I love how scared bhvr is about VHS lmao

Hmmm why do we have bloodhound excactly then when the VHS beta comes out? What a weird coincidence am I right fellow gamers?

But for real it's sad how bhvr tries such a cheap trick to try to make people not play the demo. Bhvrs answer about everything is Bloodpoints in form of cheap events or codes.

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • @Etukan said:

    dbd players are dropping cause of the strong killer nerfs, we will see if bhvr will really get scared or not.

    Where are they dropping?

    As of the last 30 days on steam alone it has peaked at about 82,000 players.

  • Although I wish no I'll will on BHVR, I do think VHS will be pretty fun and a good break from CIV 5 and DBD


    I also think it will push BHVR to do better if they have some good and healthy competition in the same genre of game


    Best of luck to both

  • People act like vhs will kill dbd, but people forget that battlefield and call of duty coexist, like pubg and fortnite or mortal kombat and street fighter.

    All games belong to a same genera but they have different mechanics and appeal to different public. Either way competion will help both games to make to work ln their cons and stronger their pros.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://twitter.com/DEARGRANNY/status/1465041580406939650?s=20

    Just gonna leave this here as another one's opinion.

    Wonder how well this holds up when people literally change to only play and pay for another game?

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    Ok I just watched a YT video of VHS and DbD has nothing to worry about to be honest. We think SWF hit squads are bad well the teamwork in that game can literally stun-lock the killer, you can easily lose the killer in the maze like maps, the bully factor is worse that DbD. For VHS to be a threat to DbD they will have to rework alot of the aspects of the game, which they probably won't but I'm not counting out any game that's in a closed Beta.

    So to answer the question, NO...BHVR is not worried or afraid of VHS.

    ok, just 2 things

    1. there is in-game voice chat+ping system, so, this game balanced around teens talking (unlike dbd)
    2. about "stun-lock a killer". whenever a teen succesfully use a weapon, (damage/stun killer, break armor etc) he immediatly loses it. Plus, every killer has a way to "counter" weapon


  • @jokere98 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2665496#Comment_2665496

    ok, just 2 things

    1. there is in-game voice chat+ping system, so, this game balanced around teens talking (unlike dbd)
    2. about "stun-lock a killer". whenever a teen succesfully use a weapon, (damage/stun killer, break armor etc) he immediatly loses it. Plus, every killer has a way to "counter" weapon

    Yeah but if each member of the team has a weapon they can stun lock him. I watched it on a YTuber I watch, the killer was hit by 3 weapons right after the other. And within 4 mins the killer lost the game.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2665496#Comment_2665496

    you didn't pay attention to the mechanics of the game at all

    No I did survivors need 4 different weapons or 5 I can't remember off hand. They have to kill the killer with each weapon type to win. When the killer is killer he despairs and respawns. Each time the killer spawned in he was hit with a weapon and died again. The match lasted 4 mins if that.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2665713#Comment_2665713

    I think a lot of people immediately disregard VHS for 3 main reasons.

    1. The gameplay is closer to Evolve than it is dbd. It's not a survival/escape thing, you are meant to hunt down the "killer" and kill them 4 times to win.

    2. If it was closer to dbd, that would make it closer to the dozens of similar games that have come out and failed completely to sustain a player base in the last 5 years. After seeing enough "DbD killers" come, fail to find an audience and leave, it takes a lot more than a closed beta to make me believe this one will be any different.

    3. It appears to be PC only, which in this time and place is not helpful to making a splash.

    Actually Friday is still fun and could have been something if they didn't get sued.

  • Posting for goodluck in getting graced with a beta key.

    Wish me luck.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667042#Comment_2667042

    You got the basics down, but the details are what matter and they're why I think VHS is pretty neat and particularly well designed:

    • Teens have their weapons temporarily disabled if they are hit, and all weapons are disabled an area of effect around where a teen is hit.
    • Teens have their weapons destroyed if they are down, and thus have to spend time crafting a new one, making them vulnerable.
    • Teens' weapons are destroyed upon getting a kill/stun, again making them vulnerable for a time after an engagement.
    • Stigma (teen weapon) damage isn't permanent. You can't chip damage the monster to death, so you have to make your engagements count.
    • Each monster so far has ways of tracking teens, as well as mobility & defensive tools at their disposal that work really well in conjunction with not having to deal with chip damage. Cooldown management, map knowledge, and game sense are key and seem to be rewarded well in this game.

