I get that people want an LGBT character, but...

Why?

Let me preface by saying I'm not LGBT-phobic or spreading hate speech or anything, I'm just stating my opinion.


If a character is made ONLY to be LGBT and that's their WHOLE personality, then it wouldn't be a good addition, neither would cheesily integrating it into a character's current lore.

WHY does it matter if there's an LGBT character? Why do we need one? What's the point? "oH hEY gUys, wE aDdeD An LGBT cHaRIcTer." I don't care who my character is, I just want the gameplay to be good.

There just isn't a reason.

Thank you for coming to my very short TED talk.

Edit: there is a follow up on the 5th page of comments. Please look there as well.

Comments

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803394#Comment_1803394

    They are doing whatever the hell they want. Specifically, they're adding an LGBT character.

    You do understand that people can want to add LGBT characters to their work, right?

    ye ofc if bhvr does it they have all rights to do so but if they force it dont expectt me to be happy and the dlc

  • @DontNerf said:

    Gotta get those pander points

    And gotta loose those homophobic pander points.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803399#Comment_1803399

    Like the Silent Hill chapter, which was made to pander to Silent Hill fans.

    Its a bit different

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803398#Comment_1803398

    ye ofc if bhvr does it they have all rights to do so but if they force it dont expectt me to be happy and the dlc

    And how will you be able to tell the difference? You still haven't answered that.

  • It's the exact same thing. The devs added the Silent Hill chapter to pander to Silent Hill fans and get them to buy the game (which they did, the player count shows it). So why is it OK to pander to you?

  • When has the game ever been homophones?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803404#Comment_1803404

    And how will you be able to tell the difference? You still haven't answered that.

    because you can tell if something is rushed just like this mess of a dlc

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803407#Comment_1803407

    It's the exact same thing. The devs added the Silent Hill chapter to pander to Silent Hill fans and get them to buy the game (which they did, the player count shows it). So why is it OK to pander to you?

    Who said I'm a silent hill fan? I've not even played the games, I just like Pyramid head as a killer.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803408#Comment_1803408

    because you can tell if something is rushed just like this mess of a dlc

    Every DLC has been accused of having been rushed. By your logic, every DLC has been forced, and thus you should have been against the inclusion of Freddy.

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803410#Comment_1803410

    Who said I'm a silent hill fan? I've not even played the games, I just like Pyramid head as a killer.

    My apologies. Replace "you" with "Silent Hill fans" and then answer the question.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803412#Comment_1803412

    Every DLC has been accused of having been rushed. By your logic, every DLC has been forced, and thus you should have been against the inclusion of Freddy.

    meant this sorry

  • When they added heterosexual relationships in lore despite saying they won’t add any sexual elements and will let every character be not-defined at all.

    but guess what: nobody cried about that. Not even your SJWs. And especially not the people that are now against LGBT inclusion because sexuality doesn’t have a place in this game.

    i am not saying BHVR pandered to homophobics deliberately btw.

  • I personally dislike it. Not adding an LGBT character, but the fact that they didn't just do it. They had to make it an "announcement" and release clarifying tweets later on. It feels coddling and trying to make a token character. You want to add a character that sleeps with someone of the same sex? Great. You want to do that to show that it's normal and be inclusive? Great. So why single that out and act like it's a big deal that you're doing it. It shouldn't be a big deal and that's the point.

    They also released a comment somewhere about how they "don't want to add a character who's sexuality is their entire personality," which is good, and I agree with, but at the same time I feel like because they created so much buildup for it they'll receive backlash if they add a character that just slips the word "boyfriend" into their lore.

  • I know what you meant. I'm saying that every DLC has been said to have been "rushed". People said they "could tell" that the DLCs had been rushed. Therefore, every DLC was forced, yet nobody complained about having heterosexual characters forced into the game.

  • @anarchy753 said:

    I personally dislike it. Not adding an LGBT character, but the fact that they didn't just do it. They had to make it an "announcement" and release clarifying tweets later on. It feels coddling and trying to make a token character. You want to add a character that sleeps with someone of the same sex? Great. You want to do that to show that it's normal and be inclusive? Great. So why single that out and act like it's a big deal that you're doing it. It shouldn't be a big deal and that's the point.

    They also released a comment somewhere about how they "don't want to add a character who's sexuality is their entire personality," which is good, and I agree with, but at the same time I feel like because they created so much buildup for it they'll receive backlash if they add a character that just slips the word "boyfriend" into their lore.

