Spine chill shouldn't work on Undetectable Killers/Perks

Spine chill is a great perk and I love it myself when I play survivors but when I play killer and any stealth killer it's a absolute nightmare. I thought there are stealth killer to Well...stealth... Also the effect called on these killers is basically called Undetectable...so it doesn't make sense for spine chill to tell you that a invisible wraith is coming in your direction.


Spine chill can work for the Oblivious effect and like always to any other moment, but the moment the killer has the Undetectable effect trough there basekit, addons or perks spine chill shouldn't show that the killer is coming.

Comments

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916826#Comment_2916826

    You can attempt to mindgame it like that, but even if you do - it's still a powerful early warning system against killers who rely on sneaky approaches.

    I know that even as a beginner survivor, it's strong. If I see it light up and then go dark and nobody else is being chased, I know to be on my guard - even in this scenario it's basically Whispers that also gives me a pretty powerful speed boost, with zero cooldown, at times when I need it the most.

    Then add on the fact that it blind counters Myers (against savvy survivors, you can find yourself stuck in T1 for ages), at the very least soft counters a bunch of other killers...any perk that requires you to play as if it were present even if it's not probably suggests that this perk might be on the OP side.

    It would still be amazing even if it didn't function when a killer was undetectable.

    I would never use it.

    I guess just like keys after the nerf, according to this forum still amazing with aura reading, yet I played 500+ games and saw a key once

  • @Marigoria said:

    Not everything needs to be nerfed. Perks are supposed to give you an advantage.

    If it's to nerf everything, might as well make the game completely perkless.

    No but perks that counters whole play styles are problematic.


    I mean, imagine if a killer had a perk to counter bt. Or remember when you can bypass bt with stealth mechanics? Kinda unfair for survivors right? So they changed that. Or remember when pphead first came out and he could camp people in his cages? So they changed that? Aka nerfing him? Or when they changed franklyn demise purely cause of nemesis?


    Point is, while i agree that not everything should be nerfed, perks that counters killer powers or play styles within reason are problematic. Especially of killer should be in a power role.

  • We're going after Spinechill now?


    Interesting.

  • @Seanzu said:

    We're going after Spinechill now?

    Interesting.

    After Dead Hard, Spine Chill is next.

  • @Piruluk said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916840#Comment_2916840

    I would never use it.

    I guess just like keys after the nerf, according to this forum still amazing with aura reading, yet I played 500+ games and saw a key once

    Really? I see plenty of keys, and with the right addons they are amazing - but some of them need a duration buff.

    I'd still run SC for sure.

    I'd hope that boons are next (nerf CoH, buff DT and Overcome) but yes, SC needs a look.

    Are you implying that Dead Hard doesn't need a nerf? Otherwise I'm not sure why you even mentioned it.

    @Seanzu said:

    We're going after Spinechill now?

    Interesting.

    At the very least it shouldn't work against undetectable. This one perk is a large reason why Myers can be so frustrating to play - this one perk alone can ensure you stay in T1 for ages, and there isn't much you can do about it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916733#Comment_2916733

    Yeah, it is.

    The fact that you got outplayed by someone doesn't mean the perk isn't a problem. It just means that someone was a bit more skilled than you.

    'This perk is fine because survivors sometimes make mistakes' isn't a good argument. I saw the same damn stuff trotted out to defend CoH auras stacking, old OoO, old DS etc.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916738#Comment_2916738

    Spine Chill is amazing in SWFs, almost as good as old OoO was. And that's before we get into the bonus speeds.

    It's also great in solo.

    The fact that you are so dependent on this single perk probably means that it needs a look, in and of itself.

    I agree that solo survivors need some help - and they are getting it. My guess is that the new statuses will be coming in a few months for the anniversary. But this one perk and the way it punishes specific killers with zero realistic counterplay isn't good for the game.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916719#Comment_2916719

    The issue isn't just marking - it's catching the marked survivor off guard.

    But it's hard to talk accurately about Ghosty right now due to his rework, and how much depends on whether the changes to reveal come out to a nerf or not.

    Let's talk about Myers.

