Who is the most balanced killer in the game?

I think we all know how everyone feels about killers like Nurse, Spirit, and Freddy. These killers are the epitome of unbalanced as Nurse breaks the game, Spirit has no counter and takes like 2 brain cells to master, and Freddy is like Spirit to a lesser extent, except at least he can be looped.

Let’s just sit back and think to ourselves, which killer defines what every other killer should strive to be in terms of balance and game health? When we say balance, we mainly talk about a killer that offers fun and exciting gameplay from both sides where it actually feels like an interactive multiplayer game.

In my opinion, the most perfect killer in terms of game balance is Hillbilly, and I would assume a lot others will agree with me on that. Hillbilly is a very strong killer as he has a one-shot ability, amazing map mobility, and has add ons that can enhance his strengths. Even though he may be a strong killer, he has reasonable counterplay on the survivor side with a very high skill ceiling. There’s a lot that goes into playing as and against Hillbilly that it feels so rewarding to play as him and against him. Hillbilly never deserved the overheat nerf. His insta saw add ons needed the nerf as that was the only thing that kept Hillbilly from being a well-rounded balanced killer, but they’ve been removed so it’s not that big of a deal anymore. Other killers that I believe fall in the same category with Hillbilly of being strong but fair for both sides are Huntress, Blight (without J-flick), Demo, Oni, and even the new Wraith, even though he may not be as strong as others.

I wanted to create this thread because I think the devs need to take time to look at these balanced killers and analyze why they are so fundamentally balanced when they design new killers or rework current killers. I don’t want killers like Spirit nerfed to the ground as I really like the concept of her power of turning invisible and tracking by audio, but she certainly needs a serious rebalance that takes both sides into account.

Comments

  • @Brub said:

    Its hard to say but I think Oni is defiantly one. He is very easy to counter in that survivors must be safe and use resources early on in the game. However, if oni chases enough and gets hits he has an actually affective power (sorry main event) and can punish survivors for feeding him. His flick however still has a skill cap, and is actually easily avoidable in some loops. Hes still m1 out of his power, he can be countered by playing safe, however his power rewards him for getting hits and thus making him more aggressive.

    I think you are probably right. Oni, Freddy, huntress without iri stuff and toolbelt. All balanced imo

  • honestly i believe the most balance killer would be either deathslinger, hag, legion, ghost-face or blight I honestly can have games where its both interesting and insanely fun (albeit rare). For absolute balance i would say blight, because you can get kills without absolutely dominating the game

  • @Brub said:

    Its hard to say but I think Oni is defiantly one. He is very easy to counter in that survivors must be safe and use resources early on in the game. However, if oni chases enough and gets hits he has an actually affective power (sorry main event) and can punish survivors for feeding him. His flick however still has a skill cap, and is actually easily avoidable in some loops. Hes still m1 out of his power, he can be countered by playing safe, however his power rewards him for getting hits and thus making him more aggressive.

    I agree with that. Oni is a very strong killer but is one of my favorites to play as and against because he rewards skillful play and has counters on the survivor side.

  • The ideal killer in my opinion are billy, oni, Deathslinger and blight

    Billy is pretty much what you said

    Oni has an insanely strong power but has to work hard to get it

    Deathslinger might be controversial but he is a specialist. He does well in chase but his map pressure lacks. I think he needs a bit mor counterplay mid chase but otherwise is well made

    Blight besides J flicks has great mobility and anti loop but survivors who know where to loop him can do well against him

  • @MerryJuanNa said:

    honestly i believe the most balance killer would be either deathslinger, hag, legion, ghost-face or blight I honestly can have games where its both interesting and insanely fun (albeit rare). for the Absolute most balance i would say blight, because you can get kills without absolutely dominating the game

    Thank you for agreeing Blight is balanced. I see many people complaining about him but the only problem I can agree he has is the J-flick which is being removed.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    The ideal killer in my opinion are billy, oni, Deathslinger and blight

    Billy is pretty much what you said

    Oni has an insanely strong power but has to work hard to get it

    Deathslinger might be controversial but he is a specialist. He does well in chase but his map pressure lacks. I think he needs a bit mor counterplay mid chase but otherwise is well made

    Blight besides J flicks has great mobility and anti loop but survivors who know where to loop him can do well against him

    I can understand the Deathslinger opinion. He’s not OP and has a high skill ceiling. I just hate how he can instant ADS and there’s not much counterplay for survivors, which is why I don’t think he’s super balanced in terms of game design.