    They also released a comment somewhere about how they "don't want to add a character who's sexuality is their entire personality," which is good, and I agree with, but at the same time I feel like because they created so much buildup for it they'll receive backlash if they add a character that just slips the word "boyfriend" into their lore.

    That's actually what most people want, because that's the right way to go about it.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803419#Comment_1803419

    They also released a comment somewhere about how they "don't want to add a character who's sexuality is their entire personality," which is good, and I agree with, but at the same time I feel like because they created so much buildup for it they'll receive backlash if they add a character that just slips the word "boyfriend" into their lore.

    That's actually what most people want, because that's the right way to go about it.

    same if they would do that its good but forcing something is not

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803414#Comment_1803414

    My apologies. Replace "you" with "Silent Hill fans" and then answer the question.

    No worries, its okie because its not using LGBT people to pander its wrong using someone's sexual prefrence to sell. Its miss presentation. Now if the character being LGBT is handled well then I'm all for it but if the characters only personality trait is being gay or being trans then it just feels forced.

  • @dezzmont said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803379#Comment_1803379

    Ok, so try to exercise some empathy. Imagine what its like to be the kind of person who is often demonized or villified, who has to make all sorts of choices about their own safety and relationships with other people every time they meet someone new about if they should share something about themselves. Imagine your someone who knows that people like you sometimes become homeless because their family members don't accept them. And imagine that society is so obsessed with a specific variation on relationships that entire genres are built on it, and its used as incidental or core aspects of character dynamics, but that relationships that are relevant to you are rarely if ever seen and when they are generally don't involve any main characters.

    I fully believe you wouldn't care if a LGBTQ+ character was added today, because you don't have to think about the experience of being LGBTQ+, but at least try, for a moment, to imagine how hostile the world can feel, in part because the stories we constantly tell rarely include anyone like you being an important character, a good character, or a character you might like.

    This is the concept of privilege. Reactionaries have twisted that word to make it into something people joke about, 'check your privilege.' Like its total nonsense: you don't get a cookie and a pat on the ass for being straight! But actually, in social sciences, privilege is a super real thing, as real to our discipline as say... gravity is to physics, and its an intersection of sociology and psychology. It doesn't mean you have any formal benefits or institutionalized, universal advantage. What it means is you don't have to interact with an aspect of reality someone else does at ALL. It can be invisible to you. Which is part of why it was easy to twist into something silly: the word is literally defining something that the dominant cultural group of a society doesn't ever have to think about and might never notice, so pretending its some delusional screeching is easy, when in reality its... quite obvious that straight people have certain privileges society grants them that they wouldn't even notice?

    Like have you ever had to decide if it was safe to come out as straight to someone? If admitting to someone you were straight may cost you a job, or a vital bit of your support structure? No? Obviously not, the idea of having to do that is absurd, but the endless process of coming out (because it doesn't happen just once, its a very long term thing and kinda never ends because you need to decide if your going to be out in ANY social interaction where your relationship status or preferred type of partner may come up, which is a shocking amount) both has a mental cost, as well as social and material ones.

    Likewise there are actually measurable mental health impacts of representation. Like a measurable reduction in suicide rates, and that, again, seems absurd to someone who has never had to think about this, but its... again... really obvious the current media landscape is super hostile towards lots of different types of people in a way that resembles constant low level abuse. For example, ignoring the very obvious instances of actively negative representation where queer people are actively to be reviled or hated, queer characters are far more likely to experience violence in media than straight cis characters, which kinda matters a lot, because a huge point of mass media is to create and normalize culture. Like you can actually track rates of things like bullying and harassment in schools going down with queer characters in popular children's cartoons and videogames among given age groups.

    Which is why people are willing to get loud about positive representation when it seems silly to you: because to those people it actually means quite a lot of very real things besides just "I want it."

    And also, you know, it doesn't really cost you anything for people to get this W. So you tossing yourself into this conversation implying its dumb to even care also is... part of the problem, even if you weren't trying to be. It implies that it is silly to want to be treated differently than you are currently being treated, when I think any reasonable person would agree LGBTQ+ have every reason to demand to be treated differently than they currently are.

