So let's stop calling perks crutches.

It's like every perk you run as a survivor is considered a crutch. Whatnso you want me to do put on dark sense? I mean if you wanna call survivor perks crutches so are killers. Arent crutches just anything that helps you?

Either stop calling every good survivor perm a crutch or admit technically every perk I ls a crutch killer or survivor.

Tagged: Dev

Comments

  • @Sluzzy said:

    I can't think of a survivor perk that is a crutch. However, any perk that slows the game down, provides a wallhack with simple ease, stops the opponent objective from being completed, removes objective progress, or hinders the objective from being completed are crutches. No survivor perk helps them complete gens faster or rewards them, especially in correlation to how the killer plays.

    Killers have a lot of crutches and they use them every game.

    "No survivor perk helps them complete gens faster or rewards them" *Dark sense, leader, resilience, and prove thyself have entered the chat*

  • @SaltyRainbow said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1635997#Comment_1635997

    and i see mostly pop, bbq, ruin + undying, noed and corrupt intervention when i play survivor^^

    the most common spirit build is pop, bbq, stridor and noed or nurses calling.

    Nobody runs nurses on spirit, and everyone already knows that noes is op, it is the only true crutch perk, and yes undying makes it better, but how many times has a good build Idea been ######### by some random vrainlet who spawns on you're totem

  • Crutches dont help you, they carry you. If someone needs to run perks that give them second chances, then yes, they are crutches. If someone runs them but doesn't need them, then they are just strong perks. How can you tell the difference? Because crutch users constantly complain the moment their mistakes aren't fixed for them.

    And stop making everything is Vs them, it's so damn annoying. "Oh, survivors are the only ones that get called out for using crutches, oh woe is me." NOED gets more hate as a crutch than anything and you conveniently forgot about that. In fact, somehow, for some insane reason, people have began to call BBQ, Corrupt and even Pop crutch perks.

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    . . . what? You consider those crutches? I don't think you understand what crutch means, in this case. . .

  • @Rivyn said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1635446#Comment_1635446

    . . . what? You consider those crutches? I don't think you understand what crutch means, in this case. . .

    Haunted grounds so OP, pls nurf, lol!

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636286#Comment_1636286

    "No survivor perk helps them complete gens faster or rewards them" *Dark sense, leader, resilience, and prove thyself have entered the chat*

    So leader and prove thyself was nerfed. Resilence means you have to stay injured. They are all bad.

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    As a survivor main I can confirm those are not crutches.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1635446#Comment_1635446

    As a survivor main I can confirm those are not crutches.

    They literally just named all the fair perks that reward the killer for playing well, and didn't even name NOED.

    They said haunted grounds is a crutch and didn't name noed.


  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636362#Comment_1636362

    They literally just named all the fair perks that reward the killer for playing well, and didn't even name NOED.

    They said haunted grounds is a crutch and didn't name noed.

    Haunted grounds is not a crutch though that's the thing. This is a delusional survivor main.

  • Maybe when certain perks stop meeting the criteria of being a crutch (perk that gives a extremely strong benefit with no input from the player using it to benefit from its effect) I'll stop calling them crutch perks but until that day happens ill call them what they are.

  • @NepalibyDaylight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636231#Comment_1636231

    Lol. Legit most of the killer and survivor perks are crutches including most of those listed with the exception of pop and bbq. The majority do /not/ require good gameplay. They rely on the other side either doing their objective, on RNG or immediately getting the effect. With that being said, so what? There is nothing wrong with the perks existing. The problem is that many of the perks just aren't desirable. It is silly to complain about 'crutch perks' while using crutch add ons and crutch offerings. Run whatever you want, if something is unbalanced address it but saying 'u weak u use crutch' is silly when most are running their own crutches even if they aren't the most meta.

    Lol. No a majority of survivor and killer perks are not crutches

    And it makes sense for killer perks to require less attention and be more passive as killers have more on their plate in game, but all survivors have to do is hold m1 out of chase and hold w in chase

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1635565#Comment_1635565

    Dude a survivor made a post asking for advice on how to counter a certain killer and he to shut it down due to backlash. You tend to have a more killer sided view which is cool whatever but in a killer sided forum that gets upvotes.