  • @BrokenSouI said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/241501/who-is-the-most-balanced-killer-in-the-game

    Gotta admit. I stopped reading after you said freddy was like spirit 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Freddy isn't even that bad to go against

    Well that’s your opinion lmao

  • " we mainly talk about a killer that offers fun and exciting gameplay from both sides where it actually feels like an interactive multiplayer game."

    Alright, if you had asked this question a long time ago, my answer would have been Billy. Old Billy was, without a shadow of doubt, the most balanced killer in the game. The only OP thing about him was insta-saw, and even that is debatable.

    Nowadays, I think I have to go with Oni, because he is basically Billy but with extra steps.

  • @GeneralV said:

    " we mainly talk about a killer that offers fun and exciting gameplay from both sides where it actually feels like an interactive multiplayer game."

    Alright, if you had asked this question a long time ago, my answer would have been Billy. Old Billy was, without a shadow of doubt, the most balanced killer in the game. The only OP thing about him was insta-saw, and even that is debatable.

    Nowadays, I think I have to go with Oni, because he is basically Billy but with extra steps.

    I think new Billy is still very balanced I just think the nerf was so unnecessary.

  • @MerryJuanNa said:

    honestly i believe the most balance killer would be either deathslinger, hag, legion, ghost-face or blight I honestly can have games where its both interesting and insanely fun (albeit rare). for the Absolute most balance i would say blight, because you can get kills without absolutely dominating the game

    Why Legion and GhostFace?

    They are objectively bad to mid Killers.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096121#Comment_2096121

    I can understand the Deathslinger opinion. He’s not OP and has a high skill ceiling. I just hate how he can instant ADS and there’s not much counterplay for survivors, which is why I don’t think he’s super balanced in terms of game design.

    He could definitely use some tweaking but he’s pretty much nurse if they were balanced

  • I think practice makes every killer or survivor balanced I really don't overthink about tier or unbalanced I justice go and what happens happens I main Pig and Demo those are considered very low tier by community however I 4k most of times with them practice makes it perfect and for those who are new to killer pls choose ur main based on how fun they are to u not how powerful they are

  • Demo is a very nice middle-of-the-line killer. Nothing outrageous, not too weak.

  • @justbecause said:

    I think practice makes every killer or survivor balanced I really don't overthink about tier or unbalanced I justice go and what happens happens I main Pig and Demo those are considered very low tier by community however I 4k most of times with them practice makes it perfect and for those who are new to killer pls choose ur main based on how fun they are to u not how powerful they are

    I see what you mean but when we mean balance we mean killers that offer fun and healthy gameplay for both sides. Killers like Spirit don’t have that.

  • @ShamelessPigMain said:

    Demo is a very nice middle-of-the-line killer. Nothing outrageous, not too weak.

    And Demo is just a good boy.

  • I’d say the most balanced killers in the game are Oni, Blight and Huntress. There the definition of how to make a strong killer while being balanced

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    I’d say the most balanced killers in the game are Oni, Blight and Huntress. There the definition of how to make a strong killer while being balanced

    That’s very true. I love playing as Oni and Blight a lot as well and the fact they’re fun to go against makes me not hesitant to play them. I would say Huntress too but good lord my Huntress gameplay is atrocious.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096157#Comment_2096157

    That’s very true. I love playing as Oni and Blight a lot as well and the fact they’re fun to go against makes me not hesitant to play them. I would say Huntress too but good lord my Huntress gameplay is atrocious.

    I say huntress because even though I hate versing her she is fun to use to throw hatchets across the map and snipe my only problem with her is the hit boxes

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096128#Comment_2096128

    I think new Billy is still very balanced I just think the nerf was so unnecessary.

    Agreed. But the nerf did make him a little bit weaker, therefore losing some of his potential. In my opinion, that is what makes Oni more balanced than Billy.