    I understand what you're saying and like I've already said I'm not opposed, I just think it's dumb to add anything straight or LGBT in a horror game that literally has nothing to do with any sort of sexual relationship straight or not , I don't understand why people feel the need to sexualize a video game and try to make it like real life

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803382#Comment_1803382

    you dont get my point lets look at cyber punk they had a poster with a trans man/woman on it they people went ape ######### over it because you could see the big pp saying it isnt good for the trans community or some ######### but if they wouldnt have it they would cry for not having it in the game sjws will cry about legit every thing and do anything to get what they want

    Its actually a lot more complicated than that, because fetishization of trans bodies is a huge issue and generally is rooted in people disrespecting their identity and over-focusing on the parts of their bodies that make them feel the worst about themselves.

    Also, in a super screwed up way, fetishization of trans people in the style of Cyberpunk's depiction is heavily linked to populations that are EXTREMELY hostile to trans people.

    For example, trans porn is absurdly popular with heterosexual conservatives. Also gay porn weirdly. But these depictions are awful, usually somewhat violent and focused on this fantasy of perversion or transgression in a manner that measurably makes trans women and men less safe, and just... generally does a good job of confusing what the trans issue even is. Like its really not great that the states where trans people are being banned from bathrooms are also the states where 'shemale' porn is literally the most popular category of porn on pornhub. So you have these people both intensely fetishizing trans people, while also denying them basic rights and attacking them, and that fetishization is also done in a manner that denies them the ability to even be like... human in the works they are depicted in.

    Basically the concern is that the power is playing into the really ######### up history of 'Tranny porn' and its very real effect on violence and political action against trans people.

    It doesn't help that 2077 had some... other stuff going on. On its own the poster would probably just have been a misstep because, you know, not everyone can be educated on everything and sometimes its downright just a ######### catch 22 scenario because everything is problematic and its way more about implementation and intent than actually what is literally displayed.

  • @Mooks said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803411#Comment_1803411

    When they added heterosexual relationships in lore despite saying they won’t add any sexual elements and will let every character be not-defined at all.

    but guess what: nobody cried about that. Not even your SJWs. And especially not the people that are now against LGBT inclusion because sexuality doesn’t have a place in this game.

    i am not saying BHVR pandered to homophobics deliberately btw.

    I doubt many people are against it I think the main issue is that its adding them only because they are LGBT which feels forced and for a game like dbd really out of place, I'm all for it but it has to have a point and not just be "because they gay"

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803418#Comment_1803418

    I doubt many people are against it I think the main issue is that its adding them only because they are LGBT which feels forced and for a game like dbd really out of place, I'm all for it but it has to have a point and not just be "because they gay"

    Why? Heterosexual characters didn't get this much scrutiny and didn't need a reason to be added, so why are you treating LGBT characters differently?

  • @dezzmont said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803386#Comment_1803386

    Its actually a lot more complicated than that, because fetishization of trans bodies is a huge issue and generally is rooted in people disrespecting their identity and over-focusing on the parts of their bodies that make them feel the worst about themselves.

    Also, in a super screwed up way, fetishization of trans people in the style of Cyberpunk's depiction is heavily linked to populations that are EXTREMELY hostile to trans people.

    For example, trans porn is absurdly popular with heterosexual conservatives. Also gay porn weirdly. But these depictions are awful, usually somewhat violent and focused on this fantasy of perversion or transgression in a manner that measurably makes trans women and men less safe, and just... generally does a good job of confusing what the trans issue even is. Like its really not great that the states where trans people are being banned from bathrooms are also the states where 'shemale' porn is literally the most popular category of porn on pornhub. So you have these people both intensely fetishizing trans people, while also denying them basic rights and attacking them, and that fetishization is also done in a manner that denies them the ability to even be like... human in the works they are depicted in.

    Basically the concern is that the power is playing into the really ######### up history of 'Tranny porn' and its very real effect on violence and political action against trans people.

    It doesn't help that 2077 had some... other stuff going on. On its own the poster would probably just have been a misstep because, you know, not everyone can be educated on everything and sometimes its downright just a ######### catch 22 scenario because everything is problematic and its way more about implementation and intent than actually what is literally displayed.

    so just ignore them and never put them in a game got it

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803421#Comment_1803421

    same if they would do that its good but forcing something is not

    And yet, you have no way of knowing the difference. I doubt you even pay much attention to the lore.