    Its obvious unreasonable things get shutdown but there are comments or posts about how survivors want easy wins or dont want to change their playstyle? How about the comments that say survivors wanna bully killer in swf? That stuff doesnt get commented on its accepted.

    People aren't upvoting you because the forum is biased, people aren't upvoting you because your viewpoints are flawed.

  • @bubbabrotha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1635574#Comment_1635574

    People aren't upvoting you because the forum is biased, people aren't upvoting you because your viewpoints are flawed.

    I dont care about upvotes I dont have a flawed view I play both sides. I try to talk about things objectively my posts are things I have seen and choose to bring up.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636467#Comment_1636467

    I dont care about upvotes I dont have a flawed view I play both sides. I try to talk about things objectively my posts are things I have seen and choose to bring up.

    I'm sorry that I made this post. I shouldn't have but I did so in a heated state. I apologise. Even if I don't agree with some of your points, I shouldn't have been a jerk.

  • Look at this survivor with their wheelchair perks again

  • What killer ever said there weren't crutch perks for killers?

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    Already calling undying a crutch perk? Half the time it doesn't even save your hex because it gets taken first

  • @Kolonite said:

    What killer ever said there weren't crutch perks for killers?

    I never said that I was merely pointing out its almost every good survivor perk is crutch or second chance how about read my post and see.

  • @bubbabrotha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636639#Comment_1636639

    I'm sorry that I made this post. I shouldn't have but I did so in a heated state. I apologise. Even if I don't agree with some of your points, I shouldn't have been a jerk.

    I dont mind I'm used to it. Dont worry about I'm not gonna take any offense to it.

  • @NepalibyDaylight said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636438#Comment_1636438

    The effects, descriptions and requirements of the perks say otherwise.

    Why should you have to save a city to activate one perk. That's why deliverance isnt meta getting a hook save isnt as easy as you think so qmany things that could happen especially spawning by the killer. There is nothing wrong with strong perks killer or survivor.

  • @bjorksnas said:

    Maybe when certain perks stop meeting the criteria of being a crutch (perk that gives a extremely strong benefit with no input from the player using it to benefit from its effect) I'll stop calling them crutch perks but until that day happens ill call them what they are.

    Not like bbq and chili takes much input litterally just play the game like normally and be awarded the survivors position and extra bp.

  • There is a very small pool of what we consider crutch perks on the dev team. Technician and Unrelenting come to mind.

  • @Almo said:

    There is a very small pool of what we consider crutch perks on the dev team. Technician and Unrelenting come to mind.

    That makes perfect sense one Carrie's your miss swings and the other carts your missed skill checks.

  • @Almo said:

    There is a very small pool of what we consider crutch perks on the dev team. Technician and Unrelenting come to mind.

    As an unrelenting technician, I feel personally offended by this.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637327#Comment_1637327

    As an unrelenting technician, I feel personally offended by this.

    I apologize, I did not intend any insult. There are exceptions to every rule! :)

  • @Almo said:

    There is a very small pool of what we consider crutch perks on the dev team. Technician and Unrelenting come to mind.

    Eh, I think technician is half a crutch, since it has two effects. The part where it doesn't blow up gens is a crutch, but the quiet repairs aren't really.

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    some of those are hardly crutches compared to perks like DS and Unbreakable

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1636431#Comment_1636431

    Not like bbq and chili takes much input litterally just play the game like normally and be awarded the survivors position and extra bp.

    But it still takes input to get its effect, which by like definition would make it not a crutch, what do you do for unbreakables strong effect have the perk

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637326#Comment_1637326

    But it still takes input to get its effect, which by like definition would make it not a crutch, what do you do for unbreakables strong effect have the perk

    get down like fool not hard

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637326#Comment_1637326

    But it still takes input to get its effect, which by like definition would make it not a crutch, what do you do for unbreakables strong effect have the perk

    The input is you doing your normal objectives. Seriously. Unbreakable you need to get slugged theres a requirement. Aldo if the killer chases a survivor back titok the slug is unbreakable a problem? I've started doing that and the perk becomes considerably more weak.

  • Depends, a perk is only crutch if you can't play without it and that varies from person to person ? πŸ€”

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    If you genuinely think HG, Ruin, or Corrupt are crutches, you need to get good and leave rank 20. Undying is fairly mediocre as well as the perks that would benefit most(DH, Lullaby, and Third Seal) all reset when they move. Pop and BBQ are literally the opposite of crutches because they don't even do anything unless you hook a survivor.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637371#Comment_1637371

    The input is you doing your normal objectives. Seriously. Unbreakable you need to get slugged theres a requirement. Aldo if the killer chases a survivor back titok the slug is unbreakable a problem? I've started doing that and the perk becomes considerably more weak.

