50% louder than 0% is still zero.

Stridor makes regular breathing 25% louder and grunts of pain 50% louder. Purple Iron Will cuts grunts of pain down to 0%. I know what they mean, but it irritates me that the description for Stridor is improperly worded. Multiplying zero by any number is still going to be zero.

discuss.

Comments

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249710#Comment_2249710

    I said from the get go that I knew how it worked, but none of you listened. You only hear what you want to. I just pointed out the way math is “supposed” to work. You’re the ones arguing against the way things are taught in school, not I.

    But that statement is stupid. It's not about how "math is supposed to work" Mathematically speaking there are 2 ways to calculate it. Either one is valid and the devs have chosen to do stuff additively. This has some advantages, because when stack things additively you don't have to worry about things getting out of control when they stack. If you have 3 things that increase something by 50%, it is far less strong additvely than multiplicatively. Additively, it increases things by 150% total, multiplicatively it increases it by almost 250%.


    This allows them to not worry about things that stack from getting out of control.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249749#Comment_2249749

    Jesus Christ. There is an issue with the WORDING IN THE DESCRIPTION. My God. The only reason that I know what I know is because I looked it up. The way they describe it is completely misleading to those that know how math is supposed to work.

    No there isn't.


    It doesn't need to be the way it's supposed to work. Most games stack additively. So why shouldn't DBD?


    It makes perfect sense. They have to add percentages because it would be too confusing to do it any other way. They can't do it by meters like surveillance, because survivors make different amounts of noise. They can't do it in a multiplicative way because they would have to change too many things.

    You started an argument for no reason 😂

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I think you are reading to much into it.

    You can read the perk discription both ways. You're just choosing to read it wrong.

    While i agree it can lead to confusion it shouldn't be an issue anymore after the first post explained how it works

    It doesn't even lead to confusion unless you

    1.) Have never played any other video games that stack additively, which is pretty much a norm.

    2.) Are trying to start things for no reason.


    It's worded in a consise, but precise, way.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249746#Comment_2249746

    You ended your original post with "discuss." I don't think people really know what you want from them, so they're replying the same way they would to any other post about this topic.

    I asked "How should it be phrased to avoid confusion in the future?" I can only assume that because you didn't post an answer, it means you don't have one, so maybe that is the question you're asking everyone else to answer. But you didn't actually ask it: you just said "discuss."

    If rephrasing the perk text is not the topic you want to discuss, then I'm as baffled as everyone else. It's unreasonable to be upset at people for not answering a question you didn't ask.

    I posted an answer. I just didn’t directly quote the question.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    I think you are reading to much into it.

    You can read the perk discription both ways. You're just choosing to read it wrong.

    While i agree it can lead to confusion it shouldn't be an issue anymore after the first post explained how it works

    If a player needs to visit a superfluous site to understand, then it’s a failure on the game maker’s part. The description shouldn’t be making it confusing by giving “percentage” a different definition than actual mathematicians use. Words have meanings. Use them wrong and it leads to problems.

  • Dont worry OP, I get exactly what you're trying to say.

    Everyone else just is trying too hard to be argumentative about literally everything except what you're trying to say.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249762#Comment_2249762

    I posted an answer. I just didn’t directly quote the question.

    Ah, you mean the "concrete numbers" thing with points instead of percentages? Personally, I think that's more confusing than the percentages, but I don't know how others feel about it.

    A lot of stuff in this game is learned as you play. Survivors running tier 3 Iron Will don't hear themselves while injured... until they come across a killer running Stridor, and then they do hear themselves. They get a warning that the killer is countering their perk. They read the killer's perks on the end screen, and if they didn't already know it then they learn Stridor counters Iron Will. Unless a survivor main goes online to read about killer perks, they're really not going to know much about killer perks until they come across them in the game and they learn through experience. Whether they accept that the math is additive or come online and claim the perks are bugged depends on the person.

  • If those were multipliers, the same principle would be used for everything else. Can you imagine stacking slowdown perks that way?

  • @GannTM said:

    Well if it’s multiplied and the survivor doesn’t have Iron Will, they will have a 100x50=5000% grunts of pain. You’ll be able to literally hear them from the other side of Mother’s Dwelling if that was the case.

    I guess you aren't the best in math.

    An extra 50% for the 100 volume is:

    100x150%=100x1.50=150

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/255347/50-louder-than-0-is-still-zero

    Oh my ######### God.

    How do people still not get this?

    Things in this game stack ADDITIVELY, not MULTIPLICATIVELY.

    Yes, 0x50 is still 0, but 0+50 is 50.

    And why should it be obvious? Why should it be obvious that the percentage is calculated from original value?

    Why is it then that the order of add-ons can matter? E.g. one is adding charges the other is adding percentage. Why is there the percentage not calculated from the item value, but from item+chargeaddon?