    You can't really understand the game that well and shouldn't jump to conclusions by watching one match where someone got steam rolled as monster, because I've seen it happen to teens as well. That's simply a facet of the game being brand new and people not knowing how to play yet. Hell, if you look back at beta DbD footage (HybridPanda has some videos from each side), you can see just how bad people were at DbD back in the day. You don't even have to do that, honestly...just look at new players in DbD.

    I don't think VHS is a DbD killer and don't think most (reasonable) people do, nor am I saying people should like it just because I or anyone else does. But to waive away the game because of misconceptions derived from how other asymmetrical games have handled mechanics & scenarios that VHS has explicitly designed answers for is unfair and ignorant.

    See I didn't know that lol. So I wasn't jumping to conclusions I was just going off what I have seen and understood about VHS. So I stand corrected but my opinion still stands that BHVR isn't afraid of it lol. Will I try VHS....probably so.

    But now knowing that new bit of info makes it slightly better and not so one sided as it seems.

  • @Mineguy said:

    Hmmm why do we have bloodhound excactly then when the VHS beta comes out? What a weird coincidence am I right fellow gamers?

    But for real it's sad how bhvr tries such a cheap trick to try to make people not play the demo. Bhvrs answer about everything is Bloodpoints in form of cheap events or codes.

    This is gonna age like milk, I can already tell XD.

  • I don't really understand why are you comparing these 2 games at all. Sure they have similarities but VHS is free to play game. We all know what this means. In the future it will be heavily cash shopped game since free to play games have to make money somehow. It's not just going to be cosmetics eather. Second VHS looks more for children. It has no blood what ive seen so far. It's also very fortnite style which does not appeal to me whatsoever. I for one will not play a killer in a game where you go against 4 people who can actually kill you. It's hard enough in DBD to try kill people where you dont die, i'm not dealing with death squads in a game where you can.

    This all being said 2 games can exists together without one killing another one. VHS can be good for the younger audience while DBD can pull the older people (hopefully). It's nice that another game with new flavor is coming out so people who enjoy that type can go there. No one should play something they dont enjoy.

    I for one will never play free to play games nor am i into the whole fortnite graphics so i'm staying with my love ghostface in DBD.

    Edit: still can't type.

  • Tbh HSHS had much more potential than VHS does since HSHS actually had a horror element to it. VHS lacks the horror that people like in dbd.

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    Tbh HSHS had much more potential than VHS does since HSHS actually had a horror element to it. VHS lacks the horror that people like in dbd.

    Simply wrong, VHS intentionally dialed back on the horror elements to make it more accessible to a broader audience. It's the same thing Fortnite did.

  • @Mineguy said:

    Hmmm why do we have bloodhound excactly then when the VHS beta comes out? What a weird coincidence am I right fellow gamers?

    But for real it's sad how bhvr tries such a cheap trick to try to make people not play the demo. Bhvrs answer about everything is Bloodpoints in form of cheap events or codes.

    I love how people keep saying that BHVR is scared. With a sliver SLIVER of "evidence". Which has nothing to actually back it up. I would even say the opposite. BHVR love their game. It's their baby. I'd bet they'll love VHS as well.

  • @GentlemanFridge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2664783#Comment_2664783

    That...is a very cynical view to have, to be perfectly honest.

    Want an example? Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing New Horizons releasing on the same day. I highly doubt that wasn't coincidental.

    Oh, a DbD example? Patch 5.3.0.

    Nintendo was just scared they'd lose their cute-style life sim players to the other big game in the genre, so they rushed AC's release.

    Heard it here first, folks!

  • @BattleCast said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667405#Comment_2667405

    Simply wrong, VHS intentionally dialed back on the horror elements to make it more accessible to a broader audience. It's the same thing Fortnite did.

    Yeah but here’s the thing, dead by daylights appeal was the HORROR not the action. An insane amount of people got into dead by daylight and only like it for the HORROR aspects. VHS has no horror aspects what’s so ever and tries to be a goofy comedy game which is fine but is it gonna be the dbd ender everyone says it will? Probably never. Not unless they rebuild it to be an actual horror game.

  • Okay well … here is an basic economy lesson :

    They aren’t not afraid of VHS, an «  money user » society or startup or whatever only want one thing : BENEFITS AND MONEY.

    Dead By Daylight have like …. 80% part of the horror asymmetrical game.

    You know … BHVR is like Coca Cola and VHS are the equivalent to … Selecto

    They aren’t NOT afraid but don’t want concurrent for keep the power of the ONLY POPULAR ONE.

