Can BHVR just admit already that the MMR isn't happening?
The broken multiplayer is what keeps me from playing this game. I haven't played a killer match in months, and as a result I fell back to rank 17 from rank 10. After all this time I figured I would load up a game as the Wraith. Lo and behold the survivors I faced off against ranks white, green, purple, and red. Needless to say I got my ass handed to me. I truly feel sorry for brand new players.
Comments
I'm sure it is still happening, it's just taking ages.
It was announced and already collecting data in the background at the 4th year anniversary so it's been a very, very long time.
I know they announced it, but like you said that was ages ago. I honestly believe that BHVR is more committed to new content than they are fixing their game.
Hahaha they are committed to just about everything more then they are to fixing the game. I've asked a couple times about some bugs that are years old and haven't been addressed seems the general feel is the devs are extremely apathetic
Being a slow company would hold weight if they were truly an indie company, but they're not. BHVR houses over 600 employees now, and DBD is their only game. There's no reason for this game to run as poorly as it does.
To be fair.
It sounds like a really hard task to design a good MMR system for this type of game,so i can kinda understand them taking so long for ut.
It's hard to measure skill when it is all about luck. Every survivor in the game is going to score bad on the MMR if the killer is a certain killer with slowgen perks and tinkerer. Maybe they are realizing MMR won't work with how strong killers are.
True. Every game will always have their whales.
I agree that designing a proper MMR system is no doubt no easy task, but something needs to be done to ensure the longevity of this game. The game can be a blast play, but BHVR said that each match, on average, should end with two kills and two escapes. And anyone who plays this game knows that that couldn't be further from the truth.
Oh it's happening. Soon™
remember, it cant even happen really, we cannot even agree what makes a player good through just conversation, you think a program can determine it?
How long did it take them to get servers vs how long they were saying "were getting servers"? Plus once the servers got here they were terrible. Just like the MMR :P
imagine it actually is working in the background as they are claiming, learning etc but its predictions to the outcome of matches is constantly wrong which is why it cannot be used yet :P
The lack of communication and openness with their player base is what is truly frustrating about BHVR. For example, people were understandably upset about the lack of a color blind mode, yet we learned that BHVR had been working on such a mode for a while but didn't say anything. And the only reason they did was because the complaints became deafening.
The fact that complaints are what it takes to get anything out of BHVR is disheartening. Getting my ass handed to me while I learn and practice isn't exactly my idea of fun. I would gladly take a practice mode over the MMR any day. And the fact that the mobile game has one and the main game doesn't in 5 years time is ridiculous.
We can't believe anything the devs see anymore. They've been talking about cross progression for a while, but then in the last day or two I see a mod say "We don't know if/when it's going to be implemented." because they're still trying to figure it out and blah blah blah.
Well, i actually belive they have no clue how to make a good matchmaking, because they have no clue how to rate player behaviour in the game. Because its not just the actions you do, its the actions compared to everything else.
Doing a gen when someone is hooked can be as right as it can be wrong, depending on the rest of the situation. Its hard to make an algorythm to evaluate that skill, so i think it just will be ignored by the devs, and you have a matchmaking system like the emblem system, that rewards for static things, ignoring a lot of other contributing factors.
And while they say their system is reliable on predicting the outcome, the question is still what they aim for.
The goal on avarage is 2 kills 2 escape, we know that.
However, one way to achive it would be by placing a killer with 2 survivors above his skill level, and 2 below. While 2 survivors can outplay him, 2 others cant, and that might just result in a 2k 2e. However, that leads to unsatifactory games, since the good players can never really depend on the other 2, even if all escape, or none does (depending on who is found first, and how many time a killer has to spend in chases and such).
We all asume that a balanced match would be if all players are at the same skill level, but that still might not be the goal the devs aim for in matchmaking.
I think the problem wirh crossprogression is that Sony etc does not want that. BHVR would only benefit from it, so they have no reason to not do it.
I expect most games are a 2k on average already. The problem is that average is the mean of 4ks at 5 gens and 0ks in 3 minutes, the 4ks when you get paired with survivors way below your level, and the 0ks when you get stuck with red ranks. There are too many extremes, precisely because of the bad matchmaking, and as a result, everyone's MMR is going to be skewed because of the current matchmaking issues.
I believe MMR is only going to be effective when it's given a chance to run for a long time, and MMRs settle within the new matchmaking system. A 24hr test isn't going to achieve anything, it needs to run for a couple months, through its teething problems, and only then will we know how well it's working.
