoxious.

    @Ttwylerr they're not a troll though, I disagree with them on things but that's fine. There's people on this forum that VERY transparently try to incite flaming/pointless arguements and they're not one of them.


    And on the general topic: people can complain about whatever they want to complain about. It's annoying to be camped and tunneled, it's annoying to get the full MoM + instaheal + adrenaline + decisive + borrowed experience, but neither is illegal or automatically makes the player bad at the game.

    Just because people complain about something doesn't mean it's not allowed, and I'd rather people just get it out of their system rather than letting it get bottled up until they go full hypocrite and do "unfun" stuff themselves to get "revenge" or whatever.

  • @Ttwylerr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/221822#Comment_221822

    Dont bother talking to orion they're known for just trying to troll or be obnoxious.

    @Ttwylerr they're not a troll though, I disagree with them on things but that's fine. There's people on this forum that VERY transparently try to incite flaming/pointless arguements and they're not one of them.


    And on the general topic: people can complain about whatever they want to complain about. It's annoying to be camped and tunneled, it's annoying to get the full MoM + instaheal + adrenaline + decisive + borrowed experience, but neither is illegal or automatically makes the player bad at the game.

    Just because people complain about something doesn't mean it's not allowed, and I'd rather people just get it out of their system rather than letting it get bottled up until they go full hypocrite and do "unfun" stuff themselves to get "revenge" or whatever.

  • @Laddy said:

    @Avariku said:
    the only thing I have to say to this is that while I'm about 60/40 as a "killer main" ... Even as a survivor I have NO issue with patrols... hell, that just makes sense...  the problem I have is with killers who decide their first victim has no right to play the game at all for the duration of the round. 

    and yet, the community seems to expect that person should now dangle from the hook for 2 minutes of absolute boredom or completely screw the remaining survivors over. 

    just seems like a bad game mechanic to me.

    I have to respectfully disagree. If a killer makes a hook, he's made a hook. It's up to the survivors to weigh the risk/reward of attempting a hook rescue. If the Killer decides he wants to make the time investment of closely guarding his hook, then that is his choice. However, it leaves the Killer vulnerable because it gives the Survivors a chance to complete objectives without being chased.

    It promotes two main playstyles: Hook Guarding or Hooking and Hunting. One playstyle ensures kills, while the other prevents Survivors from completeing objectives yet leaves the hook vulnerable to a Rescue.

    And when the killer has made a hook, the game is designed to let players unhook said hooked survivor.

    Killer camping the hook goes against the very design intent of the game and just makes the game miserable for that one poor guy.

    How any killer can even justify this lousy, toxic and unskilled behavior is beyond me.

    There's a reason why survivors DC, and the reason is you OP.


    As for "a good survivor adapts and overcomes" you play Survivor right? How exactly are you supposed to adapt or overcome being first to hook then camped all game long? You do not have the ability to do anything meaningful to overcome the situation. You are completely at the mercy of your teammates and the killer.

    There is no counterplay. Unless you want to run Vigo's Salty Lips every game, and pack Slippery Meat and Up the Ante, and even that isn't counter play it's just dumb luck, and isn't sustainable, and isn't even consistent.

  • Haven’t seen much camping lately, by which I mean face camping. Plenty of proximity camping which is almost as annoying. I can’t think of anything more annoying as a ‘cloak and camp’ wraith though. How bad do you have to be to adopt that game style..

  • @Laddy said:

    I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I believe there is an error in the general attitude of the DBD community. Keep in mind, I am a roughly 50/50 Killer/Survivor player. I love the mechanics and dynamics of both sides.

    Almost every time I play as Killer, in the after-game chat I get somebody who whines about my "camping". Something I don't consider "camping", but rather "patrolling my hook". Most of you Survivor-mains by now are probably thinking "then you shouldn't camp noob", but I feel like there are a few key points that players are not considering:

    1. Patrolling a hook is a right as Killer. The Survivor on the hook has been discovered, chased, downed, and hooked. Hook rescues are awarded high bloodpoints because it is considered a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. You are not ENTITLED to a hook rescue. A hook rescue is a challenge that is rewarded.
    2. It is the responsibility of Survivors to adapt their gameplay and cooperation in order to overcome the Killer. If Survivors are playing against a camping Killer, it is the Survivors' responsibility to either exploit the weaknesses of guarding a hook or suffer the consequences. It is not my fault that you have been downed/hooked because you repeatedly and PREDICTABLY choose to attempt a hook rescue.
    3. How a player chooses to navigate his/her character within the bounds of the game and without exploiting bugs is the choice of the player. EVEN if a killer chooses to facecamp, that is the choice the Killer is making in how to conduct his playstyle. It is up to the Survivors to exploit the weakness of this playstyle by completing objectives while the killer is guarding his hook, or suffer the consequences of not adapting.
    4. People feel hook patrolling reduces their level of "fun", but this is short-sighted and immature. Fun is had by using your brain, adapting to and overcoming challenges. I'm sorry you don't get to raise your rank, but maybe that means you're not as good of a Survivor as you thought you were. A good survivor adapts and overcomes.
    5. The devs have stated that hook patrolling is intended. It is an intended mechanic of the game. Survivors hang on hooks for a long period of time because it creates a cat-and-mouse dynamic: the Killer must prevent the hooked survivor from escaping, and the Survivors must weigh the risk-reward of attempting a hook rescue.

