I get that people want an LGBT character, but...

Why?

Let me preface by saying I'm not LGBT-phobic or spreading hate speech or anything, I'm just stating my opinion.


If a character is made ONLY to be LGBT and that's their WHOLE personality, then it wouldn't be a good addition, neither would cheesily integrating it into a character's current lore.

WHY does it matter if there's an LGBT character? Why do we need one? What's the point? "oH hEY gUys, wE aDdeD An LGBT cHaRIcTer." I don't care who my character is, I just want the gameplay to be good.

There just isn't a reason.

Thank you for coming to my very short TED talk.

Edit: there is a follow up on the 5th page of comments. Please look there as well.

Comments

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    I love how @Orion put this: pandering is only an issue when it's to LGBT+ people. Pandering it horror fans by adding in liscened icons? Fine. Pandering to Silent Hill fans in particular with that entire chapter (which tbh was very good)? Fine. Pandering to the Poc community by giving them Zarina, Claudette, Elodie, etc? Fine.

    Panding to the LGBT+ community by giving them some representation? Bad, bad, bhvr bad, never again, world is ending.

    Also, "I'm not anti-lgbt" and then "Normal person/gay person" contradict each other. What's wrong with being gay, buddy?

    Pretty sure it was just bad wording on the OP's part.

    However, I believe OP is referring to a situation that could arise. An LGBT character instead of a character who is LGBT. One is a character who solely exists to appease part of the community, the other is a character that exists in the same manner that all the other characters do, they just happen to be LGBT.

    I'm not sure how likely the former option is, but I could see it happening.

  • @dezzmont said:

    Firstly, its important to note that while this seems like a reasonable argument, trying to say 'we shouldn't have bad representation' what it actually does is create an artificially inflated standard on LGBTQ+ characters.

    Specifically, a LGBTQ+ character should be able to fill every role a straight, cis character does, and implying that you need to meet certain qualifications to be a 'good' LGBTQ+ character itself is part of the problem: Your trying to force people to justify the existence of queer characters. So lets drop pretense.

    You wouldn't bat an eye if a male character mentioned that they had a wife in a story. But if that same male character said they had a husband, you would apply different expectations to the inclusion of that character in attempt to declare that they are 'pandering' or 'forced in' or whatever. Even if they are exclusively there to be a male straight character in a relationship. Like "The Hillbilly's Mom and Dad" are explicit characters in DBD, who SOLELY exist to be a heterosexual couple who abused their child, but no one is saying they are arbitrarily forcing romance into the game. Likewise, Nea isn't Sweedish just to force 'a token Sweed,' despite the fact that Nea being Sweedish has NO impact on the game and is something you would never learn through pure gameplay because it exists entirely in the backstory, its because it would be weird if The Entity was capturing killers from all over the world and across time from all walks of life but mysteriously was only nabbing white American survivors.

    In essence, your assuming straight and cis is 'default' or 'regular' or 'normal' (In fact, you pretty much said the quiet part out loud there) which is the entire problem: Because you view straight and cis as 'default' any deviation needs to be justified, that queer people are only allowed to exist 'for a reason' because otherwise you made someone 'not normal' for 'no reason.' When that reason can be as simple as 'queer people exist.'

    Gay characters can be as one dimensional as straight characters, they can be as dynamic as straight characters. Their relationship can be all their character is about, just like many straight characters in stories, or it could just be one facet of who they are. All of those should be good and shouldn't result in any increased burden on the creators to justify it. Sometimes people are just gay, or bi, or trans, or nonbinary. Stories can be about the unique issues we face, because in many aspects of our lives our identities can be extremely important to our experiences, or those can be incidental because in many aspects of our lives that identity is incidental. So it isn't even that 'the character doesn't have to JUST be about their sexuality as a flat character' but 'Gay people should be able to be any type of character. Not every character in a story is a dimensional character, in fact most characters in a well written story are flat and non-dynamic, why can't some be gay?' And why can't some dynamic leads be incidentally gay in stories not about being gay?

