The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Recently, it's been getting more and more difficult to enjoy this game and to look over the glaring issues. The Console port of DBD has shown that the game is extremely poorly optimized, and performance will continue to get worse unless BHVR addresses the issues now.

I fear that soon, the game will become unplayable for us on current-gen Consoles. Resident Evil broke the game for a month, and it still hasn't fully recovered. What this shows is that the issue is built into the game itself, and will likely continue to worsen if it is not resolved. Likewise, we are seeing the return of bugs long thought patched, which makes me suspect that the entire code is starting to crumble under the weight of the game. I hope BHVR takes the time to do this correctly and fixes their game. If they do not, I fear we will soon lose the ability to play it at all.

Here are some videos demonstrating my points, please note that these were all taken PRIOR to the RE patch in June of 2021. These issues have been plaguing Console players since the game was ported in 2017. I doubt there will ever be an official confirmation from BHVR, but it is important that we do not let these issues go silently. The only thing we can do is continue to talk and spread awareness about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl7zIxwMUn0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7p_8C649Rs&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSa8yNir8wU&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlwQc0rdiM0&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQaee-Od90&ab_channel=PulsarGaming360

August Edit: Well, we are nearing 100 pages. Congrats everyone. We still haven't gotten an answer from BHVR about what happened to Optimization, but we have inspired others to start to question it. I've furthered clarified the purpose of the thread and adjusted some of the language used in this opening statement to better reflect that.

Thank you.

Tagged: BHVRModTrusted

Comments

  • Oni, Pyramid, Plague, Bubba and Hillbilly are all playable again. Don't know why but (at least for me) performance has improved a bit.

    Today I've actually seen one of the cleanest Dead Hards in months (skip to 0:24):

    https://youtu.be/AVGLg4UEn1M


  • Does anyone else think that status effect icons poping up cause more problems than actual perks?

  • @Shaped said:

    Does anyone else think that status effect icons poping up cause more problems than actual perks?

    So I think the the status effect itself is causing the issues, the icon popping up is just letting us know WHAT status effect is causing it. Like a survivor using Dead Hard they are the one that gets the icon popping up on their screen but the exhaustion status going into effect will cause issues for the killer. Or when someone across the map gets hit with Sloppy I get a drop but the icon is on their screen. I think basically the match is freezing for a second while the game finds and loads in the status effect. If it was just the icon they had acknowledged before the UI change that they knew status effects caused FPS drops, if UI was built from scratch as they claimed then would think that would've been something they should've fixed during that rework.

  • They sure seem to be distracting the community with all the letter find hype. I hope people that are not satisfied with performance still speak with their wallets and we can put some pressure on BHVR to make performance improvements their top priority.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I haven't seen any improvement in performance.

    How unsurprisingly disappointing.

    It’s starting to get worse for me again. Ugh this is like so depressing.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2418066#Comment_2418066

    It’s starting to get worse for me again. Ugh this is like so depressing.

    It feels worse after the hotfix for me. I am getting pretty bad freezes in my games.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2420488#Comment_2420488

    It feels worse after the hotfix for me. I am getting pretty bad freezes in my games.

    I think it might get even worse in future DLC updates...

  • @Red_Beard said:

    They sure seem to be distracting the community with all the letter find hype. I hope people that are not satisfied with performance still speak with their wallets and we can put some pressure on BHVR to make performance improvements their top priority.

    I wanted to buy some things but since the game is not working properly it comes naturally to me to not buy anything.

    I mean I don't play a lot for the same reason so why should I invest in a game that I don't play much.

    A lot of people on last gen still play a lot tho, and they invest in it because they are hooked. It is sad but it is their choice to support bhvr.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2420257#Comment_2420257

    I wanted to buy some things but since the game is not working properly it comes naturally to me to not buy anything.

    I mean I don't play a lot for the same reason so why should I invest in a game that I don't play much.

    A lot of people on last gen still play a lot tho, and they invest in it because they are hooked. It is sad but it is their choice to support bhvr.

    I’m one of those ppl that still spend money in the game for that reason because I love the game so much.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2420522#Comment_2420522

    I think it might get even worse in future DLC updates...

    It will.

    Eventually, the game won't work at all.

  • I'm just accepting they can't fix the game anymore.

    There's so much content right now that it's impossible for them to fix all the spaguetti coded features of the game.

    They will try to milk the game with the dlcs and cosmetics, maybe a fix here and there. And life goes on.

  • It feels like we're already 65% there...

  • More like 90%.

    RE almost broke it.