    So no need to "oh my xxx xxx"...

  • @fogdonkey said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249468#Comment_2249468

    And why should it be obvious? Why should it be obvious that the percentage is calculated from original value?

    Why is it then that the order of add-ons can matter? E.g. one is adding charges the other is adding percentage. Why is there the percentage not calculated from the item value, but from item+chargeaddon?

    So no need to "oh my xxx xxx"...

    It is common sense. The reason that the order of add-ons matters is because of addition, actually. The first addon is added to the item, and the second is added to the first addon.

    I'm sorry, but I am tired of this logic. They always want to nerf Stridor, but instead of just SUGGESTING a nerf, they decide to go on a whole spiel on how it doesn't make sense. That OMFG was because of the logic that this guy used.

  • What a strangely pedantic thread. At least it's an amusing change from the typical "Killer camped me!" esque threads.

  • Like many said the perks are additive. Honestly both really need a slight rework in their descriptions. Drop the % because it only confuses people and instead just measure it by "points" or something to that effect.

  • 50% louder than 0% is zero, yes, but 50% louder than the base value is 150%. If the current value is 0%, then 50% louder than the base value, added to the current value of 0%, is 50% of the base value. That's what it means.

    @Massquwatt said:

    Like many said the perks are additive. Honestly both really need a slight rework in their descriptions. Drop the % because it only confuses people and instead just measure it by "points" or something to that effect.

    Or just add the phrase "of the base/default value".

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249760#Comment_2249760

    If a player needs to visit a superfluous site to understand, then it’s a failure on the game maker’s part. The description shouldn’t be making it confusing by giving “percentage” a different definition than actual mathematicians use. Words have meanings. Use them wrong and it leads to problems.

    You don't need to visit another site to understand how these perks function together

    Reduce by 100%/ 50% louder or in other words increase by 50% very clearly indicates that it's stacking additively

    Even by a logical standpoint you could see it isn't working the way you thought it was cause if stridor really worked as a multiplier then it would multiply the sound by 0.5 wich means that it would actually lower the sound which clearly isn't the case seeing how it says 50% louder

    This isn't a case of the terminology being wrong this is you misunderstanding the terminology.

    Which happens, it's not a big deal. Everybody reads something wrong sometimes. There is no reason to make a fuzz about it

  • @GannTM said:

    Well if it’s multiplied and the survivor doesn’t have Iron Will, they will have a 100x50=5000% grunts of pain. You’ll be able to literally hear them from the other side of Mother’s Dwelling if that was the case.

    Lmao the idea of stridor increasing grunts of pain to 5,000% is hilarious to me.

  • @sulaiman said:

    If those were multipliers, the same principle would be used for everything else. Can you imagine stacking slowdown perks that way?

    Uhm, that's how they worked back in the day, up to negatives...

    If you stacked enough gen repair slowdowns in 2016, survivors would start damaging the gens instead of repairing them...

    But back then you had to use Billy's chainsaw addons and keep downing peeps with it multiple times.

  • Wow, people getting mad simply because someone suggested to change the description of a perk (not nerf it) because it can be misleading.

    Gotta love DbD forums.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    Stridor makes regular breathing 25% louder and grunts of pain 50% louder. Purple Iron Will cuts grunts of pain down to 0%. I know what they mean, but it irritates me that the description for Stridor is improperly worded. Multiplying zero by any number is still going to be zero.

    discuss.

    Addition is a thing, dude.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/255347/50-louder-than-0-is-still-zero

    Oh my ######### God.

    How do people still not get this?

    Things in this game stack ADDITIVELY, not MULTIPLICATIVELY.

    Yes, 0x50 is still 0, but 0+50 is 50.

    Not always though, for example prove thyself is multiplicative, and I'm not quite sure of how multiple action speed debuffs/buffs stack (like, thana is additive with itself, but what about thana + DL, do they add up or multiply?). The numbers are so similar in either case that it doesn't really matter

  • @nursewannabe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249468#Comment_2249468

    Not always though, for example prove thyself is multiplicative, and I'm not quite sure of how multiple action speed debuffs/buffs stack (like, thana is additive with itself, but what about thana + DL, do they add up or multiply?). The numbers are so similar in either case that it doesn't really matter

    Yes, there are a few exceptions, but the majority of things stack in an additive way

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249830#Comment_2249830

    It is common sense. The reason that the order of add-ons matters is because of addition, actually. The first addon is added to the item, and the second is added to the first addon.

    I'm sorry, but I am tired of this logic. They always want to nerf Stridor, but instead of just SUGGESTING a nerf, they decide to go on a whole spiel on how it doesn't make sense. That OMFG was because of the logic that this guy used.

    Where did you read that OP wants to nerf stridor?

  • Devs do not perform buffs and debuffs in sequence. This is to avoid two modifers from over buffing or over debuffing an action. The reason being issues with addon modifiers in the past. Everthing is based on the default value and then added together.