    As to why people specifically want an EXPLICITLY LGBTQ+ character?

    Because 'assuming anyone could be gay' isn't equal representation. It is, again, a pretend way to say 'we already have it' when we clearly don't, because characters are confirmed straight all the time. Again, you just internalized it as 'default' so much you can't see how stuff like 'The nurse had a husband' is confirming her to be straight (or at least presents straight, I mean she is from somewhere around WW1/WW2, one could argue she had to marry a man to survive, but its implied her marriage was happy), meaning that its acceptable to reveal the sexuality of characters...

    ...As long as they are straight.

    And yes, these reveals are advancing the story of these characters because your love life informs a lot about you, so they aren't JUST revealing that they are straight, but there is little reason you couldn't do the same for LGBTQ+ characters. It isn't that Nurse should be a Lesbian from the 1920s (It would be hard to make that not the case without seriously altering her background, and it would play into some truly horrific tropes to have the first gay character be a killer driven to madness by the tragedy of being gay), It isn't just that the new survivor had a boyfriend or whatever, maybe their boyfriend got kidnapped by the entity too. Or maybe they got lost on a mountain and they were part of a rescue party and got nabbed. Or any number of potential stories that include people who aren't straight.

    If its a worry the character will be one dimensional, they could always make an existing character gay just as part of one of the background bits. Would Meg suddenly become a 'token character' if it was revealed she was into girls, despite all this interesting stuff we know about her like how she is both absurdly driven but at the same time gave up what she was driven about to take care of someone she cared about? Obviously not. So why worry a new character who is gay would 'just' be gay? That is a silly thing to assume and is pretty clearly trying to reduce a reasonable request to a ridiculous one by pretending that what people asked for ("a character who is LGBTQ+") is actually something different and unreasonable ("I want a character who's entire identity is their gay identity").

    Also, to be clear, some people do live their life very openly queer and make it visible and a huge part of their identity. And most of those people are ######### awesome people because they chose to do that to make other people safer and to normalize being queer or not conforming to gender expectations that hurt real world people, as well as to create non-traditionally masculine/feminine role models for people who might not have them, or to visibly show them that queer people exist and they aren't alone and that being out is a thing you CAN be. The IRL queer equivalent of being willing to loop the killer to protect green rank baby queers trying to figure themselves out. So if your implying someone with dyed hair and a rainbow pin or whatever is 'making being gay their entire personality' you missed the point. Some LGBTQ+ people wanna be unassuming gen jockeys because it empowers their community, others wanna be loud and proud because it protects their community. Both are freaking rad and no human being has to earn your respect for who they are if who they are has absolutely no bearing on you.

    TL;DR: Because straight characters are confirmed all the time and are never questioned for being straight regardless of how 3 dimensional or dynamic a character they are. Any type of character should be possible to confirm for being gay. It isn't just 'oh we don't say explicitly so it could be anyone' because its said explicitly a LOT about straightness.

    Forget twice dezz over here deserves ######### 30

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803102#Comment_1803102

    Pretty sure it was just bad wording on the OP's part.

    However, I believe OP is referring to a situation that could arise. An LGBT character instead of a character who is LGBT. One is a character who solely exists to appease part of the community, the other is a character that exists in the same manner that all the other characters do, they just happen to be LGBT.

    I'm not sure how likely the former option is, but I could see it happening.

    Just according to the recent Q&A stream and how they included straight relationships etc there is no basis to assume there will be a char that only exist for LGBT+ representation though..

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803242#Comment_1803242

    Just according to the recent Q&A stream and how they included straight relationships etc there is no basis to assume there will be a char that only exist for LGBT+ representation though..

    I'm aware, which is why I said it COULD happen, not that it would.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803102#Comment_1803102

    Pretty sure it was just bad wording on the OP's part.

    However, I believe OP is referring to a situation that could arise. An LGBT character instead of a character who is LGBT. One is a character who solely exists to appease part of the community, the other is a character that exists in the same manner that all the other characters do, they just happen to be LGBT.