    How does a Myers play around Spinechill?

    Myers can struggle with Spine Chill a little, but:

    • He's one killer out of 27. If I was calling for Calm Spirit nerfs just because of Doctor that would be ridiculous.
    • He's not bad because of Spine Chill, he's bad because of a lot of other reasons.
    • He can still get a bit of stalk from a survivor with Spine Chill, and they're still vulnerable to 99s if you use the same strategy as Ghostface.

    Some perks are just naturally going to be more effective against some killers, that doesn't mean they need nerfs.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916826#Comment_2916826

    You can attempt to mindgame it like that, but even if you do - it's still a powerful early warning system against killers who rely on sneaky approaches.

    I know that even as a beginner survivor, it's strong. If I see it light up and then go dark and nobody else is being chased, I know to be on my guard - even in this scenario it's basically Whispers that also gives me a pretty powerful speed boost, with zero cooldown, at times when I need it the most.

    Then add on the fact that it blind counters Myers (against savvy survivors, you can find yourself stuck in T1 for ages), at the very least soft counters a bunch of other killers...any perk that requires you to play as if it were present even if it's not probably suggests that this perk might be on the OP side.

    It would still be amazing even if it didn't function when a killer was undetectable.

    Sure, like I said it’s obviously really good against Stealth. I think it’s one of the best survivor perks personally, in part because it not only helps with Stealth but the alerts also help against mindgames in chases.

    In fact I’d be all for removing that vault speed buff it has, I think it would still be a solid perk without it and that speed boost seems kind of like a spurious addition that has little to do with the main point of the perk, namely alerting you to when a killer is coming.

    A couple months ago someone posted 400 games worth of data and kept track of how many survivors used specific perks every match. It was pretty interesting because you could pivot out escape rates versus how many people had Dead Hard for example and see a really strong correlation. Unfortunately the data didn’t include a column for Spine Chill and I would have loved to have seen how much of an impact Spine Chill has on escape rates, particularly if there was enough data in it to get good averages for individual killers.

  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916801#Comment_2916801

    Myers can struggle with Spine Chill a little, but:

    • He's one killer out of 27. If I was calling for Calm Spirit nerfs just because of Doctor that would be ridiculous.
    • He's not bad because of Spine Chill, he's bad because of a lot of other reasons.
    • He can still get a bit of stalk from a survivor with Spine Chill, and they're still vulnerable to 99s if you use the same strategy as Ghostface.

    Some perks are just naturally going to be more effective against some killers, that doesn't mean they need nerfs.

    'A little bit' is downplaying how hard this counters him.

    • Yes, and? Calm Spirit is a silly example - nobody runs it because it's terrible. SC is a great perk against all killers and devastating against a few.
    • It doesn't help, and if the devs aren't going to buff or rework Myers (they've said they won't be), then this perk needs attention.
    • Not really. Unless they misplay horribly, you're just wasting stalk juice and in T1 you're going to get crapped on.

    Sure. But where that perk is already powerful, and absolutely devastating to a few killers - that means it probably does.

    @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916840#Comment_2916840

    Sure, like I said it’s obviously really good against Stealth. I think it’s one of the best survivor perks personally, in part because it not only helps with Stealth but the alerts also help against mindgames in chases.

    In fact I’d be all for removing that vault speed buff it has, I think it would still be a solid perk without it and that speed boost seems kind of like a spurious addition that has little to do with the main point of the perk, namely alerting you to when a killer is coming.

    A couple months ago someone posted 400 games worth of data and kept track of how many survivors used specific perks every match. It was pretty interesting because you could pivot out escape rates versus how many people had Dead Hard for example and see a really strong correlation. Unfortunately the data didn’t include a column for Spine Chill and I would have loved to have seen how much of an impact Spine Chill has on escape rates, particularly if there was enough data in it to get good averages for individual killers.

    I could probably hack something together from recorded matches, but I can tell you:

    • I see a lot of SC.
    • I run SC almost every game, and it helps me immensely almost every game.

