Should We Know (After the Game) Who Was in a SWF?

A lot of people chalk up their poor game experience to going against a 4 man SWF. I've been accused of being in a SWF more than once when I wasn't, so when I see posts from people saying they lost to a SWF, I wonder if those people were actually in a SWF.

So the question is, post game, should everyone know who was in a SWF? And if so, why?

On the one hand, thinking you were in a SWF and learning you weren't could A, help you catch and report actual cheating but B, show you that you simply weren't as skilled as those you faced, and that could help you get better as a player. (I know, I know. I've been on these forums long enough to realize that "B" is a pipe dream. It takes a lot of maturity to accept someone simply outplayed you. There always has to be a reason outside of one's own shortcomings (ex: "The map is broken"). Sometimes that is true, but realizing when it isn't true is hard. Still, I'm the type who would find it valuable.)

But back to the question, I can think of a lot of pros and a lot of cons. And it certainly would open up a lot of questions. Should Killers get a proportionate BP bonus based on the size of the SWF, for instance? And what about those times when people play together, but aren't on comms? The game can't possibly account for that.

So what do you think? Do you think the cons outweigh the pros? Or do the pros outweigh the cons?

Comments

  • I want to know. Yes

  • I don't think so. I don't see it contributing much in practice other than getting people angrier than they already were.

  • @Dustin said:

    I admit I have a hard time trying to argue against not knowing who SWF's are post game. Only post game though.

    Just like revealing the killers loadout too early I feel revealing who are in a SWF to the killer too early gives too much in game information.

    Agreed, the Killer shouldn't see beforehand, but I was thinking so as to prevent lobby dodging. But that is a good point. If it's a two man SWF, the Killer would target one of them intentionally.

  • For me it is 50/50. Lobby dodging. But at the same time I do think there needs to be adjustments. I just dont know what would be a good suggestion at this point.

  • @InnCognito said:

    For me it is 50/50. Lobby dodging. But at the same time I do think there needs to be adjustments. I just dont know what would be a good suggestion at this point.

    Do you mean there need to be adjustments about SWF? As in, maybe assessing a speed penalty to repairing actions based on the amount of friends, or granting BP bonuses to Killers, etc.?

  • You should know beforehand who is in a SWF. Zero reason not to. Your entire playstyle changes based on who is in a swf or not. I always check steam profiles for friends lists. If I see 3 people are in a swf, I know to prepare for things that only swfs do.

  • Absolutely it's integral. Pretty big slap to the face that it isn't that way already.

  • @Impose said:

    You should know beforehand who is in a SWF. Zero reason not to. Your entire playstyle changes based on who is in a swf or not. I always check steam profiles for friends lists. If I see 3 people are in a swf, I know to prepare for things that only swfs do.

    Disagree.

    It'll cause far too many lobby dodges. For Killers who do play and see people are in a 2 man SWF, they will use that information to target specific survivors out of the game.

    Both of those things are unhealthy for the game. SWF are not a problem that must be eradicated. They are a part of the game that, reasonably, can be criticized for balance. I even proposed a BP bonus compensation for Killers, relative to the size of the SWF. That is quite fair, and there are plenty of other reasonable adjustments that could be made regarding SWF. But seeing who is in a SWF beforehand is not balanced, and it's not the answer.

  • I'd like to know only because I'd like to see how common swf actually are.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495084#Comment_2495084

    Disagree.

    It'll cause far too many lobby dodges. For Killers who do play and see people are in a 2 man SWF, they will use that information to target specific survivors out of the game.

    Both of those things are unhealthy for the game. SWF are not a problem that must be eradicated. They are a part of the game that, reasonably, can be criticized for balance. I even proposed a BP bonus compensation for Killers, relative to the size of the SWF. That is quite fair, and there are plenty of other reasonable adjustments that could be made regarding SWF. But seeing who is in a SWF beforehand is not balanced, and it's not the answer.

    Seeing who ISN'T in a swf isn't balanced either. Not knowing if this is a group of 4 who know exactly where you are at all times, what killer you are, where you've been, what you've done on the map. That's not balanced.