    I'm not sure how likely the former option is, but I could see it happening.

    And that's why the devs have held off of just shoving in that one of their existing characters is gay. So many gay people love David (from my experience anyway) and so just go "btw guys David is gay have fun", but they want to actually do it properly and do it justice, like they have with Zarina and Elodie and Claudette; the fact they're non-white isn't an integral part of their lore (I mean, it is for Zarina but it's not all she's about) and yet people adore Elodie because of how she looks; it's good representation. That's what they're wanting to do for an LGBT+ character (in their own words, anyway, we'll have to see how it pans out) and honestly go BHVR for that.

    If you don't care about LGBT representation you shouldn't have any issues with having them in the game. Let the people who do care be happy and you can be indifferent all you like; just another survivor to kill (or escape as). If you do, you're part of the problem.

    (This final statement was not directed at you, Pulsar but people in general, just in case you thought I was coming at you.)

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803242#Comment_1803242

    And that's why the devs have held off of just shoving in that one of their existing characters is gay. So many gay people love David (from my experience anyway) and so just go "btw guys David is gay have fun", but they want to actually do it properly and do it justice, like they have with Zarina and Elodie and Claudette; the fact they're non-white isn't an integral part of their lore (I mean, it is for Zarina but it's not all she's about) and yet people adore Elodie because of how she looks; it's good representation. That's what they're wanting to do for an LGBT+ character (in their own words, anyway, we'll have to see how it pans out) and honestly go BHVR for that.

    If you don't care about LGBT representation you shouldn't have any issues with having them in the game. Let the people who do care be happy and you can be indifferent all you like; just another survivor to kill (or escape as). If you do, you're part of the problem.

    (This final statement was not directed at you, Pulsar but people in general, just in case you thought I was coming at you.)

    I absolutely get what you are saying.

    I just want GOOD representation, and I am cautious about being optimistic.




    side note: nothing against Elodie's voice actor, but I really hate how she sounds. She is so loud, hurts my ears :(

  • I Love Aloy because she's a strong lead, she is nothing like me, I am nothing like her, she's a great character. No sexuality. (Horizon)

    I Love Sir Galahad because I find him extremely attractive, but we are nothing alike. (The Order:1886)

    I Love Meg because we both had/have single mothers and are athletes.

    I Love Lara Croft because she's a strong lead, we are nothing alike.

    I hate being pandered to. I'm gay and I absolutely hate when developers jingle the "gay card" in front of my face and expect me to spend $$$.

    I also hate June because it's nothing but "Look how we Love our gay community, Spend your $$$ here" then forget us come July.

    If it happens, it happens. Who cares, stop asking for it, stop begging for it. Some times I just like being invisible to the World, stop looking at me and seeing only my sexuality. We are more than that.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    Why not?

    If it makes people connect more to a character then why be opposed to that?

    I'm not opposed to it at all and I don't think the OP is either, but nea and legion are already LGBT in my eyes and I feel like people don't even want it for the game itself but just so they can feel better about the lore speaking of it but I just don't see why it should just like why should they have anything that mentions being straight in the lore? I've read most of the lore but I'm not so into it that I would go buy a book on this ######### that's for sure lol and I think that's where this is coming from is people like me who don't care either way but don't understand why it's brought up like a real life issue in a video game, that's the best way I know to put it

  • @madradfox said:

    And here, I always thought Nea was meant to be a lesbian and thus an LGBT character and now I am really confused....

    Bubba got a slick LGBT treatment recently, or is that offensive now, I can't even tell anymore....

    Crossdressing is not LGBT...

  • It could be considered to belong to the ‚Q+‘ part of the LGBTQ+ community though.

    but I don’t know exactly, there are also the I and A s that belong to the community and much more, i am not really up to date on that topic.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803312#Comment_1803312

    It could be considered to belong to the ‚Q+‘ part of the LGBTQ+ community though.

    but I don’t know exactly, there are also the I and A s that belong to the community and much more, or really up to date on that topic.