  • Game is on the verge of dying again. Time to go play Outer Worlds and other single player story games

  • I’m worried with how worse it might get, BHVR might stop supporting last gen console in the near future. I’m probably wrong about that but... I just can’t see us getting what we’ve been asking for.

  • @WishIcouldmain said:

    Game is on the verge of dying again. Time to go play Outer Worlds and other single player story games

    I've been playing Outer Worlds, just started second DLC. Played that and Borderlands 3 a bunch while DBD was unplayable.

    Next time DBD becomes unplayable I'll be calling it quits. Performance just keeps getting worse. DBD has already been unplayable due to performance issues from patches twice now, one more and that'll be 3 strikes I'm out. The "only game of its kind" doesn't really matter if I keep being unable to play it due to performance issues. Back 4 Blood's Turtle Rock Studios has 125 employees and their beta with so much going on had 0 performance issues for me yet 5 year old DBD's BHVR with 600 employees can't get performance issues under control with 5 players and very little happening.

  • Getting huge freezes again on PS4. Anytime someone uses DH, drops a pallet, or I get a hit while playing as killer the game freezes for the duration of the action.

    Happened as oni and demo so far.

    I have video.

    I thought this ######### was supposed to be fixed!

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421144#Comment_2421144

    I've been playing Outer Worlds, just started second DLC. Played that and Borderlands 3 a bunch while DBD was unplayable.

    Next time DBD becomes unplayable I'll be calling it quits. Performance just keeps getting worse. DBD has already been unplayable due to performance issues from patches twice now, one more and that'll be 3 strikes I'm out. The "only game of its kind" doesn't really matter if I keep being unable to play it due to performance issues. Back 4 Blood's Turtle Rock Studios has 125 employees and their beta with so much going on had 0 performance issues for me yet 5 year old DBD's BHVR with 600 employees can't get performance issues under control with 5 players and very little happening.

    "Back 4 Blood's Turtle Rock Studios has 125 employees and their beta with so much going on had 0 performance issues for me yet 5 year old DBD's BHVR with 600 employees can't get performance issues under control with 5 players and very little happening."

    This is actually incredibly sad info to learn.

  • @XombieRocker said:

    Getting huge freezes again on PS4. Anytime someone uses DH, drops a pallet, or I get a hit while playing as killer the game freezes for the duration of the action.

    Happened as oni and demo so far.

    I have video.

    I thought this ######### was supposed to be fixed!

    I'm in ps4 too and as survivor I'm getting so many freezes too, doesn't matter which killer I'm facing. Unhooks I'm getting freezes even when I'm not near it happening. The freezes from triggers feel so much worse. Whatever they did in that hotfix hurt performance.

  • Seeing those clips from @ocafghanistan and reading the stories after the 5.1.1 patch, I'm so glad I took a break from this game (since the rift is really lacking good things this time).

    And if I'm honest, I don't even miss this game at all. I thought I would have an urge to play it after a week, but I have not. I started up the game last week on tuesday, I couldn't even get bothered to get past the main menu and start up a game as killer or survivor. I just closed the game and played RDR2 instead.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421144#Comment_2421144

    I've been playing Outer Worlds, just started second DLC. Played that and Borderlands 3 a bunch while DBD was unplayable.

    Next time DBD becomes unplayable I'll be calling it quits. Performance just keeps getting worse. DBD has already been unplayable due to performance issues from patches twice now, one more and that'll be 3 strikes I'm out. The "only game of its kind" doesn't really matter if I keep being unable to play it due to performance issues. Back 4 Blood's Turtle Rock Studios has 125 employees and their beta with so much going on had 0 performance issues for me yet 5 year old DBD's BHVR with 600 employees can't get performance issues under control with 5 players and very little happening.

    Ouch, well, that's just embarassing to be honest. How can a dev team with 600 employees not get a team dedicated to console health, you don't even have to hire a new team for that I think, dedicate a small portion of the dev team towards the console part of this game.

  • @1miko said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2421288#Comment_2421288

    "Back 4 Blood's Turtle Rock Studios has 125 employees and their beta with so much going on had 0 performance issues for me yet 5 year old DBD's BHVR with 600 employees can't get performance issues under control with 5 players and very little happening."

    This is actually incredibly sad info to learn.

    Right? Granted I got the employee number from wiki so if someone has another source to prove it wrong feel free to share, but I'm going with the number I could find.

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    Seeing those clips from @ocafghanistan and reading the stories after the 5.1.1 patch, I'm so glad I took a break from this game (since the rift is really lacking good things this time).