    No, being slugged is a prerequisite which generally all perks require so calling the prerequisite a reason to not require input for a strong effect is wrong. Example of perk that has a prerequisite, strong effect, and requires input from the player to get the effect deliverence

    Prerequisite be on hook

    Strong effect Unhook self 100% of the time on first stage

    Input required Safe unhook another survivor

    Now unbreakable in the same format

    Prerequisite be in the dying state

    Strong effect recover faster and pick yourself up off the ground once per game

    Input required (none)

    As you can see if the perk has a strong effect without requiring input from the player that generally by definition makes it a crutch perk

    Aldo if the killer chases a survivor back titok the slug is unbreakable a problem (I don't know what this says / means)

  • Calling perks crutches and calling people who beat you bad is like telling someone they're using crutches for having a 50 cal sniper in COD and telling them they're bad for killing you with it , same difference except one community can't take a loss without making every excuse in and out of the book on why they lost, refusing to accept responsibility for their faults it's like a bunch of children in a toy store , they say that bad survivors and killers use x y and z perks to carry them but in all reality without those perks the survivors or killers aren't gonna play the same way they would with them, survivors aren't gonna try and make a killer eat DS if they don't have it they'll play different, it's irrelevant to call anything legal in game a crutch

  • @bjorksnas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637548#Comment_1637548

    No, being slugged is a prerequisite which generally all perks require so calling the prerequisite a reason to not require input for a strong effect is wrong. Example of perk that has a prerequisite, strong effect, and requires input from the player to get the effect deliverence

    Prerequisite be on hook

    Strong effect Unhook self 100% of the time on first stage

    Input required Safe unhook another survivor

    Now unbreakable in the same format

    Prerequisite be in the dying state

    Strong effect recover faster and pick yourself up off the ground once per game

    Input required (none)

    As you can see if the perk has a strong effect without requiring input from the player that generally by definition makes it a crutch perk

    Aldo if the killer chases a survivor back titok the slug is unbreakable a problem (I don't know what this says / means)

    I think it's clear by definition a crutch is something you cant win without. Meaning every perk is a crutch if you rely on it. Also sure it doesnt have a quest to do to activate it but the perk does exactly what it was made to do: counter slugging.

    Almost everyone here is saying it's a perk that you cant win without not a perk that requires no input. That would make ruin a crutch because its requires no input to get value correct?

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637327#Comment_1637327

    Eh, I think technician is half a crutch, since it has two effects. The part where it doesn't blow up gens is a crutch, but the quiet repairs aren't really.

    That is a good point; that effect is still useful.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637576#Comment_1637576

    I think it's clear by definition a crutch is something you cant win without. Meaning every perk is a crutch if you rely on it. Also sure it doesnt have a quest to do to activate it but the perk does exactly what it was made to do: counter slugging.

    Almost everyone here is saying it's a perk that you cant win without not a perk that requires no input. That would make ruin a crutch because its requires no input to get value correct?

    Ruin wouldn't be a crutch because its not an extremely strong effect and if you want it to last longer you have to give up half of your perk slots for one decent effect, its strong against solo queue without kindred because forcing people off gens to go for saves is where ruin works best but against good players who split on gens ruin is no help

    "crutch From a gaming perspective, a crutch is the use of an item or technique that is considered easier or generally way better than most options available,"

    Unbreakable is a crutch by definition because its easy to use and for its effect its stronger than other available options

    Deliverance is not a crutch because while it has a strong effect its not easy to use because it requires input

  • @Almo said:

    There is a very small pool of what we consider crutch perks on the dev team. Technician and Unrelenting come to mind.

    I'm curious, what's the definition you go with when it comes to the term "crutch", if any?

    Personally I've always viewed it as something that lowers the skill floor AND the skill ceiling at the same time, but just from this thread it seems like there's quite a variety in the definitions people use. If you guys work with a clear definition of the term in mind it would be interesting to hear it πŸ˜„

  • @GrimmReaper said:

    If you can't perform well without perks and have to heavily rely on them then yeah, they're crutches.