    Last I heard (though, to be fair, it was a while ago), most crossdressers are heterosexual men.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803316#Comment_1803316

    Last I heard (though, to be fair, it was a while ago), most crossdressers are heterosexual men.

    Yeah pretty sure this is still the case,the reason should be obvious

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803316#Comment_1803316

    Last I heard (though, to be fair, it was a while ago), most crossdressers are heterosexual men.

    Yeah sure, but Queer or + in the wider sense doesn’t exclude heterosexuality as far as I know.

    and i thought being straight but still crossdressing or otherwise not being heteronormative would count towards these parts.

  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803317#Comment_1803317

    Yeah pretty sure this is still the case,the reason should be obvious

    Not for me it's not. I've never worn women's clothing, but the "fancier" stuff seems very uncomfortable to wear. I don't understand why anyone - man or woman - would wear uncomfortable clothing.

    @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803317#Comment_1803317

    Yeah sure, but Queer or + in the wider sense doesn’t exclude heterosexuality as far as I know.

    and i thought being straight but still crossdressing or otherwise not being heteronormative would count towards these parts.

    I dunno, it hardly matters in the end. They like it and they're not hurting anyone, that's really the end of the issue.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803330#Comment_1803330

    Not for me it's not. I've never worn women's clothing, but the "fancier" stuff seems very uncomfortable to wear. I don't understand why anyone - man or woman - would wear uncomfortable clothing.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803332#Comment_1803332

    I dunno, it hardly matters in the end. They like it and they're not hurting anyone, that's really the end of the issue.

    The reason is as wide from simply ,,they like it'' to being a fetish.

  • @EvilJoshy said:

    If they were to add a LGBTQ character to dbd. I can guarantee you there will be people who get upset when that character gets killed. If they didn't want bad things to happen to this person maybe they shouldn't have wanted them added to a horror game?

    this i can already see survivors saying "youre just killing me because i am gay i report you know reeee"

  • @Satelit said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803338#Comment_1803338

    The reason is as wide from simply ,,they like it'' to being a fetish.

    Fair enough, though I still don't understand what's appealing about women's clothes.

    Side note, it's weird to think that dresses were originally designed for men, but now it's taboo for men to wear them. Like make-up.

  • @Mew said:

    representation is important, why is it such a problem that there would be a confirmed LGBT character in the roster? there’s already confirmed straight characters (like david, felix, nurse)

    even if you dont agree with it, or think it “doesnt belong in dbd”, it matters to a lot of people- so why not just be happy for them?

    they weren't forced in to the game

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1802995#Comment_1802995

    this i can already see survivors saying "youre just killing me because i am gay i report you know reeee"

    Then they get punished for filing false reports, the same way racists get banned when they spew their BS in the chat after killing black characters. Note that the devs didn't avoid adding black characters just because of racists throwing a fit.

  • And you know this how? Please, show your work.

  • They kind of were forced into the game though. The devs said they don’t want any kind of sexual identification included into the game but did so anyway. That is actually one of the reasons why they will not exclude LGBT+ anymore, because they included straight relationships when they said they won’t.

  • Drag is a part of LGBT culture as a method of performative non-conformity with gender expression, and playing with presentation, but I don't think that skin is like... Bubba's Drag Persona.

    I mean unless we pull a Babadook. Us LGBTQ+ folks are cultural coup masters. Surviving so long with everyone refusing to give us representation has made us masters of making things into mainstream gay icons in order to create a place for ourselves in mainstream culture.

    Fear our power! We turned leather gay and we could do the same to the killer you main!

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803352#Comment_1803352

    They kind of were forced into the game though. The devs said they don’t want any kind of sexual identification included into the game but did so anyway. That is actually one of the reasons why they will not exclude LGBT+ anymore, because they included straight relationships when they said they won’t.

    like dlc you cant change thier lore like freddy had a wife they can hardly make a other story for him

  • @dezzmont said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803312#Comment_1803312

    Drag is a part of LGBT culture as a method of performative non-conformity with gender expression, and playing with presentation, but I don't think that skin is like... Bubba's Drag Persona.