    I very firmly believe that anyone who reinforces the sentiment of "killers who camp are bad at the game and make it less fun" is completely missing the point of the game.

    EDIT to re-word for easier reading and some typos

    So I kinda agree on a few things first of all yes survivors should be smart and know what they're facing but as a killer main camping is really stupid when I see someone getting camped my three teammates gen-rush and get out and your left with a single kill. Now, it's not bad to check up on the surviver every now and then but sitting there waiting for him/her to die isnt smart at all even when im the camped person I simply tell them to get gens done and GTFO he gets his de pit they get theyre iri badges in everything besides the benevolent badge WHICH can still get you a 2pit if the rest are red

  • @Laddy said:

    I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I believe there is an error in the general attitude of the DBD community. Keep in mind, I am a roughly 50/50 Killer/Survivor player. I love the mechanics and dynamics of both sides.

    Almost every time I play as Killer, in the after-game chat I get somebody who whines about my "camping". Something I don't consider "camping", but rather "patrolling my hook". Most of you Survivor-mains by now are probably thinking "then you shouldn't camp noob", but I feel like there are a few key points that players are not considering:

    1. Patrolling a hook is a right as Killer. The Survivor on the hook has been discovered, chased, downed, and hooked. Hook rescues are awarded high bloodpoints because it is considered a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. You are not ENTITLED to a hook rescue. A hook rescue is a challenge that is rewarded.
    2. It is the responsibility of Survivors to adapt their gameplay and cooperation in order to overcome the Killer. If Survivors are playing against a camping Killer, it is the Survivors' responsibility to either exploit the weaknesses of guarding a hook or suffer the consequences. It is not my fault that you have been downed/hooked because you repeatedly and PREDICTABLY choose to attempt a hook rescue.
    3. How a player chooses to navigate his/her character within the bounds of the game and without exploiting bugs is the choice of the player. EVEN if a killer chooses to facecamp, that is the choice the Killer is making in how to conduct his playstyle. It is up to the Survivors to exploit the weakness of this playstyle by completing objectives while the killer is guarding his hook, or suffer the consequences of not adapting.
    4. People feel hook patrolling reduces their level of "fun", but this is short-sighted and immature. Fun is had by using your brain, adapting to and overcoming challenges. I'm sorry you don't get to raise your rank, but maybe that means you're not as good of a Survivor as you thought you were. A good survivor adapts and overcomes.
    5. The devs have stated that hook patrolling is intended. It is an intended mechanic of the game. Survivors hang on hooks for a long period of time because it creates a cat-and-mouse dynamic: the Killer must prevent the hooked survivor from escaping, and the Survivors must weigh the risk-reward of attempting a hook rescue.

    I very firmly believe that anyone who reinforces the sentiment of "killers who camp are bad at the game and make it less fun" is completely missing the point of the game.

    EDIT to re-word for easier reading and some typos

    Those are valid and the only issue I have with a killer that plays like that is you already get an advantage with certain perks that show you the exact location of the survivor. I understand your point if you don't have that perk. However with that perk why camp you already have the advantage then I see killers like that get mad when the survivor Disconnects. Which I dont personally practice camping as killer or DC as survivor but then you can argue that a killer shouldn't get mad at DC either then. The game is set up to give killer advantages between long wiggle and hooks close together and the perks like seeing survivors location. And agree looping isnt camping but why camp I have the upper hand as killer with perks hooks everything. That's why I dont camp I want to show my talent and it's more fun not camping and if I did camp seeing how game is in my favor as killer i wouldn't get mad if they dc. DC however does irritate me in a clean game. But thing makes me maddest in the games is survivors that think you'll obey them when they point or run to you thinking you wont hit them. And killers that enable them, unless everyone dc but 1thats the only time I let that survivor win I feel bad they had immature teammates. And if they dont try to help their team I seek those ones out with vengeance then I focus on hooking that one over and over till their out lol. I like honor in my games fyi if I'm your killer.