    @Brub said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096128#Comment_2096128

    Billy with add-ons was not balanced. base-kit Billy was 100% balanced

    Like I said, it is debatable. I've seen insta-saw Billys getting destroyed by good teams, and I've seen insta-saw Billys win with 5 gens left.

  • @Chilli_man2400 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096160#Comment_2096160

    I say huntress because even though I hate versing her she is fun to use to throw hatchets across the map and snipe my only problem with her is the hit boxes

    The hit boxes are annoying but that’s more on the game’s coding rather than the fundamental design of a killer. If it weren’t for the hitboxes and if she didn’t have Iri Head + Infantry Belt, Huntress is a very well-rounded killer. I find myself showing respect to good Huntresses that I go against.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096132#Comment_2096132

    Agreed. But the nerf did make him a little bit weaker, therefore losing some of his potential. In my opinion, that is what makes Oni more balanced than Billy.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096146#Comment_2096146

    Like I said, it is debatable. I've seen insta-saw Billys getting destroyed by good teams, and I've seen insta-saw Billys win with 5 gens left.

    That’s a good point. Honestly, they should just remove the overheat and keep his current add ons the same as they are.

  • Oni for sure, his power has a decently high skill cap, is very rewarding, and can be countered.

  • Ironically the killers most people like to call “unbalanced” are the only killers that stand a fair chance of winning against equally good survivors. Most the killers people have listed here require lots of survivor mistakes to win and will lose against equally good survivors. “Balanced” to me is having a fair chance of winning against equally good survivors. Very few killers meet that criteria. The level and ease of counter play that most people want in a killer to call them fair is simply unviable if the survivor group is good. If you want to specify most balanced against the “average” survivor then that’s a completely different question and answer.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096167#Comment_2096167

    That’s a good point. Honestly, they should just remove the overheat and keep his current add ons the same as they are.

    Overheat mechanic must go, but he might need another add-on pass. Some of them are useless.

  • @Yords said:

    Oni for sure, his power has a decently high skill cap, is very rewarding, and can be countered.

    I am so of that opinion as well. I love Oni because of him being fun to play as and against. I can respect really good Oni players. Also, Oni came out on the same DLC as the best survivor so that makes him even better.

  • Most balanced:

    Freddy without forever build. Not very strong, but has a lot of small tools that give him powerful and consistent kit which has a lot of counterplay.

    Oni (any addons). Most balanced power burst kind of killer.

    Blight. Most balanced skill limited killer.

    Most unbalanced (strong):

    Nurse is very good on one hand, but extremely awful to play because of her bugs.

    Spirit is just very inconsistent (as every time you miss your phase walk you kinda lose a lot of time and missing it isn't very difficult, especially against survivors of your skill), but horribly effective when she works.

    Most unbalanced (weak):

    Trickster (pre-buff, maybe even post buff) - can't finish chases fast, lacks any map pressure, is supposed to be power burst killer but isn't because main event is #########.

  • @Blueberry said:

    Ironically the killers most people like to call “unbalanced” are the only killers that stand a fair chance of winning against equally good survivors. Most the killers people have listed here require lots of survivor mistakes to win and will lose against equally good survivors. “Balanced” to me is having a fair chance of winning against equally good survivors. Very few killers meet that criteria. The level and ease of counter play that most people want in a killer to call them fair is simply unviable if the survivor group is good. If you want to specifics most balanced against the “average” survivor then that’s a completely different question and answer.

    Blight and Oni are very strong killers that can beat good teams but they’re also fundamentally balanced.

  • @Profezia said:

    Freddy without forever build.

    Oni (any addons)

    Blight.

    Nurse is very good on one hand, but extremely awful to play because of her bugs.

    Spirit is just very inconsistent (as every time you miss your phase walk you kinda lose a lot of time and missing it isn't very difficult, especially against survivors of your skill), but horribly effective when she works.

    Nurse just needs a serious overhaul.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096185#Comment_2096185

    Blight and Oni are very strong killers that can beat good teams but they’re also fundamentally balanced.