    I mean unless we pull a Babadook. Us LGBTQ+ folks are cultural coup masters. Surviving so long with everyone refusing to give us representation has made us masters of making things into mainstream gay icons in order to create a place for ourselves in mainstream culture.

    Fear our power! We turned leather gay and we could do the same to the killer you main!

    Alright, you made me laugh. Take the upvote.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803356#Comment_1803356

    like dlc you cant change thier lore like freddy had a wife they can hardly make a other story for him

    There are original characters in DbD, you know.

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803097#Comment_1803097

    I'm not opposed to it at all and I don't think the OP is either, but nea and legion are already LGBT in my eyes and I feel like people don't even want it for the game itself but just so they can feel better about the lore speaking of it but I just don't see why it should just like why should they have anything that mentions being straight in the lore? I've read most of the lore but I'm not so into it that I would go buy a book on this ######### that's for sure lol and I think that's where this is coming from is people like me who don't care either way but don't understand why it's brought up like a real life issue in a video game, that's the best way I know to put it

    The thing is i don't care about LGBT being added into the game. Wether it's added or not doesn't matter to me.

    But by definition by not caring it means that i wouldn't be opposed to it and if it makes some people happy, more power to them.

    I just don't understand how you can be opposed to something you don't care about.

  • @BadMrFrosty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/211832/i-get-that-people-want-an-lgbt-character-but

    I think I grew up in the last generation where there was still a small pocket of people that could develop and apply common sense (90's). Not to say that everyone belonging to younger gens are the opposite, but it's far more common since social media/educational institutions have turned into propaganda machines that spew heavily left leaning rhetoric and ideas with no one to balance or check them with sensible alternatives.

    Saying that you are part of the LAST generation that could develop common sense kind of contradicts your second statement.

    Social media is used by people of all ages and all political believes.

    The education thing is dependant on country, region and institution. People also have different opinion on what is a radical political believe and what not.

  • i know i was just saying for dlc characters you cant chnage them i have people seen angry because of freddy like bhvr cant change him just for a few people

  • You have chosen wisely. Nurse shall be spared. Not because nurse being gay would be bad, but simply because it is not in our whims today.

    For real though I am a social scientist and queer myself and this is a huge part of my work (I actually specifically am trying to specialize in queerness in gaming related spaces!) and its both... kinda enheartening how our culture has adapted to this juggernaut of memetic warfare, but sad how that came about due to necessity in order to squeeze representation from a stone.

    Like if there was a push to do so I am 100% certain that queer people could make anything they want a LGBTQ+ icon and no body could stop them. Babadook kinda proved it.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803356#Comment_1803356

    like dlc you cant change thier lore like freddy had a wife they can hardly make a other story for him

    No one is asking to change their lore. literally no one. But because it was added, people were asking for LGBT+ to be treated the same. And BHVR acknowledged that and they want to add LGBT+, they are not forced to do so, they even said it is important for them.

  • Oh boy here we go, everyone hold on to your popcorn and all the other snacks because there might be those type of people who snap at everyone hoping to cancel them right away. They're always looking for trigger worthy phrases along these comments, I don't even think this forum thread is even safe from them. Including a LGBT character sounds like a neat idea, however if someone gets targetted in game with said character, we already know there's people gonna take offense to that.

    Like "omg this guy is targeting me and that's because I'm gay!!" Get a grip mate, that's just how the game is played, there's no reason for that survivor to be potentially overpowered just because they're a certain sexual preference. We're just gonna have to sit and wait on how their perks will play out, along with the killer that will come with their DLC if anything. But either way if no killer comes with said survivor then it's whatever. Gonna have to make a judgement called based on the technicalities of their perks, you can make almost any survivor to be the same if you level them up to 40+, so it wouldn't matter to those who have saved their bloodpoints. This thread is getting some traction, so hopefully a forum mod takes notice.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803364#Comment_1803364

    i know i was just saying for dlc characters you cant chnage them i have people seen angry because of freddy like bhvr cant change him just for a few people

    You mean licensed characters, not DLC characters. Nearly every character is a DLC character.