    @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803416#Comment_1803416

    No worries, its okie because its not using LGBT people to pander its wrong using someone's sexual prefrence to sell. Its miss presentation. Now if the character being LGBT is handled well then I'm all for it but if the characters only personality trait is being gay or being trans then it just feels forced.

    Dude, every single one of a character's traits are meant to sell the character. Felix being German is a selling point. His being blond is a selling point. His being attractive is a selling point. His cosmetics are a selling point. It's the same for every character, but only hypothetical LGBT characters get this much flak.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803426#Comment_1803426

    And yet, you have no way of knowing the difference. I doubt you even pay much attention to the lore.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803427#Comment_1803427

    Dude, every single one of a character's traits are meant to sell the character. Felix being German is a selling point. His being blond is a selling point. His being attractive is a selling point. His cosmetics are a selling point. It's the same for every character, but only hypothetical LGBT characters get this much flak.

    lol i dont play freddy because he was white but because i like is story

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803431#Comment_1803431

    Why? Heterosexual characters didn't get this much scrutiny and didn't need a reason to be added, so why are you treating LGBT characters differently?

    Because I dont want to add LGBT characters for no reason other than them being LBGT its dumb, personally I hate the idea of exploring what characters like what straight or not I don't play DBD to want to know who Dwight wants to fook.

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803440#Comment_1803440

    lol i dont play freddy because he was white but because i like is story

    We're talking about original characters, not licensed ones.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803426#Comment_1803426

    And yet, you have no way of knowing the difference. I doubt you even pay much attention to the lore.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803427#Comment_1803427

    Dude, every single one of a character's traits are meant to sell the character. Felix being German is a selling point. His being blond is a selling point. His being attractive is a selling point. His cosmetics are a selling point. It's the same for every character, but only hypothetical LGBT characters get this much flak.

    The main selling point for me is perks

  • This content has been removed.
  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803402#Comment_1803402

    I understand what you're saying and like I've already said I'm not opposed, I just think it's dumb to add anything straight or LGBT in a horror game that literally has nothing to do with any sort of sexual relationship straight or not , I don't understand why people feel the need to sexualize a video game and try to make it like real life

    Your imagining being LGBTQ+ as purely a sexual experience. Like mentioning someone is LGBTQ+ is bringing their sex life into the game.

    So do you think its dumb that BHVR brought the sexual relationship of Sally Smithson into the game? Do you think that its silly that people think its cool that we have a story behind the character that is relatable and creates a sort of 'reality' to their choice to kill people?

    LGBTQ+ aren't inherently more sexualized than straight people. Its just that straight people don't get that they talk about their sex life ALL THE TIME and don't even realize it because its superliminal. It is actually just as weird once you start thinking about how often people very openly declare that something is occurring that proves they had sex with someone of the opposite gender, for example. No one thinks that shouldn't be done, but the second someone says 'I have a boyfriend' people instantly get really invasive about their sex life because they see being gay as purely a sex thing. Like its a kink, rather than, you know, love.

    If no? Then you have a double standard here: It is only weird to want more reality in the case of that reality reflecting the existence of LGBTQ+ people.

    If yes? Congrats, your... kinda weird... I don't think DBD would be as successful a game if it used an abstract art style, had no lore, iconic characters, story bits, ect.

    Hell, the the narrative of the game actually even has in game effects, you ever notice pig mains are weird and often invent little games to play with survivors when they are winning? That is an example of elements that aren't strictly mechanical gameplay elements elevating the game. Those moments are fantastic.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803445#Comment_1803445

    We're talking about original characters, not licensed ones.

    I dont play bill because hes a white army bad ass but because i love his story in left for dead

  • @freddymybae said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803429#Comment_1803429

    so just ignore them and never put them in a game got it

    Yeah sure you can pretend I said that if you want if it helps you sleep at night. Its kinda transparently not though.

  • I can already imagine the clichés perks names ;


    Poppers, rainbow flag, Pride Walk

    Nah honnestly i dont care bout a LGBT char

    We already had Manly Nea and PowerBottom David King

  • OK? That doesn't change the fact that everything about a character is meant as a selling point.

  • @Venzhas said:

    I can already imagine the clichés perks names ;

    Poppers, rainbow flag, Pride Walk

    Nah honnestly i dont care bout a LGBT char

    We already had Manly Nea and PowerBottom David King

    Parody is beautiful, because its often a self portrait. Its so interesting you think this, but not that Feng Min's perks should reference her being good at math and bad at driving.