    No they don’t. They both require ample survivor mistakes.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096176#Comment_2096176

    Overheat mechanic must go, but he might need another add-on pass. Some of them are useless.

    Like the one that makes him 4.4. Who thought that add on would actually be used?

  • Billy, Blight, & Oni are the most balanced imo.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096195#Comment_2096195

    No they don’t. They both require ample survivor mistakes.

    Oni in the early game does a little, but a good player will get that first hit quickly and once they do, Oni will be able to get his power going and start the snowballing process.

  • @OGlilSPOOK20 said:

    Billy, Blight, & Oni are the most balanced imo.

    Agreed. Huntress too.

  • She needs either a complete rework (For example - give her an ability to steal a breath from a downed survivor, thus making her blink power stronger and make survivor slowly become "undead" - over span of 300 seconds they lose hearing completely except the ability to hear Nurse's blinks, stop bleeding and stop feeling pain and thus stop making noises of pain, which will result in Nurse being effective STEALTH killer in the late game as well as possessing powerful chasing tool (2 blinks no cd at 4 breaths) which has built in counterplay as she can't hear survivors).

    OR she needs her CD nerf reverted and bugs fixed. Nothing would really change, but at least she'll be bearable to play.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096186#Comment_2096186

    Like the one that makes him 4.4. Who thought that add on would actually be used?

    Who knows? Probably someone who never understood Billy in the first place.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096199#Comment_2096199

    Oni in the early game does a little, but a good player will get that first hit quickly and once they do, Oni will be able to get his power going and start the snowballing process.

    S tier is viable against equally good survivors. Oni and Blight are not S tier. A tier requires at least some survivors mistakes to capitalize on. To beat an efficient team with either of them you will be slugging and that team will have 4 Unbreakables and probably at least 1 WGLF. IE you will be forced to be one hooking each of them one by one. Playing that way is literally unviable when you add up the time for your objective compared to theirs.

  • @SallySlugson said:

    Nurse. She's only as good as the person playing her, and although she is the best killer in the game, she has reasonable counterplay.

    A good Nurse doesn’t really have counterplay. Anything below that though, she does have counterplay. It’s just Nurse takes so much skill and practice to get good with that it doesn’t seem to be that bad, but she breaks the game and ignores all survivors’ defenses.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096204#Comment_2096204

    S tier is viable against equally good survivors. Oni and Blight are not S tier. A tier requires at least some survivors mistakes to capitalize on. To beat an efficient team with either of them you will be slugging and that team will have 4 Unbreakables and probably at least 1 WGLF. IE you will be forced to be one hooking each of them one by one. Playing that way is literally unviable when you add up the time for your objective compared to theirs.

    Yeah, but those teams that can’t be countered unless you have Nurse or Spirit are so rare that it isn’t that big of a deal.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096221#Comment_2096221

    Yeah, but those teams that can’t be countered unless you have Nurse or Spirit are so rare that it isn’t that big of a deal.

    The rarity of those teams is completely irrelevant to the question. The question is what killer is the most balanced. You determine balance based on equally good vs good team both utilizing their tools to the best of their capabilities. That is determining what is truly balanced objectively. This is why I said “unless you want to ask the question of balanced vs the average survivor”, as that’s an entirely different question and answer and where the likelihood of running into one of those skilled teams as you mention does in fact matter.

  • @SallySlugson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096222#Comment_2096222

    I've gone against amazing nurses. I would like to think that I'm an amazing nurse as well, given the fact that I've been playing her since she came out. Even god nurses have the counterplay of complete and total unpredictability. When I face a nurse, I don't think. I don't even know what I'm going to do next. And it works every time. See, the way that I play nurse is i do a few experimental blinks to learn a survivors playstyle. Once I do this, I won't miss a single blink on them. However, if you don't have a pattern during this experimental phase, it'll take much longer to go down. This even works on me, and I play almost exclusively nurse.

    I see what you mean, but I think it’s not necessarily a counter to Nurse it’s just more on the lines of the Nurse player making a mistake. There are little things the survivor can do to help, but it’s mainly up to the Nurse player and if they are accurate with their blinks, they will always get a hit. I do respect good Nurse players though because unlike Spirit, she does take a ton of time and effort to master.