    I like the speed boosts but yeah, they could be removed. However, I'd rather just make it not work against stealth, as that's sort of the area where it becomes unfair. It's sort of crappy to have something this out of your control negate your kit so effectively.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916863#Comment_2916863

    'A little bit' is downplaying how hard this counters him.

    • Yes, and? Calm Spirit is a silly example - nobody runs it because it's terrible. SC is a great perk against all killers and devastating against a few.
    • It doesn't help, and if the devs aren't going to buff or rework Myers (they've said they won't be), then this perk needs attention.
    • Not really. Unless they misplay horribly, you're just wasting stalk juice and in T1 you're going to get crapped on.

    Sure. But where that perk is already powerful, and absolutely devastating to a few killers - that means it probably does.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916865#Comment_2916865

    I could probably hack something together from recorded matches, but I can tell you:

    • I see a lot of SC.
    • I run SC almost every game, and it helps me immensely almost every game.

    I like the speed boosts but yeah, they could be removed. However, I'd rather just make it not work against stealth, as that's sort of the area where it becomes unfair. It's sort of crappy to have something this out of your control negate your kit so effectively.

    Calm Spirit isn't a silly example, the amount that it's run doesn't change the fact that you're asking for a perk nerf for 2 killers at most.

  • @DrDeepwound said:

    Seeing more and more spine chill, had 3 in multiple matches last night.

    These same survivors will tell you, "the chase is the main fun of the game"

    yeah, cept you guys run across map before we even get there.

    When I approach a gen I look to the 45 angle and not at gens directly sometimes I stare at a gen while I am not even going that way to make them get off gens

    Nothing wrong with spine chill, but this here is exactly the best way to tackle it, I’ve witnessed it first hand and the killer scared the hell out me as I was so reliant on spine chill!

    Its a good play

  • A perk to counter stealth killers... shouldn't counter stealth killers?

  • Nothing is wrong with Spine Chill. It serves its purpose.

  • @Piruluk said:

    That would make any stealth killer overpowered.

    And Spine Chill would be useless

    O V E R P O W E R E D? man if you think not being directly shown when a sneaky killer is sneaking to you (which is the majority of their power) makes them overpowered, then I think you need to play without spine chill for a bit. The devs made sure to give the two that crouch, the tiny one, and three invisible ones sound cues, and the one that isn't any of those is just massive with a white mask. You just have to look and listen

    Screenshot_20220423-143837_Google.jpg


  • At best they should give immunity to myers and ghostface mid stalk animation because their powers literally require looking

  • @Piruluk said:

    That would make any stealth killer overpowered.

    And Spine Chill would be useless

    Yes, basekit Mickey would just SKY ROCKET through the roof, straight up to S tier spot

  • survivor mains: I only use spinechill for the speed boost 🤓

    also survivor mains: nooo, you can’t nerf spinechill, I can’t look around and hit easy skill checks at the same time. Killer can just moonwalk, even though survivor got 3rd person camera that can peak around corners

  • @Piruluk said:

    That would make any stealth killer overpowered.

    And Spine Chill would be useless

    Stealth or invisibility?

  • @Hawk81584 said:

    prime example of killers complaining about EVERY perk a survivor has (example 10000000000)

    Not gonna lie but people in this community are so obnoxious and petty lol. All people are saying it shouldn't work on stealth killers you literally barely see stealth killers because of perks like this, but fine enjoy the S tier killers, and remember this when you refuse to help them out. Because its your fault you don't want them to be able to use their main niche lol.

  • Even if they made spinechill fully useless which I dont think is necessary, the current stealth killers will continue to be a joke, so might as well just leave the perk be.

  • @Piruluk said:

    That would make any stealth killer overpowered.

    And Spine Chill would be useless

    Are you serious? I can not believe it.

  • yes for m1 killers no for ability hitting ones

  • I don't support this.

  • It 100% should work on Undetectable killers.


    However, it should be affected by Blindness.

    Blinding a survivor should remove their ability to glean insight from such perks - which may actually make the effect more important.


    In that case, you might actually see Fearmonger and Third Seal be brought into matches.