    Say noise of pain is 100. That is the base value.

    Iron Will removes 100%.

    100 * -1 = -100
    

    Strider adds 50%.

    100 * 0.5 = 50
    

    All buffs and debuffs are combined.

    100 + (-100 + 50) = 50
    

    Ending value is 50.

  • @sulaiman said:

    If those were multipliers, the same principle would be used for everything else. Can you imagine stacking slowdown perks that way?

    That’s another solution: Just add the word “stacks” to the description of both Iron Will and Stridor. If they did that then my issues with their wording would go away. When they say “stacks” with offerings I know exactly what is meant. I know that 3 Escape Cakes is only 300%. But that said, if you are afk and get killed you get zero points, and 300% of 0 is still zero. So the use of percentages in the perk description is still a bit troublesome, but I could ignore it easier if they just said “stacks”.

  • @Mr_K said:

    Devs do not perform buffs and debuffs in sequence. This is to avoid two modifers from over buffing or over debuffing an action. The reason being issues with addon modifiers in the past. Everthing is based on the default value and then added together.

    Say noise of pain is 100. That is the base value.

    Iron Will removes 100%.

    100 * -1 = -100
    

    Strider adds 50%.

    100 * 0.5 = 50
    

    All buffs and debuffs are combined.

    100 + (-100 + 50) = 50
    

    Ending value is 50.

    You’re just repeating what others have posted ad nauseum. And you are still doing the math wrong. You’re saying Iron Will “removes 100”, NOT “removes 100%”

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2250939#Comment_2250939

    You’re just repeating what others have posted ad nauseum. And you are still doing the math wrong. You’re saying Iron Will “removes 100”, NOT “removes 100%”

    Its removing 100% of the base value.

    What you are missing is each buff and debuff are evaluated separately based on the same base value not the result of another.

  • @Mr_K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2250965#Comment_2250965

    Its removing 100% of the base value.

    What you are missing is each buff and debuff are evaluated separately based on the same base value not the result of another.

    I’m not missing it. I’ve never been missing it. The issue isn’t how it is being done, it is how it is phrased in the description. Honestly don’t know why almost none of you can see that, you just keep re-explaining things that aren’t even the point of my thread.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2250980#Comment_2250980

    I’m not missing it. I’ve never been missing it. The issue isn’t how it is being done, it is how it is phrased in the description. Honestly don’t know why almost none of you can see that, you just keep re-explaining things that aren’t even the point of my thread.

    Not everything needs to be spelled out for you. Both perks modify the same mechanic. In game you can hear your grunts of pain with both strider and IW in play. It doesn't take much more to come to the conclusion that IW's 100% isn't an overall modifier.

    It seems you are more upset it doesn't work the way you want it to than accepting the way it does.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/255347/50-louder-than-0-is-still-zero

    Oh my ######### God.

    How do people still not get this?

    Things in this game stack ADDITIVELY, not MULTIPLICATIVELY.

    Yes, 0x50 is still 0, but 0+50 is 50.

    I saw you had 68 up votes so I had to up vote to make it 69.

  • @Mr_K said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2250999#Comment_2250999

    Not everything needs to be spelled out for you. Both perks modify the same mechanic. In game you can hear your grunts of pain with both strider and IW in play. It doesn't take much more to come to the conclusion that IW's 100% isn't an overall modifier.

    It seems you are more upset it doesn't work the way you want it to than accepting the way it does.

    I’m actually not upset at all about the perk itself, but I have to admit I’m getting a little frustrated with people creating strawman arguments about things that I’m not even saying, have never said, and explicitly pointed out in the *very first post* that *I know what they mean*. I mean, sheesh. And yes, I do believe that when it comes to rules and descriptions, that everything needs to be “spelled out” explicitly. Call me crazy.

  • This entire "logic" mentality that's popped up recently is all about nerfing it.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249468#Comment_2249468

    I saw you had 68 up votes so I had to up vote to make it 69.

    😂😂

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2250870#Comment_2250870

    This entire "logic" mentality that's popped up recently is all about nerfing it.

    Says you. Don’t put words into my mouth.

  • Then don't say stupid words.

  • Ooh. Ouch. Nice comeback. Very juvenile.

  • It's more than juvenile. It's accurate.


    You started an argument for no reason whatsoever. You know how it works, so why continue this? I think that makes YOU the juvenile one here, not me.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251259#Comment_2251259

    It's more than juvenile. It's accurate.

    You started an argument for no reason whatsoever. You know how it works, so why continue this? I think that makes YOU the juvenile one here, not me.

    Stupid is not understanding what a discussion is about and getting angry about it anyways, which is what you did in your very first post here. But please, keep believing that I created the argument. Lol.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251259#Comment_2251259

    It's more than juvenile. It's accurate.