  • @TheDuhJ said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096106#Comment_2096106

    I think you are probably right. Oni, Freddy, huntress without iri stuff and toolbelt. All balanced imo

    Freddy is hardly balanced, he gets free pressure and counters many perks passively, he's one of the most complained about killers for a reason.

  • @indieeden7 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096113#Comment_2096113

    Freddy is hardly balanced, he gets free pressure and counters many perks passively, he's one of the most complained about killers for a reason.

    He has one unfair add on, being able to pressure and m1 is fair. He cant insta down without perks, and if you rush gens he loses mobility

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096227#Comment_2096227

    The rarity of those teams is completely irrelevant to the question. The question is what killer is the most balanced. You determine balance based on equally good vs good team both utilizing their tools to the best of their capabilities. That is determining what is truly balanced objectively. This is why I said “unless you want to ask the question of balanced vs the average survivor”, as that’s an entirely different question and answer and where the likelihood of running into one of those skilled teams as you mention does in fact matter.

    When I mean balance, I mean killers that offer fun gameplay for both sides and offer equal chance to counter each other. Nurse and Spirit don’t do that because once they’re in a 1v1 scenario, the survivor can’t really do anything except for pray the killer messes up. That’s not fun and exciting gameplay. You can say that the majority of the killer roster can’t win against good teams all you want. I understand survivors have unfair things that they can use but it still shouldn’t justify Nurse and Spirit being fair killers either. I play both sides and I understand the frustrations for both sides.

  • @SallySlugson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096243#Comment_2096243

    Is is along those lines, but it's still a counter. This will make nurse take longer to down you no matter what. It's quite literally impossible to blink so that the survivor can't do anything, unless you're out in the open.

    Also, I respect spirits that don't use stridor. Spirit is pretty fun to go against imo, because you have to play it safer than normal, and juking her phase is just so rewarding. But nurse and billy will always be my favorites to go against.

    Yeah, I used to main Spirit and hardly ever used Stridor. I don’t main her anymore because I felt sympathy for the other side and she just isn’t fun anymore.

  • @SallySlugson said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096276#Comment_2096276

    Understandable. I don't like playing her either. She seems like a ghetto nurse to me. But going against her is pretty fun if you don't care about losing. Because I don't care if i live or die, as long as I get chased. I feel like that's a pretty healthy mindset to have, as I don't get tilted unless I'm forced to sit in gens the entire game.

    I can definitely respect that opinion.

  • @GannTM said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096231#Comment_2096231

    When I mean balance, I mean killers that offer fun gameplay for both sides and offer equal chance to counter each other. Nurse and Spirit don’t do that because once they’re in a 1v1 scenario, the survivor can’t really do anything except for pray the killer messes up. That’s not fun and exciting gameplay. You can say that the majority of the killer roster can’t win against good teams all you want. I understand survivors have unfair things that they can use but it still shouldn’t justify Nurse and Spirit being fair killers either. I play both sides and I understand the frustrations for both sides.

    I disagree with you about Spirits counter play but we don’t have to get into that here as it’s been done ad nauseum on these forums already. You say fun and equal counter play on both sides, but Oni and Blight since those are your examples do not have equal counter play to the survivors actions if it is equally good vs good survivors. You are referencing an “average” match. I already explained the difference between these two questions in my last post. If you want to ask most balanced match in average games then sure I’ll agree with you but they are not balanced objectively.

  • @Blueberry said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2096270#Comment_2096270

    I disagree with you about Spirits counter play but we don’t have to get into that here as it’s been done ad nauseum on these forums already. You say fun and equal counter play on both sides, but Oni and Blight since those are your examples do not have equal counter play to the survivors actions if it is equally good vs good survivors. You are referencing an “average” match. I already explained the difference between these two questions in my last post. If you want to ask most balanced match in average games then sure I’ll agree with you but they are not balanced objectively.

    I mean, the average player base is the majority. As I said before, the really good survivor teams aren’t that common so balancing around them would be a disaster for the average player base that just wants to play the game and enjoy it. Nurse and Spirit ruin that enjoyment which is what makes them unbalanced.

‹ 1 2