    That was all for me. An 3thrd year economy student.

  • @DontNerf said:

    The people who think BHVR is scared of VHS are very unaware of how much of a monopoly BHVR has over this genre

    Yeah, you can explain with economy if you doing that at student :U

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667412#Comment_2667412

    Yeah but here’s the thing, dead by daylights appeal was the HORROR not the action. An insane amount of people got into dead by daylight and only like it for the HORROR aspects. VHS has no horror aspects what’s so ever and tries to be a goofy comedy game which is fine but is it gonna be the dbd ender everyone says it will? Probably never. Not unless they rebuild it to be an actual horror game.

    You’re forgetting the fact that the horror elements are a massive barrier to entry for many would be asymmetrical fans. Also everyone I know only plays DbD because it’s got the best mechanics and support than any other asym game, and not because of the horror elements. The horror appeal goes away 3 hours in.

  • Sorry, I seen this and have to ask, I think I'm out of the loop, pardon me. What is VHS?

    I had my brother send that to me once, it never fails to make me laugh. At the same time it causes me pain lol

  • bhvr is not scared of vhs. it's in your head.

    i know it's a satisfying little fantasy to think about, but it's not real my man.

  • @KerJuice said:

    Everyone is acting like VHS is going to dethrone DBD or something.

    Hopefully it’ll take the majority of the immature camping, tunneling, ragequitting teabagging children/teens away from DBD, due to its cartoonish looks.

    im not a big fan of the graphics honestly for vhs

  • @PinkCaffiene said:

    Sorry, I seen this and have to ask, I think I'm out of the loop, pardon me. What is VHS?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2664976#Comment_2664976

    I had my brother send that to me once, it never fails to make me laugh. At the same time it causes me pain lol

    It's a new game where Kids get sucked into a haunted VHS tape and they are hunted down by goofy B rate horror monsters. The Kids have to make different weapons and kill the monster with each different weapon to win the match.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667740#Comment_2667740

    It's a new game where Kids get sucked into a haunted VHS tape and they are hunted down by goofy B rate horror monsters. The Kids have to make different weapons and kill the monster with each different weapon to win the match.

    Ooooh, thank you for the response! that actually sounds really cool! is it currently out or not yet? Maybe that might be a nice game to pick up and alternate between with DBD with my siblings and friends.

  • @katoptris said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2665785#Comment_2665785

    Actually Friday is still fun and could have been something if they didn't get sued.

    F13 is tons of fun. I think my favorite bug is the door bug, where you can break a cabin door down and still be stuck outside, unable to enter like Jason has decided to play by vampire rules and wait to be invited in. The bug that makes cars reverse faster than they go forward is fun too. Unfortunately the legal issues (as well as Just tons of jank) stopped it from keeping a consistent audience.

  • @PinkCaffiene said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667764#Comment_2667764

    Ooooh, thank you for the response! that actually sounds really cool! is it currently out or not yet? Maybe that might be a nice game to pick up and alternate between with DBD with my siblings and friends.

    It's not out yet and it will be F2P

  • F2P? thats even better for my cheapskate butt lol, I'll keep an eye out on it, thank you! <3

  • @BattleCast said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667405#Comment_2667405

    Simply wrong, VHS intentionally dialed back on the horror elements to make it more accessible to a broader audience. It's the same thing Fortnite did.

    Where did you get that from, because as far as I am concerned In an interview they said they were inspired by 80s horror and slashers. Which was a more campy/fun horror during its time.

    Personally I am not a fan of the “fortnite” low-poly approach when it comes to the aesthetic, but being an 80s kid, I am willing to give it a try.

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667412#Comment_2667412

    Where did you get that from, because as far as I am concerned In an interview they said they were inspired by 80s horror and slashers. Which was a more campy/fun horror during its time.

    Personally I am not a fan of the “fortnite” low-poly approach when it comes to the aesthetic, but being an 80s kid, I am willing to give it a try.

    There was an screenshot they shared of VHS in an unfinished state and it was just a hallway filled with blood and gore. It’s buried in one of their QnA streams. They obviously didn’t go with that in their final design for the reasons you stated, but they did dial it back on the blood/gore.

    If you search up Techsmith314 in twitch you should find a couple QnA streams with the VHS devs and the screenshot should be somewhere in there.