    I totally agree with this. Idk how many times I've walked into a game with DS, BT, DH, UB. And escaped workout even using them

  • @oxygen said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637327#Comment_1637327

    I'm curious, what's the definition you go with when it comes to the term "crutch", if any?

    Personally I've always viewed it as something that lowers the skill floor AND the skill ceiling at the same time, but just from this thread it seems like there's quite a variety in the definitions people use. If you guys work with a clear definition of the term in mind it would be interesting to hear it πŸ˜„

    We think of it as taking care of an issue that new players have, and veteran players don't. This is why Unrelenting is the prime example. Veteran Killers miss far fewer of their shots than new players, so the utility of this perk goes way down as you get better at the game.

    I know we can construe this to mean that every perk is a crutch as if you were so good you wouldn't really need any perks anyway. But that's not a terribly useful path to go down.

    So in the end, it's really a judgement call. I'm just trying to give some insight into how we look at those.

  • @Almo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1637621#Comment_1637621

    We think of it as taking care of an issue that new players have, and veteran players don't. This is why Unrelenting is the prime example. Veteran Killers miss far fewer of their shots than new players, so the utility of this perk goes way down as you get better at the game.

    I know we can construe this to mean that every perk is a crutch as if you were so good you wouldn't really need any perks anyway. But that's not a terribly useful path to go down.

    So in the end, it's really a judgement call. I'm just trying to give some insight into how we look at those.

    Cool, that makes sense. Sorta like "training wheels", and I don't mean that in a bad way - nothing inherently wrong with stuff like that πŸ‘οΈ

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    Killers definitely have crutch perks not gonna name any- UNDYING, RUIN, POP, HAUNTED, CORRUPT, BBQ, SOME MORE THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER. Other than that I guess only survivors only have crutches

    bbq is crutch?? Since when?πŸ˜‚

  • Many killers consider survivor perks crutches because they don’t understand how the game works.

    I recently had someone tell me in post chat that exhaustion perks should be taken out of the game, to which I replied give me a weapon to fight back and I will gladly agree.

    You only have to play survivor to understand that your role is to survive by whatever means necessary. The perks open up more possibilities in scenarios where you would otherwise be dead, but it is not always guaranteed that they will help.

    It’s like, I’m sorry that my Unbreakable got me up once out of the 10 times you have slugged me. 🀣

  • so many people have been @ me for that. It's a crutch perk for newer players. More veteran players won't need it but that's why I call that one a crutch. Most of the ones I named were just the perks I see every game. People were reading to hard into it lmao

  • I think one of the biggest crutches to have ever been in the game was old mettle of man

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1638798#Comment_1638798

    so many people have been @ me for that. It's a crutch perk for newer players. More veteran players won't need it but that's why I call that one a crutch. Most of the ones I named were just the perks I see every game. People were reading to hard into it lmao

    Veteran here and I will continue to run bbq on my oni for bp, its potential, and most importantly it not being a crutch.

  • @azame said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1639183#Comment_1639183

    Veteran here and I will continue to run bbq on my oni for bp, its potential, and most importantly it not being a crutch.

    Like I said, more veteran players wouldn't consider it a crutch. People were getting mad that I mentioned some of these perks lol. But honestly I should've expected that.

  • @YehBoiGoku said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1638798#Comment_1638798

    so many people have been @ me for that. It's a crutch perk for newer players. More veteran players won't need it but that's why I call that one a crutch. Most of the ones I named were just the perks I see every game. People were reading to hard into it lmao

    Nothing crutch about more bp

  • I think it would be interesting to watch a tournament where people play a vanilla version of the game with no perks/items/add-ons.

    For regular play, though, I don't understand the idea that the purest, most authentic, best way to play would be to opt out of one of the main features by not using perks. If the perks allow you to win, then... that is their purpose, is it not? If you want to call them a crutch, then you can call literally any other part of the game a crutch. Using pallets is a crutch. Kicking generators is a crutch. 360s are a crutch. The killer's special ability is a crutch.

    If specific perks don't feel balanced, that's a fair thing to discuss, but it doesn't make sense to me to arbitrarily decide that anybody "should" be able to win without using part of the game.

  • I'm surprised you didn't use old Hex: Ruin as a example of a killer crutch.