What are you talking about?
they said that pretty much since the first time they were talking about cross Progression.
Stadia and Steam already have it and Switch is following soon (which is taking its time).
If I'm not mistaken they said they'd put the MMR tied to every killer and your performance with them, not to rank.
I'm waiting this like a breath of fresh air. It's not fair when you raise some ranks due a win streak playing spirit and then play a weak killer or simply a new killer you just bought with which you are not experienced and being paired with the same experienced red ranks SWF as if you are playing as the spirit (for example).
This is precisely why I don't understand why DBD doesn't have a practice mode. If the mobile team can create one for it's game, there's no reason that the devs can't create one for the main game. Getting your ass handed to you while testing out the mechanics of a killer you've never played with before isn't fun in any way shape or form.
How? All it would take is linking accounts, which is something Fortnite, Rocket League, and other big games do, which are present on PS4.
Sony had to give permission for this though.
But it was supposed to be across all their platforms.
yeah and they still want it for all the platforms. Doesn’t mean they can do as they please
I figure it's on hold while they try to address negative issues. Will be great for survivor team ups but might have problems for killers and que times.
It is of course easy, but sony for example could get a disadvantage bc player buy less in the pkaystation store. Big games like Fortnite have more leverage, are willing to pay enough for that or it wouldnt mean a income decrease for sony.
Good. Killer is stressful enough as it is. I don't wanna play against sweat squads every single game.
If they got it to work, chances are you would be facing people on your own level. Does that mean there would be no "easy" games? Sure. Doe it mean you are going to constantly have to sweat and fight from behind every match? Doubtful. It all comes down to how we are defining a "sweaty" game. Me, personally, I want my matches to be hard. There is no value in the victory if the outcome wasn't in contention.
I define (although I hate the term) a "sweaty" game as one where you are clearly outmatched, are fighting from behind the entire time, and are just hoping to minimize how badly you lose. Games like that are good for you, once in a while, as they help you learn, but I agree that playing in them constantly can be a blow to one's self esteem. :)
A hard game is not necessarily a "sweaty" game. A hard game just means you and your opponents are on par with one another and you have to force mistakes out of your opponents, rather than just getting free ones. Nobody should be getting easy games, EVER. Why? Because if you are getting an easy game, it means your poor opponent(s) are the one stuck in the "sweaty" version. It means the matchmaking was bad. They should not have been in the ring with you. Does this make sense?
So, for my own part at least, I HOPE they can make MMR work. I just don't think they can.
I don't want my matches to be hard. I like being nice and I like playing suboptimally.
Unfortunately even with this attitude, the game has seen fit to assign me rank 1. Gotta play scummy to not get bullied sometimes. I do not enjoy this. Would rather not have to do it every game
And that is why the Custom Game option exists. You can play as often as you want with other people of the same view. My problem with your attitude is that it comes with the expectation that everyone should be playing "nice" or at least how you define it. That is unreasonable. The expectation in the open matches, of a PvP game, is that everyone is going to give 100%. I have no doubt that you can, with very little effort, find plenty of people to play custom matches with you and have everyone on the same page for what you all feel is acceptable and not.
And I'm not being snide or trying to pick a fight with you. I'm merely pointing out that your expectations are unrealistic and unreasonable in the general matches. They are perfectly reasonable if you get together with friends and play a custom game.
Custom games is fine so long as you have people readily available to put one together, otherwise if you're on your own then you have no option but to play the game as is. If custom games allowed you to load in bots as a way to blow off steam or to simply practice, that would be awesome.
Here is the thing; it takes all of five minutes to get some people together (even if you don't even know them) for a game. You post your intention here (or appropriate gaming venue) or go on any of the live chat options and say. "hey... I want some people for some more friendly games with these parameters" and you will get plenty of takers. How do I know? I've tried it. I assure you that your preferences are shared by others, and you will be surprised. Sometimes there are just people who want a game and don't want to deal with the Queues. You have options; it just takes a little effort. The hardest part of what I describe is turning OFF that fount of Players when you aren't in the mood for it. :)
While I agree some Bots to blow off steam or practice against for real games would be great, it isn't going to happen. It isn't cost-effective for BEhavior. So you and I will just have to make due with real people and having to <shudder> make the odd internet friends. :)
I understand MMR is not an easy thing to implement correctly, but I think they should at least allow you to change killers in lobby while we're waiting. Seriously, the only reason we can't switch killers anymore is because MMR was implemented. But it was later disabled and we couldn't change killer in lobby ever since.