  • @VikingDragonXii said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2666554#Comment_2666554

    No I did survivors need 4 different weapons or 5 I can't remember off hand. They have to kill the killer with each weapon type to win. When the killer is killer he despairs and respawns. Each time the killer spawned in he was hit with a weapon and died again. The match lasted 4 mins if that.

    can you link a video please?

  • @Johnny_XMan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667412#Comment_2667412

    Where did you get that from, because as far as I am concerned In an interview they said they were inspired by 80s horror and slashers. Which was a more campy/fun horror during its time.

    Personally I am not a fan of the “fortnite” low-poly approach when it comes to the aesthetic, but being an 80s kid, I am willing to give it a try.

    search on youtube, "the VHS developer Q&A special". 3:34

  • @BattleCast said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667570#Comment_2667570

    You’re forgetting the fact that the horror elements are a massive barrier to entry for many would be asymmetrical fans. Also everyone I know only plays DbD because it’s got the best mechanics and support than any other asym game, and not because of the horror elements. The horror appeal goes away 3 hours in.

    The horror appeal doesn’t go away what. The theme is horror, the theme of the game has never NOT been horror and that’s what attracted most people to dbd. VHS doesn’t have anything close to that. There’s a reason why the only asymmetrical games that survive are related to horror. Friday the 13th (at its time), Dbd, identity v etc etc all have horror. Asymmetrical games that failed all lacked the horror element in order to go into a ‘wider audience’ and it just didn’t work because the wider audience doesn’t care for that stuff.

  • @jokere98 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667799#Comment_2667799

    search on youtube, "the VHS developer Q&A special". 3:34

    I think what he is saying is that to them it is still within the horror genre. Just not the gruesome/bloody kind.

    Art-wise I think it looks like a fun game but in some parts the “fortnite clean look” from what I have watched really lacks atmosphere.

  • I think the major issues VHS is facing right now are two things:

    1. Its practically only known for being a potential DBD killer or DBD-like game, not really for its own merits. Because of this, people are going into the game with the wrong expectations, resulting in a disconnect between the people who were looking forward to it for the wrong reasons and the people who have played it a ton already and stomp whoever they face. I've noticed a bit of a divide between its currently playerbase; there are those who think its fun, and those who are marginally disappointed in what it truly offered. Unfortunately, because of the publicity it got being near exclusive to DBD streamers, it led up to a game that was consumed by pre-made assumptions. Its still in the closed beta, though, so hopefully this clears up a bit.
    2. There seems to be mechanics that are pretty big turnoffs for some people. Match time is lengthy and potentially boring, you can't really win as the last person alive should your team of strangers be uncoordinated, there's a lack of the fear factor, a baseline voice-com system which, in this genre, is sort of a big point of contention on random teams, and ultimately its just a completely different game at its core. Its bright, colorful, wacky and goofy, and the monsters aren't really intended to be scary as much as they are intended to be thematically consistent. The big hook for DBD is the fact that its a horror game, in the horror genre, about horror-based killers and places.


    I think it has potential and looks wonderful (80s? monsters? thats practically tailor-made for me), but the people and streamers who have gotten it to this point are also the people hurting it most due to never allowing its first impression to be for its own merits. And of course, no game is perfect, which is what people were expecting because of its incessant praise.

    I don't think VHS and DBD will ever butt heads in the way people are anticipating; someone else on this forum described them as "comfortable neighbors", and I'm inclined to agree.

    Carnival Hunt is looking extremely promising though, has had fantastic trailer reception and a really unique concept. Can't wait to see some gameplay for that 😳

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2667600#Comment_2667600

    The horror appeal doesn’t go away what. The theme is horror, the theme of the game has never NOT been horror and that’s what attracted most people to dbd. VHS doesn’t have anything close to that. There’s a reason why the only asymmetrical games that survive are related to horror. Friday the 13th (at its time), Dbd, identity v etc etc all have horror. Asymmetrical games that failed all lacked the horror element in order to go into a ‘wider audience’ and it just didn’t work because the wider audience doesn’t care for that stuff.

    It seems we’re just not going to agree with each other. Let’s just see how VHS does. I’m betting it will do well and become a huge success ~1-2 years down the line. If it fails, then I guess you were right.

  • If anything BHVR has already made so much money that the competition is too late, even if VHS were a better game it would take years for them to actually get on the same level as this game with licensing and content, but I will say that vhs going free to play was the right move and will help them climb faster , also who says there can't be crossover and both sides benefit? Regardless BHVR has 5 and a half years on them of progress

1 2 ›