    And if I'm honest, I don't even miss this game at all. I thought I would have an urge to play it after a week, but I have not. I started up the game last week on tuesday, I couldn't even get bothered to get past the main menu and start up a game as killer or survivor. I just closed the game and played RDR2 instead.

    Kinda same tbh. I mean I try but I get burned out really fast because of the issues. It makes me play other games instead after a match or two.

    And I love how some people on pc and next gen act like bhvr is perfect company because the game works on their system ignoring our problems and attacking everyone who says anything bad about the company.

    Talk about lack of empathy and ignorance. We struggled since the game came on our platforms but now it is becoming unplayable and they act like it is not an issue or minor one.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422625#Comment_2422625

    Kinda same tbh. I mean I try but I get burned out really fast because of the issues. It makes me play other games instead after a match or two.

    And I love how some people on pc and next gen act like bhvr is perfect company because the game works on their system ignoring our problems and attacking everyone who says anything bad about the company.

    Talk about lack of empathy and ignorance. We struggled since the game came on our platforms but now it is becoming unplayable and they act like it is not an issue or minor one.

    Yeah, I can't remember a time that the game ran well.

  • The silent bug (where a survivor makes no sound on the floor) has been in the game almost since beta.

    The devs don't care.

  • @themirrortwin said:

    The silent bug (where a survivor makes no sound on the floor) has been in the game almost since beta.

    The devs don't care.

    I believe they do but they get cockblocked and forced into working on new content because improving and fixing the game won't bring new players/get a lot of people who left the game back on it since you can't really trust this company anymore after their terrible history.

  • the best we can do is stop buying dlcs and STOP playing the game until they fix it. It's our best way to protest how bad it is

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422625#Comment_2422625

    Kinda same tbh. I mean I try but I get burned out really fast because of the issues. It makes me play other games instead after a match or two.

    And I love how some people on pc and next gen act like bhvr is perfect company because the game works on their system ignoring our problems and attacking everyone who says anything bad about the company.

    Talk about lack of empathy and ignorance. We struggled since the game came on our platforms but now it is becoming unplayable and they act like it is not an issue or minor one.

    I'm on PC and I have issues. I have well above the recommended specs too. After they did the performance update the game was feeling better. But recently it started running really choppy again. I just got out of a Lery's match that was stuttering so much it started giving me a headache. And this is a map they specifically targeted with their update.

    I also hate how they have completely quit communicating about this again. And whenever someone points it out, they get the "we already acknowledged it" crap. Yeah, we know you acknowledged it. Give us some more information on what you are doing to fix it and when you plan to push out the next fix attempts so we can decide if this game is going to be worth our time.

  • Flashbangs are currently the strongest thing in the game at the moment because my screen literally freezes for 2-3 seconds on top of being blinded and stunned every time one is used. Might as well call the perk atom bomb.

  • people are so excited to find out about the new DLC and i’m just sitting here freaking out about how this game might run when it comes out.

  • @Nathan13 said:

    people are so excited to find out about the new DLC and i’m just sitting here freaking out about how this game might run when it comes out.

    Poorly, most likely

  • @Nathan13 said:

    people are so excited to find out about the new DLC and i’m just sitting here freaking out about how this game might run when it comes out.

    Oh it's definitely going to have performance issues, especially if they don't include anything in the chapter patch to even try and fix the performance issues. After the hotfix the game is already almost back to it's unplayable RE state so I will be shocked if performance actually improves with this chapter instead of just going back to unplayable like it was with RE.

  • @Red_Beard said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2422675#Comment_2422675

    I'm on PC and I have issues. I have well above the recommended specs too. After they did the performance update the game was feeling better. But recently it started running really choppy again. I just got out of a Lery's match that was stuttering so much it started giving me a headache. And this is a map they specifically targeted with their update.

    I also hate how they have completely quit communicating about this again. And whenever someone points it out, they get the "we already acknowledged it" crap. Yeah, we know you acknowledged it. Give us some more information on what you are doing to fix it and when you plan to push out the next fix attempts so we can decide if this game is going to be worth our time.

    Sorry to hear that, I wonder if they will ever get their act together.

  • They should just put notes about freezing console players in the notes for flashing and deadhard.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2426214#Comment_2426214

    Oh it's definitely going to have performance issues, especially if they don't include anything in the chapter patch to even try and fix the performance issues. After the hotfix the game is already almost back to it's unplayable RE state so I will be shocked if performance actually improves with this chapter instead of just going back to unplayable like it was with RE.

    Maybe then it's time for me to hang up the boots with this game. I mean, they had 3 months time to fix it, still can't do it.

    I still don't miss dbd from my break, so hopefully I can step out of the fog.