  • @Awakey said:

    Why?

    Let me preface by saying I'm not LGBT-phobic or spreading hate speech or anything, I'm just stating my opinion.

    If a character is made ONLY to be LGBT and that's their WHOLE personality, then it wouldn't be a good addition, neither would cheesily integrating it into a character's current lore.

    WHY does it matter if there's an LGBT character? Why do we need one? What's the point? "oH hEY gUys, wE aDdeD An LGBT cHaRIcTer." I don't care whether my character is a regular ass person or a goddamn gay tomato, I just want the gameplay to be good.

    There just isn't a reason.

    Thank you for coming to my very short TED talk.

    Because despite a monumental amount of progress on attitudes towards diversity and tolerance, there are still an uncountable amount of places where it is still a lonely, terrifying place to be LGBTIQ.

    I guarantee you that right now there will be players in this community where within their own PHYSICAL community they’re isolated, and still too terrified to let anyone else who they really are on the inside. It’s a very lonely existence when you feel you need to hide every single day of your life. It’s also extremely exhausting. For these people, media is their only solace in finding connection, representation, and role models.

    Everybody needs to have SOMETHING, somewhere, no matter who or what you are whereby they/we can find solidarity and common ground, otherwise we simply go crazy, or thoughts go even darker (I don’t think it’s necessary to explicitly state what I mean as I think the implication is obvious).

    It’s easy to say something like this is unnecessary in DBD, and I understand why some people feel that way. It probably means life outside of gaming is good for you, and that’s great.

    But whereas an LGBTIQ character in DBD might mean nothing to many, for some players, particularly younger ones, their favourite game might provide them enough of a sliver of hope to just keep holding on.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803361#Comment_1803361

    No one is asking to change their lore. literally no one. But because it was added, people were asking for LGBT+ to be treated the same. And BHVR acknowledged that and they want to add LGBT+, they are not forced to do so, they even said it is important for them.

    ofc its important if it makes them more money and the sjws happy

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803304#Comment_1803304

    The thing is i don't care about LGBT being added into the game. Wether it's added or not doesn't matter to me.

    But by definition by not caring it means that i wouldn't be opposed to it and if it makes some people happy, more power to them.

    I just don't understand how you can be opposed to something you don't care about.

    I'm not opposed I just simply don't understand why it matters I guess? If they added it tomorrow I wouldn't care lol

  • @Lefrongo said:

    Oh boy here we go, everyone hold on to your popcorn and all the other snacks because there might be those type of people who snap at everyone hoping to cancel them right away. They're always looking for trigger worthy phrases along these comments, I don't even think this forum thread is even safe from them. Including a LGBT character sounds like a neat idea, however if someone gets targetted in game with said character, we already know there's people gonna take offense to that.

    Like "omg this guy is targeting me and that's because I'm gay!!" Get a grip mate, that's just how the game is played, there's no reason for that survivor to be potentially overpowered just because they're a certain sexual preference. We're just gonna have to sit and wait on how their perks will play out, along with the killer that will come with their DLC if anything. But either way if no killer comes with said survivor then it's whatever. Gonna have to make a judgement called based on the technicalities of their perks, you can make almost any survivor to be the same if you level them up to 40+, so it wouldn't matter to those who have saved their bloodpoints. This thread is getting some traction, so hopefully a forum mod takes notice.

    There are already people who take offense to being targeted for playing a black character, just like there are people who target others who play black characters. Are these good reasons to avoid adding black characters? Should we kowtow to people like that?