  • To me if a killer is camping, there not very good at playing killer! I play only as survivor because i prefer the thrill of it! Plenty of times in the game a killer is able to get 4k without the need to camp! Theres nothing worse when playing and a killer camps not giving the people playing a fair chance at the game! Its ######### sportmanship and sorelosing when you csmp because you know its the only way you will get any kills!

    just face it your ######### at playing killer! Maybe try sticking to survivor!

  • @Laddy said:

    I am a long-time DBD player and I decided to make this thread because it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I believe there is an error in the general attitude of the DBD community. Keep in mind, I am a roughly 50/50 Killer/Survivor player. I love the mechanics and dynamics of both sides.

    Almost every time I play as Killer, in the after-game chat I get somebody who whines about my "camping". Something I don't consider "camping", but rather "patrolling my hook". Most of you Survivor-mains by now are probably thinking "then you shouldn't camp noob", but I feel like there are a few key points that players are not considering:

    1. Patrolling a hook is a right as Killer. The Survivor on the hook has been discovered, chased, downed, and hooked. Hook rescues are awarded high bloodpoints because it is considered a HIGH RISK ACTIVITY. You are not ENTITLED to a hook rescue. A hook rescue is a challenge that is rewarded.
    2. It is the responsibility of Survivors to adapt their gameplay and cooperation in order to overcome the Killer. If Survivors are playing against a camping Killer, it is the Survivors' responsibility to either exploit the weaknesses of guarding a hook or suffer the consequences. It is not my fault that you have been downed/hooked because you repeatedly and PREDICTABLY choose to attempt a hook rescue.
    3. How a player chooses to navigate his/her character within the bounds of the game and without exploiting bugs is the choice of the player. EVEN if a killer chooses to facecamp, that is the choice the Killer is making in how to conduct his playstyle. It is up to the Survivors to exploit the weakness of this playstyle by completing objectives while the killer is guarding his hook, or suffer the consequences of not adapting.
    4. People feel hook patrolling reduces their level of "fun", but this is short-sighted and immature. Fun is had by using your brain, adapting to and overcoming challenges. I'm sorry you don't get to raise your rank, but maybe that means you're not as good of a Survivor as you thought you were. A good survivor adapts and overcomes.
    5. The devs have stated that hook patrolling is intended. It is an intended mechanic of the game. Survivors hang on hooks for a long period of time because it creates a cat-and-mouse dynamic: the Killer must prevent the hooked survivor from escaping, and the Survivors must weigh the risk-reward of attempting a hook rescue.

    I very firmly believe that anyone who reinforces the sentiment of "killers who camp are bad at the game and make it less fun" is completely missing the point of the game.

    EDIT to re-word for easier reading and some typos

    Ikr. They just want to take full advantage of survivors. The game is already more on survivor side and I wish they nerf it cuz you can't hook all 4 survivors unless noob lobby. I play both roles almost 50/50 fyi.

    Camping is just a strategy and yes if you wanna call it no skill feel free to stay and if you are irritated by the fact then don't cry on me if it was thing they didn't intend to include they could have removed it.

    Tldr; Talking trash won't help. Either don't play the game or just accept the fact camping exists. It's not your cod.

  • This is legitimately the worst take I have ever heard. Patrolling isn't too bad but it's still a bit eh, I wanna focus on a camp.

    There is very little counter-play to a camper, especially if they play an instant down killer. As a survivor it comes to two choices.

    1. coordinate a save with your teammates taking some hits or
    2. ignore that guy and do gens

    The issues with these is that survivors in solo queue cannot communicate at all. There's no game chat. if you wanted to go for a save, you can't coordinate that well enough unless you got lucky with everyone being on the same page. You also can't tell your teammates to ignore the camp, and so they will end up dying too fast and that ruins the amount of gens you can do in what you think is the strategy to adapt to. It may seem like it isn't that overpowered when you play against SWF and that's because they are in a voice chat. The VAST majority of players are in either a solo queue or are playing with one other friend. It's just not viable to consistently counter-play a camp.

    Also, on the point that it reduces the fun. That was the dumbest point you made. The BIGGEST part of playing survivor is the team factor. You aren't supposed to play selfishly. The fun gets reduced because you feel bad for the person who is being camped and literally didn't get a proper chance to play the game. Your fun is reduced because instead of playing cooperatively with your team, you instead have to play like a selfish try hard and rush gens in order to get anything out of that game. Fun can come from challenges, but you have to succeed in those challenges to get the hit of dopamine. You aren't succeeding when the best thing you can do is the opposite of what you're playing the game for.

1 2 3 ›