  • @SloppyVoldemort said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2426341#Comment_2426341

    Maybe then it's time for me to hang up the boots with this game. I mean, they had 3 months time to fix it, still can't do it.

    I still don't miss dbd from my break, so hopefully I can step out of the fog.

    They've had a lot longer than that.

  • It is inexcusable and is literally, not figuratively, LITERALLY unplayable. Devs, have some pride and fix this already. No one will get excited for new DLC if they can't play the damn game. Fix it.

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    It is inexcusable and is literally, not figuratively, LITERALLY unplayable. Devs, have some pride and fix this already. No one will get excited for new DLC if they can't play the damn game. Fix it.

    Sometimes I think they are incapable of fixing it. Or it requires more effort than they like. Or they see it as not profitable because they obviously earn enough still with hyping everyone up with dlcs.

    Or everything mentioned.


    They tried something but honestly it wasn't close to enough. I really liked dbd and I played it on and off for 3 years but unless I upgrade, the appeal of the game is fading for me.

    I think about the game and still like it but playing it on my platform is bad experience no matter how much I love it.

  • With every update, the fans on my PS4 run louder and longer. DbD is the only game that makes the fans run. It used to be just the "press x to continue" and offering screens that turned the fans into jet engines, but then it spread to the Survivor and Killer menus, and now the fans are running all the time during matches. It obscures the game audio! I even opened the console up and cleaned the fan, but that didn't help.

    The Switch runs silent but the framerate is super choppy and killer is damn near unplayable. My PS4 has an SSD attached so DbD runs smoothly, but the fans are so damn loud it's actually become a problem. It's really unacceptable.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    With every update, the fans on my PS4 run louder and longer. DbD is the only game that makes the fans run. It used to be just the "press x to continue" and offering screens that turned the fans into jet engines, but then it spread to the Survivor and Killer menus, and now the fans are running all the time during matches. It obscures the game audio! I even opened the console up and cleaned the fan, but that didn't help.

    The Switch runs silent but the framerate is super choppy and killer is damn near unplayable. My PS4 has an SSD attached so DbD runs smoothly, but the fans are so damn loud it's actually become a problem. It's really unacceptable.

    The fans on my ps4 are so loud with DBD, about as loud as the AC in the room. Nothing else causes the fans to react like that - no other games, no streaming apps, not the ps store, nothing. My husband has turned off my ps4 when I've had DBD up but I left the room for a bit because he thought it sounded like it was going to die if it kept going.

  • @bm33 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427456#Comment_2427456

    The fans on my ps4 are so loud with DBD, about as loud as the AC in the room. Nothing else causes the fans to react like that - no other games, no streaming apps, not the ps store, nothing. My husband has turned off my ps4 when I've had DBD up but I left the room for a bit because he thought it sounded like it was going to die if it kept going.

    Yeah, it's becoming such a problem, I get more and more worried my PS4 is going to overheat. DbD's fog and smoke effects have always been the big things that set it off, but now the fans get loud even when there's not a lot of fog on a map.

    Players have been reporting for years that the fans on the PS4 get loud on the menu and offering screens, and BHVR has done nothing. Seriously, they couldn't fix the opening menu screen? No game should be resource heavy on a menu screen. Ugh, that just ticks me off.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427524#Comment_2427524

    Yeah, it's becoming such a problem, I get more and more worried my PS4 is going to overheat. DbD's fog and smoke effects have always been the big things that set it off, but now the fans get loud even when there's not a lot of fog on a map.

    Players have been reporting for years that the fans on the PS4 get loud on the menu and offering screens, and BHVR has done nothing. Seriously, they couldn't fix the opening menu screen? No game should be resource heavy on a menu screen. Ugh, that just ticks me off.

    The only solution is using headset unfortunately. But headset is kinda must for this game anyway.

    Fan noise happens in some other games too tho but I think in dbd it goes ridiculously loud.


    I dunno if you should be worried about your ps4 dying because I played a lot of games on mine since 2017 including dbd in very long sessions and nothing ever happened. I probably gamed more than average person even when I was working 6 days a week.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427524#Comment_2427524

    Yeah, it's becoming such a problem, I get more and more worried my PS4 is going to overheat. DbD's fog and smoke effects have always been the big things that set it off, but now the fans get loud even when there's not a lot of fog on a map.

    Players have been reporting for years that the fans on the PS4 get loud on the menu and offering screens, and BHVR has done nothing. Seriously, they couldn't fix the opening menu screen? No game should be resource heavy on a menu screen. Ugh, that just ticks me off.