    You started an argument for no reason whatsoever. You know how it works, so why continue this? I think that makes YOU the juvenile one here, not me.

    Maybe you should give it a rest. There's have to be trolling.

  • @GannTM said:

    Well if it’s multiplied and the survivor doesn’t have Iron Will, they will have a 100x50=5000% grunts of pain. You’ll be able to literally hear them from the other side of Mother’s Dwelling if that was the case.

    It's actually hilarious how many people genuinely believe this #########, its not 100x50, its 100x.50 making it 50%. It is a multiplication. dumb dumbs

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/255347/50-louder-than-0-is-still-zero

    Oh my ######### God.

    How do people still not get this?

    Things in this game stack ADDITIVELY, not MULTIPLICATIVELY.

    Yes, 0x50 is still 0, but 0+50 is 50.

    HAHAHA are you serious, ITS NOT ADDED. ITS MULTIPLIED, the man who made this post is right ffs! You multiply by the percent or decimal. Not the whole number you big bag of donkey doodle #########. sry lol. Stridor is simply worded wrong. It needs to say adds 50% because yes stridor does add, but everything else is multiplied

  • @BigBall said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249468#Comment_2249468

    HAHAHA are you serious, ITS NOT ADDED. ITS MULTIPLIED, the man who made this post is right ffs! You multiply by the percent or decimal. Not the whole number you big bag of donkey doodle #########. sry lol. Stridor is simply worded wrong.

    Would it be mean to call you dumb?


    Everything in this game but PTS stacks additively. They add percents together to prevent situations that are hard to code, such as Stridor making injured survivors without IW 5,000% loudness.


    Stridor is worded completely right once you know how the game works.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251299#Comment_2251299

    Stupid is not understanding what a discussion is about and getting angry about it anyways, which is what you did in your very first post here. But please, keep believing that I created the argument. Lol.

    You did though. You're trying to create problems where there aren't any. Stop.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251344#Comment_2251344

    Would it be mean to call you dumb?

    Everything in this game but PTS stacks additively. They add percents together to prevent situations that are hard to code, such as Stridor making injured survivors without IW 5,000% loudness.

    Stridor is worded completely right once you know how the game works.

    oh dude, you have full right to call me anything, pls do

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251322#Comment_2251322

    You did though. You're trying to create problems where there aren't any. Stop.

    Obviously from your angry over reaction to this topic that it has come up many times before. So maybe it isn’t a problem… for you. For other people that may be new to the game it is a different matter. So instead of telling me to stop, maybe you should go to a safe space some place where certain topics won’t offend your delicate sensibilities.

  • @CoalTower said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/255347/50-louder-than-0-is-still-zero

    Oh my ######### God.

    How do people still not get this?

    Things in this game stack ADDITIVELY, not MULTIPLICATIVELY.

    Yes, 0x50 is still 0, but 0+50 is 50.

    I mean, depends on if its a debuff or a buff tho. Seperate buffs do stack additively, but debuffs are multiplied.

    Iron Will is a bit of an odd ball out, as it's not a debuff or buff to your sound, it's a change to your sound range. It's more similar to Terror Radius affecting perks and addons(Dead Rabbit, Distressing, Monitor&Abuse) than it is action affecting perks(anything involving actually pressing a button)

  • @Predated said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2249468#Comment_2249468

    I mean, depends on if its a debuff or a buff tho. Seperate buffs do stack additively, but debuffs are multiplied.

    Iron Will is a bit of an odd ball out, as it's not a debuff or buff to your sound, it's a change to your sound range. It's more similar to Terror Radius affecting perks and addons(Dead Rabbit, Distressing, Monitor&Abuse) than it is action affecting perks(anything involving actually pressing a button)

    The biggest reason why it needs to be additive for Stridor is because of different survivors being louder/quieter than others. Adding the percentage makes it more consistent.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2251363#Comment_2251363

    Obviously from your angry over reaction to this topic that it has come up many times before. So maybe it isn’t a problem… for you. For other people that may be new to the game it is a different matter. So instead of telling me to stop, maybe you should go to a safe space some place where certain topics won’t offend your delicate sensibilities.

    I'm not offended, just annoyed with this specific topic. People always try to use this "logic" to nerf Stridor. You see it in most nerf Spirit posts, which there are tons of.


    When I was new to the game I figured out how things stacked relatively quickly. And I joined when the game came out, so I didn't have more experienced players to teach me this either.

  • Most games stack percentages additively, with exceptions like Team Fortress 2.

  • @CountVampyr said:

    Stridor makes regular breathing 25% louder and grunts of pain 50% louder. Purple Iron Will cuts grunts of pain down to 0%. I know what they mean, but it irritates me that the description for Stridor is improperly worded. Multiplying zero by any number is still going to be zero.

    discuss.

    Have you tried adding instead of multiplying

1 2 3