    Hell they don't even really reference her status as an MLG pro-gamer. Your imagining a ridiculous situation SPECIFICALLY to shoot it down, one that doesn't match how any other survivor links their perks to their thematic identity.

    We don't have a Hispanic survivor yet. Which is a pretty clear gap. Do you think we shouldn't do that because inevitably they would be named Pablo, have a sombrero, and be prone to napping in their perks? Should we never have a survivor who isn't a straight cis white dude because anyone having any aspect of their identity which you don't consider 'default' instantly makes that the character's SOLE character trait?

    Like the reality you posit in order to shoot this down is farcical on the face of it and its sad you feel so threatened here you needed to invent this nonsense to attack.

  • @dezzmont said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803428#Comment_1803428

    Your imagining being LGBTQ+ as purely a sexual experience. Like mentioning someone is LGBTQ+ is bringing their sex life into the game.

    So do you think its dumb that BHVR brought the sexual relationship of Sally Smithson into the game? Do you think that its silly that people think its cool that we have a story behind the character that is relatable and creates a sort of 'reality' to their choice to kill people?

    LGBTQ+ aren't inherently more sexualized than straight people. Its just that straight people don't get that they talk about their sex life ALL THE TIME and don't even realize it because its superliminal. It is actually just as weird once you start thinking about how often people very openly declare that something is occurring that proves they had sex with someone of the opposite gender, for example. No one thinks that shouldn't be done, but the second someone says 'I have a boyfriend' people instantly get really invasive about their sex life because they see being gay as purely a sex thing. Like its a kink, rather than, you know, love.

    If no? Then you have a double standard here: It is only weird to want more reality in the case of that reality reflecting the existence of LGBTQ+ people.

    If yes? Congrats, your... kinda weird... I don't think DBD would be as successful a game if it used an abstract art style, had no lore, iconic characters, story bits, ect.

    Hell, the the narrative of the game actually even has in game effects, you ever notice pig mains are weird and often invent little games to play with survivors when they are winning? That is an example of elements that aren't strictly mechanical gameplay elements elevating the game. Those moments are fantastic.

    You don't get to decide what I think and that's where you're wrong, you sit here and act like I'm discriminating and that's not the case at all, also what about legion and nea? They're obviously LGBT but just because it's not in the lore people complain and as a nurse main I couldn't care at all what sally's relationship was, for the last time: Im not against it they could add it now and I'd probably play whoever it was , yes I like the ICONIC back stories but I don't even care about the originals and I dont understand why the heck anyone would want a backstory that talks about the relationships these people were in before the game because it doesn't help me when I'm playing and straight or gay I simply just don't care do what you please or what makes you happy, I just don't see how a relationship of any kind really plays into the game no matter what they are

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803453#Comment_1803453

    You don't get to decide what I think and that's where you're wrong, you sit here and act like I'm discriminating and that's not the case at all, also what about legion and nea? They're obviously LGBT but just because it's not in the lore people complain and as a nurse main I couldn't care at all what sally's relationship was, for the last time: Im not against it they could add it now and I'd probably play whoever it was , yes I like the ICONIC back stories but I don't even care about the originals and I dont understand why the heck anyone would want a backstory that talks about the relationships these people were in before the game because it doesn't help me when I'm playing and straight or gay I simply just don't care do what you please or what makes you happy, I just don't see how a relationship of any kind really plays into the game no matter what they are

    also what about legion and nea? They're obviously LGBT

    How are they "obviously LGBT"? Please, do tell. Is it because Nea is ugly and the Legion are four people?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803479#Comment_1803479

    also what about legion and nea? They're obviously LGBT

    How are they "obviously LGBT"? Please, do tell. Is it because Nea is ugly and the Legion are four people?

    Nea maybe a speculation on my part, and I thought legion was one person who had different personalities and one of those is a female but the guy is a male? That's what I always took from it , like I said I don't read into the lore very much so I couldn't tell you the whole backstory of any of these people who aren't iconic

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803436#Comment_1803436

    Because I dont want to add LGBT characters for no reason other than them being LBGT its dumb, personally I hate the idea of exploring what characters like what straight or not I don't play DBD to want to know who Dwight wants to fook.

    Who said the LGBT characters are just going to be LGBT? They can make cool, fleshed out characters that are also LGBT.