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803372#Comment_1803372

    ofc its important if it makes them more money and the sjws happy

    Today I learned someone asking that LGBT people be treated like non-LGBT people is an SJW.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803377#Comment_1803377

    Today I learned someone asking that LGBT people be treated like non-LGBT people is an SJW.

    you dont get my point lets look at cyber punk they had a poster with a trans man/woman on it they people went ape ######### over it because you could see the big pp saying it isnt good for the trans community or some ######### but if they wouldnt have it they would cry for not having it in the game sjws will cry about legit every thing and do anything to get what they want

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803372#Comment_1803372

    ofc its important if it makes them more money and the sjws happy

    Damn, the ultimate ‚devs only want moneyz‘ argument.

    can’t argue against that.

    (because it’s not an argument)



    but just for the fun: they will actually loose money. There are MANY people that are homophobic and will stop supporting the game or at least the DLC when an LGBT+ character gets added. It would be safer to just pander to the homophobic consumers.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803382#Comment_1803382

    you dont get my point lets look at cyber punk they had a poster with a trans man/woman on it they people went ape ######### over it because you could see the big pp saying it isnt good for the trans community or some ######### but if they wouldnt have it they would cry for not having it in the game sjws will cry about legit every thing and do anything to get what they want

    The only "crying" I heard was from people who said that CDPR had "gone full SJW" for daring to show a woman in the first trailer.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803377#Comment_1803377

    Damn, the ultimate ‚devs only want moneyz‘ argument.

    can’t argue against that.

    (because it’s not an argument)

    but just for the fun: they will actually loose money. There are MANY people that are homophobic and will stop supporting the game or at least the DLC when an LGBT+ character gets added. It would be safer to just pander to the homophobic consumers.

    lol bold statement saying alot of people are homophobic just because people dont agree with others doesnt make them homophobic people dont buy the twins because it sucks and a waste of money i wont buy it if lets say next chapter a gay killer comes out and its good i buy it

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803382#Comment_1803382

    you dont get my point lets look at cyber punk they had a poster with a trans man/woman on it they people went ape ######### over it because you could see the big pp saying it isnt good for the trans community or some ######### but if they wouldnt have it they would cry for not having it in the game sjws will cry about legit every thing and do anything to get what they want

    There’s always going to be people offended over anything, everything, and nothing.

    That shouldn’t mean we stop endeavouring to provide hope to those that might lack some in their lives.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803386#Comment_1803386

    The only "crying" I heard was from people who said that CDPR had "gone full SJW" for daring to show a woman in the first trailer.

    people went nuts over the " did you assume my gender" joke while they didnt even know the context it was in

  • @Mew said:

    representation is important, why is it such a problem that there would be a confirmed LGBT character in the roster? there’s already confirmed straight characters (like david, felix, nurse)

    even if you dont agree with it, or think it “doesnt belong in dbd”, it matters to a lot of people- so why not just be happy for them?

    As a gay person, I disagree. Representation is absolutely not important in videogames. If you require representation to play a videogame comfortably then you have a problem. I hate to break it to you, but videogames are fantasy. You're not these characters. They're not you. And who they ######### should be just as irrelevant to you as who your co-workers #########. BHVR should ignore the, "muh representation" group festering on here and just do whatever the hell they want.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803389#Comment_1803389

    people went nuts over the " did you assume my gender" joke while they didnt even know the context it was in

    They didn't like a joke that was making fun of them and you think that's somehow bad?

  • @Orionbash said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803048#Comment_1803048

    As a gay person, I disagree. Representation is absolutely not important in videogames. If you require representation to play a videogame comfortably then you have a problem. I hate to break it to you, but videogames are fantasy. You're not these characters. They're not you. And who they ######### should be just as irrelevant to you as who your co-workers #########. BHVR should ignore the, "muh representation" group festering on here and just do whatever the hell they want.

    They are doing whatever the hell they want. Specifically, they're adding an LGBT character.

    You do understand that people can want to add LGBT characters to their work, right?