    There is no good argument against knowing SWFs before the match starts besides "it will cause too many lobby dodgers." Which I, personally, am totally fine with. If it takes people quitting this game, or ditching lobbies, or just not playing killer so the survivor queue times are so long no one else plays, for BHVR to actually FIX this game. I am 100% all for it. My queue times are already bordering on 30 minutes, and I'll still leave against 4 man squads or even 3 man squads if I'm just trying to have a good time.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495044#Comment_2495044

    Do you mean there need to be adjustments about SWF? As in, maybe assessing a speed penalty to repairing actions based on the amount of friends, or granting BP bonuses to Killers, etc.?

    Surely you jest sir. You mean killers don't like SWF because it gives an advantage.

    You heretic, Killers don't like SWF because we hate people having fun right?

  • @Impose said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495096#Comment_2495096

    Seeing who ISN'T in a swf isn't balanced either. Not knowing if this is a group of 4 who know exactly where you are at all times, what killer you are, where you've been, what you've done on the map. That's not balanced.

    There is no good argument against knowing SWFs before the match starts besides "it will cause too many lobby dodgers." Which I, personally, am totally fine with. If it takes people quitting this game, or ditching lobbies, or just not playing killer so the survivor queue times are so long no one else plays, for BHVR to actually FIX this game. I am 100% all for it. My queue times are already bordering on 30 minutes, and I'll still leave against 4 man squads or even 3 man squads if I'm just trying to have a good time.

    Yes, it is balanced. It is far too much information for a Killer to know who is in a SWF beforehand. I am fine with adjustments, but not your proposal. As neither of us actually has any say in the matter (unless you work for BHVR), we are going to have to agree to disagree, or else we risk repeating ourselves.

    @Barbarossa2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495078#Comment_2495078

    Surely you jest sir. You mean killers don't like SWF because it gives an advantage.

    You heretic, Killers don't like SWF because we hate people having fun right?

    Huh?

    And, sir, I will insist you address me properly, for I am a lady of the court. Your dishonorable address shall not stand. My knights shall see to it that my honor is defended most valiantly. (Thanks for starting the ball rolling with the court speak. I got to indulge in a little weirdness lmao)

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495102#Comment_2495102

    Yes, it is balanced. It is far too much information for a Killer to know who is in a SWF beforehand. I am fine with adjustments, but not your proposal. As neither of us actually has any say in the matter (unless you work for BHVR), we are going to have to agree to disagree, or else we risk repeating ourselves.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2495103#Comment_2495103

    Huh?

    And, sir, I will insist you address me properly, for I am a lady of the court. Your dishonorable address shall not stand. My knights shall see to it that my honor is defended most valiantly. (Thanks for starting the ball rolling with the court speak. I got to indulge in a little weirdness lmao)

    Uh. It is not balanced in anyway. This game is not and has not been balanced around survivors being in SWFs. It is balanced around 4 solo survivors and 1 killer. Introducing an inherent advantage to one side when it is balanced around NOT having this inherent advantage is the textbook definition of imbalance.


    Agree to disagree all you want mate, but its simply wrong to state that SWF vs Killer is balanced.

  • I argued that knowing beforehand who is in a SWF is not balanced, not that SWF itself is balanced. You're responding to something I didn't claim. ". . . but it's simply wrong to state that SWF vs Killer is balanced." We're not discussing the same thing.

    And yes, we are going to have to agree to disagree, mate.

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2492720#Comment_2492720

    Survivor here. I play mostly solo queue, but from time to time I play SWF (with a highly skilled team). I wouldn't care if the Killer knew we were SWF post game. We've had our a**es handed to us by good Killers plenty of times, and we don't win just because we're SWF either. It's an advantage to be on comms, but it's not a guarantee. So I don't agree that "you only lost because of the power of swf." There's more to it than that. But, with that being said, I can agree that some people feel the way you described in your last line. And I don't agree with that mentality at all. And if people try to say, "Well yeah, but the Killer is going to talk sh*t when they see they beat a SWF so I don't want to let them know we were in a SWF," who cares what that player thinks? That Killer can p*ss off. There's little worse in a game than a sore winner.

    1 sees totem- all see totem. That totem could have been devour hope, that killer could have seen you at that totem and made sure it stayed hidden if you were a solo squad.

    Killer chases you off a gen at 90% with ruin in play, you call it out and someone close by or on a new gen takes over so the killer gets no value from their perks.

    there is plenty of simple callouts that are made by swf that change the outcome of the game.