    Also, if you hate the idea of characters' sexuality being explored I'm sure you're already upset at the devs right? On account of the many heterosexual relationships in the game?

    Or you're not angry because you don't read the lore. So adding an LGBT character won't bother you, because you won't have to read their lore either.

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803486#Comment_1803486

    Nea maybe a speculation on my part, and I thought legion was one person who had different personalities and one of those is a female but the guy is a male? That's what I always took from it , like I said I don't read into the lore very much so I couldn't tell you the whole backstory of any of these people who aren't iconic

    You should definitely read the characters' lore if you're going to comment on it.

    No, the Legion does not have DID. The Legion is literally four separate people, two of whom are in a romantic relationship that was the main focus for their Tome.

  • This content has been removed.
  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803453#Comment_1803453

    You don't get to decide what I think and that's where you're wrong, you sit here and act like I'm discriminating and that's not the case at all, also what about legion and nea? They're obviously LGBT but just because it's not in the lore people complain and as a nurse main I couldn't care at all what sally's relationship was, for the last time: Im not against it they could add it now and I'd probably play whoever it was , yes I like the ICONIC back stories but I don't even care about the originals and I dont understand why the heck anyone would want a backstory that talks about the relationships these people were in before the game because it doesn't help me when I'm playing and straight or gay I simply just don't care do what you please or what makes you happy, I just don't see how a relationship of any kind really plays into the game no matter what they are

    I am saying you should examine your own thought process and self reflect. Often times prejudice is dangerous because its invisible to us and we don't realize we are treating people differently than we treat other people or we try to justify to ourselves a valid reason for doing so by any means necessary to avoid cognitive dissonance, which to be clear is in fact 100% what your doing.

    Like you... literally don't know that there are multiple characters with sexual relationships that are quite important to their story. Do you like Freddy? His sexuality is kiiiinda important to his story because he had a wife and kid. Its actually a HUGE aspect to the Friday the 13th stories. Like so much of the plot just would not happen if Freddy never went to pound town on someone.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803490#Comment_1803490

    You should definitely read the characters' lore if you're going to comment on it.

    No, the Legion does not have DID. The Legion is literally four separate people, two of whom are in a romantic relationship that was the main focus for their Tome.

    Well that's news to me , I honestly don't care either way just like if they added the LGBT I wouldnt care and would play the character, but why add a straight or LGBT relationship to the game at all was my point? I guess it's too late because the devs already added those so I can see why some people would want it added now

  • @dezzmont said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803479#Comment_1803479

    I mean... you clearly are discriminating and engaging in mental gymnastics to justify your distaste of this announcement, spouting things that are nakedly untrue and even making things up before admitting you have no reason to know what you know.

    I am not saying that makes you a bad person. I am saying you should examine your own thought process and self reflect. Often times prejudice is dangerous because its invisible to us and we don't realize we are treating people differently than we treat other people or we try to justify to ourselves a valid reason for doing so by any means necessary to avoid cognitive dissonance, which to be clear is in fact 100% what your doing. I

    But that's not what I'm doing you can live in your own fantasy world and believe what you want but you don't know ######### about me or what I believe , you're doing nothing but assuming things and trying to make it something it's not to fit your narrative

  • @The_Krapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803495#Comment_1803495

    Well that's news to me , I honestly don't care either way just like if they added the LGBT I wouldnt care and would play the character, but why add a straight or LGBT relationship to the game at all was my point? I guess it's too late because the devs already added those so I can see why some people would want it added now

    Initially the devs weren't going to add relationships at all, but then they forgot about that and added the Nurse (and more - all heterosexual). Now they said they weren't going to restrict themselves by only adding heterosexual characters. Nobody forced their hand, there was no "outrage" about anything. The devs decided to do it because they realized they were unwittingly excluding LGBT characters. That's all.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1803501#Comment_1803501

    Initially the devs weren't going to add relationships at all, but then they forgot about that and added the Nurse (and more - all heterosexual). Now they said they weren't going to restrict themselves by only adding heterosexual characters. Nobody forced their hand, there was no "outrage" about anything. The devs decided to do it because they realized they were unwittingly excluding LGBT characters. That's all.