  • Gotta get those pander points

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803387#Comment_1803387

    lol bold statement saying alot of people are homophobic just because people dont agree with others doesnt make them homophobic people dont buy the twins because it sucks and a waste of money i wont buy it if lets say next chapter a gay killer comes out and its good i buy it

    Not a bold statement, there are definitely many people that are openly homophobic. I have seen way too many tweets when BHVR announced they were not excluding LGBT+ anymore that said they will leave the game because of that. (Most of those hate comments were deleted shortly after though)


    they won’t gain THAT much money for adding LGBT. I am pretty sure that in the end, the chapter won’t see any significant higher or lower purchase rate. The money argument doesn’t hold here for any side.

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803366#Comment_1803366

    I'm not opposed I just simply don't understand why it matters I guess? If they added it tomorrow I wouldn't care lol

    Ok, so try to exercise some empathy. Imagine what its like to be the kind of person who is often demonized or villified, who has to make all sorts of choices about their own safety and relationships with other people every time they meet someone new about if they should share something about themselves. Imagine your someone who knows that people like you sometimes become homeless because their family members don't accept them. And imagine that society is so obsessed with a specific variation on relationships that entire genres are built on it, and its used as incidental or core aspects of character dynamics, but that relationships that are relevant to you are rarely if ever seen and when they are generally don't involve any main characters.

    I fully believe you wouldn't care if a LGBTQ+ character was added today, because you don't have to think about the experience of being LGBTQ+, but at least try, for a moment, to imagine how hostile the world can feel, in part because the stories we constantly tell rarely include anyone like you being an important character, a good character, or a character you might like.

    This is the concept of privilege. Reactionaries have twisted that word to make it into something people joke about, 'check your privilege.' Like its total nonsense: you don't get a cookie and a pat on the ass for being straight! But actually, in social sciences, privilege is a super real thing, as real to our discipline as say... gravity is to physics, and its an intersection of sociology and psychology. It doesn't mean you have any formal benefits or institutionalized, universal advantage. What it means is you don't have to interact with an aspect of reality someone else does at ALL. It can be invisible to you. Which is part of why it was easy to twist into something silly: the word is literally defining something that the dominant cultural group of a society doesn't ever have to think about and might never notice, so pretending its some delusional screeching is easy, when in reality its... quite obvious that straight people have certain privileges society grants them that they wouldn't even notice?

    Like have you ever had to decide if it was safe to come out as straight to someone? If admitting to someone you were straight may cost you a job, or a vital bit of your support structure? No? Obviously not, the idea of having to do that is absurd, but the endless process of coming out (because it doesn't happen just once, its a very long term thing and kinda never ends because you need to decide if your going to be out in ANY social interaction where your relationship status or preferred type of partner may come up, which is a shocking amount) both has a mental cost, as well as social and material ones.

    Likewise there are actually measurable mental health impacts of representation. Like a measurable reduction in suicide rates, and that, again, seems absurd to someone who has never had to think about this, but its... again... really obvious the current media landscape is super hostile towards lots of different types of people in a way that resembles constant low level abuse. For example, ignoring the very obvious instances of actively negative representation where queer people are actively to be reviled or hated, queer characters are far more likely to experience violence in media than straight cis characters, which kinda matters a lot, because a huge point of mass media is to create and normalize culture. Like you can actually track rates of things like bullying and harassment in schools going down with queer characters in popular children's cartoons and videogames among given age groups.

    Which is why people are willing to get loud about positive representation when it seems silly to you: because to those people it actually means quite a lot of very real things besides just "I want it."

    And also, you know, it doesn't really cost you anything for people to get this W. So you tossing yourself into this conversation implying its dumb to even care also is... part of the problem, even if you weren't trying to be. It implies that it is silly to want to be treated differently than you are currently being treated, when I think any reasonable person would agree LGBTQ+ have every reason to demand to be treated differently than they currently are.

  • @DontNerf said:

    Gotta get those pander points

    Like the Silent Hill chapter, which was made to pander to Silent Hill fans.

1 2 3 4 5