  • idc what anyone says a single perk completely disabling stealth is ######### stupid, the perk needs changed

  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916873#Comment_2916873

    Calm Spirit isn't a silly example, the amount that it's run doesn't change the fact that you're asking for a perk nerf for 2 killers at most.

    No, I'm asking for a nerf to a perk that is effective against all killers, completely hard counters one and soft counters another 4.

    And yes, Calm Spirit is a terrible example. Firstly, it doesn't hard counter the Doctor, and second it's a perk that's only really useful against Doctor. If the perk was whackadoo strong like Spine Chill is, then yeah - that would be worth talking about. But it isn't, so it's not.

  • @Hawk81584 said:

    prime example of killers complaining about EVERY perk a survivor has (example 10000000000)

    That's not true!

    They don't complain about No Mither!

  • I second this sentiment honestly, a perk shouldn't full counter a killer's power. Part of facing a stealth killer should be the not knowing or constantly on alert, spine chill removes this almost entirely, you can relax and know the killer never sneaks up on you, which is just silly.

  • Spine Chill is fine and easily counterable. It's while purpose is to counter stealth killers.

  • @HungrySnek said:

    Spine chill is a great perk and I love it myself when I play survivors but when I play killer and any stealth killer it's a absolute nightmare. I thought there are stealth killer to Well...stealth... Also the effect called on these killers is basically called Undetectable...so it doesn't make sense for spine chill to tell you that a invisible wraith is coming in your direction.

    Spine chill can work for the Oblivious effect and like always to any other moment, but the moment the killer has the Undetectable effect trough there basekit, addons or perks spine chill shouldn't show that the killer is coming.

    It’s not an afterthought that SC counters stealth killers, it’s the whole point. Most people don’t run this perk, and since you don’t know who the killer is before the game starts you can’t just pick this perk because you know you’re going against stealth. It would be really dumb if it didn’t work against stealth killers. It would render the perk totally worthless if you happened to bring it against a stealth killer and that is too powerful - negate whole perks just because of the type of killer. Sure plague and PH do that to some perks, but not usually in every situation.

  • "spinechill should be nerfed, that'll fix the game. " Sure bud.

  • Isn't the whole point of 3rd person perspective survivor is that you can actually move your camera to see who is behind you?

    Stealth killers are weak and fixing spine chill would give them the threat that they deserve.

  • @Trickstaaaaa said:

    There is nothing people don't want nerfed in this game lmao. Like turning one of the decent perks into a useless perk. It's not OP, it can be countered. Would you guys rather see more spine chills or DH/BT, since that's the perks I see you guys always complaining about. If anything you guys should put more energy into asking for weak/useless perks to be BUFFED instead of nerfing decent perks.

    "It can be countered"

    Say to GF and Myers players.

  • Yeah that's the entire point of the perk, it counters stealth. If there weren't stealth killers, or if it didn't counter said stealth killers, it would be a bad perk.


    But let's go ahead and take this perk away so we can make sure every survivor runs DS/BT/DH/COH.

  • A single perk should not counter all of the stealth killers, especially since they are not that strong in the first place. But if you all want to go against S Tier killers all the time and then complain about that, so be it.

  • Killers need to look away from survivors as if they are some kind of killer like Slenderman lol.

    I dont have an issue much with Spine Chill itself, but rather the gameplay it encourages from the killer.

  • Wow, some of you guys go for just about anything now

  • @ReverseVelocity said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2916801#Comment_2916801

    Myers can struggle with Spine Chill a little, but:

    • He's one killer out of 27. If I was calling for Calm Spirit nerfs just because of Doctor that would be ridiculous.
    • He's not bad because of Spine Chill, he's bad because of a lot of other reasons.
    • He can still get a bit of stalk from a survivor with Spine Chill, and they're still vulnerable to 99s if you use the same strategy as Ghostface.

    Some perks are just naturally going to be more effective against some killers, that doesn't mean they need nerfs.

    remind me of Stridor nerf. It was used by literally 1 killer, and yet, it got nerfed

  • @Piruluk said:

    That would make any stealth killer overpowered.

    And Spine Chill would be useless

    No it wouldn’t, and no, it wouldnt

1 2 ›