    Well like I said I get it now and at least you're mature about it unlike this other asshat who thinks I'm discriminating and keeps posting the ######### wall of china on here

  • @JesusOnWheels said:

    pyramid head is lgbtq

    Pyramid head is actually a physical manifestation of a lot of heterosexual angst and guilt of the degrading nature of Jame's relationship. Like that isn't even a joke that is literally what he is, he originated in Silent Hill 2 as the piece of Jame's psyche that was frustrated with the sexual dimension of his relationship with his wife going away when she got terribly sick, and Pyramid head was deliberately very sexually aggressive (including a scene where he actively mutilated representations of Jame's love for Mary). Almost every monster in 2 is a reflection of some negative aspect of Jame's previously perfect relationship with Mary.

    He is absolutely a snack, sure. But he is like... literally the straight Id.

  • To make a follow-up to the hundreds of comments, rather than replying individualy:

    My point is that "representation" really isn't important. What matters in a game is whether or not the gameplay is good. It wouldn't matter if the Survivors were blank character models, as long as they work.

    I wouldn't care if every survivor was black, or white, or asian, or gay, or any trait someone can have. As long as they play well.

    And to the people saying "there's no reason not to" it's definitely an extra headache on the lore/design team to mach a gay character, not have it be their token, make correct cosmetics, AND deal with people who REALLY didn't want it.

    You're no worse off if you don't get it.

  • @Awakey said:

    To make a follow-up to the hundreds of comments, rather than replying individualy:

    My point is that "representation" really isn't important. What matters in a game is whether or not the gameplay is good. It wouldn't matter if the Survivors were blank character models, as long as they work.

    I wouldn't care if every survivor was black, or white, or asian, or gay, or any trait someone can have. As long as they play well.

    And to the people saying "there's no reason not to" it's definitely an extra headache on the lore/design team to mach a gay character, not have it be their token, make correct cosmetics, AND deal with people who REALLY didn't want it.

    You're no worse off if you don't get it.

    And to the people saying "there's no reason not to" it's definitely an extra headache on the lore/design team to mach a gay character, not have it be their token, make correct cosmetics, AND deal with people who REALLY didn't want it.

    It's definitely not. Somehow they managed to do with for non-white non-male characters.

    You're no worse off if you don't get it.

    But many people will be better off if they do get it.

  • @Awakey said:

    To make a follow-up to the hundreds of comments, rather than replying individualy:

    My point is that "representation" really isn't important. What matters in a game is whether or not the gameplay is good. It wouldn't matter if the Survivors were blank character models, as long as they work.

    I wouldn't care if every survivor was black, or white, or asian, or gay, or any trait someone can have. As long as they play well.

    And to the people saying "there's no reason not to" it's definitely an extra headache on the lore/design team to mach a gay character, not have it be their token, make correct cosmetics, AND deal with people who REALLY didn't want it.

    You're no worse off if you don't get it.

    It may not matter to you but there are people for which it is important.

    the design team may actually like to create such a character, you don’t know that. Actually we already got confirmation that there is at least one character in the cast that is LGBT+, it was just never stated which one.

  • @Awakey said:

    Why?

    Let me preface by saying I'm not LGBT-phobic or spreading hate speech or anything, I'm just stating my opinion.

    If a character is made ONLY to be LGBT and that's their WHOLE personality, then it wouldn't be a good addition, neither would cheesily integrating it into a character's current lore.

    WHY does it matter if there's an LGBT character? Why do we need one? What's the point? "oH hEY gUys, wE aDdeD An LGBT cHaRIcTer." I don't care whether my character is a regular ass person or a goddamn gay tomato, I just want the gameplay to be good.

    There just isn't a reason.

    Thank you for coming to my very short TED talk.

    @BadMrFrosty said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/211832/i-get-that-people-want-an-lgbt-character-but

    It doesn't matter, it's essentially begging to be pandered to. I've always thought that things like orientation don't contribute anything truly meaningful to a character's development, especially if that's their whole 'selling point'. "Look, a gay character! We added them!" Sounds more like a circus act announcing its unusual freak show star than a genuine attempt at crafting something interesting and new. The best part is that the people that would rather not be viewed this way are typically silent on the issue, and those who advocate for them are often part of a very persistent, vocal minority that look to virtue signal.

    @jotaro said:

    I agree 100%. This stuff doesn't belong to DbD.

    I can agree....there is a difference between Pandering and actually creating a character to show proper representation.

    the recent DC Comics "I'm Not Starfire" is a perfect example they specifically highlight the fact she is a lesbian....why does that matter so much to be defined in a summary for the comic series?

1 2 3 4 5