    Between performance issues and the fans sounding like they're trying to blow up my ps4 it keeps any DBD sessions of mine very short - maybe an hour or two at most, sometimes only couple matches. I end out only playing maybe couple times a week because I don't want to deal with performance issues or push my luck with the way my ps4 sounds while DBD is going.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    With every update, the fans on my PS4 run louder and longer. DbD is the only game that makes the fans run. It used to be just the "press x to continue" and offering screens that turned the fans into jet engines, but then it spread to the Survivor and Killer menus, and now the fans are running all the time during matches. It obscures the game audio! I even opened the console up and cleaned the fan, but that didn't help.

    The Switch runs silent but the framerate is super choppy and killer is damn near unplayable. My PS4 has an SSD attached so DbD runs smoothly, but the fans are so damn loud it's actually become a problem. It's really unacceptable.

    I only play DBD with one of those huge table fans directly into my PS4 or otherwise the console fans also get really loud. My advice is that you do something similar to what I did or just don't play the game if the fans are really that loud, you're killing your console really fast this way.

  • @Shaped said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427643#Comment_2427643

    The only solution is using headset unfortunately. But headset is kinda must for this game anyway.

    Fan noise happens in some other games too tho but I think in dbd it goes ridiculously loud.

    I dunno if you should be worried about your ps4 dying because I played a lot of games on mine since 2017 including dbd in very ling sessions and nothing ever happened. I probably games more than average person even when I was working 6 days a week.

    DbD is the only game that sets my PS4 Pro's fans off. No other game does. That's why I get worried. I don't even hear a soft whisper of the fans with other games. With DbD, I'm starting to feel lucky when the fans are a loud whisper because the other option is the machine sounding like a jet engine.

    I wear open head phones. Oh man, I'd love a noise-cancelling headset, but besides the cost another prohibitive factor is that I live with an elderly person who needs constant care. That's part of what makes the loud fans so frustrating, because they can get loud enough to drown out other noises in the house, and if that person falls and I don't hear it that's really bad.

    So yeah, there are multiple reasons I'm vocal about BHVR needing to fix this issue.


    @GrimoireWeiss said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427456#Comment_2427456

    I only play DBD with one of those huge table fans directly into my PS4 or otherwise the console fans also get really loud. My advice is that you do something similar to what I did or just don't play the game if the fans are really that loud, you're killing your console really fast this way.

    Ugh, god, this is what I'm afraid of. I like my console. [BAD WORD]. Maybe I'll look into getting a cooling pad for it.


    BHVR, I shouldn't have to buy a cooling pad and SSD just for your game.

    These issues with DbD aren't normal issues. It's not the console. The problem is your game, the one people have been saying needs optimization for years, and it's gotten worse.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427655#Comment_2427655

    DbD is the only game that sets my PS4 Pro's fans off. No other game does. That's why I get worried. I don't even hear a soft whisper of the fans with other games. With DbD, I'm starting to feel lucky when the fans are a loud whisper because the other option is the machine sounding like a jet engine.

    I wear open head phones. Oh man, I'd love a noise-cancelling headset, but besides the cost another prohibitive factor is that I live with an elderly person who needs constant care. That's part of what makes the loud fans so frustrating, because they can get loud enough to drown out other noises in the house, and if that person falls and I don't hear it that's really bad.

    So yeah, there are multiple reasons I'm vocal about BHVR needing to fix this issue.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427674#Comment_2427674

    Ugh, god, this is what I'm afraid of. I like my console. [BAD WORD]. Maybe I'll look into getting a cooling pad for it.

    BHVR, I shouldn't have to buy a cooling pad and SSD just for your game.

    These issues with DbD aren't normal issues. It's not the console. The problem is your game, the one people have been saying needs optimization for years, and it's gotten worse.

    DBD: Exists

    PS4:

    primary.jpg


  • @TragicSolitude said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427524#Comment_2427524

    Yeah, it's becoming such a problem, I get more and more worried my PS4 is going to overheat. DbD's fog and smoke effects have always been the big things that set it off, but now the fans get loud even when there's not a lot of fog on a map.

    Players have been reporting for years that the fans on the PS4 get loud on the menu and offering screens, and BHVR has done nothing. Seriously, they couldn't fix the opening menu screen? No game should be resource heavy on a menu screen. Ugh, that just ticks me off.

    Seems like BHVR wants an IRL overheat mechanic for your console 🤣

  • @OniWantsYourMacaroni said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2427643#Comment_2427643

    Seems like BHVR wants an IRL overheat mechanic for your console 🤣

    Lamo that's a good one

1 … 53 54 55 56 57 … 82