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2492758#Comment_2492758

    1 sees totem- all see totem. That totem could have been devour hope, that killer could have seen you at that totem and made sure it stayed hidden if you were a solo squad.

    Killer chases you off a gen at 90% with ruin in play, you call it out and someone close by or on a new gen takes over so the killer gets no value from their perks.

    there is plenty of simple callouts that are made by swf that change the outcome of the game.

    While that is true, what I said is also true.

  • My question Is why not show the swfs. I usually play with a friend or two when I play survivor, I can't see a downside in showing after the match so why not?

  • @AshInTheTallGrass said:

    A lot of people chalk up their poor game experience to going against a 4 man SWF. I've been accused of being in a SWF more than once when I wasn't, so when I see posts from people saying they lost to a SWF, I wonder if those people were actually in a SWF.

    So the question is, post game, should everyone know who was in a SWF? And if so, why?

    On the one hand, thinking you were in a SWF and learning you weren't could A, help you catch and report actual cheating but B, show you that you simply weren't as skilled as those you faced, and that could help you get better as a player. (I know, I know. I've been on these forums long enough to realize that "B" is a pipe dream. It takes a lot of maturity to accept someone simply outplayed you. There always has to be a reason outside of one's own shortcomings (ex: "The map is broken"). Sometimes that is true, but realizing when it isn't true is hard. Still, I'm the type who would find it valuable.)

    But back to the question, I can think of a lot of pros and a lot of cons. And it certainly would open up a lot of questions. Should Killers get a proportionate BP bonus based on the size of the SWF, for instance? And what about those times when people play together, but aren't on comms? The game can't possibly account for that.

    So what do you think? Do you think the cons outweigh the pros? Or do the pros outweigh the cons?

    Yeah I would prefer to know after the game, especially if I got completely crushed it would at least make me feel a little better.

  • @ReviloDBD said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/279611/should-we-know-after-the-game-who-was-in-a-swf

    Yeah I would prefer to know after the game, especially if I got completely crushed it would at least make me feel a little better.

    In reading (probably all of) these responses, I'd say most people agree with you--Killer and Survivor players.

  • @wxnickxw said:

    My question Is why not show the swfs. I usually play with a friend or two when I play survivor, I can't see a downside in showing after the match so why not?

    As someone who sometimes plays SWF, I too would not mind the Killer knowing after the fact.

  • Definitely think it should be shown post-match. Pre-match is debatable, but post-match really isn't.

    I remember having a hacker in one of my matches and the killer (streamer, I was able to check his stream and hear him say this) just assumed we were all part of a SWF and reported us all as "accomplices" instead of just the actual hacker.

    It was an idiotic thing for him to do, but it wouldn't have happened if it showed the hacker was solo.

  • @LordSturm said:

    Definitely think it should be shown post-match. Pre-match is debatable, but post-match really isn't.

    I remember having a hacker in one of my matches and the killer (streamer, I was able to check his stream and hear him say this) just assumed we were all part of a SWF and reported us all as "accomplices" instead of just the actual hacker.

    It was an idiotic thing for him to do, but it wouldn't have happened if it showed the hacker was solo.

    That's an excellent point.

  • We absolutely should know after the game. There's no reason not to.

  • @Yatol said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2493563#Comment_2493563

    Basically you're saying there's no downside to OP's proposition because those who use scapegoats will do so anyway.

    There's no upside either. People who blame swfs for their lack of skill will find another scapegoat when they aren't faced against a swf, but when they are and it's revealed they went against a swf, it'll just help prove their point about why swf is basically cheating.

  • @Kaitsja said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2493890#Comment_2493890

    There's no upside either. People who blame swfs for their lack of skill will find another scapegoat when they aren't faced against a swf, but when they are and it's revealed they went against a swf, it'll just help prove their point about why swf is basically cheating.

    The upside is information, it helps to know who had access to what information. It allows to guess what happened while the killer wasn't looking. We already established that those who use scapegoat will do so anyway.

  • I absolutley think that in the POST GAME LOBBY you should have the right to know if you went against a swf or not, and if so how many of the survivors were in it, but maybe not saying what player names specifically were in it (have the screen showing what swfs you went against being different than the screen that shows all the survivor names). It's as you said, it would be good for killers to know what to attribute to their loss and what not to, and to know if they were simply outplayed or if the other team had an advantage.


    I also think those who come on the forum complaining about getting bullied by swf should somehow have to post a screenshot proving that they really did lose to a swf.


    No point in tracking whether or not they were on comms though, people will often be talking in completely different applications.

  • I'd actually advocate we know prior to the game currently, something I was against for years until now. Killer queues are now several minutes anyway at peak hours, and for higher level players the matches are so much harder, not like you can dodge anyway cause of queue times so it'd be some nice info

  • @Gitamish0 said:

    I absolutley think that in the POST GAME LOBBY you should have the right to know if you went against a swf or not, and if so how many of the survivors were in it, but maybe not saying what player names specifically were in it (have the screen showing what swfs you went against being different than the screen that shows all the survivor names). It's as you said, it would be good for killers to know what to attribute to their loss and what not to, and to know if they were simply outplayed or if the other team had an advantage.

    I also think those who come on the forum complaining about getting bullied by swf should somehow have to post a screenshot proving that they really did lose to a swf.

    No point in tracking whether or not they were on comms though, people will often be talking in completely different applications.

    All good points. At the very least, a lessening of "SWF is the only reason I lost" mentality will be nice.

  • I don't see how it could be an issue in the post game. I know for me personally if I had a rough match and saw a 4 stack I would feel better ^^"

    Also yes to killers getting additional BP for going against swf ^^

  • Sorry I skimmed a bit but was there any reason posted for why this shouldn't be a thing besides the one who said it doesn't help so don't bother putting it in?

  • @blankfaced said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2493102#Comment_2493102

    That entire post is a load of crap.

    The developers themselves have put out the stats (they're old so it's probably worse now) and only 20% of matches had no one SWFing. It doesn't take being well coordinated to faceroll a killer.

    What do most people find fun? Winning right? And what does this game consider a win? Escaping right? So the people "just playing with their pals having fun" are still sweating so they all escape whether they want to own up to it or not. (The type to claim they're not sweaty but bring 3 or 4 meta perks.)

    I agree with the last part about a separate queue for SWF but the game's player base is way too small to do that. Killers already see 10+ minute queues.

    Well according to you not many people are having fun as survivor anymore.....

    You want stats?

    Killers have been at 3+ kills for over a year now. So by your own metric they need to tone down the buff to killers and give something to the survivors. So, thanks?

    gg

  • ITs funny when one of the survivors forget to hide their friends list but they flat out deny being swf, then when you call it out they switch to "we are just playing together without coms"

  • @MikaKim said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2493267#Comment_2493267

    Well according to you not many people are having fun as survivor anymore.....

    You want stats?

    Killers have been at 3+ kills for over a year now. So by your own metric they need to tone down the buff to killers and give something to the survivors. So, thanks?

    gg

    Needed. Past tense. With mmr, well, you know, they already got to buffing killer, rofl.

  • @Barbarossa2020 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2492288#Comment_2492288

    You don't think there are advantages in game to play with friends on coms over solo and no coms?

    Just because you choose to play with your friends doesn't mean i want to. You can go into kyf all you want and have fun with your friends there.

    Swf needs to be duo only for ranked and 4 man for kyf or a casual mode.

    KYF doesn't provide BP or any way to level up so unless that changes that will never happen

  • No reason to not show this info. Some Survivors just want Killers thinking they aren't SWF and are just telepathic Gods, you aren't very impressive being a 4 man on comms.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    No reason to not show this info. Some Survivors just want Killers thinking they aren't SWF and are just telepathic Gods, you aren't very impressive being a 4 man on comms.

    To be fair, you can already tell the telepathic ones are together. Hardly need the game to confirm that.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2498044#Comment_2498044

    To be fair, you can already tell the telepathic ones are together. Hardly need the game to confirm that.

    I know, but it'd be funny to see them try and trash talk when there's a shiny lil icon that says "we're sweating super hard on Discord right now"

  • @lordfart said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2492705#Comment_2492705

    KYF doesn't provide BP or any way to level up so unless that changes that will never happen

    But isn't it about playing with your friends?

  • But how was I meant to P3 my characters in KYF? Before I switched to killer I started out as a survivor in SWF, we began exclusively doing KYF but ended up moving to public once we realised we couldn't progress our characters in any capacity in KYF

  • When you want to play with your friends you "kyf" when you want bp you play ranked solo or duo?

1 2 ›